tintin++ suggestions

Jonathan R. Seagrave

Aug 3, 1994, 11:35:23 PM8/3/94
I've a few ideas concerning the improvement of tintin++. For reference,
currently I'm using v1.5p14. Although, actually, I haven't bothered to read
the documentation since v1.2b or so; I hope I'm not asking for since-added
features.

I think a "cancel line" key (I've used ^X) might be nice. What I mean by this
is to allow the intriped mudder to cancel whatever command he (or she... don't
get me wrong) may have typed without having to backspace all the way through a
possibly long input line.

A second and less trivial modification could be made to the variable parser.
When an action/substitution/highlight/whatever is interpreted by the parser It
should be possible to search for keywords within the string or extract specific
words from a variable. For example:

if
#var TARGET = cityguard
#action {^%%$TARGET %% leaves down} {#if {$AUTOCHASE = 1} {down;kill
$TARGET}}

then any string such as:
The Cityguard leaves down.
The dwarven Cityguard flees and leaves down.
A gigantic elven Cityguard yawns, spits at you and leaves down.
could all be caught by this action.

Case sensitivity is probably a bad idea.

It'd be really nice if tintin++ could parse for segments of words as well.
e.g. $TARGET = guard could work as well with Cityguard as with guard.

It's beginning to sound like I want tintin++ to be as capable at string parsing
(and as obfuscatory) as PERL. I'd better stop while I'm ahead.

Any more ideas?

-- jrs

Joe DiMaggio

Aug 4, 1994, 11:25:21 AM8/4/94
Jonathan R. Seagrave (j...@doek.uoregon.edu) spake thusly:
: I've a few ideas concerning the improvement of tintin++.

[good ideas deleted]

: Any more ideas?

I only have one...

Strip out ANSI codes from the strings received from the mud before checking
for #actions, etc. One generic routine will work for all the codes, since
it's only necessary to strip'em, not interpret'em.

Joe D

JayBird

Aug 4, 1994, 1:45:50 AM8/4/94
Jonathan R. Seagrave (j...@doek.uoregon.edu) wrote:
:>I've a few ideas concerning the improvement of tintin++. For reference,
[majority of post deleted]
:>Any more ideas?

Yes. I wish gag would realy gag whatever you are trying to get rid of.
What I mean is this:
Lag man gossips, 'I talk way too much!'

#gag {Lag man gossips, 'I talk way too much!'

So the next time the stupid mob gossips, it is gagged. BUT.. I still get a
blank line, which is about as annoying as the message itself. The place this
really bothers me is when I am just on a mud to listen to the gossip and
don't want to see You are hungry, You are thirsty. every five minutes. Even
after it is gagged, I get the two blank lines every five minutes. Maybe I
am doing something wrong, I don't know. If it is built in to tintin, please,
change it.

J. Pierce
jpi...@tamu.edu

:>-- jrs

Someone

Aug 4, 1994, 3:35:10 PM8/4/94
: Strip out ANSI codes from the strings received from the mud before checking

: for #actions, etc. One generic routine will work for all the codes, since
: it's only necessary to strip'em, not interpret'em.

: Joe D

Good idea. Having to turn the mud color off to get your actions triggered
is upsetting. I love the highlight feature of tt++, however there are
certain things the mud's color can handle better than tintin (i.e.
Coloring room names).

-outkast

Nguyen Anh D Le

Aug 4, 1994, 4:32:09 PM8/4/94

How about this:
#var {tank} {BigGuyWithHPS}
#action {joins in the fight with $tank} {join $tank}

Now this works fine and all, but as far as I know, it works fine only
when tank is in your coms files. Does the action have to get reset
every time you change $tank from within your session? Maybe it's just
a mistake on my part.

Secondly, how about #tabsave? You can add, delete, etc. Why not let
yourself save to the file? Like append it to the end or something.

I am currently running 1.5pl1, so if there have been changes to these
since then, I wouldn't know :)

Nguyen-Anh D. Le Undergraduate
305 North Case Hall Department of Computer Science generic quote
E. Lansing, MI 48825 Michigan State University -anonymous
(517) 355-7026 l...@cps.msu.edu

Harvey Gilpin

Aug 4, 1994, 11:46:11 AM8/4/94
JayBird (jep9236@tam2000) wrote:
[Brutaly snipped :)]
: I still get a
: blank line, which is about as annoying as the message itself. The place this
: really bothers me is when I am just on a mud to listen to the gossip and
: don't want to see You are hungry, You are thirsty. every five minutes. Even
: after it is gagged, I get the two blank lines every five minutes.

Hmmmm,

I know what you mean, but I don't think this is easily overcome. Imagine
you have:

#gag {^You are hungry}

then the MUD sends:

<hp:666 mov:101>
You are hungry.
<hp:666 mov:101>

So, tintin will gag the line and send you:

<hp:666 mov:101>
<hp:666 mov:101>

As I hope you can see by this, It's not tintin that creates the extra line
just a consequence of the gag. I suppose it _could_ be made to get arround,
by perhaps not sending a line after a gag if it is identical to the previous,
but this would be messy...

: J. Pierce
: jpi...@tamu.edu

Rv.
--
Email: h...@mx1.uk.mdis.com Disclaimer: It wasn't me, I didn't do it.

JayBird

Aug 4, 1994, 6:21:05 PM8/4/94
Harvey Gilpin (h...@mx1.uk.mdis.com) wrote:

:>JayBird (jep9236@tam2000) wrote:
:>[Brutaly snipped :)]
[self-snippage]
:>: after it is gagged, I get the two blank lines every five minutes.

:>Hmmmm,

:>I know what you mean, but I don't think this is easily overcome. Imagine
:>you have:

:>#gag {^You are hungry}

:>then the MUD sends:

:><hp:666 mov:101>
:>You are hungry.
:><hp:666 mov:101>

:>So, tintin will gag the line and send you:

:><hp:666 mov:101>
:><hp:666 mov:101>

No, the problem is that I get this:
<hp:666 mov:101>

<hp:666 mov:101>

Notice the blank line between the two. What I need is to
#gag {^You are hungry.^M}
^^ so that it would take that out too. Is there any
way to do that from within tintin (ie instert control chars). I know that
you can do it when you are editing com files, I have done it with a script
I made. You can insert the control chars from the editor. But this is not
so easy to do if you want to gag something once you are on the mud, which
is usually the case.

Actually, now that I think of it, you could take care of it by
#gag {^You are hungry.^M<%0>^M}
but this once again goes back to the original point of having to use the
editor.

Harvey Gilpin

Aug 5, 1994, 5:24:58 AM8/5/94
JayBird (jep9236@tam2000) wrote:
[More snippage]

| No, the problem is that I get this:
| <hp:666 mov:101>
|
| <hp:666 mov:101>

Ah ha !
This is prolly coz your MUD is sending a new-line b4 each prompt. This can
be turned off by toggling the 'compact' toggle. This will get rid of your
new-line problem, but you will still get the double prompt.
*shrug*

Talking of tintin suggestions, '#else' additions to #if would be cool.

David A. Wagner

Aug 4, 1994, 12:59:46 PM8/4/94
In article <31r191$8...@giga.bga.com>, Joe DiMaggio <jo...@bga.com> wrote:

> Strip out ANSI codes from the strings received from the mud before checking
> for #actions, etc. One generic routine will work for all the codes, since
> it's only necessary to strip'em, not interpret'em.

Well, I don't think it's possible to "just strip 'em" without also
doing some interpretation. The escape codes are of variable length,
and sometimes you have to parse the whole damn thing to know how
long it is. Blech.

If you have any suggestions on a clean way to do this, maybe I'll
get around to implementing it for v2.0. But I'm fresh outta ideas.

David Wagner dawa...@princeton.edu

Joe DiMaggio

Aug 5, 1994, 4:59:43 PM8/5/94
David A. Wagner (dawa...@tucson.Princeton.EDU) spake thusly:

: In article <31r191$8...@giga.bga.com>, Joe DiMaggio <jo...@bga.com> wrote:
: >
: > Strip out ANSI codes from the strings received from the mud before checking
: > for #actions, etc. One generic routine will work for all the codes, since
: > it's only necessary to strip'em, not interpret'em.
: >

: Well, I don't think it's possible to "just strip 'em" without also
: doing some interpretation. The escape codes are of variable length,
: and sometimes you have to parse the whole damn thing to know how
: long it is. Blech.

: If you have any suggestions on a clean way to do this, maybe I'll
: get around to implementing it for v2.0. But I'm fresh outta ideas.

Every ANSI code breaks down into ESC-[-<optional ASCII numbers seperated by
;'s>-LETTER. The letter is what governs the function of the code.

CAUTION! DANGER WILL ROBINSON! I'm keying this in online! I do not know
if this works, or even if it compiles! But I think it will. There's also
almost certain to be a more optimal way to code this, but here goes...

char *stripansi(char *inbuf, char *outbuf)
{
char *outptr = outbuf;

while (*inbuf)
if (*inbuf != ESC) {
*outptr++ = *inbuf++;
}
else {
inbuf++;
while ((*inbuf) && (!isalpha(*inbuf)))
inbuf++;
if (*inbuf)
inbuf++;
}
*outptr = 0;
return outbuf;
}

Parms: inbuf = input string, outbuf is place to stuff de-ANSIed string.
Returns pointer to start of outbuf.

It will copy inbuf to outbuf until it hits an ESC. Then it'll scan inbuf
until it hits an alpha character (or NUL) and then resume copying. It could
be made more robust (ie look for ESC-[ instead of ESC, make sure that the
stuff it's skipping is 0-9;), but it'll work.

Joe D

Robert Ellsworth

Aug 5, 1994, 2:23:48 PM8/5/94
Harvey Gilpin (h...@mx1.uk.mdis.com) wrote:

: JayBird (jep9236@tam2000) wrote:
: [More snippage]
: | No, the problem is that I get this:
: | <hp:666 mov:101>
: |
: | <hp:666 mov:101>

: Ah ha !
: This is prolly coz your MUD is sending a new-line b4 each prompt. This can
: be turned off by toggling the 'compact' toggle. This will get rid of your
: new-line problem, but you will still get the double prompt.
: *shrug*

#gag is working just as it should. Harvey was correct is saying that the mud
is the culprit here. Although, you will still get the double prompts because
of the fact that the mud still sends <CR>'s and <LF>'s which the gag doesn't
see becauseit's probably not in the {} :-).

: Talking of tintin suggestions, '#else' additions to #if would be cool.

Ok.. Here is a short synopsis of what can be expected for v2.0 of Tintin++:

- Expanded support for #if's (strings and else)
- GNU Readline support (For handy line editing)
- Better X11 support (Haven't decided what to add yet)
- Configuration file (So defaults can be setup much easier)
- Better debugging for your coms files.
- More robust coms file setup (Multi-line)

[- This is off the top of my head.. There is more that I just can't remember -]

Now, what to _not_ expect for v2.0:

- Script Language support (PERL/LISP/etc.)
- Window cleaning and Laundry folding. (Sorry.. Had to get that in)

V2.0 will start the devel stage in the fall of 94 (RL has taken over for now)
Any suggestions are more than welcome. Send mail to:
re...@ritchie.acomp.usf.edu (Mail forwarded to devel team)

Also.. Come check out our ALPHA-stage WWW page at:
http://ritchie.acomp.usf.edu/~reiss/
(Some features don't work yet.. Thus the ALPHA title)

Joann Ellsworth
Tintin++ Devel Team Member

: | J. Pierce

Brian Moore

Aug 5, 1994, 3:01:03 PM8/5/94
David A. Wagner (dawa...@tucson.Princeton.EDU) wrote:

: In article <31r191$8...@giga.bga.com>, Joe DiMaggio <jo...@bga.com> wrote:
: >
: > Strip out ANSI codes from the strings received from the mud before checking
: > for #actions, etc. One generic routine will work for all the codes, since
: > it's only necessary to strip'em, not interpret'em.
: >

: Well, I don't think it's possible to "just strip 'em" without also
: doing some interpretation. The escape codes are of variable length,
: and sometimes you have to parse the whole damn thing to know how
: long it is. Blech.

: If you have any suggestions on a clean way to do this, maybe I'll
: get around to implementing it for v2.0. But I'm fresh outta ideas.

It's relatively easy: all VT100 commands are of the form:

ESC [ <parms> <letter>

Skipping the parms is (for VT100, not IBM weirdness that hopefully no one
has really done in a MUD) as simple as a while loop waiting for isalpha(*ptr++)

There are a few weird sequences (like remapping keys) that allow strings as
part of the parameters, but any MUD using nasty things like that deserves
not to be able to use tintin++ :)

BTW, 1.5 is very nice. Only oddity I've noticed is it goes very wonky
if you don't have the help file.. :) Maybe check for its existence
when you try #help? :)

(this is with pl3.. yeah, I'm behind :))

Jeff Teker Fink

Aug 6, 1994, 1:07:46 AM8/6/94
jo...@bga.com (Joe DiMaggio) wrote:
>It will copy inbuf to outbuf until it hits an ESC. Then it'll scan inbuf
>until it hits an alpha character (or NUL) and then resume copying. It could
>be made more robust (ie look for ESC-[ instead of ESC, make sure that the
>stuff it's skipping is 0-9;), but it'll work.

Problem is that some ANSI codes can accept alpha numeric characters
after the escape and before the terminating character (the p code,
for example). Also, there are many cases where two ANSI strings can
be combined by inserting a semi-colon between the two argument strings
(^[[1;44;35m for example)

-Jeff

Joe DiMaggio

Aug 6, 1994, 2:12:49 PM8/6/94
Jeff "Teker" Fink (jf...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu) spake thusly:

As far as I know, they all terminate with a letter. And the semicolon stuff
was addressed in the routine.

Joe D

David A. Wagner

Aug 5, 1994, 9:10:44 AM8/5/94
Thanks for the suggestions, folks! Keep 'em coming...

In article <31rj89$q...@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,

Nguyen Anh D Le <l...@cps.msu.edu> wrote:

> How about this:
> #var {tank} {BigGuyWithHPS}
> #action {joins in the fight with $tank} {join $tank}
>
> Now this works fine and all, but as far as I know, it works fine only
> when tank is in your coms files. Does the action have to get reset
> every time you change $tank from within your session?

If you want the action to automatically pick up changes to the
$tank variable, then you've written it correctly. If you want
the action to *only* work for BigGuyWithHPS, even after the
$tank variable changes, then do this:

#var tank BigGuyWithHPS
#action {joins in the fight with $$tank} {join $$tank}

> Secondly, how about #tabsave? You can add, delete, etc. Why not let
> yourself save to the file? Like append it to the end or something.

Lots of people have asked about this. Try

#var tabfile tab.txt
#alias tabsave {#system {echo "$1" >>$tabfile}}

I guess the tintin++ dev team is of a divided opinion about the
idea of adding a new #tabsave command. Personally, I think if
you can do it that easily with existing commands, why add more
bloat to tintin++? But then again, tintin++'s not as friendly
if you have to know about tricks like that, and lots of people
*have* asked, so maybe #tabsave will end up in v2.0. Who knows?
[I guess another possibility would be to include tricks like
this in the default .tintinrc.]

Any comments?

David Wagner dawa...@princeton.edu

Joseph S. Duven

Aug 8, 1994, 4:39:58 PM8/8/94
In article <31pvae$7...@news.tamu.edu> jep9236@tam2000 (JayBird) writes:
>Jonathan R. Seagrave (j...@doek.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>:>I've a few ideas concerning the improvement of tintin++. For reference,
>[majority of post deleted]
<Deletion>

>really bothers me is when I am just on a mud to listen to the gossip and
>don't want to see You are hungry, You are thirsty. every five minutes. Even
>after it is gagged, I get the two blank lines every five minutes. Maybe I
>am doing something wrong, I don't know. If it is built in to tintin, please,

Try the #sub command:
#sub {^You are hungry} .
#sub {^You are thirsty} .

It'll send both messages into oblivion... you'll never see 'em. I use
it on Puff. I also use it for the word "lag", so I don't have to
listen to all the bitching about it.

~J

>J. Pierce
>jpi...@tamu.edu
>
>:>-- jrs

Mud plug: Try NoWhere! 132.235.16.102 4000... it's cool! And we just
*love* helping newbies... got someone up to level 6 last night, even
after he went link dead :)

JayBird

Aug 8, 1994, 11:06:28 PM8/8/94
Joseph S. Duven (j_d...@oz.plymouth.edu) wrote:
[snip snip]

:>Try the #sub command:

:>#sub {^You are hungry} .
:>#sub {^You are thirsty} .

:>It'll send both messages into oblivion... you'll never see 'em. I use
:>it on Puff. I also use it for the word "lag", so I don't have to
:>listen to all the bitching about it.

I really hope you went back and read the other posts. Or maybe just the
tintin docs. The #gag command is a macro for #sub {argument} {.}.
Hehe. Not a flame, just don't like people thinkin' I am really dumb.
(A little is ok, but not really dumb 8^)

Jay

Christina Hicks

Aug 9, 1994, 1:42:03 AM8/9/94
A role-playing suggestion for the next version of tintin. The #split
command currently creates a chat line I guess for editing and clarity
reasons, but as a person who sometimes plays two characters and likes to
role play both of them (I hate having one deaf or plain stupid) I'd love
to see a different sort of "split."

Something along the lines of splitting the screen right down the middle
and assigning a session to each one of them. Granted, there's the snoop
function (which I always have on) but its hell on the eyes and I do
occassionally get confused as to which character should say what to
whom.

Switching sessions would take you back and forth to the proper screen, or
you could execute commands (like in the version I'm using) from within
one character.

When I'm walking somewhere with snoop on my other character it takes me
twice as long to figure out where I've gone (after deciphering through
all of the duplicate info).

I've used tintin for a whole two weeks now so be gentle :)

--
rix...@netcom.com

ksch...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Aug 9, 1994, 3:14:34 AM8/9/94
In article <rixanneC...@netcom.com>,
Christina Hicks <rix...@netcom.com> wrote:
[snip]

>When I'm walking somewhere with snoop on my other character it takes me
>twice as long to figure out where I've gone (after deciphering through
>all of the duplicate info).
[snip]

this is the way i got around that, and it works pretty well for me :>
have your second characters use an action like this :

#action {%0 tells you %1} {tel $mainchar %0 told me %1}
#var mainchar <yournamehere>

this way you can turn your snoop off, and still catch everything that
goes your other chars' way. Also useful it another char receives channels
that your main one doesnt.

hope it helps,
-ks
-lancite

Joann Ellsworth

Aug 9, 1994, 7:21:57 AM8/9/94
In article <rixanneC...@netcom.com> rix...@netcom.com (Christina Hicks) writes:
>From: rix...@netcom.com (Christina Hicks)
>Subject: tintin++ suggestions
>Date: Tue, 9 Aug 1994 05:42:03 GMT

>A role-playing suggestion for the next version of tintin. The #split
>command currently creates a chat line I guess for editing and clarity
>reasons, but as a person who sometimes plays two characters and likes to
>role play both of them (I hate having one deaf or plain stupid) I'd love
>to see a different sort of "split."

>Something along the lines of splitting the screen right down the middle
>and assigning a session to each one of them. Granted, there's the snoop
>function (which I always have on) but its hell on the eyes and I do
>occassionally get confused as to which character should say what to
>whom.

If it was a trivial task, I'd say no problem. But... Unfortunately, to do
what you want to do (Or for a fact, having mulitple text "windows"), you
need to use curses. We've found curses to be too slow to do what needs to
be done for this, and as such, you probably won't see this feature anytime
soon. If you're capable of writting the code to be:
1) compatible with all platforms currently supported.
2) fast enough
Then I'd be more than welcome to entertain a look at what you've done.

Switching sessions would take you back and forth to the proper screen, or >
you could execute commands (like in the version I'm using) from within >one
character.

>When I'm walking somewhere with snoop on my other character it takes me
>twice as long to figure out where I've gone (after deciphering through
>all of the duplicate info).

>I've used tintin for a whole two weeks now so be gentle :)

What you've asked for is not an uncommon request. Unfortunately, it
just isn't practical to support and maintain the speed of what we've
accomplished as of yet.

>-- > rix...@netcom.com

Donald the Serene

Aug 9, 1994, 9:12:18 PM8/9/94
In article <327acq$d...@nyx.cs.du.edu>, <ksch...@nyx.cs.du.edu> wrote:

>this is the way i got around that, and it works pretty well for me :>
>have your second characters use an action like this :
>
>#action {%0 tells you %1} {tel $mainchar %0 told me %1}
>#var mainchar <yournamehere>

This should result in an infinite loop...
--
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
=-Donald A. Ball Jr., Dept. of Psych., UNC, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3270=-

Christina Hicks

Aug 10, 1994, 12:34:35 PM8/10/94
[...]

Uh I've given up coding for lent :) I've self-demoted myself to
middle-management-suck-up so I just have to come up with the ideas and
let someone else do the work :)

: >
: Switching sessions would take you back and forth to the proper screen, or >

: you could execute commands (like in the version I'm using) from within >one
: character.

: >When I'm walking somewhere with snoop on my other character it takes me
: >twice as long to figure out where I've gone (after deciphering through
: >all of the duplicate info).

: >I've used tintin for a whole two weeks now so be gentle :)

: What you've asked for is not an uncommon request. Unfortunately, it
: just isn't practical to support and maintain the speed of what we've
: accomplished as of yet.

: Joann Ellsworth
: Tintin++ Devel Team Member
--
rix...@netcom.com

ksch...@nyx.cs.du.edu

Aug 11, 1994, 1:18:33 AM8/11/94
In article <3299hi$c...@bigblue.oit.unc.edu>,

Donald the Serene <ba...@gibbs.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
>In article <327acq$d...@nyx.cs.du.edu>, <ksch...@nyx.cs.du.edu> wrote:
>
>>this is the way i got around that, and it works pretty well for me :>
>>have your second characters use an action like this :
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>>#action {%0 tells you %1} {tel $mainchar %0 told me %1}
>>#var mainchar <yournamehere>
>
>This should result in an infinite loop...

[sigsnip]

Only your second char (or third etc) do the action.
This oinly works if your playing with the main one, of course.
The main char has no such action, however. No Loop, infinite or otherwise.
-ks
-lancite

Stephen Comoletti

Aug 11, 1994, 2:51:30 AM8/11/94
An idea I had for ver 2.0. For the #showme command allow it to use a
variable etc.. withing it. ie:

#action {%0 tells you %1} {#showme {%0 told me: %1}}

This way I can repeat tells and who got them from any session to my
screen instead of having it say,or group tell them or messing with a
nasty variable setup that will allow it to change who receives a repeat
of the tell as you change characters.

Also, I noted a bug in the #help command. If the help files are removed
(which alot of us to have to do for disk quota limits etc..) and you try
to use the #help command at all it goes into an infinite loop repeating the
char ".",one per line till the program is halted.

Steve Comoletti

Joann Ellsworth

Aug 11, 1994, 12:46:15 PM8/11/94
In article <32dmg5$5...@blackice.winternet.com> tan...@winternet.com (Bob Tanner) writes:
>From: tan...@winternet.com (Bob Tanner)
>Subject: Re: tintin++ suggestions
>Date: 11 Aug 1994 17:17:57 GMT

>More suggestions for features (or a way to to them now :)

>One thing I find myself doing is while playing, adding #alias's, #action's,
>etc. But I loose link, quit, call waiting, etc and all the online editing
>I did is lost.

>Feature: I would like to be able to edit .tintinrc, in another session would
>be ok, and have a command to reread the .tintinrc, #reload maybe. I believe
>this should be trival since there is some route that parses the .tintinrc
>on initial startup.

If all you want is the aiblity to reload the .tintinrc, then just make an
alias that does a #read on the .tintinrc file. Do something like:

#alias {reread} {#read <Full location of .tintinrc>}

>I read in a previous post the curses is to slow for tintin++, but the other
>feature I would like to see is a database lookup capability. I have a
>notebook dedicated to item stats, cost, magical, damage, etc. Now when I
>find a blue orb, I have to scan this notebook for it's stats. I would
>like to be able to do something like #lookup blue orb (maybe multi-key
>database access) and have it display the item stats. A simple btree file
>would be ok.

As long as the database is in ascii, and is one line, you can do something
like:

#alias {lookup} {#sys grep %0 <name of DB file>}

>A spin off of the database capability would be able to do something like.
>#adddb, have tintin++ change prompt to database> cast identify blue orb
>.... blue orbs stats ... #enddb this would add the blue orbs stats to a
>to (ideally) the database. Problems here are when happens if something
>else comes across the link, like a tell, shout, etc.. and proper format
>of a database entry. But putting it to a temp file for manual editing
>and later addition to database would be ok.

Well,
You could do an something like:

#alias {dbadd} {#sys echo "%0" >> <dbfilename>}

You'd have to make your own description for the item (Not using actions),
but it'll kinda do what is needed for you.

>Since, I am not one to suggest and walk away, I would be willing to
>donate some of my time to the development of either (both) features,
>provided the tintin++ development team finds them valid features and
>would merge them into the main distribution.

>Thank for the hours of fun...... and hours.... and hours..

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't (And probably the rest of the team)
feel that database functions should be a part of Tintin++. As I pointed
above though, you can fudge a db setup relatively easily.

>tan...@winternet.com

Joann Ellsworth

Aug 11, 1994, 7:08:26 AM8/11/94
In article <32chpi$9...@marlin.ssnet.com> rug...@marlin.ssnet.com (Stephen Comoletti) writes:
>From: rug...@marlin.ssnet.com (Stephen Comoletti)
>Subject: Re: tintin++ suggestions
>Date: 11 Aug 1994 02:51:30 -0400

> An idea I had for ver 2.0. For the #showme command allow it to use a
>variable etc.. withing it. ie:
>
> #action {%0 tells you %1} {#showme {%0 told me: %1}}

^^ ^^
Those should be %%0 and %%1. Since you are trying to do a variable
after 2 {'s without any }'s, you must use 2 %'s. If you had 3 {'s and no
}'s, then you would need 3 %'s. This feature is already in v1.5.. :-)

>This way I can repeat tells and who got them from any session to my
>screen instead of having it say,or group tell them or messing with a
>nasty variable setup that will allow it to change who receives a repeat
>of the tell as you change characters.

> Also, I noted a bug in the #help command. If the help files are removed
>(which alot of us to have to do for disk quota limits etc..) and you try
>to use the #help command at all it goes into an infinite loop repeating the
>char ".",one per line till the program is halted.

This will be fixed in the next patch release.
> Steve Comoletti

Stephen Comoletti

Aug 12, 1994, 3:18:11 AM8/12/94
Thanx for the info. I tried it and it works great :) Here is another
idea, or question if it exists. What I wanted to do was have a single
action for multiple sessions,but have the action know which session
triggered it,and store the session name in a variable.. ie:

#action {%0 tells you %1} {#showme {$$sesname : %%0 told me, %%1}}

Where $sesname would be defined by tintin as the session name set when
you start a session. So I start a session.. #ses p1 <mud address>. Then I
get a tell the result is "p1 : John told me, 'blah blah blah'".

The only way I can think of now to do something similiar is to make an
alias containing all actions for each session with the character/session
name inserted for each action. But then I have some 90 actions and 3 xtra
alias's I really dont need.....Thanx for your quick replies to my last
message..and keep up the good work.

Steve Comoletti

Bob Tanner

Derek Karnes

Aug 11, 1994, 3:33:23 PM8/11/94
This seems to be a good spot for this request:

I am interested in seeing how people have set up tintin (and ++ of course) or
even tinyfugue.. I would love a copy of your macro file, especially if you have
a pretty intricate set up.. for example, i have it set up so my barbarian auto-
matically rescues my thief after a backstab (so my thief can circle again), my
cleric automatically makes food for a hungry party member, etc. please mail to:

dka...@csugrad.cs.vt.edu

thanks in advance.

David A. Wagner

Aug 11, 1994, 4:26:58 PM8/11/94

Bob Tanner <tan...@winternet.com> wrote:
> More suggestions for features (or a way to to them now :)
>
> One thing I find myself doing is while playing, adding #alias's, #action's,
> etc. But I loose link, quit, call waiting, etc and all the online editing
> I did is lost.
>
> Feature: I would like to be able to edit .tintinrc, in another session would
> be ok, and have a command to reread the .tintinrc, #reload maybe. I believe
> this should be trival since there is some route that parses the .tintinrc
> on initial startup.

Get screen (or is it called iscreen nowadays?) from prep.ai.mit.edu;
it is free GNU software which lets you have multiple windows open,
even on a text-based terminal! It's a great program.

[It also lets you do scroll-back, for everyone who wants to be
able to do that.]

Then you can open one window and edit .tintinrc, and have tintin++
running in the other window.

And by the way, to reload in your .tintinrc, what's wrong with
``#read .tintinrc'' ?

> the other feature I would like to see is a database lookup capability.

Paraphrases from my alias file:

#alias {mydir} {#system {grep -i '$$0' mydirs}}
#alias {bamstat} {#system {agrep -i -d '$$' '$$0' stats}}

``mydirs'' is a file which contains directions; some examples:

[Base of Web->Arachnos] e s e w w s n s s d e e
[Base of Web->Donjonkeeper] e s e w w w w s s s n n n s
[Dump->Bats] d s w w n w, e s e e e n n, s s w n n e n w n n

``stats'' is a file which contains stat information, with
each record separated by a blank line. [You may need agrep to
use my alias: but it is free software, and you should be able
to find it with archie.] A sample record from ``stats'':

Object name: [a grey key], R-number: [1018] V-number: [32003]
Item type: KEY
Extra description keyword(s): None
Can be worn on : TAKE HOLD LIGHT-SOURCE
Extra flags : NOBITS
Weight: 1, Value: 10, Cost/day: 25
Keytype : 15
Lvl flag : 0
Special procedure : No
Can affect char :
Affects : NONE By 0
Affects : NONE By 0
Affects : NONE By 0
Affects : NONE By 0

> Since, I am not one to suggest and walk away, I would be willing to
> donate some of my time to the development of either (both) features,
> provided the tintin++ development team finds them valid features and
> would merge them into the main distribution.

I think what you're looking for already exists in tintin++.
But thanks for the suggestions -- keep 'em coming!

And thanks for the offer to help! If you've got any code
you added to tintin++ which you think might be nice to have
in v2.0, send us some email at re...@ritchie.acomp.usf.edu.

David Wagner dawa...@princeton.edu

Warren Smith

Aug 17, 1994, 10:45:04 AM8/17/94
I'm trying to add onto a mud but dont have any docs for what the numbers etc
mean in the tinyworld etc files
Could any either email or post on where to find any docs to do this?
Even if it is another source code and I have to ftp the whole thing.
ALL thanks in advance!
WAZ

Message has been deleted

Betflix168

Oct 24, 2023, 3:07:02 AM10/24/23
✨ Try Betflik without an agent. The fastest auto system. Play smoothly without interruptions. No downtime for Betflik deposits and withdrawals. Supports wallets. ✨

Homepage
[https://bit.ly/3PW4kPM](https://bit.ly/3PW4kPM)

[https://bit.ly/3rMdVAE](https://bit.ly/3rMdVAE)

Log In
[https://bit.ly/3rMdVAE](https://bit.ly/3rMdVAE)

💰 Try "Mahjong Ways 2" for free at Betflik168 and discover unlimited opportunities to win with no limits.
Try it here ➡️ [https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/mahjong-ways2/](https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/mahjong-ways2/)

👑 Try "free slots," "Betflik trial," and "slot trial websites for all slot brands" at Betflik168 for an unrestricted and cost-free gaming experience.
Try it here ➡️ [https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/](https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/)

🌕🐇 Try "PG's Fortune Rabbit" and "Fortune Rabbit slots" at Betflik168 for a fun and exciting trial gaming experience.
Try it here ➡️ [https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/fortune-rabbit/](https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/fortune-rabbit/)

✨ทดลองเล่น Betflik ไม่ผ่านเอเยนต์ ระบบออโต้เร็วที่สุด✨ เล่นลื่นไหลไม่มีสะดุด ไม่มีปิดปรับปรุง Betflik ฝาก-ถอน รองรับวอเลท✨

หน้าหลัก
https://bit.ly/3PW4kPM

สมัคร
https://bit.ly/3rMdVAE

เข้าสู่ระบบ
https://bit.ly/3rMdVAE

💰ทดลองเล่น "มาจอง 2" แบบฟรีได้ที่ Betflik168 ค้นพบโอกาสในการชนะรางวัลแบบไม่มีข้อจำกัด
ทางเข้าทดลองเล่น ➡️ https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/mahjong-ways2/

👑 ทดลองเล่น "สล็อตทุกค่ายฟรี," "betflik ทดลองเล่น," และ "เว็บทดลองเล่นสล็อตทุกค่าย" ที่ Betflik168 เพื่อรับประสบการณ์การเล่นเกมที่ไม่มีข้อจำกัดและไม่มีค่าใช้จ่าย
ทางเข้าทดลองเล่น ➡️ https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/

🌕🐇 ทดลองเล่น "กระต่ายแห่งโชคลาภ PG" และ "สล็อต Fortune Rabbit" บน Betflik168 เพื่อค้นพบความสนุกและตื่นเต้นในโหมดทดลองเล่น
ทางเข้าทดลองเล่น ➡️ https://www.betflik168.com/ทดลองเล่น-betflik/fortune-rabbit/