Seeking testers for Being There - a short experimental notgame

JordanMagnuson

May 24, 2010, 10:03:30 PM5/24/10
Hey everyone, my name is Jordan. I run a website called Necessary
Games (www.necessarygames.com), and have been working on my first
piece of interactive fiction -- a very short existential piece
inspired by living in Korea. I'm having a terribly hard time finding
people to test the thing, so I would be incredibly grateful if any of
you could take a look, and provide feedback.

I've been testing the game myself, but seeing as this is my first
effort, I'm sure there are a bunch of things that I'm stupidly
overlooking.

This really isn't a game, so you may absolutely hate it. I'd still
appreciate your feedback though!

It's got pictures so it's in glulx format (gblorb container), and can
be downloaded from:

http://www.necessarygames.com/my_games/being_there/being_there_002.gblorb

The thing is very short, as I've said, and will only take you a few
minutes to play through. Thanks so much for taking the time, and I do
apologize for any stupid mistakes!

Jordan

Erik Temple

May 26, 2010, 3:23:04 PM5/26/10
On May 24, 9:03 pm, JordanMagnuson <jm.magnu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.necessarygames.com/my_games/being_there/being_there_002.gb...

The link has mime-type issues, I think--FF and Safari both try to
download it as a text file. I was able to download it after some
effort, but especially for people who are trying to download through
google groups (which wraps the link), this may be a real obstacle.

--Erik

JordanMagnuson

May 26, 2010, 7:08:35 PM5/26/10
Thanks a lot for pointing out the issues with the file Erik! I'm using
Chrome, which doesn't seem to have any problems with it, but I should
have checked other browsers.

In any case, here's a zipped version of the file with a minified link:

http://ow.ly/1Qois

Jordan

Andrew Plotkin

May 26, 2010, 7:12:36 PM5/26/10
Here, JordanMagnuson <jm.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The link has mime-type issues, I think--FF and Safari both try to
> > download it as a text file.
>
> Thanks a lot for pointing out the issues with the file Erik! I'm using
> Chrome, which doesn't seem to have any problems with it, but I should
> have checked other browsers.

If your web server is Apache and you can do .htaccess files, put these
lines in one for MIME-friendly IF serving:

AddType application/x-zmachine z1 z2 z3 z4 z5 z6 z7 z8
AddType application/x-glulx ulx ULX
AddType application/x-blorb blb BLB blorb BLORB
AddType application/x-blorb;profile="zcode" zlb zblorb
AddType application/x-blorb;profile="glulx" glb gblorb
AddType application/x-tads gam GAM
AddType application/x-t3vm-image t3 T3

--Z

*

JordanMagnuson

May 26, 2010, 7:54:03 PM5/26/10
> If your web server is Apache and you can do .htaccess files, put these
> lines in one for MIME-friendly IF serving: ...

Ah, thanks Andrew--great idea. I'll remember that next time :)

Jordan

Matt Weiner

May 31, 2010, 8:38:51 PM5/31/10
On May 24, 10:03 pm, JordanMagnuson <jm.magnu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone, my name is Jordan. I run a website called Necessary
> Games (www.necessarygames.com), and have been working on my first
> piece of interactive fiction -- a very short existential piece
> inspired by living in Korea. I'm having a terribly hard time finding
> people to test the thing, so I would be incredibly grateful if any of
> you could take a look, and provide feedback.
>
> I've been testing the game myself, but seeing as this is my first
> effort, I'm sure there are a bunch of things that I'm stupidly
> overlooking.
>
> This really isn't a game, so you may absolutely hate it. I'd still
> appreciate your feedback though!
>
> It's got pictures so it's in glulx format (gblorb container), and can
> be downloaded from:
>
> http://www.necessarygames.com/my_games/being_there/being_there_002.gb...

> The thing is very short, as I've said, and will only take you a few
> minutes to play through. Thanks so much for taking the time, and I do
> apologize for any stupid mistakes!
>
> Jordan

You can also try posting the game in the appropriate place
on the intfiction.org forum.

Matt