"Pits" - adv.game on "The Source"

MereEdge

Jun 8, 2001, 11:07:36 AM6/8/01
There was a game on "The Source" many years ago called "PITS" which used a
simplistic VERB DIRECTOBJ INDIRECTOBJ sentence structure, but was filled with
enormous text descriptions. The start of the game involved getting a slew of
cash, and then buying a bridge, which was constructed by hundreds of thousands
of little dwarves in what could only be described as helicopters. You then
crossed the bridge, climbed a mountain, went into an old house, and accessed
other worlds by finding secret passages. The scoring system was as detailed and
granular as the plot line. I found it far more fun and challenging than Zork.

Unfortunately, I think it was written for a Data General, and when The Source
got purchased by Compuserve, the game vanished. The only proof I have is a few
old dusty captures of the start of the game, combined with a piece of marketing
literature that briefly mentions it.

I've searched all over the net for it, but have come up short. Anyone who might
know where a copy hides, PLEASE contact me via email. I've tried all the text
game archive sites I could get links to, and I've been dying to play this for
years, but just cannot seem to locate it.

Thanks,
Brian
Mere...@aol.com

Branko Collin

Jun 8, 2001, 5:07:08 PM6/8/01
On 08 Jun 2001 15:07:36 GMT, mere...@aol.com (MereEdge) wrote:

[The Source]

>I've searched all over the net for it, but have come up short. Anyone who might
>know where a copy hides, PLEASE contact me via email. I've tried all the text
>game archive sites I could get links to, and I've been dying to play this for
>years, but just cannot seem to locate it.

Maybe too obvious, but... have you asked Compuserve? Maybe they've got
an old back-up lying around or something.

--
branko collin
col...@xs4all.nl