WRITERS!

1 view

PINK & RED

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

We *are accepting new & previously published writers for
publication. We have *3 offices/ 2 in New York City/
the other in Florida. For ALL fiction & nonfiction/
send brief synopsis/ first chapter/ include a self
addressed, stamped envelope: S.A.S.E.
Poetry: send 3 poems/ S.A.S.E.
Short Stories: send brief synopsis/ 3 pages/ S.A.S.E.
Do not send complete manuscript unless invited to do so.
LITERARY AGENCY: WOODSIDE*
1190 /North Collier Blvd.
Marco Island, Florida
Zip: 34145
Tel: 941-642-9660

Karen J. Cravens

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

I'd make a comment about having heard Woodside is a bunch of
crooks, but I understand people who've said that before have had
their ISP's mailbombed into non-existence by unnamed parties.

In article <5ebdr9$l1u$7...@mhade.production.compuserve.com>,

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | WWW: www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/
Life is a simile. Life is like a metaphor.

Terry Austin

Feb 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/20/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>I'd make a comment about having heard Woodside is a bunch of
>crooks, but I understand people who've said that before have had
>their ISP's mailbombed into non-existence by unnamed parties.

I've said it, more than once, here and in rec.art.sf.written, and never
heard a peep from them. On the other hand, they may have done some
research on me at DejaNews, and run across the PILOT GAME threads. . .

And they are, by all accounts, being investigated by the FBI already.

And *why* did you feel obligated to include the complete address?

---------------------------------
-- Terry Austin, Companion of Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Not that I really care. I'm pretty stupid anyway.
---Marius Scipio Magnus (Keith Godwin)
Apathy is not always the correct path. But at this point it's not a half bad idea.
---Sir Luke Skypath (Dave Cook)

Karen J. Cravens

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

In article <5egt7k$2...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>I've said it, more than once, here and in rec.art.sf.written, and never
>heard a peep from them. On the other hand, they may have done some
>research on me at DejaNews, and run across the PILOT GAME threads. . .
>And they are, by all accounts, being investigated by the FBI already.
>And *why* did you feel obligated to include the complete address?

Did I? I probably forgot to hit "save" after I trimmed. At
least I saved my own responses. Nothing like quoting a complete
message back without so much as a me too...

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | WWW: www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/

Seen one Earth, seen 'em all.

Terry Austin

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>Did I? I probably forgot to hit "save" after I trimmed. At
>least I saved my own responses. Nothing like quoting a complete
>message back without so much as a me too...

What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to save the message before
sending it? I've always wondered why that happens.

Karen J. Cravens

Feb 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/22/97

In article <5ennm4$f...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to save the message before
>sending it? I've always wondered why that happens.

What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to use an
internal editor? Of *course* I have to hit save before I go back
to yarn.

I suppose I could probably set Boxer up to autosave on exit, but
that would necessitate reading the directions, and that's too
stereotypically female.

I could also set it to save&exit when I add the .sigfile, but I
invariably think of something to add while the macro runs, and
it's a pain to go and edit a post once it's been "sent" (it's
offline, so it's not really *posted* at that point).

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net

sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/
The average person thinks he isn't.

Terry Austin

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to use an
>internal editor? Of *course* I have to hit save before I go back
>to yarn.

My news reader doesn't *require* me to do much of anything. I choose
to read news online because I can, and because it's convienent to me.

When I edit something, it's edited.

>I suppose I could probably set Boxer up to autosave on exit, but
>that would necessitate reading the directions, and that's too
>stereotypically female.

That about says it all, doesn't it? The best excuse for anything is
"because I like it that way."

>I could also set it to save&exit when I add the .sigfile, but I
>invariably think of something to add while the macro runs, and
>it's a pain to go and edit a post once it's been "sent" (it's
>offline, so it's not really *posted* at that point).

That happens to me sometimes, but more often, I forget to "Post
Articles and Email," and stuff sits for days in my outbox.

Carl Perkins

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

In article <Lp7DzYZi...@phoenyx.net>, sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) writes...

}
}What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to use an
}internal editor? Of *course* I have to hit save before I go back
}to yarn.
}-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying

What kind of obnoxious news reader doesn't let you use whatever editor
you want by calling it internally?

(Actually, other than that, this newsreader is not so hot; for example,
it only kills based on the subject line, no option to kill based on the From
field. It also crashes when the list of newsgroups a message is posted to
is too long (more than about 512 characters, I think it is currently; one
of these days I need to increase it and recompile). The "calling it
internally" thing also only works for editors that are designed for it, of
course.)

--- Carl

Glenn Berry

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97
Personally, I use Microplanet Gravity at home, but here at work, I have to use Netscape, Lucky me.

Glenn.
--
BT and I have a deal!!!
I don't speak for them, they don't speak for me.

Karen J. Cravens

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

In article <5eq47d$6...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>My news reader doesn't *require* me to do much of anything. I choose
>to read news online because I can, and because it's convienent to me.

Ah. Coming from a BBS background, I have learned to depend on
database offline readers. It's too handy to stuff useful
messages (or blackmail material...) in a folder for later
retrieval. You can do some of that with multitasking stuff like
Windows, but I work in DOS too often for that. I don't like mice
for anything that doesn't involve graphics.

It's essential for PBeM - it allows you to store a turn to reply
to later, when you have more time, and thereby forget it for
approximate 3.7 weeks, on the average.

>When I edit something, it's edited.

I wouldn't claim that for myself even with an internal editor...

>That about says it all, doesn't it? The best excuse for anything is
>"because I like it that way."

I didn't say I liked it... just don't *dis*like it enough to take
the trouble to change it. :}

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying

To err is human, to forgive is against company policy.

Karen J. Cravens

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

In article <24FEB199...@gerg.tamu.edu>,

ca...@gerg.tamu.edu (Carl Perkins) wrote:
>In article <Lp7DzYZi...@phoenyx.net>, sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) writes...
>}In article <5ennm4$f...@news1.ni.net>,

>}tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>}>What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to save the message before
>}>sending it? I've always wondered why that happens.
>}
>}What kind of obnoxious news reader requires you to use an
>}internal editor? Of *course* I have to hit save before I go back
>
>What kind of obnoxious news reader doesn't let you use whatever editor
>you want by calling it internally?

Er, that's what I said. Or the complement to what I said,
actually.

>(Actually, other than that, this newsreader is not so hot; for example,
>it only kills based on the subject line, no option to kill based on the From
>field. It also crashes when the list of newsgroups a message is posted to
>is too long (more than about 512 characters, I think it is currently; one
>of these days I need to increase it and recompile). The "calling it
>internally" thing also only works for editors that are designed for it, of
>course.)

Yarn allows any calls, and kills (scores, actually) based on From
or Subj. I wish it could do so based on Newsgroups so I could
search for excess commas.

It does bug out when it sees too many addresses on a Cc: line,
though. And it's DOS-based, which is peachy for me (since I live
in DOS, 3.x and 95 at various times and it runs under all of
them) but not so hot for a lot of people, since I'm sure you
could rig it to call a Windows-based editor but I wouldn't want
to try.

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | WWW: www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/

Today is the first day of the rest of your sentence.

Terry Austin

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>Ah. Coming from a BBS background, I have learned to depend on
>database offline readers. It's too handy to stuff useful
>messages (or blackmail material...) in a folder for later
>retrieval. You can do some of that with multitasking stuff like
>Windows, but I work in DOS too often for that. I don't like mice
>for anything that doesn't involve graphics.

Free Agent does offline and online equally well. It'll even autodial,
I think, if your TCP/IP stack supports it.

And I'm not going to comment on mice and graphics. Sometiems, it's
just too easy.

>>When I edit something, it's edited.

>I wouldn't claim that for myself even with an internal editor...

I didn't say it was well edited, or edited right. But every mistake I
make is preserved for posterity.

>I didn't say I liked it... just don't *dis*like it enough to take
>the trouble to change it.

OK, then, how about "Because I'm lazy?" That's a good excuse, too.

---------------------------------
-- Terry Austin, Companion of Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore http://www.hyperbooks.com/

The Great Pueblo Revolt of 1996
---Fiction by Sans-te-wa-no-mens
GM's Handbook delayed until mid-March

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

[full text included so he can see it for himself]

Glenn Berry <glenn...@spam.avoid.gb-data.demon.co.uk> spake:

>------------53A84DF56FFA0

>------------53A84DF56FFA0
>
><HTML><BODY>
>
><DT>Personally, I use Microplanet Gravity at home, but here at work, I
>have to use Netscape, Lucky me.</DT>
>
><DT>&nbsp;</DT>
>
><DT>Glenn.<BR>
>--&nbsp;<BR>
>BT and I have a deal!!!<BR>
>I don't speak for them, they don't speak for me.<BR>
>&nbsp;</DT>
>
></BODY>
></HTML>
>------------53A84DF56FFA0--

Lucky you? What about lucky us who have to read this stuff? Turn it off.
The worst part about this is, it's not even valid HTML - <dt> is only legally
used in
<dl> (definition list)
<dt> (definition term)
<dd> (definition of that term)
</dl>

They should have used <p>, but somehow they got the idea that <dt> is a good
way to indent a paragraph or something. Massive cluelessness abounds at
Netscape.

That's even aside from the MIME more than doubling the size of the post...
Ugh.

Normally I'd just *PLONK* you into the killfile for the next three months,
but I'm in an unusually benevolent mood today.

-- <a href="http://kuoi.asui.uidaho.edu/~kamikaze/"> Mark Hughes </a>

Karen J. Cravens

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

In article <5f33hl$b...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>Free Agent does offline and online equally well. It'll even autodial,
>I think, if your TCP/IP stack supports it.

IIRC, I looked at Free Agent and didn't like it, although I can't
tell you why without looking at it again. Unless it's Windoze
only, in which case I can safely say that's why.

>OK, then, how about "Because I'm lazy?" That's a good excuse, too.

Uh, isn't that what I said the first time? Maybe I didn't save
it. :}

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net

sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/
Always be smarter than the people who hire you.

Terry Austin

Mar 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/1/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>IIRC, I looked at Free Agent and didn't like it, although I can't
>tell you why without looking at it again. Unless it's Windoze
>only, in which case I can safely say that's why.

That's why, then. Some of us don't have the luxury of having more
than one system. (Though, in truth, I deal with 3.1 at home, 95 and
UNIX at work, but I despise 95, and our business literally can't
operate without the UNIX machine, so we don't do things like Internet
on it)

>>OK, then, how about "Because I'm lazy?" That's a good excuse, too.

>Uh, isn't that what I said the first time? Maybe I didn't save
>it. :}

It is. I'm just agreeing it's a valid excuse.

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/2/97

In article <5f9mbr$l...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>That's why, then. Some of us don't have the luxury of having more
>than one system. (Though, in truth, I deal with 3.1 at home, 95 and
>UNIX at work, but I despise 95, and our business literally can't
>operate without the UNIX machine, so we don't do things like Internet
>on it)

Well, see, you do have the luxury of more than one system. I use
DOS and, when I have to, 3.1 at home, and 95/NT at work (It's not
so bad once you get used to it, and is actually friendlier to DOS
shells).

Technically, I suppose, I have the Phoenyx as well, but it's
dedicated to running the net site [obrpg] and strictly runs the
mailing list stuff. I have SpeedRead installed over there for
when I really want to regress and run a QWK reader, but I don't
use it very often (for one thing, that's not a multitasking
machine so I have to take it offline to do anything. Not *too*
bad since it's just a UUCP batch machine (the web pages live on
our upstream provider) but still, it does technically accept
dialup connections and a local might want to call in to play
Scrabble (which isn't exactly an RPG, but it's been running on
our site for so long there'd be a mutiny if I took it off)).

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/

C:\DOS C:\DOS\RUN RUN DOS, RUN

Terry Austin

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>Well, see, you do have the luxury of more than one system. I use
>DOS and, when I have to, 3.1 at home, and 95/NT at work (It's not
>so bad once you get used to it, and is actually friendlier to DOS
>shells).

I wouldn't consider riding an ill-tempered donkey a luxury when I have
a nice, shiny new Mazerati. Well, a new Ford Escort, anyway. Only a
masochist uses DOS CLI on purpose.

>our upstream provider) but still, it does technically accept
>dialup connections and a local might want to call in to play
>Scrabble (which isn't exactly an RPG, but it's been running on
>our site for so long there'd be a mutiny if I took it off)).

I can well imagine.

---------------------------------
-- Terry Austin, Grand Companion of Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery

Hyperbooks Online Bookstore http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Cosmic Visions
---Quality Science Fiction in an electronic format
GM's Handbook is now at the printers

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

In article <5fg8vu$9...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:
>
>>Well, see, you do have the luxury of more than one system. I use
>>DOS and, when I have to, 3.1 at home, and 95/NT at work (It's not
>>so bad once you get used to it, and is actually friendlier to DOS
>>shells).
>
>I wouldn't consider riding an ill-tempered donkey a luxury when I have
>a nice, shiny new Mazerati. Well, a new Ford Escort, anyway. Only a
>masochist uses DOS CLI on purpose.

It depends on what you're using it for. Frex, pretty much all I
do on this box is text editing, which doesn't really involve much
DOS (4DOS, specifically, and I *still* use it under 95), so there
really doesn't seem to be much use in firing up a P133 with 32MB
and SVGA and a mouse and a SoundBlaster just to type text.
(ObRPG: PBeM turns, RPG web editing (I also have yet to find an
HTML editor that works as well for me as typing in the codes;
once the standards and versions-of-the-week settle down I'll
probably start shopping), APA articles...)

>>our upstream provider) but still, it does technically accept
>>dialup connections and a local might want to call in to play
>>Scrabble (which isn't exactly an RPG, but it's been running on
>>our site for so long there'd be a mutiny if I took it off)).
>
>I can well imagine.

I'm not sure you can. I certainly couldn't have. Scrabble
players are even more rabid than... than... than BRIDGE players.

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/

Don't give me that. I've already got one.

Terry Austin

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>It depends on what you're using it for.

I like my pretty fonts, and multi-tasking, and everything else, all at
once. I guess I'm just spoiled.

>Frex, pretty much all I
>do on this box is text editing, which doesn't really involve much
>DOS (4DOS, specifically, and I *still* use it under 95), so there
>really doesn't seem to be much use in firing up a P133 with 32MB
>and SVGA and a mouse and a SoundBlaster just to type text.

But you could play your favorite CD music at the same time, and maybe
play Stars! while you think. :)

>(ObRPG: PBeM turns, RPG web editing (I also have yet to find an
>HTML editor that works as well for me as typing in the codes;
>once the standards and versions-of-the-week settle down I'll
>probably start shopping), APA articles...)

Take a look a Hot Dog, if you haven't already (there's a shareware
version to test drive). I still do simple jobs with Notepad, but the
ability to load multiple pages, limited only by available memory, and
launch Netscape from the editor, is nice. And it actually does all
the basic commands right, too. (On the other hand, I got it for free,
because my web site is hosted by the US distributor for it, and every
stupid, incompetant tech support person in the entire world work
there, and. . . you get the idea.)

>I'm not sure you can. I certainly couldn't have. Scrabble
>players are even more rabid than... than... than BRIDGE players.

I know baseball fans like that. They kill trees for that game, you
know.

---------------------------------
-- Terry Austin, Grand Companion of Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore http://www.hyperbooks.com/

Weird Guy by Michael Hopcroft
---The name says it all!

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

In article <5fo9ru$7...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:
>I like my pretty fonts, and multi-tasking, and everything else, all at
>once. I guess I'm just spoiled.

The multitasking is about the only thing, but usually my
multitasking consists of multiple text files which Boxer can
handle anyway.

>But you could play your favorite CD music at the same time, and maybe
>play Stars! while you think. :)

I've got a five-CD changer with Bose speakers in the computer
room for *that*, though, and I don't like Stars!. Carl does,
though, so his machine is the one we've put the hotdog
motherboard and sound card in, and will probably put 95 on Real
Soon Now. I use 95 at work, and it's all right (on a P-100 or
thereabouts, especially) but I tend to have five or six DOS
windows opened up (in 5x4 mode on a 14" monitor in 800x600 mode,
which tends to drive people looking over my shoulder crazy, but
that's all right).

>Take a look a Hot Dog, if you haven't already (there's a shareware
>version to test drive). I still do simple jobs with Notepad, but the
>ability to load multiple pages, limited only by available memory, and
>launch Netscape from the editor, is nice. And it actually does all
>the basic commands right, too. (On the other hand, I got it for free,
>because my web site is hosted by the US distributor for it, and every
>stupid, incompetant tech support person in the entire world work
>there, and. . . you get the idea.)

I've heard good things about that one, and if I had any kind of
large site to maintain (the Phoenyx is starting to get that way,
actually), I'd probably do something like that. What I really
want is something bright enough to handle the links when I move a
page from one directory to another. (Backstage *ain't* it.) The
graphics codes I can handle myself... I used to use Ventura GEM
with XyWrite codes, after all, and work on a CompuGraphics
electronic typesetter.

>>I'm not sure you can. I certainly couldn't have. Scrabble
>>players are even more rabid than... than... than BRIDGE players.
>I know baseball fans like that. They kill trees for that game, you
>know.

Are RPG players ever that way? I mean, I've known some that get
obsessed with their world or whatever, but that's not *quite* the
same (it's more introverted than extroverted, for one thing).
I've never run into any that are quite rabid in the same
Scrabble/bridge sense...

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx Play-by-Email Roleplaying
pho...@southwind.net | Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/

I've had fun before. This isn't it.

Terry Austin

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>The multitasking is about the only thing, but usually my
>multitasking consists of multiple text files which Boxer can
>handle anyway.

Not, mind you, that Widows of any variety except NT (which costs more
than some cars I've owned), is capable of true multitasking, but they
can imitate it pretty well.

>I've got a five-CD changer with Bose speakers in the computer
>room for *that*, though, and I don't like Stars!. Carl does,
>though, so his machine is the one we've put the hotdog
>motherboard and sound card in, and will probably put 95 on Real
>Soon Now.

You upgraded a computer to play Stars!?

>I use 95 at work, and it's all right (on a P-100 or
>thereabouts, especially)

I use 95 at work, too, and positively hate it and everything it stands
for. And for the record, we compared a P133 on 95 to a 486/100 on
3.1, and found comparable performance. Anything slower, and the OS
overhead kills you (which is why I hate '95 at work---it's on a P75,
which was an improvment over the P60---but that's gonna change soon.)

><but I tend to have five or six DOS
>windows opened up (in 5x4 mode on a 14" monitor in 800x600 mode,
>which tends to drive people looking over my shoulder crazy, but
>that's all right).

That's probably part of why you do it.

>I've heard good things about that one, and if I had any kind of
>large site to maintain (the Phoenyx is starting to get that way,
>actually), I'd probably do something like that. What I really
>want is something bright enough to handle the links when I move a
>page from one directory to another. (Backstage *ain't* it.) The
>graphics codes I can handle myself... I used to use Ventura GEM
>with XyWrite codes, after all, and work on a CompuGraphics
>electronic typesetter.

Look *real* hard at HotDog. I haven't play around too much with the
publishing features, but they'll do that. You group thing logically,
by directory, and use some kind of alias for the directory reference.
They tell HotDog to replace that alias with the full directory
refernece when you publish. Change directory structure around,
and you only have to change one entry on the replace table. That
feature will replace *anything* with *anything*. (This is all
in reference to HotDog Pro. I'm not sure how much of it is true
with the other version. But they both come on the same CD)

>Are RPG players ever that way? I mean, I've known some that get
>obsessed with their world or whatever, but that's not *quite* the
>same (it's more introverted than extroverted, for one thing).
>I've never run into any that are quite rabid in the same
>Scrabble/bridge sense...

Neither have I, not really. I've seen people get pretty defensive
over characters, but never in the Scrabble/bridge way.

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

In article <5fv3j3$a...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>>Are RPG players ever that way? I mean, I've known some that get
>>obsessed with their world or whatever, but that's not *quite* the
>>same (it's more introverted than extroverted, for one thing).
>>I've never run into any that are quite rabid in the same
>>Scrabble/bridge sense...
>Neither have I, not really. I've seen people get pretty defensive
>over characters, but never in the Scrabble/bridge way.

Someone should do a study on it. Of course, that probably
wouldn't convince any anti-RPG parents, it would just mean that
they'd picket toy stores, too.

>Not, mind you, that Widows of any variety except NT (which costs more
>than some cars I've owned), is capable of true multitasking, but they
>can imitate it pretty well.

("Widows"?) Yeah, yeah, I used to have an Amiga... I've heard
those arguments. :}

>You upgraded a computer to play Stars!?

Er, no. He discovered Stars! later. I can't remember exactly
what pushed us over the edge, but we used to have two 386DX-40s
and finally decided to upgrade one. Not counting the Phoenyx,
which is a 486SX-25, but it's a GRiD (it was free, okay?) so
upgrading really wasn't an option. Or a necessity, since the
mailing-list software is DOS-based.

>><but I tend to have five or six DOS
>>windows opened up (in 5x4 mode on a 14" monitor in 800x600 mode,
>>which tends to drive people looking over my shoulder crazy, but
>>that's all right).
>That's probably part of why you do it.

No, I usually full-screen one if they need to see what I'm
looking at. I just got tired of flipping back and forth.

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx PBeM RPG Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/
| Home of the RPG Industry Discussion List
Reality is a great way to fake things.

Terry Austin

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>Someone should do a study on it. Of course, that probably
>wouldn't convince any anti-RPG parents, it would just mean that
>they'd picket toy stores, too.

Ya, but we could get a couple millions from the government to pay for
it. It'd be useless information, after all, so it's prime grant bait.

>>Not, mind you, that Widows of any variety except NT (which costs more
>>than some cars I've owned), is capable of true multitasking, but they
>>can imitate it pretty well.

>("Widows"?) Yeah, yeah, I used to have an Amiga... I've heard
>those arguments. :}

Smart alek. I know people who own Amigas. One of them still insists
it's a great machine, and should be put back into production.
Actually believed for a loooonnng time it had better graphics than a
SVGA 486 with a 17" monitor. Till he saw one.

>>You upgraded a computer to play Stars!?

>Er, no. He discovered Stars! later. I can't remember exactly
>what pushed us over the edge, but we used to have two 386DX-40s
>and finally decided to upgrade one. Not counting the Phoenyx,
>which is a 486SX-25, but it's a GRiD (it was free, okay?) so
>upgrading really wasn't an option. Or a necessity, since the
>mailing-list software is DOS-based.

My, we do live primitively out in the boonies, don't we? Not that I'm
throwing stones, mind you, with my 486/100. I'm trying to borrow
enough money for a *real* computer as we type. (On the other hand,
it runs faster than the Pentium 75 at work, which has been crippled
with the Win95 disease)

>>><but I tend to have five or six DOS
>>>windows opened up (in 5x4 mode on a 14" monitor in 800x600 mode,
>>>which tends to drive people looking over my shoulder crazy, but
>>>that's all right).
>>That's probably part of why you do it.

>No, I usually full-screen one if they need to see what I'm
>looking at. I just got tired of flipping back and forth.

So, you deny that you enjoy messing with their heads?

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

In article <5g2n44$l...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>Smart alek. I know people who own Amigas. One of them still insists
>it's a great machine, and should be put back into production.
>Actually believed for a loooonnng time it had better graphics than a
>SVGA 486 with a 17" monitor. Till he saw one.

Its graphics are (were) a lot more *efficient* due to the
architecture. Heck, I'd *much* rather the 68xxx architecture had
caught on than Intel, with its hinky memory-handling. But you
can't fight the Conspiracy.

>My, we do live primitively out in the boonies, don't we? Not that I'm
>throwing stones, mind you, with my 486/100. I'm trying to borrow
>enough money for a *real* computer as we type. (On the other hand,
>it runs faster than the Pentium 75 at work, which has been crippled
>with the Win95 disease)

Right now replacing the carpet in the living room takes a higher
priority than upgrading the computer. It's a sign of developing
a Real Life, I think, but I've given up fighting it. Maybe I'm
just getting old.

>>No, I usually full-screen one if they need to see what I'm
>>looking at. I just got tired of flipping back and forth.
>
>So, you deny that you enjoy messing with their heads?

No, just that I have better ways than that.

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx PBeM RPG Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/
| Home of the RPG Industry Discussion List

The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

Terry Austin

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:

>Its graphics are (were) a lot more *efficient* due to the
>architecture. Heck, I'd *much* rather the 68xxx architecture had
>caught on than Intel, with its hinky memory-handling. But you
>can't fight the Conspiracy.

Nowadays, that really has more to do with the hinky OS than the
hardware, but you're right about the Conspiracy.

>Right now replacing the carpet in the living room takes a higher
>priority than upgrading the computer. It's a sign of developing
>a Real Life, I think, but I've given up fighting it. Maybe I'm
>just getting old.

A Real Life? I don't believe it. Carpet? Over a toy? NEVER!

>>So, you deny that you enjoy messing with their heads?

>No, just that I have better ways than that.

I'll just bet you do...

---------------------------------
-- Terry Austin, Grand Companion of Loyal Order of Chivalry & Sorcery
Hyperbooks Online Bookstore http://www.hyperbooks.com/

"Stick! You'll die without Stick!"
Michael Hopcroft, author of Weird Guy

ed

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:17:29 GMT, tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry
Austin) wrote:

>sil...@phoenyx.net (Karen J. Cravens) wrote:
>
>>Its graphics are (were) a lot more *efficient* due to the
>>architecture. Heck, I'd *much* rather the 68xxx architecture had
>>caught on than Intel, with its hinky memory-handling. But you
>>can't fight the Conspiracy.
>
>Nowadays, that really has more to do with the hinky OS than the
>hardware, but you're right about the Conspiracy.

The Miggy was a damn fine machine in it's time and it's a pity it's
almost totally dead. Even I, as a Miggy fanatic, am considering buying
an IBM clone with it's 70s technology.

Also it has a damn fine newsreader/mailer available, load of them in
fact, but I prefer THOR.

ed
using a PC cos he's at work

Karen J. Cravens

Mar 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/14/97

In article <5gal27$f...@news1.ni.net>,

tau...@hyperbooks.com (Terry Austin) wrote:
>Nowadays, that really has more to do with the hinky OS than the
>hardware, but you're right about the Conspiracy.

The OS? Not really, other than that it's trying to stay
compatible across 15 years or so of technology. It's just a
fairly natural result of the hardware.

Of course, there's no excuse for the way slider bars work. I
dunno about Mac, but Amigas did it right.

This is really offtopic, but hopefully this will make people
killfile the WRITERS! subject, at least.

-- Karen Cravens | Phoenyx PBeM RPG Listserver: majo...@phoenyx.net
sil...@phoenyx.net | http://www2.southwind.net/~phoenyx/
| Home of the RPG Industry Discussion List

Wit is educated insolence.