New Game - Doppleganger Slow Blitz

Scott C. Zielinski

Jan 23, 2012, 2:10:07 PM1/23/12
New version installed - a little testing. Was going to open up the server for
remote testing, but. I'm away from the server and I didn't set it up for remote
access - so, tonite I will be running a blitz on it. Updates maybe once every
30 min or hour or whatever so there can be testing. I'll have a webpage up soon
as well.

I was going to make it for 10 people, but, we're close to that now, so, the
world may be like 20 islands. If we only have 6 or 10 people, then no worries,
as I have a script to set all start islands as S hexes - not invadeable.

HOWEVER, I was toying with the idea that once so many updates pass, those S
hexes will turn to + hexes (or somehting) with possibly some "natives" mil so
that there can be a "second" land grab of sorts.

Otherwise, some vanilla empire with an odd update schedule (first few updates
will be 13 hour updates) This allows a fairly quick start, but not too much,
and also pushes the "hour" the update occurs so there is no benefit to any one
timezone. Then the updates will likely slow to ~ 23 or 25 hours. And could slow
more if there are a lot of players and or the players vote for more time. It
will be a very informal game.

I did this last year, with the intent on having a permenant server up for a
"Slow Blitz" - but my move delayed this :(

So, this game will server to have a game AND help start a new permenant "blitz"
server. :)

Currently the new version is up and installed, but, I just forgot to do the
networking stuff to allow connections.

Looking at getting a lot automated (accomplished some of this the last round).

Anyway, the server should be open for blitz testing this week, and an official
start date of Jan 20. Oh, may be looking to have "weekends off" so, after the
Fri update, likely have updates turn off for the weekend, and then resume
Monday.

--
sagacityat(es)(dee)(ef)dotorg

Scott C. Zielinski

Jan 23, 2012, 11:41:05 PM1/23/12
On 2012-01-23, Scott C. Zielinski <saga...@esdeefdot.org> wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway, the server should be open for blitz testing this week, and an official
> start date of Jan 20. Oh, may be looking to have "weekends off" so, after the
> Fri update, likely have updates turn off for the weekend, and then resume
> Monday.
Ooops. Jan 30.
Message has been deleted

Scott C. Zielinski

Jan 24, 2012, 10:12:26 AM1/24/12
On 2012-01-24, Markus Armbruster <arm...@pond.sub.org> wrote:
> "Scott C. Zielinski" <saga...@esdeefdot.org> writes:
>
>> New version installed - a little testing. Was going to open up the server for
>> remote testing, but. I'm away from the server and I didn't set it up for remote
>> access - so, tonite I will be running a blitz on it. Updates maybe once every
>> 30 min or hour or whatever so there can be testing. I'll have a webpage up soon
>> as well.
>>
>> I was going to make it for 10 people, but, we're close to that now, so, the
>> world may be like 20 islands. If we only have 6 or 10 people, then no worries,
>> as I have a script to set all start islands as S hexes - not invadeable.
>>
>> HOWEVER, I was toying with the idea that once so many updates pass, those S
>> hexes will turn to + hexes (or somehting) with possibly some "natives" mil so
>> that there can be a "second" land grab of sorts.
>
> Could have quite an impact on the game. Happy to discuss in private.
>
>> Otherwise, some vanilla empire with an odd update schedule (first few updates
>> will be 13 hour updates) This allows a fairly quick start, but not too much,
>> and also pushes the "hour" the update occurs so there is no benefit to any one
>> timezone. Then the updates will likely slow to ~ 23 or 25 hours. And could slow
>> more if there are a lot of players and or the players vote for more time. It
>> will be a very informal game.
>>
>> I did this last year, with the intent on having a permenant server up for a
>> "Slow Blitz" - but my move delayed this :(
>>
>> So, this game will server to have a game AND help start a new permenant "blitz"
>> server. :)
>>
>> Currently the new version is up and installed, but, I just forgot to do the
>> networking stuff to allow connections.
>>
>> Looking at getting a lot automated (accomplished some of this the last round).
>>
>> Anyway, the server should be open for blitz testing this week, and an official
>> start date of Jan 20. Oh, may be looking to have "weekends off" so, after the
>> Fri update, likely have updates turn off for the weekend, and then resume
>> Monday.
>
> Some players want to know about the update schedule before they commit
> to a game. Best to make up your mind and announce the result.
>
> Whatever update schedule you use, I recommend to implement it completely
> in the schedule file, *not* with enable / disable commands. Not only is
> the latter prone to confuse players ("show updates" lies), it's also
> prone to accidents. Been there, screwed up that, wasn't fun.

Thanks! I'll have to agree with that. I don't like "unknown" update schedules
either. I hoping for 28h updates. As always, the player base is more than
welcome to make suggestions, but, I think that worked before.