Wolfpack 4.3.29 Server Release

Wolfpack

Jan 21, 2012, 8:22:35 AM1/21/12
We are happy to announce that Empire 4.3.29 is now available. You can
download it from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/empserver/files/

More information on Empire can be found on our home page

http://www.wolfpackempire.com/

This release fixes several bugs, some of them crash bugs.

Deities are urged to use this release for new games. Upgrading mid-game
is not supported, and expected to result in total disaster. Fine print:
you should be able to upgrade with the empdump utility, if you know what
you're doing.

This release was made from the Git repository at

http://git.pond.sub.org/?p=empserver;a=summary

Change log:

Changes to Empire 4.3.29 - Fri Jan 20 19:20:20 UTC 2012
* drop and fly from carrier could fail to load last civilian or
military.
* Telegram and announcement changes:
- wire no longer loops to show announcements that arrived while
waiting for the player to confirm deletion.
- At most five seconds worth of messages are now squashed together
into one. Before, only the time between adjacent telegrams was
limited, not the total time.
- When telegrams arrived while read was waiting for the player to
confirm deletion, and we then showed them, we nevertheless
claimed "you have new telegrams" before the next command prompt.
Only with toggle inform off. Known bug since Empire 2.
- Fix read not to clobber asynchronous notification of telegrams
arriving while waiting for the player to confirm deletion.
- Fix wire not to reset number of pending telegrams with toggle
inform on. Broken when Empire 2 introduced toggle inform.
- The number of pending announcements was off when announcements
were squashed together.
- More careful error handling and logging.
* Ensure all of an update's output goes into a single production
report:
- Avoid splitting it up when the update is slow. Empire 2 already
did that for the number of pending telegrams, but not for read.
- Don't turn parts of it into BULLETINs. Autonav and sail could do
that since Empire 2.
* files now creates POGO with user interface flags beep, coastwatch,
sonar and techlists set, for consistency with add.
* Change newcap back to not wiping the country (it wiped since
4.3.12). Additionally, leave levels and telegrams alone.
* Changes to deity command add:
- Require confirmation for unadvisable actions.
- Refuse to touch a country while it's being played.
- Don't crash on negative country number.
- Create deities with money, just like files creates POGO.
- Always reset the country completely, not just when adding a
player or a visitor.
- Rename argument "new" to "player". Keep recognizing "new" for
now, but deprecate it.
- Drop argument "active". If you really want to create a player
country without a capital, add the player country normally, then
activate it with edit instead of newcap.
- Drop the obscure sector check and wipe option. If you really
need to wipe out a country, there's much more to wipe than just
sectors.
- Drop the undocumented land unit destruction feature.
* Permit no-op country name change again. Accidentally outlawed in
4.3.20.
* Plug a few minor memory and file descriptor leaks.
* Fix use-after-free when plane gets shot down or aborted in
dogfight. Broken in 4.3.27.
* Code cleanup.
* Info page and manual page fixes.

MD5 checksums:

5fc5e6d9fc3b19ba1f86733fd6708960 empire-4.3.29.tar.gz
bcda0f2ab1ac808f49e7e2aabb09a682 empire-client-4.3.29.tar.gz
fab2db702604dc76b66e1d774849511b empire-info-html-4.3.29.tar.gz
92b31a2c1f44738b19169b95e0375259 empire-info-text-4.3.29.tar.gz

SHA-1 checksums:

c1e119748ceea0b2fab7fa881edbeaa7d3ead68f empire-4.3.29.tar.gz
27b726600d9e77cacfad62c0a14a9a541b45d07b empire-client-4.3.29.tar.gz
63ce3c31a1ffaa4c5f7cdb5659de0e7943069138 empire-info-html-4.3.29.tar.gz
1db1fbc5f9012f8de5e2f9ad3f8f9da1c5dfc853 empire-info-text-4.3.29.tar.gz

Wolfpack! Bringing you the latest and greatest in Empire development and
support, and, in our minds, the best multi-player game around.

Check out Empire at http://www.wolfpackempire.com wolf...@wolfpackempire.com

Scott C. Zielinski

Jan 21, 2012, 10:33:29 AM1/21/12
On 2012-01-21, Wolfpack <wolf...@wolfpackempire.com> wrote:
> We are happy to announce that Empire 4.3.29 is now available. You can
> download it from
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/empserver/files/
>
> More information on Empire can be found on our home page
>
> http://www.wolfpackempire.com/
>
> This release fixes several bugs, some of them crash bugs.

<snip>

> Wolfpack! Bringing you the latest and greatest in Empire development and
> support, and, in our minds, the best multi-player game around.
>
> Check out Empire at http://www.wolfpackempire.com wolf...@wolfpackempire.com

Woo hoo. Getting this now. I've got at least 1/2 dozen players so far. We
should have a decent game after this patch is applied and the server is final.
Still looking good to have this done this weekend.

I reckon I should set up a webpage....

--
sagacityat(es)(dee)(ef)dotorg