Where are all the comments about MM2?

Chris Somers

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96

Well, I just finished Memento Mori ][ for the first time through in
UV in only four weeks and I still have my job! It was a piece of
cake :D

So I was wondering why there aren't any comments about it other than
some bitching about where the (super * 10**27) secret levels are. I
got a few theories.

1) No one else has finished it yet. The IDDQD cheaters are lost out
in level 27 somewhere and the IDCLIP cheaters are still trying to
figure out how to get the green armour in level one. Everyone else
got fired for playing games on the job or took a hiatus to eyeball
mm2mus.wad for secret levels. This would be the first First in my
life :P

2) Everyone finished it three weeks ago and I blinked and missed the
posts. Now they're back to playing new Duke Nukem 3D levels cuz they
really do prefer their women tied up with seaweed. Well, I had four
times more fun than _you_ all did :P

3) Everyone thought they were playing Quake and all the posts are
actually in the r.g.c.q.* groups. I don't blame you. I fired up DETH
several times to find out how some of those structures and effects
were built.

4) Anyone who follows these groups knew when MM2 was released; knew
it would be great; found that, yes, indeed, it is great. So what's
to say? For the benefit of those who didn't know, it's GREAT.

Thanks to D.M. and the entire MM2 crew for wiping my August off of
the entire space-time continuum. Now to replay it to get 100%
secrets and items. I hope to resurface by October, but don't send
anyone out looking for me...

Chris S. .sigs? don't smoke 'em anymore.

George Bell

Aug 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/28/96

In article <500m4t$1i...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, som...@ibm.net (Chris Somers) writes:
> So I was wondering why there aren't any comments about it other than
> some bitching about where the (super * 10**27) secret levels are.

OK, here are some comments. So far, the coolest levels I think are
19 "The Shaft" and 27 "The Silos". The shaft is the only level I've
felt vertigo on, what a drop!!

In many ways I like MM2 better than Final Doom. MM2 is quite consistently
good, some of the levels in Final Doom I don't like at all.

-George

plim0003

Aug 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/29/96

Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
wads including mm2 and final doom

Alden Bates

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

Chris Somers (som...@ibm.net) writes:
>So I was wondering why there aren't any comments about it other than
>some bitching about where the (super * 10**27) secret levels are. I
>got a few theories.

It's simple: Denis forgot to send the bribe money out.

I wonder if anyone outside the MM2 team has found the ultra super
secret levels yet. Haven't seen any mention...

Alden Bates.

--
___ _ _ ___ | Alden Bates | al...@bates.wn.planet.gen.nz
.' _ `| |_| | _ \ | If a UFO crashes in a forest, and there's
| _ _ _ < | no-one around to hear it, is there a
|_| |_|_| |_|___.'| government conspiracy?

Adam Williamson

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

In article <5047of$c...@epx.cis.umn.edu>, plim0003
<plim...@maroon.tc.umn.edu> writes

>Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
>wads including mm2 and final doom

Just my completely non-biased (:>) opinion, but MM2 kicks MM1's arse.
MM1 was great, but there were a few levels that just sucked and
shouldn't have ever made it to the final product, and it had no overall
theme. I don't think there's any bad levels in MM2 and the levels are
themed.
Adam Williamson, D1M
Memento Mori 2 MAP06
Requiem MAP29 (unreleased)

Paul Noble

Aug 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/30/96

In article <502gb7$g...@news.advtech.uswest.com>, George Bell
<be...@uswest.com> writes

>In article <500m4t$1i...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, som...@ibm.net (Chris Somers)
>writes:
>> So I was wondering why there aren't any comments about it other than
>> some bitching about where the (super * 10**27) secret levels are.
>
>OK, here are some comments. So far, the coolest levels I think are
>19 "The Shaft" and 27 "The Silos". The shaft is the only level I've
>felt vertigo on, what a drop!!
>
>In many ways I like MM2 better than Final Doom. MM2 is quite consistently
>good, some of the levels in Final Doom I don't like at all.
>
>-George
Good stuff, I'm a part of the MM2 team and I ain't past level 6 yet =)
Glad you liked the silos, it took forever to iron out the visplane
errors!
-- Paul Noble edi...@elbon.demon.co.uk --
Author of DojoDm1.wad, Memento Mori II contributor

cappc

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

In <500m4t$1i...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net> som...@ibm.net (Chris Somers)
writes:

>Well, I just finished Memento Mori ][ for the first time through in
>UV in only four weeks and I still have my job! It was a piece of
>cake :D
>
>So I was wondering why there aren't any comments about it other than
>some bitching about where the (super * 10**27) secret levels are. I
>got a few theories.
>
>1) No one else has finished it yet. The IDDQD cheaters are lost out
>in level 27 somewhere and the IDCLIP cheaters are still trying to
>figure out how to get the green armour in level one. Everyone else
>got fired for playing games on the job or took a hiatus to eyeball
>mm2mus.wad for secret levels. This would be the first First in my
>life :P
>
>2) Everyone finished it three weeks ago and I blinked and missed the
>posts. Now they're back to playing new Duke Nukem 3D levels cuz they
>really do prefer their women tied up with seaweed. Well, I had four
>times more fun than _you_ all did :P
>
>3) Everyone thought they were playing Quake and all the posts are
>actually in the r.g.c.q.* groups. I don't blame you. I fired up DETH
>several times to find out how some of those structures and effects
>were built.
>
>4) Anyone who follows these groups knew when MM2 was released; knew
>it would be great; found that, yes, indeed, it is great. So what's
>to say? For the benefit of those who didn't know, it's GREAT.
>
>Thanks to D.M. and the entire MM2 crew for wiping my August off of
>the entire space-time continuum. Now to replay it to get 100%
>secrets and items. I hope to resurface by October, but don't send
>anyone out looking for me...
>
>Chris S. .sigs? don't smoke 'em anymore.

Another reason why there's not so many comments about MM2: I just
started a new job and can't risk being late, being distracted, etc.
What a lousy time to move up the corporate ladder - what could I have
been thinking?! Obviously time to re-prioritize my life (and any other
buzz-phrases you can think of).

But I agree with you - it is great and just so much fun. I love Doom!

Chris C. - sigs? Still smoke 'em.

Adam Williamson

Aug 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/31/96

In article <509dq9$b...@sjx-ixn2.ix.netcom.com>, cappc
<ca...@ix.netcom.com> writes

>>Thanks to D.M. and the entire MM2 crew for wiping my August off of
>>the entire space-time continuum. Now to replay it to get 100%
>>secrets and items. I hope to resurface by October, but don't send
>>anyone out looking for me...

Just noticed this in the first post in this thread...you might find that
alittle difficult <grins contritely> as one of the secrets in MAP06 is
nigh-on impossible, due to a sector being 32 higher than it should be
(don't ask why, it was late, ok?). Briefly, when you raise the bridge to
get into the big building for the second time and trigger the first
*big* trap, jumping onto the imp-filled ledges either side counts as
secret. Only problem is, one is at the same level as the bridge, and the
other is 32 lower - so you can get in the second but not the first
(well, it _is_ possible, just, with a lucky strafe-run, but very
difficult). When Denis decides we're releasing the big bug-fix, i'll fix
it.

Chris Somers

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96

In message <30...@bates.wn.planet.gen.nz> - al...@bates.wn.planet.gen.nz (Alden

Bates)Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:18:57 GMT writes:

>I wonder if anyone outside the MM2 team has found the ultra super
>secret levels yet. Haven't seen any mention...

Huh? Then you're not getting _all_ the news. George Bell and myself have both
posted
messages (albeit cryptic ones) about them. Others have mentioned them to me in
email.
I haven't figured out, though, how to kill all the imps (behind the red falls
next to
the exit) in level one. Is there a trigger to make them teleport in? It's
"load the
editor" time again, I guess.

Tom Sella

Sep 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/1/96
> Chris S. .sigs? don't smoke 'em anymore.Please post more cryptic messages. I haven't found the levels yet!

Tom

Adam

Sep 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/2/96

plim0003 wrote:

> Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
> wads including mm2 and final doom

Well, I like MM2 better because it has music. Also, the levels are more detailed (and
much harder).

Favorite level out of both MM's: Level 23 of MM1 on Ultra-Violence and GOD mode.

--
Adam Shapiro
ad...@bios.net

Doug Bora

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

plim0003 (plim...@maroon.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
: Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
: wads including mm2 and final doom

You're high. MM2 is WAY better than MM1. There were several sleeper
levels in MM1, not to mention ones that I and my coop partner absolutely
hated. MM2's levels have all been fantastic. Only problem I've had is
with the 3 or 4 levels that crash doom when you try to save in coop.
Makes it really tough to get through 'em.

--
Doug Bora
stig...@wwa.com

Doug Bora

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

: 1) No one else has finished it yet. The IDDQD cheaters are lost out

: in level 27 somewhere and the IDCLIP cheaters are still trying to
: figure out how to get the green armour in level one. Everyone else
: got fired for playing games on the job or took a hiatus to eyeball
: mm2mus.wad for secret levels. This would be the first First in my
: life :P

I'm not quite done yet, cuz I'm playing it 2-player coop with a friend --
it's a bit harder to connect up and get a game going when you're playing
over a modem. We're somewhere in the 20's at this point. It's the level
that starts out in a small room with a teleport in the center, and
different color skulls above each side of the teleport, and each one takes
you to that color door. We're nearly done with this level, and should
finish it tonight.

: 2) Everyone finished it three weeks ago and I blinked and missed the

: posts. Now they're back to playing new Duke Nukem 3D levels cuz they
: really do prefer their women tied up with seaweed. Well, I had four
: times more fun than _you_ all did :P

Uh-huh.

: 3) Everyone thought they were playing Quake and all the posts are

: actually in the r.g.c.q.* groups. I don't blame you. I fired up DETH
: several times to find out how some of those structures and effects
: were built.

While that's a real nice compliment to the authors, I-don't-think-so! :-)

: 4) Anyone who follows these groups knew when MM2 was released; knew

: it would be great; found that, yes, indeed, it is great. So what's
: to say? For the benefit of those who didn't know, it's GREAT.

Agreed.

--
Doug Bora
stig...@wwa.com

Adam Williamson

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In article <322BCF...@bios.net>, Adam <ad...@bios.net> writes

>plim0003 wrote:
>>
>> Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
>> wads including mm2 and final doom
>
>Well, I like MM2 better because it has music. Also, the levels are more
>detailed (and
>much harder).

Hmm? AFAIK MM, FD and MM2 all have add-on music - MM2 is the only one
with different music for every level (i'm not totally sure FD
doesn't...TeamTNT?), but all three have new music. MM has intermission,
readme, ending and startup music, and I think 16 level tunes which
repeat once each.

Adam Williamson

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In article <50cvr9$t...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, Chris Somers
<som...@ibm.net> writes

>In message <30...@bates.wn.planet.gen.nz> - al...@bates.wn.planet.gen.nz (Alden
>Bates)Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:18:57 GMT writes:
>
>>I wonder if anyone outside the MM2 team has found the ultra super
>>secret levels yet. Haven't seen any mention...
>
>Huh? Then you're not getting _all_ the news. George Bell and myself have both
>posted
>messages (albeit cryptic ones) about them. Others have mentioned them to me in
>email.
>I haven't figured out, though, how to kill all the imps (behind the red falls
>next to
>the exit) in level one. Is there a trigger to make them teleport in? It's
>"load the
>editor" time again, I guess.

Go into the secret in the traps the yellow key triggers - it's a secret
wall in the right-hand one as you see it when they're triggered. You can
go up a lift, kill a sergeant and a trooper, and at the top there's a
shoot-thru grate thingy that lets you hit the imps.

Matthew Miller

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In rec.games.computer.doom.playing, Adam Williamson (Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk) writes:
: Just noticed this in the first post in this thread...you might find that

: alittle difficult <grins contritely> as one of the secrets in MAP06 is
: nigh-on impossible, due to a sector being 32 higher than it should be
: (don't ask why, it was late, ok?).
: When Denis decides we're releasing the big bug-fix, i'll fix it.

Wonderful! Though, truth be told, finding all the secrets wasn't a high
priority for me when the 9000 monsters were closing in. :)
Will Mark Klem be a little kinder to those of us trying to
find the secrets in level 09, Sabbath Sewer? (The ones I'm referring to
are the three lifts that lower when you head down the spiralling
hallway--the first one is tough to get into, the second one is near
impossible, and the third IS impossible. I don't care if someone makes a
demo showing them running down to grab that mega sphere and then do the
Ali shuffle on the lift before it rises again--I STILL say it's
impossible!) ;)

--
Matthew Miller -- rmi...@infinet.com

Matthew Miller

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In rec.games.computer.doom.playing, Adam (ad...@bios.net) writes:
: plim0003 wrote:
: > Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
: > wads including mm2 and final doom
: Well, I like MM2 better because it has music. Also, the levels are more detailed (and
: much harder).

Oh, and, uh, does MM 1 *not* have music? Aren't you loading in mmmus.wad
when you run Doom II? :)

(like this: doom2 -file mm.wad mmmus.wad -warp 01 -skill 4)

JazzBowe

Sep 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/3/96

In article <50hjc3$6...@kirin.wwa.com>, stig...@wwa.com (Doug Bora)
writes:

snipped
>: ........ Now they're back to playing new Duke Nukem 3D levels cuz they
>: really do prefer their women tied up with seaweed...........

Seaweed ??!! Blimey, I thought it was cabbage leaves :-)

rj

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

In article <50hjc3$6...@kirin.wwa.com>, stig...@wwa.com (Doug Bora) wrote:

Stigmata is still alive ? ;)

IRC #deathmatch is still around and doing well if you ever wanna stop
on by. I myself have pretty much moved past doom2 and into the Quake
world of DM, and well, I am having a _BALL_ so far. I find 8-12 player
matches to be an absolute kick. Teamplay, grappling hook, monster
patches (play AS the monster) and loads of other goodies just make
Quake too damn much fun. 16 player matches are completely crazy,
some of the levels are too small with not enough weapons for that
amount of people, but it is still fun.

rj
--
sig? I don't need no stinkin sig

Adam Williamson

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

In article <50i695$o...@news1.infinet.com>, Matthew Miller
<rmi...@infinet.com> writes

>In rec.games.computer.doom.playing, Adam Williamson (Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk)
>writes:
>: Just noticed this in the first post in this thread...you might find that
>: alittle difficult <grins contritely> as one of the secrets in MAP06 is
>: nigh-on impossible, due to a sector being 32 higher than it should be
>: (don't ask why, it was late, ok?).
>: When Denis decides we're releasing the big bug-fix, i'll fix it.
>
>Wonderful! Though, truth be told, finding all the secrets wasn't a high
>priority for me when the 9000 monsters were closing in. :)

Heheh...I still die 50% of the times I do my own level :). Either I'm
useless at Doom (probable) or I pitched it a little too hard for MAP06
;)

> Will Mark Klem be a little kinder to those of us trying to
>find the secrets in level 09, Sabbath Sewer? (The ones I'm referring to
>are the three lifts that lower when you head down the spiralling
>hallway--the first one is tough to get into, the second one is near
>impossible, and the third IS impossible. I don't care if someone makes a
>demo showing them running down to grab that mega sphere and then do the
>Ali shuffle on the lift before it rises again--I STILL say it's
>impossible!) ;)

Well, technically MM2 is still primarily designed for co-op, although I
didn't find that possible with my level as testing was too much of a
hassle. I think Mark intended that secret for co-op. Maybe we could not
assign it as secret, so single-players can get 100% secrets...Mark?

Tom Sella

Sep 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/4/96

Yours definitely was one of the tougher levels. Very little health
around for all the traps you spun! I must have saved the game after
every little kill in that level.

Paul Noble

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

In article <50hjc3$6...@kirin.wwa.com>, Doug Bora <stig...@wwa.com>
writes

>While that's a real nice compliment to the authors, I-don't-think-so! :-)
>
>: 4) Anyone who follows these groups knew when MM2 was released; knew
>: it would be great; found that, yes, indeed, it is great. So what's
>: to say? For the benefit of those who didn't know, it's GREAT.
>
>Agreed.
>
>--
>Doug Bora
>stig...@wwa.com
thanks Doug, it is a real compliment coming from an old skool doomer
like yourself (there aint many left - what happened to thresh, dweller
etc?)

Huz

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Chris Somers wrote:

> 3) Everyone thought they were playing Quake

...Actually, I have been playing Quake. :)
Anyway, however you do it, FRAG ON!!!!!!!!!

Huz

Ty Halderman

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hmm? AFAIK MM, FD and MM2 all have add-on music - MM2 is the only one
>with different music for every level (i'm not totally sure FD
>doesn't...TeamTNT?),

Here!

Final DOOM. Well, I know that Evilution has 21 new tunes, and level
authors were allowed to pick their favorites from those and the
original DOOM2 music, so they're shuffled at a minimum. Certainly
you'll know there's new music when you play MAP01 and MAP30--those are
pretty cool things by Tom Mustaine and L.A. Sieben, and when you get
to the intermission screens. I think it ended up as about 9 reused
DOOM2 and the rest picked from the new stuff. The 21 includes
intermission, startup, etc. as well as level music.

I still don't know if Plutonia has new music (haven't had time to play
it myself--too busy with Bloodlands, Grievance and our TC). Dario
didn't say in his last response, but I bet he does this time :)

Icarus has all-new music though.

=- Ty Halderman -==- TeamTNT Member <http://www.neosoft.com/~teamtnt> -=
=- TeamTNT -- Authors of [[Icarus:Alien Vanguard]] and [[Final DOOM]] -=
=- Available Now: [[Bloodlands]] 32 new levels for Deathmatch Only! -=

George Bell

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

In article <50mfnt$e...@uuneo.neosoft.com>, tea...@neosoft.com (Ty Halderman) writes:

> I still don't know if Plutonia has new music

I do not believe it does. At least I remember hearing that annoying
"Barrels O Fun" tune on Plutonia 23. Doesn't seem to fit the evil
atmosphere.

-George

Adam Williamson

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

In article <HVqjaGAf...@elbon.demon.co.uk>, Paul Noble
<edi...@elbon.demon.co.uk> writes

>thanks Doug, it is a real compliment coming from an old skool doomer
>like yourself (there aint many left - what happened to thresh, dweller
>etc?)

Yeah, anyone seen them anywhere? I caught Dweller on an IRC channel for
like, 30 secs a few days ago. *We want dweller3! We want dweller3!*

P.S: Tyranny is actually going to be released! Shock horror! I just got
a new MAP30 to replace the "illegal" one, and it'll be out by Saturday,
probably.

Adam Williamson

Sep 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/5/96

In article <322E5A...@worldnet.att.net>, Tom Sella
<toms...@worldnet.att.net> writes

>Yours definitely was one of the tougher levels. Very little health
>around for all the traps you spun! I must have saved the game after
>every little kill in that level.

I find 6 and 7 complete bastards, and 10. Hint for 6 - don't grab the
blue sphere as soon as you see it, leave it and grab it when you come
back to trigger the second big trap - the _really_ tough one.

Chris Somers

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In message <B$zHMEAqJ...@scss.demon.co.uk> - Adam Williamson

<Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In article <50cvr9$t...@news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>, Chris Somers
><som...@ibm.net> writes
>>I haven't figured out, though, how to kill all the imps (behind the red falls
>>next to
>>the exit) in level one. Is there a trigger to make them teleport in? It's
>>"load the
>>editor" time again, I guess.
>
>Go into the secret in the traps the yellow key triggers - it's a secret
>wall in the right-hand one as you see it when they're triggered. You can
>go up a lift, kill a sergeant and a trooper, and at the top there's a
>shoot-thru grate thingy that lets you hit the imps.

That's level one in the regular levels. I meant level one
of the two supersupersuper... secret levels. I can hear imps
in the northwest corner of the level just north of the
elliptical exit corridor. If I 'iddt' twice, I see them
behind the red falls, but they can't get out. It's as if
a 'teleport monster' line isn't triggered or something.

George Bell

Sep 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/6/96

In article <QKuTRbAe...@scss.demon.co.uk>, Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Hint for 6 - don't grab the
> blue sphere as soon as you see it, leave it and grab it when you come
> back to trigger the second big trap - the _really_ tough one.

What?? There's a supercharge on this level?? I didn't see it.

This is MM2 level 06, right?? You start out surrounded in this
big open area ...

-George

Matthew Miller

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

: >writes:
[...]

Well, if that secret *is* intended for multi-players, then for Jah's
sake, please tell Mr. Klem to flag the prizes `multi-player only'. Will
save us go-it-alone types a bit of a hassle. :)

Mark Klem

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

->> Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
->> wads including mm2 and final doom

->Well, I like MM2 better because it has music. Also, the levels are more
detailed (and
->much harder).
->--
-> Adam Shapiro
-> ad...@bios.net
-> http://www.bios.net/~adam/

?what?
MM1 had music, too.
-> END OF TRANSMISSION <-

Mark Klem

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

-> Will Mark Klem be a little kinder to those of us trying to
->find the secrets in level 09, Sabbath Sewer? (The ones I'm referring to
->are the three lifts that lower when you head down the spiralling
->hallway--the first one is tough to get into, the second one is near
->impossible, and the third IS impossible. I don't care if someone makes a
->demo showing them running down to grab that mega sphere and then do the
->Ali shuffle on the lift before it rises again--I STILL say it's
->impossible!) ;)
-
->Matthew Miller -- rmi...@infinet.com

Hi, Matthew. You're almost right. The Megasphere behind the third lift can
only be reached in a co-op game, as one guy steps on the trigger and the other
grabs the power-up. Don't worry, though. It doesn't count as a secret in the
level, just an extra.
And the first 2 lifts are to test your speed, and are reachable in a single
player game.
Sorry for the confusion. :)

Mark Klem

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

->Well, technically MM2 is still primarily designed for co-op, although I
->didn't find that possible with my level as testing was too much of a
->hassle. I think Mark intended that secret for co-op. Maybe we could not
->assign it as secret, so single-players can get 100% secrets...Mark?
->--
->Adam Williamson, D1M

That's right, Adam. But the Megasphere sector was not marked as "counts as
secret", so it should be fine if you find the others.

Did anyone find the megashere at the exit inside the pit?

Matthias Worch

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I find 6 and 7 complete bastards, and 10.

come on, the worst things in 10 are some revenents and a baron, can´t
be that difficult ;)
wanna have an uv demo from pistol start?

| matthia...@uni-essen.de #irc: Langsuyar |
| The Troopers´ Playground, Memento Mori 2 for DooM II |
| Armageddon DM series for Quake |

Jim Corrigan

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

> Did anyone find the megashere at the exit inside the pit?

Yep. Isn't it a Soul Sphere? You gotta go in at an angle from the left
or right, so you dont touch the end level line. And really slow too.

Levels by Mark Klem are my favorite MM[2] levels. I always idclev to The
Hidden Slime Factory, or the Powerstation, or Sabbath Sewer, or Base
Exposure... Where can I find more wads?

Hey this reminds me: What's a nice single player level like The Hidden
Slime Factory doing in a place only reachable in a co-op game???

Jim,JR
--
Ottawa Fire | bx...@FreeNet.Carleton.Ca - Nepean, Ontario, Canada. |
Dept. | jo...@compmore.net |

Adam Williamson

Sep 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/7/96

In article <50pltq$j...@news.advtech.uswest.com>, George Bell
<be...@uswest.com> writes
I know my own level, thanks muchly :). It's in a secret. When you go up
the stairs after going to the right in the outsidey bit which houses the
first big trap look in the alcove to the right. On the stairs opposite
there's four shells in each corner and a torch in the middle. This side,
no torch in the middle. Go up to the wall, press it, hey! secret. Box of
shells and a blue sphere.

Matthew Miller

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

In rec.games.computer.doom.playing, Jim Corrigan (bx...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:
: > Did anyone find the megashere at the exit inside the pit?

: Yep. Isn't it a Soul Sphere? You gotta go in at an angle from the left
: or right, so you dont touch the end level line. And really slow too.
: Levels by Mark Klem are my favorite MM[2] levels. I always idclev to The
: Hidden Slime Factory, or the Powerstation,

Power Station was mainly by Eric Sargent, with `misc editing' by Klem
(this is according to authors.txt). Makes me wonder just who was
responsible for what.

: or Sabbath Sewer, or Base Exposure...

Notice that Base Exposure's music is credited to David Shaw (according to
mm2.txt), but quotes a significant amount from one of Klem's own musics
from MM 1! Nice bit of aural chutzpah there, guys.
Which of course reminds me that Klem is such a terrific music
composer, too...all those nifty echoes...many of them sound like shit in
the game (Doom's primary purpose isn't to play music, after all!) but it's
as good a reason as any to pull out mus2midi and a decent midi player.

: Hey this reminds me: What's a nice single player level like The Hidden

: Slime Factory doing in a place only reachable in a co-op game???

Blame Denis Moeller, who designed level 31. And while we're on the
subject, *why* does Moeller think he can get away with making his pages
frames-only? If he wasn't so good at level design in general (and texture
creation--hate those `angry' skulls in MM2, incidentally, though the rest
are great--and organizing, and...), I'd suspect he didn't have a working
brain at all! (Yes, I'm kidding.)

Adam Williamson

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

In article <50r882$k...@axe.netdoor.com>, Mark Klem <ma...@netdoor.com>
writes

>->> Have you ever played the _original_ MM. It is much better than all other
>->> wads including mm2 and final doom
>
>->Well, I like MM2 better because it has music. Also, the levels are more
>detailed (and
>->much harder).
>->--
>
>?what?
>MM1 had music, too.

And that's coming from the author :). Maybe he meant it has better
music?

Jim Corrigan

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

>Matthew Miller (rmi...@infinet.com) writes:

>:Jim Corrigan (bx...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) writes:
>: Levels by Mark Klem are my favorite MM[2] levels. I always idclev to The
>: Hidden Slime Factory, or the Powerstation,
>Power Station was mainly by Eric Sargent, with `misc editing' by Klem
>(this is according to authors.txt). Makes me wonder just who was
>responsible for what.

Really? I saw that in the mminfo program first, but when I finished Hell's
Kitchen and was at the intermission screen, and it said:
entering
The PowerStation
Mark Klem

>: or Sabbath Sewer, or Base Exposure...

What would you call these types of levels? Tunnely? I love the overall
"theme" of these levels. Where can I find more of them?

>Notice that Base Exposure's music is credited to David Shaw (according to
>mm2.txt), but quotes a significant amount from one of Klem's own musics
>from MM 1! Nice bit of aural chutzpah there, guys.

I know!!!! I play with the SFX set to 7 and the MUSIC set to 15, so I don't
miss much when it comes to music! That's mainly because of my SB AWE32.
Theres a "riff" reminiscent(sp?) of MM's level 1.

> Which of course reminds me that Klem is such a terrific music
>composer, too...all those nifty echoes...many of them sound like shit in
>the game (Doom's primary purpose isn't to play music, after all!) but it's
>as good a reason as any to pull out mus2midi and a decent midi player.

Reeaaallly now.?.. hmmm... you mean that the music will actually get
BETTER when I use mus2midi? (BTW: It's called Qmus2mi2.zip on cdrom.com)

>: Hey this reminds me: What's a nice single player level like The Hidden
>: Slime Factory doing in a place only reachable in a co-op game???
>Blame Denis Moeller, who designed level 31.

Well, I guess when we get to level 31, I'll give my friend a mission. I'm
always green and he's always "dark grey", so I'll tell him to find the
super-secret exit. "It's in a pit-full of lava" I'll say.

>And while we're on the
>subject, *why* does Moeller think he can get away with making his pages
>frames-only?

I don't know, jeez. I have a hard time navigating at his site too. For
some reason, I have to type in the pages manually to get them to load
up, like mm2pics.html or something, because clicking on the link get's
me either a "file not found" error, OR it just reloads the main page!

>If he wasn't so good at level design in general (and texture
>creation--hate those `angry' skulls in MM2, incidentally,

I guess you LOVED the start of Rattamahatta. (Level 4, the imfamous "DUCK"
Nuke'm level.

>though the rest
>are great--and organizing, and...), I'd suspect he didn't have a working
>brain at all! (Yes, I'm kidding.)

Oooh... here comes a flame war. Unless this newsgroup slowed down so
much that no one cares anymore.... :-)

Frans P. de Vries

Sep 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/8/96

Jim Corrigan (bx...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA) wrote:
} Levels by Mark Klem are my favorite MM[2] levels. I always idclev to The
} Hidden Slime Factory, or the Powerstation, or Sabbath Sewer, or Base
} Exposure... Where can I find more wads?

ftp://{INS_site/path_HERE}/levels/doom2/m-o/mkbigwad.zip

where {INS_site/path_HERE} = any DOOM ftp site, eg. ftp.cdrom.com/pub/idgames
--
Frans P. de Vries | f...@xymph.iaf.nl | Rec.Games.Computer.Doom FAQ maintainer

Matthew Miller

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

[...]

Well, Sabbath Sewer is...well...sewer-ish. And Base Exposure
is...Base-ish. :)

: >Notice that Base Exposure's music is credited to David Shaw (according to

: >mm2.txt), but quotes a significant amount from one of Klem's own musics
: >from MM 1! Nice bit of aural chutzpah there, guys.
: I know!!!! I play with the SFX set to 7 and the MUSIC set to 15, so I don't
: miss much when it comes to music! That's mainly because of my SB AWE32.
: Theres a "riff" reminiscent(sp?) of MM's level 1.

Not just a riff. A few minutes in the tune suddenly changes and becomes
a blatant swipe of MM's level 1 music (which also plays during levels 18
and 29). Listen and compare.

: > Which of course reminds me that Klem is such a terrific music

: >composer, too...all those nifty echoes...many of them sound like shit in
: >the game (Doom's primary purpose isn't to play music, after all!) but it's
: >as good a reason as any to pull out mus2midi and a decent midi player.
: Reeaaallly now.?.. hmmm... you mean that the music will actually get
: BETTER when I use mus2midi?

No, but there are better midi players out there (Cubic Player comes to
mind, though you'll need Gravis Ultrasound patches and default.cfg file
for it) than that one (that I know of) .mus player.

: (BTW: It's called Qmus2mi2.zip on cdrom.com)

No, qmus2mid is a different program. I prefer mus2midi myself, since
qmus2mid's bugs haven't all been ironed out yet.

: >: Hey this reminds me: What's a nice single player level like The Hidden

: >: Slime Factory doing in a place only reachable in a co-op game???
: >Blame Denis Moeller, who designed level 31.
: Well, I guess when we get to level 31, I'll give my friend a mission. I'm
: always green and he's always "dark grey", so I'll tell him to find the
: super-secret exit. "It's in a pit-full of lava" I'll say.

It's somewhere in the southeast corner, I think.

: I guess you LOVED the start of Rattamahatta. (Level 4, the imfamous "DUCK"
: Nuke'm level.

Didn't care for it. Not because of the textures (or the childish "Duck
Nukem" bit), but because the level as a whole seems rather dull and
unoriginal.

George Bell

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

In article <zTRLn0B9...@scss.demon.co.uk>, Adam Williamson <Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:
> In article <50pltq$j...@news.advtech.uswest.com>, George Bell
> <be...@uswest.com> writes
> >In article <QKuTRbAe...@scss.demon.co.uk>, Adam Williamson
> ><Ad...@scss.demon.co.uk> writes:

> >> Hint for 6 - don't grab the
> >> blue sphere as soon as you see it, leave it and grab it when you come
> >> back to trigger the second big trap - the _really_ tough one.

> >What?? There's a supercharge on this level?? I didn't see it.

> I know my own level, thanks muchly :). It's in a secret. When you go up

> the stairs after going to the right in the outsidey bit which houses the
> first big trap look in the alcove to the right. On the stairs opposite
> there's four shells in each corner and a torch in the middle. This side,
> no torch in the middle. Go up to the wall, press it, hey! secret. Box of
> shells and a blue sphere.

OK, I found it. Great music on this level, by the way.

For a big challenge, try MM2 level 26 "Base Exposure". A "legendary
Mark Klem" level with 4 Cyberdemons!!

-George

ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR

Sep 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/9/96

On Thu, 5 Sep 1996 00:39:11 +0100, Paul Noble wrote:

> thanks Doug, it is a real compliment coming from an old skool doomer
> like yourself (there aint many left - what happened to thresh, dweller
> etc?)

Hi,

Dunno 'bout Thresh, but good ol' Dweller suddenly showed up on
EFNet #quake last Thursday (05/Sep/96). Everyone was going all
excited about him being back again (and he even remembered *me*
from the good ol' rgcd days (!) though I didn't recognize him
at first sight, as he was using "evildude" as his /nick instead
of the well-known "Dwe||er"). He said something to the extent
that he'd been changing jobs, which didn't leave him with much
free time, but he'd "return to the gaming scene" after a short
one-week vacation - YES!!! :-) He was not specific about "the
gaming scene" being DooM, Quake, IRC, Newsgroups, DM'ing, .WAD/
.BSP building or whatever, but anyway ... he'll be back shortly.

Thomas (already looking forward to The Dwe||er's return)

=---------------------------------=---------------------------------=
- ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR - "trust and you'll be trusted" -
- aka Thomas Zajic - said the liar to the fool -
- Vienna/Austria - type 'o' negative -
= ------------------------------- = ------------------------------- =
- <thomas...@hp-austria-om1.om.hp.com> -
=-------------------------------------------------------------------=

Jim Corrigan

Sep 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/10/96

> Hi!

>>some reason, I have to type in the pages manually to get them to load
>>up, like mm2pics.html or something, because clicking on the link get's
>>me either a "file not found" error, OR it just reloads the main page!

> Hmm. Now, what html-viewer do you use?

Uhh... Nestscape 2? What's the diff?

Adam Williamson

Sep 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/11/96

In article <514k44$e...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>, Jim Corrigan
<bx...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> writes

>> Hi!
>
>>>some reason, I have to type in the pages manually to get them to load
>>>up, like mm2pics.html or something, because clicking on the link get's
>>>me either a "file not found" error, OR it just reloads the main page!
>> Hmm. Now, what html-viewer do you use?
>
>Uhh... Nestscape 2? What's the diff?

I'm on NS 3.0 now, but I used 2.0 for a long time and Denis's page was
fine all the time.

Peter Foster

Sep 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/15/96

>>: Hey this reminds me: What's a nice single player level like The Hidden
>>: Slime Factory doing in a place only reachable in a co-op game???
>>Blame Denis Moeller, who designed level 31.

The Hidden Slime Factory can be reached in a single player game:

In the yellow key area there are two teleporters, one red (which is where you
come in) and one white. Take the white one. This takes you to the top of a
pillar, facing a small window. It is necessary to jump through this window.
You only get one go at it, so save first (tip - walk, don't run). You will
eventually find a fairly deep red lava pit. The door to the secret exit is in
this pit.

Peter Foster This sig is dedicated to all those who
616-231-2245 did not dedicate their sigs to themselves.
pfo...@pcug.org.au

Mark Klem

Sep 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/15/96

->>Power Station was mainly by Eric Sargent, with `misc editing' by Klem
->>(this is according to authors.txt). Makes me wonder just who was
->>responsible for what.

->Really? I saw that in the mminfo program first, but when I finished Hell's
->Kitchen and was at the intermission screen, and it said:
-> entering
-> The PowerStation
-> Mark Klem

Yeah, that was just an oversight. Eric did the level and I mainly just helped
him place the monsters. I may have added a part or two, don't remember.

Thanks, man. Go to http://www2.netdoor.com/~mark to find more goodies.

->>Notice that Base Exposure's music is credited to David Shaw (according to
->>mm2.txt), but quotes a significant amount from one of Klem's own musics
->>from MM 1! Nice bit of aural chutzpah there, guys.

Good observation. I thought that was pretty cool.

->> Which of course reminds me that Klem is such a terrific music
->>composer, too...all those nifty echoes...many of them sound like shit in
->>the game (Doom's primary purpose isn't to play music, after all!) but it's
->>as good a reason as any to pull out mus2midi and a decent midi player.

Well, the songs were primarily designed for Wave Table cards. :(
Mark A. Klem (ma...@netdoor.com) ___ ___ ___ ___
FTP site: ftp://ftp.netdoor.com/users/mark / V \ / V \
WWW PAGE: http://www2.netdoor.com/~mark | .^. .^. | .^. .^. |
---------------------------------------- | | |_| |_|_| |_| | |
CRINGE! for DOOM, the MK wads for DOOM2, _| |_ Memento _| |_
MEMENTO MORI, MEMENTO MORI II, |_ _| Mori II |_ _|
Wacky Wheels, STRAIN, REQUIEM, ALL HELL |_| Come Get It |_|

Jim Corrigan

Sep 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/15/96

Peter Foster (pfo...@pcug.org.au) writes:
>>>: Hey this reminds me: What's a nice single player level like The Hidden
>>>: Slime Factory doing in a place only reachable in a co-op game???
>

> The Hidden Slime Factory can be reached in a single player game:
>
> In the yellow key area there are two teleporters, one red (which is where you
> come in) and one white. Take the white one. This takes you to the top of a
> pillar, facing a small window. It is necessary to jump through this window.
> You only get one go at it, so save first (tip - walk, don't run). You will
> eventually find a fairly deep red lava pit. The door to the secret exit is in
> this pit.

I'll try that again, but I still think it's impossible to do. Just WALK,
right? That's what I've been doing.

Jim Corrigan

Sep 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/15/96

Mark Klem (ma...@netdoor.com) writes:
> ->What would you call these types of levels? Tunnely? I love the overall
> ->"theme" of these levels. Where can I find more of them?
>
> Thanks, man. Go to http://www2.netdoor.com/~mark to find more goodies.

Don't mention it. :-) These are my favorites.

> Well, the songs were primarily designed for Wave Table cards. :(

You mean like an AWE32? I've got that. Music's so good, I have SFX set
to 7 and MUSIC set to 16!