Too much Harsh Criticism

Chessdon

Dec 10, 2004, 1:55:16 PM12/10/04
I believe the move to Crossville may be a huge mistake for two reasons - the
cost to move, and secondly the failure to fully explore promising alternatives.

On the other hand I also have the highest ethical regard for those fellow Board
members of mine who made the decision to move. They are doing what they believe
is in the best interest of the USCF.

Yet, here on rgcp and elsewhere I see personal ruthlessness bringing
irrelevant matters into play.

Case in point, Beatriz doesn't want to accept a paid job from the USCF as she
can make considerable more money teaching chess here in Florida or in NYC.
But out of a true sense of duty , she will accept that job because she, like
others of us on the Board, believe:
a full=time-paid-manager-of-the-process-position is necessary.

Against her own wishes. Beatriz is resigning from the Board to work full time
on the move to Crossville. She is not a rich lady and like most of us needs to
be paid for full time employment.

My advice to Beatriz's critics is: stick to the real issues, you have a strong
hand. avoid the personnel stuff, it damages your case!.

Don Schultz

Rob Mitchell

Dec 10, 2004, 2:07:58 PM12/10/04
Don,
Very well said!
Cudos.
Rob

irvin

Dec 10, 2004, 3:08:16 PM12/10/04
Well said.

I believe that current board members can do great work if they just allow
themselves to think with an open mind.

I personally have nothing against them getting money for their efforts. It's
the right thing from an ethical or professional standpoint. Among other
things, because it makes them more willing to put in the time and effort
necessary to make the whole operation more profitable.

I say to Beatriz, Bill Goichberg, whomever: work for the USCF, make it a
more profitable operation and get paid in the process. It's good for
everyone.

Then, the process will be transparent.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

"Chessdon" <ches...@aol.com> wrote in message

Parrthenon

Dec 10, 2004, 9:37:07 PM12/10/04
< I personally have nothing against them getting money for their efforts. It's
the right thing from an ethical or professional standpoint. Among other things,
because it makes them more willing to put in the time and effort necessary to
make the whole operation more profitable. > -- irvin

> Against her own wishes. Beatriz is resigning from the Board to work full
time on the move to Crossville. She is not a rich lady and like most of us
needs to
be paid for full time employment. My advice to Beatriz's critics is: stick to
the real issues, you have a strong hand. avoid the personnel stuff, it

damages your case! > -- Don Schultz

The issues which the board resolutely does not discuss is why they could
not grant a truly reputable, chess-productive businessman such as Erik Anderson
two weeks to negotiate a deal with billionaire Gerry and why they will not
tell us the content of the contracts with Crossville.

I don't care what or with whom Beatriz Marinello does whatever she does. Or,
for that matter, what the rest of us most assuredly do or with whom or whoms.

On the other hand it is an issue if Beatriz Marinello, against her trothed
word, resigns from the Board and steps straight into a paid position with the
USCF, effectively replacing Bill Goichberg. We would have to state truthfully
that she broke her pledged word and that word is now depreciated severely.
There will be no particular reason to believe anything else she says in the
future, lest it be iterations of commonplace truths.

Board members must not step from volunteer service straight into remunerated
labor in Federation headquarters.

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.

irvin

Dec 10, 2004, 9:44:44 PM12/10/04
I agree completely with you, Larry, that Board Members jumping from one
position to another (if and when that happens) would set a very bad
precedent. It just not right.

Now, to clarify my previous statement: I feel that every person who does
work for the USCF is entitled to financial compensation (from the
beginning). It helps in keeping all affairs clean.

Please, notice that I come here as a chess fan (I used to be a master-rated
player) without an agenda. I'm not friends (or enemies, for that matter)
with any of the sides posting to these forums. Hopefully, I'll be able to
contribute in a positive manner.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

"Parrthenon" <parrt...@cs.com> wrote in message

Parrthenon

Dec 10, 2004, 9:48:28 PM12/10/04
< I agree completely with you, Larry, that Board Members jumping from one
position to another (if and when that happens) would set a very bad precedent.
It just not right. > -- irvin

I have called upon Sam Sloan to apologize to Beatriz Marinello and to those
of us who have supported many of his initiatives, though by no means all.

Where the likes of a Randy Bauer and Stan Booz are concerned -- or, for
that matter, a pack of past adversaries -- I never issued a similar call. I
never accused them of letting down our expectations.

Sam Sloan may wonder whether I am holding him to a skewed, higher
standard than I would the Messrs. Booz and Bauer.

The answer is yes. Entertaining a double standard is not altogether
fair, and Sam might at first imagine that he is getting the worst of it. But I
don't think anyone ever truly suffers when they are expected to do better.

Sam: you have taken an enormous amount of abuse on this forum. Your
person has been under scabrous attack on nearly a daily basis because the
political class wishes to make your person rather than the secrecy surrounding
the move to Crossville the issue. You have virtually never returned the
scatology and the baseness, which has been to your credit.

Sam: don't start now. Don't lower yourself to the level of the
opponents here who have employed extravagant bemerding language in posting
after posting.

Sam: accept the fact that there are several of us who expect you to
act better than a Randy Bauer or a Stan Booz.

Randy Bauer

Dec 10, 2004, 10:27:23 PM12/10/04

Larry Parr <parrt...@cs.com> wrote in message

> Sam: you have taken an enormous amount of abuse on this forum. Your
> person has been under scabrous attack on nearly a daily basis because the
> political class wishes to make your person rather than the secrecy
> surrounding
> the move to Crossville the issue. You have virtually never returned the
> scatology and the baseness, which has been to your credit.
>
> Sam: don't start now. Don't lower yourself to the level of the
> opponents here who have employed extravagant bemerding language in posting
> after posting.
>
> Sam: accept the fact that there are several of us who expect you
> act better than a Randy Bauer or a Stan Booz.

In a single post -- a sworn statement, no less -- Sloan:

Refers to respected former USCF President Dr. Leroy Dubeck as a "whacko"
bent on revenge who "wants [the USCF] to get into the building construction
business".

Refers to former Board member Harry Sabine as one who "cooked up this scheme
to move the USCF to Crossville." Alleges it is "widely known" that Sabine,
an attorney and county commissioner, "wants to become Executive Director of
the USCF."

Current President Beatriz Marinello is a "notorious lesbian" and she and
Vice President of Finance Tim Hanke are "unemployed with probably little
money." They have "questionable backgrounds" and we are "not sure" whether
they are "going to run off with the money." Tim and Beatriz running off
with the USCF money "could possibly happen."

Larry Parr's defense of Sloan -- and belief in him -- is bizarre. In an
earlier post, Parr took to attacking me with claims of ties to chess
political allies that he has not been able to back up with facts.

It's time for Parr to put up or shut up here as well. Parr, you've got a
whole Google archive to use as research, please find posts where I attacked
a similar number of respected chess figures to the despicable extent
exhibited here by Sam Sloan. If you cannot, I'll be waiting for a
correction. Of course, I won't hold my breath.

I realize it's too much to ask for an apology -- you've picked your bed, I
expect you to continue to lie in it.

Randy Bauer

Mike Nolan

Dec 10, 2004, 10:28:39 PM12/10/04
"irvin" <no...@none.com> writes:

>I agree completely with you, Larry, that Board Members jumping from one
>position to another (if and when that happens) would set a very bad
>precedent. It just not right.

Actually, if you want to cite precedent there have been at least two
Board members who were hired by the office over the years, Edmundson
and Thackrey.

Several Delegates have been hired by the office, too. Frank Elley and
Glenn Petersen were both Delegates. For that matter, Bill Goichberg
has been a Delegate for many years. I think Frank Niro and Grant Perks
had both served as Delegates in the past, too.
--
Mike Nolan

GrantPerks

Dec 10, 2004, 10:51:23 PM12/10/04

>Actually, if you want to cite precedent there have been at least two
>Board members who were hired by the office over the years, Edmundson
>and Thackrey.

Yes, but this was prior to the delegates passing the Standards of Conduct for
the USCF Executive Board.

Why don't sections (2)(a) and (2)(b) of the Standards apply in this case?
What's hard to understand about the passage "if such compensation results from
bids accepted or agreements made by the Board during his tenure"?

Grant Perks

"The USCF Board of Delegates establishes the following standards of conduct for
Executive Board members in the performance of their duties:
General Principles. Members of the USCF Executive Board have responsibilities
of the highest order for the promotion of chess and for stewardship of the
resources of the USCF.........

2)(a) Except where noted below, no Executive Board member or a member of his
immediate family may receive financial compensation from the USCF for any
reason, except for standard reimbursement of expenses, during his tenure on the
Board, or for two years after completing his tenure if such compensation
results from bids accepted or agreements made by the Board during his
tenure........
2)(b) No Executive Board member, or a member of his immediate family, may
profit financially from organizing or directing a national tournament or
activity organized or co-organized by the USCF, or from any business activity
of the USCF, if the Executive Board or the USCF business office is involved in
determining the arrangements; such restriction applies during the Board
member’s tenure and for two years thereafter, with respect to actions taken
during his or her tenure on the Board. This provision does not apply if the
bid, and all relevant financial arrangements, were finalized before the member
was elected to the Board, and are not changed to his advantage during his
tenure.

Tom Klem

Dec 10, 2004, 10:55:22 PM12/10/04

"Parrthenon" <parrt...@cs.com> wrote in message

> Sam: accept the fact that there are several of us who expect you
> act better than a Randy Bauer or a Stan Booz.

So am I missing something here, or has Sam Sloan been taking medication for
Adult Attention Deficit Disorder? Or is there something else afoot here.

Seriously, you and others stood by here (mostly mute) while more than forty
masters here in Nevada were denigrated, defamed (libled), threatened with
expulsion, and the loss of titles, priviliges and other appurtances granted
hereto by the USCF (important to some who spent years gathering them),
simply for wanting the state affiliate to work according to its bylaws. Sam
Sloan led the charge in the destruction of a whole organization of happy
chess playing, dues paying, ratings garnering (and paid for), USCF members.

Now you are telling us that there is a sweet and gentle side to Sam Sloan,
chief paid provoteur of the USCF????

I've heard the argument made against some that a leopard cannot change its
spots. Are you now advocating the opposite here?

--
Tom Klem

"That'll be the day"
---John Wayne

Parrthenon

Dec 10, 2004, 11:32:38 PM12/10/04
THE MYTH OF VOLUNTEERISM

Irvin's suggestion that Board members receive a stipend may have a lot of
arguments against it, but one argument in favor is that it would end the
claptrap about volunteer service. We could then hold our Board members to a
higher standard.

Mike Nolan

Dec 10, 2004, 11:35:34 PM12/10/04
gpe...@aol.comnojunk (GrantPerks) writes:

>>Actually, if you want to cite precedent there have been at least two
>>Board members who were hired by the office over the years, Edmundson
>>and Thackrey.

>Yes, but this was prior to the delegates passing the Standards of Conduct for
>the USCF Executive Board.

>Why don't sections (2)(a) and (2)(b) of the Standards apply in this case?
>What's hard to understand about the passage "if such compensation results from
>bids accepted or agreements made by the Board during his tenure"?

Officially, she won't be hired until after she resigns from the Board, which
could always decide not to do so after she resigns. It will take a 4-2
vote to hire her, as the President no longer has the authority to break
a tie on the Board.

As I have noted on numerous occasions, both on this forum and in
private e-mails to Grant (and others), though I have not found the motion
in my less-than-complete collection of Board Minutes, past Boards have
reportedly adopted an internal rule prohibiting Board members from
becoming USCF employees for a period of time. I think the interval
may have been one year when John Donaldson was on the board, I think there
was a two year interval adopted during either the Smith or Redman
presidencies.

However, the Delegates have never made such a rule explicit, though
they certainly have had ample opportunities to do so, such as by
rewriting the sections of the Code of Ethics Grant cites. The Board is
therefore free to change that internal rule or eliminate it, distasteful as
that may be to some. Perhaps there will be some ADMs submitted to address
this situation in August.

Whether either New York or Illinois not-for-profit law prohibits such
a hiring is a separate matter. Has anyone cited any specific statute
on this point?
--
Mike Nolan

GrantPerks

Dec 11, 2004, 4:11:07 AM12/11/04

>Officially, she won't be hired until after she resigns from the Board, which
>could always decide not to do so after she resigns. It will take a 4-2
>vote to hire her, as the President no longer has the authority to break
>a tie on the Board.

Mike, that's not how I see the rule with regard to the set of facts. My read is
that nothing should be negotiated prior to the end of her tenure on the board.
Apparently, according to what others have posted, the terms of employment has
already been agreed upon.

Therefore, hasn't the board broken this delegate mandate?

Best,
Grant Perks

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 6:03:49 AM12/11/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 02:44:44 GMT, "irvin" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>Please, notice that I come here as a chess fan (I used to be a master-rated
>player) without an agenda. I'm not friends (or enemies, for that matter)
>with any of the sides posting to these forums. Hopefully, I'll be able to
>contribute in a positive manner.
>
>--
>Irvin

I know all the chess masters and there is no chess master named Irvin.

Please tell us your real name.

Sam Sloan

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 6:20:48 AM12/11/04

As far as I am aware, back in 1966 when Edmonson became Executive
Dorector, there was no Policy Board. Edmondson created the position of
Executive Director which was approved by the delegates in the 1966
meeting in Seattle. I was one of those delegates. I remember Jerry
Hanken calling across the room "Who will it be?" when Edmonson
proposed the creation of the post of Executive Director.

That situation was completely different from the situation now. At
that time, Roland was riunning against Schultz for President. Roland
won. If Schultz had been elected who knows what would have happened.
At least the voters decided.

Here, where the seven member board accepts the "resignation" of Bill
Goichberg and appoints Beatriz Marinello to fill his place is
something which has never happened in the history of the USCF.

I do not know who Thackrey was. Please enlighten us.

Sam Sloan

Chessdon

Dec 11, 2004, 7:26:22 AM12/11/04
>As far as I am aware, back in 1966 when Edmonson became Executive
>Dorector, there was no Policy Board. Edmondson created the position of
>Executive Director which was approved by the delegates in the 1966
>meeting in Seattle. I was one of those delegates. I remember Jerry
>Hanken calling across the room "Who will it be?" when Edmonson
>proposed the creation of the post of Executive Director.
>
>That situation was completely different from the situation now. At
>that time, Roland was riunning against Schultz for President. Roland
>won. If Schultz had been elected who knows what would have happened.
>At least the voters decided.

I think it was similar!

Jerry Spann, Fred Crame , I and a few others started Operation Hi-Gear. Hi-Gear
was to raise money to support the high annual salary that would be required for
a new position "Executive Director."

The ED salary was set at $10,000 because Edmondson had told us that if he would
not be paid at least that much, then he would not accept the job and he would
not retire from the Air Force

Fortunately, all went according to plan. Ed 's presidency ended at the same
time as his career with the Air Force did. He immediately moved from Mather Air
Force Base in Sacramento to NY and became USCF's first Executive Director at a
salary of $10,000.

Don

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 6:10:41 AM12/11/04
On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:55:22 -0800, "Tom Klem" <the...@wizville.es>
wrote:

>Seriously, you and others stood by here (mostly mute) while more than forty
>masters here in Nevada were denigrated, defamed (libled), threatened with
>expulsion, and the loss of titles, priviliges and other appurtances granted
>hereto by the USCF (important to some who spent years gathering them),
>simply for wanting the state affiliate to work according to its bylaws.

>--
>Tom Klem

There have never been 40 masters in Nevada. No master in Nevada has
ever threatened with loss of title or anything else for that matter.
This joins the list of total fabrications of Tom Klem, right up there
with his storage locker filled with documents which prove his case and
the 1600 disenfranchised chess players.

Sam Sloan

irvin

Dec 11, 2004, 8:55:44 AM12/11/04
Sorry, Sam, I'm not Roy Irvin. But I'm still a master.

By the way, I think you have made some very valid points about the USCF and
it management.

If you offer me the apology, in spite of not being Roy Irvin, I'll accept
it.

I can give you my word that I didn't come here to attack you. I don't serve
anyone's interests and I'm not friends with anyone from either side.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:38:09 GMT, "irvin" <no...@none.com> wrote:
>
>>Sam,
>>
>>would you apologize if I can prove I'm a mastrer and that Irvin is my
>>name,
>>indeed?
>>
>>--
>>Irvin
>
> Wait a second! There was a famous chess master named Roy Irvin. He was
> not a mere master but a grandmaster strength player with a rating
> around 2500. He played in Lone Pine and defeated grandmasters.
>
> Later it was rumored that he had died. A Roy Irvin Memorial Tournament
> was organized. He showed up and played in the tournament. Everyone was
> embarassed.
>
> Then, he disappeared again. Tom Dorsch reported that he was living
> somewhere near Bakersfield.
>
> If you are that person, then I will gladly apologize and welcome you
> back.
>
> Sam Sloan

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 8:59:11 AM12/11/04
On 11 Dec 2004 13:51:38 GMT, wick...@cs.comKillSpam (Wickdeer3)
wrote:

>irvin wrote:
>
>>Sam,
>>
>>would you apologize if I can prove I'm a mastrer and that Irvin is my name,
>>indeed?
>>

>Nah, he would just find a weasel explanation as to why your proof was
>unconvincing, no matter how real your proof is.
>
>Wick Deer

Allow me to introduce me to William Deer. Back in 2000 I reported to
this group that US Chess Live was infected by Spyware, which was true.
Redman brought an ethics complaint against me for reporting that and
the Ethics Committee voted. The only member of the ethics committee
who voted to censure me for revealing the truth about US Chess Live
was William Deer.

He prefers to keep such matters hidden.

Sam Sloan

Wickdeer3

Dec 11, 2004, 8:51:38 AM12/11/04

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 8:40:33 AM12/11/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:21:59 GMT, "irvin" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>Hi, Sam
>
>I have never had an exchange with you. I'm not here to attack or defend you.
>I'm here to (hopefully) make positive contributions. Please, don't alienate
>me.
>
>Yes, I'm a master.
>
>Please, Sam: I don't have a history of lying here or taking up sides.
>Sometimes people tell the truth. Sometimes people don't have any hidden
>agendas. That's my case.
>
>I ask that you offer an apology. It's the right thing to do.
>
>--
>Irvin

I am not going to apologize for asking if you are really a master. The
master title is an official title award by the USCF and by other
official chess organizatons.

There are a few cases of people who are recognized as masters even
though no national organization has awarded that title. I doubt that
you are one of those cases.

From your response thus far, I am fairly certain that you are not
really a master.

Sam Sloan

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 8:01:29 AM12/11/04
On 11 Dec 2004 12:26:22 GMT, ches...@aol.com (Chessdon) wrote:

>>As far as I am aware, back in 1966 when Edmonson became Executive

>>Director, there was no Policy Board. Edmondson created the position of

Thank you for providing information about this important point of USCF
history.

However, there are more differences than similarities. In 1966,
Edmondson was at the conclusion of his three year term of office. He
had been a very effective though unpaid president. He was popular with
the members. If he had not taken the position of USCF Executive
Director, he would have just continued as a colonel in the Air Force.

Beatriz is a volunteer president now. She wants to move to a paid
position. If the board does not agree to this in advance, she will
continue as president until August and as a member of the board until
2007.

So, if we want to get her off the board, we have to agree to her
demands. That is called blackmail or perhaps extortion.

Sam Sloan .

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 8:54:02 AM12/11/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 13:38:09 GMT, "irvin" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>Sam,
>
>would you apologize if I can prove I'm a mastrer and that Irvin is my name,
>indeed?

irvin

irvin

Wickdeer3

Dec 11, 2004, 9:25:11 AM12/11/04
Sam Sloan wrote:

>Allow me to introduce me to William Deer. Back in 2000 I reported to
>this group that US Chess Live was infected by Spyware, which was true.
>Redman brought an ethics complaint against me for reporting that and
>the Ethics Committee voted. The only member of the ethics committee
>who voted to censure me for revealing the truth about US Chess Live
>was William Deer.
>
>He prefers to keep such matters hidden.

Shockingly, Sam's account is inaccurate.

Unfortunately, ethics committee rules do not allow me to discuss the
particulars.

Wick Deer

Chessdon

Dec 11, 2004, 8:59:16 AM12/11/04
>Edmondson was at the conclusion of his three year term of office. He
>had been a very effective though unpaid president. He was popular with
>the members.

As for history there is one piece that is not well understood.

Yes, Ed Edmondson was a great Executive Director.

Those were the days of USCF's Camelot.

And Edmondson was the JFK of U.S. chess.

BUT

Ed was a poor president.

He simply didn't have time for the job.

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 10:09:40 AM12/11/04

Very interesting, and for this I will change the title of this thread.

Grandmaster William Lombardy says that $485,000 went missing while
Edmondson was Executive Director.

Have you found the missing $485,000 ?

I will split it with you.

I promise not to tell.

Sam Sloan

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 10:12:01 AM12/11/04
On 11 Dec 2004 14:25:11 GMT, wick...@cs.comKillSpam (Wickdeer3)
wrote:

Right. You always say that Committee Rules prohibit you from revealing
who cast the lone negative vote.

But everyone knows you did it.

And everyone knows that there really was Spyware in US Chess Live.

Sam Sloan

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 10:47:29 AM12/11/04
On 11 Dec 2004 15:45:42 GMT, wick...@cs.comKillSpam (Wickdeer3)
wrote:

>Sam Sloan wrote:
>
>>But everyone knows you did it.
>>

>Yeeah, and everybody knew that Peter Leko was dead.
>
>Plays pretty well for a Zombie, doesn't he?
>
>Wick Deer

Nobody else on the committee has any reluctance to reveal how they
voted, except for you.

Why is that?

Sam Sloan

StanB

Dec 11, 2004, 10:47:04 AM12/11/04

> There have never been 40 masters in Nevada. No master in Nevada has
> ever threatened with loss of title or anything else for that matter.
> This joins the list of total fabrications of Tom Klem, right up there
> with his storage locker filled with documents which prove his case and
> the 1600 disenfranchised chess players.

I saw this locker. It is actually a gray footlocker with the letters USN
emblazoned on it. Inside were the documents as well as a sailor's hat such
as you see in those old WWII movies; a can of Kiwi black shoe polish, a
piece of flannel, a candle; and, a bunch of movie tickets stamped with the
letters TS all of which had been punched.

Wickdeer3

Dec 11, 2004, 10:45:42 AM12/11/04
Sam Sloan wrote:

>But everyone knows you did it.

Yeeah, and everybody knew that Peter Leko was dead.

Chessdon

Dec 11, 2004, 10:49:27 AM12/11/04
>randmaster William Lombardy says that $485,000 went missing while
>Edmondson was Executive Director.
>
>Have you found the missing $485,000

I have not heard that before. On the other hand USCF had nothing like $485,000
to lose when he became ED. So he had to first bring it in in order to lose it.

Also If true, some of it could have come from gifts of Life Memberships to
foreign chess dignatories. I believe Ed gave Roy Clues a free Life membership.
He probably gave out life memberships to others as part of his program to get
more invitations to foreign tournaments for our top players of the day.

Above is speculation on my part assumming there is credibility to the Lombardy
allegation.
.
.

Wickdeer3

Dec 11, 2004, 10:53:48 AM12/11/04
Sam Sloan wrote:

>Nobody else on the committee has any reluctance to reveal how they
>voted, except for you.
>
>Why is that?

Since your premise is false, the why question cannot be answered.

Wick Deer

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 10:59:13 AM12/11/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 15:09:40 GMT, sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

Hey. Have I got a deal for you!!!

I will make you a better deal.

You call Lombardy. (I assume that you have the number). He will tell
you about the missing $485,000.

After you find the money, just give one-third for me and one-third to
Lombardy.

You can keep the other one-third for yourself.

How is that for a great deal!

Only thing is, we should throw something to Booby, as I suspect that
he has something to do with this.

Sam Sloan

Mike Nolan

Dec 11, 2004, 11:03:44 AM12/11/04
sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan) writes:

>I know all the chess masters and there is no chess master named Irvin.

According to USCF records there is a master in New York named
Irvin A. Gomez. This person was on the ratings list from 1992 (which is
as far back as our computerized records go on ratings list) through 1999
but has not been active lately.

Irvin Gomez has a published rating of 2213.
--
Mike Nolan

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 11:22:58 AM12/11/04

Wonderful. Thank you.

Let's see if this is the one.

Sam Sloan

Mike Murray

Dec 11, 2004, 11:29:37 AM12/11/04

That would be about $2,214,000 in todays dollars
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

As I remember, there were allegations of overly lavish expense-account
spending in those days. But burning through two and a quarter
million...

irvin

Dec 11, 2004, 11:41:28 AM12/11/04
Hi, Mike

Yes, that's me.

Hopefully, Sam will offer his apology now and we can move on. However, if
Sam decides that an apology is not necessary, that's also ok with me. No
hard feelings, either way.

--
Irvin
-------------------------

"Mike Nolan" <no...@gw.tssi.com> wrote in message

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 11:50:07 AM12/11/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:41:28 GMT, "irvin" <no...@none.com> wrote:

>Hi, Mike
>
>Yes, that's me.
>
>Hopefully, Sam will offer his apology now and we can move on. However, if
>Sam decides that an apology is not necessary, that's also ok with me. No
>hard feelings, either way.
>

>--
>Irvin
>-------------------------
>http://www.pixel69.com

OK. I apologize for asking if you are really a master.

I should have known that soimeone named Irvin must be a master.

Sam Sloan

Mike Nolan

Dec 11, 2004, 11:54:17 AM12/11/04
"irvin" <no...@none.com> writes:

>Hi, Mike

>Yes, that's me.

>Hopefully, Sam will offer his apology now and we can move on. However, if
>Sam decides that an apology is not necessary, that's also ok with me. No
>hard feelings, either way.

Sam seldom even acknowledges his many errors in fact, much less apologize
for them, so don't hold your breath.

Yet another false claim: Sam knows all the masters. Apparently
he doesn't even know all the ones in New York.
--
Mike Nolan

irvin

Dec 11, 2004, 12:06:10 PM12/11/04
Thanks, Sam.

No hard feelings, as I said in a previous post.

--
Irvin
-------------------------
http://www.pixel69.com

"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message

David

Dec 11, 2004, 12:26:11 PM12/11/04

"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> OK. I apologize for asking if you are really a master.

<snip>
> Sam Sloan

The world has now ended as I know it.

David

--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block

Parrthenon

Dec 11, 2004, 12:31:18 PM12/11/04
< I believe the move to Crossville may be a huge mistake for two reasons - the
cost to move, and secondly the failure to fully explore promising alternatives.
> -- Don Schultz

> Perhaps Sam Sloan or Minling or Stan Booz or someone else can do a
comparison of this year's budget with that of last year in an attempt to
figure out where the Federation actually stands at this moment. > -- Larry Parr

< How? The present management does not comply with board requests for financial
data. The CFO quit the other day giving no reason. He left his keys on the desk
and drove off into the sunset. Perhaps he was asked to cook the books one too
many times. > -- CPA Stan Booz

My sources tell me the USCF may not be able to afford a move anywhere because
there is at least a $100,000 mistake in the budget. USCF may indeed be faced
with a serious cash crunch by next March, as foreseen by Dr. Leroy Dubeck.

"Planning for worst case scenario, USCF won't have a pot to piss in."

Perhaps now Beatriz Marinello can quiz the staff to find this leak.

"FIDE has made its decision. Players who refuse to be drug tested will not be
able to play chess." -- Dr. Press, co-founder of the FIDE Medical Commission.

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 1:08:21 PM12/11/04
On 11 Dec 2004 17:31:18 GMT, parrt...@cs.com (Parrthenon) wrote:

>< I believe the move to Crossville may be a huge mistake for two reasons - the
>cost to move, and secondly the failure to fully explore promising alternatives.
>> -- Don Schultz
>
>> Perhaps Sam Sloan or Minling or Stan Booz or someone else can do a
> comparison of this year's budget with that of last year in an attempt to
>figure out where the Federation actually stands at this moment. > -- Larry Parr
>
>< How? The present management does not comply with board requests for financial
>data. The CFO quit the other day giving no reason. He left his keys on the desk
>and drove off into the sunset. Perhaps he was asked to cook the books one too
>many times. > -- CPA Stan Booz
>
>My sources tell me the USCF may not be able to afford a move anywhere because
>there is at least a $100,000 mistake in the budget. USCF may indeed be faced
>with a serious cash crunch by next March, as foreseen by Dr. Leroy Dubeck.
>
>"Planning for worst case scenario, USCF won't have a pot to piss in."
>
> Perhaps now Beatriz Marinello can quiz the staff to find this leak.

OK. My guess is that the leak is Dubeck himself.

If not, then it must be Beatriz.

It could not be any of the obvious places, because none of them speak
to you, I think.

Sam Sloan

Spam Scone

Dec 11, 2004, 1:44:43 PM12/11/04

Sam Sloan wrote:

> OK. My guess is that the leak is Dubeck himself.
>
> If not, then it must be Beatriz.
>
> It could not be any of the obvious places, because none of them speak
> to you, I think.
>
> Sam Sloan

Tim Hanke leaks like a sieve.

Tom Klem

Dec 11, 2004, 2:37:09 PM12/11/04
Yeah yeah.

Just like Sam Sloan claimed that Stan Vaughan was receiving hundreds of kids
magazines to cheat in elections. When that lie was proved wrong by the USCF
(it took months to get the information from the USCF, btw), Sam Sloan went
on to his next claim.

I was in the Rainbow Library here in Vegas, many times with most of the
masters. I have the data lists from the time. All of which is part of the
public record.

Sam Sloan. Liar. Lie de jour, there were no forty masters ... no one was
threatened.

I would bet---if I were a betting man, that this story is familiar to dozens
of others who had similar experiences in their locale with the USCF.

--
Tom Klem

"Slanders, Libels and Defamations are our business!"
---sign hanging up in the back of Spam Sloan's rusting cab.
"StanB" <stan...@comXXXcast.net> wrote in message

ASCACHESS

Dec 11, 2004, 2:52:12 PM12/11/04

>Shockingly, Sam's account is inaccurate.
>
>Unfortunately, ethics committee rules do not allow me to discuss the
>particulars.
>
>Wick Deer

Sam,
As secrecy is just one of USCF's problems, why don't you release Wick from his
confidentiality restraint in discussing your case.

If he still continues to refuse to discuss it, we will know that there is a
problem on his end, not yours.

Rp

Parrthenon

Dec 11, 2004, 3:07:17 PM12/11/04
SECRECY

" Perhaps now Beatriz Marinello can quiz the staff to find this leak." -- Larry
Parr

"OK. My guess is that the leak is Dubeck himself. If not, then it must be
Beatriz. It could not be any of the obvious places, because none of them speak

to you, I think." -- Sam Sloan

Right, Sam.

In any properly run normal not-for-profit organization there would be no
need for secrecy. The very fact that financial data must be leaked indicates a
fundamental sickness at the core of the USCF.

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 3:28:01 PM12/11/04

OK. Good point.

I hereby release Wick Deer from any confidentiality restraint in
discussing my case and from any requirement to keep anything about the
ethics complaint against me confidential.

You may spill the beans.

Sam Sloan

StanB

Dec 11, 2004, 3:56:12 PM12/11/04

> "OK. My guess is that the leak is Dubeck himself. If not, then it must be
> Beatriz. It could not be any of the obvious places, because none of them
> speak
> to you, I think." -- Sam Sloan
>
> Right, Sam.
>
> In any properly run normal not-for-profit organization there would be no
> need for secrecy. The very fact that financial data must be leaked
> indicates a
> fundamental sickness at the core of the USCF.

I don't know how Larry supports his postulation. It has nothing to do with
nonprofits. Secrecy doesn't benefit boards. It benefits management.The
shoddier the management the more it benefits them. My guess is that Dubeck
and Marinello haven't seen the financials either. I predict the sickness
will be cured come January 1st.

Spam Scone

Dec 11, 2004, 4:02:22 PM12/11/04

ASCACHESS wrote:

> >Shockingly, Sam's account is inaccurate.
> >
> >Unfortunately, ethics committee rules do not allow me to discuss the
> >particulars.
> >
> >Wick Deer
> >

> Sam,
> As secrecy is just one of USCF's problems, why don't you release Wick
from his
> confidentiality restraint in discussing your case.

The restraint isn't Sloan's to release. This is not like signing a
letter to allow a third party to look at your bank statement.

ASCACHESS

Dec 11, 2004, 5:43:32 PM12/11/04
>Wick
>from his
>> confidentiality restraint in discussing your case.
>
>The restraint isn't Sloan's to release. This is not like signing a
>letter to allow a third party to look at your bank statement.

This is nonsense.
The ethics case was against Sam.

Who do you think has the privilege?
Ridiculous.

Rp

Spam Scone

Dec 11, 2004, 5:59:55 PM12/11/04

No one.

> Ridiculous.

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 6:27:41 PM12/11/04

Right. On this one I completely agree with cousin Peterson.

What Wick Deer is really claiming is that he, Wick, has the right of
privacy, but he has no such rigjht.

Sam Sloan

ASCACHESS

Dec 11, 2004, 6:52:42 PM12/11/04
>> This is nonsense.
>> The ethics case was against Sam.
>>
>> Who do you think has the privilege?
>
>No one.

No one has privilege?
That is not fair procedure, that is a star chamber.

Tom Klem

Dec 11, 2004, 7:13:40 PM12/11/04
I posted the proof that Sam's claim was false. I posted all the router logs
showing that when you log in to USCL, (even today), you get USCL and sent no
where else.

Sam is simply a liar. Nothing he says can be trusted.

You can find my logs proving yet another Sam Sloan lie in google.

--

"Wickdeer3" <wick...@cs.comKillSpam> wrote in message
> Sam Sloan wrote:
>
> >Allow me to introduce me to William Deer. Back in 2000 I reported to
> >this group that US Chess Live was infected by Spyware, which was true.
> >Redman brought an ethics complaint against me for reporting that and
> >the Ethics Committee voted. The only member of the ethics committee
> >who voted to censure me for revealing the truth about US Chess Live
> >was William Deer.
> >
> >He prefers to keep such matters hidden.

Sam Sloan

Dec 11, 2004, 8:50:32 PM12/11/04
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:13:40 -0800, "Tom Klem" <the...@wizville.es>
wrote:

>You can find my logs proving yet another Sam Sloan lie in google.
>
>--
>Tom Klem

Right. I forgot that you had that in your storage locker.

Frodo

Dec 11, 2004, 9:00:01 PM12/11/04
"Sam Sloan" <> >Grandmaster William Lombardy says that $485,000 went missing

while Edmondson was Executive Director. Have you found the missing $485,000
? You call Lombardy. (I assume that you have the number). He will tell you
about the missing $485,000.

Aren't all those guys dead?? If they were retired from the Air Force in
1966, 38 years later??

Tom Klem

Parrthenon

Dec 11, 2004, 11:30:53 PM12/11/04
I don't know whether Sam is right about what everyone knows about spyware
and how Wickster voted. I do know that he would have been right to say that
the USCF ethics committee is the most unethical group of gents in chess,
outside of FIDE.

This is the group that deliberates secretly and deflects responsibility
for some of the most outrageously immoral decisions ever rendered. The
condemnation of Tom Dorsch comes to mind.

As for spyware, did the Federation finally admit that such was in the
site?

Chessbored101859

Dec 11, 2004, 11:47:37 PM12/11/04
>On the other hand it is an issue if Beatriz Marinello, against her trothed
>word, resigns from the Board and steps straight into a paid position with the
>USCF, effectively replacing Bill Goichberg.

Would this position be TEMPORARY with a DEFINITE cutoff date? If open-ended,
then this smacks of a way to just settle in as ED.

Wickdeer3

Dec 12, 2004, 1:04:13 AM12/12/04
Richard Peterson wrote:

The reason for the rule is to allow members of the ethics committee to vote
their conscience without the fear of political reprisal.

Mr. Sloan is being kind enough to demonstrate the reason for the rule. His
badgering is precisely the sort of thing that the rule is designed to prevent.

Wick Deer

Sam Sloan

Dec 12, 2004, 6:43:41 AM12/12/04
On 12 Dec 2004 06:04:13 GMT, wick...@cs.comKillSpam (Wickdeer3)
wrote:

Wick Deer was put on the Ethics Committee by Jim Eade, who is one of
the most unethical people in all of chess.

By your answers, you are just a political hack trying to protect
yourself, Eade and Redman. Everybody now knows that my statements
about which the ethics complaint was filed by Redman were true and
accurate.

Sam Sloan

StanB

Dec 12, 2004, 10:17:05 AM12/12/04

> Wick Deer was put on the Ethics Committee by Jim Eade, who is one of
> the most unethical people in all of chess.

A title that no one will ever be able to take from you.

Parrthenon

Dec 12, 2004, 10:47:25 AM12/12/04
Here are the minutes of a Policy Board conference as recorded by
Doris Barry, who had an interest in Games Parlor, if I am not mistaken.

Sam: can you comment on this finding by the Policy Board? Tell us
why, in your view, they are wrong.

Yours, Larry Parr

Minutes of the conference call held on March 26, 2001 at the request of
President Redman.

The meeting was called to order at 8:06 PM EST.

Present: Helen Warren

Joe Ippolito

Tim Redman

John McCrary

Jim Pechac

George DeFeis

Judy Misner

Jeff Loomis

Doris Barry

(Bob Smith was unavailable to participate in the meeting. Verification by ATT)

Agenda:

1. Closed Session: Personnel issue.

2. Updates from Board members, Jeff Loomis and Judy Misner about various
priority projects.

3. A motion on spyware drafted and already circulated (second version).

4. The Binfo packet mailing.

Motion: (Redman) Mr. Sam Sloan has mailed and posted the following statement:

“US Chess Live software is infected with spyware. It installs spyware into
your system, enabling the operators to read your entire hard drive, including
your credit card numbers, your bank account passwords and the like.

After consulting with various volunteer and staff professionals, including the
Chair of the US Chess Live Subcommittee of the USCF Computer and Internet
Committee and the USCF Online Manager, and relying on the statements of the CEO
of Games Parlor, Inc., the Executive Board has concluded:

1) The statement by Mr. Sam Sloan is false and has materially damaged the
USCF and Games Parlor

2) The Conducent software used by US Chess Live does not collect
personally identifiable information.

3) The new software, Valueclick, whose use had been planned at the point were
US Chess Live reached 10,000 subscribers, carries no more risk to users than
most major websites on the Internet that carry ads.

The Board endorses the report of the US Chess Live Subcommittee, the statement
by the USCF Online Manager in the May issue of Chess Life, and the statements
on Conducent vs Radiate advertising by the CEO of Games Parlor on the USCF
website and his statement regarding Valueclick software, as to the safety of US
Chess Live.

Motion Passed 5 In Favor: Helen Warren, Joe Ippolito, Tim Redman, Jim
Pechac, Doris Barry

1 Abstention: John Mc Crary

The Board discussed and approved the mailing of the Binfo packet
as planned. John McCrary , who objected on the grounds that the mailing would
be too costly, withdrew his objection on the condition that the minutes note
his reasoning. All other Board members present approved the mailing.

Minutes respectfully submitted by Doris L. Barry, USCF Secretary

(Note: the motion is subject to verification by the transcript)

http://georgejohn.bcentralhost.com/GeorgeJohn/Chess/uscf/Computer/USCL3.htm

StanB

Dec 12, 2004, 11:20:08 AM12/12/04

> Here are the minutes of a Policy Board conference as recorded by
> Doris Barry, who had an interest in Games Parlor, if I am not mistaken.

You are.

Sam Sloan

Dec 12, 2004, 11:26:52 AM12/12/04
Very interesting. They rely on a report by Games Parlor itself that
Games Parlor software did not contain spyware, plus a report by George
John, a confirmed member of the Redman Gang who knew very little about
computers.

Interesting that they cite a report published in Chess Life by Myron
Lieberman, but the Lieberman Report clearly stated that there was
spyware in US Chess Life. Go back and read it.

Later on, both Conducit and Radiate, the producers of the spyware that
was in US Chess Life, were put out of business by the legal
authorities. I do not know if they went to jail.

Who would you believe, George John, Tim Redman or the Michigan
Attorney General? Which one of these can put you in jail?

Which way did you vote on this, Wick Deer?

Sam Sloan

Mike Murray

Dec 12, 2004, 11:39:38 AM12/12/04
On 12 Dec 2004 15:47:25 GMT, parrt...@cs.com (Parrthenon) wrote:

>Motion: (Redman) Mr. Sam Sloan has mailed and posted the following statement:

>å¡«S Chess Live software is infected with spyware. It installs spyware into

>your system, enabling the operators to read your entire hard drive, including
>your credit card numbers, your bank account passwords and the like.

Spyware in general involves the risk of compromising sensitive
information. It appears Sam may have erred in claiming that this
particular instance of spyware collected such information.

>After consulting with various volunteer and staff professionals, including the
>Chair of the US Chess Live Subcommittee of the USCF Computer and Internet
>Committee and the USCF Online Manager, and relying on the statements of the CEO
>of Games Parlor, Inc., the Executive Board has concluded:

>1) The statement by Mr. Sam Sloan is false and has materially damaged the
>USCF and Games Parlor

>2) The Conducent software used by US Chess Live does not collect
>personally identifiable information.

>3) The new software, Valueclick, whose use had been planned at the point were
>US Chess Live reached 10,000 subscribers, carries no more risk to users than
>most major websites on the Internet that carry ads.

With the perspective gained from a few more years experience with this
class of software, we know that the risk is by no means negligible.

Even if it respects private information, spyware compromises the
performance of the host machine. And information collected by
"ethical" spyware is available to rogue applications.

Since the time of this brouhaha, a whole sub-industry, with the
mission to detect and eliminate spyware, has evolved. I run Ad-Aware
SE on my computer once or twice a week.

Wickdeer3

Dec 12, 2004, 11:56:13 AM12/12/04
Mike Murray wrote:

>Since the time of this brouhaha, a whole sub-industry, with the
>mission to detect and eliminate spyware, has evolved. I run Ad-Aware
>SE on my computer once or twice a week.

Personally, I like to run both Ad Aware and Spy bot, although I don't run them
as often as I should.

Wick Deer

HAASpittle

Dec 12, 2004, 3:19:19 PM12/12/04
"Personally, I like to run both Ad Aware and Spy bot, although I don't run them
as often as I should." (Wick Deer)
=============
I added exactly those two - the free versions - a couple of months ago on
the advice of AOL technical support. Now I run them both about once a week.

Old Haasie

Parrthenon

Dec 12, 2004, 4:49:21 PM12/12/04

<Against her own wishes. Beatriz is resigning from the Board to work full time
on the move to Crossville. She is not a rich lady and like most of us needs to
be paid for full time employment. > -- Don Schultz

> On the other hand it is an issue if Beatriz Marinello, against her trothed
word, resigns from the Board and steps straight into a paid position with

theUSCF, effectively replacing Bill Goichberg. > -- Larry Parr

<Would this position be TEMPORARY with a DEFINITE cutoff date? If open-ended,

then this smacks of a way to just settle in as ED. > Chessbored

To our great surprise, no board member will answer this question.

Randy Bauer says that Beatriz Marinello has spent thousands of dollars of
her own money because of her selfless love and devotion to chess.

But Don Schultz says she is not rich and needs to be paid for supervising
the move to Crossville on behalf of the USCF.

Which is it?

One thing, however, is certain: If Beatriz Marinello steps down as president
before her term expires and walks directly into a paid position with the USCF
on an interim basis, then it would validate Sam Sloan's suspicions regardless
of the outcome of his lawsuit.

Chessdon

Dec 12, 2004, 6:35:32 PM12/12/04
><Would this position be TEMPORARY with a DEFINITE cutoff date? If open-ended,
>then this smacks of a way to just settle in as ED. > Chessbored
>
> To our great surprise, no board member will answer this question.

Yes TEMPORARY ends 6 months from start date -- Don Schultz

> Randy Bauer says that Beatriz Marinello has spent thousands of dollars
>of
>her own money because of her selfless love and devotion to chess.
>
> But Don Schultz says she is not rich and needs to be paid for supervising
>the move to Crossville on behalf of the USCF.
>
> Which is it?

Both, there is a difference between a full time job as opposed to part time
where you pick and choose your tasks and in Beatriz's case she has income from
teaching chess toe children that she would have to forego to accept the full
time job.

Randy Bauer

Dec 12, 2004, 6:41:31 PM12/12/04

> <Against her own wishes. Beatriz is resigning from the Board to work full
> time
> on the move to Crossville. She is not a rich lady and like most of us
> needs to
> be paid for full time employment. > -- Don Schultz
>
> > On the other hand it is an issue if Beatriz Marinello, against her
> > trothed
> word, resigns from the Board and steps straight into a paid position with
> theUSCF, effectively replacing Bill Goichberg. > -- Larry Parr
>
> <Would this position be TEMPORARY with a DEFINITE cutoff date? If
> open-ended,
> then this smacks of a way to just settle in as ED. > Chessbored
>
> To our great surprise, no board member will answer this question.
>
> Randy Bauer says that Beatriz Marinello has spent thousands of dollars
> of
> her own money because of her selfless love and devotion to chess.
>
> But Don Schultz says she is not rich and needs to be paid for
> supervising
> the move to Crossville on behalf of the USCF.
>
> Which is it?

It's both, which again shows just how much more interested in the survival
of the USCF she is than most anybody else posting here, including Parr and
me.

Yes, it will be a defined period of time. Yes, it will be temporary. Yes,
it will be to effectuate the move. No, it will not be as Executive
Director.

Parr, is that clear enough for you, or should I put on the caps lock and
type slower?

Randy Bauer

StanB

Dec 12, 2004, 7:37:04 PM12/12/04

"Parrthenon" <parrt...@cs.com> wrote in message

> Randy Bauer says that Beatriz Marinello has spent thousands of dollars

> of
> her own money because of her selfless love and devotion to chess.
>
> But Don Schultz says she is not rich and needs to be paid for
> supervising
> the move to Crossville on behalf of the USCF.
>
> Which is it?

Both.

Sam Sloan

Dec 12, 2004, 7:46:23 PM12/12/04

>teaching chess to children that she would have to forego to accept the full
>time job.

If her term is six months then that means it will expire in July when
the USCF elections will be held. Goichberg will be elected (that is a
certainty) and Beatriz will be fired anyway, so you are not conceding
much by limiting her term to six months. It is a virtual certainty
that regardless of who wins the election Beatriz will be fired because
the USCF membership is overwhelmingly opposed to this move.

I am shocked that Don Schultz and Randy Bauer are signing on to this
obviously improper and unethical if not illegal deal. Have you no
shame?

Sam Sloan
http://www.samsloan.com/marinello.htm

Spam Scone

Dec 12, 2004, 7:51:33 PM12/12/04

Randy Bauer wrote:

> Parr, is that clear enough for you, or should I put on the caps lock
and
> type slower?
>
> Randy Bauer

This reminds me of one of the best lines from the television series
M*A*S*H. Radar (like Randy, an Iowan) was seated at a typewriter
composing a letter home. He read aloud as he wrote, "I know you don't
read very fast, so I am typing this slowly."

Sam Sloan

Dec 12, 2004, 7:52:04 PM12/12/04

No. It is not clear, not clear at all.

If Beatriz is not going to be the Executive Director, then who will
the Executive Director be?

Sam Sloan

HAASpittle

Dec 12, 2004, 7:57:45 PM12/12/04
How can Chess HQ find a permanent ED amid all this confusion?

Old Haasie

StanB

Dec 12, 2004, 8:00:02 PM12/12/04

> If Beatriz is not going to be the Executive Director, then who will
> the Executive Director be?

Only person ruled out so far is you Sammy.

HAASpittle

Dec 12, 2004, 8:13:47 PM12/12/04
"No. It is not clear, not clear at all. If Beatriz is not going to be the
Executive Director, then who will the Executive Director be? (Sam Sloan)
===========
Good question. Who'd take that job at maybe $60,000 tops, move to
Crossville, and then get fired by one or another bizarre board?

Old Haasie

Randy Bauer

Dec 12, 2004, 8:53:16 PM12/12/04

"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message

SOMEBODY OTHER THAN HER. GOT IT??? DO I NEED TO REPEAT IT FOR YOU??? HAVE
YOU COMPREHENDED IT YET??? IT WON'T BE HER. IT WILL BE SOMEBODY ELSE. IT
WON'T BE BEATRIZ, U.S. CITIZEN THAT SHE IS, STRONGER CHESS PLAYER THAN YOU
THAT SHE IS, MUCH BETTER PERSON, PERSON NOT PRONE TO LIES THAT SHE IS.NOT
SAM SLOAN THAT SHE THANKFULLY IS.

SHE'S GOING TO BE TOO BUSY I HOPE SUING YOU FOR LIBEL TO SERVE AS EXECUTIVE
DIRECTOR ANYWAY.

IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH FOR YOU??????

Randy Bauer

ASCACHESS

Dec 12, 2004, 8:54:15 PM12/12/04

Without fear of political reprisal?
More certain is the fear of political persecution by the USCF membership where
the ethics committee can hide their findings.

It is easy to attack Sam and lord knows I have done it myself, but that doesn't
mean he is always wrong. Yet, the USCF Grand Jury which can indicte a pawn
uses attacking Sam as a fallback position when the issues become uncomfortable.

Does Sam play fast and loose with the truth? You bet.
Does the membership trust the governing class when they hide the facts? Look
at the membership numbers.

Secrecy in a non-profit, does not belong. It is the slippery slope.

Richard Peterson

Mike Nolan

Dec 12, 2004, 9:12:57 PM12/12/04
sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan) writes:

>the USCF membership is overwhelmingly opposed to this move.

Actually, I suspect the overwhelming majority of USCF members don't give
a damn where the office is as long as ratings get done and the magazine
comes out on time.
--
Mike Nolan

Wundrful1

Dec 12, 2004, 9:42:08 PM12/12/04
>Actually, if you want to cite precedent there have been at least two
>Board members who were hired by the office over the years, Edmundson
>and Thackrey.

Sam, I'm deeply hurt that you don't know who Thackrey is. Let me tell you...

I was on the Kolty Policy Board, elected in 1975. (The first woman ever elected
to the PB.) I resigned in 1977 for personal reasons and enrolled in shool in
Philly. While there I was interviewing for a position with a law firm in D.C.
At the same time, Martin Morrison contacted me and asked me to come an work at
the USCF office. I finished my course work and decided to go to New Windsor
with the understanding that I would stay no more than 18 months. That time
expired at about the same time the "bad guys" at the USCF office resigned.
Martin Morrison was the ED at that time, and four other managers resigned with
him. This was days ahead of being fired by the new Policy Board. To this day
nobody has asked any of us the circumstances of that situation. This was a
very hurtful time.
However, we have held our heads up high and go on with our lives. After more
than 15 years devoted to chess in Michigan, and some contributions to USCF
which have endured I left with some satisfaction.. For example, I initiated
the president's reception for Delegates at the annual meeting, I started the
state publication display and contest with was a precursor of the Cramer
awards, I began the "Bits and Pieces" notes in the rating supplements and I
initiated the workshops at the annual meetings. I played probably 200+
tournament games.

I have played only two tournaments since leaving the USCF in 1979. None since
1982. My heart isn't in it anymore.

My agenda was merely to try to do something good and decent for chess. I was
not/am not a politician. I have attended two Delegate's meetings, Minneapolis
and Boston merely to see old friends.

Since 1979 I am NOT in favor of EB members working at the USCF office for AT
LEAST two years after his/her term is over.

So, Sam, that's who I am....an old broad with a recent heart bypass, a great
grandchild on the way and happy as hell in Colorado.

Doris Thackrey

Sam Sloan

Dec 12, 2004, 10:35:31 PM12/12/04

Thank you very much for providing this important information about
USCF history.

What I know or have heard is this: Sperling was elected USCF President
in 1978. Within a few days after he took office,he laid down a hard
line with the office staff with the result that almost the entire
staff walked out, led by Executive Director Martin Morrison.

Apparently, they believed that they would be asked to return to their
jobs. They were not asked. Instead, George Cunningham was invited to
come in and take over as Acting Executive Director.

None of these people are well regarded by chess history. Cunningham
introduced hyper-inflation into the rating system and everybody's
rating went up by 100 points or more. Sperling is considerd to be one
of the worst USCF presidents ever. Morrison is considered to be the
worst Executive Director ever, at least until George DeFeis came
along.

Actually, this entire era is considered to be in the Dark Ages of
Chess History because little is known about what happened during this
period. We would be very happy if you would tell us what really
happened.

Sam Sloan

Miriling

Dec 12, 2004, 10:39:31 PM12/12/04
>Subject: Re: Too much Harsh Criticism

>On 12 December 2004 wund...@aol.com (Wundrful1) wrote in

>Doris Thackrey was one of the hardest working persons who ever served on a
USCF Policy Board and was employed in the USCF office. She is sorely missed by
those, including myself, who knew of her innovative ideas and great
accomplishments within the federation. She is one of a kind.

George Mirijanian

Parrthenon

Dec 13, 2004, 12:08:18 AM12/13/04
TEMPORARY?

"Since 1979 I am NOT in favor of EB members working at the USCF office for AT

LEAST two years after his/her term is over." -- Doris Thackrey

"Yes, it will be a defined period of time. Yes, it will be temporary. Yes,
it will be to effectuate the move. No, it will not be as Executive Director.
Parr, is that clear enough for you, or should I put on the caps lock and type

slower?" -- Randy Bauer

Randy Bauer has begun to type in caps, and he is overpunctuating with
delightful abandon. Historically, when USCF politicians begin using their
household hammer to type, they are feeling sorry for themselves like the
blubbering psychotic killer played by William Bendix in, if memory serves, "The
Glass Key."

However, I prefer to think that Mr. Bauer is in a sustained fit of
righteous indignation, which is not necessarily an unworthy emotion if said
indignation is meted out fairly. (Otherwise it becomes canting sanctimony.)
He appears to be saying that Beatriz Marinello will take over moving the
Federation and stay on this job six months. Whereupon, she will NOT apply for
any further post at the Federation and leave its employ. Hence she will not be
Executive Director.

We await Mr. Bauer's all-capped response confirming that Mrs. Marinello
will NOT be applying for the post of executive director six months hence and
will be leaving paid Federation employ at that time.

He tells us, in effect, that Beatriz will apparently be resigning from
the presidency (against her clearly written promise to serve out her term) and
to take a paid position in the USCF office.

This positon will "be [for] a defined period of time," "will be
temporary," "will be to effectuate the move," and "will not be as Executive
Director."

My understanding then is that she will hold the positon of temporary or
assistant executive director.

Will Beatriz then be eligible to step in as permanent ED because of her
"fine performance" in helping the federation make its move? If so, we have a
resignation from the Board leading directly to a major permanent job at the
federation.

Of all the people who ought to oppose this resignation from the Board,
it is Beatriz herself who could not have been more clear that such would not be
done by her. As for Mr. Bauer, his outrage continues to be remarkably
selective.

We also wonder why Mr. Bauer cannot tell us whether Leroy Dubeck or someone
else sent a memorandum to the Executive Board warning about a possible cash
crunch during the originally scheduled moving period.

Finally, the issues of Beatriz Marinello's status in America and her name.
To my mind, they are not "issues." There is a single thing that the
Immigration types should be doing: stop illegal Mexicans from crossing the
border. Period. If Mrs. Marinello made her way up here illegally, I say leave
her and hers alone. I hate this government snooping, and I really don't care
what her name happens to be. If someone is up here working in the private
sector and not milking moolah from taxpayers, they are doing more for America
than any government employee I know.

-- Larry Parr

Tom Klem

Dec 13, 2004, 2:53:22 AM12/13/04
Larry,

Bellieve me, as an expert on these matters and having posted the truth years
ago, USCL _never_ employed spyware. This pettifoggery is simply another of
Sam Sloan's many deliberate lies. You can look for yourself on google. I
posted my router logs years ago. There is no disputing the facts.

The problem with claiming that Sam "has his uses" (as some are wont to do
here), is the overall impression which he gives people once they discover
his self aggrandizing game, and self promotional style. Combine those two
with the whoppers he has told over the years, and you might as well ask the
tooth fairy what's going on. At least with the tooth fairy, you get a
quarter.

Perhaps if he does pick up a $100,000.00 paycheck from the USCF, he'll be
able to clean up, scrub up, reflect a little on the legacy of deceit which
he has left in the Chess world, and try to do right in the future.

People who know him out here in Vegas from "the day" call him slobbering sam
with good reason, in my opinion.

--
Tom Klem

Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
As I foretold you, were all spirits and
Are melted into air, into thin air:
And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
Ye all which it inherit, shall dissolve
And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
---William Shakespeare, The Tempest, Act 4, Scene 1

> I don't know whether Sam is right about what everyone knows about
spyware
> and how Wickster voted. I do know that he would have been right to say
that
> the USCF ethics committee is the most unethical group of gents in chess,
> outside of FIDE.
>
> This is the group that deliberates secretly and deflects
responsibility
> for some of the most outrageously immoral decisions ever rendered. The
> condemnation of Tom Dorsch comes to mind.
>
> As for spyware, did the Federation finally admit that such was in
the
> site?

Paul Rubin

Dec 13, 2004, 3:33:53 AM12/13/04
"Tom Klem" <the...@wizville.es> writes:
> Bellieve me, as an expert on these matters and having posted the truth years
> ago, USCL _never_ employed spyware.

As I remember, the USCL client had the notorious Radiate/Aureate
spyware in it. It's absolutely irrelevant that USCL itself wasn't the
party directly spying on USCL users. It instead took money from the
spyware company to permit the spyware company to spy on USCL users.
So instead of employing spyware, it was employed -by- a spyware
company. From the point of view of the user whose privacy is being
violated, there's no difference.

Parrthenon

Dec 13, 2004, 8:10:20 AM12/13/04
SPYWARE

< Wick Deer was put on the Ethics Committee by Jim Eade, who is one of the most
unethical people in all of chess. By your answers, you are just a political
hack trying to protect yourself, Eade and Redman. Everybody now knows that my
statements about which the ethics complaint was filed by Redman were true and
accurate. > -- Sam Sloan

<As I remember, the USCL client had the notorious Radiate/Aureate spyware in
it. It's absolutely irrelevant that USCL itself wasn't the party directly
spying on USCL users. It instead took money from the spyware company to permit
the spyware company to spy on USCL users. So instead of employing spyware, it
was employed -by- a spyware
company. From the point of view of the user whose privacy is being violated,

there's no difference.> -- Paul Rubin

Paul Rubin has said something very specific about spyware. He says
that the USCL client had Radiate/Aureate spyware in it, taking money from that
company in return for letting the company collect info on USCF users.

Is anyone disputing his assertion? Does anyone else familiar with this
issue agree with Mr. Rubin?

Is MYRON LIEBERMAN there? What do you have to say, Myron?

Did Sam Sloan perform a signal service to USCF members by exposing spyware,
or did he viciously malign an honest company, thereby injuring it?

For once, let us try to follow a point to its end.

Sam Sloan

Dec 13, 2004, 8:52:40 AM12/13/04
On 13 Dec 2004 13:10:20 GMT, parrt...@cs.com (Parrthenon) wrote:

>SPYWARE
>
>< Wick Deer was put on the Ethics Committee by Jim Eade, who is one of the most
>unethical people in all of chess. By your answers, you are just a political
>hack trying to protect yourself, Eade and Redman. Everybody now knows that my
>statements about which the ethics complaint was filed by Redman were true and
>accurate. > -- Sam Sloan
>
><As I remember, the USCL client had the notorious Radiate/Aureate spyware in
>it. It's absolutely irrelevant that USCL itself wasn't the party directly
>spying on USCL users. It instead took money from the spyware company to permit
>the spyware company to spy on USCL users. So instead of employing spyware, it
>was employed -by- a spyware
>company. From the point of view of the user whose privacy is being violated,
>there's no difference.> -- Paul Rubin
>
> Paul Rubin has said something very specific about spyware. He says
>that the USCL client had Radiate/Aureate spyware in it, taking money from that
>company in return for letting the company collect info on USCF users.
>
> Is anyone disputing his assertion? Does anyone else familiar with this
>issue agree with Mr. Rubin?
>
> Is MYRON LIEBERMAN there? What do you have to say, Myron?
>
> Did Sam Sloan perform a signal service to USCF members by exposing spyware,
>or did he viciously malign an honest company, thereby injuring it?
>
> For once, let us try to follow a point to its end.

Paul Rubin is a genuine computer expert, who makes his living writing
machine language code.

I disagree with him on many subjects, but when it comes to computer
code, his word is gospel.

Sam Sloan

Parrthenon

Dec 13, 2004, 10:15:18 AM12/13/04
SPYWARE

Sam Sloan, an interested party to this dispute, says that Paul Rubin knows
about computer programming. Myself, I can't say.

Once again, could Myron Lieberman speak up and a few others.

Let's try to nail this point down irrefutably, one way or the other. Was
there Spyware in the USCL client?

Is Sam to be praised, either moderately or heavily; or is he to be
condemned in the same way?

How odd it would be if the USCF Ethics Committee pursued a vendetta
against Sam for SERVING THE INTERESTS OF USCF MEMBERS.

Still, we don't know yet whether Sam spoke the truth. We have testimony
from Paul Rubin, alleged to be knowledgeable.

Is someone here who is an expert on the issue disputing his point?

This moment is key. If someone disagrees with Mr. Rubin, he must speak up
now.

John A Swartz

Dec 13, 2004, 10:56:50 AM12/13/04

> Sam: accept the fact that there are several of us who expect you to
> act better than a Randy Bauer or a Stan Booz.

Sam's got his work cut out for him...

Mike Murray

Dec 13, 2004, 11:08:59 AM12/13/04
On 13 Dec 2004 15:15:18 GMT, parrt...@cs.com (Parrthenon) wrote:

>SPYWARE

> Sam Sloan, an interested party to this dispute, says that Paul Rubin knows
>about computer programming. Myself, I can't say.

> Once again, could Myron Lieberman speak up and a few others.

> Let's try to nail this point down irrefutably, one way or the other. Was
>there Spyware in the USCL client?

> Is Sam to be praised, either moderately or heavily; or is he to be
>condemned in the same way?

> How odd it would be if the USCF Ethics Committee pursued a vendetta
>against Sam for SERVING THE INTERESTS OF USCF MEMBERS.

> Still, we don't know yet whether Sam spoke the truth. We have testimony
>from Paul Rubin, alleged to be knowledgeable.

> Is someone here who is an expert on the issue disputing his point?

> This moment is key. If someone disagrees with Mr. Rubin, he must speak up
>now.

It's clear from the USCF response that spyware was utilized. What
they disputed was the maliciousness of said spyware. They basically
said "our site is no worse than most others".

Randy Bauer

Dec 13, 2004, 12:06:33 PM12/13/04
In article <1102955754....@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, Rob Mitchell
says...

>Randy,
>Let me know when you are coming down again and I will show you around
>and introduce you to some Tennessee politicos. Hope you like barbeque.
>Rob

I will take you up on that offer, Rob. I spend a fair amount of time in Kansas
City, which prides itself on its barbeque, so I'll feel right at home.

I enjoyed my last visit to Tennessee, particularly Knoxville, which is a city of
about the same size as Des Moines. One of the nation's top experts on state tax
systems, William Fox, is a professor at the University of Tennessee at
Knoxville. Next time I'm there, I'll have to drop in on him and say hi. He
probably likes barbeque too.

Randy Bauer

Rob Mitchell

Dec 13, 2004, 11:35:54 AM12/13/04

Wickdeer3

Dec 13, 2004, 2:43:36 PM12/13/04
Richard Peterson wrote:

>Secrecy in a non-profit, does not belong. It is the slippery slope.

If secrecy is such a bad thing, I expect you will be posting a detailed
accounting of the disposition of the disputed CalChess funds, along with an
identification of the trustees, and all other pertinent information.

I'm not holding my breath.

Wick Deer

Rob Mitchell

Dec 13, 2004, 4:23:13 PM12/13/04
Organizations exist for the benefit of their members, not their
employees. Accordingly there may come a time when a hard decision has
to be made in order for an organization to continue to fufill it's
primary goal. Tough choices are viewed in a very unpopular manner. The
"change agent" is not a popular person to be in situations such as
these. The EB should be in a position to see what is on the horizon
better the the masses" below deck". From their "crow's nest" location
they were charged by the members to inform and guide the organization.
Until you have been in such a position it would be imprudent to attempt
to comment on what they saw.

I have no knowledge of the legal precidents which may or may not have
had to be met under NY law. Legal council should have been employed to
make certain all legalities had been met. If the attorney made an
error, then they may be held accountable financially for damages.
Rob

Paul Rubin

Dec 13, 2004, 4:34:25 PM12/13/04
parrt...@cs.com (Parrthenon) writes:
> Paul Rubin has said something very specific about spyware.
> He says that the USCL client had Radiate/Aureate spyware in it,
> taking money from that company in return for letting the company
> collect info on USCF users.

I actually don't know for a fact that USCF stupidly distributed
Radiate/Aureate in exchange for getting money. That is just an
educated guess, based on how spyware/adware companies operate. But
it's possible that the USCF was even stupider, and distributed
Radiate/Aureate -without- getting money. Heck, maybe it distributed
the spyware and paid for the privilege of doing so.

It is loading more messages.