Niro's Back !!!

1 view

Sam Sloan

Aug 28, 2003, 9:53:30 PM8/28/03
I just received a report that Frank Niro is back in the USCF office in
New Windsor and apparently wants his job back.

What does anybody think about this?

Sam Sloan

Chris

Aug 28, 2003, 10:01:36 PM8/28/03
Is Peter Leko still dead?

"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message

EZoto

Aug 28, 2003, 10:08:55 PM8/28/03

>Is Peter Leko still dead?

OH MY GOSH!!!! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!? WHO PLAYS KRAMNIK NOW?

EZoto

ASCACHESS

Aug 28, 2003, 10:15:45 PM8/28/03
>I just received a report that Frank Niro is back in the USCF office in
>New Windsor and apparently wants his job back.

You lie like a dog.

My apologies to dog lovers.

StanB

Aug 28, 2003, 11:19:26 PM8/28/03

"Sam Sloan" <sl...@ishipress.com> wrote in message

> I just received a report that Frank Niro is back in the USCF office in

> New Windsor and apparently wants his job back.

He is not back "in", he is back to pick up his check and whatever other
goodies the board will bestow on him.

> What does anybody think about this?

The usual. At least you didn't announce that he is dead.

StanB

Kevin L. Bachler

Aug 28, 2003, 10:50:09 PM8/28/03
In article <39474a0aa95f0e06...@news.teranews.com>, EZoto says...

>>Is Peter Leko still dead?
>>
>OH MY GOSH!!!! WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!? WHO PLAYS KRAMNIK NOW?
>
>EZoto

It happened only when Sam reported it.

Kevin L. Bachler

James B. Shearer

Aug 29, 2003, 3:00:47 AM8/29/03
sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan) wrote in message news:<3f4eb185....@ca.news.verio.net>...

> I just received a report that Frank Niro is back in the USCF office in
> New Windsor and apparently wants his job back.
>
> What does anybody think about this?

As long as we are beating dead horses, we were led to believe
that Niro was working for nothing when he was interim ED. Was he in
fact not paid for his time as interim ED?
James B. Shearer

Spam Scone

Aug 29, 2003, 5:50:52 AM8/29/03
sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan) wrote in message news:<3f4eb185....@ca.news.verio.net>...

I see your degree of accuracy hasn't suffered since USCF stopped using
you as their mouthpiece.

Why don't you get a real job to support your wife and child rather
than scrape along off the proceeds of eBay auctions?

Bruce Draney

Aug 29, 2003, 10:14:19 AM8/29/03

Why start now when he's in his 50's? He's almost to retirement.

Best Regards,

Bruce

AlforChess

Aug 29, 2003, 10:50:22 AM8/29/03
>I just received a report that Frank Niro is back in the USCF office in
>New Windsor and apparently wants his job back.
>
>What does anybody think about this?

I think that you are again repeating falsehoods. (Or simply making them up
fresh.) Frank was indeed back to visit Grant, but he does not want his job
back.

He is very ill. And he wanted to make it clear to Grant that he will help as a
volunteer as much as his health permits.

Al

Bruce Draney

Aug 29, 2003, 10:59:15 AM8/29/03

Frank should NEVER have taken the ED's job. His health, life and
family are far too important to risk on a job that was nearly impossible
and highly stressful.

Even though Frank probably won't believe it coming from me, I wish him
the best and hope he rests, recovers and forgets about USCF. There is
plenty of blame to go around for the state of USCF currently and Frank
should not be blamed for all of the problems anymore than any of the
past leaders have on either side of the political spectrum.

Best Regards,

Bruce

StanB

Aug 29, 2003, 2:58:00 PM8/29/03

"James B. Shearer" <j...@watson.ibm.com> wrote in message

> As long as we are beating dead horses, we were led to believe
> that Niro was working for nothing when he was interim ED. Was he in
> fact not paid for his time as interim ED?

Famous saying--You think it's expensive now, wait till it's free.

Now only the board and committee folks are working for free. Oops, I forgot
Paul Proung. He's working for free. If you don't believe me ask him how much
the USCF has paid him or owes him for expenses and appearances for him and
Susan Polgar (his client) and any other entities that he(she) are involved
with. In fact ask him what we paid the GM volunteer of the year for her
volunteer work.

StanB

Doctor SBD

Aug 29, 2003, 4:59:59 PM8/29/03
>In fact ask him what we paid the GM volunteer of the year for her
>volunteer work.
>
>StanB

Stan, could you please repread that and tell me if that is what you meant? I
believe in people getting paid, but since when do we pay volunteers?

SBD

Mike Nolan

Aug 29, 2003, 7:29:57 PM8/29/03
j...@watson.ibm.com (James B. Shearer) writes:

> As long as we are beating dead horses, we were led to believe
>that Niro was working for nothing when he was interim ED. Was he in
>fact not paid for his time as interim ED?

Frank was not on the USCF payroll until July of 2002, but I think he
was named the interim ED in March of 2002 and the word 'interim' was
removed when he was placed on the payroll.
--
Mike Nolan

StanB

Aug 29, 2003, 9:43:22 PM8/29/03

"Doctor SBD" <doct...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >In fact ask him what we paid the GM volunteer of the year for her
> >volunteer work.
> >

> Stan, could you please repread that and tell me if that is what you meant?

> believe in people getting paid, but since when do we pay volunteers?

These are vicious rumors that bad people are spreading. You watch, Paul will
put these rumors to rest once and for all.

StanB

Paul Truong

Aug 29, 2003, 11:20:30 PM8/29/03
Dear Stan:

Thank you for bringing up this point. USCF does not pay me any cash
for my appearances. US Chess Trust also does not pay me any cash for
my appearances to help do fundraising for them. In fact, I have
fronted a lot of my own money for a number USCF activities including
the Women's Olympiad Program. Since January 2003, I have spent about
$100,000 of my own time and money for various activities to help US
Chess. I have also donated a lot of work for USCF for Chess Life
without charge. In some events, USCF paid for my airfare and hotel
and in some other events, I paid myself.

GM Ashley charges $5,000 per event plus expenses. He also does some
free events locally. World Champion Kasparov charges as much as
$30,000+ per event plus expenses for himself and his manager. GM
Polgar has done many activities for USCF and US Chess Trust for free.
In other events, USCF paid her a minimal amount, barely enough to
cover her costs for babysitting for her 2 toddlers. In most cases,
she lost money doing events for USCF but she does not mind. If her 2
children and her babysitter travel with her, she pays for their
airline tickets. USCF usually pays her about 10% of what she normally
commands with her events. In addition, she does not do just one event
when she goes to a tournament. Sometimes, she did up to 5-7 events
for the price of one from early morning till late at night, at about
10% of her normal fees for 1 event. I am sure you can do the math of
how little she gets. She pays for her own airline ticket and USCF is
supposed to reimburse her. A lot of the money USCF owes her is for
her books. USCF is still way behind in contributor's fees, events and
reimbursements. No World Champion would EVER do this.

We have both offered to defer this money to help USCF get through this
financial crisis. Why do we both agree to lose money or front our own
money to help USCF? Because we care about US chess and USCF. Susan
is not a wealthy person. But she is very generous with her support to
US Chess. She agreed to give $6,500 each year to organize the Susan
Polgar National Invitational for Girls at the same time with the
Denker Tournament of Champions. Susan is in the process of doing a
chess book for the US Chess Trust to sell to raise a lot of money for
them. I normally would never talk about this and she does not like to
talk about it either. But since the subject was brought up, I do not
want anyone to start spreading nonsense instead of pure facts.

Best Regards,
Paul

Spam Scone

Aug 30, 2003, 5:19:53 AM8/30/03
Pault...@aol.com (Paul Truong) wrote in message news:<6728c0a.03082...@posting.google.com>...

GM
> Polgar has done many activities for USCF and US Chess Trust for free.

Please explain your role in the Cramer Committee, a group you recently
joined. This Cramer Committee recently awarded a chess column you
co-write with GM Polgar the "Chess Column of the Year" award.

Paul Truong

Aug 30, 2003, 11:05:15 AM8/30/03
There is not much to explain. I was asked to join and I did. I had
no vote for this award. Others voted for it unanimously. The fact
that we are receiving 1,000+ requests a month for opening choices may
have something to do with it? USCF told me that they received more
positive comments about this column than all others combine. The
format to allow people to vote for what they want is innovative. It
is easy to understand and people love it. And for your info, we also
won many other journalism awards from the CJA in which I know very few
people there. Some have never even met me or know anything about me.
I guess people like what they read and we will work even harder to
continue to provide the readers the best stuff. We take what we do
very seriously. Paul

Doctor SBD

Aug 30, 2003, 11:18:10 AM8/30/03
1,000 requests per month?

Like many others here, I am growing suspicious of your hyperbole. I just find
1,000 requests per month to have to be a severe exaggeration.

SBD

StanB

Aug 30, 2003, 11:38:04 AM8/30/03

"Doctor SBD" <doct...@aol.com> wrote in message

Paul is a marketing guy. Someone once told me that to understand the
marketing guys you have to divide everything by six.

StanB

Doctor SBD

Aug 30, 2003, 4:42:04 PM8/30/03
Thanks Stan. 100 or so a month, maybe. But 1,000? I don't know if even that
many people read Chess Life, or especially Polgar's column that closely... it
is new, and hard to believe it would have that readership so soon.

SBD

John Fernandez

Aug 30, 2003, 10:04:22 PM8/30/03
>Subject: Re: Niro's Back !!!
>From: doct...@aol.com (Doctor SBD)
>Date: 8/30/2003 4:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time

Readership is what, 50,000? So that's 12,000 requests a year? Not happening, I
suspect. Unless each person is sending in 10 requests or so.

John Fernandez

Paul Truong

Aug 30, 2003, 10:14:56 PM8/30/03
This info was never made public nor I care to do so. Someone asked.
I answered. End of story. No more, no less. And for your info, a
lot of members from various Internet chess playing sites also send in
requests for the opening of the month. When I started to help US
Chess earlier this year, people told me my plans will not work. They
said the same about the Women's Olympiad Program and Women's Chess.
Now, after only about 5 months, we have the 2nd strongest team in the
world at this moment. We even got Garry Kasparov to come to NJ to
train our players for free. We will begin the 2004 Susan Polgar
National Invitational for Girls in Fort Lauderdale, fully funded by
the Susan Polgar Foundation. We will also have the US Junior Open for
girls in 2004, sponsored and funded by the KC Foundation. There will
be a chain of announcements in the near future about more events and
programs that will help USCF and US Chess. This was done prior to me
going to LA. And when I negotiated with a major book publishing
company about a chess book deal, everyone told me that GMs get peanuts
in advance. The deal we walked out with was 4-5 times higher than
what most others get. If you create something good, people will buy.
And if you have a great idea, it will work. That is Marketing 101.
If we sit, debate and do nothing, we will get no progress. Sorry, I
am not the debate type. I make things happen.

Best Regards,
Paul

Doctor SBD

Aug 31, 2003, 6:09:32 AM8/31/03
Thanks,John. Mr. Truong's hyperbole is bothering me just a bit especially if he
is going to be doing marketing for USCF. I have seen too many "marketing" types
destroy enterprises through their ridiculous hyperbole. Which ones? Like Paul
Truong, I am not making that information public. :)

SBD

Paul Truong

Aug 31, 2003, 9:08:47 AM8/31/03
Dear John:

We reset the count each month. Therefore, many of the same readers
voted again each month. I do not keep count of how many different
people have voted. I do not know the total number of people voted. I
just know what is coming to our e-mail boxes. And I do see a lot of
the same e-mail address. It could be the same 1,000+. Or it could be
1,500, 2,000 or 3,000. I have no way of telling and I do not have the
time to figure it out. However, I highly doubt that the 1,000+ each
month are all different people. I am also sure that the count for the
specific opening of the month is a little off each month. It is hard
to add that many each month. But in general, the opening with the
most requests gets in.

Best Regards,
Paul

Parrthenon

Aug 31, 2003, 11:13:35 AM8/31/03
SEEN TO BE ABOVE BOARD

By Larry Parr

The Historian was right to ask the question that he did of Paul
Truong, whose answer is likely accurate enough. He probably deserved the
Cramer award.

Having said that, the reason The Historian was right to ask the
question is that not only must everything be above board, everything also must
be seen to be above board.

My advice to Paul Truong: You just burned a few candles worth of
political capital with your answer. Not much, but watch out for appearances in
the future. They take their toll on one's credibility over the years.

>Please explain your role in the Cramer Committee, a group you recently
joined. This Cramer Committee recently awarded a chess column you co-write with
GM Polgar the "Chess Column of the Year" award.> -- tartak...@hotmail.com
(Spam Scone)

<There is not much to explain. I was asked to join and I did. I had no vote
for this award. Others voted for it unanimously. The fact that we are
receiving 1,000+ requests a month for opening choices may have something to do
with it? USCF told me that they received more positive comments about this
column than all others combine. The format to allow people to vote for what
they want is innovative. It is easy to understand and people love it. And for
your info, we also won many other journalism awards from the CJA in which I
know very few people there. Some have never even met me or know anything about
me. I guess people like what they read and we will work even harder to
continue to provide the readers the best stuff. We take what we do very

seriously. > PaulT...@aol.com

Paul Truong

Aug 31, 2003, 11:32:18 AM8/31/03
If there were enough of proper Marketing in the past years, USCF would
not be in this situation now. What bothers me is some people do not
do anything to help except criticize everything other people do.

The name USCF is very valuable and can generate millions of dollars.
Yes, you heard it correctly, millions. But will that ever happen?
Only if and when the chess politicians stop being politicians and do
what is right without personal and political agenda. That sounds like
an oxymoron, doesn't it?

Anyone who has a clue in Marketing can sell the USCF name. They would
not be selling the name only to the players/companies within the
federation. That is only about 100,000 people and is worth very
little. But to sell the name and proper image to the mainstream
public is priceless. This is not the time or place for me to discuss
that. I am doing chess branding right now on my own and within the
next 12-18 months, we will see if I should be put in the mental ward
or not. But I will more than happy to show the federation or even do
it for the federation if I am asked.

When people laughed at the idea of ICC, now they are making very
serious money. When people thought no US Company can survive or
compete against USCF B&E, now look at Hanon, HOS, Malcolm, Dewain,
Excalibur, and many others. USCF is like the USPS. But companies
like FedEx, UPS, Airborne Express, and Internet e-mail, etc. are
causing the USPS big problems.

It is time to make drastic changes to give USCF new 21st century looks
if USCF wants to survive. Only time can tell if the current EB can do
the job or not. I am not interested to be their judge. But since I
am not involved with the decision making, the only thing I can do is
have faith in them until they prove otherwise.

Best Regards,
Paul

doct...@aol.com (Doctor SBD) wrote in message news:<20030831060932...@mb-m10.aol.com>...

I have seen too many "marketing" types
> destroy enterprises through their ridiculous hyperbole. >

> SBD

Bruce Draney

Aug 31, 2003, 12:19:07 PM8/31/03
Paul,

You should not expect much in the way of positive vibes from this
newsgroup. This newsgroup is a political discussion forum where
controversial and provocative topics are often raised to generate
interest and discussion. The topics tend to have a life and purpose of
their own and are often diametrically opposed to those who wish to make
USCF successful.

If you want to "market" chess here, you're probably going to get flamed
for either exaggerating or lying about what's going on. RGCP is much
like the song of the siren. It is intriguing and even irresistable, yet
dangerous and possibly fatal for those who expect to control it or spin
it into what they want it be or to say. Those who claim to despise this
forum don't unsubscribe to it and actually read nearly every word spoken
here to find out how much outsiders know and how much insiders are
telling them. The interest in RGCP has even trickled down to the staff
members at USCF and their families and friends who keep the office staff
posted on what's being said here as well. Even old fogies who don't
post to the internet, e-mail one another about what's being discussed on
RGCP.

The very things that make it intriguing and interesting are also the
things that make it extremely annoying to those who wish to bring order
and stability to USCF. This group tends to be filled with rabble
rousers, troublemakers and people who are annoyed or upset with the way
things have been done in the past. When someone new comes in to USCF
with ideas, these people immediately assume that their motives are
suspect and that if they are anything like past USCF leaders, they will
manipulate, spin and lie to make it seem like their ideas are working.
Since marketing to a large extent is attempting to put a positive spin
on things, your attempts to spin things, just causes a further cynical
reaction among most of the posters here, who have about the same degree
of faith in what you are saying as they do in a used car salesman.

Because so many diverse points of view post or respond to things talked
about on this forum, it tends to create chaos out of order, rather than
the other way around. This can be both good and bad. It tends to be so
shockingly frank, that BS is laughed off the channel. Since it is
archived, politicians if they're wise tend to avoid it, because their
words can be recalled and quoted verbatim, proving that they lied or
misspoke.

I sometimes wonder what USCF would be like right now, were it not for
this newsgroup? Depending upon whom you speak with, this newsgroup is
both the salvation and the destruction of USCF. Some feel without the
revelations made on this newsgroup that secrecy and inside political
machinations would have caused the organization to fold years ago.

Some however feel the newsgroup is highly destructive to restoring
order and repairing mistakes, because those mistakes are severely
recounted here by the people who resent those who made them.

Don Schultz once opined that this newsgroup was so destructive as to
cause sponsors to withdraw offers to help USCF. Of course one might
also say that without this newsgroup we probably would never have gotten
the kind of financial disclosure that we have now. USCF has had trouble
adjusting to the major changes of the last decade, and its inability to
figure out how to adjust to them.

If USCF can ever get its house in order, RGCP, could become a very
useful tool in debating and discussing ways to make chess better in this
country. Unfortunately, as USCF continues to cling to its failed
traditional ways, RGCP just becomes a greater and greater annoyance as
the miserable performances, glaring errors, and political chicanery make
the organization look inept at best or corrupt at worst.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Paul Truong

Aug 31, 2003, 5:40:21 PM8/31/03
Dear Bruce:

Well said and thank you for the info. I am a newbie as you can see :)
I have been in the real world too long :)

Best Regards,
Paul

Parrthenon

Aug 31, 2003, 11:24:04 PM8/31/03
RGCP-HOLICS

By Larry Parr

Dear Paul Truong,

One might take issue with Bruce Draney's description of rgcp
contributors as rabblerousers. I have always felt we are the rabble. Small
point. One hopes Mr. Draney will let the matter go rather than begin a
200-posting thread on the subject. Still, if he wishes, I'm game.

Now, then, Mr. Draney describes rgcp as addictive. Indeed, it is.

One sign of addiction is that people lie about reading the messages
here. Like alcoholics who deny their problem -- you get the idea. Two former
members of the Board and several other leaders have said that they never catch
what is written in these precincts.

These people are liars, Paul. I know the nom de plume of one former
Board member who hangs around this precinct and passes messages to two friends,
who are also former board members. All of these people have said publicly that
they are above us creatures from the black Federation lagoon.

I'd out the names right now except my source would likely also be
outed.

Oh, well, none of this is news to the rabble herein.

I agree with Mr. Draney that you won't get far trying to spin anything
here. We deny our mothers on this forum, always assuming that we know the
identity of our mothers.

We are the rabble of London slums in 1810, not knowing our provenance.

Bob Bennett

Sep 1, 2003, 9:31:11 AM9/1/03
I fully agree with you Paul. Even though my membership expired a long
time ago, your talks are convincing me to rejoin.

Bob Bennett

Tim Hanke

Sep 1, 2003, 11:45:48 AM9/1/03
"Bob Bennett" <bobbe...@japan.com> wrote in message

> I fully agree with you Paul. Even though my membership expired a long
> time ago, your talks are convincing me to rejoin.
>
> Bob Bennett

Paul Truong's echo, "Bob Bennett," is back.

A great deal of technical evidence has already been gathered, suggesting who
"Bob Bennett" really is.

A close reading of the "Bob Bennett" posts also suggests that "Bob Bennett"
is not a native English-speaker, for the following textual reasons:

--BB's relatively simple vocabulary.
--BB's relatively simple syntax.
--BB's occasional grammatical errors, which read not like typos but like a
non-native speaker trying to write English.
--BB's subtle but frequent deviations from correct idiomatic constructions.
For example, in the BB post above, the word "talks" is not idiomatic English
usage, though it is close enough that we understand what is meant.
Similarly, in other posts BB has more than once referred to himself as a
"red-necked American," but in a context that clearly suggests he means to
say "red-BLOODED American." It's obvious BB is not a native American, or
even a native English-speaker, though he tries hard to sound like one.

Sometimes I feel that trying to deal with chess people is like living in a
hall of mirrors, where everyone has multiple personalities and hidden
motives.

Tim Hanke

Paul Truong

Sep 1, 2003, 8:06:49 PM9/1/03
Dear Tim:

As I CLEARLY stated before, I do not know who this person is but both
John Fernandez and I have an idea who he "may" be. I also do not want
to know. I do not like people who talk like that and I will never use
such language. I hope this will end this speculation once in for all,
especially with you, an EB member and VP of Finance for USCF. I can
show you many clues that point him to another very frequent poster
here. But why bother wasting time to speculate? You have a tough
enough job fixing USCF. I hope you would concentrate on that rather
than playing detective. The future of nearly 100,000 members is in
your hands.

Best Regards,
Paul

Tim Hanke

Sep 1, 2003, 8:17:19 PM9/1/03
Paul,

You are right, I should not waste time with this.

Tim Hanke

"Paul Truong" <Pault...@aol.com> wrote in message

Doctor SBD

Sep 1, 2003, 9:00:25 PM9/1/03
No, Tim, it is not your time to waste right now!

But the evidence is clear that Paul Troung has been, and is Bob Bennett - Bob
only comes only to tout a Polgar or Truong endeavor.

Hyperbole will kill the USCF. I predict Truong will come into USCF to get as
much as he can out of the organization monetarily (while fooling us with that
same "work for free" crap Niro pulled), and then cast us off for his nxt
project.

SBD

Paul Truong

Sep 1, 2003, 9:34:25 PM9/1/03
If you want to rejoin, fine. But I do not appreciate you using foul
language. Please also stop attacking people in vain.

Thanks.
Paul

Paul Truong

Sep 2, 2003, 9:48:34 AM9/2/03
You are amazing! You know nothing about me and you can make that
conclusion? For your information, when I was offered a paid position
with USCF in LA numerous times, I gave the EB 2 choices if I would
have taken the position: Either no pay to me or sign my checks over
to a nonprofit charity that I specify. And also for your information,
I have never asked for a paid position with USCF. 4 separate EB
members came to me and asked me to help. I have never taken a penny
for helping Susan Polgar, Judit Polgar, the Women's Olympiad Program,
Garry Kasparov or anyone else. Why would I want to go from where I am
to making peanuts for USCF? Money may be an issue to you but not to
me. If and when I help USCF, it is for the love of chess. I also
have no interest in running for any chess political position, ever.
This is why USCF is where they are at right now. People like you have
done a great job chasing away anyone who can and want to help.
Shocking!

Doctor SBD

Sep 2, 2003, 7:39:07 PM9/2/03
Let's see - you say "You know nothing about me and you can make that
conclusion" in reference to my comments about you... and then at the end of
your ridiculous speech, state
"People like you have done a great job chasing away anyone who can and want to
help"? You probably know less about me than I know about you, and yet you feel
quite comfortable in that proclamation?

Figure out this riddle Paul -

Glass houses and stones

Pot to kettle - black

If there was an rgcp award for circular logic, you would win hands down. You
even beat Kevin, whom I like personally, but have seen some of the most
contorted logic spring forth from his keyboard.

SBD

Bob Bennett

Sep 3, 2003, 2:13:37 PM9/3/03
You are a fake! I am the real Bob Bennett and I'm not rejoining USCF,
ever! No one can save USCF now! It's doomed! Tim, I love you, man!
You are my guy! Go after Camaratta and Niro! They are criminals!
Don't let them get away with it! While you are at it, fry Sloan too!

Bob Bennett

StanB

Sep 4, 2003, 1:59:32 PM9/4/03

"Bob Bennett" <bennet...@japan.com> wrote in message

> You are a fake! I am the real Bob Bennett and I'm not rejoining USCF,
> ever! No one can save USCF now! It's doomed! Tim, I love you, man!
> You are my guy! Go after Camaratta and Niro! They are criminals!
> Don't let them get away with it! While you are at it, fry Sloan too!

"The" USCF. An American would say "the USCF". It's doomed? A rare expression
for an American to use.

Sorry Charlie. Sunkist doesn't select just any fish.

StanB

Randy Bauer

Sep 4, 2003, 8:20:15 PM9/4/03
"StanB" <st...@snbco.com> wrote in message news:<84L5b.22913$EW1....@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net>...

Stan,

Good "catch!" Feel free to reel him in and toss him back.

Note also "You are my guy!" What self respecting American would say
that? More likely "you're the MAN!"

Randy Bauer

AlforChess

Sep 5, 2003, 5:24:48 PM9/5/03
>"The" USCF. An American would say "the USCF".

Naw. We'd say either. But the general diction of the message does seem a little
ESL.

Regards, al

AlforChess

Sep 5, 2003, 5:25:24 PM9/5/03
>Note also "You are my guy!" What self respecting American would say
>that? More likely "you're the MAN!"
>
>Randy Bauer

That's actually the good catch. Regards, al

Sam Sloan

Sep 5, 2003, 9:54:21 PM9/5/03
On 3 Sep 2003 11:13:37 -0700, bennet...@japan.com (Bob Bennett)
wrote:

> While you are at it, fry Sloan too!
>
>Bob Bennett

I wonder what it is that he has against Ken Sloan.

StanB

Sep 5, 2003, 10:23:47 PM9/5/03

> On 3 Sep 2003 11:13:37 -0700, bennet...@japan.com (Bob Bennett)
> wrote:
>
> > While you are at it, fry Sloan too!
>

> I wonder what it is that he has against Ken Sloan.

I wonder what a freedom fried Sloan would taste like?

StanB

Paul Truong

Sep 6, 2003, 4:35:57 AM9/6/03
Dear Mr. Parr:

Thank you for your advice. I am NOT a politician. I also have NO
interest to ever become one. I love chess and I wanted to help the
federation. I thought I could bring my business experience and my
enthusiasm to help out during this very difficult time for the US
Chess Federation.

Unfortunately, I now realize that one man cannot make a difference
against an army of chess politicians. It does not matter what is
one's credential and track record of success, without proper political
affiliation and support, brilliant ideas will just sit and collect
dust. A better idea may be to study the dummy's guide to surviving
chess politics. I sure got an F.

Rather than hanging around being useless, I have decided to go back to
promote chess on my own with the help of many my dearest friends. I
am also resigning from the Cramer committee so no one can ever
question the work of GM Polgar in the future years.

Honesty and integrity is what I stand for. Therefore, I don't belong
in this circle. Your advice is well taken. Thank you.

Best Regards,
Paul

Doctor SBD

Sep 6, 2003, 5:29:42 AM9/6/03
Oh course, maybe your ideas were not "brilliant" at all, which would provide an
alternate explanation for your "hanging around being useless."

As to overcoming politicians, every successful businessperson, academic, and
even politicians themselves learn this first. Else they could not become
successful in *any* endeavor. You find "politicians" in every endeavor of life.

I would say your decision is wise, go back to your "dearest friends" who
probably massage your ego regularly, something I am sure you miss.

SBD

Spam Scone

Sep 6, 2003, 10:04:23 PM9/6/03
Pault...@aol.com (Paul Truong) wrote in message news:<6728c0a.03090...@posting.google.com>...

(Snip Bob Bennet-like blather)

> am also resigning from the Cramer committee so no one can ever
> question the work of GM Polgar in the future years.

No one "questioned" the work of GM Polgar, you idiot. Instead, it was
merely noted that you suddenly developed an interest in the Cramer
Committee and shortly after joining ChessDon and his buddies on the
Cramer Committee GM Polgar won an award from this same group. And now
your resignation from the Committee tells us we were correct in
questioning your motives. I guess now is as good a time to resign as
any. After all, you got what you wanted from ChessDon.

> Honesty and integrity is what I stand for.

Honesty and integrity is what stands up and walks out when you walk
into the room.

Chessdon

Sep 7, 2003, 12:17:19 AM9/7/03
Paul Brennan said:

>No one "questioned" the work of GM Polgar, you idiot. Instead, it was
>merely noted that you suddenly developed an interest in the Cramer
>Committee and shortly after joining ChessDon and his buddies on the
>Cramer Committee GM Polgar won an award from this same group. And now
>your resignation from the Committee tells us we were correct in
>questioning your motives. I guess now is as good a time to resign as
>any. After all, you got what you wanted from ChessDon.
>
>> Honesty and integrity is what I stand for.
>
>Honesty and integrity is what stands up and walks out when you walk
>into the room.

Dear Neil Brennan: Truth is what stands up and walks out when you you walk into
the room. Here is the truth: Paul had absolutely NOTHING to do with Susan
getting the Cramer Award nor did he ask to join the Cramer Committee. I invited
him to join. He did NOT participate in the best column award. If you say
otherwise you are a liar. If you concede that you didn't know the facts when
you said Paul got what he wanted (the Cramer Award) then you are a despicable
louse.

I am ashamed that you are part of our chess community! But yes you are having
fun aren't you?

I hoped I've piqued your interest enough so that you turn your your venom and
penchant to insult to me; fire away, I couldn't care less.

Spam Scone

Sep 7, 2003, 5:02:11 AM9/7/03
ches...@aol.com (Chessdon) wrote in message news:<20030907001719...@mb-m24.aol.com>...

> Paul Brennan said:
> >
> >No one "questioned" the work of GM Polgar, you idiot. Instead, it was
> >merely noted that you suddenly developed an interest in the Cramer
> >Committee and shortly after joining ChessDon and his buddies on the
> >Cramer Committee GM Polgar won an award from this same group. And now
> >your resignation from the Committee tells us we were correct in
> >questioning your motives. I guess now is as good a time to resign as
> >any. After all, you got what you wanted from ChessDon.
> >
> >> Honesty and integrity is what I stand for.
> >
> >Honesty and integrity is what stands up and walks out when you walk
> >into the room.
>
> Dear Neil Brennan: Truth is what stands up and walks out when you you walk into
> the room.

This, coming from our graph expert, is priceless. Topped with the
usual wrong spelling of "Brennen".

Here is the truth: Paul had absolutely NOTHING to do with Susan
> getting the Cramer Award nor did he ask to join the Cramer Committee. I invited
> him to join.

Why does this not surprise me?

He did NOT participate in the best column award. If you say
> otherwise you are a liar.

Where did I say he participated in the best column award? Please
reread what I wrote.

If you concede that you didn't know the facts when
> you said Paul got what he wanted (the Cramer Award) then you are a despicable
> louse.
> I am ashamed that you are part of our chess community!

This, coming from a person who, as part of the Cramer Committee,
nominated Sam Sloan for Chess Journalist of the Year, is priceless.

But yes you are having
> fun aren't you?
> I hoped I've piqued your interest enough so that you turn your your venom and
> penchant to insult to me; fire away, I couldn't care less.

Of course, ChessDon, you don't care at all, which is why you responded
to my post.

Parrthenon

Sep 9, 2003, 1:02:43 AM9/9/03
ONCE AGAIN, WEAKMINDED

By Larry Parr

Even when The Historian gets something right, he gets it wrong. He
is like a condemned carpenter in an intellectual purgatory, forever trying to
hit the nail on the head and always just missing it or banging his thumb.

Take, for example, his reply below to Don Schultz.

The Historian argues that contrary to Don Schultz's claim that he
"couldn't care less" about The Historian's comments re Paul Truong or himself,
the fact that Mr. Schultz replied showed that he did care.

Okay, The Historian obviously made Mr. Schultz angry, and the latter
responded on behalf of another, Paul Truong. In that sense Mr. Schultz
obviously did care.

But take note everyone: The Historian still could not get the issue
quite right. He hit the nail sideways yet again, bending it rather than
driving it straight into the rhetorical beam. For, of course, we know Mr.
Schultz cared NOT because he made a response per se but because he made a
heated response.

Anyone reading the correspondence between this writer and The
Historian, who killfiled, unkillfiled, killfiled and unkillfiled me, knows that
one of us cared and continues to care a great deal. The poor man even spoke of
having his breakfast ruined by me on one occasion -- an important deprivation
for a gent such as he. I would submit that I am evidently the one who couldn't
care less, yet I do enjoy sending responses or butting into things, as in this
posting.

Everyone: look to the HEAT, not to the fact of response. Mr. Schultz
did care, but we know it because of the heat not because of the mere fact that
a response was made.

In short, The Historian got something right but for the wrong reason.
That old, old nailhead continues to elude the chap.

See my further comments below in multiple brackets.

Historian: No one "questioned" the work of GM Polgar, you idiot. Instead, it

was merely noted that you suddenly developed an interest in the Cramer
Committee and shortly after joining ChessDon and his buddies on the Cramer
Committee GM Polgar won an award from this same group. And now your resignation
from the Committee tells us we were correct in questioning your motives. I
guess now is as good a time to resign as any. After all, you got what you
wanted from ChessDon.

onesty and integrity is what I stand for.

Honesty and integrity is what stands up and walks out when you walk into the
room.

Schultz:: Truth is what stands up and walks out when you you walk into the
room.

Historian: This, coming from our graph expert, is priceless.

Schultz: Here is the truth: Paul had absolutely NOTHING to do with Susan

getting the Cramer Award nor did he ask to join the Cramer Committee. I invited
him to join.

He did NOT participate in the best column award. If you say

otherwise you are a liar.

Historian: Where did I say he participated in the best column award? Please
reread what I wrote.

Schultz: If you concede that you didn't know the facts when you said Paul got

what he wanted (the Cramer Award) then you are a despicable louse. I am ashamed
that you are part of our chess community!

Historian: This, coming from a person who, as part of the Cramer Committee,

nominated Sam Sloan for Chess Journalist of the Year, is priceless.

[[[[[The Historian has pined for years to win a CJA Award. We know that such
is the case because one year he felt it necessary to congratulate the winners
and claimed he was honored simply to have been nominated. If you could hear
someone choking back grief in an e-mail message (e-blubbering) it was The
Historian. He was wearing his ego on his e-sleeve. I giggled at his
lachrymose and quivering attempt at stiff-upper-lip congratulations. One felt
embarrassed for the man.

Having won over 20 of these awards, I would like to provide the assurance
that life goes on whether one wins or loses. Or, alternatively, life doesn't
go on whether one wins or loses.

Heh, heh, heh. Just had an idea for a naughty practical joke.

If The Historian eventually wins a CJA certificate one of these
decades, some wag ought to send him the certificate in the name of "The
Historian."

Nah, I retract the suggestion. That would be total wanton cruelty.

Concerning the nomination of Sam Sloan as chess journalist of the year,
I think it was merited. Mind you, I would not vote for Sam because he gets too
many "facts" wrong, but given his number of scoops, both in the loop and pure
poop, he deserves mention. On the other hand, The Historian posts no breaking
news because, after all, he claims to be a historian.]]]]]

Schultz: But yes you are having fun aren't you? I hoped I've piqued your

interest enough so that you turn your your venom and penchant to insult to me;
fire away, I couldn't care less.

Historian: Of course, ChessDon, you don't care at all, which is why you
responded to my post.

[[[[[As noted: contrary to the weakminded ironical asseveration above, it is
the heat rather than the fact of response which indicates whether one
cares.]]]]]

Duncan Oxley

Sep 9, 2003, 3:01:54 AM9/9/03
I like reading Neil's writings in the various chess mags.

I blocked his posts here. Nothing personal.

Spam Scone

Sep 9, 2003, 6:17:09 AM9/9/03
"Duncan Oxley" <marin...@redshift.com> wrote in message news:<vlqun3b...@corp.supernews.com>...

> I like reading Neil's writings in the various chess mags.

Thank you.

> I blocked his posts here. Nothing personal.

Your loss. Nothing personal.

Spam Scone

Sep 9, 2003, 6:21:46 AM9/9/03
parrt...@cs.com (Parrthenon) wrote in message news:<20030909010243...@mb-m13.news.cs.com>...

> Concerning the nomination of Sam Sloan as chess journalist of the year,
> I think it was merited. Mind you, I would not vote for Sam because he gets too
> many "facts" wrong, but given his number of scoops, both in the loop and pure
> poop, he deserves mention.

That sound you hear is the last bit of Parr's journalistic reputation
crumbling into dust.

Sam Sloan

Sep 9, 2003, 7:30:41 AM9/9/03
On 9 Sep 2003 03:21:46 -0700, tartak...@hotmail.com (Spam Scone)
wrote:

Would you mind giving an example of just one fact that I have got
wrong. OK Of course, Peter Leko is not dead, but I said that Peter
Leko is reported to have been killed in a car accident, which was
true.

Name another fact which I got wrong.

Sam Sloan

StanB

Sep 9, 2003, 9:11:32 AM9/9/03

> Would you mind giving an example of just one fact that I have got
> wrong. OK Of course, Peter Leko is not dead, but I said that Peter
> Leko is reported to have been killed in a car accident, which was
> true.
>
> Name another fact which I got wrong.

He wasn't analyzing a game when he was kilt.

StanB

ASCACHESS

Sep 9, 2003, 11:02:54 AM9/9/03
>Would you mind giving an example of just one fact that I have got
>wrong. OK Of course, Peter Leko is not dead, but I said that Peter
>Leko is reported to have been killed in a car accident, which was
>true.
>
>Name another fact which I got wrong.
>
>Sam Sloan

Sam is back to his "Look at me. Me. Me. Me." mode.
The taxicab driver's needs are many.
Sam's lies are legion.
When caught, he disappears from the RGCP to lick his wounds.

Richard Peterson

Louis Blair

Sep 9, 2003, 8:23:38 PM9/9/03

Sam Sloan wrote (2003-09-09 04:30:45 PST):

> Would you mind giving an example of just
> one fact that I have got wrong. OK Of course,
> Peter Leko is not dead, but I said that Peter
> Leko is reported to have been killed in a car
> accident, which was true.

_
That was not the first sentence in the Sam Sloan note:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
From: Sam Sloan (sl...@ishipress.com)
Subject: Peter Leko killed in car accident
Newsgroups: soc.culture.magyar, rec.games.chess.politics,
rec.games.chess.misc
Date: 2002-12-01 19:46:44 PST

Peter Leko was killed in a car accident today in Budapest.

It has been reported that Leko died in a car crash while analyzing a
game he had played against Shirov on a pocket set. Shirov is in Spain
now and was not in the accident.

Leko, 23, recently won a qualification tournament and was scheduled to
play a match for the World Chess Championship. He was once the world's
youngest grandmaster and has consistently been rated in the top ten
players in the world.

Sam Sloan
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Bruce Draney

Sep 9, 2003, 10:18:11 PM9/9/03

Another 61 MPH breaking ball, belt high over the plate. I don't even
have to go to dejas for this one, it was just a few days ago:

> [...]
> >
> > >Mr. Hanke was an unknown in USCF
> > >politics. To run and be elected the first time out and got the 2nd
> > >highest vote total, and to be in charge of USCF finance is big feat.
> > >If they are not the new superstars then I don't know who is.
> >
> > Apparently, you are not aware. Tim Hanke has been an Internet gadfly
> > and one of the most frequent posters to various chess e-mail groups
> > and newsgroups since at least 1994. The only person who has posted
> > more frequently to the newsgroups than Tim Hanke is Bruce Draney.
> >
> > So, the election of Hanke simply shows that if you post a lot you can
> > get elected.
> >
> > Sam Sloan
>
> A 15 minute gander at permanent records on Google once again catch Sam
> Sloan lying through his teeth. Here are the most frequent posters to
> just RGCP only since they began keeping records, up through today:
>
> #1-Eric Johnson-8,380, posting under Chesspride. Even though Eric
> hasn't posted to this newsgroup for over a year, he
> still holds a narrow leader over the great truth
> teller himself, Sam Ismail Haji Ishi Press Sloan.
>
> #2-Sam Sloan-8,360 and this does not count thousands of crossposts
> to other newsgroups that have been annoying the hell
> of people for years, nor does it count newsgroup
> posts made under the name Ismail Sloan, or Sloan@ishi
> press.
>
> #3-Bruce Draney 8,100 and I used to post to RGCM, but have not
> been active on that newsgroup for a number of years.
>
> #4-Kevin Bachler 6,390. Kevin is rapidly catching up as he
> only started posting about 4-5 years ago I think.
>
> #5-Stan Booz 6,130. This surprised me a little bit, but Stan is
> also rapidly working his way to the top. I think
> about half of Stan and Kevin's posts are insulting
> one another or discussing discussions.
>
> #6-Richard Peterson 4,980-Posting under the name ASCAchess,
> Richard comes in 6th.
>
> #7-Neil Brennen-4,851 Posting under his own name and the pseudonym
> Spam Scone, Neil is also likely to surpass Johnson
> by next year.
>
> #8-Liam 4,840 Even though Liam stopped posting in 2001 in
> October, nearly two years ago, he still holds down
> a solid 8th place on the list. This is not the new
> poster Liam too.
>
> #9-Richard Haas-2,190 Haas is a relative newcomer and about 1,500
> of his posts suggest the metro district mensa plan.
> Seriously, I'm pretty sure that Jim Eade and some
> others might place ahead of Richard, but I couldn't
> remember what name Eade posted under and I made my
> point that Sloan is as usual full of it.
>
> Note that this information came from the Google records and it was
> done by an author search on RGCP only. If I had taken all newsgroups,
> I have no doubt that Sloan who crossposts all of the time would be way
> out in the lead of even Eric Johnson, although I think Eric still posts
> to other groups, just not this one.
>
> As usual, the truth is out there, even though a certain Brooklyn Cabbie

Now that you've given up two grand slams on successive pitches, perhaps
someone would like to go back and reprint your classic lie about Tim
Redman showing up to get his hot hands on the prize money at the USATE
in 2000.

This is too much like catching a 20 lb trout on a piece of snot at
Trout Haven though, so I'll wait form someone else to post one of the
many whoppers and misstatements of facts that you've made either
intentionally or unintentionally over the years.

Best Regards,

Bruce

JimEade

Sep 9, 2003, 11:24:37 PM9/9/03
>> Seriously, I'm pretty sure that Jim Eade and some
>> others might place ahead of Richard, but I couldn't
>> remember what name Eade posted under and I made my
>> point that Sloan is as usual full of it.

Hi Bruce,

I post under jim...@aol.com. That shouldn't be too difficult to remember.

I never posted under Slamstone (who is a frequent poster, just not me) or any
other name except for one instance. I posted as Chessroom back in (I think)
1996 one time, because I had forgotten I'd logged on under that screen name.

I realize that the point of your post was that Scammie was and remains full of
it, but, I was wondering why you singled me out. You seemed to be implying that
I was posting under another name. Is that what you think?

As for the thread itself... Parr on Sam Sloan: Puhleeze....

James Eade
Remove the Sheesh to respond. Don't worry. Talk happy.

Bruce Draney

Sep 9, 2003, 11:37:05 PM9/9/03

Nothing like that Jim. Just was getting frustrated, plugging in James
Eade, JamesEade, JEade, Jim Eade and JE...@aol.com, before I finally
just checked dejas and found out there was no space between Jim and
Eade. My bad.

How's things out in the Bay area these days?

Best Regards,

Bruce

sandirhodes

Sep 10, 2003, 1:32:14 AM9/10/03

"Bruce Draney" wrote in message

>Now that you've given up two grand slams on successive pitches, ...

Oops, it IS possible. Just not in the same game. Dang I hate when I do
that!! LOL!!

sandirhodes

Sep 10, 2003, 1:36:09 AM9/10/03
"Bruce Draney" wrote:

>Now that you've given up two grand slams on successive pitches, ...

A feat ONLY Sloan could manage! Brings to mind an old baseball quiz. The
answer is NOT obvious:

What is the minimum number of (legal) pitches necessary to retire one side
in one complete baseball inning? That is one team, three outs.

Answer later!

Spam Scone

Sep 10, 2003, 6:48:24 AM9/10/03
sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan) wrote in message news:<3f5db961....@ca.news.verio.net>...

> Would you mind giving an example of just one fact that I have got
> wrong. OK Of course, Peter Leko is not dead, but I said that Peter
> Leko is reported to have been killed in a car accident, which was
> true.
> Name another fact which I got wrong.
> Sam Sloan

"Neil Brennen no-show at World Open"

"Niro is Back!!"

That's two.

JimEade

Sep 10, 2003, 11:03:03 AM9/10/03
>Nothing like that Jim. Just was getting frustrated, plugging in James
>Eade, JamesEade, JEade, Jim Eade and JE...@aol.com, before I finally
>just checked dejas and found out there was no space between Jim and
>Eade. My bad.
>
> How's things out in the Bay area these days?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Bruce

Thanks for the clarification. There are no complaints out here. It's all
good.

John Fernandez

Sep 10, 2003, 12:01:18 PM9/10/03
>What is the minimum number of (legal) pitches necessary to retire one side
>in one complete baseball inning? That is one team, three outs.
>
>Answer later!

Zero. You can always just go to your mouth 4 times, pick the guy off, rinse and
repeat.

John Fernandez

sandirhodes

Sep 10, 2003, 1:23:00 PM9/10/03
"John Fernandez" wrote in message

8.02 A 1

My answer was a little more complicated. Has this always been a rule (I'm
not that familiar with the minutiae)? The reason I ask is because the
answer I have always known is 1, but this was valid (or not) from the 60s.

Bruce Draney

Sep 10, 2003, 3:07:11 PM9/10/03

Can a person be awarded a base without a pitch being thrown? If John
is correct, that a pitcher going to his mouth while on the mound, or
doctoring the ball results in an awarding of a base to the batter, then
it would be possible to give up grand slams on consecutive pitches, even
in the same inning, and easily in the same game.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Sam Sloan

Sep 10, 2003, 3:51:44 PM9/10/03

Wrong again. The statement that Bruce posts more than anybody else is
true. Probably Bill Smythe posts more times, but when he posts it is
usually only one sentence long. When Bruce posts it is usually at
least seven paragraphs long. Thus, Bruce posts by far and away the
most words on this newsgroup. He also tends to play the same bongo
drum notes again and again. If he would pay me, I could write all the
posts of Bruce and nobody would be able to tell if it was him or me.

Bruce also posts under anonymous names.

The statement that Tim Redman was planning to take control of the
funds at the US Amateur Team Championship after Steve Doyle had a
heart attack was true. Because of my post the New Jersey State Chess
Federation held an emergency meeting and voted to deny Redman any role
in running the tournament, whereas they had previously decided to turn
the tournament over to Redman. This was one of my greatest and most
successful journalistic coups in that I was able to report on this in
a timely manner and thereby the day was saved.

It helped that Redman was known for doing this sort of thing the
previous time he was USCF President in 1981-1984.

Sam Sloan

Bruce Draney

Sep 10, 2003, 4:05:11 PM9/10/03
Actually, oh great and weaselly one, you are full of it. Many of my
posts are short smart aleck one liners. It is you oh great and mighty
unwashed one who posts novellas on their personal sex life and bizarre
court cases. For example your recent mental wander down VD lane, was
pages long.

You have only proven how desperate you are not to be singled out as a
person who lies, or misstates nearly all of the time. Your pathetic
excuses, justifying your misstatements are more idiotic than the
original misstatements themselves.

Just for the record, Kevin Bachler's posts, and Larry Parr's posts are
nearly always longer than anyone else's but your own.

Best Regards,

Bruce

Liam Too

Sep 10, 2003, 4:23:04 PM9/10/03
"sandirhodes" <rhoes...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dLy7b.8386$NW3....@news1.central.cox.net>...

Three is the obvious one.

It looks like 1906 in Chicago all over again, Cubs vs white Sox in the World Series.

Bruce Draney

Sep 10, 2003, 4:37:13 PM9/10/03

Is it possible to reach base without a pitch being thrown? If so then
the answer could certainly be none.

Once two men are on base, a single pitch could result in a triple play,
ground ball, to third, steps on 3rd, throws to 2nd on to 1st, so it
could conceivably be one pitch if men can reach base without being
pitched to. Also, as John F. has pointed out, pickoff plays are not
pitches, so technically a player on base could be picked off without the
out, counting towards a pitch. Catcher interference also comes to mind
as a possibility for reaching base, although I'm unsure if the batter
has to be swinging at a pitch for there to be batter interference.

Also, could a batter be called out, for using illegal equipment such as
a corked bat? If so then an out could occur with no pitch being
thrown. It seems to me though that the most likely answer is zero
pitches.

Best Regards,

Bruce

John Fernandez

Sep 10, 2003, 5:25:21 PM9/10/03
They always talk about it with Barry Bonds - why no pitcher just goes to his
mouth 4 times and gets it over with. (Maybe it just looks stupid?) As
sandirhodes pointed out, 8.02A1.

Of course, if you change your example to a game played in the snow, that option
is no good.

John Fernandez

sandirhodes

Sep 10, 2003, 7:57:38 PM9/10/03

"Bruce Draney" wrote in message

Och Aye!! I hate being myopic.

sandirhodes

Sep 10, 2003, 8:00:49 PM9/10/03
"John Fernandez" <jcfern...@aol.commeepmeep> wrote in message

The original solution was: 1.

And the method was as follows.

On the first pitch, the batter smacks a triple. As the pitcher winds up to
the next batter, the guy on third heads home. Pitcher steps off the mound,
throws it home, batter interferes. Batter is out, runner goes back to
third. Rinse and repeat.

But JF scored the slam.

Tony D.

Sep 11, 2003, 9:38:05 AM9/11/03
>Subject: Re: Parr on Sam Sloan
>From: "sandirhodes" rhoes...@hotmail.com
>Newsgroups: rec.games.chess.politics
>Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 05:36:09 GMT

Who cares? It's baseball.

Tony D.

Liam Too

Sep 11, 2003, 5:31:36 PM9/11/03
tdilu...@aol.commie-rat (Tony D.) wrote in message news:<20030911093805...@mb-m26.aol.com>...
>>Who cares? It's baseball.--Tony D.<<

Chessplayers care. After baseball, they play chess.

Sam Sloan

Sep 14, 2003, 10:30:43 AM9/14/03
On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:51:44 GMT, sl...@ishipress.com (Sam Sloan)
wrote:

I was thinking of writing a Nigerian Scam letter based on this
incident. However, I decided not to, because Time might not like it.
It would go something like this:

"You are probably surprised to hear from me as I have never contacted
you before, but my contacts in your country inform me that you are a
trustworthy, honest and reliable person who can be trusted with large
sums of money.

I am Time Redmain, former President of the United States Cheese
Federation. During the 2000 United States Amateur Team Championship
East I was able to spirit $18.5 million in tournament funds to a
secure bank account in Nigeria. I was able to accomplish this because
Doyle claimed that he had sent the funds to the USCF in an Airborne
Express Package and that the package had been lost in transit.

I have since then been planning to go to Nigeria to collect the money.
However, this bad guy Sloan (I can't remember his first name) has been
demanding a re-investigation of this entire matter, including finding
out what really happened to the Airborne Express package. Also, if I
disappear from UTD they will notice me missing right away, due to my
wide position at UTD.

Therefore, I would like for you to go to Nigeria, impersonate me, and
move the funds to the Cayman Islands.

For this, I will pay you 25% of the funds plus you will be entitled to
an additional 20% for your travel and entertainment expenses.

Please write back to notify me of your acceptance of this acreement.

Time