Sam Sloan censured by Executive Board

Duncan Oxley

Dec 5, 2006, 3:56:13 PM12/5/06
The following motion by Joel Channing has passed by a vote of 3-0 with
Channing, Goichberg and Hough in favor and Sloan, Marinello, Schultz and
Tanner abstaining.

Bill Goichberg
---

November 29, 2006:

I move that the Executive Board of the USCF censure Sam Sloan for his
failures to adhere to the Standards of Conduct as highlighted and noted in
the attached emails.

( NOTE: I added a * to each of the highlighted lines in case your news
reader does not show it --Duncan)

Joel Channing

Violations of (1c), (2e), (3), (3b) & (3d)

Dec 5, 2006, 4:10:44 PM12/5/06

This is bull shit. Goichberg just hates me for no reason. He's a racist
pig.

Sam Sloan

mar...@stkittsnevischess.org

Dec 5, 2006, 5:03:42 PM12/5/06
Why bother to CENSURE Sloan? Bill Clinton get introble, and he laughed
about it. Sloan, right now, is laughing. Every time you CENSURE Sloan,
you give him more votes in the next election. The best way to embarass
Sloan is to examine his past.

Marcus Roberts

Chess Nuggets

Dec 5, 2006, 6:20:40 PM12/5/06
Awesome. About time they did something official to that asshat Sloan.

parrt...@cs.com

Dec 5, 2006, 8:33:37 PM12/5/06
CLEANING THE AUGEAN STABLES

Okay, then, where is the motion thanking Sam
Sloan for exposing a cheat among the members of the
Executive Board, who has since resigned?

Why aren't Joel Channing, Bill Goichberg and
Randy Hough THANKING Sam for uncovering one of their
members (and friends, to be sure) who misused his
position as a TD so egregiously?

What Sam did was precisely this: he discovered
a deeply untrustworthy member of the Executive Board
who had been a serial cheat -- planning carefully his
ploys -- over several years.

If that effort does not merit a big THANK YOU,
then nothing does from this Board.

It is evidently the case that cleaning out the
Augean stables is not something that the EB horses
much appreciate.

Ray Gordon, creator of the pivot

Dec 5, 2006, 9:06:06 PM12/5/06

parrt...@cs.com wrote:
> CLEANING THE AUGEAN STABLES
>
> Okay, then, where is the motion thanking Sam
> Sloan for exposing a cheat among the members of the
> Executive Board, who has since resigned?
>
> Why aren't Joel Channing, Bill Goichberg and
> Randy Hough THANKING Sam for uncovering one of their
> members (and friends, to be sure) who misused his
> position as a TD so egregiously?
>
> What Sam did was precisely this: he discovered
> a deeply untrustworthy member of the Executive Board
> who had been a serial cheat -- planning carefully his
> ploys -- over several years.
>
> If that effort does not merit a big THANK YOU,
> then nothing does from this Board.
>
> It is evidently the case that cleaning out the
> Augean stables is not something that the EB horses
> much appreciate.

Ange1o DePa1ma

Dec 5, 2006, 10:32:17 PM12/5/06

"Chess Nuggets" <spo...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message

Which emails? Does anyone have copies?

Chess One

Dec 6, 2006, 7:50:30 AM12/6/06

"Ange1o DePa1ma" <angelod...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> I move that the Executive Board of the USCF censure Sam Sloan for his
>>> failures to adhere to the Standards of Conduct as highlighted and noted
>>> in
>>> the attached emails.
>
> Which emails? Does anyone have copies?

----
Angelo, here is a collation, reposted here from elsewhere, but in their
entirety without edit or comment from me. I also asked elsewhere which
specific Conduct is cited as failing to adhere to the Standards 'as
highlighted'. There has been no reply - Phil Innes
----

The following motion by Joel Channing has passed by a vote of 3-0 with
Channing, Goichberg and Hough in favor and Sloan, Marinello, Schultz and
Tanner abstaining.

Bill Goichberg

November 29, 2006:

I move that the Executive Board of the USCF censure Sam Sloan for his
failures to adhere to the Standards of Conduct as highlighted and noted in
the attached emails.

Joel Channing

Violations of (1c), (2e), (3), (3b) & (3d)

rexar...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2006, 8:22:58 AM12/6/06

Chess One wrote:
> Angelo, here is a collation, reposted here from elsewhere, but in their
> entirety without edit or comment from me. I also asked elsewhere which
> specific Conduct is cited as failing to adhere to the Standards 'as
> highlighted'. There has been no reply - Phil Innes
> ----

You could try the USCF BINFO system or the USCF Forums. Of course, you
must be a member of the USCF to get there. But, you aren't, are you?
So why the hell are you bothering the rest of us? Get off, idiot,

Ange1o DePa1ma

Dec 6, 2006, 9:48:01 AM12/6/06
His "stupid" remark would qualify as unprofessional in a public forum (was
this email part of public discussions?), but mere testiness in a private
meeting among peers.

Is this all there is? Could this be payback for uncovering Tanner's alleged
misdeeds?

I say "alleged" because while I strongly agree with Tanner's decision to
quit the board, it's unclear to me that he did anything that was against the
rules. Is an expert/master TD permitted to play fill-in games in the U-1200
section of tournaments he runs? I don't know. If it's a gray legal area such
behavior can be viewed in one of two ways: he's skimming rating points
(bad), or he's giving beginners a chance to play someone rated over 2000
(good).

As for his peripatetic tournaments with Hans and Franz, I have two
observiations. Where was the person who was rating these events when the
reports were submitted? Didn't he or she notice anything strange? Second, it
is not up to Tanner, 15 years after the fact, to prove that these guys
exist. Since USCF was accusing him of malfeasance it is up to them to prove
they do *not* exist. Since you can't prove a negative, and considering the
time that has elapsed, this matter should have been dropped with a valuable
lesson learned. Had the rating administrator 15 years ago raised a red flag
it would have been reasonable to ask him to produce these characters. Not
today.

Angelo DePalma

"Chess One" <inn...@verizon.net> wrote in message

rexar...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2006, 10:14:24 AM12/6/06

Ange1o DePa1ma wrote:
> His "stupid" remark would qualify as unprofessional in a public forum (was
> this email part of public discussions?), but mere testiness in a private
> meeting among peers.

His stupid "stupid" remark was made in a non-confidential BINFO post.
Anyone that is a member of the USCF can read it.

> Is this all there is?

No. You quoted another part of it which was Sloan lying about
candidates not having filed election fees.

Chess One

Dec 6, 2006, 11:34:10 AM12/6/06
>> Can someone say what specific Standards of Conduct
>> violations are being cited as Censured? PI
> ********************************
> You can find a complete copy of the Standards of
> Conduct here:
>
> http://uschess.org/org/govern/conduct.html
>
> The Channing e-mail (partially copied below) lists the
> sections where violations are claimed.
>
> Note that a censure from the Executive Board is not
> the same thing as a censure from the Ethics Committee.
> The former is a mere opinion of the EB, while the
> latter is a formal finding carrying greater weight, as
> well as an automatic probationary period of one year.

Thanks Hal!

As a completely non-partisan observer on the personality level [a rarity] I
am still trying to connect the conduct censure with the specific
activities - can it be mention of the Tanner Ethics issue? Perhaps there are
multiple issues here, though from what I have read, Mr. Tanner seemed
disinclined to note the ethics finding - and I personally find the
combination of the subject of ethics and secrecy to be oxymoronic.

I can't imagine what is censurable about disclosing cheating, especially
since the individual named was himself on a Fide Ethics committee.

Would it not have been better to differentiate one censured topic from
another? - the cited material below does seem to range widely. I can see
some objectionable elements in them, but cannot understand others.

The unfortunate, and perhaps unintended effect of admixing them, is to seem
to achieve a board censure of Sam Sloan for disclosing board member ethical
violations. This, indeed, is now the popular perception of the board's
actions.

Rather than perceive Mr. Sloan as worthy of censure where it seems due, that
is lost in a sense of persecuting what is considered a just exposition,
thus, if I wanted to actually enhance Mr. Sloan's image prospects, I would
act just as the board has done.

Phil Innes

> -- Hal Terrie
> **************************************

rexar...@yahoo.com

Dec 6, 2006, 11:50:45 AM12/6/06

Chess One wrote:
> As a completely non-partisan observer on the personality level [a rarity] I

Prevarication right off the bat. There's a good start.

> am still trying to connect the conduct censure with the specific
> activities - can it be mention of the Tanner Ethics issue?

The motion was clear. Sloan defamed various USCF officials and
members, lied about candidates regarding payment of fees, etc... What
about this is not clear to you? Of course, if you were a member then
you could look at the original motion on the USCF Forum or in the
BINFOs.

But you are not, are you?

So what the hell does it matter to you? Go away.

Chess One

Dec 6, 2006, 1:57:31 PM12/6/06

<rexar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Chess One wrote:
>> As a completely non-partisan observer on the personality level [a rarity]
>
> Prevarication right off the bat. There's a good start.

Prevarication! But not of what.

>> am still trying to connect the conduct censure with the specific
>> activities - can it be mention of the Tanner Ethics issue?
>
> The motion was clear. Sloan defamed various USCF officials and
> members, lied about candidates regarding payment of fees, etc... What
> about this is not clear to you? Of course, if you were a member then
> you could look at the original motion on the USCF Forum or in the
> BINFOs.

I am aware of what's written which is as vague as your post. If you hadn't
snipped my comments that it wouldn't be necessary to make yours <yawn>

And I can read the Forum, anyway ;)
I simply resent the idea of having to say I am a member of the smelly-foot
society, in order to notice that some people's feet stink.

> But you are not, are you?
>
> So what the hell does it matter to you? Go away.

Up yours too! This is a public forum, if you don't like it, you go away to
the nice edited, but supremely boring monitored one at USCF.

Quondam Aquarius, Phil Innes

Ray Gordon, creator of the "pivot"

Dec 6, 2006, 4:38:38 PM12/6/06
So why was Jennifer Shahade hired less than two years after Greg resigned
from the board?

(2)(a) Except where noted below, ****no Executive Board member or a member
of his immediate family may receive financial compensation from the USCF for
any reason, except for standard reimbursement of expenses, during his tenure
on the Board, or for two years after***** completing his tenure if such
compensation results from bids accepted or agreements made by the Board
during his tenure. In claiming expense reimbursement, a Board member must
claim only that portion of expenses that were incurred in non-political
activities that were a legitimate exercise of the Board member's duties. Any
unusual expenses for which reimbursement is questionable must be referred to
the full Board for consideration. Board members are expected to exercise all
reasonable frugality in incurring expenses to be reimbursed.

--
Ray Gordon, Author
The OFFICIAL Ray Gordon Blog:

"Chess One" <inn...@verizon.net> wrote in message

samsloan

Dec 6, 2006, 7:11:04 PM12/6/06
If the truth ever comes out, which will require all the confidential
board emails to be published, and will require the tapes and
transcripts to be posted, which has not happened thus far although it
is required by the by-laws, it will be seen that the real situation is
that the Mr. Channing and Mr. Goichberg have consumed tremendous
amounts of board time by attacking me.

Bill did not reveal this, but he made a previous motion to reprimand or
censure me back in August, 2006. After a lengthy and divisive debate,
that motion passed by 4-2, with Don Schultz and Beatriz Marinello
voting against and me not voting at all.

Since then, there has been little substantive discussion by the board
on any subject. Indeed, the three emails for which they censured me
constitutes virtually the only real commentary on the important US
Championship issue.

As for my requests taking up the time of the office, my requests have
all been reasonable and for documents which should have been readily
available. At my first meeting of the board, I asked for copies of the
Truong contracts and the AF4C contracts. I was told that they were lost
along with almost all the other financial records and important
documents from New Windsor. As a result of my persistent requests for
these documents, one month later they were finally located in the
lawyer's office. The originals in the USCF files still have not been
located. Also, all the original Chess Life word processing files in
Quark Express have been lost and are said to be in the Crossville
Landfill.

In addition, for nearly one month from about August 25 to late
September 2006, I received few emails from the board because, they
claimed, my email address was not working. This was a lie. My email
address worked fine. They were accidentally on purpose sending all the
emails to a non-existent address.

With this background, plus Joel Channing yelling and screaming at me
during the meeting in Stamford, it is obvious that the motion to
censure me was done for political purposes.

Sam Sloan

parrt...@cs.com

Dec 6, 2006, 11:15:42 PM12/6/06
REVENGE -- PURE AND SIMPLE

There ought to be a motion thanking Sam
Sloan He was censured in revenge for dragging
down insider Robert Tanner.

politi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2006, 12:59:42 AM12/7/06
parrt...@cs.com wrote:
> REVENGE -- PURE AND SIMPLE
>
> There ought to be a motion thanking Sam
> Sloan He was censured in revenge for dragging
> down insider Robert Tanner.

You may be correct.

But I still haven't received an answer to my questions from Sloan. The
answer has a direct bearing on the propriety of Sloan's conduct as a
Board member.

1. Does Sloan acknowledge authorship of deleted BINFO 200603590?

2. Does Sloan acknowledge the text below as the text of that BINFO?

These are simple questions, and Sloan claims to be an honest man.
"Yes" or "No" should suffice.

*********

BEGIN QUOTATION

BINFO 200603590
Date 2006-09-25

>From samsloan

Status Standard Release
Release Date 2006-10-03
Subject Resolution of the Executive Board

To: Chessoffice@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Resolution of the Executive Board
From: Sam Sloan <samsloan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:47:41 -0400
Cc: Joel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Beatchess@xxxxxxx, Rtannerae@xxxxxxx,
randallhough@xxxxxxxxx, samsloan@xxxxxxxxxxxx, CHESSJOEL@xxxxxxx,
bhall@xxxxxxxxxxx, Chessdon@xxxxxxx, pknight@xxxxxxxxxxx,
queencapa@xxxxxxx , USCF BINFO System, Chessoffice@xxxxxxx

At 11:00 AM 9/25/2006 -0400, Chessoffice@xxxxxxx wrote:>>I move in open
session that the Board approve the following resolution>written by our
attorney, Mike Matsler. I vote yes.
> >Bill Goichberg>I am deeply discouraged and disappointed that Bill, acting like a bull in a china shop, has brought this into the public forum by making a public motion and posting it to USCF BINFO System, as a result of which this matter will disseminated and the entire world will know about it in due course.The fact is that my relationship with Zsuzsa Polgar (who now calls herself Susan) was not entirely Platonic. I have been discrete

and have not revealed to anyone other than a few close friends the true
nature of
our prior relationship, until now. Now, Bill's public motion
effectively forces me to reveal what really happened those many years
ago. This will do no good either to me, Zsuzsa,
Bill or the USCF, but it appears that now I will have no real choice
but to tell the whole story. Sam Sloan

END QUOTATION

politi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2006, 1:04:26 AM12/7/06
He "has no real choice," n'est-ce pas?

politi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2006, 1:06:59 AM12/7/06
politi...@gmail.com wrote:
> He "has no real choice," n'est-ce pas?

s/h/b

He has "no real choice," n'est-ce pas?

:-)

politi...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2006, 2:46:11 AM12/7/06
Perhaps Sloan and S. Polgar discussed the _Poetics_, which is "not
entirely Platonic" (indeed, not at all....)

Ange1o DePa1ma

Dec 7, 2006, 9:10:13 AM12/7/06
<rexar...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

An accusation is not a lie if the accuser has reason to believe the charge
is true. According to your logic every public prosecutor who loses a case
should be tried for malpractice.

Sam Sloan's chess life, writing, and whistle-blowing is conducted "on the
edge." Sometimes he is fabulously wrong, as when he reported the death of
Peter Leko. Sometimes, as with the Tanner incident, he is so dead-on that
you have to wonder about people who have disparaged him over the years, and
what their agendas might be.

One thing is for certain: he loves chess, and he does not conduct his chess
affairs with the expectation of financial reward. That's a pretty good start
for a USCF board member.

I didn't vote for him last time (I didn't vote for anyone, actually). Next
time I will campaign for him.

Taylor Kingston

Dec 7, 2006, 10:04:10 AM12/7/06

On Dec 7, 9:10 am, "Ange1o DePa1ma" <angelodpnos...@nospam.gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sam Sloan's chess life, writing, and whistle-blowing is conducted "on the
> edge." Sometimes he is fabulously wrong, as when he reported the death of
> Peter Leko. Sometimes, as with the Tanner incident, he is so dead-on that
> you have to wonder about people who have disparaged him over the years, and
> what their agendas might be.

Angelo, get real. All this shows is that a weatherman who predicts
rain every day will sometimes be right, even in the Sahara.

Mike Murray

Dec 7, 2006, 10:39:00 AM12/7/06
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:10:13 -0500, "Ange1o DePa1ma"
<angelod...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>Sam Sloan's chess life, writing, and whistle-blowing is conducted "on the
>edge." Sometimes he is fabulously wrong, as when he reported the death of
>Peter Leko.

Hell, even this has been blown out of proportion. He was trying for a
newsgroup scoop, and repeated what may have been a deliberate hoax. He
admitted his mistake and corrected himself the next day. If only the
Federation's errors were put right this fast....

>Sometimes, as with the Tanner incident, he is so dead-on that
>you have to wonder about people who have disparaged him over the years, and
>what their agendas might be.

People like to stay with the business-as-usual comfort zone for
personal and financial reasons. Plus, it's hard to play the role of
dignified international "sports" personality when there's a ferret in
your shorts. And some are honestly offended by his personal life and
publications.

>One thing is for certain: he loves chess, and he does not conduct his chess
>affairs with the expectation of financial reward. That's a pretty good start
>for a USCF board member.

>I didn't vote for him last time (I didn't vote for anyone, actually). Next
>time I will campaign for him.

Parr remarked some time ago that we wouldn't want all Sloans on the
board, but one's not such a bad idea.

Ange1o DePa1ma

Dec 7, 2006, 4:25:14 PM12/7/06
"Mike Murray" <mikem...@despammed.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:10:13 -0500, "Ange1o DePa1ma"
> <angelod...@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Sam Sloan's chess life, writing, and whistle-blowing is conducted "on the
>>edge." Sometimes he is fabulously wrong, as when he reported the death of
>>Peter Leko.
>
> Hell, even this has been blown out of proportion. He was trying for a
> newsgroup scoop, and repeated what may have been a deliberate hoax. He
> admitted his mistake and corrected himself the next day. If only the
> Federation's errors were put right this fast....

I agree. Newspapers make mistakes like this, and worse, all the time and we
still buy them.

>>Sometimes, as with the Tanner incident, he is so dead-on that
>>you have to wonder about people who have disparaged him over the years,
>>and
>>what their agendas might be.
>
> People like to stay with the business-as-usual comfort zone for
> personal and financial reasons. Plus, it's hard to play the role of
> dignified international "sports" personality when there's a ferret in
> your shorts. And some are honestly offended by his personal life and
> publications.
>
>>One thing is for certain: he loves chess, and he does not conduct his
>>chess
>>affairs with the expectation of financial reward. That's a pretty good
>>start
>>for a USCF board member.
>
>>I didn't vote for him last time (I didn't vote for anyone, actually). Next
>>time I will campaign for him.
>
> Parr remarked some time ago that we wouldn't want all Sloans on the
> board, but one's not such a bad idea.

Great point.

Let's face it, the Tanner fiasco exposed a lot more than the alleged
misdeeds of one individual. Think about everyone who must have known
something was fishy and didn't say anything.

Sam is not good for the status quo. He raises issues about salaries,
contracts, and all that sweet stuff that's been the fiefdom of entrenched
USCF interests since I was a kid.

GO SAM!

parrt...@cs.com

Dec 7, 2006, 10:40:31 PM12/7/06
CONFIDENTIAL MEMOS

We recollect when Bill Goichberg moved a motion
to have the Pinkerton Detective Agency investigate
Larry Evans (without, as it turned out, even probable
cause). Now, we have expensive consultations with
lawyers about how to get rid of Sam Sloan.

Imagine: a Federation actually spying on GM
Evans. Result: GM Evans was cleared and it turned
out that a board member himsedlf was guilty of the
"crime" he tried to pin on the 5-time U.S. champion.
Suddenly the "investigation" was dropped like a
hot potato.

Tthe embarrassment was such that Board
members voting in favor of the Pinkerton investigation
of GM Evans later reimbursed the Federation out of their
own pockets for the amount wasted.

Perhaps Sam Sloan should introduce a resolution
requiring Bill Goichberg and Joel Channing to pay for
the legal bills incurred while trying to unseat Sam without
an election.

samsloan wrote:
> I cannot answer these questions because my hard drive crashed and,
> although a donor gave me money to buy a new computer, I still cannot
> get access to the confidential board BINFOS (Mike Nolan says that there
> is a technical problem that he has not been able to solve) so I cannot
> recover the text of the motion made by Bill Goichberg or the
> acrimoneous debate that followed (in which I did not participate).
>
> I would appreciate it if somebody can locate and post the two lengthy
> letters Bill Goichberg wrote to the USCF's attorney, Michael Matsler,
> asking "How to get rid of Sam Sloan". One of these letters was dated on
> about August 25, 2006. Also, the two three page letters Michael Matsler
> wrote back (for which the USCF was no doubt charged at least a thousand
> dollars) should be posted.
>
> I believe that the members have a right to know how their membership
> dues are being spent and that the USCF President, Bill Goichberg, and
> the VP of Finance, Joel Channing, have spent a tremendous amount of the
> board's time and the USCF's money trying to get rid of a duly elected
> board member, me.
>
> To begin with, all the "Confidential" emails on this subject should be
> made public.
>
> Sam Sloan

samsloan

Dec 8, 2006, 7:22:55 AM12/8/06
parrt...@cs.com wrote:
> CONFIDENTIAL MEMOS
>
> We recollect when Bill Goichberg moved a motion
> to have the Pinkerton Detective Agency investigate
> Larry Evans (without, as it turned out, even probable
> cause). Now, we have expensive consultations with
> lawyers about how to get rid of Sam Sloan.

Exactly right. Bill Goichberg wrote at least five letters to the USCF's
attorney Michael Matsler asking how to (legally) get rid of Sam Sloan
and received at least five letters back from the USCF's attorney. This
started right after the votes were counted in July and before I took
office.

This lawyer does not work cheap and I am sure that the legal bills for
these five letters came to several thousand dollars.

Bill Goichberg should pay those bills. I was elected by the members and
the members should not have to pay the legal bills for the efforts of
Bill Goichberg (who opposed me for election) to stop me from taking
office or to remove me from office.

Sam Sloan