Any relation to the old Apple ][ game?

1 view

Evan M Corcoran

Dec 7, 1993, 7:24:46 AM12/7/93
In article <2e1biq...@no-names.nerdc.ufl.edu>, j...@huron.eel.ufl.edu
(Jordan Hazen) wrote:

> I remember an old Apple ][ game called "Bolo," from back in the days of the
> Apple II Plus and DOS 3.3 (1983 or so?)... anyway, it was a single-player tank-
> type game, where the objective was to successfully navigate through mazes,
> finding and destroying the "bases" while avoiding computer-controlled
> opponent tanks. If I remember correctly, there was no provision for multiple
> players or network connections, though. I thought of this old relic when I
> first saw "xtank" on UNIX systems...

I remember this game! It was great fun. No, there's no relation, except
that both games are excellent (but real Bolo is muchmuch better.)

I remember shooting through the base shielding...what a game.

AMBG,
-EMC "gruff"

Jordan Hazen

Dec 9, 1993, 7:36:54 PM12/9/93
In article <emc-0712...@nubs8.ccs.itd.umich.edu>, e...@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us (Evan M Corcoran) writes:

|> I remember this game! It was great fun. No, there's no relation, except
|> that both games are excellent (but real Bolo is muchmuch better.)
|>
|> I remember shooting through the base shielding...what a game.

It's amazing how fast this old Apple ][ game actually was on the higher levels; it
was often faster than xtank is today. Pretty amazing considering the difference in
computing horsepower between an old 1-MHz Apple and a modern workstation. Of course,
the low screen resolution and lack of hardware abstraction (write directly to
screen memory) makes a big difference, I guess...

|> AMBG,
|> -EMC "gruff"

Tony Mangefeste

Dec 10, 1993, 4:33:26 PM12/10/93
Re: Any relation to the old Apple ][ game?

Gosh, that brings back memories. What impressed me the most is the fact
that
it ran on a 1MHZ machine (previously mentioned), and the level of
"intelligence"
on the enemies part! Now there is a game that displayed what a programmer
could do
with a game! Very impressive!

Btw, this also reminds me of Castle Wolfenstein, remember that? No, not
the new
version but the old Apple][ version! Now there was a game!

Tony Mangefeste

Drew Popper

Dec 10, 1993, 11:25:09 PM12/10/93
In article <2eapv6$m...@louie.udel.edu>, Tony Mangefeste

<t...@gandalf.baylor.edu> wrote:

> Btw, this also reminds me of Castle Wolfenstein, remember that? No, not
> the new
> version but the old Apple][ version! Now there was a game!

A classic through and through! The grenades were the best!