Suggestions for improving memory

Matthew Wolfe

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
One aspect of my game which could use improvment is my ability to
remember which cards have been shown (mainly in 7 card stud). Does
anyone have any suggestions of techniques I could practice or for books
or articles which cover the subject?

Dan

Jul 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/9/95
Matthew Wolfe (JMW...@aol.com) wrote:
: One aspect of my game which could use improvment is my ability to
: remember which cards have been shown (mainly in 7 card stud). Does
: anyone have any suggestions of techniques I could practice or for books
: or articles which cover the subject?

Two:

1. Play Gin Rummy. Sounds stupid, but if you take it seriously, you
should be able to remember ranks and suits like crazy. If you play this
game for money, you'll develop the tools you need.

2. Make up names. For example, a 7 card stud play folds TsQs. I say to
myself, "He folded that Cutie in spades." Get it: Q-T? I have many pet
names for sets of 1, 2, and 3 cards. Also I used a memory aid to keep
track of the number of each suit displayed: Since I always play with my
chips sometimes I keep a stack for each suit.

-Dan

Douglas Parvin

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95
Matthew Wolfe <JMW...@aol.com> wrote:

>One aspect of my game which could use improvment is my ability to
>remember which cards have been shown (mainly in 7 card stud). Does
>anyone have any suggestions of techniques I could practice or for books
>or articles which cover the subject?

My advice here comes more from playing bridge, which involves a great
deal of card memorization, than from playing poker (which after
bridge, doesn't seem memory intensive to me).

My advice is: Focus on becoming a better stud player, and the card
memory will come to you. The reason for this is that the unfolding of
each hand will form a clearer narrative in your mind, that you can
recall to get specific cards when necessary. Remembering the sequence
of letters M-E-M-O-R-Y is easier than S-N-Q-E-X-H. A chess player who
reconstructs a position for a post-mortem generally places the pieces
based on his memory of the unfolding of the game, not on a visual
snapshot of the board at that moment. Same goes for cards.

If you are paying attention to every player in every hand, and trying
to figure out the players' strategies and possible holdings, the
particular cards folded will be easy to recall since you thought about
them and what they meant.

Of course, you will have to do some memorization, for hands that fold
on the first round, for example. But I believe that most effort spent
trying to memorize cards is better spent on studying the poker being
played around the table. Attentiveness and thought are the best
memory aids.

Don't buy a book on memorization techniques; buy a book on poker.

Just one guy's thoughts.

-----
Douglas Parvin - do...@texel.com