Hole card slang... what's your favorite?

dealerbuttons.com

Apr 7, 2004, 12:13:29 AM4/7/04
I enjoyed QQ as Sigfried and Roy, and was wondering if anyone out there
had any odd hole card combo names they enjoy. If I'm going to play
against Ivey and the likes, I can't just wait for 2's to quack like a fool!

Let's see if we can do this without reverting to online poker being rigged!

Adam

Posted using RecPoker.com - http://www.recpoker.com

johnnygunz

Apr 7, 2004, 12:23:05 AM4/7/04
I had a professor in college that used to refer to pocket 7's as a pair of
meathooks....i've always liked that for some reason.

Linda K Sherman

Apr 7, 2004, 12:31:54 AM4/7/04
dealerbuttons.com wrote:

> I enjoyed QQ as Sigfried and Roy, and was wondering if anyone out there
> had any odd hole card combo names they enjoy. If I'm going to play
> against Ivey and the likes, I can't just wait for 2's to quack like a fool!

My favorite is "sailboats" (44)

--
Linda K. Sherman
linsherman [atsign] tampabay [stop] rr [stop] com

Bmetz

Apr 7, 2004, 12:39:17 AM4/7/04
I've gotta agree - Sigfried and Roy all the way ;)

- Bmetz
http://www.poker-strategy.org
Home of the Absolute Rake Rebate
-----------------------------------

WillJohnson

Apr 7, 2004, 12:41:59 AM4/7/04
On Apr 6 2004 8:13PM, dealerbuttons.com wrote:

> ... was wondering if anyone out there

> had any odd hole card combo names they enjoy.

I'm going to go with the Jeffery Dahmer (sp. ?) , 8-J (ate jack!)

Chipcastles

Apr 7, 2004, 12:48:36 AM4/7/04
J4- flat tire.

NNG

Fred

Apr 7, 2004, 12:49:41 AM4/7/04
"dealerbuttons.com" <anon...@dealerbuttons.com> wrote in

> I enjoyed QQ as Sigfried and Roy, and was wondering if anyone out
> there had any odd hole card combo names they enjoy. If I'm going to
> play against Ivey and the likes, I can't just wait for 2's to quack
> like a fool!

I always liked JKo being called the bachelor's hand (jacking off). That
replaced as my favorite 99 being called the German virgin (Nein! Nein!).

Fred.

dealerbuttons.com

Apr 7, 2004, 1:19:59 AM4/7/04
Johnny, unrelated to this post, but I have a friend who goes by
jonnytwoguns, who I'm making a custom card protector for with a pair of
crossed revolvers in brass on the front. It's going to be one of my
favorite pieces we've made when I'm finished. If you're interested I'll
shoot you a .JPG...

Adam

merdenoms

Apr 7, 2004, 1:37:36 AM4/7/04
i personally like the mutt (K9) :o

"dealerbuttons.com" <anon...@dealerbuttons.com> wrote in message
> [...]

NotMyRealJob

Apr 7, 2004, 1:41:26 AM4/7/04
Q-3 - the San Francisco busboy (Queen with a tray)

7-3 - the Swedish busboy (Sven with a tray). OK, that one's a bit of a
stretch.

and one I heard too much of in my younger days: any clubs = puppy feet
(gag).

Pokerphile

Apr 7, 2004, 2:00:30 AM4/7/04
Some of my favorites:
Gorillas for KK.
Hockeysticks for 77.
Dimestore for T5.
Baskin-Robbins for 3A.
Crabs for 33.
Motown for J5.
Village People for QQQQ.

"Fred" <no...@none.none> wrote in message

Edward Bird

Apr 7, 2004, 2:44:38 AM4/7/04
There's a list here:

http://www.thepokerforum.com/handnames.htm

My personal favourite is 77 - Mullets

"Chipcastles" <chipc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> J4- flat tire.
>
> NNG

Edward Bird

Apr 7, 2004, 3:25:29 AM4/7/04
There's a list here:

http://www.thepokerforum.com/handnames.htm

My personal favourite is 77 - Mullets.

Dave

Apr 7, 2004, 4:38:29 AM4/7/04
69
"My Favorite Number"

Edward Bird

Apr 7, 2004, 5:27:18 AM4/7/04

> 69
> "My Favorite Number"

- "The Big Lick"

Rich M

Apr 7, 2004, 6:52:24 AM4/7/04
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 04:13:29 GMT, "dealerbuttons.com" wrote:

My favorite is: A-2, Hunting Season (a bullet and a duck)

I also like K-Q, Marriage (from pinochle, if it wins), or Divorce (if
it loses).

I have a database of nearly 400 hand names listed at:
www.holdemsecrets.com/handnames.htm

I just added two more from this discussion. Thanks.

Rich M

Andy

Apr 7, 2004, 7:51:37 AM4/7/04

Dinner for 2!

Aagar

Apr 7, 2004, 8:11:40 AM4/7/04
4c4s "Darth Vader" (dark "force" (fours)).

newsman1

Apr 7, 2004, 9:20:00 AM4/7/04
the best is 88 catnuts.....

Ingemar Svensson

Apr 7, 2004, 9:24:38 AM4/7/04
In swedish I like "banditerna" ("The bandits") for AsAc.

I also like "Darth Vader" (dark fours) for 4s4c

hatchetface

Apr 7, 2004, 9:36:22 AM4/7/04
On Apr 6 2004 11:13PM, dealerbuttons.com wrote:

> I enjoyed QQ as Sigfried and Roy, and was wondering if anyone out there
> had any odd hole card combo names they enjoy. If I'm going to play
> against Ivey and the likes, I can't just wait for 2's to quack like a fool!
>
> Let's see if we can do this without reverting to online poker being rigged!
>
> Adam

9-5 = dolly parton

nothing like some silicon and spackel make-up to get you going, eh.

Rich M

Apr 7, 2004, 9:54:16 AM4/7/04
>the best is 88 catnuts.....

Good one. I need three more, and I will have 400 in my list. In my
spreadsheet, I am now pointing to the first place I saw something
used, either in a book or online. "Catnuts" in RGP on 4/7/04.

My other 8-8s are: Frog Eyes, Hogs, Hognuts, Ochos, Dog Balls, Dawg
Bawls, Infinity and Beyond, Little Oldsmobile, Mighty Wurlitzer,
Racetrack, Snowmen, Two Fat Ladies

Rich M

RobbieC

Apr 7, 2004, 10:21:50 AM4/7/04
Well since J-5 is Mo Town, I always loved my own personal nickname
which is Jermaine for J-4, since J-4 is Mo Town minus Jermaine!

tieds

Apr 7, 2004, 10:33:40 AM4/7/04
AQ - Mrs. Buttersworth
Q2 - Aunt Jemima

Rich M

Apr 7, 2004, 10:47:37 AM4/7/04
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 14:33:40 GMT, "tieds" wrote:

>AQ - Mrs. Buttersworth
>Q2 - Aunt Jemima

Sorry to be dense, but can you explain these?

Rich M

Rich M

Apr 7, 2004, 10:53:03 AM4/7/04
Anybody want to be creative and stake out a claim on the following
hands, which are the only two that remain unclaimed in my database:

J-3
T-6

Edward Bird

Apr 7, 2004, 11:21:11 AM4/7/04

OK these are really piss poor but here goes....

J-3 - Bird Table ( Jay Tray )

T-6 - Arnies worst nightmare???

The Beet Man

Apr 7, 2004, 12:01:36 PM4/7/04
92o - Montana Banana
73o - The Rusty Trombone

--
This post brought to you courtesy of the Beet Man!

The Beet Man

Apr 7, 2004, 12:02:55 PM4/7/04
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004 01:37:36 -0400, "merdenoms" <merd...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>i personally like the mutt (K9) :o

I always liked "Sawmill" for K9o.

The Beet Man

Apr 7, 2004, 12:11:38 PM4/7/04
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:53:03 -0700, Rich M <ri...@holdemsecrets.com>
wrote:

>Anybody want to be creative and stake out a claim on the following
>hands, which are the only two that remain unclaimed in my database:

You don't have anything listed for K5o, which as I pointed out a few
weeks ago, is often called the "Rotten Cowboy." Also I've heard 73o
called the "Rustry Trombone" and I don't see that listed.

Anon

Apr 7, 2004, 12:15:59 PM4/7/04
69

"Dinner for Two"

Rich M

Apr 7, 2004, 1:10:02 PM4/7/04
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 16:11:38 GMT, The Beet Man <bee...@splot.org>
wrote:

>You don't have anything listed for K5o, which as I pointed out a few
>weeks ago, is often called the "Rotten Cowboy." Also I've heard 73o
>called the "Rustry Trombone" and I don't see that listed.

You are right. I have not updated the web recently from my
spreadsheet, waiting to get to 400. Rusty Trombone puts me over the
top, so the new list is posted. Thanks for these contributions.

Visit www.holdemsecrets.com/handnames.htm for all 400.

Can you give me the explanation for Rotten Cowboy and Rusty Trombone?

Rich M

Discordia

Apr 7, 2004, 4:06:47 PM4/7/04
6-9s = Prom Night

M Lindon

Apr 7, 2004, 5:03:56 PM4/7/04
Rich M <ri...@holdemsecrets.com> wrote in message news:<m45870t7ts7nqf4n5...@4ax.com>...

6-T "Stoudemire" Amare Stoudemire 6' 10"
T-6 "Sweet" Sixteen

Jim

Apr 7, 2004, 5:21:52 PM4/7/04

77-Buggy Top's

Jigga

Apr 7, 2004, 5:50:00 PM4/7/04
Rich M <ri...@holdemsecrets.com> wrote in message news:<m45870t7ts7nqf4n5...@4ax.com>...

How about "Jennifer Lopez" for J-3 ---- as in "J-lo", "lo" meaning "low card"?

Am I the biggest tool around or what?

skins

Apr 7, 2004, 6:11:31 PM4/7/04
K-4

Queen Fucking....

Whats a K-4????

* Learn Where & Where NOT to Play at http://www.LiveActionPoker.com

** $30 Free Poker Bankroll at http://www.liveactionpoker.com/free30

A. Prock

Apr 7, 2004, 6:13:27 PM4/7/04
According to dealerbuttons.com <anon...@dealerbuttons.com>:

>I enjoyed QQ as Sigfried and Roy, and was wondering if anyone out there
>had any odd hole card combo names they enjoy. If I'm going to play
>against Ivey and the likes, I can't just wait for 2's to quack like a fool!

My favorite is:

"Pocket Aces"

- Andrew

--
http://www.pokerstove.com

M Lindon

Apr 7, 2004, 9:35:18 PM4/7/04
true...@msn.com (M Lindon) wrote in message news:<d1893726.0404...@posting.google.com>...
T-6 "Sweet" Sixteen, (Should be mumbled with sarcasm as you muck it.)

Benji026

Apr 8, 2004, 12:10:28 AM4/8/04
Don't forget Kinkerbells for KK courtesy of Vince Van Patten.

WillJohnson

Apr 8, 2004, 5:48:46 AM4/8/04
I heard T-Q called "gratitude" (ten-q)

Bill Henderson

Apr 8, 2004, 1:53:32 PM4/8/04

I will give it a shot:
T-6 = Ringwald (as in molly)

This is really computer-geeky, and I am only posting this because you
asked, but the committee responsible for the development and
interpretation of the Programming Language Fortran is called J3, so:
J-3 = Fortran

Also, I am assuming that this is the Rich M from holdemsecrets.com, so if
you have any other information regarding this hand name:
6-2 - Bed & Breakfast (Darts term, aiming for 20s and shooting 20+5+1, 2
shillings and 6 pence being the cost of a B&B)

The explanation brings up more questions than it answers, and a buddy and
I, after quite a bit of laughing, have really been trying to make sense of
that.

- Bill Henderson

Bill Henderson

Apr 8, 2004, 2:23:00 PM4/8/04
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 07:53:03 -0700, Rich M wrote:

I've got one more for you:

6-4 = 'Snoop Doggy Dogg' or just 'Snoop' - As in "rollin in my 6-4" from
Dr. Dre's "Let Me Ride

Rich M

Apr 8, 2004, 5:18:19 PM4/8/04
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:53:32 -0700, Bill Henderson wrote:

>Also, I am assuming that this is the Rich M from holdemsecrets.com, so if
>you have any other information regarding this hand name:
>6-2 - Bed & Breakfast (Darts term, aiming for 20s and shooting 20+5+1, 2
>shillings and 6 pence being the cost of a B&B)

In Darts, I have read that shooting 20-5-1 is called a Bed & Breakfast
because it totals 26, and 2 shillings and 6 pence was the cost of a
B&B. Below is a darts reference:
http://info.sjc.ox.ac.uk/socs/darts/calls.html

In Bingo, 2-6 is also called a Bed & Breakfast because the cost of a
room was half a crown, or 2 shillings and 6 pence. Below are some
bingo references:
http://tinyurl.com/yr6ye

I found Bed & Breakfast on a poker website, but cannot recall which
one. This was before I started tracking the source of the hand names.

I will bump into it again, and I will track the source. In the
meantime, I will attempt to clarify the description.

Rich M

Gary Leddering

Apr 8, 2004, 5:47:30 PM4/8/04
> In Darts, I have read that shooting 20-5-1 is called a Bed & Breakfast
> because it totals 26, and 2 shillings and 6 pence was the cost of a
> B&B. Below is a darts reference:
> http://info.sjc.ox.ac.uk/socs/darts/calls.html
>
> In Bingo, 2-6 is also called a Bed & Breakfast because the cost of a
> room was half a crown, or 2 shillings and 6 pence. Below are some
> bingo references:
> http://tinyurl.com/yr6ye
>
> I found Bed & Breakfast on a poker website, but cannot recall which
> one. This was before I started tracking the source of the hand names.
>
> I will bump into it again, and I will track the source. In the
> meantime, I will attempt to clarify the description.

This is cute and all, but can you stick to poker-related posts please.
Thank you.

Rich M

Apr 8, 2004, 6:51:34 PM4/8/04
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 21:47:30 GMT, "Gary Leddering" wrote:

>This is cute and all, but can you stick to poker-related posts please.
>Thank you.

Gary, Bed & Breakfast is a poker term for 2 & 6 as your hole cards. I
was attempting to explain the origins of this term, that it comes from
darts, and is also used in bingo.

Several hole card slang terms (which is the subject of this thread)
come from other games, such as Marriage, which comes from pinochle,
and Presto, which has it's origins in blackjack.

My apologies if this was not clear in my post.

Rich M

The Beet Man

Apr 9, 2004, 2:38:37 AM4/9/04
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:10:02 -0700, Rich M <ri...@holdemsecrets.com>
wrote:

>Can you give me the explanation for Rotten Cowboy and Rusty Trombone?

K5o is called the Rotten Cowboy because people who try peeking at the
corners of the card have been known to misread the 5 as a K.
Similarly, I've heard A4o called "Crashing Airlines" for the same
reason (they misread the 4 as an A.) How someone misreads these, I
don't know, I've certainly never misread A4 or K5 for AA or KK, but
that's the story.

I don't know why 73o is called the Rusty Trombone.

Jay

Apr 9, 2004, 7:41:31 AM4/9/04
My friends and I call A9s "driving the truck". See rounders for explanation.