"Vegetarians"???

Jessica R. Shawl

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Hi-

I'm curious what you do when you encounter a friend,
family member, whoever who claims to be a "vegetarian
who eats fish". It *really* bothers me when this happens
because it contributes to the assumption that I eat
fish and I don't, because I am a vegetarian. I feel like
it gives all vegetarians a bad name.

Do you correct them? Do you not bother? And how do
you correct them? I was thinking that saying something
like "oh, you mean your a pescetarian" would be ok and
give them the appropriate term. Speaking of which, how
is "pescetarian" pronounced?

Thanks!

Jessica

Rik Ahlberg

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
In article <36FBD2DB...@scdt.intel.com>, Jessica R. Shawl

Jessica, at least a "vegetarian who eats fish" isn't as bad as a
"vegetarian pizza" with should, by name, have bits of vegetarians all
over it!

-Rik

Crisalis3

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
"Jessica R. Shawl" <jsh...@scdt.intel.com> wrote:

>Hi-

> I'm curious what you do when you encounter a friend,
>family member, whoever who claims to be a "vegetarian
>who eats fish". It *really* bothers me when this happens
>because it contributes to the assumption that I eat
>fish and I don't, because I am a vegetarian. I feel like
>it gives all vegetarians a bad name.
>
> Do you correct them? Do you not bother? And how do
>you correct them? I was thinking that saying something
>like "oh, you mean your a pescetarian" would be ok and
>give them the appropriate term....
<snip>

Hi!

I used to respond with, "Oh, *I* don't eat anything with
eyes", but then you get the "potato" jokes. For a while I
would respond, "Oh, *I* don't eat anything would fight to
get away if I caught it", but a friend of mine came up with a
better retort:

"Oh, *I'm* the kind of vegetarian who doesn't eat
anything that defecates."
{lol}

``Cris`` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Cris...@aol.com
* agc's Good Sam Spice: Never underestimate the ^^^^^^^^^
power of words to heal, the power of words to harm. ^^^^^^^
*** REMOVE 'etHalley' TO REPLY. ***

Neil

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
You could always say you've never seen a fish growing in a crop before so
since when has it been a vegetable, or you don't eat anything that has a
face.
Jessica R. Shawl wrote in message <36FBD2DB...@scdt.intel.com>...

>Hi-
>
> I'm curious what you do when you encounter a friend,
>family member, whoever who claims to be a "vegetarian
>who eats fish". It *really* bothers me when this happens
>because it contributes to the assumption that I eat
>fish and I don't, because I am a vegetarian. I feel like
>it gives all vegetarians a bad name.
>
> Do you correct them? Do you not bother? And how do
>you correct them? I was thinking that saying something
>like "oh, you mean your a pescetarian" would be ok and

a. williams

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99
Our dorm cafeteria had New England Clam Chowder today and labled it [v]
which is their symbol for no meat. If they have fake meat they lable it
that, but I think that this is just misleading. The first meat I stopped
eating was seafood. P.S. I just fully stopped eating meat yesterday.
This has almost nothing to do with ethics, I just started getting sick
whenever I ate meat, because I would think where it came from, yesterday I
could not bring myself to eat any meat whatsoever.

:) Andy

Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself.

- Jean-Paul Sartre

...Faith begins precisely there where thinking leaves off.

Duty is precisely the expression for God's will. * *

* *
In the world of spirit, no swindling is tolerated. * *
*******
- Soren Kierkegaard

That which is done out of love exists beyond Good and Evil.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Cynthia S. Smith

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
Jessica R. Shawl wrote:

> Do you correct them? Do you not bother? And how do
> you correct them? I was thinking that saying something
> like "oh, you mean your a pescetarian" would be ok and
> give them the appropriate term. Speaking of which, how
> is "pescetarian" pronounced?

You should correct them and simply explain that a vegetarian is one who
does not eat animal flesh (or whatever your definition is). And tell
these people that a person who eats fish in addition to a vegetarian
diet is a pescetarian or pesco-vegetarian (maybe a not-so-great word?)

Cyn

--
>-)))"> >-}}}"> >-]]]"> >-|||">

http://www.stud.ifi.uio.no/~cynthias
IsFugl@IRC --- cs...@cornell.edu

phil...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
Yeah, I know what you mean, I've heard that a lot. "I'm vegetarian and I eat
fish!" Yeah...right.

Not only that-- I've met plenty of people who claim to be vegetarian when they
were really CHICKEtarian!!!

In article <36FBD2DB...@scdt.intel.com>,

"Jessica R. Shawl" <jsh...@scdt.intel.com> wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm curious what you do when you encounter a friend,
> family member, whoever who claims to be a "vegetarian
> who eats fish". It *really* bothers me when this happens
> because it contributes to the assumption that I eat
> fish and I don't, because I am a vegetarian. I feel like
> it gives all vegetarians a bad name.
>

> Do you correct them? Do you not bother? And how do
> you correct them? I was thinking that saying something
> like "oh, you mean your a pescetarian" would be ok and
> give them the appropriate term. Speaking of which, how
> is "pescetarian" pronounced?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Jessica

focus

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
Using the term "pescetarian" is likely to confuse people even more.
You can tell them that since vegetarians, by definition, do not eat dead
animals, they are semi-vegetarian.

focus

Cara

Mar 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/29/99
On a similar note...

I selected semi-vegetarianism due to the health benifits of a better
diet. I have been unable to part with seafood however, and have
consistently referred to myself as "semi-vegetarian". I seem to get a
lot of confused looks, and disdainful looks from both extremes. I am
not really a true vegetarian, so undeserving of the title, yet thought
to be a "semi food nazi" by my meat eating friends.

I am kind of neither. I just wanna live longer and not imagine what
my dinner went through en route to my plate. I tend to avoid alot of
processed food altogether, although refined sugar is still a vice I
cannot seem to part with. :)

Michelle Dick

Mar 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/30/99
In article <7dn676$bgc$1...@nnrp03.primenet.com>,
Cara <iama...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On a similar note [about fish eaters claiming to be vegetarian]...

>I selected semi-vegetarianism due to the health benifits of a better
>diet. I have been unable to part with seafood however, and have
>consistently referred to myself as "semi-vegetarian".

Excellent!

Semi-vegetarian is one of the best terms for such a diet. It makes it
clear that you aren't claiming to be vegetarian. "Almost vegetarian"
or "near vegetarian" are good too.

I also am currently semi-vegetarian (for the past year) after 3 years
previous of being lacto-ovo-vegetarian. Though, I often go weeks at a
time without fish and sometimes weeks without egg or dairy products (I
do not bring eggs, dairy, fish, or meat products into my house
currently; and I use fruitsource instead of honey at home). If soy
and flax products were more plentiful in restaurants, I'd probably be
pure vegetarian.

One advantage of being semi-vegetarian is that you can then easily
correct those who mistakenly think they can be vegetarian and eat
fish. "Oh, you mean you are SEMI-vegetarian. I eat that way too.
Since vegetarians don't eat fish and I do sometimes, I don't use the
term vegetarian because it is inaccurate and misleads people." It is
harder to correct people as a vegetarian -- when I was vegetarian I
used to say something like "oh, you're semi-vegetarian" and just leave
it at that, no explanation unless it seemed comfortable to discuss it.

--
Michelle Dick art...@rahul.net East Palo Alto, CA
For thousands of low fat vegetarian and vegan recipes, visit:

AmGoth

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
so, are you sticking to no meat?

Joe Bevilacqua

Apr 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/18/99
Yes. Have for four years. Feel great. Healthier than ever before. Would
never go back.

AmGoth <amg...@aol.com> wrote in message