dutch oven bread

dan w

Mar 13, 2006, 11:51:55 AM3/13/06
howdy all,

since camping season is coming, i have been spending time trying to perfect
my camping bread recipe. in the process i found that the quality of the
bread was so good, i have been using it inside my oven. the bread comes out
very soft and medium sour. here are the pics:
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1625862

i have been making the dough at 70% hydration, first stage is 100g 13% bread
flour, second is 200g 13% bread flour, stretch and fold 4 times 45 min
apart, shape and put on parchment and transfer to dutch oven for final rise.
allow to rise as long as possible. preheat oven to 450, slash and bake 45
min with lid on. remove loaf and check temp for 200f. if crust is too
light remove bread from dutch oven and put in oven for 10 min to brown.

this bread turns out extremely soft, much like soft white store bought
bread. the taste is very good with a very airy texture.

dan w

Gary Taylor

Mar 13, 2006, 2:57:34 PM3/13/06
Hello all,

I'm mostly a lurker here but I did give my dutch oven a practice run
recently using my kitchen oven. I usually bake sourdough like this using a
pizza stone and a ceramic cover. I was suppressed at how little difference
there was between the two. I like Dan would like to do this while camping.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b131/gt651/Picture472.jpg

Gary

"dan w" <da...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Dusty Bleher

Mar 13, 2006, 6:10:34 PM3/13/06
Hello Gary & all;

"Gary Taylor" <gtayl...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I'm mostly a lurker here but I did give my dutch oven a practice
> run recently using my kitchen oven. I usually bake sourdough like
> this using a pizza stone and a ceramic cover. I was suppressed at
> how little difference there was between the two. I like Dan would
> like to do this while camping.

I, perhaps unlike my friend Dan (?), have already baked while
camping.

I usually use my barbeque (gas, with closable lid), I just guess at
the temperature, but it still makes a pretty decent oven. Of
course, those that can only bake using upwards of 2.5 tons of rocks,
tiles, or stones won't be able to use it...nor will those that have
to pre-heat to near the melting point of lead (~650F)...(:-o)!

I've also had excellent successes making mud/stone in-ground ovens
and baking in them. And, yes. Those used stones...(:-o{})! I had
not yet thought to use a Dutch oven...but may give that a shot given
the positive comments I've been reading here...

L8r all,
Dusty

dan w

Mar 13, 2006, 9:06:21 PM3/13/06
nice looking loaf gary- for camping i just switch the dutch oven to go into
my bbq. i've noticed that having a flat cast iron on top of the grill, then
putting the dutch oven on top of that will diffuse the heat better, also i
use a lower temp, about 350ş.

dan w

dan w

Mar 13, 2006, 9:12:52 PM3/13/06

"Dusty Bleher" <bake...@innerREMOVETHISlodge.com> wrote in message

> I, perhaps unlike my friend Dan (?)

absolutly(!)

>, have already baked while camping.
> I usually use my barbeque (gas, with closable lid), I just guess at
> the temperature, but it still makes a pretty decent oven.

i also tried that dusty, however the bottom gets over done and the top is
under done. by using the dutch oven (cast iron only) i have gotten better
results.

>Of course, those that can only bake using upwards of 2.5 tons of rocks,
> tiles, or stones won't be able to use it...nor will those that have
> to pre-heat to near the melting point of lead (~650F)...(:-o)!
>
> I've also had excellent successes making mud/stone in-ground ovens
> and baking in them. And, yes. Those used stones...(:-o{})! I had
> not yet thought to use a Dutch oven...but may give that a shot given
> the positive comments I've been reading here...

i would be very interested in how it works for you dusty.

dan w

Gary Taylor

Mar 13, 2006, 9:28:00 PM3/13/06
Yes Dan, I suppose setting on another flat cast iron piece would help level
out the heat. I plan to bake this summer using charcoal which I'm sure will
take some experimenting. I set the oven to 425F on one loaf and the bottom
burned a little so I used 400F for the loaf in the picture. Just have to
get the right amount of charcoal on the top and bottom.

> nice looking loaf gary- for camping i just switch the dutch oven to go
> into
> my bbq. i've noticed that having a flat cast iron on top of the grill,
> then
> putting the dutch oven on top of that will diffuse the heat better, also i

> use a lower temp, about 350º.

crust...@yahoo.co.uk

Mar 14, 2006, 6:15:21 AM3/14/06

.
> I, perhaps unlike my friend Dan (?), have lost my sense of decency
>
> I usually use my sarcasm (gas, with opposable dig), I just guess at
> the which snide comments will hurt and annoy the most. Of

> course, those that can only bake using upwards of 2.5 tons of rocks,
> tiles, or stones won't be able to fight back...nor will those that have
> too polite a demeanour but their blood pressure and temperature will
> approach close to near the melting point of lead (~650F)...(:-o)! Oh I'm so
> Hilariously sarcastic and f***ed up! (:-o)!
> I've also had excellent successes making mud stick to poor unsuspecting folk
> and baking them. And, yes I am a f***ed up stone age fossil...(:-o})! I had
> not yet thought to abuse a Dutch oven...but may give that a cheap shot given

> the positive comments I've been reading here...
>

> Fu all,
> Dusty

dan w

Mar 14, 2006, 10:56:18 AM3/14/06

<crust...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

i still count myself as a newbie, but wouldn't the above (satire?)comment
qualify for troll status?

dan w

TG

Mar 14, 2006, 11:58:10 AM3/14/06

dan w wrote:

> i still count myself as a newbie, but wouldn't the above (satire?)comment
> qualify for troll status?
>
> dan w

Hello Dan,

Why not decide for yourself http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
rather than allowing your thread to be hijacked by someone trying to
annoy others in a snide manner.

TG

Dusty Bleher

Mar 14, 2006, 12:27:19 PM3/14/06
FWIW; *I* DID NOT write the preceding post...

For those bereft of any humor; *I* was being somewhat
'tongue-in-cheek' but clearly noted so with my smilies... Who ever
subverted my post, you must know what a dick you are in real
live...if you had one...

Dusty
San Jose, Ca.

"dan w" <da...@comcast.net> wrote in message

TG

Mar 14, 2006, 1:43:10 PM3/14/06

> For those bereft of any humor; *I* was being somewhat
> 'tongue-in-cheek' but clearly noted so with my smilies... Who ever
> subverted my post, you must know what a dick you are in real
> live...if you had one...

Perhaps the smiles were seen as sardonic? ; -)
TG

Dusty Bleher

Mar 14, 2006, 5:40:57 PM3/14/06
Hello Dan & all;

>> I usually use my barbeque (gas, with closable lid), I just guess
>> at
>> the temperature, but it still makes a pretty decent oven.
>
> i also tried that dusty, however the bottom gets over done and the
> top is
> under done. by using the dutch oven (cast iron only) i have
> gotten better
> results.
Yep. That would make sense. Can you tell me a bit about the kind
of gas oven you were using? In particular, the number of burners
and the internal size?

I haven't had an opportunity to do that yet, this year. The one I
had last year was a Weber Genesis, and it had three, lengthwise,
burners (I used the outer two). The one I have today is also a
Weber, but it has three cross-wise burners. I may well have to
adopt a plate (or Dutch oven) as you did to bake in that...

>>Of course, those that can only bake using upwards of 2.5 tons of
>>rocks,
>> tiles, or stones won't be able to use it...nor will those that
>> have
>> to pre-heat to near the melting point of lead (~650F)...(:-o)!

[the preceding lines left in so the dipstick that used to masquerade
here as "jimbob" can get another shot at dissin' me (helps me build
up our database of USENET's losers)...]

> i would be very interested in how it works for you dusty.

I may get a chance to try that out, RSN... I'll let you all
know--and thanks the for Dutch oven tip, Dan.

L8r all,
Dusty

Dusty Bleher

Mar 14, 2006, 5:56:43 PM3/14/06
Hi Dan!

"dan w" <da...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> <crust...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Dusty Bleher wrote:

No I didn't! A prototypical USENET coward and spineless scum-sucker
raises his festering IQ pit as if it had merit. It's no big deal,
USENET's full of 'em. Like cockroaches, they carry on like they're
real but scurry and hide as soon as you shine a little light on
'em...

>> > Hello Gary & all;

But not to worry. The dipstick that wrote that in my stead has been
on a short list of candidates for some time now.

> i still count myself as a newbie, but wouldn't the above
> (satire?)comment

Don't. Self-defined newbie or not, you're doing just fine my
friend...

> qualify for troll status?
Indeed s/h/it does. It's amazing what insights a little header
analysis can provide...

Gotta go...got bread to finish...

L8r all,
Dusty
San Jose

> dan w

dan w

Mar 14, 2006, 7:26:41 PM3/14/06

> Hello Dan & all;
> >> I usually use my barbeque (gas, with closable lid), I just guess
> >> at
> >> the temperature, but it still makes a pretty decent oven.
> >
> > i also tried that dusty, however the bottom gets over done and the
> > top is
> > under done. by using the dutch oven (cast iron only) i have
> > gotten better
> > results.
> Yep. That would make sense. Can you tell me a bit about the kind
> of gas oven you were using? In particular, the number of burners
> and the internal size?

two types - one is hooked into my main natural gas from my house and looks
like: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1627124 and has
four burners verticle, dementions are 31" wide X 19" deep X 11" tall
the other is my portable (lp gas) grill - it is a webber "q" grill with one
loop burner: http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=1627125
dementions are approx- 21" X 11" X 10"

> L8r all,
> Dusty

crust...@yahoo.co.uk

Mar 15, 2006, 5:09:59 AM3/15/06

Dusty Bleher wrote:
> FWIW; *I* DID NOT write the preceding post...
>
> For those bereft of any humor; *I* was being somewhat
> 'tongue-in-cheek' but clearly noted so with my smilies... Who ever
> subverted my post, you must know what a dick you are in real
> live...if you had one...
>

> Dusty
> San Jose, Ca.
I wuz just having a little fun & pokin' ya 'bout that! Lost your sense
of humour? It wuz just a bit of satire. Just think you're up there with
the greats Ferenc Szálasi, Corneliu Zelea Codreanu, José Antonio
Primo de Rivera, Miguel Primo de Rivera, Engelbert Dollfuss, Nathan
Bedford Forrest. What are you going to do. Spray me with DDT. Oh no,
you think that doesn't do anyone any harm. And if you think it does you
must me a nut job or a waist of space. Like the good people of this
world like that guy you think was a waist of time. You know that Civil
rights protestor. No you'd probably prefer me to be tied to the back
of a care and dragged through the streets til my head pops off.

Crust E

dan w

Mar 16, 2006, 2:10:49 AM3/16/06

<crust...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message

Crust E

stop drinkin when you post please.

dam w

nancy

Mar 16, 2006, 3:26:06 PM3/16/06
Gary & Dan both of your breads look great.... will have to try dutch
oven one of these days... :-) nancy