Swedish Breads

Joel Ehrlich

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96

Responding to: "Steven E. Kornberg, M.D." <DrSt...@ix.netcom.com>

SK> For a local cooking club in New Jersey, we need a recipe for a bread
SK> from Scandinavian countries, which is the theme of the next group. I am
SK> new to this group, and to internet in general, so please forgive any
SK> malapropisms or other gauche moves on my part. We really could use some
SK> help, though. Please post response and e-mail copy to me.

Here are a pair which might be of interest...

Swedish Rye Bread No. 1246 Yields 2 Loves

1 1/2 Cups Warm Water 2/3 Cup Raisins, Chopped
2 Pkgs Active Dry Yeast 2 1/2 Cups Rye Flour, Finely
1/2 Cup Molasses Milled
1/3 Cup Sugar 2 Tbls Butter, Softened
1 Tbls Salt 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour,
2 Tbls Orange Rind, Grated Sifted
1 Tbls Fennel Seed
1 Tbls Anise Seed

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Dissolve the yeast in the warm (105 degrees-115 degrees) water in a large
mixing bowl.
Let the yeast rest 3 to 5 minutes.
Add the molasses, sugar, salt, grated orange rind, fennel seed, anise seed and
chopped raisins.
Stir in the rye flour and the softened butter.
Beat these ingredients together until smooth.
Add the sifted all-purpose flour.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board.
Knead until the dough is smooth, elastic and satiny (about 10 minutes or so),
adding flour as needed to prevent sticking and to improve the texture of the
dough (you may add as much as 1/4 cup of additional flour per loaf as
required.
Grease a large bowl and turn the dough into it.
Turn the dough in the bowl so that all sides of the dough are covered with
grease.
Cover the bowl and allow the dough to rise until doubled in bulk.
Turn the dough out onto a baking sheet lightly floured with cornmeal.
Punch the dough down and separate into equal parts.
Form each part into an oval and cover with a cloth.
Allow to rise until almost doubled in bulk.
Make four 1/4 " deep diagonal slashes in the tops of the loaves.
Bake until tapping on the bottom of the loaf produces a hollow sound (30-35
minutes).
Remove from the baking sheet and cool on a wire rack.
Allow the bread to cool completely before wrapping.

Swedish Limpa Bread No. 1990 Yields 2 Loaves

2 1/2 Cups Warm Water 2 Tbls Orange Peel, Grated
2 Pkg Active Dry Yeast 1 tsp Anise Seed
1 Tbls Salt 4 Cups Rye Flour
1/4 Cup Molasses 4 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar, - Cornmeal
Packed 2 Tbls Butter, Melted
1/4 Cup Butter, Softened

Make sure the warm water is between 105 degrees and 115 degrees.
Put the warm water in a large bowl.
Sprinkle the yeast over.
Stir until the yeast is dissolved.
Add the salt, molasses, brown sugar, first measure of butter, orange peel,
anise seed and rye flour.
Gradually add the all purpose flour.
Mix in by hand until the dough leaves the side of the bowl (this dough will be
stiff).
Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth or board (use all purpose flour
to flour the board or cloth).
Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
Place in a lightly greased bowl.
Turn dough to bring the greased side up.
Cover with a towel.
Let rise in a warm (85 degrees) place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk
(about 1 1/2 hours).
Grease a large cookie sheet.
Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal.
Punch the dough down.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth or board.
Divide into as many parts as you are making loaves.
Shape each into a smooth ball 6" in diameter.
Tuck the edges under.
Place on the cookie sheet with lots of room between.
Form into ovals, 8" long with tapering ends.
Use a sharp knife to cut 3 diagonal slashes on the top of the loaf, each about
1/4 " deep.
Cover with a towel.
Let rise in a warm, draft free location until doubled in bulk (1-1 1/2 hours).
Bake on the middle shelf for 30 to 35 minutes.
Cover with aluminum foil during the last 10 minutes.
Remove to a rack.
Brush with melted butter.
Serve slightly warm.

Joel

--- Blue Wave/Max v2.21
--
rec.food.recipes is a moderated newsgroup; only recipes are accepted for
Please allow two to five days for your submission to appear.