MEAT: Suan la chow show (Hot and Sour Wontons)

Clifford Neuman

Apr 30, 1990, 3:37:03 PM4/30/90

From: joe...@eng.umd.edu (Joseph Orso)
Subject: REQUEST: Suan La Chow Show
Date: 23 Apr 90 19:25:56 GMT

Ever since leaving Boston, I've been searching for the recipe
to Suan La Chow Show, a spicy wonton soup with alfalfa sprouts.
It was served at a couple of Chinese restaurants in Cambridge.
It's goooood!

Here is what I have been able to come up with through experimentation.
I haven't quite duplicated that from Mary Chung's (one of the
restaraunts I expect you tried in Cambridge) but I think this is
close.

Suan la chow show (Hot and sour wontons)

For each bowl:

Beansprouts
15-20 Wontons (I suggest the recipe in Mrs. Chiangs Szechuan Cookbook)
1 Scalion (chopped)

Sauce:
1/16 tsp Garlic powder
1 tbsp Soy sauce
2 tsp Rice vinegar
1/16 tsp Salt
1+1/2 tsp Hot pepper flakes in oil (1:1)

Mix the inredients in the sauce. Place a bed of beansprouts in the
bottom of a bowl. Add 15-20 wontons. Pour the sauce over the
wontons. Sprinkle with the chopped scalions.

PS: If anyone has been able to duplicate the rav sauce from Mary
Chung's let me know. I haven't been able to get it right.