Manicotti Calamari

Mary Filmore

May 13, 2001, 5:52:11 PM5/13/01
Once I found squid in the store for an amazingly low price. In order to
disguise it (since my kids wouldn't eat anything with tentacles) I minced it
in tiny pieces and hid it in marinara sauce. It was fabulous! I took a
standard recipe and added the squid to the sauce to make a special dish. So
yummy.

Manicotti Calamari

box of 12 manicotti tubes
1 lb ricotta
4 oz mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1 egg
2 Tbsp Italian parsley, minced
1 clove garlic, finely minced or put through a press
fresh basil and oregano
salt
pepper
3 cups marinara sauce
1 lb squid
1 Tbsp olive oil

Clean squid, remove the hard parts. Cut in fine pieces. Saute in oil with
garlic until barely cooked. Add marinara sauce. Add fresh basil and oregano.
Simmer a few minutes. Cook the manicotti or large shells. Mix the ricotta
with the egg, parsley, salt, pepper, half the mozzarella and half the
Parmesan cheese. Stuff the manicotti using 1/2 cup filling in each. Place
in a baking pan (sprayed with PAM) as you fill each one. Pour the sauce in
a ribbon down the middle of the manicotti. If you are using shells. I think
it looks prettier to put the sauce in the bottom of the pan with the shells
on the top of the sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over the top. Bake 30
minutes or until the egg and cheese firms up and the sauce is bubbling.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the FAQ posted each week. Please