Cold Peanut Sesame Noodles

1 view

Mary Filmore

May 10, 2001, 10:53:12 PM5/10/01
Cold Peanut Sesame Noodles

2-3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp rice vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 Tbsp brown or white sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 Tbsp Oriental sesame oil
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup dark Chinese tea
1-3 tsp Lee Kum Yee red Chili Garlic Sauce
1 lb linguine
2 cups finely chopped cucumber, scallions and carrot shreds
coarsely chopped peanuts

Cook the linguine until al dente. Drain and run under cold water.
Mix the soy sauce, vinegar and sugar. Add the peanut butter. It is easier to
mix the liquid into the peanut butter if you warm it a little in the microwave..
Whisk it together to form a smooth paste. Slowly whisk in the tea until the
sauce is the consistency of whipping cream. Add sesame oil and chili sauce to
taste. Toss together with noodles and vegetables. Serve at room temperature.
Garnish with chopped scallions, sesame seeds, chopped peanuts and carrot curls.

My notes: I use dark soy sauce since it has more caramel color and less salt.
I prefer to use the extra crunchy peanut butter. As you mix the tea into the
peanut butter, it helps if the temperature is not too high. If either of them
are too much above room temperature, it is difficult to tell if the dressing is
the right consistency. Too thick and there is a gummy peanut coating over the
noodles and if it is too thin, the dressing runs off. I use white sugar. If you
can't find the chili garlic sauce, use the hot chili flakes like you find in a
pizza place and a little garlic powder.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the FAQ posted each week. Please