Collection (6) Lactose Free Desserts

Helen Watson

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Barnstaple Fair Pears
Figgy Apples
Summer Pudding and Autumn Pudding
Watermelon with Honey
Harvest Fruit Saute
Citrus Pancakes

>From: "Michael Walters" <mwalter...@alltel.net>
>Anyone have some Lactose Free recipes they can share with me? I need
>recipes with no milk or dairy products that I can serve. Thanks

Barnstaple Fair Pears
By: Dairy Book of British Food
Yield: 4 servings

4 large Comice pears; peeled, stalks left on
25 g blanched almonds; split in half
50 g caster sugar
300 ml red wine
2 cloves

Spike the pears with the almond halves.

Put the sugar, wine and cloves in a saucepan just large enough to hold the
pears and heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Add the pears,
standing them upright in the pan, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, until
the pears are tender, basting them from time to time with the liquid.

Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a serving dish. remove the
lid from the pan of syrup, increase the heat and boil fast until the liquid
is reduced by half. Pour over the pears and serve hot or cold.

Figgy Apples
By: 1000 Healthy Eating Recipes
Yield: 4 servings

4 large cooking apples
1 tablespoon clear honey
75 g dried figs; chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 tablespoons apple juice

Remove the cores of the apples, making a large hole for the stuffing. Make
a shallow cut round the middle of each apple. Place the honey, figs and
lemon juice in a small pan and heat gently, stirring, until well blended.
Use to fill the apple cavities, pressing down firmly.
Place the apples in an ovenproof dish and pour over the apple juice. Bake
in a preheated oven at 180 C / 350 F / Gas 4 for 45-55 minutes until soft.
Serve hot.

Summer Pudding and Autumn Pudding
By: Dairy Book of Home Cookery New Edition for the 90s
Yield: 4-6 servings

700 g fruit *; prepared
5 tablespoons water
6-8 large slices bread; crusts removed
110 g sugar
fresh fruit and mint sprigs; to decorate

* Fruit for Summer Pudding is typically a mixture of some or all of the
following: raspberries, strawberries, stoned cherries, redcurrants,
blackcurrants, gooseberries, rhubarb.

For Autumn Pudding use a mixture of fruits such as apples, blackberries,
plums and pears.
Gently stew the fruit in the water and sugar until soft but still retaining
their shape.
Meanwhile, cut a round from one slice of bread to neatly fit in the bottom
of a 1.1 litre (2 pint) pudding basin and cut 4-6 of the remaining slices
into neat fingers. Arrange the fingers around the sides overlapping them
so there are no spaces.
When the fruit is cooked, and still hot, pour it gently in the basin, being
careful not to disturb the bread pieces. Reserve about 3 tablespoons of
the juice. When the basin is full, Cut the remaining bread and use to
cover the fruit, to form a lid.
Cover with foil, then a plate or saucer which fits just inside the bowl and
put a weight on top. Leave the pudding until cold, then put into the
refrigerator and chill overnight.
To serve, carefully run a knife round the edge to loosen, then invert the
pudding on to a serving dish. Pour the reserved juice over the top. Serve
cold. Decorate with fruit and mint sprigs.

Watermelon with Honey
By: 1000 Healthy Eating Recipes
Yield: 4 servings

1 small watermelon
2 tablespoons clear honey
1/2 lemon; juice only
2 tablespoons sherry
25 g flaked almonds; roasted

Scoop out the flesh of the watermelon, discarding the seeds, and cut into
cubes. Mix together the honey, lemon juice and sherry, then fold in the
melon. Chill for 1 hour. Spoon into glasses and sprinkle with the almonds
to serve.

Harvest Fruit Saute
By: Dairy Diary 1998
Yield: 4 servings

75 g butter
8 plums; stoned and quartered
2 dessert apples; cored, cut into wedges
2 oranges; peeled and segmented
4 tablespoons soft light brown sugar
3-4 tablespoons Calvados

Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the plums and apples. Cook for 3
minutes then add the oranges and sugar. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
Warm the Calvados, pour over the fruit and light with a match.

Allow the flames to die down and serve at once.

Citrus Pancakes
By: Dairy Diary 1999
Yield: 4 servings

110 g plain flour
25 g caster sugar
2 eggs; lightly beaten
200 ml orange juice
1 small orange; zest only
oil; for frying
SAUCE:
150 ml orange juice
1 lemon; zest and juice
1 lime; zest and juice
2 tablespoons caster sugar

Blend the flour, sugar, eggs and orange juice until thoroughly
mixed. Stir in the orange zest. Cover and leave for 30 minutes.

To make the sauce. Stir the cornflour into the orange juice and pour into
a small saucepan. Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2
minutes.
Fry 2 tablespoons of batter in a little of the oil. Cook on both sides.
Serve the pancakes immediately, with the sauce drizzled over the top.

Helen Watson
Lots of recipes at http://www.hwatson.force9.co.uk

~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are accepted
for posting. Please read the FAQ posted on Mondays. Recipes/requests
go to rec...@rt66.com; questions/comments to tfdp...@acpub.duke.edu.