Banana Jam (6) Collection

Mary Filmore

May 10, 2001, 11:00:44 PM5/10/01

Banana Ginger Jam
Raisin Date and Banana Jam
Banana Marmalade
Banana Jam

There are two types of banana jam. One type is real jam with sugar and pectin
that is put up in jars and processed in a water bath. The other type, which I
have been making more and more lately is just a thick banana mush with a little
seasoning. It must be kept in the refrigerator and after a couple of weeks (if
you don't gobble it up) it will turn into a science experiment.

I make it differently each time bacause I make it from the bananas which get so
ripe my family won't eat them. Since I had the happy combination of over-ripe
bananas just as I wanted to post the recipe, I made some this morning. I like a
lot of ginger flavor so I used 3 Tbsp. You might want to try less at first. This
morning I cooked it up in a pan on the stove before I put it in the crockpot.
That shortens the crock pot time to about three hours. Here are the proportions

Banana Ginger Jam

6 ripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
pinch of allspice
pinch of cloves
1/4 cup unsalted butter ( this adds a lovely silken taste)
2/3 cup citrus juice (today it was 1 lime and the rest orange juice)

Slice the bananas into a crockpot. Add the other ingredients and mix. You can
use a potato masher if you like a smoother jam. Cook at least six hours and
spoon into jars. Keep in the refrigerator.

Raisin, Date and Banana Jam

1/2 lb (1 1/2 cups) dried apricots
1 lb (2 2/3 cups) raisins
1 Lb dates
3 cups sliced bananas
4 Lb (10 2/3 cups) sugar

Chop the apricots into quarters. Place raisins and apricots in water to cover
and soak overnight. A shortcut is to microwave them until the water is nearly
boiling. Then remove from the microwave and let stand until cool. Pit and chop
the dates. Slice the bananas. Put all fruit and the soaking water in a large
heavy pot and bring to a boil. Simmer 15 minutes. Add sugar and cook over
moderates hear, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat.
Bring to a boil and cook until the setting point is reached. Put into hot, clean
jars. Cap and process. Complete seals and cool This recipe was copied out of a
friend's British cookbook.

Banana Marmalade

4 lemons
3 21/3 lb bananas
1/2 lb (1 1/2 cups) dried figs
1 cups water
3 lb (8 cups) sugar

Cut the lemons into very thin shreds using a mandoline. Capture all the juice.
Place the lemons and water in a small pot and cook until the lemons are very
soft.. Chop the figs. Pour the lemons and water over the figs and let stand
overnight. The next day slice the bananas. Put everything in a big heavy pot
and bring to a boil. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved, them bring to a boil
and cook about 10 minutes, stirring, until the setting point is reached. Put
into hot, clean jars. Cap and process. Complete seals and cool This recipe was
copied out of a friend's British cookbook.

Banana Jam

12 cups sliced bananas (about 20 medium)
6 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups orange juice
3 strips orange peel
6 strips lemon peel
2 sticks cinnamon
6 whole cloves

In a large kettle, combine sliced bananas with sugar, orange juice, orange and
lemon peels, cinnamon and cloves. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
Boil rapidly 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until
thickened, about 15-20 minutes. When jam is thick, remove from heat and ladle
immediately into sterilized canning jars. Fill to within 1/8-inch of the top.
Screw caps on evenly and tightly. Invert for few seconds, then stand jars
upright to cool. If jam is to be stored for long period, place jars on a rack in
large kettle and cover with boiling water. Boil 10 to 15 minutes to sterilize.
Remove from water and cool. Makes about 5 pints LA Times - Culinary S.O.S.

Banana Jam

2 1/4 lb Bananas, peeled weight
3 1/4 cup Sugar
1 Lemon
1/2 cup Water

Boil the sugar and water in a large, heavy saucepan for 3-4 minutes. Sieve the
peeled bananas into a large bowl containing the lemon juice. Mix quickly and
then add to the sugar syrup in the pan while it is still hot. Time is of the
essence if the bananas are not to discolour. Boil the jam gently, stirring all
the time as it can stick and burn very easily. As soon as the jam has thickened
sufficiently, pour it into warmed jars and sprinkle a pinch of extra sugar on
the surface of the hot jam before sealing tightly and sterilizing for about 10
minutes. Keep in a cool, dark place.

Banana Jam

5 ripe bananas
3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
2/3 cup fresh orange juice or water
1 1/2 cup sugar
1/2 vanilla bean split in half Lengthwise and cut into 1/3s
1/8 tsp Salt
1 Tbsp Banana liqueur (optional)

Peel the bananas and thinly slice or mash with a fork. Place the bananas in a
heavy saucepan with the lime juice, orange juice, sugar, vanilla bean and salt,
and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently simmer the banana jam until
thick, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the banana liqueur and remove
the pan from the heat. Leave the vanilla bean in the jam - it's pretty. Spoon
the jam into three 6-ounce canning jars that have been sterilized. Fill the jars
to with-in one-eighth inch of the top. Screw on the lids. Invert the jars for 5
minutes, then re-invert. Let the jam cool to room temperature. Store the jam in
a cool, dark place. Refrigerate the jam once opened; it will keep for several
weeks. Yield: 2 cups

Banana Jam

8 ripe bananas, mashed
3 cups sugar
Olive-sized pieces of fresh ginger
3 lemons
3 cup water
Some whole cloves

Squeeze juice from lemons and slice the rind into paper thin strips Boil the
sugar and water for 10 minutes, then add the juice and rind, the bananas, ginger
and a few cloves (to taste). Cook slowly for 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour. Stir
carefully so it won't scorch. It'll be pale (actually a weird pinkish color.)
Take out ginger. Put in jars and process 10 minutes in water bath About 6-7 8 oz
jars.

--
~~Rec.food.recipes is moderated; only recipes and recipe requests are
accepted for posting. Please read the FAQ posted each week. Please