That Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit stuff....and ice cream, too.

Melba's Jammin'

May 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/23/00
Someone here recently posted that they'd made it and wound up with waffle
topping instead of jam. I made the season's first batch last night and as
I was reading my own recipe, I had a thought (fancy that!). My recipe
lists the ingredients and then says to follow the Certo instructions for
cooked strawberry jam. My recipe for BSM-SJWK uses two (2) foil packs of
Certo whereas the Certo strawberry jam recipe uses one (1). It occurred
to me that *perhaps* the poster-with-the-problem had used only one (1)
pack of Certo instead of two (2). Just a thought.

FWIW, my batch last night is nothing short of fabulous. OK, maybe a tad.
Local berries aren't here yet (another 3 weeks, maybe) and I was using
unimpressive shipped-in berries bought last Saturday at the Farmers Market
(they allow shipped in goods at this market). I'd gotten 3 lovely mangoes
at Cub last week and they were about perfect -- maybe a titch on the riper
side, but not mushy. The kiwifruits were ok. Oh, yeah, my other thought
is that you don't want the strawberries too ripe!! And these weren't.

The recipe produced nine (9) half-pint jars and one (1) 4-ounce jar. I
toted the small jar with me to a restaurant that I frequent for breakfast
for the folks there to sample (I've got a chap with whom I work who's got
an order in for a case of it and I wanted to be sure it was worthy) --
they were ooh-ing and aah-ing. Except for Tammy. She doesn't do jam.
Me, neither, as a rule, but, um, there're only about 1-1/2 Tbsp
left.....(and I ate most of it).

The remaining berries from my purchase have been sliced and sitting in the
fridge along with the extra mango; tonight I'm making some vanilla ice
cream and will stir in the fruits before hardening. It could be really
good or it could be a bust. Time will tell. May chuck some crushed
pineapple in there, too. I figure if it's a dog, it'll still make a swell
smoothie....
-Barb
"Minnesota--Home of The Bald Ego."

The Cook

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00

Your suggestion for sugaring the fruits and letting them sit for 24
hours really improves strawberry ice cream (the only one I've tried so
far.) The berries are more like frozen candy than ice cubes. I did
one batch by draining the juice from the berries, using it in the ice
cream and stirring in the berries at the last. Turned out pretty
well. I'm looking forward to trying the system on other fruits.
Thanks for the information.
Susan N.

Melba's Jammin'

May 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/24/00
In article <j53oisk9sart4ur0n...@4ax.com>,
sans...@netscape.net wrote:

>barb.s....@honeywell.com (Melba's Jammin') wrote:

(jam snipped)

>>The remaining berries from my purchase have been sliced and sitting in the
>>fridge along with the extra mango; tonight I'm making some vanilla ice
>>cream and will stir in the fruits before hardening. It could be really
>>good or it could be a bust. Time will tell. May chuck some crushed
>>pineapple in there, too. I figure if it's a dog, it'll still make a swell
>>smoothie....
>>-Barb
>>"Minnesota--Home of The Bald Ego."
>

>Your suggestion for sugaring the fruits and letting them sit for 24
>hours really improves strawberry ice cream (the only one I've tried so
>far.) The berries are more like frozen candy than ice cubes. I did
>one batch by draining the juice from the berries, using it in the ice
>cream and stirring in the berries at the last. Turned out pretty
>well. I'm looking forward to trying the system on other fruits.
>Thanks for the information.
>Susan N.

And my mango-strawberry-pineapple-vanilla ice cream is mighty fine, too.

Snowy

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00
>Subject: That Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit stuff....and ice cream,
>too.
>From: barb.s....@honeywell.com (Melba's Jammin')
>Date: 5/23/00 6:33 PM Central Daylight Time
Can somebody please repost the jam recipe?

Muchly appreciated,
ss

saki

Jun 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/7/00

Barb Schaller's Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit

2 cups diced mango (1#)
1-3/4 cups mashed strawberries
3/4 cup diced kiwifruit
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp citric acid crystals,
7-1/2 cups sugar
2 pouches Certo

Follow Certo package instructions for making cooked jam; i.e., mix the
fruits with the sugar, cook,
add Certo pectin, cook, jar, seal, process -- BWB 10 min. Makes 8-10 8 oz.
jars

Enjoy!

Melba's Jammin'

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
In article <8hmq55$lor$1...@ins21.netins.net>, "saki" <noj...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Barb Schaller's Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit
>
> 2 cups diced mango (1#)
> 1-3/4 cups mashed strawberries
> 3/4 cup diced kiwifruit
> 1/4 cup lemon juice
> 1 tsp citric acid crystals,
> 7-1/2 cups sugar

> 2 pouches Certo (brand liquid pectin)

> Follow Certo package instructions for making cooked jam; i.e., mix the
>fruits with the sugar, cook,
> add Certo pectin, cook, jar, seal, process -- BWB 10 min. Makes 8-10 8 oz.
>jars
>
>Enjoy!

Bingo!, saki. Thanks. I may not have been specific enough with my
instructions, especially for a novice jammer: Add the lemon juice and the
citric acid when mixing the fruits with the sugar. There! :-)
-Barb
Less than 3 weeks until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop big."

saki

Jun 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/8/00
Practice makes perfect! (And so does cut and paste ;^)
It IS a very good recipe. Good flavors, the citric acid balances out the
sweetness and it looks gorgeous.

--
"We will slime our horns
With the balm of Gilead;

ma pickle

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
I made a batch of this today that is absolutely glorious. the mango were
ripe but still held their shape when diced. The kiwi were perfect. I paid
too much for the strawberries but they were local Oregon and the stand was
at the foot of my hill (this saving in gas money what a trip to Sauvie
Island would have cost plus the time saved) and they are so delicious. Lets
hope the fair judges agree with me!

I will be entering the "Best Preserves in the County" contest with this jam
(you can enter jam, jelly, preserve) and have won it for the last 2 years so
keep your fingers crossed. I'd enter in for the "Best Preserves in the
State" but it has to be Oregon produce and we don't grow kiwi :)

Made strawberry jam and strawberry/rhubarb jam and strawberry/rhubarb pie
filling this week as well. The pie filling is yummy but it really expands in
the jars so they are NOT fair quality but they are good eating. Had a jar
that didn;t seal so am making tarts for a MFP potluck tomorrow.

Ingrid

Ellen Wickberg

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
You might want to look around and see if any small growers are growing kiwi.
We have kiwi (commercially) in British Columbia and they certainly will
grow in Vancouver.
----------
In article <f1f05.18668$AW3.7...@nntp3.onemain.com>, "ma pickle"

Sammy's huwumin

Jun 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/28/00
On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 18:05:43 -0500, barb.s....@honeywell.com
(Melba's Jammin') wrote:

>In article <8hmq55$lor$1...@ins21.netins.net>, "saki" <noj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Barb Schaller's Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit

ok, guys, I've looked thru the FAQs & gather that I can substitute
lemon juice for c.a. -- is this correct?????????

Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
able to find it. Suggestions??????

TIA, Judy
to e-mail me, jco...@mindspring.com

Melba's Jammin'

Jun 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/28/00
In article <ooalls8gpc4rc2dlj...@4ax.com>,
jco...@mindspring.com wrote:

Judy, they're not really the same thing.... lemon juice will add acid
*and* flavor. The citric acid adds no flavor. Can't find it? Do you
have a large supermarket that might carry "sour salt" in a section of
Kosher foods? Same thing. A candy-making supply store should have it --
citric acid is what puts the pucker in fruit-flavored candies. I bought
my last little jarbottle at Sweet Celebrations (formerly Maid of
Scandinavia). Believe they have a web presence. Want me to mail a
couple Tbsp to you? Easily done.
-Barb

>to e-mail me, jco...@mindspring.com
--
-Barb, 6/29/00; it's almost Rabbit Day.

Scott

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00

> Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
> able to find it. Suggestions??????

Suggestions for finding citric acid? Try a homebrewing or winemaking
shop. See, for example,
<http://www.homebrewshop.com/adjuncts.html#wine>

---------
to respond, change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

Eric

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:52:37 -0400, Sammy's huwumin <jco...@mindspring.com>
wrote:

>>ok, guys, I've looked thru the FAQs & gather that I can substitute
>>lemon juice for c.a. -- is this correct?????????

Sorta. Lemon juice does have a flavour that citric will not provide. Otoh, the
presence of lemon flavour may be something you don't want! One can do marvelous
things with citric acid in the jam pot. Lemon juice has too much flavour
baggage for me so when I need acid it is citric.

>>Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
>>able to find it. Suggestions??????

1/4 tsp. citric acid = 1 Tbs. lemon juice

Be very careful with citric acid as it has powerful acidifying power. You are
advised to use no more than 50% of the calculated amount as a direct add-in.
Stir that in well, taste. Then add smaller portions, stirring, tasting. With
citric acid you can go from a brightened flavour ( desired target) to harsh acid
with a surprisingly small addition. The trick is to stop when the acidity is
"almost there" - more is too much.

The Cook

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
Sammy's huwumin <jco...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 18:05:43 -0500, barb.s....@honeywell.com
>(Melba's Jammin') wrote:
>
>>In article <8hmq55$lor$1...@ins21.netins.net>, "saki" <noj...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Barb Schaller's Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit

>ok, guys, I've looked thru the FAQs & gather that I can substitute
>lemon juice for c.a. -- is this correct?????????
>

>Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
>able to find it. Suggestions??????
>

>TIA, Judy
>to e-mail me, jco...@mindspring.com

When I made Barb's jam, I could not find the citric acid so I just
upped the lemon juice by a bit and it seems to have worked fine.
Susan N.

Ellen Wickberg

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
I think the advice Eric gave is good for jams, but if you are using citric
acid to acidify pickles or tomatoes or relishes, make sure you use the
required amount and add sugar to make it less tart if that seems to be a
problem.
----------
In article <kfhlls4jqqlnk0ovt...@4ax.com>, Eric
<ede...@internet.look.ca> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:52:37 -0400, Sammy's huwumin <jco...@mindspring.com>
>wrote:
>

>>>ok, guys, I've looked thru the FAQs & gather that I can substitute
>>>lemon juice for c.a. -- is this correct?????????
>

>Sorta. Lemon juice does have a flavour that citric will not provide. Otoh, the
>presence of lemon flavour may be something you don't want! One can do marvelous
>things with citric acid in the jam pot. Lemon juice has too much flavour
>baggage for me so when I need acid it is citric.
>

>>>Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
>>>able to find it. Suggestions??????

Ellen Wickberg

Jun 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/29/00
Do be sure that your "sour salt" is indeed citric acid. Here in Vancouver,
I found that more than one compound was sold as "sour salt"
----------
In article <barb.s.schaller-...@remote12.htc.honeywell.com>,

barb.s....@honeywell.com (Melba's Jammin') wrote:

>In article <ooalls8gpc4rc2dlj...@4ax.com>,

>jco...@mindspring.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 08 Jun 2000 18:05:43 -0500, barb.s....@honeywell.com
>>(Melba's Jammin') wrote:

>>ok, guys, I've looked thru the FAQs & gather that I can substitute
>>lemon juice for c.a. -- is this correct?????????
>>

>>Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
>>able to find it. Suggestions??????

saki

Jun 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/30/00

>Otherwise, I've done a mini search for citric acid & have not been
>able to find it. Suggestions??????
>

>TIA, Judy
>to e-mail me, jco...@mindspring.com

King Arthur has it: