brass -- what will it do?

General News Groups

Nov 7, 2001, 2:01:24 PM11/7/01
I have access to a brass kettle for cooking down juices for jellies. What
might the brass do to the juice? Is it safe?

Tim Cole
tim...@colescorner.com
timc...@home.com
http://www.colescorner.com

zxcvbob

Nov 7, 2001, 4:32:33 PM11/7/01

General News Groups wrote:

> I have access to a brass kettle for cooking down juices for jellies. What
> might the brass do to the juice? Is it safe?

Is it copper or brass or bronze? Brass will leach zinc into into the
juice. Bronze would be safe if it is a copper/tin alloy, but it *might*
also have small amounts of toxic metals.

Copper is a traditional metal for boilers and we have fun arguing here
about if it is safe. I would use it. I would not use brass, and I
would not use bronze unless I knew exactly what the alloy was. A
general should know such things. HTH :-)

Bob

--
"Son, your teasin' the gorilla in the monkey house." --Hank Hill

General News Groups

Nov 7, 2001, 4:48:42 PM11/7/01
They say it's brass and it looks like brass, and I agree that it shouldn't
be used for cooking down juices.

"zxcvbob" <b...@a51web.net> wrote in message

Grandma

Nov 15, 2001, 8:13:23 PM11/15/01

> General News Groups wrote:
> >
> > I have access to a brass kettle for cooking down juices for jellies.
What
> > might the brass do to the juice? Is it safe?
>
> Is it copper or brass or bronze? Brass will leach zinc into into the
> juice. Bronze would be safe if it is a copper/tin alloy, but it *might*
> also have small amounts of toxic metals.
>
> Copper is a traditional metal for boilers and we have fun arguing here
> about if it is safe. I would use it. I would not use brass, and I
> would not use bronze unless I knew exactly what the alloy was. A
> general should know such things. HTH :-)
>
> Bob

Bob, copper should never be used to cook anything acidic unless it is lined
with tin. Most juices that one would use for jelly are acidic enough to
cause problems I should think. Related to all of the sundry reasons that
copper is such a great conductor of electricity.