Can't decide what cookware to get

1 vue

Jaclyn

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 13:51:2202/01/2006
This is my first post to this newsgroup.

I will be getting married in a few months, and am trying to pick out
items for my registry (as well as pick out some items that I'll just buy
myself for the kitchen). I'm still somewhat of a novice cook, since I
still live with my parents, and usually eat my mom's cooking. But I have
cooked myself many times, and I've had good luck with my mom's
Revereware Copper Clad pots.

In trying to decide what type of cookware to get, my mom and my 2
sisters all recommended stainless steel cookware with a copper bottom.
But I had a hard time finding any cookware like this online or in
stores, leading me to wonder - if this stuff is so wonderful, why don't
more people make it?

I managed to find a few places that had the Revereware Copper Clad pots,
and figured I'd just get them. But on various websites, I saw that
reviews were mixed. Some people said that the cookware was great, and
that it had lasted them for decades. Other people said that it heated
unevenly and wasn't good for anything other than boiling water. Even
though I haven't had any problems with the Revereware, I began to wonder
if I was missing out on possibly getting something better.

I just want to start out with a few basic pots and pans right now. I
want to get 1 or 2 nonstick pans, and I'd prefer the rest to *not* be
non-stick (I know the health risks aren't proven, but I don't want to
take any chances).

Can anyone recommend a good brand of cookware for a novice who's just
starting out? I've read some reviews from Consumer Reports, but just
felt more confused afterward.

Thanks,
Jaclyn

KLS

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 14:09:0302/01/2006
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:51:22 -0500, Jaclyn <jac...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good brand of cookware for a novice who's just
>starting out?

Congrats on the impending nuptials. Vox Humana in this group has
praised the Wolfgang Puck pots and pans, which evidently you can buy
for $99. Tramontina is another stainless steel-clad brand that people
have had good results cooking with, but prices vary a lot. I am using
Emerilware, made by All-Clad (*THE* brand name in stainless steel-clad
cookware), which I like very much and which costs about $199 for the
10-piece set. These are the top three I'd recommend, and all can go
in the dishwasher if needed.

Steve Calvin

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 15:00:5302/01/2006

I believe that these are non-stick as are the Stainless 500
pieces that I have from QVC. I love 'em but the o.p. doesn't
want non-stick.

The only non-stick that I have are my Griswold CI pieces
though so I can't provide opinions on others.

--
Steve

If you can't beat 'em, they're not tied down properly.

Edwin Pawlowski

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 16:26:0102/01/2006

"Jaclyn" <jac...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> In trying to decide what type of cookware to get, my mom and my 2 sisters
> all recommended stainless steel cookware with a copper bottom. But I had a
> hard time finding any cookware like this online or in stores, leading me
> to wonder - if this stuff is so wonderful, why don't more people make it?

Mos tcookware today is triple ply with an aluminum insert between twolayers
of aluminum. A couple of high priced brands have copper, but the aluminum
works well.

> I managed to find a few places that had the Revereware Copper Clad pots,
> and figured I'd just get them. But on various websites, I saw that reviews
> were mixed. Some people said that the cookware was great, and that it had
> lasted them for decades. Other people said that it heated unevenly and
> wasn't good for anything other than boiling water. Even though I haven't
> had any problems with the Revereware, I began to wonder if I was missing
> out on possibly getting something better.

The cooper on the bottom is just a plating, not a thick cladding that wuld
make a serious difference. The posts are OK, but the pans are not great.

> I just want to start out with a few basic pots and pans right now. I want
> to get 1 or 2 nonstick pans, and I'd prefer the rest to *not* be non-stick
> (I know the health risks aren't proven, but I don't want to take any
> chances).

Get a good cast iron pan or two.

> Can anyone recommend a good brand of cookware for a novice who's just
> starting out? I've read some reviews from Consumer Reports, but just felt
> more confused afterward.

I've not kept us with the latest but Wolfgang Puck is good. All Clad is
considered one of the best, but very expensive for what you get.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

KLS

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 16:41:3802/01/2006
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 15:00:53 -0500, Steve Calvin
<cal...@optonline.net> wrote:

>KLS wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:51:22 -0500, Jaclyn <jac...@adelphia.net>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>Can anyone recommend a good brand of cookware for a novice who's just
>>>starting out?
>>

>> Congrats on the impending nuptials. Vox Humana in this group has
>> praised the Wolfgang Puck pots and pans, which evidently you can buy
>> for $99. Tramontina is another stainless steel-clad brand that people
>> have had good results cooking with, but prices vary a lot. I am using
>> Emerilware, made by All-Clad (*THE* brand name in stainless steel-clad
>> cookware), which I like very much and which costs about $199 for the
>> 10-piece set. These are the top three I'd recommend, and all can go
>> in the dishwasher if needed.
>
>I believe that these are non-stick as are the Stainless 500
>pieces that I have from QVC. I love 'em but the o.p. doesn't
>want non-stick.

These are not nonstick.

Vox Humana

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 17:32:5102/01/2006

"KLS" <xym...@suds.com> wrote in message

I really like my WP cookware. It is available in many configurations and as
open stock at www.hsn.com Some alternative I would consider is the tri-ply
Members Mark cookware at Sam's club, Martha Stewart tri-ply from I-Mart, and
Sur La Table's house brand of tri-ply. I think that the WP and the Member's
mark are the best value. WP has a very heavy encapsulated disk bottom and
is available in a wide range of sizes and pan types. The MM from Sam's is
very nice, the price is good, and there are no useless pieces in their set.
The Sur La Table brand is also nice, but is more expensive that the MM
cookware and not perceptibly better. The K-Mart cookware is OK if not a bit
scaled-down and is widely available.

Ward Abbott

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 19:29:5002/01/2006
wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good brand of cookware for a novice who's just

>starting out? I've read some reviews from Consumer Reports, but just
>felt more confused afterward.

There is no "set" that will be appropriate. Buy the "pot" that does
the job you need. Here is a good place to start investigating your
needs.

http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00007.asp

Congratulations on your upcoming life!!

Vox Humana

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 20:09:4402/01/2006

"Ward Abbott" <pre...@terian.com> wrote in message

> On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 13:51:22 -0500, Jaclyn <jac...@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Can anyone recommend a good brand of cookware for a novice who's just
> >starting out? I've read some reviews from Consumer Reports, but just
> >felt more confused afterward.
>
> There is no "set" that will be appropriate. Buy the "pot" that does
> the job you need.

While I agree with that on an intellectual level, it often turns out that
you can get the three or four pieces that you really want for less when you
buy a set as opposed to buying "open stock." For instance the pieces that I
use the most are an 11" covered sauté pan, 2 qt and 4 qt covered sauce pans,
and my 8 qt. covered stock pot with pasta insert, and an 8 inch omelet. In
open stock the prices for these pieces are $24.90 + $ 19.91+ $34.90 +
$29.95 + $$19.85 + $19.90 for a total of $149.00. In addition, if you are
buying online, each piece has a shipping charge of $6.95 for a total of
$41.70 in shipping, bring the cost to a grand total of $190.70 for ten
pieces.

If you buy a set, you can get 22 pieces for $189.90 + $18.95 shipping or 21
pieces for $179.99 plus $12.95 shipping, or 24 pieces for $189.90 on sale
plus $29.10 shipping. Even if you don't absolutely need the extra pieces,
you are often financially better of getting a set. For someone who is
equipping their first kitchen, the extra pieces like utensils and bakeware
may be needed whereas in an established household, they may be duplicates.
You can always use the pieces you don't want as gifts. This is true not
only of the WP cookware that I used as an example, but of all cookware that
is offered in both sets and as open stock.

Louis Cohen

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 20:46:1602/01/2006
Congratulations and best of luck. Several years ago, Costco sold a set
of Italian-made All-Clad knock-offs. I was lucky to grab one before
they stopped selling them. So I can't help with the brand. But I have
heard that many people get one non-stick cheap-cheap pan for eggs and
replace it every few months.

I will weigh in with some suggestions for what you might want to get.
These will let you cook lots of stuff. By all means add whatever
specialized tools you like, like bundt/muffin/loaf pans, sifter,
candy/frying thermomter, roasting pan, griddle, paellera, cast iron
frying pan, crock-pot, v-slicer or mandolin, etc.

- _How to Cook Everything_ by Mark Bittman; you can read his
introduction on what hardware you need

- Knives: an 8" chef's knife (6-10", based on what feels comfortable for
you), a 2.5 - 3.5" paring knife, a steel, a long serrated knife for
bread, a way to store the knives safely (block, mag strip, or drawer
insert), and a 2-sided sharpening stone (medium and fine). Practice
with the stone on some old knives.

- Utensils: sturdy 12" tongs, sturdy wooden spoon, soup ladle,
plastic/silicon spatula; whisk

- Misc: remote reading meat thermometer (eg. Polder); stainless steel
mixing bowls; colander; steamer insert for a saucepan; 2 cup measuring
cup; set of measuring spoons; corkscrew; can opener

- Pots and Pans: Tall, cheap pot with strainer insert for pasta and
stock; Dutch oven for stews, braises, soups; 12" sauté pan (vertical
sides) with lid; 10" frying pan with curved sides (maybe non-stick for
eggs); 1.5 qt saucepan with lid; 3 qt saucepan or saucier

- Optional Appliances: stand mixer (with attachments useful for you,
e.g., pasta roller, meat grinder, juicer, etc.), food processor, blender

With the minimum list above you can can make sautéd dishes, braises,
roasts, and pasta dishes (from dried pasta).

Louis Cohen

Bah! Humbug!

Vox Humana

non lue,
2 janv. 2006, 21:41:4302/01/2006

"Louis Cohen" <louis...@alum.mit.edu> wrote in message

> Congratulations and best of luck. Several years ago, Costco sold a set
> of Italian-made All-Clad knock-offs. I was lucky to grab one before
> they stopped selling them. So I can't help with the brand. But I have
> heard that many people get one non-stick cheap-cheap pan for eggs and
> replace it every few months.

I have two tri-ply, non-stick pans from Costco. I almost never use them. I
find that my well-seasoned cast iron skillet is more non-stick than the
Costco pans. It is too bad that Costco got rid of that unlined tri-ply line
of Italian cookware. It was a great bargain. The set at Sam's is
essentially the same. Even if you don't have a membership and have to pay
the "up-charge," it would be worth the price. The set isn't on their
website.

This is also a nice set for about the same price as the Costco cookware was
just before it was discontinued:
http://tinyurl.com/2w48z

Gordon Airporte

non lue,
3 janv. 2006, 02:49:0703/01/2006
Okay, this might get a little heavy, but it's some of the best advice
I've seen on choosing cookware:
http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=25717

--
My spelling is really atrocious.

Steve Calvin

non lue,
3 janv. 2006, 10:00:1503/01/2006
Gordon Airporte wrote:
> Okay, this might get a little heavy, but it's some of the best advice
> I've seen on choosing cookware:
> http://forums.egullet.com/index.php?showtopic=25717

I'm only gonna say it one more time... everyone who is
overlooking the Cooks Essentials Stainless 500 line from QVC
isn't doing themselves any favors. They are great pieces for
a resonable amount of money, stand up to their claims and
are warrentied for life. Only thing which could be
considered a drawback is they are heavy due to the thick
bottoms. I've does everything with 'em including putting
them under the broiler with no adverse effects.

Vox Humana

non lue,
3 janv. 2006, 10:11:5703/01/2006

"Steve Calvin" <cal...@optonline.net> wrote in message

I haven't overlooked them, I just haven't seen them. They sound like they
are exactly the same as the WP cookware from HSN - probably made in the same
factory in China. I am glad that my bigger pieces have helper handles
because they are so heavy. I think that's why they work well. I have seen
some disk type cookware that is very light. I suspect that the negative
comments about this type of cookware is based on the performance of the
light-weight pieces.

kate

non lue,
4 janv. 2006, 14:36:5304/01/2006
Jaclyn, I have been cooking at home for 24 years now and SCANPAN is the
absolute best product out there. It needs very little oil to cook,
very easy cleanup, you can use metal utensils, and can go in the oven
up to 500 degrees. I had all types of cookware, and you can find these
online just froogle it.
Check out this website : http://www.pans.com/brands/Scanpan_pans.html

Here is their official writeup: The surface of SCANPAN CLASSIC NEW TEK
is based on a number of different patents. The original surface was
first introduced in Europe in 1986 and in the US in 1987. SCANPAN 2001+
Cookware, as it was then called, caused an immediate stir in the
cookware market since it was the first cookware, and still is the only
cookware, that combines a professional cooking utensil with long-term
nonstick convenience. This product is backed by a genuine full lifetime
warranty. Each time that consumer publications have tested cookware
between 1987 and 2000, SCANPAN Cookware was consistently awarded "Best
Nonstick Cookware" ratings and "Best Buy" recommendations.
here is the manufacturers website: http://www.scanpancookware.com/
good luck cooking! Kate

kate

non lue,
4 janv. 2006, 14:42:1504/01/2006
YUCK! i would never buy a Revere or stainless pan again! clean, scrub,
then fingerprints - awful awful
and COPPER!!!! double yuck! You know, most of these posts are done by
men, and not to sound sexist, but as a female, and main chef in my
home, i know that after a fabulous meal, i dont want 2 sit and scrub
till my fingers are toast! Maybe these guys want to scrub away - not
me!
Stick to a Scanpan, look at there website - buy one on ebay, and get
back to me - you will be converted!
http://www.scanpancookware.com/ - Smile - Kate

Vox Humana

non lue,
4 janv. 2006, 15:24:5604/01/2006

"kate" <teka...@msn.com> wrote in message

Well I can tell you as the ONLY cook in my household ( and we rarely eat at
restaurants) that I don't spend more than a few moments a day cleaning my
stainless. Food doesn't stick because I use the right technique. I might
scrape any residue into the disposer and then it goes into the dishwasher.
Who worries about finger prints on cookware? It isn't even something that
has ever crossed my mind. For the anal-retentive cooks who want their pans
to look like they just came from a Food Network set, you can always use a
little oven clean and let them sit overnight. If you like Sanpan, then
great, but to say that stainless requires extraordinary maintenance or is
exceptionally sticky is simply not true. And to be honest, how many guys do
you know who like to do dishes let alone spend hours scrubbing pans?

Ellen

non lue,
4 janv. 2006, 15:32:2404/01/2006

"kate" <teka...@msn.com> wrote in message

I have had a set of copper clad saucepans for about 25 years -- they are
great. Rarely does anything stick to the inside and if it does, soaking in
hot water and soapsuds for a short while gets everything unstuck. Once you
get over the idea that you have to shine up the outsides constantly they are
easier to keep up than any other cookware I have.

Ellen

DawnK

non lue,
4 janv. 2006, 23:26:3104/01/2006

"kate" <teka...@msn.com> wrote in message

I have had Revere Ware pans for a LONG time. Probably more than 10 years.
I don't have problems with stuff sticking in them, except for the time DH
let some macaroni and cheese burn in one. We even got that out eventually.
They all look nice. If I'm in a shiny-pan mood, we have some stainless
steel cleaner that gets them shiny, with minimum of fuss. Sometimes, DH
will do that, too, but not everytime I wash them.

My pan that is bad for sticking, actually is my Corning Vision dutch oven.
I have to really watch stuff in that pan, when I'm reheating something. I
actually don't go out of my way to use it, for much other than cooking my
pasta, because it's bigger than my revereware Dutch oven. I only bought one
piece of that Vision cookware and I'm very glad.

I sometimes want other cookware, but I can do a fine job of cooking, on my
Revereware stuff. It's copper-clad, too.

My favorite pan is my 12" frypan, which is nice for browning chicken or pork
chops, because it's so big! It's a Farberware stainless steel pan.

Dawn

kate

non lue,
5 janv. 2006, 09:19:1305/01/2006
my DH just toasted a 2qt revere pan cooking FARINA! using our electic
stove - dont know what he was doing, but i had to throw the pan out! we
could not scrub it clean - I quess everyone has their own preferences
for cookware and cooks differently!

Vox Humana

non lue,
5 janv. 2006, 10:18:5805/01/2006

"kate" <teka...@msn.com> wrote in message

I believe that Revere Ware is a brand name, not a type of cookware. We may
all be talking about different things. For instance, I believe that you
raved about ScanPan and said that you didn't like stainless or copper (too
hard to clean ,...). Ironically, looking at the ScanPan website, they
clearly offer FOUR lines of cookware. They have non-stick aluminum, tri-ply
stainless, five-ply stainless, and lined copper cookware. So it would be
possible for you to find ScanPan wonderful because it is easy to care for
and someone else to find their (copper clad) ScanPan a royal pain in the ass
to keep showroom clean. Likewise one person's Revere Ware pan may be as
thin as a tin can with a couple microns of copper plated on the outside, and
someone else might have a much better piece of the same BRAND of cookware.

MrMercutio

non lue,
5 janv. 2006, 20:01:1505/01/2006
Congratulations on your nuptials. I'm doing the same myself in a couple
of weeks. :)

I can recommend Hackman cookware. They've got everything from cheap to
really expensive. But they're generally good quality. For instance,
Hardface is a range that is both non-stick, but not teflon or anything
like that. They've used some new material for those.

/B

Jaclyn

non lue,
6 janv. 2006, 19:36:4606/01/2006
I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their helpful replies. You've
certainly given me a lot to think about.

-Jaclyn

Will

non lue,
10 janv. 2006, 15:27:3610/01/2006

Jaclyn wrote:
> I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their helpful replies. You've
> certainly given me a lot to think about.

Read this when you get a chance...

http://www.cookswares.com/discussions/pansqa.asp

em...@owlcroft.com

non lue,
11 janv. 2006, 21:27:1011/01/2006
For those who may not have read the Consumer Reports December 2005
review of cookware, a few notes. First, whether CR's approach to
testing something like cookware will correspond to what real-world
cooks would do is uncertain, but they do have their reputation.

They rated based on a number of factors (but no clue as to the
weighting of each): evenness of cooking; safety; comfort (obviously
subjective); sturdiness; and ease of cleaning. (Nonsticks had a
separate surface durability criterion.)

Of the uncoated sets tested, their clear winner was the KitchenAid
"Gourmet Essentials Brushed Stainless". Many of the lines discussed on
this thread were included in the tests, but it would eat too much space
to list them all. Only two got top marks for "evenness of cooking",
the KitchenAid and the Emerilware Stainless; but they rated the
KitchenAid better than the Emerilware on both safety and comfort (and
equal on sturdiness, though the KitchenAid was not good at "ease of
cleaning". The KitchenAid was also, at CU's "approximate retail" price
of $150, only 75% the cost of the Emerilware. (Both are "10-piece"
sets.)

The KitchenAid is dishwasherable, and works fine on induction units.
If I were buying anew, I think I know what I'd buy.

--
Cordially,
Eric Walker, webmaster

Randall Nortman

non lue,
11 janv. 2006, 22:16:0711/01/2006

For what it's worth, if I were to buy a set such as this right now,
the Sitram Profiserie 11-piece set sold by Costco (online only) for
$150 is a pretty darn good value. It's an even better buy from
smartbargains.com at the moment at only $130. It is also
induction-compatible, with aluminum disc bottoms, but I'm betting that
the disc is much thicker. I don't know what the KitchenAid uses, but
the Profiserie line is 7mm aluminum, which is very hefty. The handles
are welded rather than riveted for easier cleaning. (Also dishwasher
safe -- pretty much all commercial cookware is.) They probably don't
look as pretty as the KitchAid ones, but I suspect they'll cook
better. Plus, you get 11 pieces instead of 10. This one goes to 11!

The Profiserie line probably didn't show up on Consumer Reports's
radar since it is not available in consumer kitchen stores, but the
pros all rave about it.

Speaking of good values, I just picked up a ChefMate tri-ply (aluminum
all the way up the sides) 10" skillet at Target on clearance (marked
down three times) for $5.47. It's not All-Clad, and the aluminum
layer is pretty thin (approx 1.5mm by eyeballing it), but it serves my
short-term needs, and it cost less than I'd spend on lunch. I tested
it with eggs (my primary short-term need, as noted a recent post I
made to this group) and it worked quite well -- not as non-stick as my
cast iron pan or a true non-stick pan, but more non-stick than my
anodized aluminum, and far, far easier on the wrists than the cast
iron, plus more responsive. No discernable hotspots at medium heat on
my electric stove, though higher heat or sensitive sauces might reveal
some. It looks like this line is perhaps discontinued, though if you
hurry your local Target may still have some on clearance.

It's not a pan I intend to keep forever. I mostly got it to determine
if I liked stainless better than anodized aluminum -- I do, even in a
super-cheap pan. I will be replacing all my Calphalon pieces over
time, probably with something like the Sitram pieces I mentioned
above. (I need something induction-compatible, since I do intend to
switch to induction next time I have the chance.)

--
Randall

amanda...@yahoo.com

non lue,
19 janv. 2006, 01:09:1419/01/2006

I am not an expert on pots and pan. I have a hard-anodized calphalon
pot and an hard-anodized calphalon omelette pan, 1 stainless steel
pot and 1 stainless steel sauce pan.

Keep this cleaning powder handy: brand Name is "Bon Ami "
See picture of the container at
http://www.ecoviva.com/html/bon_ami.html

Can get at grocery store for $1.29. The first time I got it was from
Wal-mart for 79cent, 2 yeas ago. Note: main ingredient is naturally
occuring mineral called calcite; Bon Ami doesn't scratch.

amanda...@yahoo.com

non lue,
19 janv. 2006, 01:12:4519/01/2006

amanda...@yahoo.com wrote:
[..]

> Keep this cleaning powder handy: brand Name is "Bon Ami "
> See picture of the container at
> http://www.ecoviva.com/html/bon_ami.html
>
> Can get at grocery store for $1.29. The first time I got it was from
> Wal-mart for 79cent, 2 yeas ago. Note: main ingredient is naturally
> occuring mineral called calcite; Bon Ami doesn't scratch.

Not calcite but Feldspar.

0 nouveau message