Potato-Carrot-Onion Latkes

Philip & Karen Selwyn

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
I made these last Hanukkah and the family really liked them. That's a
strong endorsement since they usually complain when I try to vary their
steady diet of potato latkes.

Karen Selwyn

* * * * *

Potato-Carrot-Onion Latkes

6 medium baking potatoes, peeled
1 carrot
2 onions
2 eggs
1/2 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste

sour cream and/or applesauce (optional)

Grate potatoes and onions with grater blade of food processor. Place a
colander large enough to hold the grated potato-onion mixture
over a pot or bowl. Remove the grated potato-onion mixture from the
food processor bowl and put in the colander. Let stand for five
minutes.

Press down on the mixture to hasten the draining process. Repeat this
pressing step two-three more times at five minute intervals. The
ingredients will be ready when the mixture no longer squishes when
pressed (in approximately 15 minutes).

Using the grater blade of the food processor, grate the carrot. Mix the
drained potato and onion shreds with the carrots. Add eggs, flour, salt,
and pepper.

Carefully, pour the liquid out of the bowl/pot which was placed under
the colander during the draining step. At the bottom of the bowl, you
will find a thick, starchy paste (potato starch). Scrape this paste out
of the bowl and add to the potato-carrot-onion-egg mixture, blending
well.

Drop by the spoonful into hot oil and fry until golden and crisp on both
sides. Drain on paper towels.

Serve with salt and pepper or sour cream or applesauce.

Source: Northwest News