Healthy Salad Dressings?

Bensenten

Feb 3, 2001, 12:57:57 AM2/3/01
We make two salad dressings which we love but we need some new ideas. We cook
low fat and no sugar. Our two regular recipes are

* white balsamic vinegar, roasted garlic mustard, light mayo, salt&pepper plus
spices of choice (orgegano, rosemary,etc)

* russian dressing with light mayo, ketchup,garlic,balsamic vinegar

I would love other suggestions. Thanks. Ben S.

Miche

Feb 3, 2001, 1:48:23 AM2/3/01
In article <20010203005757...@ng-fn1.aol.com>,
bens...@aol.com (Bensenten) wrote:

How about a squeeze of fresh lemon juice? Nothing else.

Miche

--
"... in the physics of the heart, distance is relative;
it is time that is absolute."

Nancree

Feb 3, 2001, 6:48:03 AM2/3/01
> Healthy Salad Dressings?
-----------------------
Low fat sour cream
Fresh lemon or lime juice
Lots of crushed garlic
Dry mustard, or prepared mustard
Seasoned Salt (like Lawry's) and pepper.
(Optional: salad herb mixes, oregano, etc.

Aquari

Feb 3, 2001, 9:36:24 AM2/3/01
>> Healthy Salad Dressings?

Lowfat or no fat mayo
Salsa of your choice
Balsamic vinegar

Great for a taco or other kind of Mexican type salad.

Libby

Nancy Rivera

Feb 3, 2001, 12:04:56 PM2/3/01

"Bensenten" <bens...@aol.com> wrote in message

I have a cookbook by Martin Katahn called 'The Low-Fat Good Food Cookbook'.
It has several good dressing recipes. My favorite is for a bleu cheese
dressing - very garlicky and wonderful on salad or for dipping raw veggies.

Red-Wine Blue Cheese Dressing

1/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
1 scallion, minced
3 Tbs plain nonfat yogurt
1 tsp light mayo
1 tsp red wine
1 tsp fresh parsley, minced

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Chill overnight and serve cold.
Makes about 1/2 cup. Serving size is 2 Tbs.

Per serving: 3 g. fat, 43 calories, 7 mg. cholesterol, no dietary fiber,
267 mg. sodium.

There are lots more and, if you want, just e-mail and I'll share them with
you.

Enjoy,
Nancita

Roxan-NO Spam

Feb 3, 2001, 12:16:29 PM2/3/01
Why not put some silken tofu into a food processor with a little of your
favorite blue cheese for flavor for a creamy dressing, then salt pepper or
whatever else you like.
Roxan in Pa.

"Aquari" <aqu...@aol.comNOJUNK> wrote in message

terri

Feb 3, 2001, 8:22:45 PM2/3/01
"Bensenten" <bens...@aol.com> wrote in message

Try a quick mist with your favorite balsalmic vinegar. If you use fresh
and delicious salad ingredients this may be all they need.

=terri
terr...@execpc.com

Ginny Sher

Feb 4, 2001, 10:05:28 AM2/4/01

In a pinch or when I am in a hurry, I keep a bottle of Bernsteins
Italian dressing on hand. As you know, the oil rises to the top. I
simply pour off as much of the oil as possible and use the remainder
for the dressing. I know it's wasteful and ends up being expensive,
but I've used it with good results in many salads.

I suppose one could use the extracted oil for another purpose, but
then, the fat calories would just be replaced, not removed.

Ginny Sher <who finds almost all salad dressings contain way too much
oil for her liking

Nancy Rivera

Feb 4, 2001, 10:55:16 AM2/4/01
Basic Low-Fat Dressing

1/3 cup fine olive oil
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup wine vinegar of fruit vinegar
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp dried tarragon
Fresh-ground black pepper to taste

Blend by shaking in a jar and let stand for several hours before using.
Shake before using. This will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
If the oil solidifies in the refrigerator, let it sit on the counter of warm
before serving or briefly run the jar under luke warm water.

Nancita

"Dog3" <do...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Nancy Rivera" <nriv...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message

> This is a keeper. The blue cheese in it sounds delicious. Thanks
> for the post.
>
> Michael

Ellen Smith

Feb 4, 2001, 11:00:27 AM2/4/01

Nancy Rivera wrote:

> Basic Low-Fat Dressing
>
> 1/3 cup fine olive oil
> 1/3 cup water
> 1/3 cup wine vinegar of fruit vinegar
> 2 cloves garlic, crushed
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1 tsp dried tarragon
> Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
>
> Blend by shaking in a jar and let stand for several hours before using.
> Shake before using. This will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
> If the oil solidifies in the refrigerator, let it sit on the counter of warm
> before serving or briefly run the jar under luke warm water.

Sounds like a great recipe. Just one tip that I've found extremely
useful. If I'm using dried herbs I rehydrate them for a half hour or so
before adding them to the recipe. In this case, one could add the dried
tarragon to the water, allow it to hydrate than make the recipe. The
results, I've found, are much fresher tasting.

Ellen

notbob

Feb 4, 2001, 3:57:16 PM2/4/01

This is a fat free dressing our company cafeteria served at the salad
bar. It was so good, I asked for the recipe. I usually cut the recipe
by half or one third as I can never consume 2 cups before the OJ turns.

FAT FREE SOY DRESSING

1 T fresh basil
1 T fresh cilantro
1 T fresh lemon grass
1 T fresh mint
1 C soy sauce
1 C fresh orange juice
1/4 C rice wine vinegar
2 T sugar (optional)

Finely mince herbs and combine all ingredients. Best to age at least
overnight.

notbob

Feb 4, 2001, 4:03:09 PM2/4/01

Dog3 wrote:

> x-no-archive: yes
>
> "Nancy Rivera" <nriv...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> >

> This is a keeper. The blue cheese in it sounds delicious. Thanks
> for the post.

.......seconded and saved!

nb

Kate L Pugh

Feb 4, 2001, 6:25:32 PM2/4/01
Bensenten <bens...@aol.com> wrote:
> We make two salad dressings which we love but we need some new
> ideas. We cook low fat and no sugar.

This is one I like. The sesame version's not low-fat, but I included
it for other people who might be interested. I would be interested in
knowing how "Japanese" this actually is.

Kake

* Japanese Carrot (or Sesame) Dressing *

A tested recipe from <URL:http://www.ox.compsoc.net/~kake/cookery/>.
The Japanese Carrot Dressing recipe was posted on the Fatfree mailing
list by Natalie Frankel. It's originally from the book _Moosewood
Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites_; Natalie and I have both altered and
added variations on the basic recipe.

* Makes 150ml (5 fl oz, 1/2 cup) (serves 3-4) *

2 tbsp mirin (sweet Japanese cooking wine)
2 tbsp rice vinegar or mild white wine or cider vinegar
1 tbsp decent soy sauce (I recommend Kikkoman)
1 tbsp mild prepared mustard
1 x 1-inch (2.5 cm) cube fresh ginger root
*For Carrot Dressing:* 1 small carrot
*For Sesame Dressing:* 1 tbsp tahini (sesame paste)

1. Place mirin, vinegar, soy sauce and mustard in a blender.

2. *Carrot Dressing*: Peel the carrot. For a smooth dressing, chop the
carrot, add to the blender and whizz until smooth. For a different
effect, whizz the dressing without the carrot, then grate (shred) the
carrot and add to the dressing at the end.

3. *Sesame Dressing*: Add the tahini to the blender. Whizz until
smooth.

4. Store in a screw-topped jar in the fridge, and shake before
using. I've stored it for a week with no ill-effects.

Kate L Pugh

Feb 4, 2001, 6:42:21 PM2/4/01
I wrote:
> * Japanese Carrot (or Sesame) Dressing *

Just spotted a mistake. The first direction should read:

1. Place mirin, vinegar, soy sauce, mustard and ginger in a blender.

(I'd missed out adding in the ginger at that point).

Kake

Amy Hughes

Feb 5, 2001, 12:22:52 AM2/5/01
Bensenten (bens...@aol.com) wrote:
: * white balsamic vinegar, roasted garlic mustard, light mayo, salt&pepper plus

: spices of choice (orgegano, rosemary,etc)

My lunchtime mix-it-on-the-salad recipe is ... white balsamic vinegar,
olive oil, dijon mustard, ketchup, salt, pepper, basil, garlic

I'm going to try this one tomorrow...

1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups olive oil
2 T minced ginger
1/3 cup minced garlic
3 T Nama Shoyu

Blend well

Nathalie Chiva

Feb 5, 2001, 4:52:32 AM2/5/01

Lemon juice, orange juice, mustard, salt and pepper.

Orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, pepper.

Rice vinegar, orange juice, milk, a pinch of curry powder, salt.

Balsamic vinegar, natural yogurt, light mayo, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper.

Nathalie in Switzerland

hahabogus

Feb 5, 2001, 7:50:00 AM2/5/01
Nathalie Chiva <Nathali...@ci.unil.ch> wrote in
<3A7E77DE...@ci.unil.ch>:

>Lemon juice, orange juice, mustard, salt and pepper.
>
>Orange juice, soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, pepper.
>
>Rice vinegar, orange juice, milk, a pinch of curry powder, salt.
>
>Balsamic vinegar, natural yogurt, light mayo, Dijon mustard, salt,
>pepper.
>
>Nathalie in Switzerland

None of the above have oil<except the mayo one>... They sound delicious but
without any oil are outside my experience as a salad dressing. Do you have
to make any adjustments so they cling to the veggies ??? Like using them
just prior to serving or eating the salad immediately after dressing the
salad?

Nathalie Chiva

Feb 7, 2001, 8:30:16 AM2/7/01

Well, I don't know - I always make the dressing at the last moment, and
I always eat the salad right after dressing it (a salad of greens
macerated in dressing is yucky). But I never had any problems getting
the dressing to cling, I must say.
The first reciped I got on Mardi Wetmore's lowfat living site, if I
remember it well, the others I made up. Nowadays I just have a go at it
with judicious use of the varied bottles in my pantry :-). I've found OJ
*really* good to make dressings.
And people comment that my dressings are yummy :-))))

Nathalie in Switzerland

creepygirl

Feb 7, 2001, 11:29:27 PM2/7/01
Here's one that I've tried and liked:

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Red Pepper Vinaigrette

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :
2 medium red bell peppers
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove -- peeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1. Preheat broiler

2. Put peppers, skin side up, on a baking sheet and press down with hands
to flatten. Roast until skin blisters and blackens, about 5 minutes.
Transfer peppers to bowl, cover, and let steam 5 minutes. When peppers
are cool enough to handle, remove charred skin and place peppers in
blender. Add water, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Process until
smooth. (May refrigerate overnight)

Per serving: 13 Calories; less than one gram Fat (5% calories from fat);
0g Protein; 3g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 135mg Sodium

_____

--
"Shameless scone slut"--My boyfriend's description of me