I made Lemon Curd - and loved it!!

The Hackett Family

May 8, 2002, 11:47:20 AM5/8/02
Yee-haw!!!

I've had a recipe for Lemon Curd for many years and finally got around to
making it.... Oh My Stars!!! WOW! Flavor-wise, it reminds me of a lemon
meringue pie without the crust and meringue. Sweet (just right - not too
sweet) and tangy... I tried a tablespoon of it on a waffle... then I tried
it again with another waffle... *then* I just grabbed a spoon and finished
the jar of it. Thank goodness when I jarred them, I put them into 3 or 4
half-pint jars. So, eating 8 ounces of it wouldn't be as bad as eating the
whole batch!

Actually, truth be told - I made two batches... three jars for Mother's day
(1 for MIL, 1 for ex-step Mom, and 1 for a neighbor lady)......... and the
other batch for ME!!!

It was extremely easy to make... 5 oz butter, 3 lemons (juice and rinds),
and 2 cups sugar! That's it! Just prior to making it I found some in a
local store... for either 6 or 8 ounces they wanted almost $ 4.00. Ha!!
It cost me less than $ 2.00 and I made just under 4 cups of it. Woo-hoo!

Just thought I'd share that.

Cyndi

--
Cyndi

Thierry Gerbault

May 8, 2002, 11:57:22 AM5/8/02
"The Hackett Family" <rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote in

> Yee-haw!!!
>
> I've had a recipe for Lemon Curd for many years and finally got around
> to making it.... Oh My Stars!!! WOW! Flavor-wise, it reminds me of a
> lemon meringue pie without the crust and meringue. Sweet (just right
> - not too sweet) and tangy... I tried a tablespoon of it on a
> waffle... then I tried it again with another waffle... *then* I just
> grabbed a spoon and finished the jar of it. Thank goodness when I
> jarred them, I put them into 3 or 4 half-pint jars. So, eating 8
> ounces of it wouldn't be as bad as eating the whole batch!
>
> Actually, truth be told - I made two batches... three jars for
> Mother's day (1 for MIL, 1 for ex-step Mom, and 1 for a neighbor
> lady)......... and the other batch for ME!!!
>
> It was extremely easy to make... 5 oz butter, 3 lemons (juice and
> rinds), and 2 cups sugar! That's it! Just prior to making it I found

Blend all thoroughly and cook until thickened?

--
Thierry Gerbault

Reply to: Thierry...@att.net

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

John Oglesby

May 8, 2002, 1:52:18 PM5/8/02
Hah... I just made a quart of lemon curd yesterday at school.

Also made 50 Coconut Macaroons. That's the most basic (boneheaded) thing
I've yet to make in Baking & Pastry.

Dunno what I'm doin today, but I bet it will involve sugar. (Man, I miss
bread week) :)

"The Hackett Family" <rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> [...]

LIMEYNO1

May 8, 2002, 10:50:54 PM5/8/02
Yeah, great stuff, eh?

--
Howdy from Helen Peagram in Beautiful Stoney Creek

theli...@cogeco.ca

http://mompeagram.homestead.com/MOMPEAGRAM.html

The Hackett Family

May 8, 2002, 11:36:46 PM5/8/02

> It was extremely easy to make... 5 oz butter, 3 lemons (juice and
> rinds), and 2 cups sugar! That's it! Just prior to making it I found

Blend all thoroughly and cook until thickened?

> some in a local store... for either 6 or 8 ounces they wanted almost $
> 4.00. Ha!! It cost me less than $ 2.00 and I made just under 4 cups
> of it. Woo-hoo!

---------------

Thanks for the addition Thierry... yeah... I was too excited to mention that
you have to cook the stuff for about 10-15 minutes. <duh>

Gosh is it yummy stuff!

Cyndi

Melba's Jammin'

May 9, 2002, 12:20:17 AM5/9/02
In article <cMbC8.251638$CH1.187607@sccrnsc02>, "The Hackett Family"
<rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Yee-haw!!!
>
> I've had a recipe for Lemon Curd for many years and finally got
> around to making it.... Oh My Stars!!! WOW! Flavor-wise, it reminds
> me of a lemon meringue pie without the crust and meringue. Sweet
> (just right - not too sweet) and tangy... I tried a tablespoon of it
> on a waffle... then I tried it again with another waffle... *then* I
> just grabbed a spoon and finished the jar of it. Thank goodness when
> I jarred them, I put them into 3 or 4 half-pint jars. So, eating 8
> ounces of it wouldn't be as bad as eating the whole batch!

> Actually, truth be told - I made two batches... three jars for
> Mother's day (1 for MIL, 1 for ex-step Mom, and 1 for a neighbor
> lady)......... and the other batch for ME!!!

> It was extremely easy to make... 5 oz butter, 3 lemons (juice and rinds),
> and 2 cups sugar! That's it!

No eggs?
Those half pint jars are in the fridge for short term storage, right?

--

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>, Misc tab updated 4/21/02
Mother Superior, Holy Order of the Sacred Sisters of St. Pectina

Thierry Gerbault

May 9, 2002, 1:19:15 AM5/9/02
"The Hackett Family" <rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote in

I'm going to pick some lemons in the morning. Can't wait to taste it!
Made a super Lemon Meringue Pie last night...

Puester

May 9, 2002, 11:21:47 AM5/9/02

Barb/Melba/Mother Superior:

Seeing the rhubarb sprouting in the garden reminded
me of your rhubarb custard cake recipe. Isn't it time
to post it again for all the newcomers who haven't
been exposed to the magic?

gloria p

Snowfeet1

May 9, 2002, 3:32:37 PM5/9/02
My version of Lemon Curd - it has less sugar and makes about 1 1/4 cups.

Lemon Curd

4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
juice of 3 lemons
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
pinch salt
2 tsp. lemon zest

In top of double boiler, beat the yolks and sugar until well blended. Stir in
the remaining ingredients except the lemon zest. Cook over medium-low heat,
stirring constantly, until thickened and mixture coats a wooden spoon. Do not
overcook. Remove from heat, strain, and add lemon zest and cool. Store in
refrigerator in airtight container.

The Hackett Family

May 9, 2002, 6:40:09 PM5/9/02

--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com>, Misc tab updated 4/21/02

-----------

Yeah, 5 eggs too... I was VERY distracted by the 3 y/o while typing the note
and wasn't even intending upon posting a full-fledged recipe.... I was just
so tickled that it was so yummy, affordable and virtually a non-effort to
make. LOL

Sorry...

5 Eggs
5 oz butter
3 lemons (rind and juice)
2 cups sugar

Thoroughly mixed together and cooked for 10-15 minutes... jarred and
refrigerated.

aec

May 10, 2002, 5:15:04 AM5/10/02
Puester <pue...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<3CDA94C9...@worldnet.att.net>...

Yeah yeah - good idea!!!
I just made a rhubarb tart last night - mmmmmmmm!
But I noticed that I do not have that many recipes for this fruit
which I adore.
Anne
ps I am particularily interested in favorite rhubarb cobbler and
rhubarb cake recipes.

Rhubarb Tart (from a local school's cookbook)
1 flaky pastry
500 g (about 1 lb) rhubarb, cleaned, (peeled if you're a fanatic like
me), and chopped in slices
200g (a bit more than 1 cup) sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cornflour

Mix the rhubarb, sugar, eggs, cinnamon and cornflour together
Put the pastry in the tart pan
Pour mixture into pan
Cook 10 minutes at 425°F
Then 35 minutes at 375°F
Let it cool before serving.

Thierry Gerbault

May 10, 2002, 5:25:11 AM5/10/02
"The Hackett Family" <rncha...@insightbb.com> wrote in

Made your lemon curd last night and guessed at the eggs. I used 5 (lucky
guess!)

Made a wonderful lemon meringue pie tonight, a recipe originally
published in Bon Appetit. I used regular pie pastry in place of the
hazelnut shortbread crust.

LEMON MERINGUE PIE WITH HAZELNUT SHORTBREAD CRUST

CRUST
1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted, husked
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 large egg yolk
1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon salt

Grind nuts finely in processor. Add flour and blend well. Add remaining
ingredients. Using on/off turns, process just until moist clumps form.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Gather dough into ball;
flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill until firm enough to roll,
about 45 minutes.

Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 325 F. Roll out dough
between sheets of waxed paper to 12-inch round, turning over occasionally
to lift and smooth paper. Peel off top sheet of paper. Using bottom paper
as aid, lift dough and invert into 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Peel
off paper. Press dough gently into dish. Fold overhang under; crimp to
form decorative edge. Pierce crust all over with fork. Chill 15 minutes.
Line crust with foil. Fill with dried beans or pie weights. Bake crust
until sides are set, about 15 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake until
crust is pale golden, about 20 minutes longer. Transfer crust to rack and
cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 300 F.

FILLING
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 large egg yolks
5 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
Whisk first 7 ingredients in heavy medium saucepan to blend. Using whisk,
stir over medium heat until filling thickens and just begins to boil,
about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in butter. Spoon hot filling
into prepared crust.

MERINGUE
7 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 1/8 cups powdered sugar
Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large stainless steel bowl at
low speed until foamy. Beat in cream of tartar and 1 tablespoon sugar.
Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat at medium
speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes. Spread meringue
over warm filling, covering completely, sealing meringue to crust edges
and mounding in center. Bake pie for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature
to 275 F and continue to bake until meringue is golden brown and set when
pie is shaken slightly, about 50 minutes. Transfer pie to rack and cool
completely, about 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate
uncovered.)

Makes one 9-inch pie crust.

Bon Appétit
February 1997

Joanie

May 10, 2002, 7:28:20 AM5/10/02
In article <3CDA94C9...@worldnet.att.net>
Puester <pue...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

I found one on Recipesource.com and another in rec.food.recipes
but have a question. The former has the stick of butter and
the latter doesn't. Seems like a stick of butter is excessive
but does anyone know?

Rhubarb Cake Dessert

Recipe By : Kathy Schmuecker
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

1 yellow cake mix
4 Cups rhubarb -- finely chopped
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 Cup whipping cream

Lightly grease a 9x13 cake pan. Mix cake mix as on the package; add one
stick of melted butter. Pour cake mix into the prepared pan. Pour
rhubarb over the cake mix; pour sugar over the rhubarb. Slowly pour
the cream over the sugar. Important, do not stir. Bake at 350 degrees
for 1 hour or until rhubarb is tender and dessert is bubbling. Top
with whipped cream, if desired.

Joanie

Puester

May 10, 2002, 11:30:03 AM5/10/02
aec wrote:

> I just made a rhubarb tart last night - mmmmmmmm!
> But I noticed that I do not have that many recipes for this fruit
> which I adore.
> Anne

Here's one:

Rhubarb Springtime Coffeecake

Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Topping-- Mix together till crumbly, then set aside:
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. Butter

Cake batter:
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 egg
2 c. flour sifted with 1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 1/2 c. chopped rhubarb
8 oz. sour cream (can use fat free or low fat) or plain yogurt

Cream together sugars and butter, add egg, mix well. Add dry
ingredients alternately with yogurt or sour cream. Stir in rhubarb.
Spoon in to prepared pan. Sprinkle topping over the cake.
Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
Serve warm or cold.

P Haine

May 10, 2002, 11:47:21 AM5/10/02
Yum!

Cheers!
Peg (just returned from cyberHell)

Nancy Young

May 10, 2002, 12:12:36 PM5/10/02

There's a recipe for Rhubarb Crisp with Buttermilk Ice Cream
in the issue of Bon Appetit I got today. I'll key it in if
anyone is interested.

nancy

hahabogus

May 10, 2002, 12:56:54 PM5/10/02
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in

I'm interested

Nancy Young

May 10, 2002, 1:44:20 PM5/10/02
hahabogus wrote:

> Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in

> > There's a recipe for Rhubarb Crisp with Buttermilk Ice Cream

> > in the issue of Bon Appetit I got today. I'll key it in if
> > anyone is interested.
> >

> I'm interested

Rhubarb Crisp with Buttermilk Ice Cream

from the Asher Restaurant in Roswell Georgia
printed in the June 2002 Bon Appetit

24 ounces fresh rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
(about 5 cups)
2/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Streusel:

2/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375F. Mix all ingredients in large bowl to combine.
Divide mixture among six 1 cup ramekins. Place ramekins on large
baking sheet and bake 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare streusel:

Mix golden brown sugar, chopped walnuts, flour and butter in a medium
bowl. Crumble streusel over rhubarb, dividing equally. Bake until
rhubarb is bubbling and streusel is golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Serve crisps warm with a scoop of Buttermilk Ice Cream. (posting
recipe separately)

Starsha

May 10, 2002, 3:41:42 PM5/10/02

"Snowfeet1" <snow...@aol.com> wrote

> Lemon Curd
>
> 4 large egg yolks
> 1/2 cup sugar
> juice of 3 lemons
> 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
> pinch salt
> 2 tsp. lemon zest
>

> In top of double boiler, beat the yolks and sugar until
well blended. Stir in
> the remaining ingredients except the lemon zest. Cook
over medium-low heat,
> stirring constantly, until thickened and mixture coats a
wooden spoon. Do not
> overcook. Remove from heat, strain, and add lemon zest
and cool. Store in
> refrigerator in airtight container.

Here's a very similar recipe for a curd with a little kick.

Zesty Lime Curd

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
juice of 5 limes
1 cube butter
pinch salt
1 tsp. lime zest
1 tsp. VERY finely minced jalapeno pepper

Beat yolks and sugar until well blended, over double boiler.
Stir in the remaining ingredients except lime zest. Cook

over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened

and mixture coats spoon. Do not overcook. Remove from
heat, add zest, and cool. Cover and refrigerate. Good with
cream cheese on dark breads.

Lobo

May 10, 2002, 11:06:58 PM5/10/02
Mom always took this torte to church and family gatherings and everyone
loved it. Personally, I think it's way too sickening sweet and I hate
meringue, but I was most definitely in the minority. Make the change in
parens if you like things more tart as I do ... and see the next 2 recipes
which I love.

MOM'S RHUBARB TORTE
1 c. flour
2 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. butter.
Blend til crumbly. Put in 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 325 20 minutes.

FILLING:
2.5 c. sugar (1.5)
4 T. flour
2/3 c. cream (sweet or sour)
4.5 c. rhubarb, cut fine
6 egg yolks
Cook until thick and tender. Spread on crust.

MERINGUE:
6 egg whites, beaten stiff and then add:
1 t. cream of tarter
3/4 c. sugar

Brown and serve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RHUBARB, APPLE AND GINGER CRISP

1.5 lbs rhubarb
2 lbs. Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cut in bite size pieces
1 c. raisins
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1" piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
1 t. vanilla
2 T. cornstarch

Topping:
1.5 sticks unsalted butter (12 T.)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. sugar
1.5 c. flour
1 t. baking powder
1 c. chopped pecans

Mix rhubarb, apples, raisins, sugars, ginger, vanilla and cornstarch. Put
in 9 x 13 pan.

Melt butter over low. Stir in sugars. Mix flour with baking pd., mix and
stir into sugar mixture. Stir in pecans. Using a fork or blending with
fingers, work into large crumbs and distribute over rhubarb. OR:

Mix frozen butter with other items in food processor until crumbs.

Bake til top is well browned and fruit is bubbling, about 45 minutes at 375.
Serve warm or at room temp.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RHUBARB PIE

About 4 c. rhubarb (to fill the shell)
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 T. flour
1 T. cornstarch
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 t. almond extract
1/2 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. cinnamon
dash each nutmeg and salt
1/2 t. lemon peel

Mix and put in raw pie shell. Dot with 2 T. butter. Cover with another pie
crust. Bake at 350 one hour.
--
Remove the obvious to reply to me personally. Thanks!

Alan Zelt

May 11, 2002, 1:23:06 AM5/11/02

This is a favorite for using the limited amount of rhubarb that we have
growing in large pot.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rustic Strawberry Rhubarb Poppyseed Tarts

Recipe By : Alan Zelt
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:50
Categories : Desserts Fruit
Tart

1 1/2 c flour
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cold butter -- cut into small chunk
4 tbsp lard(best for crust) -- cold
1 lg egg -- beaten
2 tsp cider vinegar
2 1/2 tbsp cold water
2 c rhubarb -- thinly sliced
1 c strawberries -- quartered
6 tbsp Sugar
2 tsp flour

Crust: Mix flour, poppyseeds, sugar, and salt together in large bowl.
Add butter and lard. With pastry blender, combine until mixture forms
pea-sized particles.

In small bowl, mix together 1 Tbsp of beaten egg(reserve rest for egg
wash), vinegar, and 2 1/2tbsp of ice water. Stir into dry mixture with a
fork, until liquid is all absorbed(dough should be fairly moist and
pliable, not crumbly(if too dry, add another tpsp of water).

Form dough into log and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator
for 20 minutes.

Fruit filling: Before assembling tarts, place rhubarb and berries(could
also be blueberries or raspberries) in large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar
and flour. Set aside, and toss together after you have rolled out the
dough.

Preheat oven to 400

Cut chilled dough into four even portions. Working with one piece of the
dough at a time, flatten out each piece into a round disk. On a lightly
floured surface, roll out dough into a round, 1/8" thick by 6-6 1/2".
Cover each piece of dough when finished.

Divide filling evenly among the rolled tart shells, heaping out in the
middle of each. Gather up the edges, about 1 1/2", forming a rustic
looking opening in center(be careful of any holes. Pinch off, or the
filling wil leak).

Using a spatula, carefully place each tart on a lightly sprayed baking
sheet.

Whisk 1 tsp of water into the reserved beaten egg, and lightly brush the
exposed surfaces of the tarts. Sprinkle the tart tops with sugar.

Bake in pre-heated oven for about 30 minutes(until golden brown, and
filling bubbles).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Serving Ideas : rich vanilla ice cream

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

aec

May 11, 2002, 6:13:45 AM5/11/02
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message news:<3CDBF174...@mail.monmouth.com>...

Yes please!
I personally won't make the ice cream, so....but the crisp - yes sirreee!
Thanks
Anne

aec

May 11, 2002, 6:23:38 AM5/11/02
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message news:<3CDC06F4...@mail.monmouth.com>...

Thanks Nancy.
The rhubarb mixture looks really good - nice combination of flavors.
When I make apple crisp, I put something like rolled oats in the
streusel, but I have never thought of using rhubarb in a crisp (now I
have the recipe, I can't imagine why not!)
Anne

Arri London

May 11, 2002, 9:22:22 AM5/11/02

Keeping in mind that rhubarb is a vegetable, why not cook it
as one?

A Swedish acquaintance of mine used to cook rhubarb in a
cream sauce of some sort; however I don't have the recipe.

I would imagine it can be braised like celery, with just
enough sweetening to barely offset the sourness.

Nancy Young

May 11, 2002, 10:15:50 AM5/11/02
aec wrote:

> Thanks Nancy.
> The rhubarb mixture looks really good - nice combination of flavors.
> When I make apple crisp, I put something like rolled oats in the
> streusel, but I have never thought of using rhubarb in a crisp (now I
> have the recipe, I can't imagine why not!)
> Anne

You're very welcome. I'm going to make this, assuming they have
rhubarb in the local supermarket. I don't see why you can't add
oatmeal to the streusel, but what do I know. I posted it because
it caught my eye and people have been asking about rhubarb lately.

nancy

kate

May 11, 2002, 9:36:26 AM5/11/02

Pat Meadows wrote:

> I generally stew rhubarb. Add sugar to taste, add just a
> little water, cook until soft. Sometimes I do this in the
> microwave, sometimes on the stove.
>
> I consider it a dessert though, not a vegetable, and serve
> in a dish, with (or without) whipped cream on top.
>
> Pat

We use to put it in a casseole dish and put a lot of brown sugar on it and bake while the biscuits were
baking. A great combination for breakfast . Hot biscuits and hot baked rhubarb. Kate

Melba's Jammin'

May 11, 2002, 5:58:41 PM5/11/02
In article <abgask$4p8$1...@cruncher.dfci.harvard.edu>,
joa...@wmbr.mit.edu (Joanie) wrote:

Hey!!! Is your name Barb/Melba/Mother Superior? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?
"-)
I'll post the correct recipe in response to the OP. Harummpphh!!
(Maybe the stick of butter goes in the Yellow Cake Mix with Butter
Recipe Mix)

Peter Watson

May 11, 2002, 7:05:58 PM5/11/02
in article barbschaller-A6F8...@News.CIS.DFN.DE, Melba's
Jammin' at barbsc...@earthlink.net wrote on 12/5/02 7:58 AM:

Oooohhhhh who neads another holiday in Australia then......

Peter

ps... g'day Barb, how's it going, Jon and I are off to Malaysia for 10 days.
Great food, lotsa swimming and lotsa friends to see.

Melba's Jammin'

May 11, 2002, 7:36:24 PM5/11/02
In article <3CDA94C9...@worldnet.att.net>,
pue...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

Why, yes, Gloria, yes, it is! Thenkyew for asking.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Rhubarb Custard Cake

Recipe By: Barb Schaller, posted to r.f.c. more than once
Serving Size: 18

Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
Two-layer yellow cake mix
4 cups chopped rhubarb (not too finely cut, maybe 1/3-1/2" pieces)
1 cup granulated sugar
1 pint whipping cream (2 cups)

Prepare batter for cake mix according to package directions; turn into
greased and floured 9x13" pan. Dump the chopped rhubarb on top of the
cake batter. Sprinkle the sugar on top of the rhubarb. Pour the
whipping cream (unwhipped) over the sugar. Bake at 350? for 50-60
minutes, until cake springs back when lightly touched.

Cream, sugar, and rhubarb sink to bottom, forming a custard layer.
Makes 1-18 (depending on how you cut it!!) dee-vine servings.

----------
Notes: Source: Star Tribune Taste Section 5/25/88. Halve the recipe
(Jiffy one-layer cake mix) and use a 9" square pan; bake ?45 minutes.
(5/16/95.) If the pan isn't 3" deep, remove about 1/3 cup of batter
before baking -- so make a couple cupcakes. Or one. Else you gonna
have a mess on your hands.

Per serving: 140 Calories; 10g Fat (62% calories from fat); 1g Protein;
13g Carbohydrate; 36mg Cholesterol; 11mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates
_____

Jean B.

May 11, 2002, 8:36:59 PM5/11/02

> Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message news:<3CDC06F4...@mail.monmouth.com>...

> > Rhubarb Crisp with Buttermilk Ice Cream

> > from the Asher Restaurant in Roswell Georgia
> > printed in the June 2002 Bon Appetit
> >
> > 24 ounces fresh rhubarb, trimmed, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
> > (about 5 cups)
> > 2/3 cup sugar
> > 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
> > 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
> > 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
> > 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> >
> > Streusel:
> >
> > 2/3 cup packed golden brown sugar
> > 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
> > 1/4 cup all purpose flour
> > 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

[snip]

Oooh. That looks good, Nancy. I like the fact that there's only 2
Tbsp butter in the topping too.

Jean B.

Gene Davidson

May 12, 2002, 12:24:19 PM5/12/02
Cyndis' Lemon Curd,
Perhaps you forgot to mention if the butter was salted or not.
Did you cook it in a double boiler or just on a low flame?
In any case, try making fried pies with it. Use a puff pastry crust and
deep fry them. Talk about good.
Happy eating.
Gene...

The Hackett Family

May 12, 2002, 2:00:44 PM5/12/02
-----------------

The recipe called for unsalted butter but I was out of it... salted worked
fine.

I actually cooked it in one of my regular pans but placed on a diffuser
(Flame tamer kind of thing).

So far, my favorite way to eat it is with a spoon! Thanks for the
suggestion, though. LOL
Cyndi

Chris and Bob Neidecker

May 13, 2002, 12:02:38 AM5/13/02

"Snowfeet1" <snow...@aol.com> wrote in message

I've never made lemon curd before, and I've never bought it in a jar before,
so please bear with me. I have a lot of questions about the straining part.
What is there to strain? Bits of pulp from the juice/ If you cook it until
it's thickened, what do you use to strain...a fine mesh-type strainer? How
long does it take all this stuff to drip through it?

Confused.
Chris

hahabogus

May 13, 2002, 12:25:44 AM5/13/02
"Chris and Bob Neidecker" <neid...@erols.com> wrote in

You strain it to remove any lumps and it doesn't take long if you help it
by using a spoon to help push it thru.

Lumps could be bits of over cooked egg or seeds or pulp or just lumps
caused by not stirring enough..

Use a fine mesh strainer.

Nothing could be finer than homemade curd on warm biscuts, waffles,
pancakes or in tarts.

Isn't lemon cheese another name for lemon curd?

sf

May 13, 2002, 12:36:29 AM5/13/02

I've only made lemon curd once... it came out perfectly and I don't
remember straining it.
`````````````````````````````````````````

The Hackett Family

May 13, 2002, 8:22:08 PM5/13/02

"sf" <s...@pipeline.com> wrote in message

I've only made lemon curd once... it came out perfectly and I don't
remember straining it.

My recipe doesn't call for nor need straining, either. I dunno.

PING Chris - try mine. I'll post a recipe if you need. It turned out
wonderful, was extremely easy and takes virtually no time at all, to make.

Cyndi