Tortierre recipe wanted

Tara & Guy

Jan 12, 2002, 9:29:59 PM1/12/02
Hi
I'd like a recipe for the French-Canadian meat pie spelled something like
tortierre if any has it. The one I had had a flaky crust a good deal of
cloves. (Not like Shepherd's Pie) Thanks!
Later,
Tara

PS For anyone who knows me, Hi! Zander is on table food now (11 months old)
and we have a lot of fun. He loves steak and seafood! Teaching is going
well :-)
Best wishes!

Puester

Jan 12, 2002, 9:10:22 PM1/12/02
Tara & Guy wrote:

> Hi
> I'd like a recipe for the French-Canadian meat pie spelled something like
> tortierre if any has it. The one I had had a flaky crust a good deal of
> cloves. (Not like Shepherd's Pie) Thanks!
> Later,
> Tara

I found this one among a lot of others in Google:

Reveillon Tourtiere
A traditional French Canadian dish that is served after midnight Mass.

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 pounds ground pork
1 1/2 cups beef stock or broth
3 onions finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
2 cups sliced mushrooms (I've never had one with mushrooms!)
1 cup finely chopped celery
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, pepper and dried savory
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Pastry for 9-inch double crust pie (see recipe)
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon water

1.In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook pork until no longer
pink; drain. Stir in stock, onions, garlic, mushrooms, celery and spices.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered, stirring
occasionally, for 35 to 45 minutes.
2.Remove from heat and stir in bread crumbs and parsley. Adjust seasonings
if necessary. Transfer mixture to a covered bowl and refrigerate until
chilled or overnight.
3.Spoon filling into prepared pie shell. Moisten rim of pie shell with
water. Cover with top pastry, pressing edges to seal. Trim and flute
pastry edge.
4.Combine egg with water. Brush some over pastry. Cut steam vents in top.
Bake in a 375*F (190*C) oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Let cool for 10 minutes.

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Note: Can be frozen before baking. Thaw in refrigerator for 6 hours. Bake
for 1 1/4 hours shielding edge with foil if necessary.

gloria p

Damsel in dis Dress

Jan 12, 2002, 10:00:44 PM1/12/02
Tara & Guy <pr...@erols.com> said:

>Hi
>I'd like a recipe for the French-Canadian meat pie spelled something like
>tortierre if any has it. The one I had had a flaky crust a good deal of
>cloves. (Not like Shepherd's Pie) Thanks!

Here's Michel Boucher's grandmother's recipe:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/michel.html

Tourtière à mon arrière grand-mère (Michel Boucher)

a. Count 1 lb of not too lean ground pork per tourtière (you want more
than 10% fat...I have found that that's too lean). Mix meat, per lb,
with:
b. one small clove of garlic, minced
c. one small onion, minced
d. 1/2 tsp salt
e. white pepper/savory/ground cloves to taste, roughly 1/4 tsp per lb.
(in other words, taste the meat; this has to be achieved by
experimentation as usually you will be making more than 1 lb of meat at
a time)
f. a small amount of water (it keeps the meat tender and helps to
steam it a bit as well as browning it)

Sauté the meat gently until it is lightly browned, no pink, and very
little liquid is left (if it looks like it will cook too long while
waiting for the liquid to evaporate, drain some it). Place into prepared
pie plates. Bake in 350F oven for 30-45 minutes, until surface is
browned. Serve with pickled beets.

As you can see, it isn't a precise thing. :-) Also, always use white
pepper (if you don't already) in preparing any dish. Black pepper is
fine for the table, but white pepper is best for flavouring during the
cooking. The water trick is common when cooking pork. It keeps the
meat from hardening in the cooking process. I also use a few judicious
handfuls of water in pork meat when making ragoût de boulettes (or as
it's sometimes called "ragoût de patte") and the meat is always VERY
tender.

Keep in mind that a tourtière is not a very strong tasting dish.
However, it should be fragrant when coming out of the oven.

For a very good crust, Madame Benoit offers the following:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
pinch turmeric
1/4 tsp. savory
1/2 cup pure lard
1/3 cup ice water
1/3 cup butter

Stir the flour, salt, baking soda, turmeric and savory together in a
bowl. Cut in the lard, or mix with a pastry blender or two knives until
the particles are about the size of peas. Add ice water by the
tablespoon (15 mL), stirring with a fork or the tips of your fingers,
until just enough has been added so that you can pat the dough into a
ball. (Since flour varies, you may not need all the water.) Handle the
dough as little as possible at this stage.

Roll out the pastry, dot with the butter, and roll up toward you like a
jelly roll, and roll out again in a flat sheet. Roll out again 2 or 3
times. Refrigerate a few hours before using.

--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Zelda

Jan 13, 2002, 10:39:00 AM1/13/02

Tara & Guy wrote in message ...

>Hi
>I'd like a recipe for the French-Canadian meat pie spelled something like
>tortierre if any has it. The one I had had a flaky crust a good deal of
>cloves. (Not like Shepherd's Pie) Thanks!
>Later,
>Tara

Here's my favorite that I make at Christmas-time:

Pork Pie (French Canadian Tortierre)

3 cups mashed potatoes 3/4 tsp allspice
3 lbs lean ground pork 1 tbsp. salt
1 cup water 1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg 1 large onion, chopped

Put meat in saucepan and add water, spices, and onion. Let cook 30 min's
over medium heat, stirring often. Remove from heat and add mashed potatoes.
Mix well and let cool. Divide between two pie crust-lined pans, top with
second crust, make vents and bake in 450 F oven for 30 min's or until
well-browned. Makes 2 9" pies.
(this uses allspice rather than cloves but I bet you could use half of each
yummily! :) Zelda

gary_bauer

Jan 13, 2002, 1:49:39 PM1/13/02
Hello Tara and Guy,

The recipe below is actually the one we have used every year at Christmas
for several years. We are no longer in Canada and as the family is
scattered, we do not have a Christmas Eve dinner. We serve it at our annual
tree trimming Christmas party, however, and there is never a crumb left.
The pastry recipe we use is

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into bits
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 to 3 tablespoons ice water

Let the dough rest an hour in the refrigerator before rolling out. Use an
egg wash to get a nicely golden crust for the tortiere.

Good luck.

Wendy and Gary

"Puester" <pue...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

Dave Smith

Jan 13, 2002, 5:44:39 PM1/13/02
Tara & Guy wrote:

> I'd like a recipe for the French-Canadian meat pie spelled something like
> tortierre if any has it. The one I had had a flaky crust a good deal of
> cloves. (Not like Shepherd's Pie) Thanks!

There are lots of variations of tortiere. Some have cloves and potatoes, some
don't. The most popular tortieres I made had no cloves or potato. I just fried
up some ground pork with a little bit of minced garlic and onion and salt and
pepper. I used a shortening pie crust (Crisco recipe). Check out Emeril's
recipe. It called for dicing potato and soaking it over night in water, and a
mixture of ground pork, beef and veal. I tried it and it is very good.