Garam masala

Larry Preuss

May 23, 2001, 8:27:40 PM5/23/01
I would like to hear how people who prepare their own garam masala do
so. There is no "proper" recipe, as the preparation is highly
individualized as to components, proportions, whether dry pan roasted
before grinding, when added to a dish during preparation, etc.

I will start discussion by saying that not only do I prefer Telicherry
peppercorns, but think of them as particularly appropriate as a part of
garam masala.

Larry

Karen O'Mara

May 23, 2001, 8:44:54 PM5/23/01
Larry Preuss wrote:

What's the difference between a garam masala and a curry? Both are mixes
of spices, aren't they?

--
Karen O'
37:23:10 N

Larry Preuss

May 23, 2001, 9:29:12 PM5/23/01
In article <3B0C5985...@randomgraphics.com>, Karen O'Mara
<ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote:

I have thought that any food prepared with a sauce is a curry, in
Indian terminology. That sauce could conceivably contain only one spice
or one herb, or many, could be "spicy" or not, and could be a dry curry
or a wet curry. Garam masala is a set mixture of spices that is added
by the measureful to a dish during preparation, usually late in the
preparation, and that dish may already be or not be a curry. Maybe we
in the West use "curry powder" as an Indian would use garam masala.
I think. I would be glad to have my terminology corrected.
As an example: I prepare a dal by frying onions, adding cayenne to
them, and than adding the pre-soaked dal and chicken stock, and
simmering. This is my curry. At the end of the simmering time I briefly
fry (heat) a bit of garam masala in a small amount of vegetable oil,
add it to the pot, mix and serve. This way the spices in the garam
retain their desireable volatile components that would otherwise be
lost during prolonged stewing.
Larry

Karen O'Mara

May 24, 2001, 12:38:41 AM5/24/01
Larry Preuss wrote:

> I have thought that any food prepared with a sauce is a curry, in
> Indian terminology. That sauce could conceivably contain only one spice
> or one herb, or many, could be "spicy" or not, and could be a dry curry
> or a wet curry. Garam masala is a set mixture of spices that is added
> by the measureful to a dish during preparation, usually late in the
> preparation, and that dish may already be or not be a curry. Maybe we
> in the West use "curry powder" as an Indian would use garam masala.
> I think. I would be glad to have my terminology corrected.
> As an example: I prepare a dal by frying onions, adding cayenne to
> them, and than adding the pre-soaked dal and chicken stock, and
> simmering. This is my curry. At the end of the simmering time I briefly
> fry (heat) a bit of garam masala in a small amount of vegetable oil,
> add it to the pot, mix and serve. This way the spices in the garam
> retain their desireable volatile components that would otherwise be
> lost during prolonged stewing.

Thanks... makes sense. What is the definition of dal? (eek, I thought it was
bread. I know I'm way off.)

Is it...fried onions?

Jim Pirko

May 24, 2001, 1:09:44 AM5/24/01
>> I would like to hear how people who prepare their own garam masala do so.

>What's the difference between a garam masala and a curry? Both are mixes

>of spices, aren't they?

I believe masala is a generic term for a spice mix which does not include
turmeric. I think garam masla means 'hot spices' (Jaffrey). If turmeric is
included it is then called curry.

Garam Masala (unknown)
5 T peppercorns
4 T cumin
4 T coriander seed
2 T cinnamon
2 T cloves
2 T cardamom pods

Garam masala (Jaffrey)
1 T cardamom pods
2 inch stick of cinnamon
1 t black (or regular) cumin seeds
1 t peppercorns
1/4 of an average size nutmeg

Obviously grind them fine. No toasting. Black cumin is quite interesting if
you can find it. It smells like a cigar.

I highly recommend a book called 'A World of Curries', Dave Dewitt and
Arthur Pais.
It contains chapters for India, Asia, Caribbean, Africa, and Spice Islands.
There is a lot of interesting information about the history of spices and
the impact of trade on the various cultures.

Vijay Kumar

May 24, 2001, 1:31:16 AM5/24/01
As a native Indian, allow me to jump in.

Garam Masala is similar to curry powder, in the sense it is meant to be used
with the same level of convenience. Masala literally translates to mixture
(of spices in this case). Whether or not turmeric is included is regional.

Interesting point to note is that Garam Masala is used in North Indian
cooking. The so called curry powder is derived from South Indian cooking,
ala Saambaar, Rasam etc. In fact curry (Kari) is the word for vegetables /
meat cooked in a spicy mixture. Not to be confused with Curry leaves which
is an essential ingedient in South Indain cooking. Confused? Just ask and
I'll try to answer.

"Jim Pirko" <jpi...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

Larry Preuss

May 24, 2001, 4:02:53 AM5/24/01
In article <3B0C904B...@randomgraphics.com>, Karen O'Mara
<ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote:

> Thanks... makes sense. What is the definition of dal? (eek, I thought it was
> bread. I know I'm way off.)
>
> Is it...fried onions?
>

> --
> Karen O'
> 37:23:10 N
> 122:04:58 W

Lentils, to be precise, but the word is usually applied to all dried
beans and peas.
Larry

PENMART01

May 24, 2001, 5:54:00 AM5/24/01
Karen O'Mara <ka...@randomgraphics.com> writes:

>What's the difference between a garam masala and a curry?

The second the dish containing the first.

>Both are mixes of spices, aren't they?

No, see above. Then peruse *curry* & *curry powder*, see below.

garum masala [gah-RAHM mah-SAH-lah]
Garam is the Indian word for "warm" or "hot," and this blend of dry-roasted,
ground spices from the colder climes of northern India adds a sense of "warmth"
to both palate and spirit. There are as many variations of garam masala (which
may contain up to 12 spices) as there are Indian cooks. It can include BLACK
PEPPER, CINNAMON, CLOVES, CORIANDER, CUMIN, CARDAMOM, DRIED CHILES, FENNEL,
MACE, NUTMEG and other spices. Garam masala may be purchased in Indian markets
and in the gourmet section of some supermarkets. It's also easily prepared at
home, but should be made in small batches to retain its freshness. As with all
spices, it should be stored in a cool, dry place for no more than 6 months.
Garam masala is usually either added to a dish toward the end of cooking or
sprinkled over the surface just before serving.
---
curry
From the southern Indian word kari , meaning "sauce," comes this catch-all term
that is used to refer to any number of hot, spicy, gravy-based dishes of East
Indian origin. CURRY POWDER is an integral ingredient in all curries.
---
curry powder
Widely used in Indian cooking, authentic Indian curry powder is freshly ground
each day and can vary dramatically depending on the region and the cook. Curry
powder is actually a pulverized blend of up to 20 spices, herbs and seeds.
Among those most commonly used are cardamom, chiles, cinnamon, cloves,
coriander, cumin, fennel seed, fenugreek, mace, nutmeg, red and black pepper,
poppy and sesame seeds, saffron, tamarind and turmeric (the latter is what
gives curried dishes their characteristic yellow color). Commercial curry
powder (which bears little resemblance to the freshly ground blends of southern
India) comes in two basic styles — standard, and the hotter of the two,
"Madras." Since curry powder quickly loses its pungency, it should be stored,
airtight, no longer than 2 months. For information on specific spices used in
this blend, see individual listings.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Sheldon
````````````

Peter G. Aitken

May 24, 2001, 10:22:16 AM5/24/01

"Karen O'Mara" <ka...@randomgraphics.com> wrote in message

A "masala" is simply a spice blend, and needless to say there are jillions
of recipes. Garam masala is the classic masala of the north, and curry
powder is the classic southern masala. If you want some rule to tell one
from the other, I cannot help. However here are two of myu favorites (from
Julie Sahni). Make them up fresh, of course

Curry powder:

1/2c coriander seeds
15 dry red chili pods
1/2 TB cumin seeds
1./2 TB mustard seeds
1/2 TB fenugreek seeds
1/2 TB black peppercorns
15-20 dry or fresh curry leaves (optional)
3 TB turmeric powder

Put first 6 ingredients in a spice mill and process to a fine powder and
remove to a bowl. If using fresh curry leaves, dry them in a warm frying
pan. Grind curry leaves then add them and the turmeric to the bowl. Mix
thoroughly. Reduce or eliminate the chili pods for a milder curry powder.

Garam masala

1/4c cumin seeds
1/4c coriander seeds
1-1/2 TB cardamom seeds (removed from the pods)
2 whole cinnamon sticks
1/2 TB whole cloves
3 TB black peppercorns
4 crumbled bay leaves
1/2 tsp ground mace

Heat a heavy frying pan and add all ingrediends except the mace. Dry-roast,
stirring continually, until they turn darker and give off a spicy aroma,
about 10 minutes. Let them cool completely then grind to a powder in a spice
mill. Add the mace and mix well.

Enjoy!

Peter G. Aitken

Peter G. Aitken

May 24, 2001, 10:26:31 AM5/24/01

"Larry Preuss" <LPr...@provide.net> wrote in message

Actually all beans are dal. THus yellow lentils = toovar dal, mung beans =
moong dal, pink lentils = masar dal, tepary beans = moth dal, and so on.

Peter G. Aitken

blacksalt

May 24, 2001, 12:00:57 PM5/24/01

From a post of mine, years ago:

Just in case anyone has the hankering to grind quite a bit of this at
home, I have honed my skills on the last 4 pounds I ground.
Basic recipe:
2 C whole coriander
1 cup cumin
3 inches fat cinnamon
3 heaping teas of whole clove
5 teas. whole black pepper
scant single teas. of ajwain (optional)
7-8 whole green cardamon pods

For small portions, reduce while keeping in ratio and use one of those
Braun-style coffee grinders. If you use yours for coffee, clean it with
a cloth and then grind white rice, then clean again. Repeat this after
grinding the masala unless you don't mind flavoured coffee (could be
worse).
For the above size, grinds best in a small Kerr or Ball jar (not wide
mouth) screwed into the base of an oster blender and ground on HIGH.
For larger (double, triple), grind the coriander and cumin ONLY in a
cuisinart as fine as the old cuiney can get it, then move over to the
oster method. Grind all the other ingredients in the Oster cup. To put
clove and black pepper into a cuisinart is asking for a 'frosted' work
bowl (guess how I know).
Sift your grindings through a mesh that is 25/inch. A tamais gives you
good sides to slosh the masala back and forth in. Anything that doesn't
fall through, grind again. You will eventually get to an amount of
rather flavourless tough, granular stuff (it comes from the coriander
and a bit from the cumin). Toss this. It is all chew and no bite, and I
could only get it through the tamais by hand cranking it through my
German bolt-on-counter grain grinder which I use for crushing caraway
and grinding those-spices-that murder-electric-grinders (e.g. allspice),
only to find it had less flavour than human hair.
And need I say...start with good spice. Penzey's sells good stuff by the
pound. A pound of coriander is 6 cups, and a pound of cumin is 3.
To store, seal tightly in a jar and stick in the freezer, leaving out
only that which you'll use in a week. Keeps very well this way.
Any other brilliant schemes for making this process easier would be
warmly embraced.
<end paste>
I have taken to making a gallon at a time, and freezing it. Remember, I
give alot away....
Nowadays, my first grinding step is to run the cumin and coriander ONLY
through the Kitchen aid grain grinder at med-fine.
Please note that this recipe has alot of cumin and coriander. Many
recipes call for a GM that is mostly the "other" ingredients, and then
have their own, often whole, cumin added. My recipe is from my ex-MIL,
who is as Panjabi as they get.
blacksalt
who uses Tellicherry as well.