What Would You Add?

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 23, 2001, 1:20:36 AM9/23/01
If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
recommends 3-4 from each person.

Right now, I'm thinking of:
Gingersnaps (of course!)
Cottage Pie
Dilled Potato Salad
Chunky Split Pea Soup

Damsel
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Christine Ashby

Sep 23, 2001, 2:36:24 AM9/23/01

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Pumpkin and Bacon Soup
Chocolate Bicuits/Cookies
Parsnip Skordalia

None of them original creations, you understand, just things that I
particularly like making.

Christine
(who thinks a cookbook is a great idea, if somebody else does the work!)

Darkginger

Sep 23, 2001, 6:10:58 AM9/23/01

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel

Kung Pao Chicken (non authentic)
Curried lentil soup
Tarragon hollandaise
Easy smoked mackerel pāté

Jo

Jill McQuown

Sep 23, 2001, 7:48:35 AM9/23/01
"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message

Only FOUR? ;-) Dang...

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
Thai Dumplings
Potatoes Au Gratin
Sole Piccata

Jill

Aquari

Sep 23, 2001, 8:49:12 AM9/23/01
>> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
>> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
>> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>>
>> Right now, I'm thinking of:
>> Gingersnaps (of course!)
>> Cottage Pie
>> Dilled Potato Salad
>> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>>
>> Damsel
>> --

Pilaf
Vegetable Beef Soup
BBQ Beans
Fiesta Chicken

Damsel, are you keeping this info or do I need to?

Thanks,
Libby

MH

Sep 23, 2001, 11:12:43 AM9/23/01

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel
> --

Country Wheat Bread
Quick Gravlax
Spicey Pecan-Peach Cake
Lemon Squares
Morning After Potatoes

MH

Sep 23, 2001, 11:16:21 AM9/23/01

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel

OK, I've narrowed it down:

Country Wheat Bread
Lemon Squares
MorningAfter Potatoes
Quick Gravlax

Grandma

Sep 23, 2001, 11:39:36 AM9/23/01

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel

I'd be happy to help with the assembly, indexing etc. since I know that
you're going to be out of commission for a bit. Also, I happen to have a
listserver if you would like to move this discussion off the NG so as not to
clutter things up.

Grandma

minnie

Sep 23, 2001, 11:42:56 AM9/23/01

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel

Almond Joy Bars
Chicken and Leek Pie
Italian Sausage Soup
Chicken, Ham and Pecan Salad

S. Dunlap

Sep 23, 2001, 11:27:27 AM9/23/01

"Damsel in dis Dress" <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
: If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty

: work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
: recommends 3-4 from each person.
:
: Right now, I'm thinking of:
: Gingersnaps (of course!)
: Cottage Pie
: Dilled Potato Salad
: Chunky Split Pea Soup
:
: Damsel

Biscochitos
Soapaipillas
Bay Islands White Bread

Sandi

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 23, 2001, 11:55:05 AM9/23/01
aqu...@aol.comNOJUNK (Aquari) wrote:

>Pilaf
>Vegetable Beef Soup
>BBQ Beans
>Fiesta Chicken
>
>Damsel, are you keeping this info or do I need to?

I'm keeping track, Libby. Thanks for playing along!

Carol

Cyndi

Sep 23, 2001, 12:20:49 PM9/23/01
Artichoke Dip
Beer Bread
Frozen Citrus Pie
Tomato Pie

--
Cyndi

Cyndi

Sep 23, 2001, 12:21:36 PM9/23/01
Can I add Oven-BBQ Beef, too?

--
Cyndi
"S. Dunlap" <mal...@gte.net> wrote in message

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 23, 2001, 12:23:40 PM9/23/01
"Cyndi" <rncha...@home.com> wrote:

>Can I add Oven-BBQ Beef, too?

<Grin> Sure!

Dams

Archon

Sep 23, 2001, 12:53:02 PM9/23/01

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.

One question: I don't know about you, but most of my recipies come from
another book or magazine either found by me or passed on to me from a
family member. Won't that cause a copyright conflict - even if they are
a little tweaked?

Michael Nielsen
Computer Vision and Graphics at Aalborg University

Project: http://www.vrmedialab.dk/~archon
Music: http://mp3.com/archon2
Website: http://www.archonia.dk

notbob

Sep 23, 2001, 1:01:18 PM9/23/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.

Now DD, what do you mean? If you just want to collect a bunch of
recipes, this thread is moving along predictably. But, if you really
want recipes that reflect RFC, we must dig down to the nitty-gritty.
Such a book would be inaccurate if it did not include:

1. The $25,000 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus.
2. Boiled Spareribs
3. A whole chapter on the pros and cons of beets
4. 1001 Ways to Hard Boil an Egg

nb

Sheryl Rosen

Sep 23, 2001, 1:01:34 PM9/23/01
In article <knfr7.2355$cu4.1...@ozemail.com.au>,
"Christine Ashby" <cma...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

Pot Roasted Brisket
Lemon Basil Chicken
Eggplant Salad
My Grandma's strudel

(basically, signature dishes and family favorites, and things that other
people don't really make, but might like to)

--
Sheryl
~~Live like there's no tomorrow

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 23, 2001, 1:15:46 PM9/23/01
notbob <not...@NOThome.com> wrote:

>Now DD, what do you mean? If you just want to collect a bunch of
>recipes, this thread is moving along predictably. But, if you really
>want recipes that reflect RFC, we must dig down to the nitty-gritty.
>Such a book would be inaccurate if it did not include:
>
>1. The $25,000 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus.
>2. Boiled Spareribs
>3. A whole chapter on the pros and cons of beets
>4. 1001 Ways to Hard Boil an Egg

Heehee! I believe the FAQ includes some oft-requested recipes. We should
definitely include those in the cookbook!

Good idea!

Archon

Sep 23, 2001, 1:37:39 PM9/23/01

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.

1. Chocolate Coconut Slices (Chokolade-Kokos-Snitter)
2. Pork roast with curly kale and sugarbrowned potatoes.
3. Ris a'la Mande
4. Pork Stew with oranges

And I suggest a chapter with the easiest snacks and desserts that can be
made in a flash ;)

Robbyn

Sep 23, 2001, 2:24:31 PM9/23/01
>If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
>work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
>recommends 3-4 from each person.

Harvest Chicken Stew
Avocado Salad
Franken-Pizza (atrichoke/pesto)
Rum Cake

None of these is gourmet fare, but they're original (except that rum
cake, but that has some original twists!) and they're good :)

Robbyn
To reach me by email, send to robbyn1 at mindspring dot com.
Sorry for the inconvenience, but the spam was getting
to be to much!

Jill McQuown

Sep 23, 2001, 2:17:41 PM9/23/01
"Archon" <arc...@gvdnet.dk> wrote in message

I'm telling ya, Michael, you're gonna get diabetes if you keep eating all
that sugar! <G> The pork stew sounded delicious when you first told me
about it, I may have to give it a try soon.

Jill

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 23, 2001, 5:54:19 PM9/23/01
In article <Ymnr7.10339$Hx1.9...@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,
"Grandma" <kr...@earthlink.com> wrote:

My God, Woman, move it to a list server when it's ON TOPIC? That's
droll. This has more to do with food than damn near anything else in
the last week and a half.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Chicken Chili

Recipe By: Dave Syke¹s recipe from 2001 FoodShare Chili Contest
Serving Size: 6
Preparation Time: 30:00
Categories: Entrees

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
2 pounds boneless chicken breast
cold water
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 medium chopped onions
4 garlic cloves
2 cans chopped green chilies 4 oz. each
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3 cans cooked great northern beans 1# each
4 cups chicken stock or broth
20 oz. monterey jack cheese (grated)
sour cream
jalapeno peppers chopped

1. Put chicken in large saucepan. Add cold water. Bring to a simmer.
Cook until tender.

2. Remove chicken, discard water. In the same pan heat olive oil over
medium heat. Add onions, cook until translucent. Stir in garlic,
chilies, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.

3. Shred chicken by hand and combine with beans, stock, and 12 ounces of
cheese. Simmer 15 minutes.

4. Ladle into large bowls. Top with one ounce of cheese. Serve with a
side of sour cream and chopped jalapeno peppers.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Dave Syke's recipe from 2001 FoodShare Chili Contest. It was
mighty good.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 149 Calories; 3g Fat (17%
calories from fat); 8g Protein; 24g Carbohydrate; 0mg Cholesterol; 5mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat
_____
--
-Herself
"I can, ergo, I am."

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 23, 2001, 5:57:16 PM9/23/01
In article <44sqqt8injathhe8c...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis
Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

Well, jeez, how about some preserving recipes?
My Fruit Butter primer -- must reading
Bread & Butter Pickles
Barb Schaller's Mango-Strawberry Jam with Kiwifruit
"Can't Be Beet" Jelly
AND
Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

for starters.

Curly Sue

Sep 23, 2001, 6:39:43 PM9/23/01
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:39:36 GMT, "Grandma" <kr...@earthlink.com>
wrote:

>I'd be happy to help with the assembly, indexing etc. since I know that
>you're going to be out of commission for a bit. Also, I happen to have a
>listserver if you would like to move this discussion off the NG so as not to
>clutter things up.

That's a great idea.

Sue(tm)

sue at interport dotnet

Curly Sue

Sep 23, 2001, 6:44:01 PM9/23/01
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 17:15:46 GMT, Damsel in dis Dress
<dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

>notbob <not...@NOThome.com> wrote:
>
>>Now DD, what do you mean? If you just want to collect a bunch of
>>recipes, this thread is moving along predictably. But, if you really
>>want recipes that reflect RFC, we must dig down to the nitty-gritty.
>>Such a book would be inaccurate if it did not include:
>>
>>1. The $25,000 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus.
>>2. Boiled Spareribs
>>3. A whole chapter on the pros and cons of beets
>>4. 1001 Ways to Hard Boil an Egg
>
>Heehee! I believe the FAQ includes some oft-requested recipes. We should
>definitely include those in the cookbook!
>
>Good idea!
>Damsel

What about jnglms/h (or however it's spelled) or a recipe for Elbonian
pizza (with translation into English)? Maybe Ray would write it up.

I'll also tell Mimi this is going on. She probably has a few recipes
to contribute.

Other rfc classics (unless these are in the FAQ)
Anne Bourget's brownies
Susan's goat cheese torta
?

Ranee Mueller

Sep 23, 2001, 7:42:14 PM9/23/01
In article <44sqqt8injathhe8c...@4ax.com>, Damsel in dis
Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup

Let's see...

Hummus
Pita
Baba Ghannooj

--
Destashing now, e-mail for details.
See my family and some of my finished objects (E-mail me for password to

Christine Ashby

Sep 23, 2001, 8:38:01 PM9/23/01

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> > If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the
dirty
> > work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> > recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> One question: I don't know about you, but most of my recipies come from
> another book or magazine either found by me or passed on to me from a
> family member. Won't that cause a copyright conflict - even if they are
> a little tweaked?

There is no copyright in recipes.

Nonetheless, I think it only fair to acknowledge the original source, which
I always do myself. It can only serve to increase sales of the cookbook
concerned!

Christine

Jean B.

Sep 23, 2001, 8:36:41 PM9/23/01

> Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote in message
> > If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> > work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> > recommends 3-4 from each person.
> >
> > Right now, I'm thinking of:
> > Gingersnaps (of course!)
> > Cottage Pie
> > Dilled Potato Salad
> > Chunky Split Pea Soup

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie
Mandelkager
???
???

(At least two more recipes that will be determined after I go through
"my" cookbook and see which other great recipes I have that are
foolproof.

We should probably also assess the balance of the recipes in various
categories and try to add some to the categories that turn out to be
lacking. For example, you wouldn't want to have 2 salad recipes and
200 dessert recipes.

Jean B.

EHS

Sep 23, 2001, 8:48:34 PM9/23/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel

From Oregon:
Spotted Shrimp Bisque
Dungeness Crab Salad Maki-Sushi
Corn and Wild Mushroom Quesadillas
Blackberry Yogurt Pie

Ellen

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 23, 2001, 11:47:16 PM9/23/01
s...@addressin.sig (Curly Sue) wrote:

>Other rfc classics (unless these are in the FAQ)
>Anne Bourget's brownies
>Susan's goat cheese torta

Thanks, Sue. I've got 'em both. Does anyone know how to contact Anne to
get her approval for including her brownie recipe in this collection?

Dams

Archon

Sep 24, 2001, 1:40:06 AM9/24/01

> There is no copyright in recipes.
>
> Nonetheless, I think it only fair to acknowledge the original source, which
> I always do myself. It can only serve to increase sales of the cookbook
> concerned!

My initial concern was about those handwritten pieces of paper that my

Archon

Sep 24, 2001, 1:48:00 AM9/24/01

"Jean B." wrote:

> Mandelkager

This is Danish - which kind is it?

Alan Ladd

Sep 24, 2001, 2:41:57 AM9/24/01
notbob wrote:

>Now DD, what do you mean? If you just
>want to collect a bunch of recipes, this
>thread is moving along predictably. But,
>if you really want recipes that reflect
>RFC, we must dig down to the
>nitty-gritty. Such a book would be
>inaccurate if it did not include:

>1. The $25,000 cookie recipe from
>Neiman-Marcus.
>2. Boiled Spareribs
>3. A whole chapter on the pros and cons
>of beets
>4. 1001 Ways to Hard Boil an Egg

Dammit...you beat me to the punch. These were going to be my
contributions so I can forever be engraved in the RFC Hall of Shame. Oh
well...I suppose I can always dig up some recipes for that Jnghlm
holiday.

On a more serious note, I would like to add:

1. Chicken Breast stuffed with artichokes and brie served with a mustard
beurre blanc
2. Feta and Leek wrapped in Phyllo (appetizer)
3. Cajun Chicken Pinwheels (tortilla wrapped appetizer)
4. and my mom would kill me if I didn't include a recipe for Adobo, Egg
Rolls or BBQ Pork Kebabs. All of which will be Filipino versions.

Alan

--
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.

Jean B.

Sep 24, 2001, 6:39:30 AM9/24/01
Archon wrote:

> "Jean B." wrote:
> >

> > Mandelkager
>
> This is Danish - which kind is it?

In this case, I am referring to almond cookies spiced with cinnamon
and cardamom--something we have baked for the holidays for decades.

Jean B.

Gabby

Sep 24, 2001, 7:53:06 AM9/24/01

Jean B. <jb...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:3BAF0D62...@rcn.com...

Sounds really good, could you post the recipe. please?

Gabby

maxine in ri

Sep 24, 2001, 12:17:37 PM9/24/01
"Jean B." wrote:

> We should probably also assess the balance of the recipes in various
> categories and try to add some to the categories that turn out to be
> lacking. For example, you wouldn't want to have 2 salad recipes and
> 200 dessert recipes.
>
> Jean B.

Why not? Life's too short, eat dessert first!

;-))
maxine in ri

maxine in ri

Sep 24, 2001, 12:22:58 PM9/24/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup
>
> Damsel

Grandma Soup (mixed bean variant)
cocoanut macaroons
almond macaroons
maple-cider turkey

maxine in ri

Archon

Sep 24, 2001, 12:40:56 PM9/24/01

> Why not? Life's too short, eat dessert first!

I'm with Maxine on this one :)

Chris Nelson

Sep 24, 2001, 12:39:19 PM9/24/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> recommends 3-4 from each person.
>
> Right now, I'm thinking of:
> Gingersnaps (of course!)
> Cottage Pie
> Dilled Potato Salad
> Chunky Split Pea Soup

Chicken pepperoni (named for the dish in the Chevy Chase movie, but my
own creation)

Black cake (dead simple, wonderfully moist chocolate cake)

Granda's molasses cookies

--
The Best Parent is Both Parents http://www.gocrc.com
Equal Parents' Week 24-30 September 2001

Chris Nelson

Sep 24, 2001, 12:41:07 PM9/24/01
MH wrote:
> MorningAfter Potatoes

I gotta know: what is "MorningAfter" potatoes?

--
Christopher Nelson, Senior Software Engineer Pinebush Technologies,
Inc.
Author: Tcl/Tk Programmer's Reference
http://www.purl.org/net/TclTkProgRef

zxcvbob

Sep 24, 2001, 12:52:21 PM9/24/01

Or how about "nazi goering", or "donner kabobs"? And something made
with duck testicles. Gotta have a duck testicles recipe.

(I thought it was a $250 cookie recipe),
Bob

--

Fried Beets and Onions (copied from _Arizona_Outdoorsman_)

1 can sliced Beets
1 large Onion

Slice onions and drain beets. Place beets in a deep
fryer or frying pan full of hot oil. After about 5
minutes add onions. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, then
drain. Sprinkle on some seasoned salt and you have
a side dish that compliments any type of bird.

Pan Oh

Sep 24, 2001, 1:12:35 PM9/24/01
On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 07:40:06 +0200, Archon <arc...@gvdnet.dk> wrote:

>> There is no copyright in recipes.
>>
>> Nonetheless, I think it only fair to acknowledge the original source, which
>> I always do myself. It can only serve to increase sales of the cookbook
>> concerned!
>
>My initial concern was about those handwritten pieces of paper that my
>parents wrote from an unknown source in the 70's or 80's :)

I never label any of my recipies with my name, in that I learned to
cook from nona's and babushka's, and all my cooking is based on what I
learned from others, and yes I do experiment.

I do not believe that there is any recipes original enough in this
date and time to be copywrited (sp),( except maybe the first recipes
using a newly created foodstuff).
Pan

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 24, 2001, 1:16:41 PM9/24/01
In article <3BAE8019...@rcn.com>, "Jean B." <jb...@rcn.com>
wrote:
(snipped)
> We should probably also assess the balance of the recipes in various
> categories and try to add some to the categories that turn out to be
> lacking. For example, you wouldn't want to have 2 salad recipes and
> 200 dessert recipes.
>
> Jean B.

Why not?

Mint always lightens the postprandial load.

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Fluffy Mint Dessert

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 20
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Desserts

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method

1 package cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (1 pound) crushed
(40 cookies)
1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
2 cartons frozen whipped topping (12 ounces each)
thawed
2 cups pastel miniature marshmallows
1 1/3 cups small pastel mints (5-1/2 ounces)

Reserve 1/4 cup of crushed cookies for garnish. Combine the remaining
cookies with butter; press into an ungreased 9x13" pan. Fold together
whipped topping, marshmallows and mints; pour over crust. Garnish with
reserved cookies. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 days before serving.
Yield: 18-20 servings.

----------
Notes: Source: Taste of Home, December/January 1998 issue. Have not
made.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 40 Calories; 5g Fat (99% calories
from fat); 0g Protein; 0g Carbohydrate; 12mg Cholesterol; 46mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1 Fat
_____

Tina Mongkolsmai

Sep 24, 2001, 2:44:26 PM9/24/01

"Jill McQuown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
> Thai Dumplings
> Potatoes Au Gratin
> Sole Piccata

Jill,

How do you make your Thai dumplings? (recipe, please? :)
The first things that come to mind are mostly Southern China kinds of dim
sum (a Thai variation but similar to Cantonese/HK foods).
Har gow, khanom jeeb (with both pork and shrimp and yellow skins).

I've only ever made a pretty standard ground pork/cabbage (sometimes with
various vegetable/tofu variations, additions).
Then serve with a soy sauce/sesame oil mix or, more likely, sambal oelek. I
would say they're a Chinese basic; I learned them in the University, helped
make them for a "Dumpling Fest". It'd be great to have a new recipe!

Thanks,
Tina

ari...@pepper.eajenkins.earthlink.net

Sep 24, 2001, 3:05:13 PM9/24/01
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001 05:20:36 GMT,
Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
>work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
>recommends 3-4 from each person.

I'm still thinking, but this is what I have in mind so
far:

Chinese Rice Porridge (Jook) with Chicken and Scallions
Hot and Sour Soup
Tofu Broccoli Stir-fry
Tomato Vidalia Onion Pie

Ariane

Stella Hackell

Sep 24, 2001, 5:19:18 PM9/24/01
In article <3BAE153D...@NOThome.com>, notbob <not...@NOThome.com> wrote:

> Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> >
> > If we were to put together an RFC cookbook, and I offered to do the dirty
> > work, what recipes do you think you'd want to contribute? Fundcraft
> > recommends 3-4 from each person.
>

> Now DD, what do you mean? If you just want to collect a bunch of
> recipes, this thread is moving along predictably. But, if you really
> want recipes that reflect RFC, we must dig down to the nitty-gritty.
> Such a book would be inaccurate if it did not include:
>
> 1. The $25,000 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus.
> 2. Boiled Spareribs
> 3. A whole chapter on the pros and cons of beets
> 4. 1001 Ways to Hard Boil an Egg

5. Disgusting Sandwiches of Peanut Butter and Something Else
(dill pickles, roquefort dressing, potato chips, butter . . .)

--
Stella Hackell ste...@ncal.verio.com

She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the
mastery of life.
--Frances E. Willard, _How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle_

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 24, 2001, 5:49:09 PM9/24/01
ste...@ncal.verio.com (Stella Hackell) wrote:

>5. Disgusting Sandwiches of Peanut Butter and Something Else
>(dill pickles, roquefort dressing, potato chips, butter . . .)

Okay, now I'm hungry for a peanut butter and bacon sammich!

We have 14 recipes so far, from 5 people. Keep those recipes coming in,
gang! There WILL be a cookbook!

Carol
(remove [.invalid] to reply

Margaret Suran

Sep 24, 2001, 6:12:35 PM9/24/01

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> We have 14 recipes so far, from 5 people. Keep those recipes coming in,
> gang! There WILL be a cookbook!
>
> Carol

From Austrian Cooking For You, Fifth Edition, 1968
By Elizabeth Mayer Brown

Krautfleckerln (Cabbage And Noodles)

If you make your own egg noodles, cut them into 1/2" squares or
Fleckerln. Otherwise use commercial wide egg noodles and break them
into a semblance of that size.

1 lb Fleckerln or broken noodles

1 small head of white cabbage,
or the inner part
of a larger one
from which you have used the outer
leaves for stuffed cabbage

2 tablespoons butter (bacon drippings are good, too)

l medium sized onion

Cook the Fleckerln until soft. Shred the cabbage finely and fry it in
the butter in which you have already fried the chopped onion with a
pinch of sugar. When nicely brown, add the cooked noodles. Add salt
and pepper to taste.

May be served as a light main course or as a side dish with meat.

Curly Sue

Sep 24, 2001, 7:54:02 PM9/24/01

But if you acknowledge the source isn't that acknowledging that it is
taken from a copyrighted work? Posting a recipe here with
acknowledgement is one thing, but putting it in a book for sale seems
worse for some reason.

I have numerous favorite recipes taken from books which I wouldn't
feel comfortable including in a published compilation without
permission.

Unless someone knows for sure that it's ok....

Ginny Sher

Sep 24, 2001, 8:13:34 PM9/24/01
date squares
english toffee
carrot pudding/mold
blintzes

Ginny

Cyndi

Sep 25, 2001, 12:01:05 AM9/25/01
Tina,
You have to wait for the cook book!

LOL Sorry, just teasing.

--
Cyndi
"Tina Mongkolsmai"
> "Jill McQuown"

> > Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
> > Thai Dumplings
> > Potatoes Au Gratin
> > Sole Piccata
>>
> Jill,
>

> How do you make your Thai dumplings? (recipe, please?)
<snip>

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 25, 2001, 12:07:48 AM9/25/01
"Tina Mongkolsmai" <tina.mon...@compaq.com> wrote:

>How do you make your Thai dumplings? (recipe, please? :)

Sorry ... forgot to reply to this earlier. Jill's recipe is in the
Signature Dishes section of my website:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/jill.html

Here's the recipe:

Thai Dumplings (Kahnom Jeep)
3 oz. flaked crabmeat
6 oz. ground pork
6 large shrimp, minced*
1 Tbs. water
1/4 tsp. garlic salt (I use minced garlic and add some salt to the mix)
1-1/2 - 2-1/2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 egg
1-1/2 Tbs. light soy sauce
1 Tbs. peanut oil
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. wonton wrappers

*Since I rarely just have 6 large shrimp lying around, I buy a bag of small
frozen "salad shrimp" and measure out what I need... no need to mince
those, either! Place shrimp, crabmeat and pork in mixing bowl. Blend in
remaining ingredients except wonton wrappers and mix together until firm
(add a little more cornstarch if mixture is too wet). Hold a wonton
wrapper in one hand. Place 1 Tbs. filling in the center. Fold the corners
in to meet in the middle, squeezing to close the top. Moisten fingers
with water and gently seal (I noticed last night they look like small
whole heads of garlic when done!). Place in a lightly oiled steamer
basket. Steam (covered) over simmering water about 25 minutes. Serve with
dipping sauce (below).

Serves 4

Dipping sauce (or use whatever you like):

4 Tbs. white wine vinegar
2 Tbs. hot water
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tbs. dark soy sauce
2 Tbs. thinly sliced ginger root

Blend all ingredients together. Let sit at least 30 minutes. Use as a
dipping sauce for dumplings.

MH

Sep 25, 2001, 12:41:48 AM9/25/01

Chris Nelson <ch...@pinebush.com> wrote in message

> MH wrote:
> > MorningAfter Potatoes
>
> I gotta know: what is "MorningAfter" potatoes?

Morning After potatoes is a breakfast dish I used to have at a breakfast
restaurant a few years ago. My friends and I called them Morning After
Potatoes because they were the very best when one had a hangover. Fried
taters with green peppers, jalapenos, onions, covered with all sorts of
goodies. Great stuff. A big plate of that and a Bloody Mary and you're good
to go!

Christine Ashby

Sep 25, 2001, 5:00:15 AM9/25/01

Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote in message

> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 10:38:01 +1000, "Christine Ashby"
> <cma...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>

> >Archon <arc...@gvdnet.dk> wrote in message

> >dirty
> >>
> >> One question: I don't know about you, but most of my recipies come from
> >> another book or magazine either found by me or passed on to me from a
> >> family member. Won't that cause a copyright conflict - even if they are
> >> a little tweaked?
> >
> >There is no copyright in recipes.
> >
> >Nonetheless, I think it only fair to acknowledge the original source,
which
> >I always do myself. It can only serve to increase sales of the cookbook
> >concerned!
>
> But if you acknowledge the source isn't that acknowledging that it is
> taken from a copyrighted work? Posting a recipe here with
> acknowledgement is one thing, but putting it in a book for sale seems
> worse for some reason.

No, no. It is acknowledging the source, which is only courteous - food
writers do it all the time. But the recipe is not copyright, that's settled
law.

Christine

Archon

Sep 25, 2001, 5:32:55 AM9/25/01

> Morning After potatoes is a breakfast dish I used to have at a breakfast
> restaurant a few years ago. My friends and I called them Morning After
> Potatoes because they were the very best when one had a hangover. Fried
> taters with green peppers, jalapenos, onions, covered with all sorts of
> goodies. Great stuff. A big plate of that and a Bloody Mary and you're good
> to go!

I'm the leader of the activist society called "Save the Breakfast";
don't believe her in any subject that includes "potatoes" and
"breakfast".

Michael Nielsen
Save the Breakfast
- Join us in the crusade for clean breakfast manners and keep the potato
on the dinner table

Archon

Sep 25, 2001, 5:41:14 AM9/25/01

> But if you acknowledge the source isn't that acknowledging that it is
> taken from a copyrighted work? Posting a recipe here with
> acknowledgement is one thing, but putting it in a book for sale seems
> worse for some reason.
>
> I have numerous favorite recipes taken from books which I wouldn't
> feel comfortable including in a published compilation without
> permission.
>
> Unless someone knows for sure that it's ok....

The 4 recipies I chose are one I created from scrap myself, are tweaked
by myself, and are so generally bound to Danish tradition that there's
really no place of origin (I hope the last part made sense to someone).

Melba's Jammin'

Sep 25, 2001, 10:56:38 AM9/25/01
In article <3BAFAFD3...@rcn.com>, Margaret Suran <msu...@rcn.com>
wrote:
(snip)

> From Austrian Cooking For You, Fifth Edition, 1968
> By Elizabeth Mayer Brown
>

> Krautfleckerln (Cabbage And Noodles)
>
> If you make your own egg noodles, cut them into 1/2" squares or
> Fleckerln. Otherwise use commercial wide egg noodles and break them
> into a semblance of that size.
>
> 1 lb Fleckerln or broken noodles
>
> 1 small head of white cabbage,
> or the inner part of a larger one
> from which you have used the outer
> leaves for stuffed cabbage
>
> 2 tablespoons butter (bacon drippings are good, too)
>
> l medium sized onion
>
> Cook the Fleckerln until soft. Shred the cabbage finely and fry it in
> the butter in which you have already fried the chopped onion with a
> pinch of sugar. When nicely brown, add the cooked noodles. Add salt
> and pepper to taste.
>
> May be served as a light main course or as a side dish with meat.

Hey, Margaret!! That's the shortcut version of halusky with cabbage!!
(And "my people" are from the Hungarian side of the Austro-Hungarian
Empire.) LOL!!

Michael Edelman

Sep 25, 2001, 10:51:29 AM9/25/01
> I love this:

> <snip>

> Cook the Fleckerln until soft. Shred the cabbage finely and fry it in
> the butter in which you have already fried the chopped onion with a
> pinch of sugar. When nicely brown, add the cooked noodles. Add salt
> and pepper to taste.
>
> May be served as a light main course or as a side dish with meat.

Only in Austria is this a *light* meal! (Sounds yummy, though)

--
-----------------------------------
Michael Edelman m...@spamcop.net

Jean B.

Sep 25, 2001, 12:40:16 PM9/25/01

Sure:

Anna Sloman's Mandel Kager (ca 80)

This recipe came from my grandmother; I have no idea where SHE got it
from. Mom always made them for Christmas, and they were (and are) my
favorite Christmas cookie. Note that these are not at their best
right after they are cooked.

1 2/3 c flour
1/2 c sugar
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 Tbsp cardamom
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 c shortening, partly butter, softened (I use all butter
because I hate shortening, but I have to say the results
are better as written)
1/2 c chopped toasted almonds
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp water

Sift together dry ingredients. (I just stir them well.) Add egg,
shortening, and butter, and mix well. Mix in almonds. Chill dough
overnight. Shape into balls about the size of a [large] hazelnut.
Place on greased cookie sheets and flatten with the floured bottom of
a glass. Brush with egg yolk that has been lightly beaten with
water. Bake 10 minutes at 350F or til lightly browned. These are
somewhat better if they age a tad.... Jean B.

Archon

Sep 25, 2001, 12:47:29 PM9/25/01

>These are
> somewhat better if they age a tad.... Jean B.

Fullbodied cookies, eh? :)

Tina Mongkolsmai

Sep 25, 2001, 2:05:12 PM9/25/01
Damsel, Thank you! for posting it.

Jill, I'm glad your Signature dish has been posted...

Now I really want to make these. Given my slight shellfish allergy I might
have to try it without shrimp, but it should still be good...

I'll try it this weekend.
Tina

Carmen Bartels

Sep 25, 2001, 4:40:31 PM9/25/01
Michael Edelman <m...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>> Margaret Suran <msu...@rcn.com> wrote:
>> I love this:
>
>> <snip>
>> Cook the Fleckerln until soft. Shred the cabbage finely and fry it in
>> the butter in which you have already fried the chopped onion with a
>> pinch of sugar. When nicely brown, add the cooked noodles. Add salt
>> and pepper to taste.
>>
>> May be served as a light main course or as a side dish with meat.
>
> Only in Austria is this a *light* meal! (Sounds yummy, though)

It is a light meal as it has no meat and not much fat either ;-)
And it *IS* very yummy. Thanks a lot, Margaret, for posting that recipe
as my own attempts at recreating it were not too successfull.

My own contributions to the cookbook will be:
Chicken Fricassee (at least once posted to rfc)
Noodle souffle (ditto)
Drunken pears with Quark (ditto)
Green peas soup with semolina dumplings (just got my mother to show me
this family recipe last sunday)

Carol, tell me when you need the recipes

Carmen,
who is stuffed from a noodle-spinach-souffle
--
Carmen Bartels elfgar@ATP, elfgar@Xyllomer
ca...@squirrel.han.de caba@irc

Charlotte L. Blackmer

Sep 25, 2001, 11:02:15 PM9/25/01
In article <h3btqt4pel67b3ess...@4ax.com>,

Damsel in dis Dress <dam...@postmark.net.invalid> wrote:
>s...@addressin.sig (Curly Sue) wrote:
>
>>Other rfc classics (unless these are in the FAQ)
>>Anne Bourget's brownies
>>Susan's goat cheese torta
>
>Thanks, Sue. I've got 'em both. Does anyone know how to contact Anne to
>get her approval for including her brownie recipe in this collection?

Don't know about that but I was planning to send in my tweaked (with
Helpful Assembly Hints that Susan left out) version of Susan Hattie's
torta. Since I have it already typed out on my web page and everything.

Others include bread salad (sorry sam I'm claiming this one ;-) and the
super easy cream biscuits. Dunno what else I'll send, maybe the "Robert's
Chocolate Cookies" even though that is the least tweaked of any recipe
from a book that I've used ;-)

they are awfully good cookies ;-)

CLB
Charlotte L. Blackmer <http://www.rahul.net/clb>
"Approach love and cooking with great abandon" -
from the Dalai Lama's Rules for Life
Junk (esp. commercial) email review rates: $250 US ea

st...@temple.edu

Sep 30, 2001, 9:58:10 PM9/30/01
I am way behind in my email reading and reading rfc postings so I apologize
if my suggestion has already been raised. I suggest that the beginning of
this book offer tips on basic cooking techniques at a very novice level.
This way, the book would be good as a gift for the many people we all
know and love who couldn't cook to save their lives!

For example, techniques involving simple things such as making steamed
vegies, slicing vegies, hard boiling eggs, safety tips, what to look for
in quality cookware, pros and cons of gas vs. electric ranges/ovens, etc.

Trinker

Oct 1, 2001, 1:15:19 AM10/1/01
(bcc:'d to Stan so that he doesn't lose it in the fray)

Gonna write that part, Stan?

;)

aec

Oct 1, 2001, 6:33:28 AM10/1/01
Trinker <trinke...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3BB7FBE7...@yahoo.com>...

Lots of that is already written up in the FAQ. Has that been
discussed, the possibility of using material from the FAQ? It's a
wealth of information - sure could be useful...
What do you think?
Anne

Curly Sue

Oct 1, 2001, 9:50:30 AM10/1/01

Or, what about including the rfc FAQ (or a trimmed-down version?)

GaryO

Oct 1, 2001, 3:20:29 PM10/1/01
s...@addressin.sig (Curly Sue) wrote in message news:<3bb87490...@news.rcn.com>...

Including the RFC FAQ sounds like a great idea.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

st...@temple.edu

Oct 1, 2001, 9:43:11 PM10/1/01
aec <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote:

> Lots of that is already written up in the FAQ. Has that been
> discussed, the possibility of using material from the FAQ? It's a
> wealth of information - sure could be useful...
> What do you think?

Good point. The FAQ file would be a good addition to the cookbook,
perhaps in the form of an appendix? If any help is needed in that area,
I would be more than happy to contribute my efforts to the project.

Victor Sack

Oct 2, 2001, 10:16:05 AM10/2/01
aec <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote:

> Lots of that is already written up in the FAQ. Has that been
> discussed, the possibility of using material from the FAQ? It's a
> wealth of information - sure could be useful...
> What do you think?

Sure, but I would be hard pressed to say which conversion tables are
relevant. *This* kind of thing can be considered in advance, but the
final decision will, of course, depend on the actual recipes submitted.

Victor

Victor Sack

Oct 2, 2001, 10:16:12 AM10/2/01
<st...@temple.edu> wrote:

> Good point. The FAQ file would be a good addition to the cookbook,
> perhaps in the form of an appendix? If any help is needed in that area,
> I would be more than happy to contribute my efforts to the project.

The whole FAQ file is *huge* and would take up 53 A4 pages - at the very
least. Conversions tables therein would take at least 9 A4 pages.

Victor

st...@temple.edu

Oct 2, 2001, 2:07:36 PM10/2/01
Victor Sack <sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de> wrote:

> Sure, but I would be hard pressed to say which conversion tables are
> relevant. *This* kind of thing can be considered in advance, but the
> final decision will, of course, depend on the actual recipes submitted.

Instead of including the conversion tables, perhaps the actual recipes can
contain both Imperial and Metric equivalences. That way, no one would need
to bother looking up measurement conversions for the recipes in the book.

GaryO

Oct 2, 2001, 2:22:54 PM10/2/01
sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote in message news:<1f0nrjq.1qzvi3az88ysbN%sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de>...

The number of recipes, indeed, the quality and quantity of recipes
should be the deciding criterion if such a lengthy amount of
information is to be added to a cookbook which has originally been
conceived, if my guess is correct, as a collection of recipes rather
than as an instructional cookbook. BTW, as lengthy as it is, with its
wealth of information, the FAQ is not yet a comprehensive collection
of kitchen wisdom.

GaryO
trac...@pacbell.net

PENMART01

Oct 2, 2001, 2:57:45 PM10/2/01
stan writes:

Instead of a book why not just sell a little plastic card for a buck, printed
with a bunch of www dot com addies...

Sheldon
````````````

aec

Oct 4, 2001, 8:43:59 AM10/4/01
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in message news:<20011002145745...@nso-mv.aol.com>...

True, true. But... it is so much more useful to have a page in a book
that one is using that contains conversions. I have lots of addresses
and even a helpful conversion program on the computer, but I don't
have a computer in the kitchen.
I agree that we should put the conversions in each recipe. The
conversion page was an added extra.
US and metric, Fahrenheit and Celsius should be ok (we don't need Gas
Mark, do we?).
Anne