Food Rationing + Hoarding Begin In The US...!!!

Gregory Morrow

Apr 22, 2008, 3:17:01 PM4/22/08
Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
UP...!!!

Some nooze items from Goggle Nooze:

http://cbs5.com/wrapper_consumer/seenon/rice.shortage.rationing.2.705309.html

Rice Shortage Prompts Costco Calif. Rice Rationing

" MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS 5) -- Rice is a popular dish in many Bay Area
homes, but now there's a shortage that is making the cost of the
staple unstable.

The cost of a 50-pound sack of jasmine rice has soared to $21.99.
There have been so many buyers flocking a Costco in Mountain View that
two other brands of rice were completely sold out Monday.

Costco is now posting signs limiting how much rice you can buy based
on your previous purchases. Our video report has more behind the
reasons behind the ration, and how consumers are cutting back on
rice..."

((c) MMVIII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

http://www.kptm.com/Global/story.asp?S=8202003&nav=menu606_24_8_1

NY Paper Reports Food Rationing Appearing In US

"OMAHA (KPTM) - Food shortages and rationing has been a third-world
problem as of late, but recently, the phenomenon once thought
unthinkable in the United States could start happening.

The New York Sun newspaper is reporting that major retailers on both
coasts are limiting customers' purchases of flour, rice and cooking
oil.

The Sun reports that a Costco Warehouse in California ran out of rice,
frustrating shoppers. "Where's the rice?" an engineer from Palo Alto,
Calif., Yajun Liu, said. "You should be able to buy something like
rice. This is ridiculous."

The rice that is left is selling at near one dollar a pound, and in
some areas, customers report paying about $30 for a 25-pound bag.

Most Costco members were only allowed to buy only one bag. One clerk
reportedly dropped two sacks back on the stack after taking them from
a customer who tried to buy more than the one bag limit.

"Due to the limited availability of rice, we are limiting rice
purchases based on your prior purchasing history," a sign above the
dwindling supply said, the Sun reports.

Shoppers said the limits had been in place for a few days, and that
rice supplies had been spotty for a few weeks. A store manager
referred questions to officials at Costco headquarters near Seattle,
who did not return calls or e-mail messages to the Sun.

A New York Costco reportedly was not restricting rice, but is limiting
oil and flour. Rumors floating on the Internet say that bakery owners
bought up flour at warehouse stores after their commercial suppliers
doubled their prices.

Spiking food prices have led to riots in recent weeks in Haiti,
Indonesia, and several African nations. India recently banned export
of all but the highest quality rice, and Vietnam blocked the signing
of a new contract for foreign rice sales.

The price of rice futures reached record highs in recent days, after
skyrocketing over the past two months. The price of wheat in the
futures market has been down.

The paper reports that there have been rumors of some buying limits at
Sam's Club warehouses, owned by Wal-mart, but the company says it is
not aware of any shortages or limits..."

http://www.newsmax.com/brennan/global_warming_hysteria/2008/04/22/90020.html

Global Warming Hysteria Creates Food Shortages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:07 PM

By: Philip V. Brennan

"King Canute demonstrated the futility of defying nature when he
ordered the tides to cease crashing upon the shoreline. Nature ignored
him.

There was a biblical precedent to this demonstration of man's
inability to command nature when the descendants of Noah tried to
avert the danger of another flood by building a tower so tall no
floodwaters could inundate it.

God responded to puny mankind's attempt to overrule nature by
establishing the foundation for future Berlitz-style schools of
languages, sowing lingual confusion. The Bible doesn't identify the
would-be contractors but you can be certain the architect was a man
who had a name something like Al Gore.

As I have written previously, pitting yourself against Mother Nature
is a vain pursuit. If she gets it into her head to alter global
climate one way or another, then by golly she's going to do it and
nothing little old mankind can do will stand in her way.

Aside from the fact that CO2 is a vitally necessary gas essential to
proper plant life the idea that government regulations can even begin
to reduce its increase in the atmosphere if that's what's in store, is
patently absurd. Mankind's contribution to atmospheric levels of CO2
is barely measurable.

Equally absurd is the so-called threat that the climate is warming and
will continue to warm until global temperatures begin to threaten our
very existence on this planet. The people who peddle this nonsense
ignore the fact that the miniscule increases in global temperatures
stopped dead in 1998.

Since then cooling has set in and the signs are that it will
continue.

That reality is ignored as simply an inconvenient truth by Mr. Gore
and his minions promoting the global warming scam. It simply spurs
them into a panic mode where their alarms grow shriller ad more
immediate.

Global warming does threaten mankind, but the danger lies in the
Draconian measures Gore and others demand be taken to prevent a non-
existent threat which in themselves imperil our very well-being.

Writes the brilliant humanitarian Paul Dreissen on Wednesday on the
Web (http:www.pvbr.com/Issue_1/paulcom.htm): "America is in the throes
of a major housing and financial downturn, soaring food and energy
costs, rising unemployment and near recession. But legislators,
bureaucrats and presidential candidates are falling all over
themselves to restrict fossil fuel use, advance climate change
legislation -- and thereby increase energy prices, oil imports, and
costs for families and businesses."

He adds, "Any climate change regime would impose higher prices and new
restrictions on coal-generated electricity, oil and gas drilling, air
and ground transportation, and heating, air conditioning, agriculture
and manufacturing. In fact, any facility or activity that generates
more than 250 tons of carbon dioxide per year could be heavily
regulated: bakeries, breweries, soft-drink makers, factories,
apartment and office buildings, dairy farms and countless others.
Permit, regulatory, oversight, anti-fraud monitoring and polar bear
endangerment rules would cost billions in still more highly
regressive, hidden taxes."

At this very moment, the world is plunging into a food scarcity crisis
that is the direct result of the global warming hysteria. The headlong
rush to grow food crops to make ethanol instead of growing crops to
feed the world is pushing food prices skyward and creating the threat
of famine in Third-World countries.

Writing in Britain's Sun newspaper, Josh Gerstein reported that the
rationing of food could well be next.

"Major retailers in New York, in areas of New England and on the West
Coast are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand
outstrips supply," according to Gerstein. "There are also anecdotal
reports that some consumers are hoarding grain stocks.

"At a Costco warehouse in Mountain View, Calif., yesterday, shoppers
grew frustrated and occasionally uttered expletives as they searched
in vain for the large sacks of rice they usually buy. 'Where's the
rice?' an engineer said. 'You should be able to buy something like
rice. This is ridiculous.'

"The bustling store in the heart of Silicon Valley usually sells four
or five varieties of rice to a clientele largely of Asian immigrants,
but only about half a pallet of Indian-grown Basmati rice was left in
stock. A 20-pound bag was selling for $15.99.

"An employee at the Costco store in Queens said there were no
restrictions on rice buying, but limits were being imposed on
purchases of oil and flour. Internet postings attributed some of the
shortage at the retail level to bakery owners who flocked to warehouse
stores when the price of flour from commercial suppliers doubled."

"Just who's responsible for this threat?" wrote Michael S. Berliner,
co-chairman of the board of directors of the Ayn Rand Institute in
Irvine, Calif. "Heed the words of the consistent environmentalists.
The ending of the human epoch on Earth," writes philosopher Paul
Taylor in Respect for Nature: A Theory of Environmental Ethics.

"In a glowing review of Bill McKibben's 'The End of Nature,'"
biologist David M. Graber writes in the Los Angeles Times, Oct. 29,
1989: "Human happiness [is] not as important as a wild and healthy
planet . . . . Until such time as Homo sapiens should decide to rejoin
nature, some of us can only hope for the right virus to come along.
Such is the naked essence of environmentalism: It mourns the death of
one whale or tree but actually welcomes the death of billions of
people. A more malevolent, man-hating philosophy is unimaginable."

I'll give the final word to Paul Dreissen: "So hold on to your
wallets, and hope you can hold onto your jobs, homes, and cars. You're
about to be put on a wild political roller coaster. And don't expect
much honesty, transparency or accountability from climate
Armageddonites."

Deus exaudi nos...

</>

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 3:56:07 PM4/22/08

"Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

> Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
> UP...!!!

(sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.

nancy

ra...@vt.edu

Apr 22, 2008, 4:05:22 PM4/22/08
Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.

So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Gregory Morrow

Apr 22, 2008, 4:15:18 PM4/22/08
Nancy Young wrote:

> "Gregory Morrow" <gregorymor...@earthlink.net> wrote

> > Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
> > UP...!!!
>
> (sigh)  Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
> fearmongering?  People don't need much of a reason.

Yeah, you'd think the world was coming to an end, listening to the
babble on all the nooze outlets...it's getting pretty ridiculous,
hence my "hysterical" subject line, lol...

You don't hear that 97% of all US mortgages are current, you'd think
from the nooze that most everyone is in default...

You don't hear that newly minted college grads are getting multiple
job offers or that some fields have such high demand that there is a
dire shortage of workers, you instead get reports from Rust Belt areas
that those old high - paying industrial jobs are disappearing.
Hello! That trend started in the late 70's...WHERE have you in the
media BEEN...!!!???

Food "rationing"? It's no different than stores limiting the number
of sale items, is that "rationing"? It's NOT WWII...and besides which
many Americans are grossly obese, a little "rationing" just might not
hurt. Food is still a great bargain...

For all the talk about the "decline" of the US, we are still
considered probably the most stable nation on earth and if we really
opened our borders a BILLION people would pour in to live
here...people die trying to get here every day.

I'm just wondering how we should cook Chicken Little...???

--
Best
Greg

John Kane

Apr 22, 2008, 4:24:48 PM4/22/08
On Apr 22, 4:15 pm, Gregory Morrow <gregorymor...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

Have a look at the most recent New Scientist. It has some interesting
articles on the collapse of civilisation as we know it.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 4:27:28 PM4/22/08

<ra...@vt.edu> wrote

People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power
outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes.
I don't think that's unreasonable.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 4:29:57 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 01:15:18p, Gregory Morrow told us...

Creamed, over rice.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 4:37:42 PM4/22/08

ra...@vt.edu wrote:

> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote
>
> > > Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
> > > UP...!!!
>
> > (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
> > fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.

First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible
for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
for a few months.

> You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
> radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
> of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
> refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.

Yes, those recommendations and PSAs have been the recommendations of the
DHS, FEMA, the Red Cross and a host of other organizations for decades
(well, DHS for the amount of time it has existed). The problem is that
people only notice them at times like this and somehow think they are
related.

> So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.

No, you just haven't been paying attention.

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 4:55:58 PM4/22/08

Nancy Young wrote:

>> "Gregory Morrow" <gregorymor...@earthlink.net> wrote
>
>> > Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
>> > UP...!!!
>
>> (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>> fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.

>Yeah, you'd think the world was coming to an end, listening to the
>babble on all the nooze outlets...it's getting pretty ridiculous,
>hence my "hysterical" subject line, lol...

I stopped watching the news for that reason. They have to fill up
their time slot and if it means scaring people with Can it happen
here? every time something happens anywhere else, then so be it.

>Food "rationing"? It's no different than stores limiting the number
>of sale items, is that "rationing"?

But the word sounds scary and gets people's attention.

> It's NOT WWII...and besides which
>many Americans are grossly obese, a little "rationing" just might not
>hurt.

(laugh)

>I'm just wondering how we should cook Chicken Little...???

I have a cookbook with a chapter titled Chicken Little. Let me check.
Here we go:

Grilled Garlic-Lime Game Hens
365 Ways to Cook Chicken

4 Cornish game hens, halved, backbones removed
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon coarse salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Place hens in a 13 X 9 baking dish. Rub garlic into skin;
sprinkle with lime juice. Season with salt and cayenne pepper.
Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

Grill hens over charcoal, skin side down, 10 to 12 minutes.
Turn and grill 15 minutes, until hens are tender. Under
broiler, broil for 10 to 15 minutes a side, until done.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 5:02:31 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 01:37:42p, Pete C. told us...

> ra...@vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

STOCK

>> > (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>> > fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>
> First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible
> for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
> was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
> those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
> for a few months.

You're absolutely right. I was a project manager for a Y2K team for the
better part of 3 years, and it was amazing how much code had to be changed
to make a seamless transition.

>> You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
>> radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
>> if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
>> of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
>> refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
> Yes, those recommendations and PSAs have been the recommendations of the
> DHS, FEMA, the Red Cross and a host of other organizations for decades
> (well, DHS for the amount of time it has existed). The problem is that
> people only notice them at times like this and somehow think they are
> related.

Right again, for many years.

>> So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
>
> No, you just haven't been paying attention.

It's just more noticeable now.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day
4wks 5dys 10hrs

'Aw, you can see the strings.' -- Crow
T. Robot

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 5:02:48 PM4/22/08

"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> > (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>> > fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>
> First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible
> for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
> was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
> those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
> for a few months.

And that's why I don't think it was reasonable. It was taken care of.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 5:08:28 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:02:48p, Nancy Young told us...

Yes, for the most part, and primarily within large organizations. However,
there was quite a scramble by small companies who realized in the 11th hour
that they might need to do something. It was almost too late for some of
them.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day

4wks 5dys 9hrs 55mins
When subtlety fails us, we must resort
to cream pies.

ra...@vt.edu

Apr 22, 2008, 5:09:35 PM4/22/08
Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:

> <ra...@vt.edu> wrote

> > You know, I heard some sort of "public service" announcement on the

> > radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> > if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case

> People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power

> outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes.
> I don't think that's unreasonable.

Oh, I'm not saying it's unreasonable, it's just the first time since the
1960s that I remember hearing an actual government radio spot saying
so. I thought about it and 3 days seemed a little too short to me,
but one can live without food for quite a long time if you have water
and I've got plenty of water. I also probably have a week or so of
non-refrigerated food, too. Might get a bit tedious, but I'd have food.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 5:08:58 PM4/22/08

"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote

> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:02:48p, Nancy Young told us...

>> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

>>> First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible

>>> for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
>>> was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
>>> those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
>>> for a few months.
>>
>> And that's why I don't think it was reasonable. It was taken care of.

> Yes, for the most part, and primarily within large organizations.

> However,
> there was quite a scramble by small companies who realized in the 11th
> hour
> that they might need to do something. It was almost too late for some of
> them.

Of course. But their lack of planning had nothing to do with people
arming themselves because there was going to be widespread food
shortages after Y2K. That's the fear I'm talking about. People thought
their water was going to be turned off and other nonsense.

nancy

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 5:18:07 PM4/22/08

Hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, floods, earthquakes, fires,
epidemics, terrorist attacks, etc. Lots of possible events that can
cause a need to be self sufficient for a few days.

Very reasonable to be prepared to be on your own a few days, and rather
disturbing the number of people who aren't prepared for such short
duration self sufficiency. Something that should really be incorporated
into our (failing) school systems.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 5:21:09 PM4/22/08

It wasn't nonsense, but you need to have a good understanding of how our
infrastructure operates and how things are interconnected to understand
the short duration domino effect that is possible from a seemingly small
failure that might only take a few days to resolve.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 5:26:20 PM4/22/08

I recall hearing similar PSAs, often from the Red Cross many times over
the years, particularly preceding the winter in the northeast with it's
potential for nasty snow and ice storms. It's just one of those things
that for most people go in one ear and out the other unless some other
highly publicized news has provided a connection for them to realize.

There isn't anything really magic about three days, it's just a number
that will seem to be attainable without excess effort to most people, as
well as a reasonable expectation for how long it can take the government
to spin up it's resources and get aid into an area (think Katrina).

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 5:28:08 PM4/22/08
Particularly since government ag programs drove thousands of acres of
rice production out of the market in the seventies and eighties in Texas
and Louisiana.

Fields I used to work in as a kid are now pine forests in SE Texas and
friends I went to school with had to go into other jobs once the family
lost their rice allotment from the gubmint.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 5:29:19 PM4/22/08
You need to move to hurricane alley, nearly all of us have either
gasoline or natural gas powered generators for keeping things going that
need electricity. I'm shopping for a natural gas, whole house generator now.

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 5:33:16 PM4/22/08
ranck wrote:

> You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the radio a
> few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking if everyone
> had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case of some
> unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
> refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
> So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.

And the perfect tool for that?

Well, the Chicken Little Drumstick(tm), of course!

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 5:32:03 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:26:20p, Pete C. told us...

Heh, if I think Katrina, I think 3 months.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day

4wks 5dys 9hrs 30mins
A cat stretches from one end of my
childhood to the other.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 5:33:34 PM4/22/08
No one here on the Gulf Coast is paying them any mind as it is business
as usual. June first begins hurricane season and we all tend to stock up
on non-perishable items just prior to the start. Those that don't stock
up are the ones under thirty years of age who think they're bullet proof
and nursing home operators.

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 5:35:47 PM4/22/08
Pete C. wrote:

> ra...@vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > <ra...@vt.edu> wrote

>> > People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power
>> > outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes. I don't
>> > think that's unreasonable.
>>
>> Oh, I'm not saying it's unreasonable, it's just the first time since the
>> 1960s that I remember hearing an actual government radio spot saying so.
>> I thought about it and 3 days seemed a little too short to me, but one
>> can live without food for quite a long time if you have water and I've
>> got plenty of water. I also probably have a week or so of
>> non-refrigerated food, too. Might get a bit tedious, but I'd have food.
>
> I recall hearing similar PSAs, often from the Red Cross many times over

Come to think of it, I haven't run this PSA in quite a while. Thanks for
reminding me. It's something of which we should not lose sight. :)

http://blinkynet.net/humor/psa01ct.html

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 5:36:48 PM4/22/08
Pete C. wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> <ra...@vt.edu> wrote

>> > You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
>> > radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
>> > if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
>> > of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
>> > refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>> >
>> > So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
>>
>> People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power
>> outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes. I don't
>> think that's unreasonable.
>>
>> nancy
>
> Hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, floods, earthquakes, fires, epidemics,
> terrorist attacks, etc. Lots of possible events that can cause a need to
> be self sufficient for a few days.

Locusts. Nobody ever thinks of locusts any more. They need better
lobbyists.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 5:35:32 PM4/22/08
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:02:48p, Nancy Young told us...
>
>> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

> this
>>> First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible
>>> for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
>>> was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
>>> those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
>>> for a few months.
>> And that's why I don't think it was reasonable. It was taken care of.
>>
>> nancy
>
> Yes, for the most part, and primarily within large organizations. However,
> there was quite a scramble by small companies who realized in the 11th hour
> that they might need to do something. It was almost too late for some of
> them.

I had a big laugh at what one of my older sisters did prior to Y2K. Got
$20K in cash, bought a pistol (never fired one in her life), filled two
spare bedrooms with canned goods and bottled water. I think she's still
eating and drinking stuff she bought then. She was in a total panic that
she was going to starve to death.

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 5:37:27 PM4/22/08

"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

It was nonsense because the people who needed to know what had
to be done, did it. Nothing happened on Y2K, as expected, except
for people who like being scared or prepared to kill their neighbors who
were surely going to steal their food.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 5:40:54 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:35:32p, George Shirley told us...

LOL! Poor dear!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day

4wks 5dys 9hrs 20mins
Reality is a place where bad things
could happen.

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 5:50:42 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:36:48p, Blinky the Shark told us...

I guess you could eat those after they'd eaten everything else. Good
source of protein?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day

4wks 5dys 9hrs 15mins
If the economy can only get better or
worse, why aren't economists right
half the time?

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 5:50:27 PM4/22/08

"George Shirley" <gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:02:48p, Nancy Young told us...

>>> And that's why I don't think it was reasonable. It was taken care of.

>> Yes, for the most part, and primarily within large organizations.

>> However, there was quite a scramble by small companies who realized in
>> the 11th hour that they might need to do something. It was almost too
>> late for some of them.
>>
> I had a big laugh at what one of my older sisters did prior to Y2K. Got
> $20K in cash, bought a pistol (never fired one in her life), filled two
> spare bedrooms with canned goods and bottled water. I think she's still
> eating and drinking stuff she bought then. She was in a total panic that
> she was going to starve to death.

I'd laugh except that is what a lot of people did. A kind of hysteria.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

Apr 22, 2008, 5:54:54 PM4/22/08
On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:37:27p, Nancy Young told us...

May have been total nonsense to you, but there was always that nagging
thought that something important might be overlooked and cause some real
problems. If you weren't involved, you simply don't know.

Have you seen that commercial (I don't know what it was for) where there's
a guy pedalling something that looks a bit like a bike, that makes the
earth rotate? His shift is over and the new guy has arrived to take over.
For a second, the earth stops rotating.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 04(IV)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Earth Day
Countdown till Memorial Day

4wks 5dys 9hrs 10mins
The man who makes no mistakes does not
usually make anything.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 5:59:56 PM4/22/08
Yeah, used to be a major source of dry season food for Africans in
certain areas. US gubmint discovered they bred, hatched and flew in
Saudi Arabia and started putting pesticides on them to "help the poor
people". Seems they did such a good job that a lot of people went hungry
for awhile.

We used to get the odd one in our garden when we lived in western Saudi
Arabia. Imagine a grasshopper four inches long that flies in large
groups and you can see how scary they would be to Westerners. We were
only 80 miles across the Red Sea from Africa so it was no big jaunt.
Particularly as the wind blew to Saudi in the morning and back to Africa
in the afternoon.

Adam Funk

Apr 22, 2008, 5:49:01 PM4/22/08
On 2008-04-22, Blinky the Shark wrote:

> Come to think of it, I haven't run this PSA in quite a while. Thanks for
> reminding me. It's something of which we should not lose sight. :)
>
> http://blinkynet.net/humor/psa01ct.html

*All* of them?

http://www.newsfroup.net/procurable/

--
Pengo is having second thoughts about his years working for the KGB.
(Stoll 1989)

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 6:01:31 PM4/22/08
And people like that don't listen to the voice of reason. My other
sister and I just went on as normal with the one in the middle
proclaiming that we couldn't come to her house when all the
transportation systems collapsed and the ravening horde was devouring
everything in sight. Of course we don't have a lot to do with her before
or since but she is blood kin.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 6:04:54 PM4/22/08
Yeah, did you notice the thighs and legs on those guys?

I was hired as a consultant by a couple of large hydrocarbon processing
plants in the area just for Y2K. My job was to coordinate operations
when all the computer went belly up and they had to run them manually.
Wasn't because I was a good industrial safety professional, was because
I used to run plants by hand back in the day, 1961 to 1976.

I laughed all the way to the bank. Their own computer professionals were
telling them it wasn't necessary that the changes had been made to the
programming. A great many chemical and petroleum engineers then were
computer illiterates.

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 6:09:49 PM4/22/08
Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2008-04-22, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Come to think of it, I haven't run this PSA in quite a while. Thanks
>> for reminding me. It's something of which we should not lose sight. :)
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/humor/psa01ct.html
>
> *All* of them?
>
> http://www.newsfroup.net/procurable/

Heh!

Okay......not your mom.

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 6:05:28 PM4/22/08

"Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote

> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:37:27p, Nancy Young told us...

>> It was nonsense because the people who needed to know what had

>> to be done, did it. Nothing happened on Y2K, as expected, except
>> for people who like being scared or prepared to kill their neighbors who
>> were surely going to steal their food.

> May have been total nonsense to you, but there was always that nagging

> thought that something important might be overlooked and cause some real
> problems. If you weren't involved, you simply don't know.

You're right, I didn't think the water was going to stop flowing and that
the food supply would stop dead. I knew utilities were overseen and
weren't going to be turned off suddenly in the new year. If it did, it
would
be fixed. But it wouldn't. And I woke up that morning and there you go,
no catastrophes. Like, what exactly would stop the water flowing and the
electricity to go off permanently? Nothing wrong with having extra
supplies,
of course. Prepared is different from that fear people had.

> Have you seen that commercial (I don't know what it was for) where there's
> a guy pedalling something that looks a bit like a bike, that makes the
> earth rotate? His shift is over and the new guy has arrived to take over.
> For a second, the earth stops rotating.

No, I haven't seen that one. Cute.

nancy

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 6:10:46 PM4/22/08
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:36:48p, Blinky the Shark told us...
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> Hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, floods, earthquakes, fires,
> epidemics,
>>> terrorist attacks, etc. Lots of possible events that can cause a need
>>> to be self sufficient for a few days.
>>
>> Locusts. Nobody ever thinks of locusts any more. They need better
>> lobbyists.
>>
> I guess you could eat those after they'd eaten everything else. Good
> source of protein?

Mmmmmmmm...locusts! No, wait. I misspelled "blech!"

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 6:11:55 PM4/22/08
George Shirley wrote:

Now you've got me thinking about those damned cockroaches that are the
size of a sofa. <skin crawls>

hahabogus

Apr 22, 2008, 6:36:49 PM4/22/08
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in

Remember the flame war here...especially the one on if it would happen...
Some insisted 2000 and others said 2001. The thread lasted months.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Paul M. Cook

Apr 22, 2008, 6:45:29 PM4/22/08

>I'm just wondering how we should cook Chicken Little...???

I'd suggest a nice roasted ostrich as a second entre. You can find them
easily enough, they have their heads in the ground and their butts
confidently exposed.

Paul

Gregory Morrow

Apr 22, 2008, 6:45:42 PM4/22/08
John Kane wrote:

> On Apr 22, 4:15 pm, Gregory Morrow <gregorymor...@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>

> > Nancy Young wrote:
> > > "Gregory Morrow" <gregorymor...@earthlink.net> wrote

> > > (sigh)  Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
> > > fearmongering?  People don't need much of a reason.
>

> > Yeah, you'd think the world was coming to an end, listening to the
> > babble on all the nooze outlets...it's getting pretty ridiculous,
> > hence my "hysterical" subject line, lol...
>
> > You don't hear that 97% of all US mortgages are current, you'd think
> > from the nooze that most everyone is in default...
>
> > You don't hear that newly minted college grads are getting multiple
> > job offers or that some fields have such high demand that there is a
> > dire shortage of workers, you instead get reports from Rust Belt areas
> > that those old high - paying industrial jobs are disappearing.
> > Hello!  That trend started in the late 70's...WHERE have you in the
> > media BEEN...!!!???
>
> > Food "rationing"?  It's no different than stores limiting the number
> > of sale items, is that "rationing"?  It's NOT WWII...and besides which
> > many Americans are grossly obese, a little "rationing" just might not
> > hurt.  Food is still a great bargain...
>
> > For all the talk about the "decline" of the US, we are still
> > considered probably the most stable nation on earth and if we really
> > opened our borders a BILLION people would pour in to live
> > here...people die trying to get here every day.

> > I'm just wondering how we should cook Chicken Little...???
>

> > --
> > Best
> > Greg
>
> Have a look at the most recent New Scientist.  It has some interesting
> articles on the collapse of civilisation as we know it.

Articles like this one...??? :

http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn13744-rescue-robots-compete-to-save-dolls-in-distress.html?DCMP=ILC-hmts&nsref=news9_head_dn13744

Rescue robots compete to save dolls in distress

17:15 21 April 2008

" Robots are competing in Germany this week to traverse a maze that
simulates the aftermath of a natural disaster (see video, right).

It is part of the largest warm-up event, the German Open, for the
annual RoboCup, held in China this July. The main Robocup event has
been running for 11 years and pits teams of soccer robots against each
other, with the goal of having a robotic team beat the human world
soccer champions at their own game by 2050.

But a sub-competition called RoboCup Rescue may yield useful robots.
Held since 2000, it aims to stimulate development of robots to help
humans in dangerous situations, like collapsed buildings or after a
chemical spill.

Maze mapping

Robots in this year's competition must navigate a complex three-
dimensional maze, using their sensing and mapping abilities to sniff
out toy dolls that either emit CO2, give off heat, make noise, or
move.

"The robots are the mouse and the dolls are the cheese," says Adam
Jacoff of the US Government’s National Institute of Standards and
Technology in Gaithersburg, US, who heads the rescue competition.

Each year Jacoff has slowly ratcheted up the physical complexity of
the 150-square-metre maze. It now includes sharply pitched and sloping
floors, stairs, pipes, and "step fields" – corridors of fixed,
randomly shaped objects that simulate rubble.

He uses the competition to trial new tests, which the US Department of
Homeland Security evaluates urban search and rescue robots with.

Searching alone

Robots must pick their way through the maze to find the dolls
autonomously, as their developers are not allowed inside the arena or
to control their robots remotely.

Teams are scored by how many victims their robots finds, how quickly
they navigate the maze, and how accurately they can generate a 3D map
of the entire course.

This year’s competition will include a “manipulation challenge” that
awards extra points to robots that can deliver handheld radios or
water bottles to victims trapped in tight spaces.

Human helpers

Tom Haus, a captain in the Los Angeles, California Fire Department and
an urban search and rescue specialist at the US Government’s Federal
Emergency Management Agency, says autonomous robots still need a lot
of improvement before they can aid in search and rescue missions.

"They are still a ways away from having something as mobile as a human
that could easily traverse rubble piles," he told New Scientist.

But the laser guidance systems teams have developed for 3D imaging in
the RoboCup Rescue competition could be adapted for use by human
rescuers much sooner, he adds.

Laser maps

"When you go into a dark, smoke-filled structure as a rescuer and then
have to explain the layout to other rescuers, a lot is lost in
translation," Haus says. "3D mapping would be a huge benefit."

Haus was one of the search and rescue experts that helped Jacoff
develop the RoboCup Rescue maze, and says current scanning and map
generation technology is too slow to be of much use for emergency
response teams.

But the current time they take – roughly 5-10 minutes to scan a 900m2
area and another 5-10 minutes to stitch the images together – will
likely decrease rapidly, Haus says..."

</>

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to
claim that we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 6:55:20 PM4/22/08

"George Shirley" <gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote

> I was hired as a consultant by a couple of large hydrocarbon processing
> plants in the area just for Y2K. My job was to coordinate operations when
> all the computer went belly up and they had to run them manually. Wasn't
> because I was a good industrial safety professional, was because I used to
> run plants by hand back in the day, 1961 to 1976.
>
> I laughed all the way to the bank. Their own computer professionals were
> telling them it wasn't necessary that the changes had been made to the
> programming. A great many chemical and petroleum engineers then were
> computer illiterates.

I'm happy you made out like a bandit, good for you. Made them feel
more secure and you made a chunk of change. What's not to like?

nancy

cshenk

Apr 22, 2008, 7:11:03 PM4/22/08
<ranck> wrote

> You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
> radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
> of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
> refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
> So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.

Well, you live in the same state I do and thats normal every year to remind
folks before hurricane season to have a small stock of things

zxcvbob

Apr 22, 2008, 7:16:09 PM4/22/08

How much toilet paper did she buy? People up here tend to panic-buy
milk, bread, and TP, I guess because they are all white (maybe it's just
a Scandinavian thing)

Bob

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 7:21:49 PM4/22/08

Nifty. How is the Red Sea? I'll be diving there in September.

Paul M. Cook

Apr 22, 2008, 7:24:17 PM4/22/08

"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote
>
>> Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
>> UP...!!!
>
> (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
> fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.

That's because we had a worldwide effort to fix the problem long before it
could have become a real problem. I'll agree that their is a lot of fear
mongering but it doesn't mean there is nothing to be concerned about.

What you are seeing in the food crisis is the result of the last 8 years of
"free market" capitalism aka free trade agreements. By opening markets to
global competitors in developing countries they forced out the locals who
could not compete with subsidized pricing from rich countries. This left
the entire country open to the whims of the commodities markets and the
speculative trading that is part of it. Haiti was a self sustaining nation
not so long ago, they grew plenty of food and even exported some of it.
Ditto for many other smaller countries all over Asia and parts of Africa.
Now they have no local farms left and the people are forced to pay whatever
the stock markets determine is a good price and keep global investors making
money. In a country where people don't make 2 bucks a day they can't afford
to pay for so much as a pound of a basic foodstuff at the prevailing rate.
This will result in global political instability and that is not good for
anyone on so many levels.

It's not good and it bodes poorly for everyone. The next time you hear some
politician chirping about the next FTA, do something to help them not get
elected.

Paul

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 7:24:51 PM4/22/08

You laughed all the way to the bank, but for them it was dirt cheap
insurance against interruptions to their revenue stream.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 7:27:18 PM4/22/08

I'm sure what he and others like him were paid while nice for an
individual, represent the first minute of lost revenue if those
refineries actually went down (if even that).

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 7:36:20 PM4/22/08

"Paul M. Cook" <pmc...@gte.net> wrote

> "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote

>> (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this

>> fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>
> That's because we had a worldwide effort to fix the problem long before it
> could have become a real problem.

Yes. We are in agreement there, I said that before. Y2K didn't sneak up,
and a lot of work went into making it go smoothly.

> It's not good and it bodes poorly for everyone. The next time you hear
> some politician chirping about the next FTA, do something to help them not
> get elected.

I agree, again.

nancy

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 7:38:30 PM4/22/08
Madagascar roaches, very tasty fried so I understand. I never tried
eating any bugs but fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants.
Doesn't compare to a nice T-bone steak so didn't eat any more of them.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 7:41:42 PM4/22/08

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" <waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote
>
> > On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:37:27p, Nancy Young told us...
>
> >> It was nonsense because the people who needed to know what had
> >> to be done, did it. Nothing happened on Y2K, as expected, except
> >> for people who like being scared or prepared to kill their neighbors who
> >> were surely going to steal their food.
>
> > May have been total nonsense to you, but there was always that nagging
> > thought that something important might be overlooked and cause some real
> > problems. If you weren't involved, you simply don't know.
>
> You're right, I didn't think the water was going to stop flowing and that
> the food supply would stop dead. I knew utilities were overseen and
> weren't going to be turned off suddenly in the new year. If it did, it
> would
> be fixed. But it wouldn't. And I woke up that morning and there you go,
> no catastrophes.

I was up overnight on a 12 hr shift doing my part to make sure any
problems were resolved before you woke up. The next morning I was
snoozing in one of the hotel rooms the company booked across the street
from the office when I got the page that management had sounded the all
clear and we could go home and just check on things remotely every 4
hrs.

> Like, what exactly would stop the water flowing and the
> electricity to go off permanently?

Nobody said it would be permanent. What was said is that if things
really did go belly up it could take several days for a recovery. Look
to the aftermath of Katrina and how public order degenerated into chaos
in less than a day without the services everyone expected.

> Nothing wrong with having extra
> supplies,
> of course. Prepared is different from that fear people had.

I didn't see a lot of people with the fear you say they had. I saw a lot
of people making reasonable preparations to be self sufficient for a
short while. I'm sure there were a few folks that went overboard, as
well as those like you who seemingly made no preparations.

> > Have you seen that commercial (I don't know what it was for) where there's
> > a guy pedalling something that looks a bit like a bike, that makes the
> > earth rotate? His shift is over and the new guy has arrived to take over.
> > For a second, the earth stops rotating.
>
> No, I haven't seen that one. Cute.

Yea, I've seen it and it is rather cute. I think it might have been for
Monster.com. Must be on youtube or something.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 7:44:39 PM4/22/08

George Shirley wrote:

> ra...@vt.edu wrote:
> > Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

> >> (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
> >> fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
> >
> > You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
> > radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> > if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
> > of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
> > refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
> >
> > So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
> >
> > Bill Ranck
> > Blacksburg, Va.
> You need to move to hurricane alley, nearly all of us have either
> gasoline or natural gas powered generators for keeping things going that
> need electricity. I'm shopping for a natural gas, whole house generator now.

I'm in tornado alley and I'm working on my bunker plans.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 7:46:50 PM4/22/08
Nope, when a hurricane brews up in the Gulf the unprepared idjits hit
all the supermarkets and Walmart stores within 50 miles and strip them
of anything that can be used as food, toilet paper, bottled water, milk,
etc. Candles, flashlights, batteries, propane bottles, etc. all go fast too.

We have a hurricane list taped to the inside of our pantry. Each item is
typed in with location, amount, date purchased, and what fits where. We
have kerosene lamps, battery lamps, hand cranked and shake-em-up
flashlights, the whole gamut of things that could be useful if power
goes off, the trees block roads, and all of that.

Rita was the first storm I ever ran from. Wife looked at me the day
before Rita hit and said "Old man, how long can you tread water?" I
realized I'm not a youngster and no longer in emergency services, what
the hell am I doing here and off we went. Came home the following
Monday, patched the holes in the roof, checked on my clients (I was
still consulting then), lit out for Tomball, TX and stayed with our
daughter until the police said it was okay to come home. Thank goodness
for the internet, we stayed in touch with officials in our area who gave
us updates on when to come home. There was no New Orleans here, no lives
were lost, property damage was in the millions but no flooding beyond
that that was on the coast and about 25 miles inland, all coastal
prairie. Yup, I'll run next time too. Nine hurricanes I rode out from
1947 until 1992, not no more the Texian said.

George

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 7:49:20 PM4/22/08
People tell me the best diving is the Great Barrier Reef. I've never
been there but the Red Sea reefs are primo. Spent five years living
within a half kilometer of the Red Sea and fished, dove, and snorkeled
in it for five years. Fantastic clear water, the Red Sea is more saline
than other seas and oceans so you'll need extra weights to stay down.
Where on the sea will you be going?

sueb

Apr 22, 2008, 7:48:06 PM4/22/08
On Apr 22, 12:17 pm, Gregory Morrow <gregorymor...@earthlink.net>

wrote:
> Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
> UP...!!!
>
> Some nooze items from Goggle Nooze:
>
> http://cbs5.com/wrapper_consumer/seenon/rice.shortage.rationing.2.705...
>
> Rice Shortage Prompts Costco Calif. Rice Rationing
>
> " MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS 5) -- Rice is a popular dish in many Bay Area
> homes, but now there's a shortage that is making the cost of the
> staple unstable.
>
> The cost of a 50-pound sack of jasmine rice has soared to $21.99.
> There have been so many buyers flocking a Costco in Mountain View that
> two other brands of rice were completely sold out Monday.
>
> Costco is now posting signs limiting how much rice you can buy based
> on your previous purchases. Our video report has more behind the
> reasons behind the ration, and how consumers are cutting back on
> rice..."

Oh for pete's sake! There's plenty of rice in Mountain View. Maybe
you can't buy *that* brand at *that* price at *that* Costco, but
there's lots of rice at other stores. That Costco is just trying to
make sure that their preferred customers = the businesses that
steadily patronise them and buy in bulk from them = mom+pop
restaurants have access to the bulk rice.

I may be white as the driven snow but plenty of my friends are Asian
and I don't know any families who buy 50lb sacks of rice.

And shame on you for posting such fearmongering drivel.

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 7:51:03 PM4/22/08
Well, since they told me they lost a half million dollars a day when the
plant shut down I should have charged more. <BSEG>

I stayed under contract to that plant until 01/01/2007 and we were both
happy.

Nancy Young

Apr 22, 2008, 7:52:53 PM4/22/08

"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> You're right, I didn't think the water was going to stop flowing and that
>> the food supply would stop dead. I knew utilities were overseen and
>> weren't going to be turned off suddenly in the new year. If it did, it
>> would
>> be fixed. But it wouldn't. And I woke up that morning and there you go,
>> no catastrophes.
>
> I was up overnight on a 12 hr shift doing my part to make sure any
> problems were resolved before you woke up.

I'm sure lots of people did that and I would have been one of them
if I had still been working. Hell, I did that lots of times when it wasn't
Y2K.

My company never got us rooms, though. I'd sleep on listings.

>> Nothing wrong with having extra
>> supplies,
>> of course. Prepared is different from that fear people had.
>
> I didn't see a lot of people with the fear you say they had.

You probably didn't notice, it was a big thing. Even someone here
on this newsgroup at the time was talking about barricading himself
and his family and shooting the neighbors who'd come after his food.
There were a lot of people with that mindset, witness George's own
sister if you think I'm making it up. It's what got me so aggravated
on the subject, calm down people! That's crazy talk! There will be
food!

>I saw a lot
> of people making reasonable preparations to be self sufficient for a
> short while. I'm sure there were a few folks that went overboard, as
> well as those like you who seemingly made no preparations.

I can last a few days no problem, assuming my house doesn't burn
down or something.

> Yea, I've seen it and it is rather cute. I think it might have been for
> Monster.com. Must be on youtube or something.

Wonder if I've never seen it or didn't notice it.

nancy

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 8:05:43 PM4/22/08

George Shirley wrote:

<snippage>

> >> We used to get the odd one in our garden when we lived in western Saudi
> >> Arabia. Imagine a grasshopper four inches long that flies in large
> >> groups and you can see how scary they would be to Westerners. We were
> >> only 80 miles across the Red Sea from Africa so it was no big jaunt.
> >> Particularly as the wind blew to Saudi in the morning and back to Africa
> >> in the afternoon.
> >
> > Nifty. How is the Red Sea? I'll be diving there in September.
> People tell me the best diving is the Great Barrier Reef. I've never
> been there but the Red Sea reefs are primo. Spent five years living
> within a half kilometer of the Red Sea and fished, dove, and snorkeled
> in it for five years. Fantastic clear water, the Red Sea is more saline
> than other seas and oceans so you'll need extra weights to stay down.
> Where on the sea will you be going?

I don't have the full itinerary yet, but the diving portion is a week on
an Emperor live aboard dive yacht, part of a two week trip with the
first week on land touring Egypt. The dive pics I saw from the scouting
trip look really good.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 8:09:33 PM4/22/08

Where I was supporting Y2K we could rack up millions in fines if we were
down just 4 hrs during the business day. Even deeper doo doo for longer
outages. We were never down for more than 15 minutes in all the time I
was responsible in that area.

Pete C.

Apr 22, 2008, 8:25:02 PM4/22/08

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
>
> >> You're right, I didn't think the water was going to stop flowing and that
> >> the food supply would stop dead. I knew utilities were overseen and
> >> weren't going to be turned off suddenly in the new year. If it did, it
> >> would
> >> be fixed. But it wouldn't. And I woke up that morning and there you go,
> >> no catastrophes.
> >
> > I was up overnight on a 12 hr shift doing my part to make sure any
> > problems were resolved before you woke up.
>
> I'm sure lots of people did that and I would have been one of them
> if I had still been working. Hell, I did that lots of times when it wasn't
> Y2K.
>
> My company never got us rooms, though. I'd sleep on listings.

My company is pretty good on that stuff. Since they wanted us on long
shifts and nearby for the event they booked enough rooms at the hotel
across the street to cover everyone who was off the rotation during the
event. They are also good about telling us to go to a hotel nearby and
expense it if we end up working a long problem at a site vs. driving
home exhausted.

> >> Nothing wrong with having extra
> >> supplies,
> >> of course. Prepared is different from that fear people had.
> >
> > I didn't see a lot of people with the fear you say they had.
>
> You probably didn't notice, it was a big thing. Even someone here
> on this newsgroup at the time was talking about barricading himself
> and his family and shooting the neighbors who'd come after his food.
> There were a lot of people with that mindset, witness George's own
> sister if you think I'm making it up. It's what got me so aggravated
> on the subject, calm down people! That's crazy talk! There will be
> food!

I expect those folks also aren't very rational during normal times
either.

> >I saw a lot
> > of people making reasonable preparations to be self sufficient for a
> > short while. I'm sure there were a few folks that went overboard, as
> > well as those like you who seemingly made no preparations.
>
> I can last a few days no problem, assuming my house doesn't burn
> down or something.

Yea, I find it hard to believe anyone who has a home, doesn't have
enough stock in their pantry to hold them at least a week.

I didn't do anything special for Y2K. My normal stock levels of
everything essential and backup systems has always been adequate to get
through any reasonable event. These days I work from home as well, so I
figure based on my normal pantry stocking levels, I could stay isolated
a good 60 days when the bird flu pandemic blows through and still work.

zxcvbob

Apr 22, 2008, 8:47:25 PM4/22/08
Pete C. wrote:
> These days I work from home as well, so I
> figure based on my normal pantry stocking levels, I could stay isolated
> a good 60 days when the bird flu pandemic blows through and still work.

I used the bird flu thing as an excuse to buy a new rifle a year-or-two
ago. I wanted the rifle anyway, just needed an excuse to finally get it. :-)

Bob

Blinky the Shark

Apr 22, 2008, 8:52:46 PM4/22/08

They're big enough to fry *us* if they ever get a handle on "fire".

> any bugs but fried grasshoppers and chocolate covered ants. Doesn't
> compare to a nice T-bone steak so didn't eat any more of them.

Or that package of pork I just brought home to grill later...

George Shirley

Apr 22, 2008, 9:07:40 PM4/22/08
See, you should have never moved away from Texas, you don't need excuses
there to get a new rifle. At least I never did.

George

zxcvbob

Apr 22, 2008, 9:31:50 PM4/22/08

The excuse was to my cheapskate self. :-) Wife couldn't care less what
I spend on guns and beer and manly stuff like that, as long as the bills
get paid and she doesn't have to pay 'em. But I'm so cheap I make Jack
Benny look like a spendthrift. Not sure where I got that; probably
because Dad grew up during The Depression and I picked it up from him --
and exaggerated it.

(The young'uns are probably wondering what a Jack Benny is about now...)

Bob

Gloria P

Apr 22, 2008, 10:39:25 PM4/22/08
sueb wrote:

> Oh for pete's sake! There's plenty of rice in Mountain View. Maybe
> you can't buy *that* brand at *that* price at *that* Costco, but
> there's lots of rice at other stores. That Costco is just trying to
> make sure that their preferred customers = the businesses that
> steadily patronise them and buy in bulk from them = mom+pop
> restaurants have access to the bulk rice.

I may be white as the driven snow but plenty of my friends are Asian
and I don't know any families who buy 50lb sacks of rice.

OTOH I do know many Asian families who do buy rice in bulk just as I
know many Hispanics and other southwesterners who buy pinto beans
in 25 or 50 pound bags.

gloria p

Paul M. Cook

Apr 23, 2008, 12:43:53 AM4/23/08

"Gloria P" <gpue...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I know of an Indian family that buys in 50 pound bags at a time. They eat
basmati with every meal practically.

Paul

sf

Apr 23, 2008, 1:58:32 AM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:05:22 +0000 (UTC), ra...@vt.edu wrote:

>You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
>radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
>if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
>of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
>refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
>So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.

I'm surprised it was issued by Homeland Security and not FEMA. That
was just a regular disaster preparedness precaution. Ask anyone who
lives in a zone where natural catastrophes can happen.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Adam Funk

Apr 23, 2008, 9:06:06 AM4/23/08

http://xkcd.com/366/

--
History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.

Adam Funk

Apr 23, 2008, 9:19:16 AM4/23/08
On 2008-04-22, zxcvbob wrote:

>> I had a big laugh at what one of my older sisters did prior to Y2K. Got
>> $20K in cash, bought a pistol (never fired one in her life), filled two
>> spare bedrooms with canned goods and bottled water. I think she's still
>> eating and drinking stuff she bought then. She was in a total panic that
>> she was going to starve to death.

> How much toilet paper did she buy? People up here tend to panic-buy
> milk, bread, and TP, I guess because they are all white (maybe it's just
> a Scandinavian thing)

I blame Sears for switching to glosy paper.

--
Any employee here on the hill would run at high speed: 9600 or 19200
baud. Only someone calling through a modem would let their data

Becca

Apr 23, 2008, 11:00:17 AM4/23/08
George Shirley wrote:

> No one here on the Gulf Coast is paying them any mind as it is business
> as usual. June first begins hurricane season and we all tend to stock up
> on non-perishable items just prior to the start. Those that don't stock
> up are the ones under thirty years of age who think they're bullet proof
> and nursing home operators.

George, this is the first time I have ever lived outside of the
hurricane zone. It is nice, not having to worry.

We are in the business of selling cruises, so in other ways, we still
have to worry about hurricanes. lol

Becca

George Shirley

Apr 23, 2008, 11:02:54 AM4/23/08
Tornadoes and earthquakes scare the hell out of me, I prefer hurricanes.
At least you can run from them. <BSEG>

George

Becca

Apr 23, 2008, 11:04:15 AM4/23/08
George Shirley wrote:

> And people like that don't listen to the voice of reason. My other
> sister and I just went on as normal with the one in the middle
> proclaiming that we couldn't come to her house when all the
> transportation systems collapsed and the ravening horde was devouring
> everything in sight. Of course we don't have a lot to do with her before
> or since but she is blood kin.

During the holidays one year, one of my nieces smiled and said, "Family
is nice, you get to spend time with people, who you would otherwise, not
have anything to do with."

Becca

Becca

Apr 23, 2008, 11:12:28 AM4/23/08
George Shirley wrote:

> I had a big laugh at what one of my older sisters did prior to Y2K. Got
> $20K in cash, bought a pistol (never fired one in her life), filled two
> spare bedrooms with canned goods and bottled water. I think she's still
> eating and drinking stuff she bought then. She was in a total panic that
> she was going to starve to death.

Aunt Jane did the same thing. She died, leaving behind bottled water
and canned foods that she purchased from Whole Foods. I just finished
the last of her tea tree shampoo (which was pretty good). She had no
children and she remembered me kindly in her will, so I hate to say
anything bad about her.

Becca

Becca

Apr 23, 2008, 11:21:50 AM4/23/08
George Shirley wrote:

> Rita was the first storm I ever ran from. Wife looked at me the day
> before Rita hit and said "Old man, how long can you tread water?" I
> realized I'm not a youngster and no longer in emergency services, what
> the hell am I doing here and off we went. Came home the following
> Monday, patched the holes in the roof, checked on my clients (I was
> still consulting then), lit out for Tomball, TX and stayed with our
> daughter until the police said it was okay to come home. Thank goodness
> for the internet, we stayed in touch with officials in our area who gave
> us updates on when to come home. There was no New Orleans here, no lives
> were lost, property damage was in the millions but no flooding beyond
> that that was on the coast and about 25 miles inland, all coastal
> prairie. Yup, I'll run next time too. Nine hurricanes I rode out from
> 1947 until 1992, not no more the Texian said.
>
> George

People should avoid hurricanes, whenever they can. We lived near
Tomball and we lost 2 trees from hurricane Rita. We did not have
electricity for 4-5 days, and you could not find gas anywhere in town.
We used the generator to power the refrigerator, the freezer and the
computer, so we did okay.

Becca

Virginia Tadrzynski

Apr 23, 2008, 11:32:48 AM4/23/08

"Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote in message

snippage

> Very reasonable to be prepared to be on your own a few days, and rather
> disturbing the number of people who aren't prepared for such short
> duration self sufficiency. Something that should really be incorporated
> into our (failing) school systems.

I remember in junior high school they had classes on Civil Defense (this was
in the 70's) and the threat of 'THE BOMB' was still bandied about. We were
taught how to purify water with a few drops of bleach and how to make a
latrine out of a 55 gallon drum if need be. On the same topic, Discovery
had a show on last night called the Alaska Experiment with people having to
fend for themselves in the Alaskan wilderness with little resources (they
gave them food stuffs and the wearwithal to catch more) and instructions on
food preservation. They were given shelter, but if additions needed to be
made they could, etc. It was interesting to see one group run in the cabin
and promptly eat everything in sight while others were attempting to fish.
I took scout leader training and wilderness camping courses and even thought
I would prefer heat, hot water and refridgeration, I don't doubt I could
make do if I had to. These people........one group is like the people
hiding in the house on Night of the Living Dead, you WANT something to eat
them, they are just that annoying!!!!

Re: the rice. Your Asian countries (India, Pakistan, etc) have been told
they will be severely punished for hoarding rice, as it is a hot item on the
commodities market. It's price is rising as we type. Also, today on the
Bloomberg Report, it was indicated that there is a severe shortage of rye
flour and the cost of rye bread will soon be throught the roof....

Who knows what is going on.
-ginny

Pete C.

Apr 23, 2008, 11:40:05 AM4/23/08

Tornadoes are fine as long as you have an underground bunker to hide in
and insurance.

John Kane

Apr 23, 2008, 11:49:54 AM4/23/08

Last I looked FEMA is a subset of HS. It sometimes sounds like
everything with the possible exception of MacDonald's has been rolled
into HS.

As an aside, least one book on emergency responces the I read
recently attributes some of the problems with FEMA's response to
Katrina to this absorption into HS.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada

zxcvbob

Apr 23, 2008, 11:55:57 AM4/23/08

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> These people........one group is like the people
> hiding in the house on Night of the Living Dead, you WANT something to eat
> them, they are just that annoying!!!!

"They're coming to get you, Barbra..." ;-)

Johnny

zxcvbob

Apr 23, 2008, 11:57:40 AM4/23/08

There are very few underground bunkers in Louisiana or East Texas (they
would fill up with water from ground seepage)

Bob

Nancy2

Apr 23, 2008, 12:16:34 PM4/23/08
On Apr 22, 3:05 pm, ra...@vt.edu wrote:

> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > "Gregory Morrow" <gregorymor...@earthlink.net> wrote
> > > Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
> > > UP...!!!
> > (sigh)  Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
> > fearmongering?  People don't need much of a reason.

> You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
> radio a few days ago.  The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
> of some unspecified emergency.  They seemed to imply no power, because
> refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
> So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Don't look now, but that's been GWB's strategy from day one. That's
why in the U.S., citizens fear the government; in other Western
countries, governments fear the citizens.

Dubya has wanted to keep the citizenry in a state of constant fear
since day one - it gives him more power. Don't you recall all the
"red," "orange," "yellow," etc., days of terror threats?

N.

John Kane

Apr 23, 2008, 12:16:51 PM4/23/08
On Apr 22, 6:45 pm, Gregory Morrow <gregorymor...@earthlink.net>
wrote:
> John Kane wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 4:15 pm, Gregory Morrow <gregorymor...@earthlink.net>
> > wrote:

> > Have a look at the most recent New Scientist.  It has some interesting
> > articles on the collapse of civilisation as we know it.
>
> Articles like this one...??? :

---clip long list of NewScientistTech articles--

Err no. The ones I referred to would be in what now would be last
week's paper version of New Scientist not in NewScientistTech. However
I was reading it at the library and don't have the actual titles. The
issue does not seem to be on line yet-- it looks like it will take a
month to get them.

Basically they dissuss the vunerability of our current civilisation
and economy to such things as a new large scale epidemic and also
cover some more theorectical work on systems theory.

Having been through the the Great Ice Storm of 1998,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Ice_Storm,
the power failure in 2003 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Ice_Storm
and on the outskirts of the SARS panic in Toronto in 2003
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/171/11/1342

and having watched and read about the Katrina fiasco I am less than
totally confident in our ability to handle fairly large emergencies.
(Admittedly Katrina was mostly bureaucratic bungling and a failure of
political will)

We also are likely to have some serious point failures with serious or
catastrophic effect. One of the NS articles mentions that during the
SARS outbreak in Toronto, the medical services had almost completely
exhausted the world supply of face masks and that was a very minor
outbreak. SARS was minor compared with something like the 1919 flu
epidemic.

Another example that was in the political news here in Canada was the
nuclear power plant at Chalk River (Ontario) being closed down for
violations of safety regulations by the Canadian nuclear regulator. A
minor thing except apparently Chalk River produces something like two
thirds of all the medical isotopes used in the world.

Have a look at the Comp.Risks newgroup for the occasional VERY scary
report.

John Kane

Apr 23, 2008, 12:20:19 PM4/23/08
On Apr 22, 7:48 pm, sueb <siouxbe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 22, 12:17 pm, Gregory Morrow <gregorymor...@earthlink.net>

> wrote:
>

> > Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
> > UP...!!!
>
> > Some nooze items from Goggle Nooze:
>
> >http://cbs5.com/wrapper_consumer/seenon/rice.shortage.rationing.2.705...
>
> > Rice Shortage Prompts Costco Calif. Rice Rationing
>
> > " MOUNTAIN VIEW (CBS 5) -- Rice is a popular dish in many Bay Area
> > homes, but now there's a shortage that is making the cost of the
> > staple unstable.
>
> > The cost of a 50-pound sack of jasmine rice has soared to $21.99.
> > There have been so many buyers flocking a Costco in Mountain View that
> > two other brands of rice were completely sold out Monday.
>
> > Costco is now posting signs limiting how much rice you can buy based
> > on your previous purchases. Our video report has more behind the
> > reasons behind the ration, and how consumers are cutting back on
> > rice..."

> Oh for pete's sake!  There's plenty of rice in Mountain View.  Maybe
> you can't buy *that* brand at *that* price at *that* Costco, but
> there's lots of rice at other stores.  That Costco is just trying to
> make sure that their preferred customers = the businesses that
> steadily patronise them and buy in bulk from them = mom+pop
> restaurants have access to the bulk rice.
>
> I may be white as the driven snow but plenty of my friends are Asian
> and I don't know any families who buy 50lb sacks of rice.

I don't think we have 50lb sack in most cases but all the grocery
stores I visit have 10 kg and often 20 kg bags available and they seem
to sell fast enough. I definately know families that buy the 10kg
bags

Sheldon

Apr 23, 2008, 12:36:08 PM4/23/08
On Apr 22, 5:09�pm, ra...@vt.edu wrote:
> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > <ra...@vt.edu> wrote
> > > You know, I heard some sort of "public service" announcement on the

> > > radio a few days ago. �The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> > > if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
> > People probably should have 3 days of food and water. �Long power
> > outtages have occurred now and then. �Never mind hurricanes.
> > I don't think that's unreasonable.
>
> Oh, I'm not saying it's unreasonable, it's just the first time since the
> 1960s that I remember hearing an actual government radio spot
> saying so. �

You must have been comatose for nigh on 50 years... every time there's
a period of severe weather the local and federal governments make
public announcements aplenty... next you're going to tell us you never
owned a radio or TV and never read a newspaper... even the National
Enquirer periodically prints a survival article.

> I thought about it and 3 days seemed a little too short to me,
> but one can live without food for quite a long time if you have water
> and I've got plenty of water. �I also probably have a week or so of
> non-refrigerated food, too. �Might get a bit tedious, but I'd have food.

I probably have enough food and water that needs no refrigeration to
last me a year, maybe two... and it wouldn't get in the least bit
tedius... I eat a lot of canned fish, canned beans, and Spam regularly
anyway... and I must have at least 100 two liter bottles of seltza
along with as many assorted sody pop flavors. I have at least as much
cat food too.. and I never tested it but I bet if they get thirsty
enough cats will drink seltza... I know they drink water even if
they're not thirsty if it's in an unrinsed Fancy Feast can.

TammyM

Apr 23, 2008, 12:47:47 PM4/23/08

"George Shirley" <gsh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

LOL! Must be "the devil you know" :-) For me, earthquakes are a given with
which I've lived all my life. The thought of hurricanes and tornadoes
scares the behoogies outta me!

It's always sensible to have an emergency stash. I always have water, pet
food & people food, batteries, flashlight, radio. Also good to keep your
gas tank half-full. Heh. If you can afford it!

TammyM, put $10 in the tank this morning and got all of 2 and a half gals or
so

Sheldon

Apr 23, 2008, 12:57:35 PM4/23/08
On Apr 22, 5:18�pm, "Pete C." <aux3.DO...@snet.net> wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > <ra...@vt.edu> wrote

> > > You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the

> > > radio a few days ago. �The Department of Homeland Security was asking
> > > if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
> > > of some unspecified emergency. �They seemed to imply no power, because
> > > refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
> > > So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
>
> > People probably should have 3 days of food and water. �Long power
> > outtages have occurred now and then. �Never mind hurricanes.
> > I don't think that's unreasonable.
>
> > nancy
>
> Hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, floods, earthquakes, fires,
> epidemics, terrorist attacks, etc. Lots of possible events that can
> cause a need to be self sufficient for a few days.

> Very reasonable to be prepared to be on your own a few days, and rather
> disturbing the number of people who aren't prepared for such short
> duration self sufficiency.

You'd be surprised at how many females don't keep more than a day's
worth of TP and tampons at home because they rely on public rest room
dispensers. Didya know that the typical female uses six times as much
TP as the typical male. And females complain about males not putting
the toilet seat down, but females rarely if ever put the toilet lid
down... where toilets are concerned it's all about females. Fellas,
if you ever go house hunting be certain it has a bathroom just for
you, and never ever enter the female terlit, not for any reason
whatsoever, let them repair their own leaks and clogs... didya know
that females need to plunge the terlit 100 time more often than
males. And females never check after they flush... I never figured
that one out, except that where bodily functions are concerned females
musn't have any shame... must have to do with them experiencing child
birth... but wimen are surely pigs in the terlit. Everything I need
in the toilet fits in a shoebox.

Message has been deleted

ra...@vt.edu

Apr 23, 2008, 1:31:57 PM4/23/08
Sheldon <PENM...@aol.com> wrote:

> You must have been comatose for nigh on 50 years... every time there's
> a period of severe weather the local and federal governments make
> public announcements aplenty... next you're going to tell us you never

Hence the part where I said "unspecified emergency." Warnings prior
to severe weather would be more specific. This was just a random ad
where they asked people on the street if they had enough food and
water for 3 days. This was not in response to a pending storm or
anything.

> owned a radio or TV and never read a newspaper... even the National
> Enquirer periodically prints a survival article.

True, I was listening to a radio station that I don't usually
listen to, but this PSA caught my attention because it was not
the normal pre-storm sort of thing but instead harked back to
the old Civil Defense days when we were supposed to be ready
for anything all the time.

> along with as many assorted sody pop flavors. I have at least as much
> cat food too.. and I never tested it but I bet if they get thirsty

One of the "man on the street" types said he had dog food and
it was safe for human consumption if it came to that.

> enough cats will drink seltza... I know they drink water even if
> they're not thirsty if it's in an unrinsed Fancy Feast can.

I'm sure once the seltzer goes flat the cats will drink it.
My cat drinks very little water anyway, at least as far as I can
tell.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Message has been deleted

Becca

Apr 23, 2008, 1:57:54 PM4/23/08
Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> These people........one group is like the people
> hiding in the house on Night of the Living Dead, you WANT something to eat
> them, they are just that annoying!!!!

When the traffic light turns green and the car in front of me just sit
there, I feel the say way. Where are zombies when you need them.

Becca

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:13:59 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:56:07 -0400, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

>> Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
>> UP...!!!
>
>(sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>

>nancy

fear boosts the heart rate. and best of all, it's free!

your pal,
george

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:16:49 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:05:22 +0000 (UTC), ra...@vt.edu wrote:

>Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote
>
>> > Yep, kids...it's TRUE...the "END TIMES" are near...so go out and STOCK
>> > UP...!!!
>
>> (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>> fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>

>You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
>radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
>if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
>of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
>refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>
>So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
>

>Bill Ranck

any day now, i expect the department of homeland security will invent
a new light spectrum to use in the threat level. after all, elections
are approaching.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:18:08 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:27:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

><ra...@vt.edu> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

>>> (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>>> fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>>
>> You know, I heard some sort of "public service" annoucement on the
>> radio a few days ago. The Department of Homeland Security was asking
>> if everyone had enough food and water and supplies for 3 days in case
>> of some unspecified emergency. They seemed to imply no power, because
>> refrigerated and frozen stuff was being disparaged in the spot.
>>
>> So the government seems to be beating the Chicken Little drum, too.
>

>People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power
>outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes.
>I don't think that's unreasonable.
>
>nancy

i try always to have on hand a three-day supply of cigarettes and
booze.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:19:37 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 16:26:20 -0500, "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net>
wrote:

>ra...@vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> > <ra...@vt.edu> wrote

>> > People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power
>> > outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes.
>> > I don't think that's unreasonable.
>>

>> Oh, I'm not saying it's unreasonable, it's just the first time since the
>> 1960s that I remember hearing an actual government radio spot saying

>> so. I thought about it and 3 days seemed a little too short to me,

>> but one can live without food for quite a long time if you have water
>> and I've got plenty of water. I also probably have a week or so of
>> non-refrigerated food, too. Might get a bit tedious, but I'd have food.
>

>I recall hearing similar PSAs, often from the Red Cross many times over
>the years, particularly preceding the winter in the northeast with it's
>potential for nasty snow and ice storms. It's just one of those things
>that for most people go in one ear and out the other unless some other
>highly publicized news has provided a connection for them to realize.
>
>There isn't anything really magic about three days, it's just a number
>that will seem to be attainable without excess effort to most people, as
>well as a reasonable expectation for how long it can take the government
>to spin up it's resources and get aid into an area (think Katrina).

if you think katrina, you'd better think three years.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:20:20 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:32:03 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote:

>On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:26:20p, Pete C. told us...

>Heh, if I think Katrina, I think 3 months.

you're more optimistic than me.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:23:04 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:35:47 -0700, Blinky the Shark
<no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>Pete C. wrote:
>

>> I recall hearing similar PSAs, often from the Red Cross many times over
>

>Come to think of it, I haven't run this PSA in quite a while. Thanks for
>reminding me. It's something of which we should not lose sight. :)
>
>http://blinkynet.net/humor/psa01ct.html

but they're really *nice* cooties.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:24:21 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 22:49:01 +0100, Adam Funk <a24...@ducksburg.com>
wrote:

>On 2008-04-22, Blinky the Shark wrote:
>
>> Come to think of it, I haven't run this PSA in quite a while. Thanks for
>> reminding me. It's something of which we should not lose sight. :)
>>
>> http://blinkynet.net/humor/psa01ct.html
>

>*All* of them?
>
>http://www.newsfroup.net/procurable/

this calls for making your way though the list scientifically.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:27:25 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:36:48 -0700, Blinky the Shark
<no....@box.invalid> wrote:

>Pete C. wrote:

>> Nancy Young wrote:
>>>
>>> <ra...@vt.edu> wrote

>>> People probably should have 3 days of food and water. Long power
>>> outtages have occurred now and then. Never mind hurricanes. I don't
>>> think that's unreasonable.
>>>

>>> nancy
>>
>> Hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, floods, earthquakes, fires, epidemics,
>> terrorist attacks, etc. Lots of possible events that can cause a need to
>> be self sufficient for a few days.
>

>Locusts. Nobody ever thinks of locusts any more. They need better
>lobbyists.

i thought they were the same thing.

your pal,
blake

cshenk

Apr 23, 2008, 2:29:03 PM4/23/08
"aem" wrote

>> I may be white as the driven snow but plenty of my friends are Asian
>> and I don't know any families who buy 50lb sacks of rice.

>We bought 50-lb sacks of rice for years. Had nothing to do with
>hoarding, just convenience and volume discount. Savings were worth it
>and we had a place to store it. Now with two fewer mouths to feed and

I never got the 50lb bags but commonly saw others do this. For me, it was
just too big to pick up! ;-) It was not uncommon for me to grab 2 25lb
bags though on a good sale. Don't hit me but we tend to go through 5 lbs of
rice a week here. Hence, 50lbs would be a 10 week supply which is not
outrageous to get.

>less storage space we buy 25-lb bags or 10-lb bags, depending just on
>what's available when we need it. I really prefer the larger size;
>ten pounds seems to go too quickly. The stories about meaningful

Just a 2 week supply here in a 10lb bag.

>shortages in some parts of the world are real, but not at Costco or in
>the U.S. 'burbs. -aem

Agreed. But it *has* gone up. Good news though is the Texas grown basmati
is now pretty good stuff! It didnt used to be.

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:31:08 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 15:37:42 -0500, "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net>
wrote:

>ra...@vt.edu wrote:
>>
>> Nancy Young <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > "Gregory Morrow" <gregor...@earthlink.net> wrote

>> > (sigh) Wasn't the ridiculous panic about Y2K enough, now we need this
>> > fearmongering? People don't need much of a reason.
>

>First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible
>for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
>was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
>those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
>for a few months.

y2k was an absolute boon for data processing consultants, i'll grant
you that.

'first you must take an inventory of your date-dependent
applications...'

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Apr 23, 2008, 2:34:52 PM4/23/08
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:08:28 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
<waynebo...@arizona.usa.com> wrote:

>On Tue 22 Apr 2008 02:02:48p, Nancy Young told us...
>

>> "Pete C." <aux3....@snet.net> wrote

>this
>>>
>>> First off, the Y2K panic had reasonable underpinnings. I was responsible
>>> for some of that Y2K remediation testing and I can assure you that there
>>> was a lot of work done and if it had not been done successfully some of
>>> those doom and gloom scenarios would have indeed been reality at least
>>> for a few months.
>>

>> And that's why I don't think it was reasonable. It was taken care of.
>>
>> nancy
>
>Yes, for the most part, and primarily within large organizations. However,
>there was quite a scramble by small companies who realized in the 11th hour
>that they might need to do something. It was almost too late for some of
>them.

yes, but if you'll recall, there were wild fears of planes falling out
of the sky and crap like that. not catastrophes like your utility
bills being screwed up.

your pal,
blake

It is loading more messages.