British Cooking

Madge

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Are all the messages left here , American?

Are there any more Brits leaving messages apart from me?

Talk to me if your a Brit and lets swop old fashioned recipes
and educate a few yanks at the same time!!:-)

Thank you

Madge

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:

: Are all the messages left here , American?

:
: Are there any more Brits leaving messages apart from me?

No! you are the only one <LOL> (in England with internet).
:
: Talk to me if your a Brit and lets swop old fashioned recipes

: and educate a few yanks at the same time!!:-)
:
: Thank you
:
: Madge

:
You going to teach them how to dip bread into bacon drippings?

Rob.
I'm choppin' broccoli.
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~chef

Ponce de Leon

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
'ello, 'ello, 'ello!

Bangers and Mash or Beans on Toast for all!

Madge

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
You obviously know alot about British cooking Mr De Leon!!!

I dont think!!!

:-)

Madge

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
YOu would be amazed how many people have the internet
here.......

You mean you actualy ''chop' Broccoli in the USA?

Anmd I thought life was too short to stuff a grape let alone
chop broccoli!!!

Regards Madge

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Thank you for backing up my believes ... I said "what are you
going to teach them?"
^^^^keyword!

...get a clue!

On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Madge wrote: <continues to troll>

: YOu would be amazed how many people have the internet

:
:
:

Rob.
...To prepare and serve.
Cyber Chef Cookbook
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~chef

PENMART10

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
In article <0ae5db72...@usw-ex0102-014.remarq.com>, Madge
<madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>You obviously know alot about British cooking Mr De Leon!!!
>
>I dont think!!!
>
>:-)
>
>Madge

British Cooking is an oxymoron.

Sheldon
````````````
On a recent Night Court rerun, Judge Harry Stone had a wonderful line:
"I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."

Madge

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
Do all Americans believe we British cant cook?

Am I alone here....

thank you for all your kind comments ''gentlemen''

Steve Martin

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
In article <20000319135329...@nso-fe.aol.com>,

penm...@aol.com (PENMART10) wrote:
> In article <0ae5db72...@usw-ex0102-014.remarq.com>, Madge
> <madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> writes:
>
> >You obviously know alot about British cooking Mr De Leon!!!
> >
> >I dont think!!!
> >
> >:-)
> >
> >Madge
> >

> British Cooking is an oxymoron.
>
> Sheldon
> ````````````
Do you mean an oxo moron :o)

Steve Martin.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:

: Do all Americans believe we British cant cook?

:
: Am I alone here....
:
: thank you for all your kind comments ''gentlemen''
:
: Regards
:
: Madge

:
Back the truck up ... I do believe you started this with a troll!
Play with fire, burn your fingers ... now bugger off and learn how to
cook, or go back to your dish washing!

Ed Ngai

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
What about Grahm Kerr. When I was growing up I always watched
him on tv in the US. I actually saw him about 2 or 3 years ago
at a cooking pavillion thing, along w/ Yang - funny chines cook,
and some others. Kerr's a funny guy in person.

Madge wrote:

> Do all Americans believe we British cant cook?
>
> Am I alone here....
>
> thank you for all your kind comments ''gentlemen''
>
> Regards
>
> Madge

Betelgeux

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00

Of course!

Or at least have no identifiable cuisine like the French or Italians. Or
Chinese.

American cuisine, if it exists, certainly comes with an order of fries and a
large Coke. :-)

: Do all Americans believe we British cant cook?
:

Goomba

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
to Ed Ngai
Ed Ngai wrote:

> What about Grahm Kerr. When I was growing up I always watched
> him on tv in the US. I actually saw him about 2 or 3 years ago
> at a cooking pavillion thing, along w/ Yang - funny chines cook,
> and some others. Kerr's a funny guy in person.

Isn't Graham Kerr Australian? I found him tons more fun as a child when
he was still into bad habits.
Goomba

Michael Steinel

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
I suspect that in Britain and North America cooking has improved vastly
in the last half-century because of prosperity, availability of fresh
vegetables, and exposure to other cuisines through immigration, reading
and travel. When Elizabeth David wrote her first books in the 1950s,
French and Mediterranean cooking was largely foreign to her readers and
some ingredients were hard to find.
Calvin Trillin, who wants spaghetti carbonara to replace turkey as the
American Thanksgiving entree, once joked that God took pity on the US
for losing a war to a little country like Vietnam, so He sent the
Vietnamese chefs to America.

david wright

Mar 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/19/00
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:57:06 GMT, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons)
wrote:

>"Betelgeux" <1@2.3> wrote:
>>Or at least have no identifiable cuisine like the French or Italians. Or
>>Chinese.
>>
>>American cuisine, if it exists, certainly comes with an order of fries and a
>>large Coke. :-)
>

>One would suspect you have spent no time in the South, or New England.
>(The two most important American native cuisines.)
>
>D.

I'll put in a recommendation for the Southwest and the Pacific
Northwest as well. There are regional variations in the US just as
there are in France, Italy, China, etc.

David

PENMART10

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
In article <38D58020...@mindspring.com>, Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com>
writes:

Graham Kerr: Biography

Although Graham Kerr is now an expert on nutrition and healthful eating, he's
best known for his decadent cooking on the Galloping Gourmet, a classic show
now airing on Food Network. Lots of butter, cream and healthy doses of humor
helped make The Galloping Gourmet one of the most beloved cooking shows of all
time.

Born in London in 1934, Graham grew up around some of Europe's finest chefs. He
began working for his parents, well-established hoteliers, at an early age. His
formal culinary and management training began at age 15, when he became a
manager-trainee at the nationally acclaimed Roebuck Hotel in East Sussex,
England. After serving five years in the British Army as catering adviser with
a captain's rank, he returned to the hotel business to become General Manager
of England's Royal Ascot Hotel.

In 1958, Graham moved to New Zealand and was appointed chief catering adviser
for the Royal New Zealand Air Force. It was here that he made his debut as a TV
personality—dressed in uniform, cooking an omelet—at the orders of his
senior officer. Graham's spontaneity and lighthearted humor were an instant
hit. When the military moved him to Australia, he starred in a successful
cooking show called Eggs With Flight Lieutenant Kerr. In 1969 he moved to
Canada, where he caught the world's attention with The Galloping Gourmet,
produced by his wife, Treena Kerr. The Galloping Gourmet quickly became the
most successful cooking show on TV, earning Treena two Emmy nominations as
producer of the year for daytime television.

The Galloping Gourmet ended in 1971 after a tragic accident left Graham
temporarily paralyzed and Treena suffering from long-lasting complications.
Following years of rehabilitation, they co-founded Creative Lifestyle
International, an organization that teaches people how to live better with less
money. But more tragedy was to come: Treena's heart attack in 1986 prompted
Graham to create a new cooking style called "Minimax," food with minimized
health risks and maximum aroma, color, texture and taste. Both Graham and
Treena have since fully recovered.

In 1988, Graham returned to the TV screen with the cooking show Simply
Marvellous, followed by a daily half-hour television series called Graham Kerr.
Other public television shows include Graham Kerr's Kitchen, Swiftly Seasoned
and The Gathering Place. A best-selling author, Graham has published numerous
books, including Smart Cooking (Doubleday, 1991), Minimax (Doubleday, 1992),
Graham Kerr's Kitchen (Putnam, 1994), Graham Kerr's Best (Putnam, 1995) and The
Gathering Place (Camano, 1997).

Don Read

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.100...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,

"Robert W. Keereweer" <ch...@chebucto.ns.ca> writes:
> On Sun, 19 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:
>
>: Are all the messages left here , American?
>:
>: Are there any more Brits leaving messages apart from me?
>
> No! you are the only one <LOL> (in England with internet).

Brits got net ?

Run away ! Hide the NNTP !!

--
Don Read dr...@texas.net
<your Company name here> will sysadmin for food.

Victor Sack

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Madge <madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> Are all the messages left here , American?

No, every single message here is Elbonian. Non-Elbonians are prohibited
from posting here.

The Cabal (tinc)

Derek Lyons

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
"Betelgeux" <1@2.3> wrote:
>Or at least have no identifiable cuisine like the French or Italians. Or
>Chinese.
>
>American cuisine, if it exists, certainly comes with an order of fries and a
>large Coke. :-)

One would suspect you have spent no time in the South, or New England.
(The two most important American native cuisines.)

D.

Madge

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
At least you made me smile:-)

Madge

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Tut Tut Tut.........lost you toys out of your playpen

PENMART10

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
In article <0f813984...@usw-ex0105-038.remarq.com>, Madge
<madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> writes:

>Tut Tut Tut.........lost you toys out of your playpen

Yoose speaking to me... it's Tit Tit Tit

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .

david wright

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:54:25 -0800, Madge
<madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>At least you made me smile:-)

Madge,

When you respond to a message on Usenet, it is very helpful (and
considered to be courteous) to quote some part of the other message.
That way, we can all put your posting in context.

Regards,
David

Ward Stewart

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
wrote:

>"Betelgeux" <1@2.3> wrote:

>>Or at least have no identifiable cuisine like the French or Italians. Or
>>Chinese.
>>
>>American cuisine, if it exists, certainly comes with an order of fries and a
>>large Coke. :-)
>
>One would suspect you have spent no time in the South, or New England.
>(The two most important American native cuisines.)

or given the matter much thought -- in addition to the regional
cuisines there is an "American Cuisine." It is, however, short on
unifying characteristics -- variety and multi-ethnic roots are salient
characteristics -- it is NOT uniform.

Likewise, we all think we know what "Chinese food" is -- there are a
few common characteristics but the variety is kaleidoscopic.

Then we have "Italian Cuisine" Vastly different from the Veneto.to
Calabria to Sicily. One of the chief variations is the American
version of Neapolitan.

Cookery, by its nature, defies such labeling and pigeonholing.

ward

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
"Love, like a mountain-wind upon an oak,
Falling upon me, shakes me leaf and bough."
Sappho of Lesbos
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Madge

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Dear David,

I am so sorry , but I am getting used to being insulted by
everyone on here right now.......... that this is my last
message....

I dont think there seems to be room for a British female who
has an opinion.

Thank you for your advice anyway

Regards

Madge

Michael Steinel

Mar 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/20/00
Madge madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid wrote:

 > I am so sorry , but I am getting used to
>being insulted by everyone on here right
>now.......... that this is my last message....
 >   I dont think there seems to be room for
>a British female who has an opinion.

Come back Madge, share your "old fashioned recipes" and educate a few of
us Yanks. Everybody gets insulted on rfc, it's nothing personal.

Derek Lyons

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
david wright <dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:57:06 GMT, el...@hurricane.net (Derek Lyons)
>wrote:
>
>>"Betelgeux" <1@2.3> wrote:
>>>Or at least have no identifiable cuisine like the French or Italians. Or
>>>Chinese.
>>>
>>>American cuisine, if it exists, certainly comes with an order of fries and a
>>>large Coke. :-)
>>
>>One would suspect you have spent no time in the South, or New England.
>>(The two most important American native cuisines.)
>>

>>D.
>
>I'll put in a recommendation for the Southwest and the Pacific
>Northwest as well. There are regional variations in the US just as
>there are in France, Italy, China, etc.
>
>David

I deliberately omitted those two, as they are not cuisines, (I.E. food
eaten by real people in daily life), but rather are trends created and
maintained by the foodie media.

Michael Steinel

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
I'm not going to quote the whole thread, but Derek el...@hurricane.net
argues that Southwest and Pacific Northwest "cuisines" (contrasted with
Southern and New England) are not "food eaten by real people in daily
life, but rather are trends created and maintained by the foodie media."
Don't know about the Northwest, but in the Southwest, for a long time, a
lot of real people, Anglo and Hispanic, have been eating enchiladas,
tamales, carne adovada, cabrito, frijoles, huevos rancheros, chilè con
carne, chilès relleño and so on. It's home cooking, truck stop food
and Main Street cafe food.
Of course there are trendy, expensive restaurants in Santa Fè, Dallas
and elsewhere where chefs (mostly from California, I think) dream up
"new" Southwest recipes with lots of jicama and goat cheese. The foodie
media love them.

Mike

^*=*^ 2kitties ^*=*^

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Well, yes, except for the two fat ladies, of course. :o)
Serianna

Madge wrote:

> Do all Americans believe we British cant cook?
>

> Am I alone here....
>
> thank you for all your kind comments ''gentlemen''

^*=*^ 2kitties ^*=*^

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
I tell you! On every news group I've ever been on, nothing gets more posts than
a Brit asking a British question. Americans can't resist to post their
opinions. Go ahead. Try it again. Post a survey, like, what's your favorite
British dish and see what happens.
Serianna

Madge wrote:

> Are all the messages left here , American?
>

> Are there any more Brits leaving messages apart from me?
>

> Talk to me if your a Brit and lets swop old fashioned recipes
> and educate a few yanks at the same time!!:-)
>
> Thank you

Christine Ashby

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Ed Ngai <enga...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message

> What about Grahm Kerr. When I was growing up I always watched
> him on tv in the US. I actually saw him about 2 or 3 years ago
> at a cooking pavillion thing, along w/ Yang - funny chines cook,
> and some others. Kerr's a funny guy in person.

Only trouble is, he's a Kiwi...

Christine
(Who has an English MIL, lovely woman but a dreadful cook who confirms all
the stereotypes about pommy cooking!)

Christine Ashby

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Madge <madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> Dear David,

> I am so sorry , but I am getting used to being insulted by
> everyone on here right now.......... that this is my last
> message....
>
> I dont think there seems to be room for a British female who
> has an opinion.
>
> Thank you for your advice anyway
>
> Regards
>
> Madge

Oh, come on Madge, buck up old girl! What happened to the stiff upper lip?

You did ask for it, you know. If you get all defensive and make wild
statements about all Americans (neglecting us poor colonials, whose opinions
apparently mean nothing to you) thinking all Poms can't cook, you've got to
expect a bit of flack.

You would have done much better to impress them with information about great
English cooks and great English dishes. What about Elizabeth David, eh? (If
English cuisine is edible today, it's largely thanks to her.)

You will note that I use the term "English", advisedly. If you're going to
refer to Brits that includes the Scots and I'll have you know, being of 100%
Scottish ancestry myself, that they are excellent cooks (except the ones who
aren't, like my late Aunt Sadie). Possibly a result of the Auld Alliance,
but nonetheless true.

Do try to be a bit more positive.

Christine

PENMART10

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <38D72F72...@dreamsoft.com>, ^*=*^ 2kitties ^*=*^
<seri...@dreamsoft.com> writes:

>I tell you! On every news group I've ever been on, nothing gets more posts
>than a Brit asking a British question. Americans can't resist to post their
>opinions. Go ahead. Try it again. Post a survey, like, what's your
>favorite British dish and see what happens.
>Serianna

The Spice Girls

Madge

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Thank you so much for your support Christine........ I know
quite alot about Scottish cooking , my husband is Scottish!

I also dont mean to generalise about Americans , but when you
get constantly critisised about your version of spelling
words....well.... what can I say.

I have been to America many times , and mostly enjoyed good
cooking there, and I have quite a few American friends.

YOu have mentioned Elizabeth David, how about our Amreican
friends naming a famous American cook?
I would love to know about them......

ONce again thank you Christine for your support,

Regards Madge

In article <RlJB4.53588$3b6.2...@ozemail.com.au>, "Christine

aem

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Madge wrote:

> YOu have mentioned Elizabeth David, how about our Amreican
> friends naming a famous American cook?
> I would love to know about them......

James Beard would be a great one to start with. Try his "American Cookery" if
you are interested in some culinary history and some good basic food. Try a
web search using his name and words like "mentor" and "teacher" and
"original." (I haven't done that, but it ought to yield interesting results.)

Billy Chambless

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Madge <madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

> I am so sorry , but I am getting used to being insulted by

> everyone on here right now.......... that this is my last
> message....

Madge, Madge -- you're falling prey to an optical illusion!!
You've not been insulted by "everyone" -- only by a parochial bonehead
who's too inbred to realise (realize) that some words are spelled
differently
on opposite sides of the pond. (Not to mention Canada, but that's another
issue.)

Sadly, an advantage that the US has -- lots of room -- can be a
disadvantage,
since it means that so many people are never exposed to another culture.

> I dont think there seems to be room for a British female who
> has an opinion.

1: There's always room for another female. :)
2: Without opinions, newsgroups would be pretty pointless, wouldn't they?

Billy Chambless

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

^*=*^ 2kitties ^*=*^ <seri...@dreamsoft.com> wrote in message

> I tell you! On every news group I've ever been on, nothing gets more
posts than
> a Brit asking a British question. Americans can't resist to post their
> opinions. Go ahead. Try it again. Post a survey, like, what's your
favorite
> British dish and see what happens.

Steak and kidney pie, with a Guiness and mushy peas and PLEASE NO CHIPS!

david wright

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, and Diana Kennedy are fairly well-known
U.S. citizens who cook.

David

Alan Zelt

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Derek Lyons wrote:

> >I'll put in a recommendation for the Southwest and the Pacific
> >Northwest as well. There are regional variations in the US just as
> >there are in France, Italy, China, etc.
> >
> >David
>

> I deliberately omitted those two, as they are not cuisines, (I.E. food
> eaten by real people in daily life), but rather are trends created and

> maintained by the foodie media.
>

> D.

I am not sure why you choose to leave out these two areas. I guess it is
just a case of plain old ignorance; which also means that the rest of
your conclusions are plain wrong,too.
--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the
people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Alan Zelt

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

I thought he was born a Brit. Can that be undone?

PENMART10

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <8b89n9$qr3$1...@nntp.msstate.edu>, "Billy Chambless"
<bi...@cast.msstate.edu> writes:

>Steak and kidney pie, with a Guiness and mushy peas and PLEASE NO CHIPS!

HUH?

No apostrophes in England and now misplaced commas... typical <edu>. <G>

Well, I like pleasing chippies. ;)

david wright

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:44:33 GMT, Alan Zelt
<alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Derek Lyons wrote:
>
>> >I'll put in a recommendation for the Southwest and the Pacific
>> >Northwest as well. There are regional variations in the US just as
>> >there are in France, Italy, China, etc.
>> >
>> >David
>>
>> I deliberately omitted those two, as they are not cuisines, (I.E. food
>> eaten by real people in daily life), but rather are trends created and
>> maintained by the foodie media.
>>
>> D.
>
>I am not sure why you choose to leave out these two areas. I guess it is
>just a case of plain old ignorance; which also means that the rest of
>your conclusions are plain wrong,too.

I agree, Alan. The distinctive and traditional foods of the SW and the
Pacific NW were being eaten *long* before there was a "foodie media."

Derek, you're showing your ignorance and/or prejudice. Have you ever
lived in either region? (I've lived in both.)

David

Leonard Lehew

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
As an American who travels frequently to England, I think the
state of food and cooking in England is pretty good and getting
better. I have had some outstanding meals in England including
some at surprising places.

A few random observations and impressions...

- The "full cooked breakfast" is wonderful (and probably fatal
if eaten every day). English bacon is particularly good, but
American sausage is better.

- Potatoes are served at every meal. There may be some kind of
law about this.

- Beautiful, fresh English peas are consistently served with no
seasoning whatsoever (that is a shame).

- Pub food - At its best, it is comfort food that is hearty and
delicious. At its worst, it is bland and unsatisfying.

- Fish and chips - I was surprised to find that it is pretty
much like what you find at the fast-food places in the US.
However, in England, you usually have a choice of what kind of
fish you want.

- England has among the best Indian food in the world. After
all, curry is the national dish.

I've never had trouble finding a good meal in England. Accompany
it with a few pints of bitter... I'm glad I'm heading back there
in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Leonard

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:

: Tut Tut Tut.........lost you toys out of your playpen
:
: * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *

: The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

:
Better yet ... at least you are finally not trolling!

Rob.
...To prepare and serve.
Cyber Chef Cookbook
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~chef

Madge

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Welcome to Britain Leonard!!!

Your right about what you say in your message, you can get
really great food here, and really bad.....the same I guess all
over the world.
I am curious as to where you stay in Britain when your here.
If your talking about London then food can vary dramaticaly!

But if your visiting the different regions and counties then
there is glorious food to be had

1 Scotland =Haggis with a good whiskey sauce

2 Somerset = With its thick velvety clotted cream

3 Wales = Spring Lamb roasted to perfection, crispy on the
outside and pink in the middle.

There are many many more.....

Wonder if anyone else can think of regional dishes they loved
when visiting our isles.

regards and look forward to seeing you Leonard!!

Madge

In article <00cadf56...@usw-ex0102-084.remarq.com>,

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:

: Tut Tut Tut.........lost you toys out of your playpen
:

: * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network *

: The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

:
Who or what are you responding to? Or are you just babbling to
yourself?

Madge

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
Thank you for your kind words!!

I think it was personal for ''Sheldon'' maybe he hates Brits!!!

Anyway I shall continue to post messages , and I will think of
some old fashioned recipes for you ....have you anything in mind?

Regards

Madge

In article <18482-38D70A33-29@storefull-
165.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, mste...@webtv.net (Michael Steinel)
wrote:
>Madge madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid wrote:
>
> =A0>=A0I am so sorry , but I am getting used to

>>being insulted by everyone on here right
>>now.......... that this is my last message....

>=A0>=A0=A0=A0I dont think there seems to be room for

>>a British female who has an opinion.
>

>Come back Madge, share your "old fashioned recipes" and educate

a few of
>us Yanks. Everybody gets insulted on rfc, it's nothing
personal.

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, ^*=*^ 2kitties ^*=*^ wrote:

: I tell you! On every news group I've ever been on, nothing gets more posts than

: a Brit asking a British question. Americans can't resist to post their
: opinions. Go ahead. Try it again. Post a survey, like, what's your favorite
: British dish and see what happens.

: Serianna
:
Their breakfasts are to die for ... if they don't kill you :-0

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:

:
: I think it was personal for ''Sheldon'' maybe he hates Brits!!!
:
He "hates" everyone! I think it is a lack of something personal
and important to him.

Steve Martin

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1000321155336.22400A-
100...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,

"Robert W. Keereweer" <ch...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:
>
> :
> : I think it was personal for ''Sheldon'' maybe he hates Brits!!!
> :
> He "hates" everyone! I think it is a lack of something personal
> and important to him.
>
> Rob.

He hates inaccuracy.
We are his flock and he won't let us go astray.

Anyway, Britain today has some of the world's finest chefs.

Albert and Michel Roux
Pierre Kaufman
Nico Ladenis
Raymond Blanc
Bruno Loubet
Jean Christophe Novelli
Germaine Shwarb
Antonio Carluccio
Marco Pierre White
Simon Gueller

Seriously though, the last two are actually British - as are

Alistair Little (the godfather of Modern British eclectic cooking)
Gordon Ramsey
Anthony Whorral Thompson
John Burton Race
Brian Turner
Rick Stein
Gary Rhodes
Nick Nairn

After a dreadful period in the culinary doldrums, it has become very
easy to eat superbly in Britain. Our old epicurean traditions are
being revived and we no longer judge a restaurant entirely on how hot
the plates are. :o)

Steve Martin.
--
Everything is a question of temperature in the kitchen:
cuisine is a science, not an art

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

PENMART10

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
In article <38D7B6B7...@worldnet.att.net>, Alan Zelt
<alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

>Christine Ashby wrote:
>>
>> Ed Ngai <enga...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
>> > What about Grahm Kerr. When I was growing up I always watched
>> > him on tv in the US. I actually saw him about 2 or 3 years ago
>> > at a cooking pavillion thing, along w/ Yang - funny chines cook,
>> > and some others. Kerr's a funny guy in person.
>>
>> Only trouble is, he's a Kiwi...
>>
>> Christine
>> (Who has an English MIL, lovely woman but a dreadful cook who confirms all
>> the stereotypes about pommy cooking!)
>
>I thought he was born a Brit. Can that be undone?
>--
>alan

Being born or being a Brit?

Altering one's citizenship is quite a common occurance.

So is altering being born... it's called dying... beginning the moment one's
born.

SportKite1

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00
>Subject: Re: British Cooking
>From: Madge madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid
>Date: 3/21/2000 11:25 AM Pacific Standard Time

>1 Scotland =Haggis with a good whiskey sauce
>
>2 Somerset = With its thick velvety clotted cream
>
>3 Wales = Spring Lamb roasted to perfection, crispy on the
>outside and pink in the middle.

I've not traveled to Britain but those three dishes seem to be as about as
cliche as they come. Please tell me that there is a wee bit more variety and
imagination in the Isles than those three tired old saws.

Ellen

A Ferszt

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

While Jacques Pepin may be a naturalised US citizen, he's
hardly an American cook.

A Ferszt

Mar 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/21/00

Well...there's pie and mash, jellied eels, saveloy (and
pease pudding), Sussex pond pudding, Huntingdon fidget pie,
spotted dick, Melton Mowbray pork pie, Lancashire hot pot,
the Ulster fry, starry-gazey pie, potted shrimps, Welsh cwl
(or cawl), gentlemen's relish, Athol brose, Brown Windsor
soup (although this may be a mythical dish), Glamorgan
sausages, black pudding, bara brith, Arbroath smokies etc
etc etc.

Ward Stewart

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:59:02 GMT, aem
<aemNOS...@worldnet.att.net.invalid> wrote:

>Madge wrote:
>>
>> YOu have mentioned Elizabeth David, how about our Amreican
>> friends naming a famous American cook?
>> I would love to know about them......
>>
>James Beard would be a great one to start with. Try his "American Cookery" if
>you are interested in some culinary history and some good basic food. Try a
>web search using his name and words like "mentor" and "teacher" and
>"original." (I haven't done that, but it ought to yield interesting results.)

This is silly --

Just off the top of my head --

Dione Lucas
Craig Claiborne
Alan Wong
Julia Child
Three Generations of Rombauers
Rose Beranbaum

One could go on for an hour!

ward

"We must be getting back to Alice. If I am
away from her long, I get low in my mind."
Gertrude Stein

Ward Stewart

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 01:02:01 -0600 (CST), mste...@webtv.net (Michael
Steinel) wrote:

>I'm not going to quote the whole thread, but Derek el...@hurricane.net
>argues that Southwest and Pacific Northwest "cuisines" (contrasted with
>Southern and New England) are not "food eaten by real people in daily
>life, but rather are trends created and maintained by the foodie media."
>Don't know about the Northwest, but in the Southwest, for a long time, a
>lot of real people, Anglo and Hispanic, have been eating enchiladas,
>tamales, carne adovada, cabrito, frijoles, huevos rancheros, chilè con
>carne, chilès relleño and so on. It's home cooking, truck stop food
>and Main Street cafe food.
>Of course there are trendy, expensive restaurants in Santa Fè, Dallas
>and elsewhere where chefs (mostly from California, I think) dream up
>"new" Southwest recipes with lots of jicama and goat cheese. The foodie
>media love them.
>
>Mike

Tex-Mex is often referred to with scorn by the devotees of trendy
food. They are, quite simply, wrong. It is perfectly adapted to its
audience and is exactly what it says it is. Mexican cooking as
prepared in Texas (or the other border states) is hearty and often
delicious food. Chef Effete might well learn a trick of two from
'mamaluschens' as prepared by real mamas and eaten by real people.

Ward Stewart

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 23:35:47 -0600 (CST), mste...@webtv.net (Michael
Steinel) wrote:

>Madge madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid wrote:
>
>  > I am so sorry , but I am getting used to
>>being insulted by everyone on here right
>>now.......... that this is my last message....

> >   I dont think there seems to be room for
>>a British female who has an opinion.
>
>Come back Madge, share your "old fashioned recipes" and educate a few of
>us Yanks. Everybody gets insulted on rfc, it's nothing personal.

Besides which -- no one here has suggested that the Two Fat Ladies
were sloppin' hogs!

Leonard Lehew

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Madge,

I've been to London a few times. My business usually takes me to
Newbury, about 60 miles west.

I vacationed in the UK last year and spent most of my time in Wales
and Devon. The most memorable places for food were.

The Lion in Berriew (middle Wales) - traditional pub food very well
prepared.

Three Main Street in Fishguard (southwest Wales) - just great food.
One of the owners is a fine chef.

Rock Inn in Haytor Vale (Devon, near Dartmoor). Kind of a remote
location, but very comfortable accomodations and wonderful food. It
looks like a pub, but the food is not traditional pub food. I remember
some wonderful seafood there.

Cheers,

Leonard

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:25:44 -0800, Madge
<madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Welcome to Britain Leonard!!!
>
>Your right about what you say in your message, you can get
>really great food here, and really bad.....the same I guess all
>over the world.
> I am curious as to where you stay in Britain when your here.
>If your talking about London then food can vary dramaticaly!
>
>But if your visiting the different regions and counties then
>there is glorious food to be had
>

>1 Scotland =Haggis with a good whiskey sauce
>
>2 Somerset = With its thick velvety clotted cream
>
>3 Wales = Spring Lamb roasted to perfection, crispy on the
>outside and pink in the middle.

Christine Ashby

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

PENMART10 <penm...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <38D7B6B7...@worldnet.att.net>, Alan Zelt
> <alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> writes:
>
> >Christine Ashby wrote:
> >>
> >> Ed Ngai <enga...@sprintmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Only trouble is, he's a Kiwi...
> >>
> >> Christine
> >> (Who has an English MIL, lovely woman but a dreadful cook who confirms
all
> >> the stereotypes about pommy cooking!)
> >
> >I thought he was born a Brit. Can that be undone?
> >--
> >alan
>
> Being born or being a Brit?
>
> Altering one's citizenship is quite a common occurance.
>
> So is altering being born... it's called dying... beginning the moment
one's
> born.

We knew him as a Kiwi when he was on TV here (he was always drinking the
cooking sherry, as I recall). When he moved to the UK they thought he was an
Aussie and now the Americans think he's British.

Perhaps he's a moveable feast!

Christine

Derek Lyons

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
mste...@webtv.net (Michael Steinel) wrote:
>I'm not going to quote the whole thread, but Derek el...@hurricane.net
>argues that Southwest and Pacific Northwest "cuisines" (contrasted with
>Southern and New England) are not "food eaten by real people in daily
>life, but rather are trends created and maintained by the foodie media."
>Don't know about the Northwest, but in the Southwest, for a long time, a
>lot of real people, Anglo and Hispanic, have been eating enchiladas,
>tamales, carne adovada, cabrito, frijoles, huevos rancheros, chilè con
>carne, chilès relleño and so on. It's home cooking, truck stop food
>and Main Street cafe food.
>Of course there are trendy, expensive restaurants in Santa Fè, Dallas
>and elsewhere where chefs (mostly from California, I think) dream up
>"new" Southwest recipes with lots of jicama and goat cheese. The foodie
>media love them.

It was not till after I posted that I realized the same thing. Mea
Culpa.

D.

Derek Lyons

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Alan Zelt <alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Derek Lyons wrote:
>
>> >I'll put in a recommendation for the Southwest and the Pacific
>> >Northwest as well. There are regional variations in the US just as
>> >there are in France, Italy, China, etc.
>> >
>> >David
>>

>> I deliberately omitted those two, as they are not cuisines, (I.E. food
>> eaten by real people in daily life), but rather are trends created and

>> maintained by the foodie media.
>>

>> D.
>
>I am not sure why you choose to leave out these two areas. I guess it is
>just a case of plain old ignorance; which also means that the rest of
>your conclusions are plain wrong,too.

Ok, define Northwest Cuisine. What cultural influences shaped it?
What native traditions affect it? What defines it as different?

Rather than simply being insulting, why not add to the discussion?

Derek Lyons

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
david wright <dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:44:33 GMT, Alan Zelt

><alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>>> I deliberately omitted those two, as they are not cuisines, (I.E. food
>>> eaten by real people in daily life), but rather are trends created and
>>> maintained by the foodie media.
>>>
>>> D.
>>
>>I am not sure why you choose to leave out these two areas. I guess it is
>>just a case of plain old ignorance; which also means that the rest of
>>your conclusions are plain wrong,too.
>

>I agree, Alan. The distinctive and traditional foods of the SW and the
>Pacific NW were being eaten *long* before there was a "foodie media."
>
>Derek, you're showing your ignorance and/or prejudice. Have you ever
>lived in either region? (I've lived in both.)

I've already Mea Culpa'd on the SW. I confused the traditional foods
with the modern urban trends.

As for the NW, I live there currently. And beyond a very few dishes,
there is no 'traditional foods' in the same sense that exists in New
England or Southern cooking. I've talked extensively with people
who've lived here all their lives (and spring from several generations
here), and the traditional dishes of their families are still
generally that of their families origin.

Lacking either a distinctive parent cuisine (as in the SW), or a long
tradition (as in New England or the South), NW cuisine was stillborn.
There is little or no reliance on local products (IE products not
generally found or consumed in other regions. Nor is there a cultural
tradition that really sets the region apart. (It was settled far too
late). (This refers of course to the Anglo's, the native's certainly
did exhibit all these characteristics.)

That being said, I'm willing to be enlightened! I may start out
wrong, but am willing to discuss.

Derek Lyons

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
aem <aemNOS...@worldnet.att.net.invalid> wrote:

>Madge wrote:
>>
>> YOu have mentioned Elizabeth David, how about our Amreican
>> friends naming a famous American cook?
>> I would love to know about them......
>>
>James Beard would be a great one to start with. Try his "American Cookery" if
>you are interested in some culinary history and some good basic food. Try a
>web search using his name and words like "mentor" and "teacher" and
>"original." (I haven't done that, but it ought to yield interesting results.)

Hmmm.... It does.

Derek Lyons

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
wste...@hawaii.rr.com (Ward Stewart) wrote:
>One could go on for an hour!

Nobody has mentined...

Alice Waters
Richard Olney

D.

Miche

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In article <8b8qu5$v1n$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, Steve Martin
<sma...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.1000321155336.22400A-
> 100...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,
> "Robert W. Keereweer" <ch...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Madge wrote:
> >
> > :
> > : I think it was personal for ''Sheldon'' maybe he hates Brits!!!
> > :
> > He "hates" everyone! I think it is a lack of something personal
> > and important to him.
> >
> > Rob.
>
> He hates inaccuracy.
> We are his flock and he won't let us go astray.
>
> Anyway, Britain today has some of the world's finest chefs.
>
> Albert and Michel Roux
> Pierre Kaufman
> Nico Ladenis
> Raymond Blanc
> Bruno Loubet
> Jean Christophe Novelli
> Germaine Shwarb
> Antonio Carluccio
> Marco Pierre White
> Simon Gueller

Peter Gordon.

Miche

Miche

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In article <W4WB4.53873$3b6.2...@ozemail.com.au>, "Christine Ashby"
<cma...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> We knew him as a Kiwi when he was on TV here (he was always drinking the
> cooking sherry, as I recall). When he moved to the UK they thought he was an
> Aussie and now the Americans think he's British.
>

> Perhaps he's a moveable feast!

Graham Kerr was born in Britain but rose to fame while living and working
in New Zealand. His first wife, Gwen Kerr, is a well-known cooking
teacher living in Christchurch.

Graham now lives and works in the United States.

Miche

PENMART10

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In article <miche-22030...@dialup100.albatross.co.nz>,
mi...@technologist.com (Miche) writes:

>> > : I think it was personal for ''Sheldon'' maybe he hates Brits!!!
>> > :
>> > He "hates" everyone! I think it is a lack of something personal
>> > and important to him.
>> >
>> > Rob.
>>
>> He hates inaccuracy.
>> We are his flock and he won't let us go astray.

Actually I have no more disdain for inaccuracy than any other posters. I don't
think I exhibit any more propensity to jump in and correct erroneous statements
than anyone else. It's the bluffing and out-and-out lying that I have no
particular appreciation for, especially the compound and patent liars.

Alan Zelt

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
> We knew him as a Kiwi when he was on TV here (he was always drinking the
> cooking sherry, as I recall). When he moved to the UK they thought he was an
> Aussie and now the Americans think he's British.
>
> Perhaps he's a moveable feast!
>
> Christine

Guess you didn't read my comment that he is a Brit. (see above)
--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the
people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Alan Zelt

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Miche wrote:

> In article <W4WB4.53873$3b6.2...@ozemail.com.au>, "Christine Ashby"
> <cma...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > We knew him as a Kiwi when he was on TV here (he was always drinking the
> > cooking sherry, as I recall). When he moved to the UK they thought he was an
> > Aussie and now the Americans think he's British.
> >
> > Perhaps he's a moveable feast!
>
> Graham Kerr was born in Britain but rose to fame while living and working
> in New Zealand. His first wife, Gwen Kerr, is a well-known cooking
> teacher living in Christchurch.
>
> Graham now lives and works in the United States.
>
> Miche

I went to one of his tapings while he was working out of the studios in
Seattle. Made me nervous as hell. Wish he was still drinking.(leastwise,
less preachy and more fun to watch.)

Alan Zelt

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00

Good thing you feel that way. Can we talk? NW cuisine is based upon NW
foods. That is the first step towards recognizing the cuisine.
Ellensburg lamb. Very local and very good. NW wines are pretty damn good
too. Seafood. Name your poisson. Salmon, halibut, cod, tuna. Spot
prawns, clams(razor and Geoduck). More variety of oysters than anywhere
else in the world. A pretty good supply of crabs. Great source for
mushrooms. The Yakima valley for fruit and veggies. Asparagus season
about to start shortly. So, no reliance on local products? What did I
forget? Strawberries, raspberries and every other kind of berry.

Now, as for the style. Two steps. Sometimes taken separately or
together. We don't sauce the crap out of the food. Let the taste come
through. Second, being a large Asian population center, we can find the
Asian fusion. Local ingredients with an Asian flair. Since you live
here, think Flying Fish and Wild Ginger. French with the local flair,
think Rovers.

A nationwide trend evolved with the actions of local restauranteurs.
They pay fisherman extra to get line caught fish, not net caught.

NW food is the culmination of chefs moving here from all over the
country and the world. They imparted their traditions, based upon local
freshness. Their "offspring" are 20 something chefs, vital in their
adherence to the very best in ingredients. You can keep the famous
Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station. I'll take Elliots on the waterfront
in Seattle. I have lived all over the country, travel the world, and
have lived in Seattle for the past 20+ years. We are recognizable. In a
way, I guess I have also described Northern California as well.

Alan Zelt

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Derek Lyons wrote:

> Alan Zelt <alzelt...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> >> I deliberately omitted those two, as they are not cuisines, (I.E. food
> >> eaten by real people in daily life), but rather are trends created and
> >> maintained by the foodie media.
> >>
> >> D.
> >
> >I am not sure why you choose to leave out these two areas. I guess it is
> >just a case of plain old ignorance; which also means that the rest of
> >your conclusions are plain wrong,too.
>
> Ok, define Northwest Cuisine. What cultural influences shaped it?
> What native traditions affect it? What defines it as different?
>
> Rather than simply being insulting, why not add to the discussion?
>
> D.
> --

I was merely taking up your challenge. Your lack of thought makes me
wonder if you really know much about where you live.

Iain G Liddell

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In the midst of this spat, which increasingly reminds one of the sublime
Wodehouse's "aunt calling to aunt, like mastodons across the primeval swamp",
the following equivalence was claimed (by the principal combatant in this
discussion)

>>1 Scotland =Haggis with a good whiskey sauce

I can think of three things wrong with this.

Firstly, although haggis is a perfectly good and respectable example of
the peasant branch of Scotland's culinary heritage (and I write as one
who, in the past month, has prepared this dish in Plzen), it is sheer
falsehood to suggest that haggis is the alpha and omega (or should that
be "the Rangers and Albion Rovers"?) of Scottish cooking.

Secondly, a true adherence to Scottish tradition would not use Irish
whiskey, but whisky from Scotland itself (spelling matters where
ambiguity lies in wait).

Thirdly, the idea of a sauce is a source of puzzlement, and is a prime
example of the specious gentrification excoriated by Robert Burns in his
celebrated and celebratory ode.

Another correspondent (Ellen) comments:

>I've not traveled to Britain but those three dishes seem to be as about as
>cliche as they come. Please tell me that there is a wee bit more variety and
>imagination in the Isles than those three tired old saws.

Indeed, there is - the variety is boundless. As one might expect, other
areas of the United Kingdom sometimes lag behind the capital, but London
is by no means the only haunt of good cooking: all over the country,
there are many examples of good practice - in all price bands. To take
some examples:

Hugh Anderson provides food of consistent high quality at his Traquair
Arms in Innerleithen, a Tweed Valley village about 60km south of
Edinburgh. He offers classics and evolves new turns on "good things".

Graythwaite Manor, on the fringe of the Cumbrian Lake District at
Grange-over-Sands, may look like a parody of the 1930s, a more rural
version of the hotel of Gordon's humiliation in "Keep the Aspidistra
Flying", but there is sensitive work afoot in the kitchens.

Melton's in York (just extra-muros near Micklegate Bar) is always
being invited to the pages of Saturday newspaper reviewers, but in
this instance, deservedly so. On each occasion, I have been presented
with a menu which offers really difficult choices at every turn.

Out to the southwest of Devizes, in deepest Wiltshire, the Owl at
Little Cheverall serves simple food and local beer in fine style.

By taking "a short walk from Harrod's" in one of several directions,
you may find good eating at prices which have the decimal point in
various locations.

Another correspondent opined that pub food ranged from the basic to (I am
probably misquoting from memory) "at its best, good comfort food". I
should venture that this underestimates the range to be found in pubs
these days. There are ever fewer opportunities for pubs to prosper without
offering a range of good fresh food, and even some of the larger players
in the industry are surprising many sceptics (the Swan and Bottle in
Uxbridge would surprise many who might be put off by the "Chef and
Brewer" logo).

Of course, there is a multiplicity of eateries claiming adherence to (or
evolution from) every culinary tradition from Accra to Zutphen, as well
as those of these shores, and we are lucky (doubly so in a place such as
London) to be able to compare and contrast so many ways of ingesting
potential energy.

Equally, there are the places which do not act as good ambassadors - the
places which infantilise, impoverish or impersonate real cooking. You
will find them in London, in towns up and down the land, in places which
should know better. In fact, you will find these swings and roundabouts
wherever you travel. Last year, a gem of a lunch in Indiana PA was
followed by a grim dinner near Genesee Falls NY which rivalled the dullest
experiences of Eastern Europe. Paris has provided us with the sublime and
the ridiculous in the space of a few hours.

In Britain, as elsewhere, caveat emptor. Look at the place (whether it's
a chrome-and-cream Nico-drome, a family pizza-and-pasta house or a
flint-cottage pub), size up its look and feel, its signage, menus, staff
and customers. Ask not "Are they upmarket/trendy/traditional?" but rather
"Do they care?". If the balance of probability on the latter test is
positive, then the place is probably worth the risk.

I realise that I have concentrated on "eating out", but the same points
apply to home cooking. There are many kitchens in this country where
external influences are unknown and positively resisted; others where the
concept of care for quality is as distant as the Crab Nebula. There are
the slaves to fashion and advertising, the perennial seekers after new
experiences. And there are those who seek to follow the principles of
people like the aforementioned Hugh Anderson, respecting and evolving
traditions.

We are increasingly well-served (at least in most areas of the country) by
good providers of fresh foodstuffs. I am fortunate enough to be able to
count on consistently good meat, fish, bread and vegetables from local
suppliers, but the supermarkets (yes, despite all the wailings of those
who have found a fashionable enemy in these companies) have incalculably
better offerings throughout the land than the fare that was generally
available twenty years ago, and there is simply no comparison between
Dave and Rob, our Denham butchers, and the shambles perpetrated on the
people of the East Kilbride of my childhood.

Iain

Ward Stewart

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:45:38 -0800, Leonard Lehew
<leonard.le...@merant.com.invalid> wrote:

>As an American who travels frequently to England, I think the
>state of food and cooking in England is pretty good and getting
>better. I have had some outstanding meals in England including
>some at surprising places.
>
>A few random observations and impressions...
>
>- The "full cooked breakfast" is wonderful (and probably fatal
>if eaten every day). English bacon is particularly good, but
>American sausage is better.

Do they still serve the dread "banger?" All starchy and nasty?

I last ate an english breakfast perhaps thirty-five years ago and
remember it with great fondness -- my gall bladder remembers it too.
Scrambled eggs, Bacon, grilled kidneys, porridge, terrible coffee,
fried potatoes toast --

It exemplified what we call in New england, "a rude plenty."

ward
"Never try to live up to the Joneses -- its cheaper
to drag then down to your level.
Quentin Crisp

Ward Stewart

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:25:44 -0800, Madge
<madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>Welcome to Britain Leonard!!!
>
>Your right about what you say in your message, you can get
>really great food here, and really bad.....the same I guess all
>over the world.
> I am curious as to where you stay in Britain when your here.
>If your talking about London then food can vary dramaticaly!
>
>But if your visiting the different regions and counties then
>there is glorious food to be had
>

>1 Scotland =Haggis with a good whiskey sauce
>

>2 Somerset = With its thick velvety clotted cream
>
>3 Wales = Spring Lamb roasted to perfection, crispy on the
>outside and pink in the middle.
>
>There are many many more.....
>
>Wonder if anyone else can think of regional dishes they loved
>when visiting our isles.

I have vivid memories from back in the late forties of something
called a "pork pie." It was a solid little item and would spoil your
appetite for hours and hours. Perhaps these little belly burners have
been improved latterly by the addition of meat as well as lard?

ward

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
"Love, like a mountain-wind upon an oak,
Falling upon me, shakes me leaf and bough."
Sappho of Lesbos
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Harold Watkins

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
I have been to the UK a few times and the lamb that I had there was
SUPERB.

Miche

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In article <38f184fd.53035117@news-server>, wste...@hawaii.rr.com (Ward
Stewart) wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:45:38 -0800, Leonard Lehew
> <leonard.le...@merant.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> >As an American who travels frequently to England, I think the
> >state of food and cooking in England is pretty good and getting
> >better. I have had some outstanding meals in England including
> >some at surprising places.
> >
> >A few random observations and impressions...
> >
> >- The "full cooked breakfast" is wonderful (and probably fatal
> >if eaten every day). English bacon is particularly good, but
> >American sausage is better.
>
> Do they still serve the dread "banger?" All starchy and nasty?

Hence the wartime saying "Britain will never be short of bread while it
still has sausages."

I hope things have improved.

Miche

Leonard Lehew

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Being from the southeastern US, we think we know a bit about sausage.
To me, the sausage is the weakest link (sorry) in the full cooked
breakfast. American sausage is more coarsely ground and spicier.

Cheers,

Leonard
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:53:23 +1200, mi...@technologist.com (Miche)

fish4

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Madge

All right there, love, apples and pears, my old man's a dustman
etc etc.

No, you're not the only Brit who follows this group. I'm not
really a contributor, but do enjoy reading all of the
discussions that go on. Some slightly more than others, it has
to be said. I'm not that much use for recipes though, I'm
afraid; I just tend to make things up as I go along. (Jamie
Oliver is my hero, obviously)(although Peter Gordon is well up
there as well).

hang in there girl, and keep waving the union jack for all of us
over here!

Lori Schutz

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Madge, I'm not British but would like your version of , i believe, it's
bubble and squeak...
I am aware of it simply from "two fat ladies"
cooking show on the food network . Tally Ho!

Maureen Scobie

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Iain G Liddell wrote:
Paris has provided us with the sublime and
> the ridiculous in the space of a few hours.

Iain, would you be willing to write as informative a message on this
subject as you have done for British cooking?
If all goes well, we shall be in Paris about three weeks from now.
Architecture books have been my focus recently so I've neglected the
restaurant recommendations.
Out of sheer nostalgia I will drink my grand creme at the Cafe Bonaparte
and eat roast chicken at Balthazar's.
Where, in Paris, have you eaten your most memorable meals?

cheers,
Maureen

david wright

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:13:56 -0700, A Ferszt <a.fe...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

>david wright wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:59:02 GMT, aem
>> <aemNOS...@worldnet.att.net.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, and Diana Kennedy are fairly well-known
>> U.S. citizens who cook.
>>
>> David
>
>While Jacques Pepin may be a naturalised US citizen, he's
>hardly an American cook.

I wrote that somewhat tongue in cheek (my tongue, not the kind you get
at the deli) because all three are US citizens, but are best known for
their expertise in the foods of other countries.

Jacques does publish "American" dishes, but he gets a few points off
from me for using kidney beans and tomatoes in his recipe for chili
con carne. :-)

I do have one cookbook that would fit the bill, except for the
"famous" part: "New Native American Cooking" by Dale Carson. She
writes of her Abenaki heritage.

David

Laura Herrick

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Thank you alan for helping to settle the record. NW has all the basic
ingredients to do the very finest cooking! The seafood and fishes are
the cleanest in the world, and you forgot to mention the one and only
Walla Walla onion. Where would you all be without the Northern
California artichokes, tomatoes, and garlic? Only the best.

Madge

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Thank you for your comments. I will do what I can!!!

And yes your right Jamie Oliver is a joy to watch ...... he
makes us all enthusiastic....

Someone did list a few of the USA famous chefs, but the only
one I have heard of was Julia Childs.

I found her fascinating........ I loved the way she would read
her prompting cards for her recipies, then sling them over her
shoulders when she was done!!

Such a wonderful lady!

Thank you for your kind comments..

Regards

Madge
In article <068c2e5e...@usw-ex0103-018.remarq.com>, fish4

Madge

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In article <38f28688.53429917@news-server>,

wste...@hawaii.rr.com (Ward Stewart) wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:25:44 -0800, Madge
><madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

Yes we still do have pork pies, only now we have ''cordon bleu''
with all sorts of different fillings.

The best ones and the ones that are most traditional, I have to
say are Melton Mowbery ones. There the best ingredients.

For those who dont know a Pork Pie is a raised pie made from
Hot Water Crust. and is filled with minced pork and spices, and
is cooked for long time.

When it is cool , good meat stock is poured through a hole in
the top , and when the pie gets cold this sets to a jelly.

A good one is delicious!

Regards

Madge

PS they must have a million calories in them....!!!

>I have vivid memories from back in the late forties of something
>called a "pork pie." It was a solid little item and would
spoil your
>appetite for hours and hours. Perhaps these little belly
burners have
>been improved latterly by the addition of meat as well as lard?
>
>ward
>

>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
>"Love, like a mountain-wind upon an oak,
>Falling upon me, shakes me leaf and bough."
> Sappho of Lesbos
>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

Madge

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
I agree with all you say .. I was giving simple examples just
to get the ball rolling!!!

Regards Madge

Madge

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
In article <20000322021207...@nso-cp.aol.com>,

penm...@aol.com (PENMART10) wrote:

Brits!!!

>Actually I have no more disdain for inaccuracy than any other
posters. I don't
>think I exhibit any more propensity to jump in and correct
erroneous statements
>than anyone else. It's the bluffing and out-and-out lying that
I have no
>particular appreciation for, especially the compound and patent
liars.

>Sheldon

You poor thing Sheldon........ do you think people lie to you ?

Isn't that the first stages of something very frightening?

Madge

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Sorry I have to say that Ihave only heard of Julia Childs, who
was brilliant!!!

>>Madge wrote:
>>>
>>> YOu have mentioned Elizabeth David, how about our Amreican
>>> friends naming a famous American cook?
>>> I would love to know about them......
>>>
>>James Beard would be a great one to start with. Try
his "American Cookery" if
>>you are interested in some culinary history and some good
basic food. Try a
>>web search using his name and words like "mentor"
and "teacher" and
>>"original." (I haven't done that, but it ought to yield
interesting results.)

>This is silly --
>
>Just off the top of my head --
>
>Dione Lucas
>Craig Claiborne
>Alan Wong
>Julia Child
>Three Generations of Rombauers
>Rose Beranbaum

>One could go on for an hour!
>
>ward

>"We must be getting back to Alice. If I am
>away from her long, I get low in my mind."
> Gertrude Stein

Madge

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Sorry Ellen they are very cliche, I was just gettting the ball
rolling!!!

Regards

Madge
In article <20000321174148...@ng-xe1.aol.com>,
sport...@aol.com (SportKite1) wrote:
>>Subject: Re: British Cooking
>>From: Madge madgeN...@zoom.co.uk.invalid
>>Date: 3/21/2000 11:25 AM Pacific Standard Time

>>1 Scotland =Haggis with a good whiskey sauce
>>

>>2 Somerset = With its thick velvety clotted cream
>>
>>3 Wales = Spring Lamb roasted to perfection, crispy on the
>>outside and pink in the middle.
>

>I've not traveled to Britain but those three dishes seem to be
as about as
>cliche as they come. Please tell me that there is a wee bit
more variety and
>imagination in the Isles than those three tired old saws.
>

>Ellen

Marilyn Warren

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
I think you do a disservice to a lot of British cooking when you compare
it to 40's cooking. As I recall, growing up in Michigan during the 40's
and 50's, everything was boiled to death. Most kids did not like
veggies because they were a uniform grey-green color and tasted like
wallpaper paste. It was not just English cooking.

Every state has it's own special foods. They are an amalgam of every
nationality in that state. Sure, some of it is terrible, but I like a
burger and fries once in a while, just like I like to eat fish and chips
out of a newspaper cone once in a while.

Give me a good Yorkshire Pud any day!

Marilyn Warren

Marilyn Warren

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Don't go Madge. Tell them to stuff it up their toffy noses. I like
your information. Just because some are rude does not mean we all are.

Marilyn Warren

Alistair Gale

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:40:20 GMT, Ward Stewart wrote:

>I have vivid memories from back in the late forties of something
>called a "pork pie." It was a solid little item and would spoil your
>appetite for hours and hours. Perhaps these little belly burners have
>been improved latterly by the addition of meat as well as lard?
>
>ward

UK Pork pies are filled with the same substance that bubbles out
of an injured Dalek, which (the subst.) has then been cooled
and encased in greasy pastry. (And please ignore the mysterious
"bouncy" bits when eating, all will be revealed in the fullness of time).

I suppose the US equivalent in terms of GI distress would be
the White Castle Belly bomb mini burgers.

--
alistair

Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in the dictionary?

Maureen Scobie

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Alan Zelt wrote:

> I think memorable meals in Paris go hand in hand with memorable
> companions. And in that case, a ham and cheese on baguette, with a
> bottle of water on a bench overlooking the Seine on the Ile St. Louis
> tops any restaurant in Paris.
> --
> alan

As luck will have it, the Memorable Companion will be with me. I can
always persuade him to eat a Pelletier's lemon tart on a park bench. It
is slighter harder to persuade him to arise at 5 a.m. to walk in the
city watching it wake up. Coffee and croissants, then.
One of the Companion's poems includes an appreciation of Robert
Cointepas and his wine selections, cheeses, and hams at the Taverne
Henri IV at the Pont Neuf.

salut,
Maureen

Young

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
SportKite1 wrote:

> Chili con Carne roughly translates to Meat with Chili's....no mention of beans.
>
> Ellen

Wouldn't that be chilis with meat?

(smile) nancy

Robert W. Keereweer

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
From: ce...@webtv.net (charles williams)
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 19:09:53 -0700 (MST)
To: ch...@chebucto.ns.ca (Robert W. Keereweer)
Subject: Re: British Cooking

Still haven't learned how to spell YANKEE yet eh? How many other wars
do we have to bail you out of, you limey piece of shit?

<Scratching my head>

Somebody want to clue this webTV'er in.

Rob.
...To prepare and serve.
Cyber Chef Cookbook
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~chef

Anita

Mar 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/22/00
Madge
Dont stop writing You did liven up this board. I like you. They probably
cant cook anyway, just trying to get a rise out of somebody. Keep
writing.
No one mentioned MIdwest cooking. some of the best come from here. Not
chefs just real good cooks
Anita

Miche

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
<chriswidge...@yahoo.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> (Jamie Oliver is my hero, obviously)(although Peter Gordon is well up
> there as well).

Peter Gordon's a Kiwi. :)

Miche

Ward Stewart

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:24:11 -0600, david wright
<dtwr...@badstuffswbell.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:13:56 -0700, A Ferszt <a.fe...@ic.ac.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>david wright wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:59:02 GMT, aem
>>> <aemNOS...@worldnet.att.net.invalid> wrote:
>>>
>>> Julia Child, Jacques Pepin, and Diana Kennedy are fairly well-known
>>> U.S. citizens who cook.
>>>
>>> David
>>
>>While Jacques Pepin may be a naturalised US citizen, he's
>>hardly an American cook.
>
>I wrote that somewhat tongue in cheek (my tongue, not the kind you get
>at the deli) because all three are US citizens, but are best known for
>their expertise in the foods of other countries.
>
>Jacques does publish "American" dishes, but he gets a few points off
>from me for using kidney beans and tomatoes in his recipe for chili
>con carne. :-)

Jesuitical piffle, smiley and all. Chili is delicious made entirely
with meat and no beans -- chili is also delicious made with beans and
no meat..

Taking so rigid a stand on such a question is like the quasi-religious
fervor that seizes folks when they mix gin and vermouth.

ward

>I do have one cookbook that would fit the bill, except for the
>"famous" part: "New Native American Cooking" by Dale Carson. She
>writes of her Abenaki heritage.
>
>David

Orohippus, Mesohippus, Miohippus, Protohippus,
Pliohippus, Equus. Evolution is just a theory.
So is gravity.*

SportKite1

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
>Subject: Re: British Cooking
>From: wste...@hawaii.rr.com (Ward Stewart)
>Date: 3/22/2000 04:11 PM Pacific Standard Time

david wright types:

>>Jacques does publish "American" dishes, but he gets a few points off
>>from me for using kidney beans and tomatoes in his recipe for chili
>>con carne. :-)

Ward types:

>Jesuitical piffle, smiley and all. Chili is delicious made entirely
>with meat and no beans -- chili is also delicious made with beans and
>no meat..

Chili con Carne roughly translates to Meat with Chili's....no mention of beans.

Ellen

Alan Zelt

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00

Well, although I am a dyed in the wool Northwesterner, I will admit that
I believe that the Vidalia Onion has us beat. Gilroy for garlic and CA
for chokes. Tomatoes!!! Wait for the summer and have the beefsteak
tomatoes from Yakima. Come to think of it, a great summer dinner up here
consists of thinly sliced beefsteak tomatoes, Walla Walla Sweets, thin
sliced mozzerella, ev olive oil infused with garlic, torn basil, and a
few turns of freshly ground pepper. Well, I suppose it can be improved
by serving it with one of my baguettes.
--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the
people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

Alan Zelt

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Ward Stewart wrote:
> Jesuitical piffle, smiley and all. Chili is delicious made entirely
> with meat and no beans -- chili is also delicious made with beans and
> no meat..
>
> Taking so rigid a stand on such a question is like the quasi-religious
> fervor that seizes folks when they mix gin and vermouth.
>
> ward

If you cannot take a stand on issues of such importance, just where do
you stand? :)

It is loading more messages.