Cooking for 1

Bob Y.

Jul 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/19/98
Steak with Mustard Sauce

1 Tbsp Butter or margarine
1 Tbsp chopped green pepper
1 Tbsp chopped onion
1½ Tbsp Dijon mustard
¼ cup beef stock
2 Tbsp cooking oil
1 cube steak, 4 to 6 oz.

Melt butter in small saucepan. Add peppers and onion and stir over medium heat 3
minutes. Stir in mustard and stock and cook over medium heat, stirring often,
until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.

Heat oil in a small, heavy skillet over medium-high heat and fry steak about 2
minutes a side. Add sauce and turn steak over in the sauce, then put it on a hot
serving plate and pour the sauce over it.

d(:)
Bob Y.

TV: a weapon of mass distraction.
— Heard on CNN

Bob Y.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
I was complaining one day about having to use an egg every time I wanted to make
one, small chicken fried steak. It seemed like a waste to get just the one dip
out of the egg wash. A friend, Emmy Josey, suggested I use buttermilk in place
of the egg wash. She said it would work better and taste better. She was
right. It also works for fried chicken. The down side is that I have to go out
and buy a quart of buttermilk if I want to do it this way. <g>

Chicken Fried Steak

1 4 to 6 oz cube steak or round steak, cut ½ to ¼-inch thick
Flour for dredging
Buttermilk
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil for frying
Gravy:
½ Tbsp all-purpose flour
½ cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.

Sprinkle the meat with the garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to
taste. Dredge the meat in the flour. If not using cube steak, pound the flour
and seasonings into the meat with a meat hammer or the edge of a saucer.

Pour a little buttermilk in a shallow dish. Dip meat into butter milk and let
drain a bit. Dredge in flour again. Pour oil into hot skillet (about ¼-inch
deep is good, but if you are watching your fat intake, use less). Brown meat on
both sides. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove cover,
turn steak and cook for another 10 minutes. Drain on paper towels.

Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add flour and stir to make a roux,
scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. When the flour has cooked
for a couple of minutes, add the milk, salt, and pepper, and stir to incorporate
the roux. When the gravy is thickened to your taste, put steak on plate and
pour gravy over it.

Mashed potatoes are a common accompaniment and the gravy goes well on them too.

Variations:

Beat one egg with 1 Tbsp of milk and use in place of the buttermilk.
Use saltine cracker or corn flake crumbs for the second dredging.
Deep fry instead of pan frying.

Please let me know if this showed up correctly formatted, i.e. fractions were
fractions rather than control characters. One program says it okay and another
says it's not.

Bob Y.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
When I was growing up, the potatoes that go with this dish were simply called
home fries. Since then, I've learned that the fancy (French) name for them is
Pommes de Terre Lyonniase. This dish combines the potatoes and onions with a
steak and sauce.

Steak Lyonnaise

½ lb waxy potatoes, red or white, unpeeled
1 small onion, thinly sliced
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp oil
Salt and black pepper

½ lb sirloin steak
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 fl oz dry white wine
¼ cup beef or veal stock
½ tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp chopped parsley
Salt and pepper

Put the potatoes in a sauce pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil;
reduce heat and simmer until tender. Drain and let cool. Peel potatoes and
slice 1/4-inch thick. Put a tablespoon of butter in each of two frying pans
over high heat until foamy. Put the potatoes in one pan and all of the onions
in the other. Sauté, turning frequently until nicely browned. Divide the
onions in half. Toss half together with the potatoes Season with salt and
pepper to taste and set aside, keeping warm. Reserve remaining onions.

Heat the oil in a frying pan over high heat. Season both sides of the steak
with salt and pepper. Brown steak on both sides and cook to desired degree of
doneness. Set aside and keep warm.

Add the remaining onions to the steak pan and heat, stirring. Season with salt
and pepper. Add the wine, stock, and vinegar. Cook until liquid has
evaporated. Whisk in remaining 1 Tbsp of butter. Taste and adjust seasoning if
necessary.

Top the steak with the onions and serve with potato and onion mixture. Sprinkle
with parsley.

Serves 1

Bob Y.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Dilly Braised Beef

1/4 lb round steak, cut 1/2-inch thick
1/4 cup water
1/4 lb green beans, cleaned and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1/2 onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp dill
flour or cornstarch for gravy

Cut the steak into 1/2-inch strips. Put in sauce pan with water. Cover tightly
and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes, or until tender. Add water if
necessary.

Add the beans, potato, salt, pepper, and onion. Cover and cook for an
additional 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Combine the sugar,
vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and dill. Add to pot and cook 10 minutes.

Remove the meat and vegetables. Thicken the liquid by adding a slurry of flour
and water or cornstarch and water.

Serves 1.

Love Yourself Cookbook

Bob Y.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Hamburger Casserole

Oven 350ºF

¼ lb ground beef
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, diced
1 tsp ketchup
1 medium potato, peeled and sliced
1 Tbsp grated Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup beef broth

Salt and pepper to taste

Cook the beef, onion, and potato in a heavy skillet, over medium heat, stirring
constantly until beef is slightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a baking
dish and add the broth, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, salt, and pepper. Mix
well.

Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until potato is tender. Sprinkle top with
grated cheese and put under broiler until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve
hot

Cooking on Your Own

Bob Y.

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
Meat Loaf

Oven 350°F

1 lb ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup onion, minced
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Sauce:

1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp lemon juice

Mix meat loaf ingredients together. Put in a small loaf pan or form into a loaf
and put in a baking dish. Mix sauce ingredients together and pour over meat
loaf. Make sure that mixture is not soupy.

Bake at 350ºF for one hour.

Leftovers make great sandwiches.

Adapted from _Potluck on the Pedernales_

Chris Hill

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98

> Hamburger Casserole
>
> Oven 350ºF
>
> ¼ lb ground beef

[remainder of recipe snipped]

At this end, the recipe shows the Greek letter "pi" for the quantity of
beef, so it's saying "3.142 pounds ground beef." This seems like a lot for
one serving. What's the real deal here?

--
Chris jchillatdgsysdotcom
What would happen if I pulled the plug on the Reality Engine?

Curly Sue

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
see...@domain.com (Chris Hill) wrote:

>> Hamburger Casserole
>>
>> Oven 350ºF
>>
>> ¼ lb ground beef

>[remainder of recipe snipped]

>At this end, the recipe shows the Greek letter "pi" for the quantity of
>beef, so it's saying "3.142 pounds ground beef." This seems like a lot for
>one serving. What's the real deal here?

Mine shows the character for 1/4 (0.25 lb).
Sue(tm)
sue at interport net

Bob Y.

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 21:18:20 GMT, ndo...@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu (nancy dooley)
wrote:

>x-no-archive: yes

>>right. It also works for fried chicken. The down side is that I have to go out
>>and buy a quart of buttermilk if I want to do it this way. <g>
>

>Buy dried buttermilk; reconstitute only what you need each time you
>use it.
>
>N.

I've tried it for just that reason. Unfortunatly, the reconstituted stuff didn't
have the consistency of the "bottled" stuff. I might try again, using less than
the recommended amount of water so I get a thicker result.

Bob Y.

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
On Tue, 21 Jul 1998 19:22:02 -0400, see...@domain.com (Chris Hill) wrote:

>In article <35b4ea9e...@news.wcc.net>, rdy...@wcc.net wrote:
>
>> Hamburger Casserole
>>
>> Oven 350ºF
>>
>> ¼ lb ground beef
>
>[remainder of recipe snipped]
>
>At this end, the recipe shows the Greek letter "pi" for the quantity of
>beef, so it's saying "3.142 pounds ground beef." This seems like a lot for
>one serving. What's the real deal here?

Strange it would seem that your newsreader is reading pi for ¼ (alt 172) or 1/4.
It could be that when I changed the recipe from WordPro to DOS/ASCII, I failed
to change the fraction. In any event, it should have come thru at one fourth of
a pound.

As a small experiment:

alt 172 = ¼
using the character map = ¼
using WordPro = ¼

So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?

Victor Sack

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

> Strange it would seem that your newsreader is reading pi for ¤ (alt 172)
> or 1/4. It could be that when I changed the recipe from WordPro to
> DOS/ASCII, I failed to change the fraction. In any event, it should have
> come thru at one fourth of a pound.
>
> As a small experiment:
>
> alt 172 = ¤
> using the character map = ¤
> using WordPro = ¤
>
> So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?

None of them came through as one-fourth. I tried using MacSOUP,
YA-NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher (the newsreader Chris is using), Hogwasher,
MS Outlook Express, and Netscape (reading the recipe in DejaNews) --
fractions in some (but not all) of your recent recipes all appear as pi.

Victor

Kari E. Benson

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
rdy...@wcc.net (Bob Y.) writes:

> As a small experiment:
>
> alt 172 = Ľ
> using the character map = Ľ
> using WordPro = Ľ

> So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?

> d(:)
> Bob Y.
>
> TV: a weapon of mass distraction.
> — Heard on CNN

On my text based reader, all symbols such as these come through as
control sequences, and I have to guess what is meant e.g.

\ 2 7 4 = alt 172 (I added spaces so that this wouldn't be converted
back by your news reader.

Kinda makes the recipes a bit more sporting.

LinRey

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Bob, Don't you ever eat anything other than beef?

Curly Sue

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

>> Strange it would seem that your newsreader is reading pi for ¤ (alt 172)
>> or 1/4. It could be that when I changed the recipe from WordPro to
>> DOS/ASCII, I failed to change the fraction. In any event, it should have
>> come thru at one fourth of a pound.
>>

>> As a small experiment:
>>
>> alt 172 = ¤
>> using the character map = ¤
>> using WordPro = ¤

>> So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?

>None of them came through as one-fourth. I tried using MacSOUP,

>YA-NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher (the newsreader Chris is using), Hogwasher,
>MS Outlook Express, and Netscape (reading the recipe in DejaNews) --

Reading Victor's second-hand note, all came through to me as phi (not
pi).

But with Kari's second-hand note, they all came through to me as the
single character for 1/4, as Bob intended, even though Kari couldn't
read them.

So, somewhere they are getting changed either before Victor sees them
or after he sends them out (I could see Bob's original correctly).
OTOH, in Kari's case, they are intact but Kari just can't read them
because of the newsreader.

>ka...@niko.unl.edu (Kari E. Benson) wrote:

>rdy...@wcc.net (Bob Y.) writes:

>> As a small experiment:
>>
>> alt 172 = ¼
>> using the character map = ¼
>> using WordPro = ¼

>> So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?
>> d(:)
>> Bob Y.
>>

>On my text based reader, all symbols such as these come through as
>control sequences, and I have to guess what is meant e.g.

lendee

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Bob,

That won't work well at all. Instead, try slightly thinning commercial
sour cream, with a little milk, and using it instead. It's quite good.

Delores

Bob Y. <rdy...@wcc.net> wrote in article
<35b5cfa0...@news.wcc.net>...

Chris Hill

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

> As a small experiment:
>
> alt 172 = ź
> using the character map = ź
> using WordPro = ź

> So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?

I'm reading this (at home) on r.f.c., several hours after responding to
Bob's email copy. All of the above still read as "pi."

When my POPmailer (Eudora) went out and got that mail from the Sun
account, it rendered this character as Yet Something Else Again: the
degree symbol as I originally saw it in Bob's post, a small superscripted
circle with a line under it. Reading the very same email on the Sun via
telnet earlier today, the symbol came out as a "less than" sign (<).

Some of the other folks' responses show this character as "=3D =BC," the
proper degree symbol, or other weird stuff.

Mondo bizarrio!

I think this has to do with the non-standarddization of 8-bit characters;
ASCII only defines characters that use the lower 7 bits. Beyond that,
8-bit characters will be interpreted differently depending on whether one
is running un*x, Mac or WinDOS. I further speculate that the characters
get munged in unpredictable ways by the systems that handle the net
traffic between "here" and "there."

This all seems to be a good argument for sticking to genuine ASCII(tm) -
ask for it by name, accept no substitutes :^)

Chris Hill

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
In article <199807222005...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
lin...@aol.com (LinRey) wrote:

> Bob, Don't you ever eat anything other than beef?

So what's wrong with beef? Beef is our friend! For variety's sake, how
'bout a dab of sauce Bordelaise on that steak?

LKS

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
Curly Sue wrote:

> ObFood: I just burnt my finger getting a loaf of bread out of the
> pan.

This is submitted to the newsgroup as proof of Curly Sue's insanity.
It's currently 100 degrees and extremely humid here in the big apple (or
as our local newscasters like to coin, "the baked apple") and only
someone without a shred of reasoning capacity would be baking. Or
someone from Queens.

Laura

TJ

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98

I'm not from Queens, but I've baked 24 loaves of bread in the last week,
and it's been a muggymuggy 90 here. Hey, I need bread!
tj
who wants to give her KA anabolic steroids

Kaari Jae

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Victor Sack wrote:

> In article <35b5d0c8...@news.wcc.net>, rdy...@wcc.net wrote:
>
> > Strange it would seem that your newsreader is reading pi for ¤ (alt 172)
> > or 1/4. It could be that when I changed the recipe from WordPro to
> > DOS/ASCII, I failed to change the fraction. In any event, it should have
> > come thru at one fourth of a pound.
> >
> > As a small experiment:
> >
> > alt 172 = ¤
> > using the character map = ¤
> > using WordPro = ¤

> > So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?
>
> None of them came through as one-fourth. I tried using MacSOUP,
> YA-NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher (the newsreader Chris is using), Hogwasher,
> MS Outlook Express, and Netscape (reading the recipe in DejaNews) --
> fractions in some (but not all) of your recent recipes all appear as pi.
>
> Victor

Hmmm, how very odd, I use Netscape very 4.04 and in my Netscape news
reader and when reading the same recipe in DejaNews all 1/4 are shown
ok, no pi or anything else just a correct fraction albeit very tiny one.
No problems at all with my Netscape. Which version do you use Victor?

Kaari

Please remove the 8899 from my name before you reply. Thank you :)

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if, in your dream you went to heaven and there
plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,
when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah, what then?
(Coleridge)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

Kaari Jae

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Kari E. Benson wrote:

> rdy...@wcc.net (Bob Y.) writes:
>

> > As a small experiment:
> >
> > alt 172 = ¼
> > using the character map = ¼
> > using WordPro = ¼
> >
> > So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?
> > d(:)
> > Bob Y.
> >
> > TV: a weapon of mass distraction.
> > — Heard on CNN
>
> On my text based reader, all symbols such as these come through as
> control sequences, and I have to guess what is meant e.g.
>
> \ 2 7 4 = alt 172 (I added spaces so that this wouldn't be converted
> back by your news reader.
>
> Kinda makes the recipes a bit more sporting.

Victor,
I think it might be a problem with your news reader, since when I look
at your post as to what Bob writes about his small experiment, the
figures I see there look like a small circle with handles and when I
look at Kari's post (with Bob's experiment too) they look like the
fractions they're supposed to be.

Victor Sack

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:

> sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote:
>
> >In article <35b5d0c8...@news.wcc.net>, rdy...@wcc.net wrote:
>
> >> Strange it would seem that your newsreader is reading pi for ¤ (alt 172)
> >> or 1/4. It could be that when I changed the recipe from WordPro to
> >> DOS/ASCII, I failed to change the fraction. In any event, it should have
> >> come thru at one fourth of a pound.
> >>

> >> As a small experiment:
> >>
> >> alt 172 = ¤
> >> using the character map = ¤
> >> using WordPro = ¤
> >>
> >> So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?
>

> >None of them came through as one-fourth. I tried using MacSOUP,
> >YA-NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher (the newsreader Chris is using), Hogwasher,
> >MS Outlook Express, and Netscape (reading the recipe in DejaNews) --
>

> Reading Victor's second-hand note, all came through to me as phi (not
> pi).

This is interesting. Using another font, I could see all of them as
epsilon. In your 'third-hand' note all were represented by generic
boxes, though. It is clear that the characters used (a fraction in all
cases) are non-standard.

> But with Kari's second-hand note, they all came through to me as the
> single character for 1/4, as Bob intended, even though Kari couldn't
> read them.
>
> So, somewhere they are getting changed either before Victor sees them
> or after he sends them out (I could see Bob's original correctly).
> OTOH, in Kari's case, they are intact but Kari just can't read them
> because of the newsreader.

Yes. What is important, though, is the fact that both you and Bob are
using the same newsreader, Free Agent (with you using a fairly ancient
version), and the same platform, Windows. I use a Mac newsreader, as
does Chris, and Kari uses a Unix one. I first noticed this 'pi'
business about a year ago and the 'perpetrators' have invariably been
the Windows-impaired, though, it seems, the newsreaders can vary. It is
interesting to note that when I tried to post my reply to Bob's
'experiment' using MacSOUP, it refused to post it, claiming that some
characters were non ASCII and offering me no option to disregard the
warning, as would usually be the case. I was forced to use
YA-NewsWatcher. MacSOUP is, of course, exemplary in this and many other
respects.

Victor

Victor Sack

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Kaari Jae <8899...@hem1.passagen.se> wrote:

> Victor Sack wrote:
> >
> > In article <35b5d0c8...@news.wcc.net>, rdy...@wcc.net wrote:
> >
> > > Strange it would seem that your newsreader is reading pi for ¤ (alt 172)
> > > or 1/4. It could be that when I changed the recipe from WordPro to
> > > DOS/ASCII, I failed to change the fraction. In any event, it should have
> > > come thru at one fourth of a pound.
> > >
> > > As a small experiment:
> > >
> > > alt 172 = ¤
> > > using the character map = ¤
> > > using WordPro = ¤
> > >
> > > So, Chris, did any of them come thru as one-fourth?
> >
> > None of them came through as one-fourth. I tried using MacSOUP,
> > YA-NewsWatcher, MT-NewsWatcher (the newsreader Chris is using), Hogwasher,
> > MS Outlook Express, and Netscape (reading the recipe in DejaNews) --

> > fractions in some (but not all) of your recent recipes all appear as pi.
> >
> > Victor
>

> Hmmm, how very odd, I use Netscape very 4.04 and in my Netscape news
> reader and when reading the same recipe in DejaNews all 1/4 are shown
> ok, no pi or anything else just a correct fraction albeit very tiny one.
> No problems at all with my Netscape. Which version do you use Victor?

I'm using Netscape 4.05 and 3.04, both being the latest versions. Both
are Mac programs. I'm becoming convinced that the problem lies with
Windows. It seems that only the Windows programs are able to interpret
the characters correctly. After all, you are Windows-impaired, too (you
have my sympathy). BTW, those characters in your message mutated into
generic boxes, just as was the case with Sue's message. And I forgot to
mention that I tried MS Internet Explorer, too - with the same result.

Victor

Curly Sue

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

>Yes. What is important, though, is the fact that both you and Bob are
>using the same newsreader, Free Agent (with you using a fairly ancient
>version), and the same platform, Windows. I use a Mac newsreader, as
>does Chris, and Kari uses a Unix one. I first noticed this 'pi'
>business about a year ago and the 'perpetrators' have invariably been
>the Windows-impaired, though, it seems, the newsreaders can vary. It is
>interesting to note that when I tried to post my reply to Bob's
>'experiment' using MacSOUP, it refused to post it, claiming that some
>characters were non ASCII and offering me no option to disregard the
>warning, as would usually be the case. I was forced to use
>YA-NewsWatcher. MacSOUP is, of course, exemplary in this and many other
>respects.

Can you post a single "1/4" character with MacSOUP? Or do you mean
that because it is not a legit ASCII character it shouldn't be used?

ObFood: I just burnt my finger getting a loaf of bread out of the

pan. Bless those blue ice blox and lidocaine ointment! The bread
was really good too; one more go-round of tweaking the recipe and it
will be ready to post.

Curly Sue

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
LKS <Lau...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:

>> ObFood: I just burnt my finger getting a loaf of bread out of the
>> pan.

>This is submitted to the newsgroup as proof of Curly Sue's insanity.

>It's currently 100 degrees and extremely humid here in the big apple (or
>as our local newscasters like to coin, "the baked apple") and only
>someone without a shred of reasoning capacity would be baking. Or
>someone from Queens.

>Laura

I have a boo-boo and this is the sympathy I get?

It just so happens I need bread and I have a bread machine, which
doesn't heat up the kitchen. In fact now that you mention it, I
realize how far civilization has come that it's reasonable to bake
bread in weather like this.

Well, when they finally get electricity out to Brooklyn you can have a
bread machine too.

Bob Y.

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 02:43:03 +0200, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack)
wrote:

>Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:

>> sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack) wrote:

Sorry to all for the confusion. Will stick to 1/4 and 1/2 in the future. I just
got careless converting from WordPro to DOS/ASCII. What do you (Victor and
Kaari) get when I use alt 248 ° for the degrees symbol?

Harvey Bennett

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 02:43:05 +0200, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor
Sack) wrote:

>I'm using Netscape 4.05 and 3.04, both being the latest versions. Both
>are Mac programs. I'm becoming convinced that the problem lies with
>Windows. It seems that only the Windows programs are able to interpret
>the characters correctly.

Macs have a single, defined, standard alternate character set. Any
Mac, any vintage, will read them correctly. Any Mac can use those by
using cominations of the lower case, upper case, and option-lower case
and option-upper case keys.

Windows has a choice of alternate character sets which may or may not
be consistent. I avoid the alternate character sets on Windows
because unless you know everyone is using the same set, you have no
idea what they are going to get. I also avoid using alternate
character sets from the Mac if I am sending it to anyone I am not sure
has a Mac.

IMO, since Mac's standard sets are standard, but you can still get any
other character you want by simply loading another font, this is a
better solution than the Windows system where you don't know what you
will get. For newsgroups, I would suggest staying with all ascii
characters below 127, which means the standard typewriter type
characters. One fourth should be 1/4, which everyone can read.

BTW, I got this as he intended because I am reading this on a Windows
95 system with the original character set. However, I just got my wife
a new Mac G3, and having used this (expletive deleted) PC for a year,
I cannot understand why anyone would willing buy a PC when you can get
a Mac which actually works without being continually worked on.

Harvey

Kaari Jae

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Bob Y. wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 02:43:03 +0200, sa...@uni-duesseldorf.de (Victor Sack)
> wrote:
>
> >Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:

> Sorry to all for the confusion. Will stick to 1/4 and 1/2 in the future. I just
> got careless converting from WordPro to DOS/ASCII. What do you (Victor and
> Kaari) get when I use alt 248 ° for the degrees symbol?

Bob,

I get the degree symbol, so I think Victor is right about the special
ASCII codes being a bit of a problem, different computers and OS
(Windows, Dos, MAc, Unix) seem to handle them differently. But the new
set-up of ASCII codes is supposedly on its way, alas nobody knows when.
Only that it's supposed to be able to handle standardized way more than
10000 different letters and symbols. So maybe then all our problems are
over??? :)

Curly Sue

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
TJ <tsi...@gte.net> wrote:

>I'm not from Queens, but I've baked 24 loaves of bread in the last week,
>and it's been a muggymuggy 90 here. Hey, I need bread!
>tj
>who wants to give her KA anabolic steroids

You needed 24 loaves in a week??? 24?

LHC

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
In article <35b50576...@news.uiowa.edu>, nancy dooley says...

> Buy dried buttermilk; reconstitute only what you need each time you
> use it.

This is a great idea, Nancy. I also live alone now, as my teenaged son
has recently flown the coop. Being somewhat intolerant of milk (I can't
get past about a half cup at one time), I was regularly throwing away
the better part of a quart of milk. I only use it for cooking or cereal,
so now I buy powdered milk and reconstitute only what I immediately need.

I've not seen powdered buttermilk though... do I need to go to the health
food store for that?
--
Laurie
bluemoon at bigfoot dot com

Curly Sue

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
har...@bennettengineering.com (Harvey Bennett) wrote:

>BTW, I got this as he intended because I am reading this on a Windows
>95 system with the original character set. However, I just got my wife
>a new Mac G3, and having used this (expletive deleted) PC for a year,
>I cannot understand why anyone would willing buy a PC when you can get
>a Mac which actually works without being continually worked on.

I love to watch Mac users dance the Superiority Dance on the deck of
the Titanic...

TJ

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Curly Sue wrote:

> TJ <tsi...@gte.net> wrote:
>
> >I'm not from Queens, but I've baked 24 loaves of bread in the last week,
> >and it's been a muggymuggy 90 here. Hey, I need bread!
> >tj
> >who wants to give her KA anabolic steroids
>
> You needed 24 loaves in a week??? 24?

I didn't say I did it every week.
I'm a completeness freak. An option freak. This means I don't have 1
kind of broth in my freezer, but a tomato-based one, a thin one, an
Asian one.
I take bread to work; there is always homemade bread in my house. I
found that I was a slave to the KA until I learned you could freeze them
well.
I have whole-wheat, whole wheat apple, white potato bread, and milk
white in my freezer now.
If you're going to bake and freeze, might has well make a triple recipe
and get it over with.
Now I'm happy.
tj
Except I need a magic mill or a Hobart, and a double oven. (And more
cooling space, and freezer bags that take a whole loaf instead of having
to cut them in half).

Bob Y.

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
On Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:52:22 +0200, Kaari Jae <8899...@hem1.passagen.se>
wrote:

>I get the degree symbol, so I think Victor is right about the special
>ASCII codes being a bit of a problem, different computers and OS
>(Windows, Dos, MAc, Unix) seem to handle them differently. But the new
>set-up of ASCII codes is supposedly on its way, alas nobody knows when.
>Only that it's supposed to be able to handle standardized way more than
>10000 different letters and symbols. So maybe then all our problems are
>over??? :)
>
>Kaari
>

>-- =

Speaking of strange symbols, when your sig appears, I get it preceded and
followed by 3 lines of =3D (equals, 3, D).

Bob Y.

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Chicken in Wine

Oven 350 deg. F.

1 each leg and thigh
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 Tbsp flour
1 sm bay leaf
dash salt and pepper
pinch dried thyme
1/4 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
1 strip bacon, diced
1 Tbs olive oil
1 sm clove garlic, cut in half

Skin chicken pieces and roll in a mixture of the flour, salt, pepper, and
paprika. Fry bacon until done, but not crisp. Drain on paper
towels and put in and 8x6x2-inch baking dish.

Discard bacon fat and add olive oil to pan. Brown chicken
over medium heat. Remove and put in dish. Cook onions and
garlic 2 minutes. Discard garlic. Add wine, bay leaf, thyme,
and parsley and simmer 3 minutes. Pour over chicken.

Bake for 1 hour, turning pieces after 30 minutes. Uncover
and bake an additional 15 minutes, until very tender.

1 serving.

Now, did this one screw up anyone's newreader? <g>

Bob Y.

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Chicken Cacciatore

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small green pepper, cored seeded and cut into 1-inch seeded and cut into

1-inch pieces
1/2 chicken breast
1 small onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped seeded, and chopped
1 stalk celery cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 clove garlic, crushed
Pinch dried thyme
Pinch dried oregano
Pinch dried basil
Paprika to taste
Salt to taste

Heat oil in a small skillet. Brown chicken on all sides. Transfer to a heavy
pot. Add the vegetable to the skillet and sauté until wilted. Season with
thyme, oregano, basil, salt, and paprika. Bring to a boil and pour over
chicken. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is tender and sauce has
slightly thickened.

Serve over rice or the pasta of your choice.

Cooking on Your Own

Bob Y.

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98

Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Goat Cheese and Basil

Oven 350

Chicken

1 boneless chicken breast halves, skinned
1 oz fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet)
1 tsp green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp dried basil, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 egg, beaten to blend
1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 Tbs unsalted butter, melted

Mushroom-Wine Sauce

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 oz mushrooms, sliced
1 Tbsp cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp chicken broth
1Tbsp unsalted butter
Salt and pepper

For chicken:

Preheat oven to 350F. Pound chicken between sheets of waxed paper to thickness
of 1/4 inch using meat mallet. Pat chicken dry.

Combine cheese, green onions, and basil is small bowl. Season with salt and
pepper. Spread cheese mixture lengthwise over half of each chicken piece. Tuck
short ends in. Roll chicken up, starting at one long side, into tight cylinders.

Tie ends with string to secure. Dip chicken in egg, allowing excess to drip back
into bowl. Roll in breadcrumbs, shaking off excess. (Can be prepared 4 hours
ahead. Refrigerate.

Place chicken in smallbaking dish. Pour 1/2 Tbsp melted butter over. Bake until
cooked through, about 20 minutes.

For sauce:

Meanwhile, melt 2 Tbsp butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add
mushrooms and saute until tender, about 8 minutes. Add wine and boil 3 minutes.
Add stock and boil until reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Remove
from heat and swirl in Tbs cold butter. Season sauce with salt and freshly
ground pepper.

Remove string from chicken. Cut rolls crosswise into 1/2-inch thick rounds. Fan
on plates. Serve immediately, passing sauce separately.

Serves 1

Adapted from Bon Appetit, Nov 90

Young

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
nancy dooley wrote:

> >Except I need a magic mill or a Hobart, and a double oven. (And more
> >cooling space, and freezer bags that take a whole loaf instead of having
> >to cut them in half).
>
> TJ, look for nice, long bakers' bread bags with the canning supplies
> at a discount store. They come in sort of flat boxes, like those
> waxed paper bag boxes. We also have a food wholesaler in town, and I
> can get them there.
>
> N.

Plus, King Arthur Flour has bread bags ... excellent quality; I keep
them on hand for just about anything ... I've carried manuals into
work in them when it's raining ... they come in different sizes.
10 bucks or so for 100 bags ... worth every penny.

nancy

Kaari Jae

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
TJ wrote:

> Curly Sue wrote:
> >
> > TJ <tsi...@gte.net> wrote:
> >
> > >I'm not from Queens, but I've baked 24 loaves of bread in the last week,
> > >and it's been a muggymuggy 90 here. Hey, I need bread!
> > >tj
> > >who wants to give her KA anabolic steroids
> >
> > You needed 24 loaves in a week??? 24?
>
> I didn't say I did it every week.
> I'm a completeness freak. An option freak. This means I don't have 1
> kind of broth in my freezer, but a tomato-based one, a thin one, an
> Asian one.
> I take bread to work; there is always homemade bread in my house. I
> found that I was a slave to the KA until I learned you could freeze them
> well.
> I have whole-wheat, whole wheat apple, white potato bread, and milk
> white in my freezer now.
> If you're going to bake and freeze, might has well make a triple recipe
> and get it over with.
> Now I'm happy.
> tj
> Except I need a magic mill or a Hobart, and a double oven. (And more
> cooling space, and freezer bags that take a whole loaf instead of having
> to cut them in half).

TJ
you sure you wouldn't be happier if you lived in a restaurant?? :)))

Kaari

Please remove the 8899 from my name before you reply. Thank you :)

What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed?
And what if, in your dream you went to heaven and there
plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if,
when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand?
Ah, what then?
(Coleridge)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

..

..

Victor Sack

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Curly Sue <s...@addressin.sig> wrote:

> Can you post a single "1/4" character with MacSOUP? Or do you mean
> that because it is not a legit ASCII character it shouldn't be used?

Theoretically, no non-ASCII characters should be used on international
or English-language-only newsgroups. Practically, such characters as
umlauts and accented letters can be converted correctly by nearly every
modern server or newsreader, as their conversion has been fairly well
standardized. The only ones that could have problems with these
characters would be Unix machines with either ancient or badly
configured software.

In case of other non-standard characters, such as fractions as single
characters, a lot of newsreaders aren't equipped to convert them
correctly and that is why there is a built-in restriction on posting
them in MacSOUP. MacSOUP will allow me to mail them, though, just
warning me that my correspondent could have problems with them.

Victor

This message has been luxuriantly hand-crafted of only the finest ASCII.

Victor Sack

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Harvey Bennett <har...@bennettengineering.com> wrote:

> Macs have a single, defined, standard alternate character set. Any
> Mac, any vintage, will read them correctly. Any Mac can use those by
> using cominations of the lower case, upper case, and option-lower case
> and option-upper case keys.

I don't think the alternate character set is quite that standardized on
the Mac. After all, that fraction (1/4) Bob posted, appeared as pi when
I used Monaco and as epsilon when I used Geneva. Why should it be
font-dependent? It seems that the set either doesn't include some
characters, or they are not defined uniformly for all the standard
fonts.

> IMO, since Mac's standard sets are standard, but you can still get any
> other character you want by simply loading another font, this is a
> better solution than the Windows system where you don't know what you
> will get. For newsgroups, I would suggest staying with all ascii
> characters below 127, which means the standard typewriter type
> characters. One fourth should be 1/4, which everyone can read.

As I said in the thread, it seems that such characters as umlauts and
accented letters can now be read correctly by most any modern
newsreader, whatever the platform.

> BTW, I got this as he intended because I am reading this on a Windows
> 95 system with the original character set. However, I just got my wife
> a new Mac G3, and having used this (expletive deleted) PC for a year,
> I cannot understand why anyone would willing buy a PC when you can get
> a Mac which actually works without being continually worked on.

Hear, hear!

Victor

Victor Sack

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Bob Y. <rdy...@wcc.net> wrote:

> Sorry to all for the confusion. Will stick to 1/4 and 1/2 in the future. I
> just got careless converting from WordPro to DOS/ASCII. What do you
> (Victor and Kaari) get when I use alt 248 ° for the degrees symbol?

I see the degree symbol all right. I seems to be standardized as well.
I avoided posting it in the past, save for one instance recently, but I
think I can fairly safely do it now. Here it is, to test it: °

Could you repost those recipes with fractions (there were several that
came across as pi)? They seem to be interesting.

Victor

Chris Hill

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
In article <6p7ga5$pav$1...@winter.news.erols.com>, s...@addressin.sig wrote:

> I love to watch Mac users dance the Superiority Dance on the deck of
> the Titanic...

Yup, Apple has been about to go under for a good 10 years now :^)
Seriously, though I like the product, it is one of the most
stupidly-managed companies.

Sara

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
TJ wrote:

> I have whole-wheat, whole wheat apple, white potato bread, and milk
> white in my freezer now.

That whole wheat apple bread sounds mighty good. Care to share the
recipe?

(And could you share it before Tuesday, the 29th? I'm leaving for 2
weeks vacation and I'm afrain I'll miss it if you post while I'm gone.)

TJ

Jul 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/24/98
to Sara
Sara wrote:

> That whole wheat apple bread sounds mighty good. Care to share the
> recipe?

This recipe doesn't taste like apples. What apples seem to do is give it
a nice texture and *staying power*, and a few minerals I'm sure. The
loaf doesn't get as hard and old as fast. It does freeze well. It's from
Breads at the Academy....the california culinary academy

A package of yeast in 1 1/4 C warm water
Throw in 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup warm milk
1 1/2 Teas salt
2 tables. 'salad oil' (I use ghee)
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour (I grind my own, fresh, and it's the 'hard
winter' red wheat berries
about 5 cups all purp flour
1 large apple peeled, cored shredded.

I just throw the whole mess into my Kitchen aid. They suggest you soften
the yeast with one teasp of brown sugar and then add in 3 cups all purp
and everything else but the WW and the apple. Beat a bit, add the WW and
apple, then continue adding the all purp until you have the usual good
bread texture.
I use a tart apple...granny Smith or Rome and use more like 1 1/2 big
ones.
I hand shred it with the biggest holes my grater has.
I am generous with the WW...more like 2 cups.
I have used honey with sucess.
My next variation would be to add 1/2 cup soaked wheat berry chops.

Let double in a warm place, punch down and divide into two, shape into
loaf, put in greased 8" bread pans, let double, bake about 40 minutes at
350 F

etc.
Recipe quadruples and quintuples well, but you have to do it in batches
in the KA. I also make *much* larger loafs....Pullman pans, etc. and it
does fine.
This is my standard 'toast in the morning' bread, and it loves jam.
tj

Unknown

Jul 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/25/98
Jeeze tj, you're turning into a regular tj Stewart! When do have time
to work? <G>
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

LKS

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Curly Sue wrote:

> LKS <Lau...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> >Curly Sue wrote:

> I have a boo-boo and this is the sympathy I get?

Oh, stop whining. Maybe you can get sheldon to kiss it...:P

> Well, when they finally get electricity out to Brooklyn you can have a
> bread machine too.

When the finally get brains out in Queens, you can have....Nah, what am
I saying?? Brains? Queens?...how oxymoronic...no one with a brain would
live in Queens...

Laura, not even running....

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Hamburger with Shallots and Red Wine

4 to 5 oz ground round
2 tsp minced shallots
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 Tbsp beef broth

Shape ground round into a patty. Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and cook the
patty to desired doneness (about 4 minutes a side for medium). Remove and keep
warm.

Pour off excess oil from skillet and add the butter. Cook the shallots for 1
minute. Add the wine and cook until reduced by one-half. Add the broth and
heat through. Pour sauce over patty and serve.

From _Cooking on Your Own_

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Beef Roll-ups

1/4 lb thinly sliced round steak
1/4 cup prepared stuffing mix
1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup tomato sauce

Pound meat on both sides to tenderize or use meat tenderizer as directed on jar.

Cut meat into 2 pieces. Place 2 Tbsp of stuffing in the center of each piece.
Roll up, tucking in ends and secure with toothpicks.

Melt butter in a small skillet and brown meat rolls. Add the tomato sauce and
cook over low heat for 30 minutes, adding water if sauce becomes too thick.

Serve with buttered pasta, such a linguine, vermicelli, or fettucini.

Serves 1.

Love Yourself Cookbook

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Pepper Beef

1/4 cup beef broth
1/3 cup catsup
2 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger, or to taste
1 small garlic clove, minced or put through a press
1/4 lb round steak cut into 1/2-inch by 2-inch pieces
1/2 medium green pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
1/2 tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 water
Hot cooked rice

Combine the broth, catsup, 1 Tbsp oil, soy sauce, ginger, and garlic.
Add the beef strips and marinate 15 minute to an hour. Drain meat and reserve
marinade.

Heat 1 Tbsp oil in skillet or wok. Stir-fry the pepper for 2 minutes. Remove
pepper and keep warm. Add the beef and stir-fry until meat loses its color.

Return pepper to pan and add marinade. Add the tomato and simmer for 2 to 3
minutes. Mix the cornstarch with water and add to pan stirring until sauce
thickens.

Serves 1.

From Love Yourself Cookbook

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Junie's Steak Pizzaiola

Oven 375F

1 tsp olive oil
6 oz. round or chuck steak
1 8-oz. can of tomatoes, drained
1 clove garlic, peeled and cut in thirds
1/2 tsp dried oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

Oil the bottom of a baking dish. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and
put in dish. Add remaining ingredients on top of steak. Cover tightly with lid
or aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.

Cooking on Your Own

I have no idea who Junie is.

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Steak, Onion, and Potato Pie

Oven 350F

1/4 cup flour
2 tsp shortening
1 Tbsp cold water
1 or 2 small potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
1 or 2 small onions, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 lb round steak cut into small cubes

Salt and pepper to taste

Make the pie crust. Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Cut in
the shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the water and blend
until a ball is formed. Flatten and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30
minutes.

Grease a small casserole with 1 tsp butter. Put a layer of potatoes on the
bottom of the casserole. Top with a layer of onions. Season with salt and
pepper. Place meat on top of vegetables and season with salt and pepper.

Roll out dough to make a crust and cover the meat and vegetables, pressing it
against the sides of the casserole. Cut a slit in the center to allow steam to
escape. Bake for 1 hour. Serve hot.

From _Cooking on Your Own_

d(:)

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Steak Paprika

1/4 lb round steak
Paprika
1 garlic clove, minced
2 green onions, including tops, sliced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 tomato, diced
1/4 cup beef broth
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp soy sauce
Hot cooked egg noodles

Sprinkle a generous amount of paprika on the beef. Sauté the meat, garlic, and
onions in the butter until the meat is browned. Add the tomato and broth.
Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.

Mix cornstarch, water, and soy sauce. Add to the pan and cook until sauce is
thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over hot noodles.

Serve 1.

From _Love Yourself Cookbook_

Bob Y.

Jul 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/28/98
Beef Stroganoff

1 tsp paprika
1/4 lb beef tenderloin cut into long strips
1 tsp butter
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp chopped onion
2 Tbsp white wine
1/4 cup sour cream
2 Tbsp sour pickles (cornichons) cut in match stick pieces

Salt and pepper to taste

On a plate or sheet of wax paper, mix the paprika, salt, and pepper. Coat the
beef strips with this mixture. Melt the butter in a skillet large enough to
hold the beef strips in a single layer. Add beef and stir so it is cooked
evenly for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.

Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for 1 minute. Turn the heat to low and
add the wine, cooking it down to 1 Tbsp. Add the sour cream and mix well.

Return the meat to the skillet and cover with sauce. Stir in pickles. Serve
over potatoes, rice, or noodles (spatzlen).

From _Cooking on Your Own_

Bob Y.

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Pork Chops with White Wine

1 pork chop 1- to 1 1/2-inch thick
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1/2 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup dry white wine

Heat a small, heavy skillet over medium-high heat.

Grind sage, rosemary, salt, and pepper with a mortar and pestle or in a small
electric coffee grinder. Add to crushed garlic and mix well. Spread mixture on
both sides of chop.

When skillet is hot, add butter and oil. When butter has melted and foaming has
stopped, add chop and brown on both sides. Remove chop and add 1/4 cup of the
white wine and deglaze the pan.

Return chop to pan, reduce heat and cover. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, depending
on thickness of chop. Remove to a warm plate. Add remaining wine and reduce
until it coats the back of a spoon. Pour sauce over chop.

This is good with corn-on-the-cob and French bread.

Serves 1

Bob Y.

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Stuffed Pork Chop
1 pork loin chop, 1 inch thick
1 Tbsp Italian-style bread crumbs
1 tsp grated Parmesan
1 tsp finely chopped prosciutto or fully cooked Virginia ham
1 tsp green onions (with some top), chopped
1 tsp beaten egg*
1 Tbsp butter
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 tsp pepper
1/4 cup Marsala or dry red wine

Make a cut in each chop to form a pocket. Mix bread crumbs, cheese, ham, onion,
and egg. Fill pockets with bread mixture. Heat butter in a 10-inch skillet over
medium-high heat. Saute 1 onion and the bell pepper in butter.

Add chops and cook uncovered over medium heat, turning once to brown. Sprinkle
with salt and pepper; add wine. Cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes or until
pork chops are done.

*Refrigerate rest of the egg in a covered container and used in an omelet or
scrambled eggs the next morning.

Serves 1

Adapted from Betty Crocker's Italian Cooking

Bob Y.

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98
Pork with Sauerkraut

1 small onion, sliced
1 oz can of sauerkraut
1/2tart apple cored, peeled, and sliced
7 to 9 oz pork roast, trimmed of fat
2 small potatoes, peeled
1 to 2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Salt and pepper to taste

In a small heavy pot, layer the onion, apple, and whole potatoes, sprinkling
each layer with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Heat oil in a skillet and brown pork. Add pork to vegetables. Season with
salt and pepper. Cover pot and cook over low heat for 2 hours, or until pork is
tender. If necessary, use a flame-tamers under the pot.

Cooking on Your Own

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Codfish Cakes

1/4 lb dried, salted codfish
1 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 egg, beaten
All-purpose flour

Salt and pepper to taste

Oil or butter for frying

Refresh codfish according to directions on box. Flake with a fork or put into a
food processor and pulse until it is evenly flaked, but not pureed.

Make mashed potatoes. Mix codfish with potatoes and 2 tablespoons of the egg.*
Season with salt and pepper and add enough flour to make a stiff mixture. Form
mixture into cakes and fry until golden brown on both sides.

Alternatively, form into balls the size of a golf ball and deep fry until golden
brown.

Serves 1

*Remaining egg can be frozen. Should be used within a month.

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Cod Fillet with Potatoes and Onion

Oven: 425F

2 small potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp chopped parsley
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 small onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp dry white bread crumbs
2 Tbsp dry white wine

Salt and pepper to taste

3 Tbsp butter
1 cod fillet (about 3 oz)

Cover potatoes with cold water and set aside. Melt 1 Tbsp butter and butter the
bottom of a baking dish. Add the cod and season with salt and pepper. Drain
the potatoes and put them in a mixing bowl with the onion rings, garlic, salt,
and pepper. Mix well.

Arrange the vegetables around the cod fillet in the baking dish. Dot them with
the remaining butter. Sprinkle the cod with bread crumbs and moisten them with
the wine.

Bake at 425F for 30 minutes.

Serves one.

From Cooking on Your Own

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
I did this when I was dieting. If you wish, go ahead and use butter and cream.
<g>

Salmon Cakes with Mustard Sauce

1 (7 3/4 oz) can salmon, drained and flaked
1/4 cup fine, dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp pepper
Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
Mustard Sauce

Combine first 6 ingredients, set aside.

Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium heat until
hot. For each salmon cake, spoon about ¼ cup mixture onto skillet; shape into
patty with spatula. Cook about 2 minutes, or until browned, on each side.
Serve immediately with Mustard Sauce.

Freeze extra cakes and reheat in a 350F oven. If you try reheating in a
microwave, you will spend days getting rid of the fish oder. Trust me on this
one.

Makes 4 cakes.

Mustard Sauce

2 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine
1 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup skim milk
1 Tsp dry mustard
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Melt margarine over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute,
stirring constantly. Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat; stir in mustard,
lemon juice, and salt.

Makes 1 cup

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Fillet of Sole with Tomatoes

1 fillet (6 to 7 oz) of sole
2 Tbsp drained and chopped canned tomatoes
2 tsp butter
2 tsp minced onion
2 tsp minced parsley

2 Tbsp dry white wine

Pepper to taste

Cut the fillet into 2 strips. Roll up each strip and secure with toothpicks.
Heat butter in a skillet and sauté onions until translucent. Place the fish
rolls in the skillet and pour the wine over them. Add the tomatoes and parsley
and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish
flakes when touched with a fork.

Remove fish to a warm plate and keep warm. Stir the sauce remaining in the
skillet over medium-high heat until it thickens slightly. Pour over fish.

Serves 1 or 2

From _Cooking on Your Own_

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Ham Loaf

Oven 350 F.

4 to 6 oz ham
1 egg
1 stalk celery
2 slices white bread trimmed of crusts and cubed
1 small green pepper, cored and seeded

Salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in a food processor with the steel blade and process to a
fine texture. Line a baking pan with aluminum foil. Mold mixture into the
shape of a loaf in pan and cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes to allow
crust to form. Serve hot or cold. May be served with a sauce or sweet relish.

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Aunt Mary's BBQ Chicken

This is one I learned from my aunt, Mary Baldelli in New London, CT. You'll
want to pick the bones clean, I did. She used Zinfandel (a dry red wine) but
any dry wine, red or white, will do as long as it is drinkable. Remember, if
you can't drink it, don't cook with it! This is also one of the few times I will
use garlic and onion powders. You could use garlic and onion salt, in which case
omit the salt in the recipe.

1/2 chicken, cut into serving pieces
1/4 stick butter
1/2 cup Zinfandel
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
pinch of cayenne or pepper sauce (to taste)

Mix all ingredients except chicken and warm over low heat until butter melts.
Marinate chicken 30 minutes while coals are getting ready. Take chicken out of
marinade and put dark meat on oiled grill, skin side down. Grill over high
direct heat about 2 minutes and then raise grid to medium-hot. After 15 minutes
put on white meat and lower grid briefly to sear. Brush dark pieces with warm
marinade and turn. After 7 or 8 minutes brush white meat with marinade and
turn. Let chicken cook for a total of 30 minutes for dark and 15 minutes for
white, or until juices run clear.

If cooking a whole half-chicken rather than parts, sear over high direct heat
for 2 or 3 minutes. Continue cooking covered over medium-high indirect heat for
35 to 40 minutes, or until juices run clear.

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98

This type of sandwich is known by different names in different parts of the
country--Hero, Hoagie, Zeppelin, Poor boy, etc. As near as I can determine this
is the earliest version, originating in either New Haven or New London,
Connecticut. Both sides claim it was first made in their city. Wherever it
originated, it makes a great lunch or light supper and in hot weather, add a
cold beer.

Grinder
or Italian Sandwich

1 small (8-inch) loaf of Italian or French bread
6 (at least) thin slices of cotto salami
3 (at least) thin slices of provolone cheese
olive oil
shredded lettuce
sliced tomato
salt
freshly ground black pepper
red pepper flakes (optional)

Slice the bread in half lengthwise and sprinkle the cut surfaces generously with
olive oil. Layer the salami on both sides of the cut and add the cheese,
lettuce, and tomatoes. Sprinkle with a little extra olive oil and salt,pepper
and red pepper flakes to taste.

Serves one.

Although I have heard this style sandwich called a poorboy in some parts of the
country. including, Texas, it is my understanding that a real poorboy is an
oyster sandwich which originated in New Orleans.

Bob Y.

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Hot Italian Sausage Sandwich

1 link Italian sausage (4 to 6 inch)
1/4 green bell pepper
2 or 3 slices onion
1 8-inch loaf of French or Italian bread
oil for frying

Coarsely chop the pepper and onion. Fry sausage until browned. Remove from pan
and drain. Add onion and pepper to pan and sauté for a few minutes. Slice
sausage into 1/4-inch rounds and return them to the pan. Cook until sausage is
not longer pink and the pepper and onion are soft..

Slice bread lengthwise and put the sausage, onion, and pepper mixture on it.
Serve hot.

If you want, add some chopped tomatoes or some tomato sauce to the onion and
peppers. Sliced Mozzarella or Provolone cheese goes well in this sandwich.

Makes 1 sandwich.

Bob Y.

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Since the Rabbit/Rarebit thing has surfaced again, this time in terms of bad
dreams, here's a single serving:

Welsh Rabbit
I like this sauce over English muffins with crisp bacon, not a diet breakfast.
It's also good over a ham omelet or a baked potato. It is often made using flat
beer or ale and either may be substituted for the milk.

1/2 Tbsp butter
1/2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1/8 lb. cheddar cheese, grated
1/8 tsp salt
Cayenne and black pepper to taste
1/8 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Paprika
1 English muffin, halved and toasted or 2 slices of toast

Melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Stir in milk and
when sauce begins to thicken add the cheese. When cheese is melted and blended
in, pour over muffin or toast. Sprinkle with paprika for color.

Flat beer or ale can be substituted for the milk.

Serves 1

Bob Y.

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Bean Soup

1 tsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped ham
1 Tbsp chopped onion
2 Tbsp chopped green peppers
1 8-oz. can whole tomatoes
1/2 cup water
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 cup canned baked beans

Salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a small heavy sauce pan. Sauté the ham, onion, and green peppers
about four minutes over medium heat. Add remaining ingredient, except beans,
and cook ten minutes. Add the beans and heat through. Serve hot.

You might want to chop or puree the tomatoes or substitute tomato sauce.

From _Cooking on Your Own_

d(:)