Autumn Bean Soup

Carmen Bartels

Sep 10, 2001, 12:46:06 PM9/10/01
Autumn has creeped in here in Germany with temperature from 8-15 C
(46-59 F) and LOTS of rain :-( So I decided to make the first hearty
soup this season. The result was (is, the remainder will be my lunch at
work tomorrow) very tasty and will be further enhanced until perfect-

Autumn Bean Soup
1 l (1 quart) water
0.5 l (2 cups) tomato purree
2 krakow sausages (Krakauer) (*)
4 small smoked? meat sausages (Mettenden) (**)
8 medium sized mealy potatoes (1-2 pounds, did not weigh it)
2 pound precooked white beans
2 cloves garlic preserved in chili oil
1 pound onions
stock cubes for 1 l
2 teaspoons seasoning "dabelska smes" (***)

Peel and cut the onions into medium-sized (2 mm=1/13 inch) pieces. Cut
the Krakauer into 0.5 cm (0.2 inch) cubes and the Mettenden into 2 mm
(1/13 inch) slices.
Put water into a big (4-5 l,1.5-2 quart) pot, add tomato purree,
stock cubes, sausages and onions and heat it for 15 minutes.

Peel and cut the potatos into 2cm (0.8 inch) cubes.
Add to the stock and simmer for another 15 minutes (until potatoes are
soft but not breaking apart). Put in the beans and reduce the heat to
lowest (the beans should NOT cook at all, as they would become mushy).
Seasons with garlic and "dabelska smes".

Serve and enjoy.

(*) Krakow sausages are about 15 cm (6 inch) long and about 1.5 cm (0.6
inch) thick. They appear to be cooked, have a nice amount of garlic and
resemble vienna sausages but with coarsly cut up meat instead of the
finely ground used there.

(**) Mettenden are made from ground meat and resemble soft salami but
are coarser. This 4 pieces were each about 5 cm (2 inch) long and 1 cm
(0.4 inch) thick.

(***) "dabelska smes" has diacritic sign over both a and an inverted hat
over the e in smes. I bought this mix in Czechia and like it for
seasoning if I aim at balkan food.
The ingredients are: sul (45%), paprika sladka, cesnek, chillies, pepr
cerny, kmin, nove koreni, salvej.
My pocket guide tells me that that means more or less:
salt (45%), sladka (hot?) paprika, garlic, chilies, black pepper,
caraway, nove (new?, fresh?) herbs, sage

Carmen,
who will make a spinach soup in about 30 minutes and just realizes she
only has pecorino and not parmesan on hand (and won't go out for
shopping any more as it has started *again* to rain and storm)
--
Carmen Bartels elfgar@ATP, elfgar@Xyllomer
ca...@squirrel.han.de caba@irc