NEEDED: SHORTBREAD RECIPE!

kmcc...@freenet.npiec.on.ca

Nov 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/19/97

I need a good shortbread cookie recipe please!!!

thanks...

--

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
< Do not knock at Death's door, ring the doorbell and run away! Death >

shelagh leggett

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

In article <64tgon$rpu$1...@brain.npiec.on.ca>,
kmcc...@freenet.npiec.on.ca writes

>I need a good shortbread cookie recipe please!!!
>
>thanks...
>
>--

Here are a few shortbread recipes from a genuine Scot(Scotland being the
home of Shortbread!

PETTICOAT TAILS

6oz butter, softened
3oz caster sugar
6oz plain flour
3oz ground rice
¼ tsp salt
caster sugar to dredge

Preheat oven to 170c. Lightly grease a baking sheet. In a bowl, cream
together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Sift flour, ground
rice and salt into the bowl. Mix to a soft, not sticky, dough. Turn out
on to a lightly floured surface, knead gently until smooth.
Roll out to a 25cm/10in. circle and transfer to the baking sheet. Mark
the centre, if liked, using a shortbread stamp. Prick all over with a
fork, leaving a 1in. border. Pinch the edges to flute and mark into 8
wedges. Bake for 30 mins. until pale golden.
Using a sharp knife, cut into wedges and liberally sprinkle with castor
sugar. Cool for 10 mins. then transfer to a cake rack to cool
completely. Store for up to 5 days in an airtight container.

LEMONY SHORTBREAD

2oz caster sugar
5oz plain flour, sifted
2oz ground rice
½ tsp finely grated lemon zest
4oz unsalted butter
1tbsp caster sugar, to decorate

Put the sugar, flour, rice and lemon zest into a mixing bowl. Rub the
butter into the sugar mixture until it is evenly mixed. Gently knead to
form a ball.
Using the back of a damp metal spoon, press the dough into a 7in. round
loose-based flan or sandwich tin, but don’t over-press it.
Prick the dough, mark into 8 triangles with a sharp knife and make a
pattern around the edge with a fork. Make in a preheated oven at 160c
for 35-40mins.or until a very pale gold. Leave the shortbread to cool
for 5min. before dredging with the remaining caster sugar. Cool on a
wire rack and then store in an airtight tin.

SHORTBREAD BISCUITS
10 oz marge.
6 oz caster sugar
1 lb. P. flour (or 2 parts flour to 1 part cornflour
Pinch of salt

1)Cream marge. & sugar
2)Add flour & knead well
3)Roll out & cut in shapes
4)Bake for about 15mins. at 180c
5)When cooked immediately dredge with caster sugar
N.B makes lots.

--
shelagh leggett

Kathy

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

I made this shortbread recipe just last week and took some in to work. My
workmates gave it a vote of approval. It is very simple and rather nice.

SHORTBREAD
(Edmonds Cookery Book)

250g butter
1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
1 cup cornflour (cornstarch)
2 cups plain baking flour

Cream butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy. Sift cornflour and
flour together. Mix sifted ingredients into cream mixture. Knead well. On a
lightly floured board, roll out to 1.5cm thickness. Shape as desired. Place
on greased oven tray. Prick with a fork. Bake at 150C (300F) for 30 minutes
or until pale golden.

The recipe says it makes about 30, but that depends on how big each piece
is. I made about 18 large pieces.

Kathy
(from New Zealand)

kmcc...@freenet.npiec.on.ca wrote in message
<64tgon$rpu$1...@brain.npiec.on.ca>...

>I need a good shortbread cookie recipe please!!!
>
>thanks...

shelagh leggett

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

In article <34746BB8...@paonline.com>, =?iso-
8859-1?q?Sharon_=D6dmann?= <sha...@paonline.com> writes

>Thanks for the recipes, they sound great, but I am curious about the ground
>rice. I have never seen that in a recipe for baked goods before. Cooked, not
>cooked? Long grain, regular? And how do you grind it? Food processor?
>
>I'm going to try one of the recipes.
>
>Sharon

Sharon,
I've looked up my Anglo-American cookbook but can find no
equivalent of ground rice. It's just something that is bought in a
packet and readily available in shops here. You could substitute
cornflour(cornstarch) or fine semolina(farina) or even just use all
plain flour but the ground rice gives the shortbread a melt in the mouth
texture. Hope this helps.

Shelagh

ren...@skylands.net

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

In article <KMWabCAB...@lindon.demon.co.uk>, shelagh leggett
<she...@lindon.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Hmm. Sounds like what she calls 'ground rice' is called 'rice flour' here
in the U.S. It's available in some supermarkets.

HTH,

C. Renfrow
ren...@skylands.net
http://www.alcasoft.com/renfrow/

Alison (Dudley) Forte

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, shelagh leggett wrote:

> In article <34746BB8...@paonline.com>, =?iso-
> 8859-1?q?Sharon_=D6dmann?= <sha...@paonline.com> writes
> >

> >Thanks for the recipes, they sound great, but I am curious about the ground
> >rice. I have never seen that in a recipe for baked goods before. Cooked, not
> >cooked? Long grain, regular? And how do you grind it? Food processor?
> >
> >I'm going to try one of the recipes.
> >
> >Sharon
> >

> Sharon,
> I've looked up my Anglo-American cookbook but can find no
> equivalent of ground rice. It's just something that is bought in a
> packet and readily available in shops here. You could substitute
> cornflour(cornstarch) or fine semolina(farina) or even just use all
> plain flour but the ground rice gives the shortbread a melt in the mouth
> texture. Hope this helps.
>
> Shelagh

It comes in a packet, which is in a box here, however they call it rice
flour. It is small, only 227g. (So needles to say I go through about
four boxes for the holidays.) It is hard to spot, but it is usually in
the isle with the flour. Bye for now!

TTYL
Alison ;-)

Alison (Dudley) Forte

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97
to kmcc...@freenet.npiec.on.ca

Shortbread Cookies (that melt in your mouth)

1 lb butter can not sub margarine
1 c. rice flour
1 c. berry sugar
4 c. flour
sprinkles or cherries (quartered or halfed)

Combine well and roll out. Cut with cookies cutters.
Poke gentlely with fork in the middle of the cookie,
place on cookie sheet and put on sprinkles or cherries.
Bake at 350 F for 10-12 minutes.

Note: A food processor does a real nice job, but only half
the ingrediants at a time seems to fit in mine. I use
red and green sprinkles as
I found that after a gathering one time I found cherries
all over. The sprinkles seem to go over better. After
the cookies are cut a stainless steel type spatula (flipper) scapes
them up without recking the design of the cookie too much.

Hope this is what you might be looking for.
Enjoy!

TTYL
Alison

Primary Email: <for...@cadvision.com>
Email: <ffo...@freenet.calgary.ab.ca>

On 19 Nov 1997 kmcc...@freenet.npiec.on.ca wrote:

> I need a good shortbread cookie recipe please!!!>
> thanks...

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Under an assumed identity, "Alison (Dudley) Forte" issued the following
statement:

>Shortbread Cookies (that melt in your mouth)
>
>1 lb butter can not sub margarine
>1 c. rice flour
>1 c. berry sugar
>4 c. flour
>sprinkles or cherries (quartered or halfed)

Can anyone tell me what berry sugar is?

And, Alison, are the cherries the candied type, like in fruitcake, or
maraschino, like in a Tom Collins, or some other kind?

Carol, the Perpetually Confused

To reply, replace "no-spam" with "visi"
Please visit my homepage at:
http://www.visi.com/~damsel/
Proud member of the RFC Web Ring

Lee Carter

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

>TTYL
>Alison ;-)

My grandmother's recipe has three cups of RICE flour....any store with
Oriental goods or ground a sweet short grain rice into flour.... three
cups of flour.... one pound of butter... check butter fat content--
the higher the rate the better... one cup of sugar.... the six cups
is a guessing game... Knead the sugar into the butter, then knead the
flours into the butter/sugar stuff until the texture of the dough is
no longer sticky... in the hot weather, you will use all the flour.
in the cold, you will use less.. Cook until golden brown in 350 degree
oven.

Lee Carter

this recipe was taught to my granny in her school days in Glasgow,
Scotland..
mo...@mail.well.com

Alison (Dudley) Forte

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97
to Damsel in dis Dress

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> >Shortbread Cookies (that melt in your mouth)
> >
> >1 lb butter can not sub margarine
> >1 c. rice flour
> >1 c. berry sugar
> >4 c. flour
> >sprinkles or cherries (quartered or halfed)
>
> Can anyone tell me what berry sugar is?
>
> And, Alison, are the cherries the candied type, like in fruitcake, or
> maraschino, like in a Tom Collins, or some other kind?
>
> Carol, the Perpetually Confused

Carol,

Berry sugar is very fine white sugar. Here I buy it in I think
500g box and find it in the isle with the other sugars and flours. As
for the cherries either are ok, but are a pain to cut up.

Also I forgot to mention that this is very short - shortbread. If
you don't have a food processor you will have to work and squeese
the dough through your fingers. Even with the processor you have
to scape it off the sides a couple of times and make it go again.

But its good. The kids are already after to me make soome. I
usually end up making about 4 batches.

Hope this helps.

TTYL
Alison

A.D. White

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

>In article <64tgon$rpu$1...@brain.npiec.on.ca>,
>kmcc...@freenet.npiec.on.ca writes
>>I need a good shortbread cookie recipe please!!!
>>
>>thanks...

Here is an extremely simple one. This is based on one I found in the Better
Homes New Cookbook.

2 and a half cups flour
6 tablespoons sugar
2 sticks butter, unsoftened

1. Preheat oven to 325 F.
2. Stir together the flour and sugar.
3. With cool hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients until it forms
a meal-like, crumby, mixture.
4. Keeping hands cool, knead the mixture into a smooth elastic dough.
5. Form the dough into a ball, wrap with plastic and put into the
refrigerator for twenty minutes.
6. Remove from refrigerator. Knead briefly. At this point you can:
a. Break off tablespoon size pieces, form into little balls and place
them on a greased cookie sheet.
b. Roll dough between parchment or wax paper into a 12 inch round,
cut into wedges and place on a greased cookie sheet.
c. Press into a greased tart pan and use as a base for a fruit tart
(I just constructed one using apples and apricot jam with my
students at school today).
7. Bake in the center of the oven for 25-30 minutes (even if using as tart
crust) or until lightly golden brown.
8. Let cookies cool on a rack.

Hope this is useful.

Scoop

David Lee

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

On Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:33:10
l...@total.net (ljstewart) wrote in Newsgroup: rec.food.baking
Subject: Quite possibly the best shortbread in the WORLD!

Hi all! I am new to this list and loving it.. I feel I
should contribute. This recipe is my Great-Grandmother's..

Grandma Brown's Shortbread
Pre heat oven to 450

I lb. butter
1 cup rice flour
1 cup corn starch
1 cup all purpose flour, or 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. pastry flour
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla ( optional)

I blend all of this in food processer, butter first then remaining
ingredients gradually.I've also done it by hand and I notice no
difference.
Spread in metal pan so its 1/4 inch thick. You can do it rectanguker pan
or pie plates for traditional wedges. If dough is too soft/sticky to
spread- chill in fridge til easier to manage. Put in oven and
reduce heat to 350. Bake for 30-35 min or until golden. Remove from oven
and prick all over with fork. Cut into squares while still warm. You
will not believe how good these are!