cooking with maple syrup?

1 view

JLove98905

Mar 5, 2001, 11:52:21 PM3/5/01
I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if anyone
had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to use it.
While I do like some dessert recipes, I'm really hoping for meal ideas.
Thanks in advance,
Jen
If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

Rob Novak

Mar 6, 2001, 3:07:24 PM3/6/01
"JLove98905" <jlove...@aol.com> wrote in message

> I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if
anyone
> had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to
use it.
> While I do like some dessert recipes, I'm really hoping for meal
ideas.

One word - beer. There's nothing like a good, dark porter or stout with
a hint of maple flavor in the aftertaste. ;-)

You could use it in a sweet-potato casserole. Boil the sweet potatoes
long enough to loosen the skins. Peel them and slice them. Dip the
slices in sugar and fry them up in a skillet with plenty of butter, just
so that the sugar carmelizes. Place in large glass baking dish, smother
with maple syrup and some brown sugar. Bake in a 350F oven until
tender. Top with some marshmallows in the last few minutes, if you
desire. It's a bit of work, but it's worth it.

little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- B. Franklin (Historical Review of PA)
http://ugotawanit.homepage.com

Ranee Mueller

Mar 6, 2001, 5:36:03 PM3/6/01
In article <20010305235221...@ng-mi1.aol.com>,
jlove...@aol.com (JLove98905) wrote:

> I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if
> anyone had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to use
> it.

Hi Jen,

I have a really nice recipe for pork barbecue that involves maple
syrup. My husband hates sweet with meat, but he loves this. Give me a
chance to get it and type it up.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Ranee's Recipe Site at http://saudichef.terrashare.com
Use saudichef as a referral, thanks!

genevieve

Mar 6, 2001, 7:13:09 PM3/6/01
I know you are looking for meal ideas but speaking of maple syrup I
can't help but thinking about this simple yet delicious dessert that I
had in Quebec sometimes ago. It is actually made with maple sugar, but I
tried it at home with maple syrup, whenever I had the best kind.
Simply soak stale brioche/other spongy bread with half-and-half or cream
if you like it creamier. Sometimes I lightly whipped it to give it a
little texture and let it soak for a few minutes. Sprinkle the syrup on
top of it (or maple sugar in the original recipe) and enjoy. A piece of
heaven...

Debbie

Mar 6, 2001, 8:58:22 PM3/6/01

"JLove98905" <jlove...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if
anyone
> had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to use
it.
> While I do like some dessert recipes, I'm really hoping for meal ideas.

These are from a very old Five Roses Flour cookbook. They assume that you
know something about cooking already as you will see when reading them.
Hope they will be a help to you. If you need help with baking temps and
times, check out a recipe for pecan pie to use as a guideline.

Maple Syrup Tarts

2 Tbsps. flour
1 egg (beaten light)
1 cup maple syrup
Butter size of a walnut
1 tsp vanilla

Moisten the flour with water. Mix ingredients together, and cook over hot
water tikl sightly thickened. Cool, then pour into tart shells and bake.
Mayh be covered with whipped cream or meringue made with egg white.

Maple Syrup Pie

1 cup maple syrup
1 1/2 cup raisins
1 lemon (rind and juice)
2 Tbsp. flour

Bake with 1 or 2 crusts.

Maple Syrup Pie

1 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup water
2 eggs (whites for frosting)
2 Tbsps. flour
Butter size of a walnut

Cook in double boiler. Bake the crust, then fill up with custard. Cover
with meringue.

mlw

Mar 6, 2001, 9:09:19 PM3/6/01
> "JLove98905" <jlove...@aol.com> wrote in message
> > I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if
> anyone
> > had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to
> use it.
> > While I do like some dessert recipes, I'm really hoping for meal
> ideas.

I have an old recipe for maple-cider roasted turkey that's too
long to put in here, but the maple-cider part is easy: 1 cup
maple to 3 cups cider, boil it down to 1 cup. Add butter, sage,
salt and pepper. Baste any bird that sits still long enough,
and roast.

I usually find this is too much for one bird, so divide it in
half after the butter goes in, and use the unherbed part for a
breakfast bread spread. Mmmmmmmm.

maxine in ri

weedfam.vcf

Martha Hughes

Mar 6, 2001, 9:27:40 PM3/6/01

JLove98905 <jlove...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if
anyone
> had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to use
it.
> While I do like some dessert recipes, I'm really hoping for meal ideas.
> Thanks in advance,
> Jen

I made sauteed carrots tonight using about 1 teas. brown mustard and 1
tblsp. honey, with some powdered ginger. They were great.

Cowdrey

Mar 7, 2001, 12:08:25 AM3/7/01
I've just posted a mess of recipes to rec.food.recipes that might appeal.
Will send a copy to you.

Robin

Randi

Mar 7, 2001, 7:41:21 PM3/7/01
Two things I do it maple syrup:

1. I use a tablespoon or two in Asian-type marinades. Not traditional, but
it goes well with sesame oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, scallions, etc.,
that are in the marinades I make.

2. I also use some maple syrup in bean-heavy dishes, like vegetarian chile.
It's a good counterpoint to heat. A good thing to put in the pot if you
taste and find you've made the dish a bit too spicy.

Dimitri

Mar 8, 2001, 3:05:40 PM3/8/01

"JLove98905" <jlove...@aol.com> wrote in message

The next time you make a cookie from a dough that is *sliced* and not
dropped *paint* the surface of the cookie with the syrup before baking. You
may not use a lot of syrup but you will eat a lot of cookies :-)

Dimitri

Ronda L. Carnicelli

Mar 8, 2001, 8:19:44 PM3/8/01
Here are my three favorite non-dessert maple syrup recipes:

*Maple-Apple Chicken*

cooking spray
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 T. maple syrup
2 T. red wine
2 tsp. honey mustard
1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
2 medium red apples, cored and sliced

In a medium skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken breasts
until tender and no pink remains, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a
plate and keep warm.

Combine the maple syrup, wine, mustard, and bouillon granules in the warm
skillet. Add the apple slices and cook over medium heat for 1 minute. Add
chicken breasts and continue cooking 1-2 minutes or until the apples are
tender. Serve immediately.

Yields: 4 servings
Preparation Time: 20 minutes

*Toasted Granola*

3 c. rolled oats
1 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. chopped almonds
1/3 c. chopped walnuts
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/3 c. orange juice
1/3 c. maple syrup
2 T. butter
1 c. chopped dried fruit

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, almonds, walnuts and
cinnamon. Mix to combine. Set aside.

In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, maple syrup and butter. Heat
over medium heat -- stirring constantly -- until the butter melts. Do not
allow the mixture to boil -- reduce or remove from the heat if necessary.

Pour the orange juice mixture over the oat mixture and toss to coat evenly.
Spread the mixture into an even layer on a large baking sheet and bake in
the preheated oven for 15 minutes -- mixing thoroughly after every 5
minutes. Cool the granola completely and add the dried fruit. Mix to combine
and store tightly sealed in a cool, dry place. The granola will store for
about 2 weeks on the pantry shelf and 6 weeks in the refrigerator.

Yields: about 6 cups
Preparation Time: 25 minutes

*Old Fashioned Corn Bread*

1 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. yellow cornmeal
1 c. milk
2 eggs -- beaten
1/4 c. maple syrup
1/4 c. butter -- melted

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the cornmeal and stir
until well mixed.

In another bowl combine the milk, eggs, maple syrup and the butter. Add the
liquids to the dry ingredients and stir just until all are moistened.

Pour the batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray
and bake about 20 minutes or until done in the center and lightly browned.
To test for doneness insert a toothpick or cake tester in the center. If it
comes out dry, the corn bread is done.

Yields: 12 servings
Preparation Time: 30 minutes

Enjoy!

Ronda L. Carnicelli
Editor-in-Chief, Seasoned Cooking
http://seasoned.com

Margie

Mar 13, 2001, 2:59:57 AM3/13/01
"JLove98905" <jlove...@aol.com> wrote in message
> I have lots of maple syrup around (the real kind). I was wondering if
anyone
> had any recipes that call for maple syrup, or other ideas for how to use
it.
> While I do like some dessert recipes, I'm really hoping for meal ideas.

well, its not a meal idea, but this is one of my very favorites cakes:

Walnut Maple Torte

For cake layers
1 cup walnuts
1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon boiling-hot water
1 1/2 sticks (1/8 cup) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 tablespoons pure maple syrup

For meringue frosting
2 large egg whites
1 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

Make cake layers:
Preheat oven to 350° F. and butter and flour two 8-inch round cake pans,
knocking out excess flour.

On a baking sheet toast walnuts in middle of oven until 1 shade darker,
about 8 minutes, and cool. In a food processor grind walnuts fine.

Into a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and a pinch salt. In a small
cup stir together espresso powder and water. In a large bowl with an
electric mixer beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy and add
eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in flour mixture,
espresso, walnuts, and oil until just combined.

Spoon batter into cake pans, smoothing tops, and bake in middle of oven
about 25 minutes, or until pale golden and a tester comes out clean. Cool
cake layers in pans on a rack 15 minutes. Run a thin knife around edges of
pans and invert cake layers onto rack to cool completely.

In a small bowl beat together cream cheese and 2 tablespoons maple syrup
until smooth.

Assemble torte:
Arrange 1 cake layer on an ovenproof serving plate and with a pastry brush
gently brush top with 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup. Spread cream cheese
mixture evenly onto layer and top with remaining layer. Brush top of torte
with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup. Torte may be prepared up to
this point 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring torte to room
temperature before proceeding.

Make frosting:
Let whites stand at room temperature 1 hour. In a 1-quart heavy saucepan
bring maple syrup to a boil over moderate heat and simmer until a candy
thermometer registers 235° F. (be careful it doesn't bubble over).

While maple syrup is simmering, in bowl of a standing electric mixer beat
whites with cream of tartar and a pinch salt until they just hold stiff
peaks. Add hot maple syrup in a stream, beating until meringue is thickened
and glossy, 1 to 2 minutes.

Preheat broiler.

Immediately frost torte with a narrow metal spatula, mounding extra meringue
on top and drawing it up with a fork to form peaks (see photograph, page
111). Broil torte about 4 inches from heat until tops of peaks are pale
golden, about 30 seconds. Let torte stand at room temperature 15 minutes
before serving.

Makes 1 torte.

Gourmet
April 1997