Sweet and Smoky Baked Beans

limey

Oct 24, 2004, 2:11:57 PM10/24/04
With all the talk about baked beans lately, I thought I'd post a recipe
posted by Kendall (K3) a number of years ago (where has he gone?). Also,
it's in the RFC cookbook.
They're the best:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sweet and Smoky Baked Beans

Recipe By :Kendall Stratton (K3)

2 1/2 cups navy beans
1 small onion -- peeled
1 chunk salt pork, about 1" cube
2 slices bacon -- chopped
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring (optional)

Method #1 - Cover dry beans and salt pork with cold water in a saucepan and
bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let it sit for 20 minutes.

Method #2 - Soak dried beans in cool water overnight. Add salt pork and
bring to a boil the next morning.

Drain the beans and salt pork and add it to the bean pot. Add the remaining
ingredients plus just enough water to cover the beans. Stir to mix all
ingredients. Cover and simmer at 250ºF. for six hours (Method #2) to 8
(Method #1) hours, stirring and adding water occasionally to keep beans
covered. Remove cover for last 30 minutes to remove excess water and let
the beans darken.

Dora
lime...@yahoo.com

jmcquown

Oct 26, 2004, 11:36:48 AM10/26/04
limey wrote:
> With all the talk about baked beans lately, I thought I'd post a
> recipe posted by Kendall (K3) a number of years ago (where has he
> gone?). Also, it's in the RFC cookbook.
> They're the best:

(snipped excellent recipe)
> Dora
> lime...@yahoo.com

I tried to get in touch with Kendall early this year; got one reply thanking
me for checking up on him, but with no real information. I figured I'd let
him alone for a while. It was a number of months later before I emailed him
again; the mail bounced back. IIRC he suffered from Lupus or some similar
health problem. I hope he's okay but can't tell you one way or the other.

Thanks for sharing the recipe for those who may not be familiar with Kendall
and his formerly frequent wonderful posts.

Jill

limey

Oct 26, 2004, 2:25:58 PM10/26/04

Thanks for cluing me in, Jill. I sincerely hope he's OK and hasn't
permanently disappeared.

Dora