Traumatized!

1 view

Goomba

Nov 17, 2001, 2:58:43 PM11/17/01
I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.) I
offered to bring anything at all...? I was asked (or is that told?) to
bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
pie..."
It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
<sigh>
Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
Goomba

Nancy Young

Nov 17, 2001, 3:09:31 PM11/17/01

Goomba wrote:

> Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
> assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
> Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
> Goomba

(smile) Goomba, grin and bear it. They don't want a different version.
How about bring two versions, or maybe something else along with it
that you like? But they want just what they asked for. Consider it
a 'hostess' gift.

I have kind of a worse problem I have to fix. My mother said, oh good,
you're coming for Thanksgiving! Lisa (my sil) is making the turkey and
stuffing. Foot in mouth disease kicked in and I said Oh No! I want
your stuffing, you have to make stuffing.

I hung up and immediately started kicking myself around the room. I
have now just insulted my sil and I don't even know if she makes good
stuffing. What an insult. I have to call either my mother or my sil
or both to straighten this out. At any rate, maybe that demonstrates
how someone would want what they grew up with on Thanksgiving.

nancy (and don't bother asking about my mother's recipe, it's really
nothing special ... see what I mean?)

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 17, 2001, 3:11:15 PM11/17/01
Goomba <goom...@home.com> wrote:

>I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
>that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.) I
>offered to bring anything at all...? I was asked (or is that told?) to
>bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
>top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
>dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
>pie..."

I would secretly buy a turkey and stuff for the fixin's, then call at the
last minute to tell them you're too sick to come, and sit and enjoy a
*good* meal at your place. Well, I might not actually do that, but it
would be tempting.

I'm sorry I don't have a recipe for you. If you do wind up making this
stuff with soup, try cream of onion, if it's available where you live.
Much tastier than that nasty cream of mushroom.

Next year, investigate your Thanksgiving friends more closely before
accepting an invitation. ;-)

Damsel
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 17, 2001, 3:15:18 PM11/17/01
Nancy Young <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote:

>How about bring two versions, or maybe something else along with it
>that you like?

If you decide to bring two dishes, here's one that we're making for
Thanksgiving this year. It's become an annual thing at our house:

Green Beans with Hazelnuts and Lemon

Recipe By :Gourmet Magazine
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : vegetables side dishes

1 1/2 pounds green beans -- trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest -- freshly grated
1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts -- chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to 8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while still hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made 1 day
ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a microwave.

Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
Copyright:
"November 1995"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Peter Betancourt

Nov 17, 2001, 3:18:37 PM11/17/01

Maybe this will work for you. I'd also take a nice freshly made dessert
even though it would seem rude to us ettiquette mavens, I've found few
young folks will ever turn down a great dessert. Might I suggest a
lovely bread pudding (made with dried cranberrys or cherrys) with
bourbon sauce and whipped cream? Ellen

Green Bean Cassarole
6 cups blanched frenched green beans
1 pint sour cream
2 tbsp water
1 tsp Crushed red pepper flakes
4 strips bacon, fried crisp and broken into pieces.
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Pepper to taste
2 cups parmesan
4 oz sliced mushrooms, browned in a bit of butter
3 green onions, chopped

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix sour cream, worchestershire sauce, 1 1/2 cups parmasan cheese,
pepper flakes and pepper. Stir in bacon, mushrooms and green onions. Add
green beans and mix thoroughly.

Pour green beans in a 9x13 casserole, which has been buttered. Top with
the rest of the parmesan. Bake at 350, until top begins to brown, 20-30
minutes. If the green beans are bubbling, but the cheese isn't browning,
turn it on broil for just a second.

Let set for 10-15 minutes before serving.

Jill McQuown

Nov 17, 2001, 3:13:16 PM11/17/01
"Goomba" <goom...@home.com> wrote in message

Oh come on, Goomba! *Think* about it! Green beans with fresh sliced
mushrooms baked in a simple bechamel sauce. I'd certainly forget the canned
onions on the top (you can say the store ran out). Might grate some fresh
Parmesan into it before baking it and top with... hmmm, toasted slivered
almonds?

Jill

SiouxieQ

Nov 17, 2001, 3:13:54 PM11/17/01
In article <3BF6C221...@home.com>, Goomba <goom...@home.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
> assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
> Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
> Goomba

Maybe you'd feel better if you made your own cream of mushroom soup? I
know it's still 'cream of', but you know what went into it. ;)

In the end, it really would be best to abide the couple's wishes. You
did offer. Doesn't mean you hafta eat it and it's pretty cheap to
assemble. Maybe you can bring something extra that you yourself would
actually eat too while introducing the young couple to something new. :)

Toodles,

Ness

bob

Nov 17, 2001, 3:33:51 PM11/17/01

"Peter Betancourt" <pe...@sportkite.com> wrote in message

Peter,
you beat me to it, and yours sounds MUCH better than what I woulda come up
with.(<:
bob in fla

The Cook

Nov 17, 2001, 3:59:09 PM11/17/01
Goomba <goom...@home.com> wrote:

This makes something similar to the green bean casserole. Dreamed it
up when I did not want to use the usual. Fresh marjoram and fresh
green beans are even better.

Susan N.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Green Beans With Mushrooms

Recipe By : Susan Ness
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables Vegetarian

1/2 cup onion -- sliced
1/2 cup mushroom -- sliced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon marjoram -- dry
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 tablespoon flour, all-purpose
1 cup milk
4 cups green beans, canned -- drained

Saute onion and mushroom in the olive oil.
Add the marjoram
Add butter and let melt
Add flour
Stir until flour is cooked.
Add milk carefully and keep stirring until it makes a sauce.
Add beans and cook until hot.
Add salt & pepper to taste.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 110 Calories; 4g Fat (33.6%
calories from fat); 5g Protein; 15g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber;
9mg Cholesterol; 655mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 2
Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

val189

Nov 17, 2001, 4:06:03 PM11/17/01
This is no big deal - you're lucky to have an invite. We have no family in
the area and usually just go out to eat. I would love to have an invite and
would gladly make the green bean thing. Just go and have a good time.
Val

Default User

Nov 17, 2001, 4:00:12 PM11/17/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> I would secretly buy a turkey and stuff for the fixin's, then call at the
> last minute to tell them you're too sick to come, and sit and enjoy a
> *good* meal at your place. Well, I might not actually do that, but it
> would be tempting.

See, I can't agree with you there. I'd rather eat crappy Thanksgiving
dinner with friends and family, than a great one alone. Not that I
anticipate a bad meal!

I have plenty of opportunity to eat what I want by myself, I'll take my
chances on the family gathering any time. I've snarfed down plenty of
overdone burgers in my time, to be with gang. When I host the events, I
can do things the way I want, but I never question or complain about
someone else's efforts, as long as they were sincere.

Brian Rodenborn

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 17, 2001, 4:28:26 PM11/17/01
Default User <munged....@boeing.com> wrote:

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>

>> I'd secretly buy a turkey and stuff for the fixin's, then call at the

>> last minute to tell them you're too sick to come, and sit and enjoy a
>> *good* meal at your place. Well, I might not actually do that, but it
>> would be tempting.
>
>See, I can't agree with you there. I'd rather eat crappy Thanksgiving
>dinner with friends and family, than a great one alone.

See, I'm a raging introvert in real life. Being around a lot of people
(more than 2) is very stressful for me. So, the meal becomes my focal
point. If the meal sucks, it's been a bad day.

My favorite Thanksgiving of all time was a couple of years ago, with just
Crash and me. Although, we've tried to carry on a tradition that my
parents had, to invite people who had no one to share dinner with.

This year, we're serving dinner to two different sets of people. My
daughter and her boyfriend are coming over at 10pm on Wednesday, after they
get off work (the boyfriend has to work on Thanksgiving). Then, we have a
family of four (they don't cook) coming over on Thanksgiving Day.

There will be no green beans in mushroom soup with onion crunchies!

WardNA

Nov 17, 2001, 4:50:25 PM11/17/01
>with the little french fried onions

a "french fried onion"? What the hell is that?

Sounds to me like a good opportunity to invent something worth eating: lightly
steamed green beans, herbed with rosemary and thyme and with batter-fried onion
rings scattered on top just before serving.

Neil

Deb

Nov 17, 2001, 5:32:02 PM11/17/01
val189 wrote:

> This is no big deal - you're lucky to have an invite. We have no family in
> the area and usually just go out to eat. I would love to have an invite and
> would gladly make the green bean thing. Just go and have a good time.

Have you thought of inviting people over? That's one of the ways you
make friends in a place where you have no family. BTDT. We haven't
lived near family for 18 years, and we are never alone on a holiday.
Try making the first move.

Deb

PENMART01

Nov 17, 2001, 5:55:36 PM11/17/01

Be thankful you received an invitation for the Holiday. While you're enjoying
your dinner in the company of fine folks keep in mind that many will spend it
alone.

GREEN BEANS WITH MUSHROOM-MADEIRA SAUCE

Remember the green bean casserole made with nothing but convenience
ingredients: frozen or canned green beans, canned cream of mushroom soup and,
for the topping, canned fried onions? Here it is again, only fresher and
better.

3 tablespoons butter
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
6 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons chopped shallots
1/2 cup Madeira
1 cup whipping cream

1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed

Vegetable oil (for deep-frying)
2 large leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced crosswise

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all
mushrooms and thyme; sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons shallots; sauté until
mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Add Madeira and simmer until almost all
liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add cream and simmer until slightly
thickened, about 2 minutes. Set sauce aside. Cook beans in large pot of boiling
salted water until just tender, 5 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice
water; cool. Drain. (Sauce and beans can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover
separately; chill.)

Pour enough oil into large deep saucepan to reach depth of 4 inches. Heat oil
to 350°F. Place 1/4 of leeks in small metal strainer. Lower strainer into oil;
fry until golden, 40 seconds. Lift strainer from oil. Drain leeks on paper
towels. Repeat with remaining leeks in 3 more batches. Season leeks with salt.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and
remaining 1 tablespoon shallots; toss to heat through. Season with salt and
pepper. Place beans on platter.

Bring sauce to simmer. Spoon sauce over beans. Sprinkle with fried leeks.

Makes 6 servings.

Bon Appétit
September 1999

Reviews:

Carol McE ( rngrs...@earthlink.net ) from Elk Grove, CA on 08/07/01
I tried this recipe because I have a huge surplus of fresh green beans from my
garden, and it was great! I had a can of the fried onion rings on hand so I
used those instead of frying the leeks, and even my picky kids liked it.

A Cook from Charlotte, NC on 04/03/01
I made this dish for a Valentine's dinner party. It was easy to make earlier in
the day and chill separately, then quickly reheat for the party. I fried the
leeks in advance and stored them loosely covered. It was a very delicious and
interesting dish.

A Cook from Scottsdale, AZ on 01/14/01
This was SO good. No need to ponder this one. Just make it! You will not be
disappointed. If you want to make it easier, you can leave out the fried leeks.
I'm sure it is delicious w/them, but it is plenty delicious without them as
well.

A Cook from Manassas, VA on 01/03/01
Best green bean dish I have ever made.

A Cook from St. George, UT on 01/03/01
This recipe is much better than the old Campbells Soup standby. I used Port in
the sauce instead of Madeira since that's what I had on hand and it was great.
A little sauce went a long way - very rich, but tasty.

A Cook from n.h. on 01/02/01
was very good!!!!, left out the leeks thou, because of time

A Cook from San Diego, CA on 01/01/01
Talk about yummy! The mushroom sauce would be great on top of a meat dish as
well. Make sure you use the French Green beans for a more elegant finish. Way
better than the Campbells stuff

A Cook from Kensington, Maryland on 12/28/00
This was outstanding and simple to make! I got rave reviews. It was easy to
prepare ahead. I wouldn't change a thing!!

A Cook from Los Angeles, CA on 12/24/00
I made this for Thanksgiving and plan to make it again for Christmas dinner. It
was absolutely wonderful and was so much better than the bean casserole. After
having this, I won't ever make the casserole dish again! Everyone loved it!!

A Cook from Medford, New jersey on 11/25/00
An excellent dish and an attractive presentation. We served it as one of the
representatives of the "Three Sisters" at our Thanksgiving dinner 2000 (Corn,
Squash and Beans). We topped it with the deep fried leek slices, which became
hundreds of leek rings when they hit the hot oil. Everyone enjoyed the dish and
we will add it to our list of favorites.

A Cook from Phoenix, AZ on 07/19/00
I am always looking for interesting vegetable dishes and this definitely fills
the bill. I did not use the leeks and it was great. Some of the guests even
liked dipping their bread in the sauce. I served it with the salt-encrusted
beef tenderloin and twice-baked potatoes. It was a wonderful meal enjoyed by
all.

A Cook from Pennsylvania on 01/05/00
This ones a keeper.Everyone at our dinner party was raving. The advanced prep
is a real plus when there's so many other tempermental dishes demanding your
last minute attention.

Jo Miller ( mmfl...@mindspring.com ) from Atlanta, GA on 11/27/99
Very happy with this recipe. Even my teenage son liked it! I, like the 1st
reviewer, did not have enough time to include the leeks but it was still
excellent. I will try the leeks next time though- I can see that they would
make for a fully rounded dish.

Bob Rodewald ( robertt...@earthlink.net ) from Leesburg, Virginia on
11/22/99 Really delicious, and a great turn on an old favorite. It works better
than you can imagine for Thanksgiving dinner, just don't tell your guests what
you're making until they taste it. Then watch them eat.

A Cook from Norwalk, CT on 09/26/99
At a recent dinner club party, this recipe was served as a side dish. It was
excellent. The cook decided not to use the sauted leeks, and they were not
missed. She made the sauce and beans ahead of the party, and warmed it in the
microwave at the party.
---

Sheldon
````````````

Sheryl Rosen

Nov 17, 2001, 7:07:45 PM11/17/01
In article <3BF6C221...@home.com>, Goomba <goom...@home.com>
wrote:

Goomba,
I'm with the majority here.
Bring what they asked. But also, bring something that you like. There is
no law that says you can't have more than one green bean casserole on
the table. Some like the mushroom soup stuff, some like something else.

If you honestly don't care for it, tell the truth.

"Here, Jane--this is the green bean casserole you asked for. But you
know, I don't really care for mushroom soup. So I made this green bean
dish, too! I think you'll enjoy them both."

And make something that you enjoy, like (perhaps) the green beans with
walnut oil and walnuts that I have posted many, many times. (It's based
on a Bon Appetit recipe that is found in Epicurious.com, but I tweaked
it considerably, making it my own. My recipe is gonna be in the RFC
Cookbook).

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Herbed Walnut Green Beans

Recipe By : Sheryl Rosen
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Vegetables sheryl's
Side Dishes

2 pounds green beans -- trimmed

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons walnut oil
1 cup chopped walnuts -- toasted
1 tablespoon Parisian Bonnes Herbes**
1 shallot** -- minced

Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about
5
minutes. Drain. Rinse beans with cold water and drain well. (Can be
prepared 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.) (if using
frozen,
just defrost under warm water and drain well).

Melt butter with oil in heavy large skillet over high heat. **(Reduce
heat and
cook shallots until transparent, being very careful not to scorch them.
Add
Bonnes Herbes and stir). Add beans, increase heat back to high and toss
until heated through, about 4 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper
seasoning to taste. Add walnuts and and toss. Transfer to bowl and
serve.

**Note: Sunny Paris may be substituted for Parisian Bonnes
Herbes and fresh shallots. If using Sunny Paris blend, sprinkle about 2
tablespoons over the beans and cook as directed above.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 185 Calories; 15g Fat (68%
calories from fat); 6g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 36mg
Sodium

_____

--
Sheryl

zxcvbob

Nov 17, 2001, 7:07:23 PM11/17/01
I was thinkin' the same thing, although I *would* probably put the
canned fried onions on top since the hostess requested it. You can
scrape 'em off of your portion. I'd also bring a bottle or two of
Beaujolais Nouveau if its in yet.
Best regards, Bob

PENMART01

Nov 17, 2001, 7:15:56 PM11/17/01
Deb <d...@home.com> writes:

Your's is not a very realistic solution andsounds more like a holier-than-thou
sermon. Most people one meets, even at their jobs already have family and
friends to spend holidays with, they are not going to go elsewhere to someone
they hardly know instead and are not not going to so readily offer a total
stranger an invitation. I know, there are exceptions, but they are few and far
between. Here we're talking couples ("we") but for singles alone the holidays
are far more difficult. From reading Val's post I can tell that she has
already considered all possibilities. Whereabouts do you live, Val... perhaps
some rfc'er will contact you.

Maybe after the cookbook project is out of the way RFC will consider
instituting a Hospitality Committee, with one of it's functions being to see to
it that as much as humanly possible no RFC'er needs to spend holiday dinners
alone... shouldn't be too very difficult for the committee to match up those
seeking folks with which to spend holidays and assist putting them together,
and to maintain a list of those who are not alone but would consider an
additional table setting or two... or something to that effect. Just an idea.

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 17, 2001, 7:41:36 PM11/17/01
In article <3BF6D13B...@bellsouth.net>, val189 <gweh...@bellsouth.net>
writes:

>This is no big deal - you're lucky to have an invite. We have no family in
>the area and usually just go out to eat. I would love to have an invite and
>would gladly make the green bean thing. Just go and have a good time.
>Val

You might want to do like Ken is doing and help at one of the kitchens serving
to the poor and homeless. Or you could call a senior center and see if they
have a couple people that will be alone and invite them to your house. Visit a
nursing home, etc. My favorite Holidays have been the ones my Daughter and I
were "alone". We found so many new ways to make them special.
Vickie

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 17, 2001, 7:41:37 PM11/17/01
In article <3BF6C3FB...@mail.monmouth.com>, Nancy Young
<qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> writes:

>(smile) Goomba, grin and bear it. They don't want a different version.
>How about bring two versions, or maybe something else along with it
>that you like? But they want just what they asked for. Consider it
>a 'hostess' gift.
>
>I have kind of a worse problem I have to fix. My mother said, oh good,
>you're coming for Thanksgiving! Lisa (my sil) is making the turkey and
>stuffing. Foot in mouth disease kicked in and I said Oh No! I want
>your stuffing, you have to make stuffing.
>
>I hung up and immediately started kicking myself around the room. I
>have now just insulted my sil and I don't even know if she makes good
>stuffing. What an insult. I have to call either my mother or my sil
>or both to straighten this out. At any rate, maybe that demonstrates
>how someone would want what they grew up with on Thanksgiving.
>
>nancy (and don't bother asking about my mother's recipe, it's really
> nothing special ... see what I mean?)

We always go to my SIL Aunt and Uncle's for Thanksgiving. It has always been
good until last year. Aunt and Uncle divorced. Uncle kept house and his Son
and DIL live with him. Last year DIL cooked. Stove Top Stuffing, 12 Pkts gravy
mix (they dumped out the drippings), no vegetables, Instant Mashed Potatoes,
cold pacjaged rolls, fake margarine, Cool Whip. I think you get the picture. I
would have everybody here but can't fit 25 people into my 1 bedroom apartment.
I don't even have a table. Had not heard SIL's Mother mention Thanksgiving so I
was going to cook at my daughter's house for her family of 4 and me. Got the
call yesterday. Thanksgiving is on at Uncles's house. We have to go to save
feelings but next week we are going to have our own Thanksgiving. Christmas
will be at SIL Parents house. Ham, store bought potato and macaroni salads,
potato chips, cold rolls, and fruit cocktail with colored marshmallows. I sure
wish I still had my house. Then I could do it my way once in a while.
Vickie

Message has been deleted

Hag & Stenni

Nov 17, 2001, 11:15:09 PM11/17/01
On 18 Nov 2001 00:15:56 GMT, penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote:

snip

>Maybe after the cookbook project is out of the way RFC will consider
>instituting a Hospitality Committee, with one of it's functions being to see to
>it that as much as humanly possible no RFC'er needs to spend holiday dinners
>alone... shouldn't be too very difficult for the committee to match up those
>seeking folks with which to spend holidays and assist putting them together,
>and to maintain a list of those who are not alone but would consider an
>additional table setting or two... or something to that effect. Just an idea.
>

>Sheldon
>````````````
>"Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

That sounds like a wonderful idea Sheldon....We have an open door
policy during the holidays, and really pretty much year arround...We
have a Horde of single young servicemen, and a few young couples
comming this thanksgiving...We make sure to invite everyone we come
into contact w/ and also ask them to invite anyone that they know who
would not have a place fo go, or would just like to come. If there is
anybody in our neck of the wood (Okinawa Japan) the door is open, and
your welcome to come on over, for thanksgiving, or just anytime you
feel like a bit of company from the fellow food obsessed...LOL..Hag &
the Sten-One

My golden rules

1. If it dosnt taste good or get you laid dont do it (apply your own criteria)
2. If it smells bad dont eat it.
3. When life hands you shit Grow roses!

Can the Spam to reply

Denise~*

Nov 17, 2001, 11:41:13 PM11/17/01
On 18 Nov 2001 00:41:37 GMT, ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) wrote:

>and DIL live with him. Last year DIL cooked. Stove Top Stuffing, 12 Pkts gravy
>mix (they dumped out the drippings), no vegetables, Instant Mashed Potatoes,
>cold pacjaged rolls, fake margarine, Cool Whip. I think you get the picture. I

sounds familiar.

When I was young my mom invited "Friends of the family" to our house
for T-dinner. All she asked is for the mother to bring a fruit salad.
My mom was doing all the rest, and when my mom cooks, she COOKS. All
home-made & wonderful food. The lady brought a can of fruit cocktail.

Denise

Edwin Pawlowski

Nov 18, 2001, 12:07:02 AM11/18/01

> I was asked (or is that told?) to
> bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
> top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest!

You have no choice but to be blunt and hones. Call and tell them you can't
do the green bean thing and instead you will be bringing the sweet potatoes
with marshmallows.
Ed
e...@snet.net
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

PENMART01

Nov 18, 2001, 12:41:24 AM11/18/01
In article <apeevt81qlnirs28l...@4ax.com>, Denise~*
<den...@nexuscomputing.com> writes:

>When I was young my mom invited "Friends of the family" to our house
>for T-dinner. All she asked is for the mother to bring a fruit salad.
>My mom was doing all the rest, and when my mom cooks, she COOKS. All
>home-made & wonderful food. The lady brought a can of fruit cocktail.

So? That's it? I don't get it. What's the joke?

MareCat

Nov 18, 2001, 12:17:36 PM11/18/01
"val189" <gweh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> This is no big deal - you're lucky to have an invite. We have no family
in
> the area and usually just go out to eat. I would love to have an invite
and
> would gladly make the green bean thing. Just go and have a good time.
> Val

We live in Houston, and neither of us has any family in Texas. We end up
spending Thanksgiving every year with friends who also have no family to
spend it with. We know lots of other "transplanted yankees" down here who
are in the same boat.

Mary

Jean B.

Nov 18, 2001, 2:49:29 PM11/18/01
Goomba wrote:

> I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
> that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.) I
> offered to bring anything at all...? I was asked (or is that told?) to

> bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
> top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
> dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
> pie..."
> It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
> that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
> <sigh>
> Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
> assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
> Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
> Goomba

Ah. Here that thread is. See my post above under green bean
something or other.

Jean B.

Jack and Kay Hartman

Nov 18, 2001, 10:20:34 PM11/18/01
On Sat, 17 Nov 2001 19:58:43 GMT, Goomba <goom...@home.com> wrote:

>I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
>that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.) I
>offered to bring anything at all...? I was asked (or is that told?) to
>bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
>top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
>dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
>pie..."
>It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
>that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
><sigh>

You missed your opportunity. When they asked you could have said,
"Gee, I'm sorry but I don't know how to make that." It would be true,
I'll bet. I don't know how to make it. I could learn pretty easily
but I chose not to.

>Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
>assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
>Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!

Since you missed your only really good chance, it seems like you're
obligated. I'm with those who say that you should bring it. It's
what they want. But bring something you want and bring a dessert too.
I know someone is bringing a pecan pie but I thought a pumpkin (or
apple or whatever) would compliment it nicely.

My brother insists on the sweet potatoes with marshmallows. My mother
makes it for him and brings it over. I won't touch it. My brother
wants Cool Whip. I make him bring his own. Some people want what
they want.

Kay

Jamie Utter

Nov 19, 2001, 12:11:48 AM11/19/01

"Jean B." wrote:

I saw that thread and copied the recipe.

Make Jean B's recipe, Goomba. Act like you figured it was what
they really wanted but didn't have the smarts to ask for. Bring along
a can of that cranberry sauce shaped exactly like the can. That ought
to have them dancing on the table.

See who's eyebrows go up when they taste the real thing.

Jamie

> Jean B.

aec

Nov 19, 2001, 11:25:09 AM11/19/01
penm...@aol.como (PENMART01) wrote in message news:<20011117191556...@nso-fc.aol.com>...

Excellent idea!
Anyone passing through Paris on Thanksgiving...feel free to contact
me. Or anytime of the year for that matter. Of course anyone passing
through Paris is unlikely to be at a loose end for something to do,
but it's an offer.
However, I don't do that "trailer trash" food - can't get the
ingredients...!
Anne

Donna Pattee

Nov 19, 2001, 12:39:06 PM11/19/01
In article <3BF6C221...@home.com>, Goomba <goom...@home.com> wrote:
>I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
>that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.) I
>offered to bring anything at all...? I was asked (or is that told?) to
>bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
>top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
>dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
>pie..."
>It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
>that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
><sigh>
>Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
>assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
>Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
>Goomba

Why not saute fresh sliced mushrooms and some shallots, then make a white
sauce with them in it? You could add a splash of white wine to the sauce
and maybe some fresh dill or a breath of nutmeg. I would use petite baby
green beans (probably frozen since the "fresh" ones look pretty limp)
rather than either canned or frozen French-cut beans. You could sprinkle
freshly-grated parmesan on top of the casserole and then take along a
can of french-fried onion rings for those who can't eat green beans without
them.

Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice

Nov 19, 2001, 3:56:47 PM11/19/01
Goomba <goom...@home.com> gobbled in message

> I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
> that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.)

I hope you trip and fall into the vat of HOT oil!!! BURN YOU SICKO,
BURN!!!

> I offered to bring anything at all...?

If I were in charge you'd bring a toothbush, because I'd be sending
you off to the big house you putrid scab on the world!!

I was asked (or is that told?) to
> bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
> top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
> dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
> pie..."

That sound good, could you possibly drop some of those things off at
my pen after you KILL more inocent creatures?

> It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
> that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
> <sigh>

HA HA!! HEE HEE!!

> Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
> assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
> Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
> Goomba

Chop off your feet and then beat yourself to death with them you
senseless murderer!!

**
Hugs and plucks on the butt, Bertrice

WWS

Nov 19, 2001, 5:55:06 PM11/19/01

Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice wrote:

> Goomba <goom...@home.com> gobbled in message
>
> > I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
> > that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.)
>
> I hope you trip and fall into the vat of HOT oil!!! BURN YOU SICKO,
> BURN!!!

Don't mind Bertrice, I LOVE deep fried Turkey! That's a real treat!
I'd drive a long way for a deep fried Turkey.

> > I offered to bring anything at all...?
>
> If I were in charge you'd bring a toothbush, because I'd be sending
> you off to the big house you putrid scab on the world!!

I think Bertrice has "issues". Don't be surprised, this IS Usenet, after all.

> I was asked (or is that told?) to
> > bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
> > top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
> > dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
> > pie..."
>
> That sound good, could you possibly drop some of those things off at
> my pen after you KILL more inocent creatures?

Innocent, my ass, that's what you turkeys said about Mumia. Truly
innocent Turkeys get pardoned, like Liberty Turkey did today. (1)

For the rest, what's the good of letting them sit in some state pen for
the rest of time, getting fat and living the easy life, no work, plenty
of hen scratch? I say they've been judged, and it's time for sentence
to be carried out! DON'T TRY TO SUBVERT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE!!!!

> > It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
> > that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
> > <sigh>
>
> HA HA!! HEE HEE!!

That's what your President said when he pardoned that turkey today. Although
I think he was thinking of all the other turkeys instead when he giggled.

> > Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
> > assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
> > Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
> > Goomba

personally, I'd go to a good take out cafeteria, pick up a plate or
two, spoon them into a serving dish and say it was "Grandma's sekrit
recipe". Works every time.

> Chop off your feet and then beat yourself to death with them you
> senseless murderer!!

It's a lot more fun to chop off the Turkey's feet and then give them
to the dog, the dog looks hilarious running around the yard with a
big Turkey's foot sticking out of his mouth. He won't let go of it
either, I'm warnin' ya!

Don't try to snatch it, you'll lose an arm, boy!
--

__________________________________________________WWS_____________

(1)
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/bw-wh/2001/nov/19/111901828.html

this story today is proof that THE SYSTEM WORKS DAMMIT!

Nov 19, 2001, 7:02:18 PM11/19/01
Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice wrote:

> I hope you trip and fall into the vat of HOT oil!!! BURN YOU SICKO,
> BURN!!!

Hole! Whatchoo doing over in RFC? I thought the only thing Servoites
could make was sammiches.

Brian Rodenborn

Lori

Nov 19, 2001, 7:26:59 PM11/19/01

And grape jelly. Don't forget the grape jelly!

</shameless plug>

++
Lori

blake murphy

Nov 20, 2001, 1:25:49 AM11/20/01
On Sun, 18 Nov 2001 05:07:02 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <e...@snet.net>
wrote:

droll, ed, very droll.

your pal,
blake

Nov 20, 2001, 11:25:20 AM11/20/01
Lori wrote:

> Default User <munged....@boeing.com> wrote:

> >Hole! Whatchoo doing over in RFC? I thought the only thing Servoites
> >could make was sammiches.
>
> And grape jelly. Don't forget the grape jelly!

Oh yeah, I forgetted. How'd that turn out?

Brian Rodenborn (since I'm still using this damn Netscape newsreader, I
really ought to put this into a .sig. It's almost impossible for me to
type my entire name without at least one typo. It's so long, and I get
going so fast that the left/right coordination gets messed up. Here are
some examples, I'm going to type it fast, trying not to make mistakes,
just letting them flow. Brian Rodenbonr Brian Rodneborn Birna Rodenbonr
Brina Rodenborn. See what I mean?)

Lori

Nov 20, 2001, 1:42:00 PM11/20/01

>Lori wrote:
>>
>> Default User <munged....@boeing.com> wrote:
>
>> >Hole! Whatchoo doing over in RFC? I thought the only thing Servoites
>> >could make was sammiches.
>>
>> And grape jelly. Don't forget the grape jelly!
>
>Oh yeah, I forgetted. How'd that turn out?

Just ask J. or Bessie - they've already tried it.

We had one batch turn out a little runny because we added a bit too much
water (technically it was my HUSBAND that did it, but I watched), but
otherwise it's pretty good.

>Brian Rodenborn (since I'm still using this damn Netscape newsreader, I
>really ought to put this into a .sig. It's almost impossible for me to
>type my entire name without at least one typo. It's so long, and I get
>going so fast that the left/right coordination gets messed up. Here are
>some examples, I'm going to type it fast, trying not to make mistakes,
>just letting them flow. Brian Rodenbonr Brian Rodneborn Birna Rodenbonr
>Brina Rodenborn. See what I mean?)

Sure thing, Brina.

++
Lori

"It could very well be that angels are watching you when
you poop, honey, but I'd hope they would turn away at
that point." - Tyler's "Religion for Kiddies 101"

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 20, 2001, 1:52:36 PM11/20/01

>Brian Rodenborn (since I'm still using this damn Netscape newsreader, I
>really ought to put this into a .sig. It's almost impossible for me to
>type my entire name without at least one typo. It's so long, and I get
>going so fast that the left/right coordination gets messed up. Here are
>some examples, I'm going to type it fast, trying not to make mistakes,
>just letting them flow. Brian Rodenbonr Brian Rodneborn Birna Rodenbonr
>Brina Rodenborn. See what I mean?)

Well, you *could* change, "Default User" to your name, and then you could
just sign off as Brian. Or Brain. Or somethin'.

Damsel
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/
Culinary FAQs, RFC Cook-Ins, Birthdays,
Signature Dishes, Chat Channel
DALnet #rec.food.cooking

Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice

Nov 20, 2001, 5:06:21 PM11/20/01
WWS <wsch...@tyler.net> gobbled in message

> Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice wrote:
> >

> > Goomba <goom...@home.com> gobbled in message
> >
> > > I'm going to go over to this young couples home for Thanksgiving. I know
> > > that the turkey is going to be deep fried (which I love,by the way.)
> >
> > I hope you trip and fall into the vat of HOT oil!!! BURN YOU SICKO,
> > BURN!!!
>
> Don't mind Bertrice, I LOVE deep fried Turkey! That's a real treat!
> I'd drive a long way for a deep fried Turkey.

You've demonstrated that you're as bloodthirsty as this Goomba
person!! I hope the excess HOT oil that is due to scold Goomba spills
forth with such intensity that it reaches you in the armpit of a state
you call home. BURN YOU SICKOS, BURN!!!

> > > I offered to bring anything at all...?
> >

> > If I were in charge you'd bring a toothbrush, because I'd be sending

> > you off to the big house you putrid scab on the world!!
>

> I think Bertrice has "issues". Don't be surprised, this IS Usenet, after all.

UNGOBBLE YOU!!

> > I was asked (or is that told?) to
> > > bring "that green bean casserole with the little french fried onions on
> > > top" No, no..I can bring anything, honest! Fresh pies.. let me bring
> > > dessert! "No, someone else is stopping off at a store to buy a pecan
> > > pie..."
> >

> > That sound good, could you possibly drop some > > of those things off at my pen after you KILL

> > more innocent creatures?

> Innocent, my ass, that's what you turkeys said about Mumia. Truly
> innocent Turkeys get pardoned, like Liberty Turkey did today. (1)

Liberty and Freedom are well known in the turkey community to be
traitors, they sold out an entire flock of wild turkeys in Vermont. I
hope they bus in some fat kids to the petting zoo and 1 or 2 of them
falls on Liberty.

> For the rest, what's the good of letting them sit in some state pen for
> the rest of time, getting fat and living the easy life, no work, plenty
> of hen scratch? I say they've been judged, and it's time for sentence
> to be carried out! DON'T TRY TO SUBVERT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE!!!!

Ah, but how many of *the people* will perish while driving home from
their relatives homes after succumbing to tryptophane? I imagine many
of them will need to be scrapped off the sides of the road. Yes? HA!
We will have some sense of revenge.

> > > It's not looking good here folks. I'm getting depressed. I don't "do"
> > > that green bean casserole. It's not in my heritage or family traditions.
> > > <sigh>
> >
> > HA HA!! HEE HEE!!
>
> That's what your President said when he pardoned that turkey today. Although
> I think he was thinking of all the other turkeys instead when he giggled.

HE'S NOT MY PRESIDENT, BECAUSE HE REFUSES TO GIVE ME AND MY KIND
VOTING RIGHTS.

> > > Does anyone have version that would make me feel better about this
> > > assignment? Something maybe that doesn't use "cream of anything" soup?
> > > Something that will pass, but better? HELP!!!
> > > Goomba
>
> personally, I'd go to a good take out cafeteria, pick up a plate or
> two, spoon them into a serving dish and say it was "Grandma's sekrit
> recipe". Works every time.
>

> > Chop off your feet and then beat yourself to death with them you
> > senseless murderer!!
>
> It's a lot more fun to chop off the Turkey's feet and then give them
> to the dog, the dog looks hilarious running around the yard with a
> big Turkey's foot sticking out of his mouth. He won't let go of it
> either, I'm warnin' ya!
>
> Don't try to snatch it, you'll lose an arm, boy!

Do you realise how many American turkeys - both male and female - will
be forced to wear a burqa for the next few months to escape the
cutting board? Mind you, most of us are only a foot and a half feet
tall so we stand out and people think we're lost children so they come
up to us, unveil us, and discover the truth! Then, they pull large
knives out of their back pockets and chase us, sometimes directly into
traffic, other times into a puddle at which point we're as good as
cooked! ITS SIMPLE REALLY, AMERICANS ARE AS BAD AS THE TALIBAN!!

Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice

Nov 20, 2001, 5:10:39 PM11/20/01
Default User <munged....@boeing.com> gobbled in message

> Tom The Turkey's Widow Bertrice wrote:
>
> > I hope you trip and fall into the vat of HOT oil!!! BURN YOU SICKO,
> > BURN!!!
>
> Hole!

No. Mr. Hole is away on Thanksgiving vacation. I'm the widow
Bertrice.

> Whatchoo doing over in RFC?

Keeping an eye on some killers; they're everywhere this time of year.

> I thought the only thing Servoites could make
> was sammiches.

I'm a simple girl, I prefer to eat things right off the ground. Do
you have any feed handy?

Nov 20, 2001, 6:01:27 PM11/20/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Well, you *could* change, "Default User" to your name, and then you could
> just sign off as Brian. Or Brain. Or somethin'.

See, the problem is that I've doing it long enough that the whole
Default User thing is now kinda part of the current persona. I
especially like when the clueless make fun of it, cause it demonstrates
that they are indeed clueless.

Or they think I'm a Grandma sock puppet, that was really funnee.

And don't disenfranchise my Servo peepers! They got rights too. Most of
them even still have their lefts, or at least some of the fingers.

Brian Rodenborn

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 20, 2001, 6:23:55 PM11/20/01

>Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>
>> Well, you *could* change, "Default User" to your name, and then
>> you could just sign off as Brian. Or Brain. Or somethin'.
>
>See, the problem is that I've doing it long enough that the whole
>Default User thing is now kinda part of the current persona. I
>especially like when the clueless make fun of it, cause it demonstrates
>that they are indeed clueless.

Yeah, I've tried posting under, "Carol," but I actually received letters
requesting that, "Damsel," come back to the group. Do you use newsreader
software that would permit you to do a signature file, so you wouldn't have
to sign your name each time you post?

The ever-helpful,

Nov 20, 2001, 7:07:35 PM11/20/01
Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> Default User <munged....@boeing.com> wrote:

> >See, the problem is that I've doing it long enough that the whole
> >Default User thing is now kinda part of the current persona. I
> >especially like when the clueless make fun of it, cause it demonstrates
> >that they are indeed clueless.
>
> Yeah, I've tried posting under, "Carol," but I actually received letters
> requesting that, "Damsel," come back to the group. Do you use newsreader
> software that would permit you to do a signature file, so you wouldn't have
> to sign your name each time you post?

Of course. But then that would be admitting that I've given up on
choosing a better newsreader.

It's very complicated.

Brian Rodenborn

Damsel in dis Dress

Nov 21, 2001, 12:52:15 AM11/21/01
ROFLMAO!!!! You guys are never gonna believe this ....

My daughter stopped by tonight. She wanted to contribute to the
Thanksgiving dinner. So, she asked me to tell her what the plan was for
dinner. I listed all the things we were having, and she looked at me,
kinda concerned. "What about the green bean hotdish?"

Honest, she gets this from her dad's side of the family. I think I've made
this stuff once in my whole life. So my sweet daughter is bringing the
green bean hotdish. I provided her with a can of Cream of Onion soup,
because Crash is allergic to mushrooms.

Thankfully, I don't mind eating this stuff, especially if it'll make my
munchkin happy. But the day after Thanksgiving, I'm gonna start working on
turning her into a food snob. (Did *I* say that??)

Damsel, laughing at herself

blake murphy

Nov 21, 2001, 10:02:41 AM11/21/01

free agent (and i presume agent) allows for the use of .sig files.

your pal,
blake

Nov 21, 2001, 11:44:21 AM11/21/01

So does Netscape, which I'm using now. But if I set the .sig, then I've
admitted that this is the one I'm going to use, rather than being a
temporary substitute.

What I want is one that is or looks just like trn. Nothing else will do,
all other point and click ones are garbage.

Brian Rodenborn

Mary Bush

Nov 22, 2001, 12:36:24 PM11/22/01
Maybe you could say that you would really like to invite the group for a
Thanksgiving dinner like you remember as a child. But as you don't have the
room, could you use their kitchen, house, etc. Maybe DIL doesn't really
know how to cook and would appreciate watching someone who knows how to cook
potatoes that don't come in a box. Mary Bush

"Ladyvmh2000" <ladyv...@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article <3BF6C3FB...@mail.monmouth.com>, Nancy Young
> <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> writes:
>

> >(smile) Goomba, grin and bear it. They don't want a different version.
> >How about bring two versions, or maybe something else along with it
> >that you like? But they want just what they asked for. Consider it
> >a 'hostess' gift.
> >
> >I have kind of a worse problem I have to fix. My mother said, oh good,
> >you're coming for Thanksgiving! Lisa (my sil) is making the turkey and
> >stuffing. Foot in mouth disease kicked in and I said Oh No! I want
> >your stuffing, you have to make stuffing.
> >
> >I hung up and immediately started kicking myself around the room. I
> >have now just insulted my sil and I don't even know if she makes good
> >stuffing. What an insult. I have to call either my mother or my sil
> >or both to straighten this out. At any rate, maybe that demonstrates
> >how someone would want what they grew up with on Thanksgiving.
> >
> >nancy (and don't bother asking about my mother's recipe, it's really
> > nothing special ... see what I mean?)
> >

> We always go to my SIL Aunt and Uncle's for Thanksgiving. It has always
been
> good until last year. Aunt and Uncle divorced. Uncle kept house and his
Son

> and DIL live with him. Last year DIL cooked. Stove Top Stuffing, 12 Pkts
gravy
> mix (they dumped out the drippings), no vegetables, Instant Mashed
Potatoes,
> cold pacjaged rolls, fake margarine, Cool Whip. I think you get the
picture. I

> would have everybody here but can't fit 25 people into my 1 bedroom
apartment.
> I don't even have a table. Had not heard SIL's Mother mention Thanksgiving
so I
> was going to cook at my daughter's house for her family of 4 and me. Got
the
> call yesterday. Thanksgiving is on at Uncles's house. We have to go to
save
> feelings but next week we are going to have our own Thanksgiving.
Christmas
> will be at SIL Parents house. Ham, store bought potato and macaroni
salads,
> potato chips, cold rolls, and fruit cocktail with colored marshmallows. I
sure
> wish I still had my house. Then I could do it my way once in a while.
> Vickie

Ranee Mueller

Nov 24, 2001, 1:07:46 PM11/24/01
In article <20011117194137...@nso-fp.aol.com>,
ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) wrote:

> Christmas will be at SIL Parents house. Ham, store bought potato
> and macaroni salads, potato chips, cold rolls, and fruit cocktail
> with colored marshmallows. I sure wish I still had my house. Then I
> could do it my way once in a while. Vickie

Our Christmas Eve is a nicer dinner than the Christmas Day at the
ILs, but we enjoy both. My MIL has a family celebration with us, my
mom, Rich's grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc, then an open house for
other friends and family. It's nice, with lots of food, but not a big
sit down, fancy meal. That's fine with us.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Destashing now, see url below & e-mail for details.
See my family and some of my finished objects (E-mail me for password to

Ladyvmh2000

Nov 24, 2001, 10:22:05 PM11/24/01
In article <raneem-5474E6....@news.harbornet.com>, Ranee Mueller
<ran...@harbornet.com> writes:

>In article <20011117194137...@nso-fp.aol.com>,
>ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) wrote:
>
>> Christmas will be at SIL Parents house. Ham, store bought potato
>> and macaroni salads, potato chips, cold rolls, and fruit cocktail
>> with colored marshmallows. I sure wish I still had my house. Then I
>> could do it my way once in a while. Vickie
>
> Our Christmas Eve is a nicer dinner than the Christmas Day at the
>ILs, but we enjoy both. My MIL has a family celebration with us, my
>mom, Rich's grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc, then an open house for
>other friends and family. It's nice, with lots of food, but not a big
>sit down, fancy meal. That's fine with us.
>
> Regards,
> Ranee

Since I am alone I spend the night at my daughter's house Christmas Eve. We
usually have a nice dinner for the 5 of us (daughter, SIL, 2 Grandkids) then.
This year my daughter has to work late but I will have something for her when
she gets home. We will have our traditional sausage kolaches, Wassail and
coffee for breakfast while we open gifts Christmas morning. We will go to SIL's
parents that night. So Christmas Eve and Christmas morning are the special
times for me. I love watching the kids (ages 6 and 3) opening their presents.
SIL's parents are always invited Christmas morning but they never come. It is
sad because they are the ones missing those times that can never be had again.
Vickie

Ranee Mueller

Nov 25, 2001, 7:48:24 PM11/25/01
In article <20011124222205...@nso-ba.aol.com>,
ladyv...@aol.com (Ladyvmh2000) wrote:

> I love watching the kids (ages 6 and 3) opening their presents. SIL's
> parents are always invited Christmas morning but they never come. It
> is sad because they are the ones missing those times that can never
> be had again. Vickie

That is sad. My mother does much the same thing to herself. She has
once again shot herself in her own foot and missed out on a family
gathering and seeing her grandchildren, because she is determined to be
a martyr and stuck in her self-centeredness. It's sad really, that she
cannot enjoy anything in life because of her attitude.

Edwin Pawlowski

Nov 25, 2001, 10:46:12 PM11/25/01
OK back to the original thread. How did the green bean dish go?