Anaheim Peppers

1 view

DanS.

Jul 29, 2010, 12:12:00 PM7/29/10
I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
are nor how to use them. I have some mexican chorizo and refried
beans. I was thinking about making a falafel type of fried beans with
the chilies and scallions. Not sure if the fried bean balls should be
a topping for something with the chorizo or should be topped with
something. Also afraid they might be too hot for the kids.

--
Yours,
Dan S.

Steve Pope

Jul 29, 2010, 12:15:00 PM7/29/10
DanS. <DanUNDERSCOREgo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
>are nor how to use them.

They are the same basic variety as New Mexico chiles but if they
are sold as Anaheims they are (almost certainly) milder.

When you say dried, do you mean they are a dark red color rather
than green? Such peppers are used to make enchilada sauce,
or are intended to be ground up and used as chili powder.

Steve

DanS.

Jul 29, 2010, 12:22:04 PM7/29/10
Steve Pope added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
7/29/2010 in writing

They're dehydrated. They seem like they'll still have a lot of their
essential oils.

Stu

Jul 29, 2010, 12:36:36 PM7/29/10
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:12:00 -0400, DanS.
<DanUNDERSCOREgo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
>are nor how to use them. I have some mexican chorizo and refried
>beans. I was thinking about making a falafel type of fried beans with
>the chilies and scallions. Not sure if the fried bean balls should be
>a topping for something with the chorizo or should be topped with
>something. Also afraid they might be too hot for the kids.

They're mildly hot, are usually called new mexican and is the pepper
of choice to make rellenos.

Bob Terwilliger

Jul 29, 2010, 1:56:01 PM7/29/10
Chester wrote:

>> I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
>> are nor how to use them. I have some mexican chorizo and refried
>> beans. I was thinking about making a falafel type of fried beans with
>> the chilies and scallions. Not sure if the fried bean balls should be
>> a topping for something with the chorizo or should be topped with
>> something. Also afraid they might be too hot for the kids.
>

> They're mildly hot, are usually called new mexican and is the pepper
> of choice to make rellenos.

You must have missed the word "dried" in the first sentence. It's certainly
an understandable error; I'm sure your attention was elsewhere. What, was
the little girl squirming around when you were trying to concentrate?

Bob

critters & me in azusa, ca

Jul 29, 2010, 2:02:29 PM7/29/10
On Jul 29, 9:12 am, DanS.

since the chile's are dried, either grind them up, or soak them in
boiling water for about half an hour, strain out the water, save it if
you choose to do so (perhaps freeze it for a future use) take what's
left and clean out the stems, etc., and use the softened chile's mixed
in with your beans.

harriet in azusa (15 miles directly east of pasadena, ca)

Paul M. Cook

Jul 29, 2010, 2:28:30 PM7/29/10

"DanS." <DanUNDERSCOREgo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

>I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they are
>nor how to use them. I have some mexican chorizo and refried beans. I was
>thinking about making a falafel type of fried beans with the chilies and
>scallions. Not sure if the fried bean balls should be a topping for
>something with the chorizo or should be topped with something. Also afraid
>they might be too hot for the kids.

Very mild pepper usually. Not a whole lot hotter than a bell unless they've
been left on the plant for a very long time. They taste a lot like a bell
but with a little tang.

Paul

DanS.

Jul 29, 2010, 4:03:06 PM7/29/10
critters & me in azusa, ca added the following to the totality of all
human wisdom on 7/29/2010 in writing

So, I blended them with onion soup mix (sorry), tomatoes, cilantro,
lemon/lime, salt/pepper, corriander, paprika. Added some to the beans,
bound with flour/egg, and fried. Will leave chorizo in casing (I'm
thinking dumb butcher, but hey, it may work), cut up and cover all with
some version of remaining sauce w/sour cream.

More like a croquette than a falafel imho (of course, I've never had
falafel).

--
Yours,
Dan S.

TOM: I will think that over and see what I can make of it.

- The Glass Menagerie

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 29, 2010, 4:29:45 PM7/29/10

DanS. <DanUNDERSCOREgo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
> are nor how to use them. I have some mexican chorizo and refried
> beans. I was thinking about making a falafel type of fried beans with
> the chilies and scallions. Not sure if the fried bean balls should be
> a topping for something with the chorizo or should be topped with
> something. Also afraid they might be too hot for the kids.

Toast them in a skillet until just fragrant and softened. Let them steep in
a blender in enough hot water to cover for about an hour. Mix with lime
juice, garlic, cumin, and oregano, and a bit of cilantro if you like the
stuff, and blend to a thickened sauce. Add more lime juice if it seems a bit
bitter. This mixture can now form the base for many sauces and dishes, or
use it as salsa, or you can just add some other ingredients to make a salsa
you like, particularly roasted or grilled onions, peppers, etc.

You can also just grind it up and add it to dishes. And you can grind it up
to make chile powder with a similar list of ingredients, by adding cumin,
oregano, dried garlic (optional) and smoked paprika (also optional). You can
also add some dried ground hot peppers such as chipotle powder or cayenne.

Also try this with chile ancho, and with mixtures of other dried peppers
including the above, plus pasillas, guajillos, de arbols, etc. This is a
great way to learn the flavor characteristics of different chiles, and then
you can customize both sauces and chile powders to suit your needs.

-Pork Steaks in Red Chile Sauce (my version)-
If you're only going to make one dish to highlight these chiles, make the
sauce in the first paragraph, while searing some nice thick pork steaks in a
great big hot skillet. Remove meat, reduce heat, and add some onions to the
fat which will now be in the pan. When onions are softened and translucent,
throw in some minced garlic, leaving over heat only briefly being sure not
to burn it. Deglaze the pan with chicken stock, pour in the thickened chile
sauce, add some lime juice and oregano, stir, put the meat back in the pan,
(sauce should just barely cover meat) and let simmer till the pork is
tender, skimming fat from the pan periodically. It needs at least a couple
hours simmer, longer is better. You'll know when it's done, because it will
fall apart and it's wonderful. When close to finished, taste and season with
salt pepper and more lime juice if needed to perfect the flavor. Serve with
your favorite rice. It's even better if you use both chile ancho and anaheim
in the sauce base.

The anaheims and anchos aren't all that hot. If you want hotter you can
always throw some in, or divide the dish and only heat up part of it and
save the milder half for the kids. But when I was a kid, I was fine with
spicy food, it just depends on the kid.

MartyB in KC

Arri London

Jul 29, 2010, 7:47:47 PM7/29/10

Anaheims are *never* called New Mexican here in NM! Never! They are
imposters, descended from New Mexican varieties LOL. They are only the
choice to make chiles rellenos by those who have no access to chiles
poblanos, which are more well suited.

Arri London

Jul 29, 2010, 7:49:44 PM7/29/10

"DanS." wrote:

> Steve Pope added the following to the totality of all human wisdom on
> 7/29/2010 in writing
> > DanS. <DanUNDERSCOREgo...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >
> >> I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
> >> are nor how to use them.
> >
> > They are the same basic variety as New Mexico chiles but if they
> > are sold as Anaheims they are (almost certainly) milder.
> >
> > When you say dried, do you mean they are a dark red color rather
> > than green? Such peppers are used to make enchilada sauce,
> > or are intended to be ground up and used as chili powder.
> >
> > Steve
>
> They're dehydrated. They seem like they'll still have a lot of their
> essential oils.

Depends on how old they are and how they've been stored. Those oils
dissipate fairly quickly.
Rub a finger over the chiles and taste the finger. That will tell you
something about how much of the oils are still there.

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 29, 2010, 7:51:39 PM7/29/10

Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

> Depends on how old they are and how they've been stored. Those oils
> dissipate fairly quickly.
> Rub a finger over the chiles and taste the finger. That will tell you
> something about how much of the oils are still there.

Color is also a marker for freshness. The color will fade in the chili as it
loses flavor and essential oil. Eventually, it will go a light tan if you
let it sit around long enough. If you notice some of the chiles in a batch
look like they have a lot less color density or off colors, they are getting
old.

Keep dried chiles in a cool place, and *out of sunlight*.

MartyB

Steve Pope

Jul 29, 2010, 7:53:06 PM7/29/10
Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:

>Anaheims are *never* called New Mexican here in NM! Never! They are
>imposters, descended from New Mexican varieties LOL.

Well, I think technically NM chiles are a sub-variety of the Anaheim
variety. Although I suppose this may spawn a bit of debate.

Steve

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 29, 2010, 8:19:40 PM7/29/10

Indeed Anaheims are descended from New Mexican chiles, as follows.

As with most vegetables, there are a lot of varietals. It's actually far
more complex than just Numex or Anaheim. As a general classification though,
they are all cultivars of capsicum annuum var. annum Long Green/Red Chile.
(Chile scientists in the industry apparently prefer separating the two, Long
Green Chile or Long Red Chile, but they are the same, one immature, one
ripe.)

The Anaheim cultivar originated when a rancher moved from California to New
Mexico in 1896 and became interested in chile crops. When he returned to CA
he took seeds with him. He started a chile cannery in Anaheim in 1900. Seeds
were first released under the Anaheim name in 1903.

In New Mexico there was considerable angst over developing a variety that
would peel easily. Eventually the base New Mexico varietal came into being,
called New Mexico No. 9. It was the primary Numex pepper for many years.

There are other cultivars in production. Cultivars you may see offered
include California Chili, Chimayo, New Mexico No. 6, Rio Grande, and Sandia.

A couple varieties I like in the home garden are NUMEX Big Jim and Joe
Parker.

Cite: "Peppers, The Domesticated Capsicums, Jean Andrews, University of
Texas Press."

MartyB

Message has been deleted

Food Snob®

Jul 29, 2010, 11:34:03 PM7/29/10
On Jul 29, 11:15 am, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

> DanS.  <DanUNDERSCOREgoesHEREslaugh...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >I bought 5 giant dried anaheim peppers and I don't know how hot they
> >are nor how to use them.
>
> They are the same basic variety as New Mexico chiles but if they
> are sold as Anaheims they are (almost certainly) milder.

True. Anaheims are wussified NuMex Big Jims.

> Steve

--Bryan

blake murphy

Jul 30, 2010, 10:44:23 AM7/30/10

if you'd like an entertaining book about the ins and outs of developing
pepper cultivars, this is a good one:

'Peppers: A Story of Hot Pursuits,' by amal naj.

<http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Story-Pursuits-Amal-Naj/dp/0679744274/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1280500347&sr=1-11>

jean andrews is cited a couple of times. apparently, she's also a painter
with peppers as a frequent subject.

i think i first saw the book mentioned here (by james silverton?).

your pal,
blake

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 30, 2010, 11:13:08 AM7/30/10

Food Snob® <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> True. Anaheims are wussified NuMex Big Jims.

Incorrect. See my most recent post in this thread for details. Your general
direction is correct, Anaheims descended from NM peppers originally, but not
from the cultivar capsicum annuum var. anuum Big Jim.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Jul 30, 2010, 11:42:05 AM7/30/10

That looks really interesting! If it's been in print for a while I might
find new or used it at Half Price Books. It's been a great resource for
cookbooks at good prices. For example, I picked up the Le Cordon Bleu
"Professional Cooking, Sixth Edition" for 35 bucks, and a near-perfect 1951
edition of Joy for 5 bucks.

> jean andrews is cited a couple of times. apparently, she's also a
> painter with peppers as a frequent subject.

True. Her drawings of peppers and plants are amazingly detailed and
accurate, and she gets right down to the tiniest details differentiating
them. She documents the history of the use of chiles dating back to ancient
times in painstaking detail. Greatly talented as both a scholar and an
artist.

MartyB in KC

Food Snob®

Jul 30, 2010, 12:52:07 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 9:44 am, blake murphy <blakepmNOTT...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:19:40 -0500, Nunya Bidnits wrote:
> > Steve Pope <spop...@speedymail.org> wrote:
> <http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Story-Pursuits-Amal-Naj/dp/0679744274/r...>

After seeing this, I went up to the library and checked it out. Now,
it's off to my favorite taqueria.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

Arri London

Jul 30, 2010, 8:00:17 PM7/30/10

Not likely. It would be harder to breed to increased capsaicin versus
breeding to decreased capsaicin (as in Anaheims) level.

Omelet

Jul 30, 2010, 10:08:04 PM7/30/10
In article <4C536791...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
wrote:

> Not likely. It would be harder to breed to increased capsaicin versus
> breeding to decreased capsaicin (as in Anaheims) level.

Do you think that canned ones would be milder and easier to work with?
I've never made chile relleno's and have been considering it with canned
green or anaheim peppers.
--
Peace! Om

Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat. --Alex Levine

Food Snob®

Jul 30, 2010, 11:10:31 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 9:08 pm, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <4C536791.366F...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <biot...@ic.ac.uk>

> wrote:
>
> > Not likely. It would be harder to breed to increased capsaicin versus
> > breeding to decreased capsaicin (as in Anaheims) level.
>
> Do you think that canned ones would be milder and easier to work with?
> I've never made chile relleno's and have been considering it with canned
> green or anaheim peppers.

Jeez. Why would anyone use canned chilies in the Summer? As far as
"easier to work with," a vibrator is easier than going out and
procuring a real man too.

I didn't want to put the effort into real chiles rellenos, so I relied
on the tried and true Steely Can.

It's bad taste to laugh at your own jokes, right?

> --
> Peace! Om

--Bryan

Omelet

Jul 31, 2010, 3:57:02 AM7/31/10
In article
<80267ed8-d82e-4efe...@k19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
Food SnobŽ <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 9:08 pm, Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In article <4C536791.366F...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <biot...@ic.ac.uk>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Not likely. It would be harder to breed to increased capsaicin versus
> > > breeding to decreased capsaicin (as in Anaheims) level.
> >
> > Do you think that canned ones would be milder and easier to work with?
> > I've never made chile relleno's and have been considering it with canned
> > green or anaheim peppers.
>
> Jeez. Why would anyone use canned chilies in the Summer?

'cause I don't feel like scorching and peeling the damned things?

> As far as
> "easier to work with," a vibrator is easier than going out and
> procuring a real man too.

So how is Brenda, your inflatable doll holding up Bryan? ;-)

> I didn't want to put the effort into real chiles rellenos, so I relied
> on the tried and true Steely Can.

Ok.

> It's bad taste to laugh at your own jokes, right?

Not in your case dear. It's normal. <g>

> --Bryan

Steve Pope

Jul 31, 2010, 3:59:33 AM7/31/10
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Food Snob® <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Jeez. Why would anyone use canned chilies in the Summer?

>'cause I don't feel like scorching and peeling the damned things?

Moreover, because there are no fresh chilis in the summer. They
don't come in until September or October.

Steve

Omelet

Jul 31, 2010, 4:35:58 AM7/31/10
In article <i30l55$k9s$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:

Canned hatches are actually quite nice.
I see another photography session when I actually try this. <g>

And they'd fit in the fry daddy, but I'm more likely to try this in the
skillet.

Food Snob®

Jul 31, 2010, 7:51:47 AM7/31/10
On Jul 31, 2:59 am, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> Omelet  <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Food Snob® <bryangsimm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Jeez.  Why would anyone use canned chilies in the Summer?
> >'cause I don't feel like scorching and peeling the damned things?
>
> Moreover, because there are no fresh chilis in the summer.  They
> don't come in until September or October.

I live in St. Louis, and my first green chilies were ready in June.
Where the heck do you have to wait until September? Don't your
supermarkets carry fresh chilies?

> Steve

--Bryan

Ema Nymton

Jul 31, 2010, 8:04:20 AM7/31/10
On 7/30/2010 9:08 PM, Omelet wrote:
> Do you think that canned ones would be milder and easier to work with?
> I've never made chile relleno's and have been considering it with canned
> green or anaheim peppers.

Om, I have only used fresh anaheims to make chili relleno. After I
roast the peppers, I have to be careful and not let them steam too long,
or the peppers get too soft. The stores here in Louisiana do have
peppers, but it seems like we had a wider variety in Texas. HEB carries
them, but that store is 45 minutes away.

Message has been deleted

Ema Nymton

Jul 31, 2010, 1:35:26 PM7/31/10
On 7/31/2010 10:54 AM, Omelet wrote:
> There are always fresh Anaheims and Poblanos at the local HEB.
> I'm just not sure how I could easily toast and peel them. I guess I
> could use the weed torch.<g>

Most of the time I use poblanos, but I did use anaheims once. I will
torch them using the gas grill, removing the grate if I have to. I have
not made them in forever.

Steve Pope

Jul 31, 2010, 2:30:00 PM7/31/10
Food Snob® <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:

Some chiles from somewhere in the world are available year round
(although they are often starting to shrivel from too much storage.)
Local chiles in either Northern California or New Mexico do
not appear in quantity until September. Some ripen in August
but are not as good. October, November, and even December
seem to be the good chile months around here. I usually
don't bother to make a chile verde until that time of year.

Canned Anaheims, like canned tomatoes are a useful product but
of secondary quality. Frozen chiles can be about as good as
fresh.

Steve

Steve

blake murphy

Jul 31, 2010, 2:44:00 PM7/31/10

the used price for this book at amazon start at one cent plus $3.99
shipping. that's what i did.

>> jean andrews is cited a couple of times. apparently, she's also a
>> painter with peppers as a frequent subject.
>>

> True. Her drawings of peppers and plants are amazingly detailed and
> accurate, and she gets right down to the tiniest details differentiating
> them. She documents the history of the use of chiles dating back to ancient
> times in painstaking detail. Greatly talented as both a scholar and an
> artist.
>
> MartyB in KC

sound like she'd be an interesting woman to know.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy

Jul 31, 2010, 2:45:25 PM7/31/10

i found it absorbing. there are a few pepper fanatics on the horticulure
end of things.

blake

Arri London

Jul 31, 2010, 7:45:14 PM7/31/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4C536791...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>
> wrote:
>
> > Not likely. It would be harder to breed to increased capsaicin versus
> > breeding to decreased capsaicin (as in Anaheims) level.
>
> Do you think that canned ones would be milder and easier to work with?
> I've never made chile relleno's and have been considering it with canned
> green or anaheim peppers.
> --
> Peace! Om

The 'Old El Paso' brand tinned chiles are very mild. We also get
Alberson's brand tinned chiles for TMU, who is a chile wimp :) The
tinned chiles are very soft as well...wouldn't recommend them for chiles
rellenos.

Try fresh poblanos if you can get them. They aren't normally very hot
around here. They tend to run larger than any Anaheim type.

Arri London

Jul 31, 2010, 7:46:21 PM7/31/10

Food SnobŽ wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2:59 am, spop...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
> > Omelet <ompome...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >'cause I don't feel like scorching and peeling the damned things?
> >
> > Moreover, because there are no fresh chilis in the summer. They
> > don't come in until September or October.
>
> I live in St. Louis, and my first green chilies were ready in June.
> Where the heck do you have to wait until September? Don't your
> supermarkets carry fresh chilies?
> >
> > Steve
>
> --Bryan

The New Mexico type don't come until August. They might be delayed this
year.

Arri London

Jul 31, 2010, 7:47:03 PM7/31/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <i30l55$k9s$1...@blue.rahul.net>,
> spo...@speedymail.org (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > >'cause I don't feel like scorching and peeling the damned things?
> >
> > Moreover, because there are no fresh chilis in the summer. They
> > don't come in until September or October.
> >
> > Steve
>
> Canned hatches are actually quite nice.

The 'Hatch' brand aren't from Hatch, NM. Just saying :)

Arri London

Jul 31, 2010, 7:50:09 PM7/31/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <i314s...@news6.newsguy.com>,

> There are always fresh Anaheims and Poblanos at the local HEB.
> I'm just not sure how I could easily toast and peel them. I guess I
> could use the weed torch. <g>

Put them on the outside grill, or under the kitchen grill/broiler, or
directly over the kitchen gas fire. Roast until they are brown/black and
blistered all over. Put into a Pyrex bowl and cover with plastic
clingfilm. Let steam for about 10 minutes. By then they are cool enough
to peel and disembowel.

> Fresh peppers are available around here year round.
>
> Just thought it'd be easier to use the canned Hatch. They come whole and
> they are very good.
> --

They are too mild to be interesting. ;P

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bob Terwilliger

Aug 1, 2010, 1:54:27 AM8/1/10
Sycophant wrote about Anaheim chiles:

> I'm wondering about simply blanching and peeling them like I do
> tomatoes. I've never tried it.

I think you should try it. You might learn a valuable lesson.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Aug 1, 2010, 1:55:56 AM8/1/10
Sycophant wrote about roasting chiles:

> All my appliances are electric.
> And I don't own a gas grill.
>
> A wood fire would likely work. <g>
> I could use that little hibachi maybe.

If you have a chimney starter, load it up with wood and fire it up. It'll
create a kind of jet blast suitable for roasting chiles.

Bob

Leonard Blaisdell

Aug 1, 2010, 2:13:05 AM8/1/10
In article <ompomelet-79FB2...@news-wc.giganews.com>,
Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All my appliances are electric.
> And I don't own a gas grill.

As Mr. London suggested, put them under the broiler in your oven. My
appliances are electric too. I actually bought a gas torch to do the job
many years ago. Then I learned that the broiler does better. Just keep
an eye on them and rotate as one area becomes charred more than you
think it ought to. Also use the bowl with plastic wrap mentioned
above-thread. It ain't as easy as canned chiles, but it's more
rewarding, and the flavor is better IMO. It's intimidating at first, but
you'll find out that it's no big deal. You don't have to get off every
last bit of skin. Just do your best.
Your confidence will improve with just a couple of broilings. Chiles
aren't that expensive. Try it with one first and adjust method as
necessary. My two cents.

leo

Bob Terwilliger

Aug 1, 2010, 2:51:40 AM8/1/10
Leo wrote:

> As Mr. London suggested, put them under the broiler in your oven.

Now you've done it! Arri has spent years trying to be gender-neutral, and
you undid all that assiduous effort with one little "Mr."

Bob

sf

Aug 1, 2010, 3:41:33 AM8/1/10
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:51:40 -0700, "Bob Terwilliger"
<virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

> Arri has spent years trying to be gender-neutral, and
> you undid all that assiduous effort with one little "Mr."

What a kick in the teeth. As far as the name "Arri" (two r's), look
it up. It's an obscure spelling of a boy's name, but I had a girl
friend in high school whose name was spelled Michael (nickname:
Mickey) so there ya go. We're still a male based language so we use
male pronouns when we don't know or are unsure of sex because "it" is
just a little too neutral. I suppose Leo could have said M. London,
but that is a male title in French. Whatever. It's not the end of
the world and Arri will live.

--

Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dan Abel

Aug 1, 2010, 11:35:03 AM8/1/10
In article <2k7a56pclsjdbmtbm...@4ax.com>,
sf <s...@geemail.com> wrote:

I'm sure he'll do just fine.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Leonard Blaisdell

Aug 1, 2010, 6:06:30 PM8/1/10
In article <4c55199b$0$9244$c3e...@news.astraweb.com>,
"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> wrote:

I ass-umed. If I offended anyone, I apologize. It was unintentional.

leo

Message has been deleted

Arri London

Aug 1, 2010, 9:17:39 PM8/1/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4C54B6B1...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>

> wrote:
>
> > Put them on the outside grill, or under the kitchen grill/broiler, or
> > directly over the kitchen gas fire. Roast until they are brown/black and
> > blistered all over. Put into a Pyrex bowl and cover with plastic
> > clingfilm. Let steam for about 10 minutes. By then they are cool enough
> > to peel and disembowel.
>

> All my appliances are electric.
> And I don't own a gas grill.
>

> A wood fire would likely work. <g>
> I could use that little hibachi maybe.

> --

Got a blow torch?

Arri London

Aug 1, 2010, 9:19:55 PM8/1/10

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> In article <ompomelet-79FB2...@news-wc.giganews.com>,
> Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > All my appliances are electric.
> > And I don't own a gas grill.
>
> As Mr. London suggested, put them under the broiler in your oven. My
> appliances are electric too. I actually bought a gas torch to do the job
> many years ago.

LOL just suggested that Om use a blow torch.

>Then I learned that the broiler does better.

It would but ours is floor-level which makes it a pain to use.

We use the gas grill.

>Just keep
> an eye on them and rotate as one area becomes charred more than you
> think it ought to. Also use the bowl with plastic wrap mentioned
> above-thread. It ain't as easy as canned chiles, but it's more
> rewarding, and the flavor is better IMO. It's intimidating at first, but
> you'll find out that it's no big deal. You don't have to get off every
> last bit of skin. Just do your best.
> Your confidence will improve with just a couple of broilings. Chiles
> aren't that expensive. Try it with one first and adjust method as
> necessary. My two cents.
>
> leo

A bit of char makes them taste better anyway.

Arri London

Aug 1, 2010, 9:20:33 PM8/1/10

True enough. What difference can anyone's gender possibly make online
anyway LOL.

Arri London

Aug 1, 2010, 9:21:43 PM8/1/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <leoblaisdell-F251...@News.Individual.NET>,

> Ok. Now that I have that toaster oven (with a broil setting), I might
> try it. Thanks! Probably do Poblanos as they are readily available and
> nice and big.
> --

Haven't tried using the toaster oven, but it should work. Wipe it out
afterwards though. There will be spluttering. Cut into each chile prior
to roasting it to avoid explosions :)

Arri London

Aug 1, 2010, 9:22:21 PM8/1/10

No apology necessary. You have a 1-in-3 chance of being correct :)

Arri London

Aug 1, 2010, 9:23:03 PM8/1/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4C54B58A...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>

> wrote:
>
> > Try fresh poblanos if you can get them. They aren't normally very hot
> > around here. They tend to run larger than any Anaheim type.
>

> Yes. Likely easier to stuff!

> I'm wondering about simply blanching and peeling them like I do
> tomatoes. I've never tried it.

> --

Nonononononono! Roast and peel is the only way to go. Blanching will
remove too much flavour.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Giusi

Aug 2, 2010, 3:17:13 AM8/2/10

"Arri London" <bio...@ic.ac.uk> ha scritto nel messaggio >

> True enough. What difference can anyone's >gender possibly make online>
> anyway LOL.

As far as I can see it only decides which slangy language physical parts
Sheldon will indulge in and whether Bob T will accuse you of pedofilia or
drug addiction.

Bob Terwilliger

Aug 2, 2010, 6:32:48 AM8/2/10
Giusi wrote:

> As far as I can see it only decides which slangy language physical parts
> Sheldon will indulge in and whether Bob T will accuse you of pedofilia or
> drug addiction.

Not so: I will also accuse men of drug addiction. Well, substance abuse, at
any rate. Andy is one good example.

Bob

Giusi

Aug 2, 2010, 6:40:26 AM8/2/10

"Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz> ha scritto nel messaggio

That's a relief, you know, that you don't discriminate concerning drugs. Of
course they have had several abuse trials lately involving female perps.

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 2, 2010, 12:46:33 PM8/2/10

blake murphy <blakepm...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 09:52:07 -0700 (PDT), Food Snob wrote:

>>> if you'd like an entertaining book about the ins and outs of
>>> developing pepper cultivars, this is a good one:
>>>
>>> 'Peppers: A Story of Hot Pursuits,' by amal naj.
>>>
>>> <http://www.amazon.com/Peppers-Story-Pursuits-Amal-Naj/dp/0679744274/r...>
>>>
>> After seeing this, I went up to the library and checked it out. Now,
>> it's off to my favorite taqueria.
>
> i found it absorbing. there are a few pepper fanatics on the
> horticulure end of things.
>
> blake

<raising hand>
Not growing much this year, meds temporarily keeping me out of the heat, but
I have some ribbons and grand prizes to show for my pepper and other growing
efforts. You learn very quickly that the variety available is nearly endless
due to the efforts of people committed to producing and distributing exotic
varieties.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 2, 2010, 12:54:23 PM8/2/10

Steve Pope <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote:
> Omelet <ompo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Food Snob <bryang...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Jeez. Why would anyone use canned chilies in the Summer?
>
>> 'cause I don't feel like scorching and peeling the damned things?
>
> Moreover, because there are no fresh chilis in the summer. They
> don't come in until September or October.
>
> Steve

No disrespect intended but that is a sweeping generality which is mostly
incorrect except for the very slow maturing (mostly perennial) species when
grown outside tropical zones.

Actually, when peppers are ready to harvest depends on several things, some
of them listed below.

Which Growing Zone you are in
Variety of pepper grown
Results wanted - fresh green, ripe red, fully ripe and ready for drying...
When you started your plants (if from greenhouse, how long they were held
before distribution)
When you put them outside

I'm in the midwest and have picked plenty of long green (numex or anaheim or
similar) and jalapenos, sweet peppers, and many others, as early as June and
thereafter.

Just sayin'...

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 2, 2010, 12:56:42 PM8/2/10

Steve Pope <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote:

> Canned Anaheims, like canned tomatoes are a useful product but
> of secondary quality. Frozen chiles can be about as good as
> fresh.
>
> Steve

Roast them till well blistered, then immediately freeze them with skins on.

When ready to use, a fast rinse under hot water while still frozen, and the
skins slide right off.

Don't rinse the flesh after removing skins. It removes flavor.

MartyB

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 2, 2010, 1:06:09 PM8/2/10

Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> In article <i314s...@news6.newsguy.com>,

>>> Om, I have only used fresh anaheims to make chili relleno. After I
>>> roast the peppers, I have to be careful and not let them steam too
>>> long, or the peppers get too soft. The stores here in Louisiana do
>>> have peppers, but it seems like we had a wider variety in Texas.
>>> HEB carries them, but that store is 45 minutes away.

>> There are always fresh Anaheims and Poblanos at the local HEB.
>> I'm just not sure how I could easily toast and peel them. I guess I
>> could use the weed torch. <g>

> Put them on the outside grill, or under the kitchen grill/broiler, or
> directly over the kitchen gas fire. Roast until they are brown/black
> and blistered all over. Put into a Pyrex bowl and cover with plastic
> clingfilm. Let steam for about 10 minutes. By then they are cool
> enough to peel and disembowel.

You can do it in just a paper bag too, after roasting.

Either way, put a damp paper towel in the bowl or bag and it will make them
easier to peel. The skins should just slide right off for the most part.

I know people love their long greens/numex/anaheims/whatevers, but try this
with fresh poblanos. They are fantastic. Better handling and better flavor,
the ideal pepper for stuffing.

MartyB

Steve Pope

Aug 2, 2010, 1:18:17 PM8/2/10
Nunya Bidnits <inv...@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Steve Pope <spo...@speedymail.org> wrote:

>> Moreover, because there are no fresh chilis in the summer. They
>> don't come in until September or October.

>No disrespect intended but that is a sweeping generality which is mostly

>incorrect except for the very slow maturing (mostly perennial) species when
>grown outside tropical zones.

You're right. I should have added, "if you're a locavore...".

Steve

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Arri London

Aug 2, 2010, 7:57:59 PM8/2/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4C561DA7...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>

> wrote:
>
> > > Ok. Now that I have that toaster oven (with a broil setting), I might
> > > try it. Thanks! Probably do Poblanos as they are readily available and
> > > nice and big.
> > > --
> >

> > Haven't tried using the toaster oven, but it should work. Wipe it out
> > afterwards though. There will be spluttering. Cut into each chile prior
> > to roasting it to avoid explosions :)
>

> I imagine stem removal would work for that, and get most of the seeds.

Don't remove the stem or seeds until after roasting. It's much easier
that way. Pull on the stem and most of the interior will be removed at
the same time.

Arri London

Aug 2, 2010, 7:58:37 PM8/2/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4C561CB3...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>

> Yes, and a weed torch. ;-)

It's all good LOL.

Arri London

Aug 2, 2010, 8:00:55 PM8/2/10

Omelet wrote:

> In article <4C561DF7...@ic.ac.uk>, Arri London <bio...@ic.ac.uk>

> It does not with tomatoes. Why would it with peppers?
> --

It *does* remove flavour with tomatoes. Try roasting/peeling the
tomatoes rather than blanching. Lots (but not all) of the flavour
molecules are water-soluble. There's always some loss.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

blake murphy

Aug 3, 2010, 12:36:06 PM8/3/10

i admire that kind of dedication, especially when it's directed towards
something good to eat.

your pal,
blake

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 4, 2010, 5:54:58 PM8/4/10

The skins of a tomato are not water soluble under reasonable conditions. So
how can a rapid blanch remove flavor under the skin? Magic? You're
discarding the skin anyway, so it doesn't count for flavor. How do you
figure water got under the skin to dilute flavor? You're going to have to
cite this one or I'm not buying it.

Blanching a tomato to ease peeling melts down the connection between skin
and flesh a bit. It takes a few seconds, too few to cook the tomato or the
skin. And you still need to score an x at the end of the tomato to get
something to grab after blanching, or it will still be a PITA.

And I don't disagree on the roasting part, but you said roast, not blanch.
One is a cooking method, one is mostly a prep method. Certainly you get more
flavor roasting them. But you're still removing the skins. The tomato tastes
different now because it's been cooked. And if you're roasting tomatoes for
salsa, for example, they should be roasted split and seeded, not whole.
That's the best way to get the roasted flavor, especially from a wood fire.

MartyB

Arri London

Aug 4, 2010, 8:32:58 PM8/4/10

Not talking about the skin dissolving. That isn't what was said.
Just try it. If you don't taste a difference, then it doesn't matter
does it?

> Blanching a tomato to ease peeling melts down the connection between skin
> and flesh a bit. It takes a few seconds, too few to cook the tomato or the
> skin. And you still need to score an x at the end of the tomato to get
> something to grab after blanching, or it will still be a PITA.

Tomatoes with very tender skins will blanch in a few seconds. We don't
get those here.

> And I don't disagree on the roasting part, but you said roast, not blanch.

Roasting the skins of the tomatoes is a prep method. The tomatoes will
go into other dishes.

> One is a cooking method, one is mostly a prep method. Certainly you get more
> flavor roasting them.

That's why we do it.

>But you're still removing the skins.

Yes we are. That is the point of roasting them, as well as not losing
flavour.

>The tomato tastes
> different now because it's been cooked. And if you're roasting tomatoes for
> salsa, for example, they should be roasted split and seeded, not whole.
> That's the best way to get the roasted flavor, especially from a wood fire.
>
> MartyB

We don't split and seed the tomatoes before roasting. The more they are
handled, the more the flavour gets lost.

Message has been deleted

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 4, 2010, 10:08:49 PM8/4/10

I didn't say the skin dissolved. Re-read. It softens the adhesion layer.

Actually removing skins and seedy pulp is a very common practice. "We" do
that around here often.

MartyB

Food Snob®

Aug 5, 2010, 10:23:12 AM8/5/10
On Aug 4, 9:08 pm, "Nunya Bidnits" <nunyabidn...@eternal-
september.invalid> wrote:

> Arri London <biot...@ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Nunya Bidnits wrote:

I like the seedy pulp of tomatoes better than the rest of the tomato.
I wish that I knew of a restaurant that seeded their tomatoes, and
would serve me giant bowls of seedy pulp, with a big ol' side order of
bacon.

> MartyB

--Bryan

Bob Terwilliger

Aug 5, 2010, 12:36:34 PM8/5/10
Bryan wrote:

> I like the seedy pulp of tomatoes better than the rest of the tomato. I
> wish that I knew of a restaurant that seeded their tomatoes, and would
> serve me giant bowls of seedy pulp, with a big ol' side order of bacon.

Spanish chef Jose Andres popularized a technique where you remove the
individual clusters of seeds as a cohesive group; he serves them as "tomato
caviar."

Bob

Food Snob®

Aug 5, 2010, 12:39:39 PM8/5/10
On Aug 5, 11:36 am, "Bob Terwilliger" <virtualgoth@die_spammer.biz>
wrote:

I'd rather have that than real caviar. Actually, I'd rather have that
than almost anything.

> Bob

--Bryan

Nunya Bidnits

Aug 5, 2010, 1:19:37 PM8/5/10

Yuk! I'm glad he didn't popularize it around here!

YMMV, obviously!