Cheese...

Carnivore269

Sep 21, 2003, 6:31:47 PM9/21/03
Favorite cheeses in this order:

Brie,
Cream Havarti,
Monterey Jack,
Mozarella,
Colby,
Colby/jack mix,
White Cheddar,
Velveeta.

Just out of curiosity, why does everyone
here seem to hate velveeta so much? I only
buy a couple of bricks per year as it has
childhood memories. I don't consider it a
good cheese, but it just has a certain flavor
that I want once in awhile for a junk food fix. ;-)

Kinda like drinking root beer...

C.

Greykits

Sep 21, 2003, 6:39:14 PM9/21/03
>Subject: Cheese...
>From: Carniv...@hotmail.com (Carnivore269)
>Date: 9/21/2003 4:31 PM Mountain om>
It depends on my budget.

When I go to the cheese store, I get a good bleu and that aged gouda that is
like caramel.

The choices at the grocer are limited, so I usually buy a Swiss and some sort
of cheddar. I sometimes buy those processed cheese slices since Tuner loves
them so much. She will hear me from outdoors to get her slice. Yeah, they are
just for the cat, we don't ever eat them ourselves.

rharps.com

travis

Sep 21, 2003, 7:08:21 PM9/21/03
On 21 Sep 2003 15:31:47 -0700, Carniv...@hotmail.com
(Carnivore269) began spewing the following from their cake-hole:

I dunno. Maybe because if you try to eat some of it all by itself it
just sticks to your teeth like thick peanut butter and isn't that
great. I *love* it for recipes, or to add to something like a bowl of
chili or potato soup to give it a cheesy taste, but I never eat it in
chunks like I do with cheddar and swiss and stuff. Like they say in
the commercials (that I haven't seen in years) "Velveeta melts
better...than cheddar." :-)

--
Travis
'63 VW Camo Baja...

:wq!

DRB

Sep 21, 2003, 7:55:10 PM9/21/03

"travis" <travist34...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I dunno. Maybe because if you try to eat some of it all by itself it
> just sticks to your teeth like thick peanut butter and isn't that
> great. I *love* it for recipes, or to add to something like a bowl of
> chili or potato soup to give it a cheesy taste, but I never eat it in
> chunks like I do with cheddar and swiss and stuff. Like they say in
> the commercials (that I haven't seen in years) "Velveeta melts
> better...than cheddar." :-)

Those are pretty much my feelings on Velveeta... It's not an eating cheese,
but there are just some recipies that it has to go in or they just don't
turn out right. Most of those were handed down from my mom and grandmother,
and they just don't taste as good, or work as good in some cases, if I try
to substitute something else...

PENMART01

Sep 21, 2003, 8:51:26 PM9/21/03
In article <262441d1.03092...@posting.google.com>,
Carniv...@hotmail.com (Carnivore269) writes:

>Favorite cheeses in this order:
>
>Brie,
>Cream Havarti,
>Monterey Jack,
>Mozarella,
>Colby,
>Colby/jack mix,
>White Cheddar,
>Velveeta.

Hmm, all wussy cheeses.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

st...@temple.edu

Sep 21, 2003, 9:14:47 PM9/21/03
Carnivore269 <Carniv...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why does everyone
> here seem to hate velveeta so much? I only
> buy a couple of bricks per year as it has
> childhood memories. I don't consider it a
> good cheese, but it just has a certain flavor
> that I want once in awhile for a junk food fix. ;-)

Its not my favorite cheese, but I don't hate Velveeta at all. Velveeta is
okay for dishes that require melted cheese such as macaroni & cheese.

Carnivore269

Sep 21, 2003, 10:16:05 PM9/21/03
grey...@aol.comkittens (Greykits) wrote in message news:<20030921183914...@mb-m29.aol.com>...

LOL! That is funny. :-)
My cats like cheese too!

I've never tried gouda, what does it taste like? Sharp, mild, smoky???
I forgot to mention meunster also. I don't buy it much anymore. Since
I usually eat low sodium (which is another good reason to not eat velveeta),
I've become much more sensitive to the taste of salt. I can't even eat
bacon anymore. :-P The last two blocks of meunster that I bought were WAY
too salty! I'm going to have to see if I can get a better brand of it at
central market.

C.

Edwin Pawlowski

Sep 21, 2003, 10:33:59 PM9/21/03

"Carnivore269" <Carniv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Favorite cheeses in this order:
>
> Brie,
> Cream Havarti,
> Monterey Jack,
> Mozarella,
> Colby,
> Colby/jack mix,
> White Cheddar,
> Velveeta.

I'd move cheddar to the top.
Next wold be a good imported provolone

> Just out of curiosity, why does everyone
> here seem to hate velveeta so much? I only
> buy a couple of bricks per year as it has
> childhood memories.

I do the same. A grilled cheese sandwich with Velveeta can be very
satisfying on a cold winter day. Even for breakfast.

> Kinda like drinking root beer...

I still do, but cream is good also.
Ed

Greykits

Sep 21, 2003, 10:58:06 PM9/21/03
.

>> When I go to the cheese store, I get a good bleu and that aged gouda that
>is
>> like caramel.
>>
>> The choices at the grocer are limited, so I usually buy a Swiss and some
>sort
>> of cheddar. I sometimes buy those processed cheese slices since Tuner
>loves
>> them so much. She will hear me from outdoors to get her slice. Yeah, they
>are
>> just for the cat, we don't ever eat them ourselves.
>>

>> rharps.com
>
>LOL! That is funny. :-)
>My cats like cheese too!
>
>I've never tried gouda, what does it taste like? Sharp, mild, smoky???

The gouda we get at the cheese store is aged and orange in color. It is dry
and crumbly. It has a strong flavor. We love it!

>I forgot to mention meunster also. I don't buy it much anymore. Since
>I usually eat low sodium (which is another good reason to not eat velveeta),
>I've become much more sensitive to the taste of salt. I can't even eat
>bacon anymore. :-P The last two blocks of meunster that I bought were WAY
>too salty! I'm going to have to see if I can get a better brand of it at
>central market.

Oh dear, you can't enjoy bacon now! At the local supermarket (Safeway) if
seems like all their Swiss cheese is no salt. I've gotten used to it.
>C.

rharps.com

Craig L.

Sep 21, 2003, 11:03:10 PM9/21/03

"Carnivore269" <Carniv...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I've never tried velveeta, but here are my favourite cheeses.

King Island blue brie
King Island roaring forties blue
King Island double brie
King Island vintage black wax cheddar
King Island Surprise Bay cheddar
Ashgrove double gloucester
Ashgrove rubicon red cheddar
Ashgrove wasabi cheddar
Southcape marinated fetta
Cradle Mountain yellow ochre Gruyère

Cheers
Craig L.

Rick & Cyndi

Sep 21, 2003, 11:24:38 PM9/21/03
st...@temple.edu> wrote in message
==========

Yep. I use it for Mac & Cheese and for Beer Cheese Soup.

Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

MonaLassy

Sep 22, 2003, 4:12:13 AM9/22/03

I like Velveeta myself. Unlike a few here, I can eat it all by itself, rather
then just in recipi's....I used to love it this way, when younger, just loved
the taste. Have gravitated to other tastes these days, but still like it.
kreme kasse
butter kasse
( I get the second from my german deli, the first I've only had once from swiss
colony, and I'm just used to the german word for cheese, rather then the
american on these two)
extra extra sharp cheddar
creamy havarti
dill havarti
muenster
pepper jack

Mona

travis

Sep 22, 2003, 7:37:48 AM9/22/03
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 03:24:38 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
<rncha...@insightbbb.com> began spewing the following from their
cake-hole:

>st...@temple.edu> wrote in message

*perk* Beer cheese soup? Sounds interesting. Please share the
recipe? Thank you.

>Cyndi
><Remove a "b" to reply>

Rick & Cyndi

Sep 22, 2003, 2:26:52 PM9/22/03
<snip>
: >
: >Yep. I use it for Mac & Cheese and for Beer Cheese Soup.

:
: *perk* Beer cheese soup? Sounds interesting. Please share
the
: recipe? Thank you.
:======
Rut-row. Ummm, no "recipe" per se... Here's kind of a base
recipe that I just kind of add this or sub that depending upon
what's on hand:

Beer-Cheese Soup

1 pkg. Bacon or couple handfuls of diced ham
Butter
Flour
2 onions, chopped
Garlic cloves
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 bottle/can Beer (Leinenkugel's are great in this!!!)
Chicken stock (1-2 qts )
6 oz Velveeta-type block cheese, cubed
Salt
White Pepper, freshly ground
Cayenne Pepper
Nutmeg - just a little bit!
2 - 4 oz Cheddar Cheese, grated

Garnish with chives, or green onion slices (or with some of the
grated cheddar)

Fry your bacon (or brown the ham) in the soup pot. Drain the
bacon grease (but save it!) and set the meat aside. Saute the
onions, celery, and the carrots in butter (until almost tender).
About 5 minutes into cooking the vegetables add in some sliced or
minced garlic.

Add beer and chicken stock to the vegetables. Bring to a boil
and then simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Now toss in the cubed
cheese. Stir until the cheese is nicely melted and incorporated.

Add seasonings (salt, peppers, nutmeg). Stir in your bacon or
ham. Now, make a roux with equal amounts bacon grease (use
butter if you're useing ham in the soup) and flour. Once this is
made - stir about a half cup of your soup into your roux and then
add that into your soup. After this stir in your grated cheddar
cheese (stir in only half if you prefer to garnish individual
soup bowls with grated cheese). Remove from heat and serve and
garnish.

But hey, I don't have a recipe!

Cyndi

ScratchMonkey

Sep 22, 2003, 2:44:35 PM9/22/03

> The gouda we get at the cheese store is aged and orange in color. It
> is dry and crumbly. It has a strong flavor. We love it!

It's sorta like Parmesan, but it has a sorta scotch whisky overtone. You
can get different ages, with the older cheese having a sharper flavor, much
as Romano is sharper than Parmesan. Aged Gouda is my favorite of cheeses.
Let's just say it's too good to grate over pasta.

Erika

Sep 22, 2003, 4:36:43 PM9/22/03
wrote:

>Favorite cheeses in this order:
>
>Brie,
>Cream Havarti,
>Monterey Jack,
>Mozarella,
>Colby,
>Colby/jack mix,
>White Cheddar,
>Velveeta.

I like different cheeses for different things. To eat with crackers
and grapes/pears i like brie, camembert, gorgonzola and cantadou. To
shave over pasta I like parmesan. In a salad to go with barbecue I
like feta. To put on simple toast I like gouda, jarlsberg, prästost,
cheddar or billingeost.
On a burger I like processed cheese, tacky as it may be.

Greykits

Sep 22, 2003, 4:56:51 PM9/22/03
>> The gouda we get at the cheese store is aged and orange in color. It
>> is dry and crumbly. It has a strong flavor. We love it!
>
>It's sorta like Parmesan, but it has a sorta scotch whisky overtone. You
>can get different ages, with the older cheese having a sharper flavor, much
>as Romano is sharper than Parmesan. Aged Gouda is my favorite of cheeses.
>Let's just say it's too good to grate over pasta.

I forgot the type we buy. They write it on the tape that holds the wrapper and
I even looked for it last time but it was missing. Not surprising, as we are
so greedy that we tear open the cheese on the short drive home from the cheese
store. (which is St. Killian's, for any of you in Colorado).

It has those "crystals" that someone mentioned in here before. Before I ever
had them, I would have thought crystals in cheese as a gross thing. It's just
part of the experience now, sort of like having a coarse salt on a steak.

I like your Scotch whiskey description. The guy at the cheese store called it
caramel. I don't know how I would describe it myself. Cheese brought to the
nth level? Gonzo cheese? No, it's sharp yet mellow. Also I mentioned that it
was orange, and it is more pale apricot in color? I should write an ode to a
cheese, lol!

rharps.com

Curly Sue

Sep 25, 2003, 10:55:43 AM9/25/03
wrote:

>Favorite cheeses in this order:

>Brie,
>Cream Havarti,
>Monterey Jack,
>Mozarella,
>Colby,
>Colby/jack mix,
>White Cheddar,
>Velveeta.

My two favorites:
Parmeggiano reggiano (I have to agree with Molto Mario on this one)
Sharp cheddar

The following in no strict order:
Brie
Mozzarella
various bleu's
ricotta
provalone (sharp and mild)
cream cheese
muenster (even the cheap grocery store type)
St. Andre triple creme

actually, too many more to continue...

The power of cheese!

Sue(tm)

ScratchMonkey

Sep 25, 2003, 5:14:01 PM9/25/03

> I forgot the type we buy. They write it on the tape that holds the
> wrapper and I even looked for it last time but it was missing. Not
> surprising, as we are so greedy that we tear open the cheese on the
> short drive home from the cheese store. (which is St. Killian's, for
> any of you in Colorado).

Ask them for Prima Donna:

http://www.seacrestfoods.com/cheese/descriptions/holgoudaprima.html

This stuff should be illegal, it's so good.