Towns with same name as foods

tomb...@city-net.com

Oct 9, 2007, 4:59:30 PM10/9/07
What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
it is located.

Tom

Dee Dee

Oct 9, 2007, 5:05:25 PM10/9/07

<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote in message

Pickle Street, WV

Dee Dee

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 5:13:47 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 3:05 pm, "Dee Dee" <deedo...@shentel.net> wrote:
> <tomba...@city-net.com> wrote in message

Lobster, Maine.

> Dee Dee

--Bryan

Dave Smith

Oct 9, 2007, 5:17:57 PM10/9/07
Bobo BonoboŽ wrote:

> > > What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> > > is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> > > town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> > > Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> > > it is located.
> >
> > > Tom
> >
> > Pickle Street, WV
>
> Lobster, Maine.

Bird in Hand PA :-)

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 5:20:02 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 3:17 pm, Dave Smith <adavidsm...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Catfish Morse, LA

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 5:21:07 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 3:17 pm, Dave Smith <adavidsm...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

Cherry, TN

Scott

Oct 9, 2007, 5:22:29 PM10/9/07
Do counties count? Orange Co, CA

Little Malice

Oct 9, 2007, 5:25:55 PM10/9/07
One time on Usenet, "tomb...@city-net.com" <tomb...@city-net.com>
said:

Hershey doesn't count -- it's named after Milton Hershey, the
chocolatier. Now if there was a town name "Chocolate", we'd be
in business...

--
Jani in WA

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 5:26:17 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 3:22 pm, Scott <sws2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Grape, Arkansas.

Scott

Oct 9, 2007, 5:26:19 PM10/9/07
Bobo BonoboŽ wrote:

>>> Lobster, Maine.
>> Bird in Hand PA :-)
>
> Cherry, TN

Wheatland and Fruitland, both in Iowa

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 5:28:32 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 3:22 pm, Scott <sws2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Walnut, CA

Zilbandy

Oct 9, 2007, 5:29:37 PM10/9/07
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:59:30 -0700, "tomb...@city-net.com"
<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote:

>What are some towns with the same name as foods?

Strawberry, Arizona... a sweet little place. :)

--
Zilbandy

ChattyCathy

Oct 9, 2007, 5:26:52 PM10/9/07

Oyster Bay, South Africa
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

Message has been deleted

Tracy R.

Oct 9, 2007, 5:38:30 PM10/9/07
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:21:07 -0000, Bobo Bonobo® <CLAS...@BRICK.NET>
wrote:

Crab Orchard, TN

James Silverton

Oct 9, 2007, 5:41:09 PM10/9/07
l, wrote on Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:34:08 GMT:

??>> Do counties count? Orange Co, CA

lnl> Doesn't matter, the City of Orange is in Orange County, so
lnl> orange is covered.

I guess you are looking for generic names since many foods are
named after the place they were first made: Gruyere, Cheddar,
Worcester, ad nauseam!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Nancy Young

Oct 9, 2007, 5:45:56 PM10/9/07

"Zilbandy" <zilb...@comcastREMOVETHIS.net> wrote

Does Cranbury, NJ count? It used to be Cranberry.

nancy

faTjack

Oct 9, 2007, 5:48:29 PM10/9/07
BORN, RAISED && EDUCATED IN:::: ::::::::::

GUESS WARE??????????

CHICKEN GIZZARD, KENTUCKY

THIS AINT NO JOKE'

FATTY

<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote in message

Message has been deleted

Mitch

Oct 9, 2007, 5:53:09 PM10/9/07
Toad Lick, Arkansas? :)

faTjack

Oct 9, 2007, 5:57:27 PM10/9/07
MOMMA WAS FROM:::::::

GUESSWARE??????

RABBIT HASH,, KENTUCKY

FATTY

"faTjack" <faT...@slackjaw.com> wrote in message

Karen

Oct 9, 2007, 6:07:08 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 1:59 pm, "tomba...@city-net.com" <tomba...@city-net.com>
wrote:

Corona, California!

o To live on a street named lime in a town called Corona... aaahhhh.

PeterLucas

Oct 9, 2007, 6:25:06 PM10/9/07
"Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net> wrote in

Hamburger Hill?

Semper Fi.
(OT, but interesting to note that the Marines don't have 'ownership' of
this..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semper_fidelis )

Dave Smith

Oct 9, 2007, 6:37:52 PM10/9/07

Scott wrote:

> Wheatland and Fruitland, both in Iowa

And Fruitland Ontario.

Tara

Oct 9, 2007, 6:43:47 PM10/9/07
On Tue, 9 Oct 2007 17:45:56 -0400, "Nancy Young" <rjy...@comcast.net>
wrote:

>Does Cranbury, NJ count? It used to be Cranberry.

The Moffat family series of children's books are set in Cranbury,
Connecticut. They are some of my favorite children's literature.
There are many food references, too. The children grow a victory
garden. The middle child, Jane, longs for the chance to show off her
nice dinner manners. The mother has to mix a package of yellow food
coloring into their white margarine.

Tara

jmcquown

Oct 9, 2007, 7:31:50 PM10/9/07

That's not so very long ago :) My mother recalls mixing in yellow dye to
make margarine look like butter during WWII. Also, yellow margarine came
under some very strict laws. Dairy farmers felt they were being squeezed
out so additional taxes and the requirement NOT to dye margarine yellow was
imposed as early as before the turn of the 20th century:

http://www.margarine.org/historyofmargarine.html

Thank goodness, the margarine vs. butter wars aren't still going on! I cook
almost exclusively with butter when butter is called for. But I do admit to
using Benecol or something similar occasionally on a piece of toast or a
biscuit.

Jill

pam

Oct 9, 2007, 7:47:47 PM10/9/07
> Jill- Hide quoted text -

We are not familiar with U.S. city names, but we are from The Bahamas,
and there is a Cay off of The Exumas called Crab Cay.

Dave Smith

Oct 9, 2007, 8:06:59 PM10/9/07
jmcquown wrote:

> That's not so very long ago :) My mother recalls mixing in yellow dye to
> make margarine look like butter during WWII. Also, yellow margarine came
> under some very strict laws. Dairy farmers felt they were being squeezed
> out so additional taxes and the requirement NOT to dye margarine yellow was
> imposed as early as before the turn of the 20th century:

Not so long ago? It is almost a life time for me. I remember that from when
I was a kid back in the 50s. They were little round plastic things with a
liquid that looked deep yellow almost brown. When mixed with a one pound
block of white margarine it turned it into an insipid yellow colour. My
mother always thought it was unfair because butter was dies to make it a
uniform colour.

> Thank goodness, the margarine vs. butter wars aren't still going on! I cook
> almost exclusively with butter when butter is called for. But I do admit to
> using Benecol or something similar occasionally on a piece of toast or a
> biscuit.

I have never liked margarine as a substitute for butter on bread, biscuits
or muffins, but I prefer to butter it for grilled cheese and with Frank's
hot sauce for Buffalo wings.

Goomba38

Oct 9, 2007, 8:21:00 PM10/9/07
Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> That's not so very long ago :) My mother recalls mixing in yellow dye to
>> make margarine look like butter during WWII. Also, yellow margarine came
>> under some very strict laws. Dairy farmers felt they were being squeezed
>> out so additional taxes and the requirement NOT to dye margarine yellow was
>> imposed as early as before the turn of the 20th century:
>
> Not so long ago? It is almost a life time for me. I remember that from when
> I was a kid back in the 50s. They were little round plastic things with a
> liquid that looked deep yellow almost brown. When mixed with a one pound
> block of white margarine it turned it into an insipid yellow colour. My
> mother always thought it was unfair because butter was dies to make it a
> uniform colour.

It is way before my time but of course I've read of it. In fact think
I've read that some states still have laws about the use of dyes in
margarine, but I forget if it is to ban them or require them so as to
make sure they were NOT mistaken for real butter? I dunno....?

jmcquown

Oct 9, 2007, 8:24:30 PM10/9/07
Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> That's not so very long ago :) My mother recalls mixing in yellow
>> dye to make margarine look like butter during WWII. Also, yellow
>> margarine came under some very strict laws. Dairy farmers felt they
>> were being squeezed out so additional taxes and the requirement NOT
>> to dye margarine yellow was imposed as early as before the turn of
>> the 20th century:
>
> Not so long ago? It is almost a life time for me. I remember that
> from when I was a kid back in the 50s. They were little round plastic
> things with a liquid that looked deep yellow almost brown. When mixed
> with a one pound block of white margarine it turned it into an
> insipid yellow colour. My mother always thought it was unfair
> because butter was dies to make it a uniform colour.

Not so long ago in the grand scheme of things, Dave. Food (including the
margarine era) has been around for longer than we can say we've lived in.

My mother never served butter except on holidays. It was always butter at
Thanksgiving and Christmas. But otherwise she grew up with margarine as the
*thing*. At that time, margarine was less expensive. Now, it costs about
the same. I don't understand not using butter. However, her doctor did say
that using Benecol and similar products reduced her cholesterol
significantlyl. So, since she had already had surgery to unblock
cholesterol in the veins in her legs (which prevented her from losing her
foot), I have no problem using a butter substitute. I don't notice an
appreciable difference, but then I don't eat a lot of butter.

I don't butter most summer vegetables. I'm perfectly happy with yellow
squash, green beans, zucchini, lima beans, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus spears, etc. without a drop of butter. A
baked potato would be one thing that belies that fact. Must have butter and
salt on potatoes. And sweet potatoes. Also butter in acorn and other
winter squash. But I'm not going to die if I don't have butter on them.
These vegetables glaze nicely and don't require butter.

>> Thank goodness, the margarine vs. butter wars aren't still going on!
>> I cook almost exclusively with butter when butter is called for.
>> But I do admit to using Benecol or something similar occasionally on
>> a piece of toast or a biscuit.
>

> I have never liked margarine as a substitute for butter on bread,
> biscuits or muffins, but I prefer to butter it for grilled cheese
> and with Frank's hot sauce for Buffalo wings.

I haven't made hot wings in years, but when I did I broiled them. I used
butter. And cayenne pepper. And Tabasco. No deep frying. Broiling on a
cast iron griddle.

Grilled cheese, I don't care if it's butter or not. It's toasted bread in a
skillet with sliced cheese. Not haute cuisine. And if the biscuits are
nice and soft and fluffy they don't require butter (or a substitute) at all!

Jill

Little Malice

Oct 9, 2007, 8:31:03 PM10/9/07
One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> said:

<snip>

> My mother never served butter except on holidays. It was always butter at
> Thanksgiving and Christmas. But otherwise she grew up with margarine as the
> *thing*. At that time, margarine was less expensive. Now, it costs about
> the same.

I'd love to know where you shop -- butter is $2-$5 per pound here,
while most margarines are still under a dollar...

--
Jani in WA

Dave Smith

Oct 9, 2007, 8:32:46 PM10/9/07
jmcquown wrote:

> > Not so long ago? It is almost a life time for me. I remember that
> > from when I was a kid back in the 50s. They were little round plastic
> > things with a liquid that looked deep yellow almost brown. When mixed
> > with a one pound block of white margarine it turned it into an
> > insipid yellow colour. My mother always thought it was unfair
> > because butter was dies to make it a uniform colour.
> >
> Not so long ago in the grand scheme of things, Dave. Food (including the
> margarine era) has been around for longer than we can say we've lived in.
>
> My mother never served butter except on holidays. It was always butter at
> Thanksgiving and Christmas. But otherwise she grew up with margarine as the
> *thing*. At that time, margarine was less expensive.

My mother tried to economize by using margarine once in a while, but my
father wouldn't have anything to do with it. He was a country boy and had
been raised with lots of freshly churned butter. There was no fooling him.
My mother never liked butter and never used it herself. She never fried
things in butter, never used butter on bread or other baked goods and never
put it on vegetables. My wife loves butter. She uses huge hunks of it on
biscuits and on vegetables. She doesn't eat bread, but she probably uses at
least ten times as much butter as I do.

> Now, it costs about
> the same. I don't understand not using butter. However, her doctor did say
> that using Benecol and similar products reduced her cholesterol
> significantlyl. So, since she had already had surgery to unblock
> cholesterol in the veins in her legs (which prevented her from losing her
> foot), I have no problem using a butter substitute. I don't notice an
> appreciable difference, but then I don't eat a lot of butter.

I just can't bring myself to use margarine instead of butter. If there is
margarine instead of butter I just to without.

> I don't butter most summer vegetables. I'm perfectly happy with yellow
> squash, green beans, zucchini, lima beans, brussels sprouts, cabbage,
> broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus spears, etc. without a drop of butter.

Me too.... with the exception of asparagus. Butter and salt in a must.

Arri London

Oct 9, 2007, 8:38:32 PM10/9/07

"tomb...@city-net.com" wrote:

> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>

> Tom

That might be Pie Town, New Mexico.

Arri London

Oct 9, 2007, 8:40:10 PM10/9/07

Sandwich, MA (although originally named after the fourth Earl of
Sandwich)

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 8:47:56 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 6:31 pm, Little.Mal...@g33mail.com (Little Malice) wrote:

> One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" <jmcqu...@bellsouth.net> said:
>
> <snip>
>
> > My mother never served butter except on holidays. It was always butter at
> > Thanksgiving and Christmas. But otherwise she grew up with margarine as the
> > *thing*. At that time, margarine was less expensive. Now, it costs about
> > the same.
>
> I'd love to know where you shop -- butter is $2-$5 per pound here,
> while most margarines are still under a dollar...

She shops at a store in an alternate universe. You know, the one
where "Most whole chickens sell for anything from .29 to .39 (cents)
per pound."

> --
> Jani in WA

--Bryan

<RJ>

Oct 9, 2007, 9:06:53 PM10/9/07

TOMBSTONE ( pizza ) Arizona !

<rj>

jmcquown

Oct 9, 2007, 9:55:34 PM10/9/07

I shop at Schnuck's. It's a regional grocery store. Unless you're in the
Southern Illinois, Metro Missouri/ Mid-South area you've probably never seen
one.

Butter is the equivalent price to $2.99 per pound for margarine. Wasn't too
long ago there was a complaint about the price of butter on rfc. The price
of margarine went up exponentially. Seems if they can charge more for
butter, they also do so for margarine. Makes sense, from a marketing point
of view.

I buy butter when it's on sale and stock up. It freezes well. I don't cook
with margarine.

Jill

MareCat

Oct 9, 2007, 9:57:05 PM10/9/07
<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote in message
> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey.

Uh...Hershey.

I used to live in Sugar Land (*two words*, not one word, like The Sugarland
Express, by Steven Spielberg), TX (a suburb of Houston).

There's also Pearland, TX (where Chris Marksberry hails from...)

Mary

Bobo Bonobo®

Oct 9, 2007, 10:00:28 PM10/9/07
On Oct 9, 7:57 pm, "MareCat" <m_gormanNOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
> <tomba...@city-net.com> wrote in message

> > What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> > is Pancake, and of course Hersey.
>
> Uh...Hershey.
>
> I used to live in Sugar Land (*two words*, not one word, like The Sugarland
> Express, by Steven Spielberg), TX (a suburb of Houston).

Tom DeLay's hometown.

> There's also Pearland, TX (where Chris Marksberry hails from...)
>
> Mary

--Bryan

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 9, 2007, 10:04:02 PM10/9/07
Oh pshaw, on Tue 09 Oct 2007 06:06:53p, <RJ> meant to say...

Did anyone mentiom Cherry Hill, NJ?

--
Wayne Boatwright

All dogs go to heaven. Cats watch them leave.

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 9, 2007, 10:04:27 PM10/9/07
Oh pshaw, on Tue 09 Oct 2007 06:06:53p, <RJ> meant to say...

> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:07:08 -0000, Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Does Hershey, Pa count?

deja.blues

Oct 9, 2007, 10:18:03 PM10/9/07

"Dave Smith" <adavi...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> That's not so very long ago :) My mother recalls mixing in yellow dye to
>> make margarine look like butter during WWII. Also, yellow margarine came
>> under some very strict laws. Dairy farmers felt they were being squeezed
>> out so additional taxes and the requirement NOT to dye margarine yellow
>> was
>> imposed as early as before the turn of the 20th century:
>
> Not so long ago? It is almost a life time for me. I remember that from
> when
> I was a kid back in the 50s. They were little round plastic things with a
> liquid that looked deep yellow almost brown. When mixed with a one pound
> block of white margarine it turned it into an insipid yellow colour. My
> mother always thought it was unfair because butter was dies to make it a
> uniform colour.

Twenty years or so ago, after reading about how margarine is made in "The
Secret House - The Extraordinary Science of an Ordinary Day", I never could
bring myself to touch it.
Better a little real butter than a lot of that horrid conglomeration.

MareCat

Oct 9, 2007, 10:42:17 PM10/9/07
"Bobo Bonobo®" <CLAS...@BRICK.NET> wrote in message

> On Oct 9, 7:57 pm, "MareCat" <m_gormanNOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> <tomba...@city-net.com> wrote in message

>> > What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
>> > is Pancake, and of course Hersey.
>>
>> Uh...Hershey.
>>
>> I used to live in Sugar Land (*two words*, not one word, like The
>> Sugarland
>> Express, by Steven Spielberg), TX (a suburb of Houston).
>
> Tom DeLay's hometown.

HA! One of the reasons we moved away from there (seriously)--even though it
was considered to be the "3rd-best place to live in the U.S." (or something
like that -- http://tinyurl.com/yr5pqd).

Of course, then moving up to The Woodlands, TX, wasn't much better (in that
respect), but at least it was a beautiful place to live and a nice place to
raise a family. We finally moved back to the northeast to be near our
families and have been pretty happy here.

Mary

MJB

Oct 9, 2007, 11:21:59 PM10/9/07

<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote in message
> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

Just off the top of my head:

Whitefish, MT
Salmon, ID
Buffalo, WY
Spearfish, SD

Those are just places I've been that come to mind. I figure there have got
to be hundreds.

MJB

Little Malice

Oct 10, 2007, 12:10:59 AM10/10/07
One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> said:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, "jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> said:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> >> My mother never served butter except on holidays. It was always
> >> butter at Thanksgiving and Christmas. But otherwise she grew up
> >> with margarine as the *thing*. At that time, margarine was less
> >> expensive. Now, it costs about the same.
> >
> > I'd love to know where you shop -- butter is $2-$5 per pound here,
> > while most margarines are still under a dollar...
>
> I shop at Schnuck's. It's a regional grocery store. Unless you're in the
> Southern Illinois, Metro Missouri/ Mid-South area you've probably never seen
> one.
>
> Butter is the equivalent price to $2.99 per pound for margarine. Wasn't too
> long ago there was a complaint about the price of butter on rfc. The price
> of margarine went up exponentially. Seems if they can charge more for
> butter, they also do so for margarine. Makes sense, from a marketing point
> of view.

Must be a regional thing; margarine is still cheap here. But I like
butter better.

> I buy butter when it's on sale and stock up. It freezes well. I don't cook
> with margarine.

Me neither. Mom always did, but she didn't know about trans fats...

--
Jani in WA

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 10, 2007, 12:21:33 AM10/10/07
Oh pshaw, on Tue 09 Oct 2007 09:10:59p, Little Malice meant to say...

I would prefer to eat sweet, unsalted butter all the time, but for
cholesterol and trans-fat reasons we opt for a margarine. We don't like
the highly touted brands like Benecol (sp), as they seem waxy, don't melt
well, and are too pricey for something I don't even like.

We have found a Canadian brand called Canola Harvest which has very good
flavor and texture, melts well, and is reasonably priced. It has 0 trans
fats and is cholesterol free. I use it primarily in cooking, on
vegetables, etc.

We still eat real butter on occasion. I cannot eat really good bread
without real butter. <sigh>

Dee Dee

Oct 10, 2007, 12:25:41 AM10/10/07

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message > We still
eat real butter on occasion. I cannot eat really good bread
> without real butter. <sigh>
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Ahh, Wayne. I'm just the opposite. Years ago I stopped liking butter
(really good butter, as well) on good bread. I prefer it without butter
'everytime'! I don't even butter toast anymore - I know it's been 20-30
years.

It doesn't do any good to think of all the calories I've missed, because I
know that I made up for them by eating my share of other fats. It'll all
get you in the end!

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 10, 2007, 12:34:57 AM10/10/07
Oh pshaw, on Tue 09 Oct 2007 09:25:41p, Dee Dee meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message > We
> still eat real butter on occasion. I cannot eat really good bread
>> without real butter. <sigh>
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>

> Ahh, Wayne. I'm just the opposite. Years ago I stopped liking butter
> (really good butter, as well) on good bread. I prefer it without butter
> 'everytime'! I don't even butter toast anymore - I know it's been 20-30
> years.

I don't know which I like best, the butter or the bread. :-)

I rarely butter toast, but I do like a spot of jam or preserves. I dislike
jelly (no texture).

> It doesn't do any good to think of all the calories I've missed, because
> I know that I made up for them by eating my share of other fats. It'll
> all get you in the end!

Literally! :-)

Dee Dee

Oct 10, 2007, 12:44:12 AM10/10/07

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_@_gmail.com> wrote in message > I rarely
butter toast, but I do like a spot of jam or preserves. I dislike
> jelly (no texture).
> Wayne Boatwright

My eyes barely glance at jelly. I do wonder who cares more for jelly than
jam/preserves.

jmcquown

Oct 10, 2007, 2:25:37 AM10/10/07

I don't eat enough butter to worry about trans fats. A pound of butter
lasts me 2 months, if not longer. I haven't deep fried anything in years so
I'm not worried about that. I use a lot of olive oil for pan-frying
seafood. I'm gonna die, but at least I'll die happy knowing I wasn't eating
crappy margarine on my toast ;)

Jill

jmcquown

Oct 10, 2007, 2:43:38 AM10/10/07
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, on Tue 09 Oct 2007 06:06:53p, <RJ> meant to say...
>
>> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:07:08 -0000, Karen <kso...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Corona, California!
>>>
>>> o To live on a street named lime in a town called Corona... aaahhhh.
>>>

>> TOMBSTONE ( pizza ) Arizona !
>>

>> <rj>
>>

> Did anyone mentiom Cherry Hill, NJ?

Damn! Why didn't I think of that? I lived just a few miles from there.

Jill

ChattyCathy

Oct 10, 2007, 2:48:36 AM10/10/07

Heh. I seem to recall somebody 'round here mentioning a place called Cow
Hill (somewhere)? Would that count? ;)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible

jmcquown

Oct 10, 2007, 6:13:40 AM10/10/07
tomb...@city-net.com wrote:
> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

Only if you consider McDonald's "food"... McDonald, Ohio. I'm not even sure
it's there anymore. I sure can't locate it on an Atlas.

jmcquown

Oct 10, 2007, 6:25:17 AM10/10/07

Sweet stuff, no thanks! No jam. No jelly. Give me butter. Sorry, no
margarine.

Damn. I think I'm going to brown a link of Spanish chorizo and scramble a
couple of eggs with creme fraiche. Then maybe I'll toast a slice of
sourdough bread. I'll serve the eggs on top of the toasted bread. And
serve the chorizo on the side. Sort of like Gordon Ramsay, yes? (laughing)

Jill

hubert liverman

Oct 10, 2007, 7:00:38 AM10/10/07
Pine Apple and Lower Peachtree in Alabama

Hubert Liverman
Opelika, Al.

kilikini

Oct 10, 2007, 7:33:13 AM10/10/07
Nancy Young wrote:
> "Zilbandy" <zilb...@comcastREMOVETHIS.net> wrote
>
>> On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:59:30 -0700, "tomb...@city-net.com"

>> <tomb...@city-net.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What are some towns with the same name as foods?
>>
>> Strawberry, Arizona... a sweet little place. :)
>
> Does Cranbury, NJ count? It used to be Cranberry.
>
> nancy

That's about as close as Plant City, FL. LOL.

kili

kilikini

Oct 10, 2007, 7:34:27 AM10/10/07
tomb...@city-net.com wrote:
> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

Tarpon Springs, FL

(a tarpon is a fish)

kili

Dee Dee

Oct 10, 2007, 8:12:28 AM10/10/07

"jmcquown" <jmcq...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

I was going to say that butter contains no trans fats; however, I looked at
a site where it says that butter contains per tablespoon .3 grams of trans
fat; whereas margarine contains 3 grams of trans fat.

It goes on to say that: "Another note: Butter naturally contains trans fat,
but it's a good kind of transfat."
http://www.healthcastle.com/butter-or-margarine.shtml

Dee Dee

Scott

Oct 10, 2007, 9:09:12 AM10/10/07
jmcquown wrote:

> I shop at Schnuck's. It's a regional grocery store. Unless you're in the
> Southern Illinois, Metro Missouri/ Mid-South area you've probably never seen
> one.

We have a Schnucks in Bettendorf. I never been there before but I will
check it out.

Virginia Tadrzynski

Oct 10, 2007, 10:04:39 AM10/10/07

<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote in message
> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

Not a town, but the street I live on is Applebutter Hill Road.
-ginny

jmcquown

Oct 10, 2007, 10:04:57 AM10/10/07

Hey, I was in Bettendorf last month! Briefly. We were at the art show at
Lindsay Park in Davenport. We absolutely love the restaurant 'Tirimasu' in
Bettendorf.

Jill

Ophelia

Oct 10, 2007, 11:04:39 AM10/10/07

That is pretty:)

jmcquown

Oct 10, 2007, 11:41:42 AM10/10/07

We're all gonna die, Dee Dee. I don't worry much about eating food with
trans fats. I didn't worry when they told us bacon contained nitrites. I
didn't worry when eggs were supposed to be bad for us... no, wait, eggs are
okay. When it comes to food news it's always, "Don't!... No wait, it's
okay." I'm not going to live my life not enjoying food just because of some
news report. Trans fats? Heh. If I'm gonna fry (which I rarely do!) I'll
buy some friggin lard.

Jill

kilikini

Oct 10, 2007, 11:55:38 AM10/10/07
Dee Dee wrote:

> I was going to say that butter contains no trans fats; however, I
> looked at a site where it says that butter contains per tablespoon .3
> grams of trans fat; whereas margarine contains 3 grams of trans fat.
>
> It goes on to say that: "Another note: Butter naturally contains
> trans fat, but it's a good kind of transfat."
> http://www.healthcastle.com/butter-or-margarine.shtml
>
> Dee Dee

But that's so minor. We go through a pound of butter a week. We saute in
it, we use it on veggies, it's a staple in this house. My cholesterol is
fine. I guess it partly depends on genes. But, until anything changes, you
won't find margarine in this house. I gotta have my butter! :~)

kili <------ who grew up on margarine and found it disgusting.

Nancy2

Oct 10, 2007, 12:10:37 PM10/10/07
On Oct 9, 3:59 pm, "tomba...@city-net.com" <tomba...@city-net.com>
wrote:

> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

It's a stretch, but there's Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay), Alaska.

N.

dtwright37

Oct 10, 2007, 12:11:32 PM10/10/07
wrote:
> What are some towns with the same name as foods?

Pecan, GA
Chili, IN
Trout, ID (and Truchas, NM -- Spanish for trout)
Corn, OK
Turkey, NC
Sage, AR

david

Nancy2

Oct 10, 2007, 12:13:35 PM10/10/07
> That's not so very long ago :) My mother recalls mixing in yellow dye to
> make margarine look like butter during WWII. Also, yellow margarine came
> under some very strict laws. Dairy farmers felt they were being squeezed
> out so additional taxes and the requirement NOT to dye margarine yellow was
> imposed as early as before the turn of the 20th century:

We did that when I was in grade school, and that was after the War
(II) ended (late 40s, early 50s).

N.

Becca

Oct 10, 2007, 1:11:38 PM10/10/07
Dee Dee wrote:

> It doesn't do any good to think of all the calories I've missed, because I
> know that I made up for them by eating my share of other fats. It'll all
> get you in the end!

<looking behind me> You're right!

Becca

blake murphy

Oct 10, 2007, 1:18:23 PM10/10/07
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 02:00:28 -0000, Bobo Bonobo® <CLAS...@BRICK.NET>
wrote:

>On Oct 9, 7:57 pm, "MareCat" <m_gormanNOS...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> <tomba...@city-net.com> wrote in message

>> > What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
>> > is Pancake, and of course Hersey.
>>

>> Uh...Hershey.
>>
>> I used to live in Sugar Land (*two words*, not one word, like The Sugarland
>> Express, by Steven Spielberg), TX (a suburb of Houston).
>
>Tom DeLay's hometown.

that should read 'fruitcake tom delay's...'

your pal,
blake

Scott

Oct 10, 2007, 1:22:06 PM10/10/07
MareCat wrote:

> HA! One of the reasons we moved away from there (seriously)--even though it
> was considered to be the "3rd-best place to live in the U.S." (or something
> like that -- http://tinyurl.com/yr5pqd).

Hey I don't see a category for most fast food drive thrus :)

Ophelia

Oct 10, 2007, 1:14:16 PM10/10/07

<G>

eastba...@yahoo.com

Oct 10, 2007, 4:45:32 PM10/10/07
wrote:

> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

Beverages OK?

Hot Coffee, Mississippi

Message has been deleted

Dee Dee

Oct 10, 2007, 6:59:22 PM10/10/07

> Jill

Definitely I know I'm going to die; I got a wake-up call when the grim
reaper gave me a hint when I got cancer; as a result, there are certain
foods that I do stay away from. Other foods I do eat that forever-well
people would never eat.

I don't deep fry either. Bought a deep fryer in the last year or so; never
used and gave it new to the thrift shop. Not because I was 'afraid' to eat
deep fry, it's just that I thought I'd might try it, but never did, and
found out that I wasn't interested.

Everything I eat does not center around whether it's good for me -- there
are only a few things I do stay away from if I feel that it is not good for
me, or I darned well don't like it.

Dee Dee

Gregory Morrow

Oct 10, 2007, 8:38:51 PM10/10/07

kilikini wrote:

Ah, Plant City - the "Caladium Capital of the World"...!!!

--
Best
Greg

BOB

Oct 10, 2007, 8:55:34 PM10/10/07

<tomb...@city-net.com> wrote in message

> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.
>
> Tom

Two Egg, Florida

Wayne Boatwright

Oct 10, 2007, 9:00:45 PM10/10/07
Oh pshaw, on Wed 10 Oct 2007 05:38:51p, Gregory Morrow meant to say...

Ah, caladiums... I once lived in a high-rise building that had continuous
windows running across a 20 foot wall. The windows had a deep sill and I
lined the whole thing with caladiums. 'twas very pretty.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The Rule of Fives states that all things happen in
fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of
five, or are somehow directly or indirectly
related to a five.

Myrl Jeffcoat

Oct 10, 2007, 9:19:35 PM10/10/07
Apple Hill, California
Apple Valley, California
Fruitland, Idaho
Fruitland, Maryland
Fruitland, Georgia
Cherryvale, Kansas
Cherryville, NC
Orangevale, California
Orangeville, Illinois
Pepperville, Nebraska
Olivehurst, California
Oliveville, Tennessee
Hershey, Pennsylvania
Chili Gulch, California
Chili, New York
Chili Town, New York
Citrus Heights, California
Walnut Hills, Ohio
Walnut Creek, California
Walnut Grove, California
Apple Lake, Wisconsin
Grapeland, Texas
Grape Hill, West Virginia
Lemon Grove, California
Lemon Springs, North Carolina
Butterville, New York
Buttertown, Maine
Plum Valley, California

. . .and I live in SACRATOMATO, California

MareCat

Oct 10, 2007, 10:40:44 PM10/10/07
"Michael "Dog3"" <don'ta...@donttell.huh> wrote in message

> Cheesequake, NJ

Heh. DH is from a town near Cheesequake, NJ. When he was in elementary
school, the area experienced an earthquake. At school that day, the music
teacher taught them all a song that she made up that included the lyrics
"There was an earthquake...in Cheesequake...the other day..."

So, now, whenever we drive through that area and pass the exit for
Cheesequake, we both break out into song.

Yes, I married a man who's as silly as I am. ;)

Mary

Little Malice

Oct 10, 2007, 11:26:32 PM10/10/07

Thank you, Dee! I had the same thought, but when I tried checking some
old links to nutrition sites, they were mostly useless...

--
Jani in WA

Little Malice

Oct 10, 2007, 11:28:55 PM10/10/07

I admit, I like Imperial margarine in cubes (or sticks for you folks
further east), not the soft stuff. That's what Mom always used,
because we couldn't affort butter. I stopped buying it, because of the
trans-fat issue -- it might turn out to be hype, but I figure it's
an easy change to make. We mostly pan-fry in olive oil, but we use
butter too. And I especially like some on my popcorn... :-)

--
Jani in WA

Julian Vrieslander

Oct 11, 2007, 12:47:20 AM10/11/07
In article <feifjh$a1d$1...@registered.motzarella.org>,
"Dee Dee" <deed...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I was going to say that butter contains no trans fats; however, I looked at
> a site where it says that butter contains per tablespoon .3 grams of trans
> fat; whereas margarine contains 3 grams of trans fat.
>
> It goes on to say that: "Another note: Butter naturally contains trans fat,
> but it's a good kind of transfat."
> http://www.healthcastle.com/butter-or-margarine.shtml

I just consulted the RFC official nutritionist (Cindy Fuller) who is
sitting on the other side of the room from me. She agrees that the
transfat in butter is a good kind: conjugated linoleic acid.

But if you drop butter on the floor and let it sit around for too long,
it turns into linoleum... ;-)

--
Julian Vrieslander

Green Xenon [Radium]

Oct 11, 2007, 2:09:35 AM10/11/07

Butter is always better than margarine.

Butter tastes so much better than margarine. Margarine stinks like human
kakaa!

I love butter and cream. In fact, I'd much rather use butter/cream than
those stinky hydrogenated-veggie oil products they sell at the store.

Piece of advice: do NOT eat krispy-creme doughnuts. They have no cream
or butter in them at all. They use kakaa-stinky vegetable oil in their
doughnuts, then they deep-fry them in the oil!!!! Talk about disgusting.
Most importantly, they are grossly over-priced!!!!!!!!!!

I once entered krispy creme shop and the odor of the hydrogenated
vegetable oil made me puke.

WTF do these desserts/sweets factories have to use veggie oil?? Why
don't they just use butter and cream in their products instead?? Sure it
is more expensive but who cares? Its much better than the stink of
margarine and the diarrhea that following the comsumption of margarine.

I hate non-dairy whipped toppings. They stink badly! Boycott them!!!!!!!

Hydrogenated vegetable oils cause fates much worse than MIs or anginae.

I use butter on everything. For all meals. In the morning I drink coffee
with heavy cream instead of milk.

Food would be totally unappetizing without butter/cream.

Hydrogenated vegetable oil + sugar = human kakaa

My favorite dairy product is "sweet" [i.e. unsalted and non-soured],
annato-free, purely-natural, completely-organic butter/cream made from
the milk of healthy cows.

Whenever I buy any desserts/sweets, I check the ingredients. If there is
any oil, then good-bye. Sweets/desserts must have butter/cream and must
not have any vegetable oil -- hydrogenated or not.

I notice that the bakery in one of the local stores I visit uses
non-diary whipped topping in their so-called "cream puffs". These puffs
are free of any diary cream and therefore they stink like human kakaa.

Its time to toss all non-dairy butter/cream substitutes into the dumpster.

Non-dairy substitutes for butter/cream have the following characteristics:

1. Stink like thick human diarrhea kakaa foam

2. Cause silent-but-deadly wet farts

3. Cause the consumer's kakaa and farts to be unusually-malodorous

4. Cause thick foamy diarrhea in humans

5. Cause the consumer to unintentionally do stinky foamy diarrhea kakaa
in his/her pants when [s]he attempts to fart

Regards,

Radium

Vilco

Oct 11, 2007, 7:28:34 AM10/11/07
tomb...@city-net.com wrote:
> What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> it is located.

In Italy there's a whole lot of town names like that:
Filetto (fillet)
Acqua (water)
Mirto (myrtle)
Crema (custard)
Gallo (cock)
Carpe (carps)
Riccione (a quality of salad)
Limone (lemon)
Noci (walnuts)
Ossi (bones)
Girasole (sunflower)
Mele (apples)

And a ton of town names which have been applied to local products, as
Gorgonzola, Marsala, Alcamo, Gradoli, Parma and reggio Emilia, Felino...
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Dee Dee

Oct 11, 2007, 8:47:10 AM10/11/07

"Little Malice" <Little...@g33mail.com> wrote in message

We mostly pan-fry in olive oil, but we use
> butter too. And I especially like some on my popcorn... :-)
>
> --
> Jani in WA

We mostly pan-fry in olive oil, too; but sometimes we combine oo and butter,
depending on what we are pan-frying.

I eat popcorn seldom, but when I do, I sometimes use a combination of melted
butter and coconut oil; they say that it is the coconut oil that makes it so
good/different in the theatre.

Dee Dee, who finds nothing wrong with coconut oil, extra-virgin, that is ;-)

Dee Dee

Oct 11, 2007, 8:48:39 AM10/11/07

"MareCat" <m_gorma...@comcast.net> wrote in message

That's the kind of silliness in life I love. It's hard to explain to people
who don't have it. It's nutty and sweet.

Dee Dee

Oct 11, 2007, 8:49:36 AM10/11/07

"Vilco" <a...@b.invalid> wrote in message

Roquefort, Champagne, Camembert
Dee Dee

Pan Ohco

Oct 11, 2007, 10:36:02 AM10/11/07
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 08:49:36 -0400, "Dee Dee" <deed...@shentel.net>
wrote:

pineapple al.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Oct 11, 2007, 2:07:22 PM10/11/07
cath...@mailinator.com wrote:
>Oyster Bay, South Africa

Oyser Bay, Long Island. Billy Joel made it famous with "Billy The Kid".

Orlando

Nancy Young

Oct 11, 2007, 2:27:41 PM10/11/07

"Orlando Enrique Fiol" <of...@verizon.net> wrote

> cath...@mailinator.com wrote:
>>Oyster Bay, South Africa
>
> Oyser Bay, Long Island. Billy Joel made it famous with "Billy The Kid".

I thought it was famous because of that Tiffany window.

nancy

Goomba38

Oct 11, 2007, 2:50:26 PM10/11/07

LOL, a LOT of people made Oyster Bay famous long before Billy Joel.

Little Malice

Oct 11, 2007, 3:30:58 PM10/11/07
One time on Usenet, "Dee Dee" <deed...@shentel.net> said:

I've never tried it -- do you use equal parts or more of one than the
other. I know it's supposed to be bad for you, but given how rarely I
eat popcorn, I'm not too worried...

--
Jani in WA

Dee Dee

Oct 11, 2007, 4:26:16 PM10/11/07

"Little Malice" <Little...@g33mail.com> wrote in message

By the eye -- equally, but not rigidly so - a little scoop of butter, a
little scoop of coconut oil (if it is a little cool) or eyeball both.
Depending on your microwave, put it in to melt for about 20 seconds, (put a
lid over it or the oil will go flying all over).

I guess since it's now liquid, you could add a flavor ... what might that
be? Chives, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, any dried spice in the
cubbard (cupboard) ; don't know what might be good.

Pour it over popcorn. To me, the flavor is just a little better with both.
On popcorn, tho good, 100% butter is just a little too "buttery" for me
;-))

Dee Dee

Message has been deleted

Joseph Littleshoes

Oct 11, 2007, 5:23:16 PM10/11/07
Vilco wrote:
> tomb...@city-net.com wrote:
>
>>What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
>>is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
>>town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
>>Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
>>it is located.

Does a flavour count? I was raised in a place called "Sweet Home." Not
the Alabama one, other side of the country.
--
JL

Little Malice

Oct 11, 2007, 5:35:25 PM10/11/07
One time on Usenet, "Dee Dee" <deed...@shentel.net> said:

> "Little Malice" <Little...@g33mail.com> wrote in message
> > One time on Usenet, "Dee Dee" <deed...@shentel.net> said:
> >> "Little Malice" <Little...@g33mail.com> wrote in message
> >> We mostly pan-fry in olive oil, but we use

> >> We mostly pan-fry in olive oil, too; but sometimes we combine oo and

> >> butter,
> >> depending on what we are pan-frying.

> >> I eat popcorn seldom, but when I do, I sometimes use a combination of
> >> melted
> >> butter and coconut oil; they say that it is the coconut oil that makes it
> >> so
> >> good/different in the theatre.
> >>
> >> Dee Dee, who finds nothing wrong with coconut oil, extra-virgin, that is
> >> ;-)
> >
> > I've never tried it -- do you use equal parts or more of one than the
> > other. I know it's supposed to be bad for you, but given how rarely I
> > eat popcorn, I'm not too worried...

> By the eye -- equally, but not rigidly so - a little scoop of butter, a

> little scoop of coconut oil (if it is a little cool) or eyeball both.
> Depending on your microwave, put it in to melt for about 20 seconds, (put a
> lid over it or the oil will go flying all over).

> I guess since it's now liquid, you could add a flavor ... what might that
> be? Chives, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, any dried spice in the
> cubbard (cupboard) ; don't know what might be good.
>
> Pour it over popcorn. To me, the flavor is just a little better with both.
> On popcorn, tho good, 100% butter is just a little too "buttery" for me
> ;-))

Thanks for the info, I'll have to find some coconut oil and give this
a try. The flavors are a good idea too. One combo I like is melter
butter, chili powder, and garlic powder. My grandfather taught me that
one, very yummy... :-)

--
Jani in WA

Little Malice

Oct 11, 2007, 5:36:21 PM10/11/07
One time on Usenet, jpst...@isp.com said:
> Vilco wrote:
> > tomb...@city-net.com wrote:
> >
> >>What are some towns with the same name as foods? In Pennsylvania there
> >>is Pancake, and of course Hersey. I used to live in Arkansas where
> >>town on the Mississippi was named tomato.Salt Lake City would qualify.
> >>Somehow I think there is a town named Pie, but I cannot remember where
> >>it is located.
>
> Does a flavour count? I was raised in a place called "Sweet Home." Not
> the Alabama one, other side of the country.

Oregon? I have/had family from there. I'm not sure what happened to
any of them though; it's been years...

--

http://www.myspace.com/littlemalice

Dee Dee

Oct 11, 2007, 6:48:57 PM10/11/07

"Little Malice" <Little...@g33mail.com> wrote in message

You had one darned good grandfather.
Dee Dee

Little Malice

Oct 11, 2007, 7:18:14 PM10/11/07

> You had one darned good grandfather.

That I did. He taught Sibling and I to appreciate a good steak,
artichokes, homemade Roqueforte dressing, and many other tasty
things. I was very young when he passed, but I'll always remember
his cooking, and his loving personality...

--
Jani in WA

kilikini

Oct 12, 2007, 5:49:47 AM10/12/07
l, not -l wrote:

> On 11-Oct-2007, "Green Xenon [Radium]" <gluc...@excite.com> wrote:
>
>> I once entered krispy creme shop and the odor of the hydrogenated
>> vegetable oil made me puke.
>
> Wow, I bet you must hate driving by KFC or Long John Silver's; the
> ones here (STL metro) all smell of rancid fat, even when just driving
> by, imagine what it must be like inside.

They smell like that here, too, when you drive by. I can't believe people
eat that crap.

kili

It is loading more messages.