Request for Red and for Green chili with pork

Garyl Kim Self

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
In Fort Worth, Texas I had some great "Red Chili" and also Green Chili with
pork. Can anyone help with a couple of recipes?

Kim
gks...@nas.com

Jack Schidt

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

Garyl Kim Self <gks...@nas.com> wrote in message

I found this on the net; it was close to what I do and I've modified it a
bit.

GREEN-CHILE STEW
================

Ingredients:
------------
6 - 8 fresh long green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeds removed
and cut into coarse chunks (note 1)
1 medium onion, chopped fine
3 to 5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp mexican oregano (not the european, but if that's all you have, you
won't suffer)
1 tsp cumin (toasted and mortar and pestle)
1 lb lean pork, cut into 1" cubes
Juice of 1/2 lime
Up to 1-1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt, black pepper, and hot green chiles to taste (see note 2)
1 tblsp olive oil
1 potato, cubed
Instructions:
-------------
Heat Dutch oven or medium saucepan over high. Saute onion, garlic,
oregano and cumin until onion is clear. Add green chiles, saute and
stir. Add pork cubes and stir to seize all sides of the pork; add lime
juice and mix.

Now add chicken stock, stopping when most of the pork cubes are covered
with liquid. Add the potatoes. Stir well, reduce the heat to a simmer,
cover and simmer
Check occasionally to make sure the stuff isn't scorching on the bottom.

I let mine simmer for about an hour or so, then add hot chiles. The lime
juice goes in at the end. Lime helps marry the flavors. The starch from
the potatoes
helps thicken the sauce a bit.

note 1) You'll want fresh chiles for this. THE CANNED CHILES WON'T DO (too
sour). I don't know where you are, but the best green chiles are the new
mexican green. Anaheims will do if you can't find the new mex. I've even
used poblanos and no one griped.

note 2) The green chiles are mild so you may want to heat things up with
serranos or jalapenos. Chipotles are good too.

Hope this is what you're looking for and might I suggest a plate of juevos
rancheros?

Jack

NOn_cra...@pacbell.net

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
"Jack Schidt" <jack....@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> Garyl Kim Self <gks...@nas.com> wrote in message
> > In Fort Worth, Texas I had some great "Red Chili" and also Green Chili
> with
> > pork. Can anyone help with a couple of recipes?
> >
> > Kim
> > gks...@nas.com
>
> I found this on the net; it was close to what I do and I've modified it a
> bit.
>
> GREEN-CHILE STEW
> ================
[recipe snipped]

> Hope this is what you're looking for and might I suggest a plate of
> juevos rancheros?

Hi Jack,

Looks like a nice Chili Verde recipe. I'll make a batch this weekend.
Mmmmm. Over juevos rancheros the next morning, with a tumbler of tequila!
When I hit a new Mexican restaurant, Chili Verde is always my first order.
If it's good, I'll be back; if not, "Adios, My Friend".

--
Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com

Usenet for the Web

Jack Schidt

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

<NOn_cra...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> "Jack Schidt" <jack....@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> > Garyl Kim Self <gks...@nas.com> wrote in message
> > > In Fort Worth, Texas I had some great "Red Chili" and also Green Chili
> > with
> > > pork. Can anyone help with a couple of recipes?
> > >
> > > Kim
> > > gks...@nas.com
> >
> > I found this on the net; it was close to what I do and I've modified it
> > bit.
> >
> > GREEN-CHILE STEW
> > ================
> [recipe snipped]
> > Hope this is what you're looking for and might I suggest a plate of
> > juevos rancheros?
> >
> Hi Jack,
>
> Looks like a nice Chili Verde recipe. I'll make a batch this weekend.
> When I hit a new Mexican restaurant, Chili Verde is always my first order.
> If it's good, I'll be back; if not, "Adios, My Friend".
>
> --
> Nick, Retired in the San Fernando Valley www.boonchoo.com

> Usenet for the Web

amen to that, amigo

Debra Fritz

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
On Fri, 07 Jan 00 21:55:39 GMT, gks...@nas.com (Garyl Kim Self)
wrote:

>In Fort Worth, Texas I had some great "Red Chili" and also Green Chili with
>pork. Can anyone help with a couple of recipes?
>
>Kim
>gks...@nas.com

Here's the one I made for the last San Diego cookin.

Debra

Pork & Green Chili-basic recipe from Sandra, who works at the meat
counter of a local Mexican Supermarket.

4 pounds boneless pork cut into about 1" sized pieces
15 fresh serrano chili's- these were almost the same size as fresh
jalapeno's- about 3" long and 2" wide after they were split in
half.
5 fresh Anaheim chili's
1 large onion
2-3 cloves garlic
10 Tomatillos
1 tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. dried marjoram or a few spring of fresh marjoram
Salt & Pepper
1-2 TBS. oil

Meat- I used the meat Sandra suggested. It looked almost like the
"Country" style ribs, without the bone. It had a lot of fat on it
and she insisted you need to have the fat to brown the meat
properly. I trimmed off some, but left more than I normally would.

Cut the meat into cubes. I removed the "silver skin" and some of the
fat. Heat a large skillet, add the oil , and fry the meat until it
is well browned and almost crispy on the outside. I did this in
batches.

While the meat is browning, clean, de-seed and rough chop the
peppers. Be warned- either wear rubber gloves or be careful about
touching your face..

Peel and rough chop the onion & garlic. Husk tomatillos, wash and
rough chop..

Put peppers, onion, garlic, tomatillos in food processor..process
until fine chopped. They can all be done together.

After all the meat has been well browned, add the processed veggies,
cumin and dry marjoram. Allow this to continue "frying" with the
meat for about 5 minutes or until the liquid from the veggies has
been absorbed. Stir to prevent burning.

Add about a cup of water, salt & pepper and cook ( covered) over low
heat for about 30-40 minutes. If you are using fresh marjoram, add
it now.

Do not cover the meat in water..there should be just enough to keep
things from burning. Sandra was emphatic about not using a lot of
water since this is green chili, not a soup. Stir 2 or 3 times while
cooking.

After 30-40 minutes, stir and taste..adjust seasoning...cook
uncovered another 15 minutes. Add more water if needed, so there is
some juice.

Heat factor- Sandra wanted me to use only Serrano chili's...and said
if it was too hot, I could add more tomatillos to cut the heat. She
picked out about twice as many Serrano's and tomatillos as I ended
up using.

After tasting one of the Serrano chili's, I was a little leery of
this and decided to cut back on the Serrano's and added the Anaheim
chili for flavor.. I'm glad I did. It has some heat, but you can
still taste the flavor. If you want more heat, add more Serrano's.

Debra

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits"
-Albert Einstein

Gary O.

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
dfr...@rocketmail.com (Debra Fritz) wrote:

>On Fri, 07 Jan 00 21:55:39 GMT, gks...@nas.com (Garyl Kim Self)
>wrote:
>

>After tasting one of the Serrano chili's, I was a little leery of
>this and decided to cut back on the Serrano's and added the Anaheim
>chili for flavor.. I'm glad I did. It has some heat, but you can
>still taste the flavor. If you want more heat, add more Serrano's.
>
>Debra

This one is going into my collection! Thanks. While I have been
known to cook stuff that should fuel flame throwers---stuff that
tobasco sauce, even by the spponful, has no effect upon, I'm also
sensitive enough to sense the heat in the mild Anaheim chile. Heck, I
can even sense some heat in the rare Bell Pepper which has heat, so
I'll also take heed of your cook's notes, adjusting for amount of
spice desired. BTW, each little Serrano chile packs more punch than a
Jalapeno, despite the much greater size of the Jalapeno. I greatly
prefer the Serrano to the Jalapeno. Both have a dright, distinct
vegetal taste, but the Serrano is just right. And I ususally seek the
greater spice of the Serrano.

Sounds to me like you would be highly receptvie to Nancy Zaslavsky's
"A Cook's tour of Mexico", which has many similar classic recipes as
your friend's. Although authentic, none of Nancy's recipes seem to
have heat added for sensationalism. Do take note, however, that some
are just plain hot, as well.

Gary O.
trac...@pacbell.net

Debra Fritz

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00
On Sat, 08 Jan 2000 09:30:09 -0800, Gary O. <trac...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>This one is going into my collection! Thanks. While I have been
>known to cook stuff that should fuel flame throwers---stuff that
>tobasco sauce, even by the spponful, has no effect upon, I'm also
>sensitive enough to sense the heat in the mild Anaheim chile. Heck, I
>can even sense some heat in the rare Bell Pepper which has heat, so
>I'll also take heed of your cook's notes, adjusting for amount of
>spice desired.

You're welcome:):) I can take a fair amount of heat, but I find the
flavor of what I'm eating is lost in it. As I've experimented with
different recipes, I've found that the flavor of various chili's are
wonderful..*if* you can control the heat enough to taste them.

Mole is another thing where the subtle flavors of the ingredients
shouldn't be over-powered by heat, IMO.

>BTW, each little Serrano chile packs more punch than a
>Jalapeno, despite the much greater size of the Jalapeno. I greatly
>prefer the Serrano to the Jalapeno. Both have a dright, distinct
>vegetal taste, but the Serrano is just right. And I ususally seek the
>greater spice of the Serrano.

I've found the size of Seranno's varies...some are larger than
Jalapeno's..some smaller... Sometimes, it's hard to tell them apart.

I know you live out here, and wonder if you've ever shopped at the
Crawford's Market at Harbor & McFadden. It's in the shopping center
near WalMart. This is a Hispanic market, and the lady who gave me
the recipe works there. They have a wonderful selection of various
chili's, as well as other Hispanic food products.

>Sounds to me like you would be highly receptvie to Nancy Zaslavsky's
>"A Cook's tour of Mexico", which has many similar classic recipes as
>your friend's. Although authentic, none of Nancy's recipes seem to
>have heat added for sensationalism. Do take note, however, that some
>are just plain hot, as well.

I need to find that and look through it. I learned a lot about
Mexican cooking from some close friends who came from Mexico..and I
have American friends living in Ensenada who have learned to cook
from the locals...but I'm always looking for more ideas:):)

Sportkite1 (Ellen)

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00

Sorry for interjecting a Q of my own in this thread but i figgered you
guys might know what i'm talking about. Has anyone tried the Dona Maria
brand Green Mole? I just saw it in the market for the first time
recently. I'll admit that I do like DM's Mole in a jar quite a bit for
making chicken mole enchiladas fast and easy. The green looks veddy
interesting, but GREEN MOLE? Does such a creature exist? TIA, Ellen

Jack Schidt

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00

Sportkite1 (Ellen) <nyte...@x-kites.com> wrote in message

> Sorry for interjecting a Q of my own in this thread but i figgered you
> guys might know what i'm talking about. Has anyone tried the Dona Maria
> brand Green Mole? I just saw it in the market for the first time
> recently. I'll admit that I do like DM's Mole in a jar quite a bit for
> making chicken mole enchiladas fast and easy. The green looks veddy
> interesting, but GREEN MOLE? Does such a creature exist? TIA, Ellen

There are a lot of different types of mole, much like there are many asian
types of curry.

I don't have Dona Maria products here, but just saw some on a web site and
the green mole is what caught me eye.

Jack Mole

Siobhan Perricone

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00

On alt.food.mexican-cooking, the people who are more into "authentic
flavors" tend to recommend Dona Maria as a good brand to try. We found a
source online for it (and various other hard to get ingredients) that has
FREE SHIPPING (in the contiguous US) and the prices are less than I'd
expect to pay at the grocery store. The site is www.querico.com. It was
sorta slow, but it had a nice interface and shopping cart. We're expecting
our first order to arrive this coming week, so I can't speak to their
customer service yet. :)

Moles tend to be complicated sauces, and having something in jar for those
nights when you want a quick, tasty dinner is a pretty good thing. There's
both red and green moles available. :)
--
Siobhan Perricone
If you can read this, thank one of the thousands

cu-bro

Jan 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/9/00

i'm looking at it right here. ingredients: pumpkin seeds, soybean oil,
crackers[ wheat flour salt and corn starch], sesame seeds, peanuts, salt,
chili peppers, and natural flavors. distributed by herdez corp. carlsbad,
ca 92009 questions/ comments 1-800-333-7846 . hope this helps, zan