Fajita spice mix?

1 view

Bill Reque

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Can anyone give me a recipe for a Fajita spice mix? I'm well aware that
Fajitas are a tex-mex thing using cheap cuts of beef, originating on
cattle ranches, thus those chicken, shrimp, pork variations are phony.
I've tried several [Ortega, etc] mixes, but they are FAR too salt-laden.
Bill

MR B.

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00

This is a totally un-Authentic spice mix I use. After looking at about
50 varying fajita recipes , I bastardised this marinade.
After marinating all the juice and meat go into a frying pan and get
cooked (also un-authentic) and previously tender crisp peppers, and
onions etc...get added. The salsas,sour creams and cheeses get added at
the table with the tortillas. This works even if you go the more
authentic route of the skirt steak being grilled and then sliced thin.
(use the marinade as a basting/brushing sauce). But since I seem to like
the real messy lots of sauce juice type of fajitas I fry up my meat more
often then grilling.

Spicewise.....Adjust this recipe to your heat level (mine isn't very
high). I use a home-made Pico de Gallo Salsa that adds most of the heat.
I do like the odd Banana Pepper sandwich.

I measure spices using my palm to guesstimate amounts and I am a
generous kinda guy.
So this is just rough estimate.

Alan's Fajita Marinade
By: Alan Boles
mexican

1 tsp packed brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Chile powder (I probably use more of
this )
1 x salt & freshly ground pepper; or to
taste
1/4 -1/3 cup beer
1 x juice of fresh lime
2 dashes Worchester sauce
2 dashes tobasco sauce; or to taste (or different
pepper sauce)
2 cloves garlic , minced; or to taste

Lots of ground black pepper.
Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and microwave till good and hot
(but not boiling). This removes some of the alcohol and improves
flavour.
Steep till cool.
Put Fajita meat strips and marinade in a plastic bag (zip lock style).
and
remove excess air . Seal the plastic bag.
Marinate 6 hours to overnight in the fridge .

Yield:
Prep Time:
"Bill Reque" <re...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

AndroidCat XENU

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
> Can anyone give me a recipe for a Fajita spice mix? I'm well aware that
> Fajitas are a tex-mex thing using cheap cuts of beef, originating on
> cattle ranches, thus those chicken, shrimp, pork variations are phony.
> I've tried several [Ortega, etc] mixes, but they are FAR too salt-laden.
> Bill

Many wonderful recipes started out as "phony".

If you're not going to eat it, can I have your portion? :^)

Ron of that ilk.

Karen Anderson O'Mara

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
I use Penzeys Fajita Seasoning, that has flake salt, black pepper, red
pepper, oregano, garlic, basil, celery, marjoram, rosemary, thyme,
nutmet and cumin....

http://www.penzeys.com

Just made fajitas last week, too....

Karen

Dimitri

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00

> Can anyone give me a recipe for a Fajita spice mix? I'm well aware that
> Fajitas are a tex-mex thing using cheap cuts of beef, originating on
> cattle ranches, thus those chicken, shrimp, pork variations are phony.
> I've tried several [Ortega, etc] mixes, but they are FAR too salt-laden.
> Bill

If you are trying to get back to the *roots* then you really don't need all
those packets of pre salted and sugared spice mixes. Here is what you need:

Essential:
Meat
Lime juice (please no lemon juice)
Cilantro
A very hot grill or pan.

Optional:
Minced Chiles (to your liking, poblanos, jalepenos, seranos etc.)
Garlic
Onion
Cumin
Pepper
Mexican Oregano
Anything else you like and enjoy
Salt just before grilling

Marinate several hours or over night depending on the cut (note if using
shrimp or fish cut the time dramatically as the acid will *cook* the fish).

BBbearBB

Mar 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/3/00
Here is one that is veryyyy good.

Sizzling Steak Fajitas ala ßear

1 lb. Flank steak

2 tea. ground cumin

2 tea. chili powder

1/4 tea. salt

1/8 tea. black pepper

1/4 tea. red pepper

2 cloves minced garlic

4 (8-inch) flour tortillas

2 c. sliced onion

1/2 of a red bell pepper cut into strips

1/2 of a yellow bell pepper cut into strips

1/2 of a green bell pepper cut into strips

1/2 lime

liquid smoke (just a couple of shakes)

Slice steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips. Combine steak and
next 6 ingredients in a zip-top bag and shake well to coat. Heat enough oil in
non-stick pan to coat bottom on medium-high heat. Add steak, liquid smoke,
onion, and bell peppers. Sauté about 6 min. or until steak is done. Remove from
heat and squeeze lime juice over fajitas. Divide fajitas among warm tortillas
roll up and serve with Mexican rice.
Now I know it's hard to find a 1lb. Flank steak so if you have one 2 or 3
pounds just double up your ingredients accordingly. They make great leftovers.

Da ßear
Visit me for some Stinkin Recipes at http://www.angelfire.com/me/debear

Bill Reque

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Oh, I eat it, I'm just trying to avoid all that salt.
Bill

AndroidCat XENU wrote:

> Bill Reque <re...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone give me a recipe for a Fajita spice mix? I'm well aware that
> > Fajitas are a tex-mex thing using cheap cuts of beef, originating on
> > cattle ranches, thus those chicken, shrimp, pork variations are phony.
> > I've tried several [Ortega, etc] mixes, but they are FAR too salt-laden.
> > Bill

Bill Reque

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
This sounds like a good one, but I mix up my own blend of peppers
instead of "chili powder". I'm one of those people who love peppers, but
not hot ones. I try it.
Bill

Bill Reque

Mar 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/6/00
Yeah, they've sent me that Penzey catalog, but the prices are just a tad
high for someone like me who can find almost any kind of those things
here in San Francisco in bulk. The mixture sounds good, I'll just leave
out the salt.
Bill