My 1st for the Ebook

Dog 3

Sep 25, 2001, 3:54:11 AM9/25/01
I have adapted this recipe over the past 5 years. I do not know if it is
truly vegetarian and I'm sure it's probably not vegan. My vegetarian
friends love it. I usually serve this dish over pasta but it's a bit
tricky. This tends to be a thick dish so a delicate pasta such as angel
hair is not appropriate. Spaghetti is too thick and interveres with the
taste. I've found a thin spaghetti type of pasta works best. This dish is
also terrific scooped into big bowls with a bit of grated onion. Season to
taste but the recipe has seasoning guidelines.

Michael

Veggie Beans With Barley

Ingredients:

4 Quarts of water
1/2lb Dried Kidney Beans**
1/2lb Dried Great Northern Beans
1C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Garlic Cloves (large dice or crush with flat end of large knife)
1/4C Chopped Parsley (Italian Parsley can be used)
2 Small Onions (large dice)
1/4lb Barley
6 Carrots Chopped
1/2 Bunch Chopped Celery (trim tops but leave some of the green top)
1/2tsp Dried Basil
1/2tsp Dried Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
1 28oz Can of Whole Tomatoes (crushed with your hands)
2 Large Potatoes (cleaned, peeled and diced)
5oz Fresh Spinach (cleaned and trimmed - you can use an oz or 2 more)
Salt and Pepper to taste or 1/2tsp salt and 1tsp pepper***

**Canned kidney beans can be substituted and you can skip the 50 minutes in
step 2 to follow.

***Spicewise, this dish may be bland for some tastes. Keep tasting. I've
added mor and less of some spices. At times I've added cayenne pepper. use
your own judgement.

1. Bring water to the boil in a large covered pot.
2. Stir in kidney beans and cook uncovered over medium heat for 50
minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the great norther beans, olive oil, garlic, parsley, onions and
barley.
Cook over medium heat for 30 minutes.
4. Add carrots, celery, basil, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes and cook over
medium heat, stirring frequently for at least an hour or until beans
are
mushy.
5. Add potatoes, spinach, salt and pepper. Continue to cook and stir 30
minutes.

Serve over pasta or in brimming bowls with a small amount of shaved or
grated red onion. Excellent sides are a light viniagrette served over field
greens and a very crusty bread with

Damsel in dis Dress

Sep 25, 2001, 2:19:43 AM9/25/01
"Dog 3" <do...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Excellent sides are a light viniagrette served over field
>greens and a very crusty bread with

With what?

And how do you want to be listed in the cookbook?
And you live in Missouri, right?

Damsel the Nag
--
Damsel's Unofficial Web Home of RFC:
http://home.att.net/~edible-complex/rfc/

Dog 3

Sep 25, 2001, 5:29:51 AM9/25/01

:
: >Excellent sides are a light viniagrette served over field
: >greens and a very crusty bread with
:
: With what?

Dammit, I forgot the garlic olive oil dipping sauce for the bread.

:
: And how do you want to be listed in the cookbook?

: And you live in Missouri, right?

Just list me as Michael (Do...@mindspring.com) from St. Louis.

Just for being a nag, you get my sweet tooth casserole. Is this *better*
dear ;-)

Perfect for Halloween Parties.

Sweet Tooth Casserole
Submitted By: Michael (Do...@mindspring.com) from St. Louis

1 Giant bag of red licorice bits
1 Giant bag of M&Ms (1/2 regular and 1/2 peanut if desired)
1 Bag of Gummy Bears or Dots

In a large casserole dish spread the licorice to cover the bottom. Spread
M&Ms evenly on top. Get a big spoon and gently mix. Sprinkle top with Gummy
Bears and Dots for more color.

:
: Damsel the Nag