Tangelos!

lori ann selke

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

I got a whole boatload of tangelos in my farm box this week.
I've never had this fruit before.

I haven't eaten them out of hand yet, but I did use one last
night in cooking. They have one great feature, I've discovered:

They're *excellent* for zesting. It comes right off on the grater,
and it's no problem at all avoiding the pith.

I was quite pleased and impressed.

Lori
--
se...@midway.uchicago.edu
se...@io.com

Miche

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

In article <Eo0xv...@midway.uchicago.edu>

se...@midway.uchicago.edu (lori ann selke) writes:

> I got a whole boatload of tangelos in my farm box this week.
> I've never had this fruit before.
>
> I haven't eaten them out of hand yet, but I did use one last
> night in cooking. They have one great feature, I've discovered:
>
> They're *excellent* for zesting. It comes right off on the grater,
> and it's no problem at all avoiding the pith.
>
> I was quite pleased and impressed.

Here's a recipe for your tangeloes:

BAKED CHICKEN WITH TANGELO SAUCE

For 4 servings:

4 chicken thighs, skinned but not boned
4 tangeloes
about 2 teaspoons honey
some soy sauce
1 Tablespoon cornflour (cornstarch)

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C. Put the chicken thighs in a baking dish
in one layer. Put 1/2 teaspoon or so of honey on each and sprinkle
with soy sauce. Cut two thinnish slices from the 'equator' of each
tangelo. Put the slices on the chicken thighs, two per thigh. Cover
with foil and bake for about 40 minutes at 350F/180C.

Squeeze the juice from the remaining 'ends' of the tangeloes. Mix with
the cornflour (cornstarch). When the thighs are cooked, carefully pour
off the juices into a small saucepan, recover the thighs and keep them
warm. Stir the tangelo juice/cornflour (cornstarch) mix then add to
the saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly, until sauce boils and
thickens. Serve thighs on a bed of brown rice with the sauce poured
over, with a green salad on the side. Garnish with the tangelo slices.

Miche

------------
Miche Campbell <*>
Captain of the Starship Yentaprise
These are not necessarily the opinions of the University of Otago
You say Chaos like it's a *bad* thing!
Visit the home of The Jews Brothers, New Zealand's premier Klezmer
band! http://www.rouge.co.nz

Wilkinson

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

lori ann selke wrote:

> I got a whole boatload of tangelos in my farm box this week.
> I've never had this fruit before.
>
> I haven't eaten them out of hand yet, but I did use one last
> night in cooking. They have one great feature, I've discovered:
>
> They're *excellent* for zesting. It comes right off on the grater,
> and it's no problem at all avoiding the pith.
>
> I was quite pleased and impressed.
>
> Lori
> --
> se...@midway.uchicago.edu
> se...@io.com
> "Get up, wipe the slugs off your face. You'll be ready for a new day."
> -- My Own Private Idaho
Eat them out of hand. If you don't like them, I live in Houston...

Wendy W.

mel sorg

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

When I lived in Chicago the corner vegetable stand on Clark St, by
Jarvis, carried an orange I've never been able to find up here. I think
they were imported from Spain, and were about the size of a tangerine,
only they were extremely wrinkled, and the fruit rattled around inside
the skin.
I think they might have been called Clementines??

Am I imagining things?
madpoet

camphead design

Feb 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/7/98

I believe you're right; I first encountered Clemintines when living on the
east coast; they're popular around Christmastime.

--Becky

Ray Bruman

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

mel sorg wrote:

> I think they might have been called Clementines??
>

> Am I imagining things?

Not at all! Citrus comes in a wild array of variations, from
the size of a marble to bigger than your head, and they hybridize
promiscuously, limes with kumquats, grapefruits with pummeloes.
I just visited a rare fruit grower in Watsonville, CA who has
maybe a hundred trees, all different citrus.
Mandarins got the name "Tangerines" after they were introduced
to the court in Tangiers.

This is a good season to enjoy mandarins, oranges, and grapefruit!

--
Ray Bruman, Berkeley CA
Calif Rare Fruit Growers http://www.crfg.org

Miche

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

In article <34DDE1E8...@ix.netcom.com>
Ray Bruman <rbr...@ix.netcom.com> writes:

> Mandarins got the name "Tangerines" after they were introduced
> to the court in Tangiers.

I thought tangerines and mandarins were different. They certainly
_taste_ different. To my mind, tangerines have a 'smokiness' that
mandarins don't.

James Adrian van Wyk, PE, PP

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

Agroworld wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Feb 1998 18:36:41 -0800, "camphead design"
> <camp...@NOSPAMibm.net> wrote:
>

> >>When I lived in Chicago the corner vegetable stand on Clark St, by
> >>Jarvis, carried an orange I've never been able to find up here. I think
> >>they were imported from Spain, and were about the size of a tangerine,
> >>only they were extremely wrinkled, and the fruit rattled around inside
> >>the skin.
> >> I think they might have been called Clementines??
> >

> >I believe you're right; I first encountered Clemintines when living on the
> >east coast; they're popular around Christmastime.
> >
> >--Becky
> >

> Clemenitnes have no seeds and they are imported from Spain. There is
> not a big demand for them in the US. The larger fruit importers do
> cary them.
>
> Steve

Clementines are very popular in the New York - New Jersey _ Eastern
Pennsylvania area. They are popular with all ethnic groups, but they
are especially popular among East-Asian ethnic groups. Clementines are
sort of a thin skinned tangerine. Clementines come from Spain and
Morroco. Clementines are not seedless, at least not seedless the way a
navel orange is. They have few seeds, 0 to 3 per fruit. My experience
is they average about 1 or 2 seeds per 3 fruit. In a box, over half the
fruit have no seeds. I live in NJ, we eat a lot of them. They are
seasonal in Winter. The Spanish and Morrocan crops do not come in at
the same time. They are available late november till maybe March.
Price is $3.99 to $5.99 a box.

javw

James Adrian van Wyk, PE, PP

Feb 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/8/98

Mandarins or mandarin oranges refer to East-Asian varieties of
tangerines (Thick skinned).

javw

Agroworld

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

Miche

Feb 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/9/98

In article <6bm2al$f...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>

"James Adrian van Wyk, PE, PP" <jimv...@worldnet.att.net> writes:

> Mandarins or mandarin oranges refer to East-Asian varieties of
> tangerines (Thick skinned).

The mandarins you can get in New Zealand are thin-skinned, mostly, and
often loose-skinned. You can sometimes get the skin off in one piece.

Debra Fritz

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

On Sun, 08 Feb 1998 23:54:53 -0500, "James Adrian van Wyk, PE, PP"
<jimv...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

>Clementines are very popular in the New York - New Jersey _ Eastern
>Pennsylvania area. They are popular with all ethnic groups, but they
>are especially popular among East-Asian ethnic groups. Clementines are
>sort of a thin skinned tangerine. Clementines come from Spain and
>Morroco. Clementines are not seedless, at least not seedless the way a
>navel orange is. They have few seeds, 0 to 3 per fruit. My experience
>is they average about 1 or 2 seeds per 3 fruit. In a box, over half the
>fruit have no seeds. I live in NJ, we eat a lot of them. They are
>seasonal in Winter. The Spanish and Morrocan crops do not come in at
>the same time. They are available late november till maybe March.
>Price is $3.99 to $5.99 a box.
>
>javw

Are clementines a cross of some other things or a actual fruit
variety unto themselves????

Debra<--- who is trying to figure out what these are

To reply by email, please delete "dd" from my address.

johnny....@wachovia.com

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

The grocery store Harris Teeter carries them sometimes in this area. (Winston-
Salem, NC)

Johnny Birchett
jbi...@ibm.net

In article <34de651c...@news.netrox.net>,

Kristin Satterlee

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

I live in the Midwest (Urbana IL to be exact) and it seems like
every store in town has Clementines by the case this year. Making it hard
for me to find MY personal fave citrus fruit, Minneolas (SO tart and juicy
and flavorful!) EWhat do Clementines taste like?

-Kristin Satterlee

PENMART10

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.980211...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu>,
Kristin Satterlee <kri...@jaka.ece.uiuc.edu> writes:

>What do Clementines taste like?

A 49'er miner's darlin' daughter! ;)

Sheldon

Alan Zenreich

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

>>What do Clementines taste like?

They taste like chicken <vbg>

Beth R. Jarvis

Feb 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/12/98

>>>What do Clementines taste like?

They're very sweet, seedless oranges.

Totally yummy. I bought 3 boxes when they were $3-4/box but now that
they're up to $8, I'll pass.

Beth Jarvis Hart

James Adrian van Wyk, PE, PP

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

Yes mandrins have loose skins. By thick skin, I meant in comparison to
clementines, and honey tangerines (which are very thin skinned), etc.;
compared to navel oranges, manderines are thin skinned.

javw