REQUEST - MEAT LOAF RECIPES

Darwin J. Fedorick

Oct 3, 1994, 10:08:41 AM10/3/94
I'm looking for a good meat loaf recipe - possibly using tomatoes (fresh or
canned).

Any suggestions?

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Debra Fran Baker

Oct 4, 1994, 12:27:14 PM10/4/94

>I'm looking for a good meat loaf recipe - possibly using tomatoes (fresh or
>canned).

>Any suggestions?

This can't be called a recipe, but...

1 1/2 lb ground beef
One onion, grated
1/4 cup bread crumbs
A couple shots hot sauce
One egg
2 (or more) cloves of garlic, pressed
Freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon cold water
Italian seasoning (who measures?) or fresh herbs
Two small cans of tomato sauce

Combine all but one can of tomato sauce into a single gooey mass, and
form it into meatloaf shape in a pan or just pat it into a loaf pan.
Pour remaining tomato sauce over the meatloaf and bake at 350 degrees for
about an hour - use a meat thermometer to see when it is completely done.

Fresh or canned crushed tomatoes would work well inside the meatloaf -
add additional bread crumbs to soak up extra liquid if necessary.

This would also work if you use ground turkey in place of part of the
beef and/or an egg white instead of the whole egg.

Debra
* For its ways are ways of pleasantness and all its paths are peace. *
Debra Fran Baker dfb...@panix.com

Jinny Jones

Oct 4, 1994, 2:38:57 PM10/4/94
Darwin J. Fedorick (Darwin_J....@mouse.edmonton.ab.ca) wrote:
: I'm looking for a good meat loaf recipe - possibly using tomatoes (fresh or
: canned).

1 1/2 lbs ground meat (I prefer mixture of half ground beef, rest ground
veal and pork)
1 c. wheat germ (or bread crumbs)
2 eggs (to hold the other stuff together)
16 oz. can tomato sauce
1/2 c. sunflower seeds (optional, but give nice crunch)
1/4c. minced onion
1 tsp. salt
dash cayenne pepper

Combine the ingredients, bake one hour at 350 degrees.

Dalma R. Dickens

Oct 5, 1994, 10:04:35 AM10/5/94
In article <22147038...@mousegate.mouse.edmonton.ab.ca>

Darwin_J....@mouse.edmonton.ab.ca (Darwin J. Fedorick) writes:

Meat Loaf w/Sweet & Sour Sauce

1-1/2 lbs. ground round
small onion, chopped
1 egg
bread crumbs
4 oz. tomato sauce
salt/pepper to taste

Combine all above ingredients and mix well.

Sweet/Sour Sauce

4 oz. tomato sauce
couple oz. water
2 T. mustard
2 T. vinegar
2 T. Worchestershire sauce
3 T. brown sugar

Mix all ingredients for sauce. Pour about half of sauce over meatloaf.
Bake meet loaf at 350 for 1 15 min. Pour more sauce over meatloaf about
half way thru cooking time.

Leftover meatloaf makes delicious sandwiches.

The ingredients for the sauce aren't exact. I've been making this recipe
for so long I just kinda estimate the quantity. My family LOVES this meat-
loaf recipe and will not eat meatloaf anywhere, but home. Hope you enjoy
it!!!

Dalma

Nancy A Howells

Oct 6, 1994, 3:46:56 PM10/6/94

There are a couple of meatloaf recipes I like, and they both begin
with a common base.

Meatloaf base:

1 - 1.5 lbs. ground meat. This can be a mixture of ground beef and
ground pork, and can be only ground beef. I suppose using other
ground meats (chicken/turkey) might work, but they're dry, and you'd
need to experiment with binders to get them to come out "right."

2 eggs, beaten.

1/4 - 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs. I prefer commercial bread crumbs,
seasoned, so I use Progresso.

Now, for the first recipe:

Meatloaf batch. Mix all ingredients together. Add 1 tsp. cumin, 1
tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. chili powder. Add one
can Campbell's Chili Beef soup. Blend all together. press in bottom
of 9x9 pan, or (my preference) a bread pan. Bake at 400 F for an
hour. Let set a few moments (15 minutes) before slicing.

Second recipe:

Meatloaf batch. Mix all ingredients together. Add 1 tsp. garlic
powder, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1 T oregano, dried, 1 tsp. "Italian
Seasoning", 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese. Mix all together, well.

Press in 9x9 or bread pan. Bake at 400 F for 40 minutes. Pull out,
and add 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, and 1/4 cup mozzerella cheese
over the top. Return to oven for five minutes. In the meantime, mix
one can crushed tomatoes, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1 tsp oregano, 1 tsp.
"Italian Seasoning", 1 tsp. garlic powder, one finely chopped onion.

Now, you can either a) pull meatloaf out of oven, and top with tomato
mix, and then return to oven for 15 more minutes, OR, you can leave
the meatloaf in the oven for 10 minutes or so more, and heat this
sauce on the stove, serving it over the sliced loaf. Your choice.

--Nancy
how...@mit.edu

Dawn Kelley

Oct 7, 1994, 1:41:00 PM10/7/94
In article <HOWELLS.94...@pesto.mit.edu>, how...@athena.mit.edu
(Nancy A Howells) wrote:

> There are a couple of meatloaf recipes I like, and they both begin
> with a common base.

recipes deleted.

We love the no-tomato meatloaf my friend and I make. Here's the simple
recipe.

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 egg
1 cup sour cream and onion dip, or
1 cup sour cream and 1 pkg. Lipton onion soup mix
1 cup crushed saltine crackers
1 cup shredded carrots

Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Place in loaf pan and bake in
oven at 350 degrees F for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes and
serve.

Dawn

Sandy Kaplan

Oct 14, 1994, 2:56:53 PM10/14/94
Darwin_J....@mouse.edmonton.ab.ca (Darwin J. Fedorick) writes:

This is the best meatloaf I or anyone I've ever made it for has had:

MEATLOAF 72 MARKET STREET

3/4 C minced onion 3/4 C minced green onion
1/2 C minced celery 1/2 C minced carrot
1/4 C minced bell pepper 1/4 C minced red pepper
2 t minced garlic 3 T butter
1 t salt 1 t black pepper
1/2 t white pepper 1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground nutmeg 1/4 t cayenne pepper
1/2 C half and half 1/2 C catsup
1 1/2 # lean ground beef 1/2 # lean ground pork
3 eggs, beaten 3/4 C dry bread crumbs

Gravy

4 shallots, minced 2 T butter
1 sprig thyme 1 bay leaf
1 C dry white wine 1 C beef stock
1 C chicken stock salt, pepper
dash, crushed black pepper

Saute onion, green onion, celery, carrot, red and green
bell peppers and garlic in the butter until vegetables are
soft. Remove from skillet to a large bowl. Add salt,
black and white pepper, cumin, nutmeg and cayenne. Stir
in half and half, catsup, eggs and bread crumbs. Add
beef and pork. Mix well. Form into a loaf and place in a
greased baking dish. Bake at 350x for 45 to 50 minutes.

To make gravy, saute shallots in 1 tablespoon butter with
thyme, bay leaf and cracked black pepper. Add white wine
and simmer over high heat until reduced to glaze. Add
beef stock and chicken stock and simmer over high heat
until sauce is reduced by one-third to one-half. Stir in
remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Salt and pepper to taste.
Discard thyme sprig and bay leaf.

Let loaf stand 10 minutes before slicing. Pour off excess
fat. Slice and serve with gravy.

This is even better if refrigerated overnight. The
flavors have a chance to blend. Just slice into
individual portions and nuke on high for about two
minutes.

In the gravy, use Sherry. It's much better than white wine.

--
sa...@railnet.nshore.org (Sandy Kaplan)
Railnet BBS + 1 216 786 0476

Yoly Hughson

Oct 19, 1994, 9:58:09 PM10/19/94

I cooked the Meat Loaf 72 Market Street that Sandy Kaplan posted and it is
delicious. I fixed the half of the portion because we are only 2 people and
my pan is small. We always have left-overs but not this time. I am going to
cook the other half tonight and let the flavors blend and set better, as
Sandy suggested. For the gravy I used sherry like she said.

Yoly Hughson ( a mexican in missouri)

Barbara Hoess

Oct 20, 1994, 1:21:05 PM10/20/94

Peg Kay

Oct 31, 1994, 9:16:25 PM10/31/94

This one is not for purists.

Ask the butcher (or the meat guy at the supermarket) to slice a marrow
bone lengthwise for you so that you can scoop out the marrow easily.
Then put the marrow and two pounds of top round through the meat grinder
together at least three times. (If the butcher is particularly obliging,
he may do this for you). Season the meat with salt and papper to taste
and form it into a loaf about three inches wide and an inch and a half to
two inches thick. Spread the top of the loaf with softened butter (take
that! you nutritionally correct grunges)and broil the meat on a grill
over charcoal, close to the heat, for about five minutes. Turn it
carefully with two spatulas. The technique which seems to work best is
to slide the spatulas under the loaf from either end until they meet in
the middle and then half lift and half roll it over. Grill the other
side for five minutes or so and serve with hot lemon butter (gotcha again).

Lemon butter: Melt half a cup of butter over low heat and skim off the
foam. Add the juice of half a large lemon and salt and pepper to taste.

diane bongiorni

Nov 4, 1994, 11:32:49 AM11/4/94
Yum, yum, yum, Meatloaf and mashed potatoes.

Diane's Mutant Meat Loaf

1 TBSP. Butter
1 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
2-3 pounds ground beef/ or beef/lamb mixture
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups bread crumbs
2 whole eggs - beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 tsp. worshteshire (?) sauce
1 can sliced black olives and/or
1 can sliced mushrooms

Saute onion and garlic and butter until soft. Cool. Pour into a large
ceramic mixing bowl. Comgine all other ingreadients in order. Mix
together with your hands until well mixed. Form into a loaf in a 9x13
oblong pan. Pour additional tomato sauce on top. Bake in a 375 degree
oven for one hour.

Serve with mashed potatoes and enjoy.

Diane B.