Google Grupper har inte längre stöd för nya Usenet-inlägg eller -prenumerationer. Historiskt innehåll förblir synligt.

Zesty Carrots

0 visningar

Dog3

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 02:07:182001-04-11
till
My dear neighbors, Ann and her husband Gene, brought this dish
to our house the first day we moved in. I finally got the recipe
from her. It was early November. The movers left about 4pm and
we were starving. About the only thing I could find in the chaos
was the charcoal grill. I ran to the store, grabbed some ground
beef, onions, pickles buns and mustard. I also grabbed a bag of
charcoal, lighter fluid and a long BBQ spatula. I threw some
burgers on the grill. Ann, figuring what was going on, made this
side dish for us. The neighbors on the other side of us and
across the street also brought over a dish so we wound up with
quite a feast. One neighbor sent over a chocolate cake and the
other sent over a sour cream based pea salad which I intend to get
the recipe from one of these days.

Zesty Carrots:

8 carrots sliced into thin strips
2T grated onion
2T horseradish (either fresh made or store bought is ok)
1/2c mayonnaise (I either use my own or Hellman's)
1/4c water
1t salt
1/4t pepper

Cook the carrots in boiling salted water just until crisp tender.
Drain well and put into an 8x10 baking dish. Mix the remaining
ingredients until well incorporated and pour over the carrots.
Sprinkle buttered bread crumbs or crushed croutons and a dash of
paprika. Bake 15 minutes at 375. Serves 6.

notbob

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 02:45:252001-04-11
till
Dog3 wrote:

> My dear neighbors, Ann and her husband Gene, brought this dish
> to our house the first day we moved in.....

I love carrots and horseradish, so I'll give it a try, although I'm not
sure what to expect from baking a 1/2 cup of mayo. I changed the name
to Zippy Carrots since, for some unknown reason, I fly into a rage and
begin screaming obscenities at the tv whenever I hear the term,
"zesty". Thanks for the recipe.

nb

Dog3

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 03:14:032001-04-11
till

"notbob" <not...@NOThome.com> wrote in message

ROFL... Mayo does fine in the oven. I use mayo in my artichoke
and spinach dips. Just don't leave it in there for 2 or 3 hours
like I did once ;-)

Michael

Jean B.

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 10:49:302001-04-11
till
Dog3 wrote:

> My dear neighbors, Ann and her husband Gene, brought this dish
> to our house the first day we moved in. I finally got the recipe
> from her. It was early November. The movers left about 4pm and
> we were starving. About the only thing I could find in the chaos
> was the charcoal grill. I ran to the store, grabbed some ground
> beef, onions, pickles buns and mustard. I also grabbed a bag of
> charcoal, lighter fluid and a long BBQ spatula. I threw some
> burgers on the grill. Ann, figuring what was going on, made this
> side dish for us. The neighbors on the other side of us and
> across the street also brought over a dish so we wound up with
> quite a feast. One neighbor sent over a chocolate cake and the
> other sent over a sour cream based pea salad which I intend to get
> the recipe from one of these days.
>
> Zesty Carrots:
>
> 8 carrots sliced into thin strips
> 2T grated onion
> 2T horseradish (either fresh made or store bought is ok)
> 1/2c mayonnaise (I either use my own or Hellman's)
> 1/4c water
> 1t salt
> 1/4t pepper

[directions snipped]

Oh yes! My aunt makes a similar dish. Even though I am not crazy
about horseradish OR cooked mayo, this is pretty tasty.

Jean B.

Dan Daley

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 11:57:022001-04-11
till

You must love those new Taco-Hell TV Ads.

Ruddell

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 16:22:172001-04-11
till
In article <3AD46EFA...@rcn.com>, jb...@rcn.com says...

> Oh yes! My aunt makes a similar dish. Even though I am not crazy
> about horseradish OR cooked mayo, this is pretty tasty.

Sounds great! I never heard of such a dish, but probably will try it
soon (like tonight?)...dog's got some nice neibours eh?

Dennis

--
"Spring is when a young man's fancy turns to love"

Harley-Davidson Motorcycles

LoisTheGoddess

oläst,
11 apr. 2001 18:31:532001-04-11
till

"Dog3" <do...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Michael... oh please tell me you are speaking of an artichoke/spinach dip
somewhat akin to the creation that Appleby's makes.... kinda alfredo-y, and
topped with fresh grated parmesan, served warm with bread and chips. I'd
love to find how to make this, as it's the only way I really like spinach.
Would that be something similar to what you are talking about?

Jean

Dog3

oläst,
12 apr. 2001 00:53:032001-04-12
till

"Ruddell" <rud...@unibase.com> wrote in message

> In article <3AD46EFA...@rcn.com>, jb...@rcn.com says...
>
> > Oh yes! My aunt makes a similar dish. Even though I am not
crazy
> > about horseradish OR cooked mayo, this is pretty tasty.
>
> Sounds great! I never heard of such a dish, but probably will
try it
> soon (like tonight?)...dog's got some nice neibours eh?
>
> Dennis

Yep. My neighbors are very cool even though the average age in
this cul de sac is about 70. They all love to eat and party.
Some of them have been to cooking schools in France. They had a
neighborhood trip to Europe a few years back and while the some of
the guys and women hit the sidewalk cafe scene, the other men and
women took cooking classes. Some of the food they serve is
incredible.

Michael

Dog3

oläst,
12 apr. 2001 01:24:582001-04-12
till

"LoisTheGoddess" <lois...@spamfree.ipa.net> wrote in message

> Michael... oh please tell me you are speaking of an
artichoke/spinach dip
> somewhat akin to the creation that Appleby's makes.... kinda
alfredo-y, and
> topped with fresh grated parmesan, served warm with bread and
chips. I'd
> love to find how to make this, as it's the only way I really
like spinach.
> Would that be something similar to what you are talking about?
>
> Jean

Here ya' go. I have a lot of variations on this dip. The first
is my basic dip with mayo. The other 2 do not have mayo but are a
lot more complicated. I've got a bunch more if this doesn't get
you started.

Michael

BASIC ARTICHOKE DIP:

You can adjust these ingredients to suit your own taste. The
artichokes may be substituted for a 10oz package of frozen
spinach, thawed with the moisture completely squeezed out. You
may also 1/2 the artichokes and add 1/2 to 3/4 of a package of the
spinach. The important thing is to make certain the spinach
and/or artichokes are completely moisture free. Experiment with
the basic recipe. Eventually you'll come up with your own
creation.

8oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
15oz can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
3/4C mayonnaise
3/4C parmesan cheese

Mix all ingredients until they are well blended. Put mixture in a
pre-heated oven set at 350. Bake 20 minutes or until bubbly and
browning on top. Serve with crispy buttered toast points or
crackers.

SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP:

1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach -- thawed
1 cup artichoke hearts -- chopped
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t salt
1/8 t garlic powder
dash ground pepper
crackers or sliced toasted French bread

Simmer the spinach and artichoke hearts in a cup of water in a
small
saucepan over med. heat until tender, about 10 min. Drain in a
colander when done. Heat the cream cheese in a small bowl in the
microwave set on high for 1 min. Or, use a saucepan to heat the
cheese over med. heat just until hot. Add spinach and artichoke
hearts to the cream cheese and stir well. Stir in the Parmesan,
pepper flakes, salt, garlic powder and ground pepper, combining
well.
Serve hot with crackers or toasted bread for dipping.

Here's another more complicated variation:

ARTICHOKE AND SPINACH DIP
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 2 ounces)
1 cup chopped onions
1 (10-ounce) bag of fresh spinach, stemmed, rinsed and chopped
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
2 cans of artichoke hearts, julienned
Salt and cayenne
10-15 small corn tortillas, cut into fourths
Vegetable oil for frying
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Preheat the fryer. Combine 1/4
cup of the vegetable oil and flour, in a sauce pan over medium
heat. Stir the mixture constantly for 5 to 6 minutes for a blond
roux. Whisk in the milk and bring the liquid up to a boil. Season
the liquid with salt and cayenne. Simmer the liquid for 5 to 6
minutes, or until the liquid is thick and coats the back of a
spoon. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Set
the sauce aside. In a sauté pan, heat the remaining vegetable oil.
When the oil is hot, add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir
in handfuls of spinach at a time, until all the spinach is
incorporated. Add the garlic and artichoke and sauté for 2
minutes. Season the vegetables with salt and cayenne. Remove the
vegetables from the heat and turn into a mixing bowl. Fold the
Bechamel sauce into the vegetables. Turn the mixture into a baking
pan. Bake the dip for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden
brown. Fry the tortilla chips, batches at a time, for about 2 to 3
minutes or until the chips are golden and crispy. Remove from the
oil and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve the chips with the dip Yield: about 8 servings

Ruddell

oläst,
12 apr. 2001 12:05:182001-04-12
till
In article <9b3bms$8ah$1...@slb6.atl.mindspring.net>, do...@mindspring.com
says...

> Yep. My neighbors are very cool even though the average age in
> this cul de sac is about 70. They all love to eat and party.

Something we never want to grow out of...good for them!

> Some of them have been to cooking schools in France.

I've never had any formal lessons, just my mum and of course cookbooks
galore. I wanted to become a commercial cook when I left highschool,
but never did get enrolled...then life just sorta snowballed ;-)

> They had a
> neighborhood trip to Europe a few years back and while the some of
> the guys and women hit the sidewalk cafe scene, the other men and
> women took cooking classes.

I've been to Europe quite a few times and never once thought of taking a
class while there. Vacation goes by so quickly just trying to have
fun...but yes, if you make the time I'm sure it would be interesting.

> Some of the food they serve is
> incredible.

Yes, sounds like you picked a good neighborhood

Melba's Jammin'

oläst,
12 apr. 2001 13:59:372001-04-12
till
In article <9b3dg5$pad$1...@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>, "Dog3"
<do...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "LoisTheGoddess" <lois...@spamfree.ipa.net> wrote in message

> > Michael... oh please tell me you are speaking of an
> artichoke/spinach dip

> > Jean
>
> Here ya' go. I have a lot of variations on this dip. The first
> is my basic dip with mayo. The other 2 do not have mayo but are a
> lot more complicated. I've got a bunch more if this doesn't get
> you started.
>
> Michael

LOL! A friend was looking for some carrot recipes. I opened Michael's
post because I like his posts. No freakin' carrots anywhere! LOL!
Silly me!
--
Barb
"Only the pure of heart can make a good soup." Ludwig van Beethoven

Dog3

oläst,
12 apr. 2001 14:25:032001-04-12
till

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Here is my original post snookums <g>

My dear neighbors, Ann and her husband Gene, brought this dish

LoisTheGoddess

oläst,
12 apr. 2001 17:59:352001-04-12
till

"Melba's Jammin'" <barbsc...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Barb,

I'm sorry, I should have changed the header. I plead enthusiasm an
inexperience. I'll try to do better. :)

Jean

sue...@erols.com

oläst,
13 apr. 2001 09:46:042001-04-13
till
On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:24:58 -0500, rec.food.cooking "Dog3"
<do...@mindspring.com>wrote:

>Here ya' go. I have a lot of variations on this dip. The first
>is my basic dip with mayo. The other 2 do not have mayo but are a
>lot more complicated. I've got a bunch more if this doesn't get
>you started.
>
>Michael

Michael,

Several years ago we had a rich delicious artichoke dip with blue cheese. I have
tried to make it and can not come close.

Do you have anything like that in your files?

Thanks,

Sue

Melba's Jammin'

oläst,
13 apr. 2001 18:26:212001-04-13
till
In article <9b4rq1$6pe$1...@slb0.atl.mindspring.net>, "Dog3"
<do...@mindspring.com> wrote:
(snipped -- good luck tryiing to figure it out)

> > > Michael
> > >
> > LOL! A friend was looking for some carrot recipes. I opened
> Michael's
> > post because I like his posts. No freakin' carrots anywhere!
> LOL!
> > Silly me!
> > --
> > Barb
>
> Here is my original post snookums <g>
>
> My dear neighbors, Ann and her husband Gene, brought this dish
> to our house the first day we moved in. I finally got the recipe
>
> Zesty Carrots:

Yeah, yeah. I sent it to my friend Barb. She wanted to know what she
could sub for horseradish. I said 'nothing.' She wound up with
something off SOAR (they have a new address, didjaknow?) for
Pineapple-Glazed Carrots.
I just thought it was a riot that there in the carrot thread is a recipe
for -- artichoke dip. Not carrot pudding, not carrot relish, not Bugs
Bunny with Carrots Stuffed in His ...Nose. Artichoke Dip!! Maybe it's
because I've been decorating too many Easter eggs....

Dog3

oläst,
14 apr. 2001 00:56:532001-04-14
till

<sue...@erols.com> wrote in message

Sue, I've never made one and do not have an actual recipe handy
but I'll look again. I know I saw a recipe for it just recently.
Meantime, I do have this in my notes. I have no idea where I got
it. Sounds pretty simple. I'd just make the usual recipe and
throw in some really good blue in equal proportions to the parm.

Michael

Last night, a restaurant here in Dallas
served this as a starter while we browsed the
menus, it was delicious.
Make a spinach artichoke dip with cream
cheese and parmesan, but also add a good
quality blue cheese, at least as much as the
parmesan. Serve hot with country bread
sliced thin, sprinkled with fresh parsley and
parmesan, then toasted.

sue...@erols.com

oläst,
14 apr. 2001 08:55:532001-04-14
till
On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 23:56:53 -0500, rec.food.cooking "Dog3"
<do...@mindspring.com>wrote:

>Sue, I've never made one and do not have an actual recipe handy
>but I'll look again. I know I saw a recipe for it just recently.
>Meantime, I do have this in my notes. I have no idea where I got
>it. Sounds pretty simple. I'd just make the usual recipe and
>throw in some really good blue in equal proportions to the parm.
>
>Michael
>
>Last night, a restaurant here in Dallas
>served this as a starter while we browsed the
>menus, it was delicious.
>Make a spinach artichoke dip with cream
>cheese and parmesan, but also add a good
>quality blue cheese, at least as much as the
>parmesan. Serve hot with country bread
>sliced thin, sprinkled with fresh parsley and
>parmesan, then toasted.

Thanks Michael,

I think my big problem in making it was not using good cheeses.

Of course, not being able to reproduce it is a good excuse for going back
to the restaurant again!

Thanks again,

Sue

Nona Myers

oläst,
15 apr. 2001 09:36:462001-04-15
till
Speaking of zesty carrots, I really enjoyed the crunchy carrots
sliced lengthwise and marinated that Blacksalt brought to the
cook-in.
--
Nona Myers
(another hapa & foodie)

Jack and Kay Hartman

oläst,
15 apr. 2001 13:21:462001-04-15
till
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:36:46 GMT, Nona Myers <no...@mikan.com> wrote:

>Speaking of zesty carrots, I really enjoyed the crunchy carrots
>sliced lengthwise and marinated that Blacksalt brought to the
>cook-in.

Those were raw sweet potatoes and they were terrific.

Kay

Nona Myers

oläst,
15 apr. 2001 17:40:042001-04-15
till
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:21:46 GMT, hart...@mediaone.net (Jack and
Kay Hartman) wrote:

>Those were raw sweet potatoes and they were terrific.

Wow, sure had me fooled. Yes, they were super. BTW, I've made
your fresh ginger cake several times since the cook-in and it
always comes out great.

Here is another cake that I think is really tasty. This one
comes from Nell Newman.

Orange Chocolate Angel Food Cake with Blood Orange Syrup

1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
12 egg whites at room temperature
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice
3 tsp vanilla
3 oz dark orange chocolate
1 T orange rind
1 cup creme fraiche (optional)
3 C sliced strawberries (optional)
Blood Orange Syrup (recipe follows, optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grate chocolate (about the size
rice). Sift 1/4 of the sugar with the flour and salt 3 times.
Beat egg whites until frothy, then add the lemon juice. Continue
beating until soft peak stage. Sprinkle the remaining sugar onto
the egg whites a little at a time at low speed to combine.

Sift the flour/sugar mixture and grated chocolate (save 1/3 cup
for later) over the egg white mixture. Fold in gently by hand
and add vanilla and orange rind. Put batter in angel cake pan
(it's best to use non-stick) and bake for 45 minutes or until
lightly browned on top. Remove from oven and invert pan for 30
minutes. May be necessary to run a knife around the sides and
center to remove cleanly.

Serve with strawberry slices, creme fraiche, and blood orange
syrup. Sprinkle each piece with remaining grated chocolate.

Blood Orange Syrup

4 blood oranges, juiced
zest from 1 1/2 oranges
2 1/2 T sugar

Combine all ingredients in saucepan and simmer until thickened
and syrupy, approximately 30 minutes. Cool.

blacksalt

oläst,
16 apr. 2001 19:18:502001-04-16
till

Once again, this was 1 1/4 lb THIN sliced yam or sweet potato, marinated
overnight in 3 T rice vinegar, 1 teas toasted sesame oil, 1 1/2 T sugar,
1 teas salt. I put in a sealed container and shook a few times during
the rest. Just before serving add cilantro....I added quite a bit, whole
leaf.
I've discovered this, even with the cilantro, keeps pretty well over
night, or in a lunch pail. Very refreshing.
It is from From the Earth by Eileen Lo.
blacksalt

Brenda English

oläst,
25 apr. 2001 14:19:502001-04-25
till
I have a WOOOONDERFUL potato casserole recipe that uses mayo. It really
lends a nice texture and flavor to the dish.
0 nya meddelanden