FREE REC: Chicken Satay

1 view

Hag & Stenni

Sep 15, 2002, 6:42:48 AM9/15/02

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken Satay

Recipe By :Hag
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers

1/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup soy sauce -- (japanese)
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon coriander -- fresh ground
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon dry minced garlic or 2 cloves fresh
1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs

mix ingredients well until honey is dissolved. cut chicken
thighs into ž inch cubes or long strips. Marinade overnight.
Put meat on skewers and grill.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 610 Calories; 41g Fat
(57.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 1g
Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 4118mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0
Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 8 Fat; 3 1/2
Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : NOTES : As served at the Sept 2000 Hermann, Mo
Cook-In

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

The answer to the "men only want to protect women" spiel is in a great quote
by Dr. Mary Edwards Walker Civil War Medal of Honor recipient - "You men are
not our protectors... If you were, who would there be to protect us from?"

pull a Loraine Bobbit (cut off waynespenis) to reply...

Hag & Stenni

Sep 15, 2002, 6:42:55 AM9/15/02

aec

Sep 15, 2002, 10:23:37 AM9/15/02

"Hag & Stenni" <ste...@waynespenisyahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
news: 3d84641d...@news.newsguy.com...

Hmmm - I thought that "satay" meant that there were peanuts in it....this
looks really good, but I'm thinking there sound be peanut butter in there
somewhere - am I right?
Anne

aec

Sep 15, 2002, 10:37:33 AM9/15/02

"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
am2589$20r7q$1...@ID-137632.news.dfncis.de...

ps this is what is meant by looking a gift horse in the mouth, eh?
;-)

Padej Gajajiva

Sep 15, 2002, 10:41:04 AM9/15/02

"aec" <anne.c...@bull.net> wrote in message
> [...]

Well, I don't care for the recipe above, but withheld my comments
because it probably produce something that might be good, but not
satay as I know it.

The problem isn't the lack of peanuts, since that's in the
dipping sauce, but satay usually have the meat (pork, chicken, or
beef) thinly sliced and the marinade's "basic" ingredients should
be, at the very least, coconut milk and curry powder (Indian
curry, that is), plus other spices and ingredients depending on
different recipes.

--
Pad. Gajajiva Cleveland, Ohio

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Sep 15, 2002, 11:55:47 AM9/15/02

"Padej Gajajiva" <tr...@idt.net> wrote in message

> Well, I don't care for the recipe above, but withheld my comments
> because it probably produce something that might be good, but not
> satay as I know it.

I had similar thoughts but then thought the recipe was probably more similar
to Indonesian satay than Thai satay. They are quite different, IME.

> The problem isn't the lack of peanuts, since that's in the
> dipping sauce, but satay usually have the meat (pork, chicken, or
> beef) thinly sliced and the marinade's "basic" ingredients should
> be, at the very least, coconut milk and curry powder (Indian
> curry, that is), plus other spices and ingredients depending on
> different recipes.
>
> --
> Pad. Gajajiva Cleveland, Ohio

Indonesian satay doesn't seem to have any curry powder in it at all. I also
found it to be sweeter than what I was used to. The peanut sauce is
different, too, but I can't remember how it was different. Very vague
comments, I know, but it has been years since I was in Bali, and I haven't
had decent Thai satay or peanut sauce since dad died. Sigh!

rona

Padej Gajajiva

Sep 15, 2002, 1:11:16 PM9/15/02

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" <prasa...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Padej Gajajiva" <tr...@idt.net> wrote in message
> >

> > Well, I don't care for the recipe above, but withheld my
comments
> > because it probably produce something that might be good, but
not
> > satay as I know it.
> >

> I had similar thoughts but then thought the recipe was probably
more similar
> to Indonesian satay than Thai satay. They are quite different,
IME.

It's been so long since I've eaten Indonesian satay that I can't
even remember what it's like!

> > The problem isn't the lack of peanuts, since that's in the
> > dipping sauce, but satay usually have the meat (pork,
chicken, or
> > beef) thinly sliced and the marinade's "basic" ingredients
should
> > be, at the very least, coconut milk and curry powder (Indian
> > curry, that is), plus other spices and ingredients depending
on
> > different recipes.
> >
> > --
> > Pad. Gajajiva Cleveland, Ohio
> >

> Indonesian satay doesn't seem to have any curry powder in it at
all. I also
> found it to be sweeter than what I was used to. The peanut
sauce is
> different, too, but I can't remember how it was different.
Very vague
> comments, I know, but it has been years since I was in Bali,
and I haven't
> had decent Thai satay or peanut sauce since dad died. Sigh!

As I'm sure you know, good satay (unlike the ones that you buy in
the restaurant here, as good as they are) are very hard to find.
We make good satay, but it takes so much time to slice the pork
real thin, and oh the time to skewer all those paper-thin pieces
into the bamboo skewer! Cooking it is fun though, but you do
need to have those special charcoal burner that's intended just
for satay.

Gregory Morrow

Sep 15, 2002, 2:34:57 PM9/15/02

Padej Gajajiva wrote:

> Well, I don't care for the recipe above, but withheld my comments
> because it probably produce something that might be good, but not
> satay as I know it.

Since the OP is from Missoura, it should be labelled "Hoosier Satay".......

--
Best
Greg

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Sep 15, 2002, 7:35:06 PM9/15/02

> As I'm sure you know, good satay (unlike the ones that you buy in
> the restaurant here, as good as they are) are very hard to find.
> We make good satay, but it takes so much time to slice the pork
> real thin, and oh the time to skewer all those paper-thin pieces
> into the bamboo skewer! Cooking it is fun though, but you do
> need to have those special charcoal burner that's intended just
> for satay.

Whenever dad had cravings for satay but didn't want to go through all that
slicing/skewering (which was usually mom's job, anyway), he would make up a
quick batch of peanut sauce, then pan-fry pork cubes that had been marinated
in satay seasonings. Not really satay, but the flavours were there so it
satisfied the taste buds. Made a nice brunch--with toast, of course.

rona

Hag & Stenni

Sep 15, 2002, 8:36:33 PM9/15/02
On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 16:23:37 +0200, "aec"
<anne.c...@bull.net> wrote:

>"Hag & Stenni" <ste...@waynespenisyahoo.com> a écrit dans le message de
>news: 3d84641d...@news.newsguy.com...
>>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Chicken Satay
>>
>> Recipe By :Hag
>> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Appetizers
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1/4 cup lime juice
>> 1/4 cup soy sauce -- (japanese)
>> 3 tablespoons oil
>> 3 tablespoons honey
>> 1/2 teaspoon coriander -- fresh ground
>> 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
>> 1/2 teaspoon dry minced garlic or 2 cloves fresh
>> 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
>>
>> mix ingredients well until honey is dissolved. cut chicken

>> thighs into ¾ inch cubes or long strips. Marinade overnight.

>> Put meat on skewers and grill.
>>

>> - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> - - - - - - -
>>
>> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 610 Calories; 41g Fat
>> (57.4% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 64g Carbohydrate; 1g
>> Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 4118mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0
>> Grain(Starch); 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fruit; 8 Fat; 3 1/2
>> Other Carbohydrates.
>>
>> NOTES : NOTES : As served at the Sept 2000 Hermann, Mo
>> Cook-In
>
>Hmmm - I thought that "satay" meant that there were peanuts in it....this
>looks really good, but I'm thinking there sound be peanut butter in there
>somewhere - am I right?
>Anne

Nope, no peanuts...This is sort of a combination of 2 recs I
liked, one given to me by a friend while I was living on
Guam and coworkers wife who was Malaysian - im not sure what
specific local though...Yeah, this dog has no papers, but
both partys called them Satays........Hag k

Hag & Stenni

Sep 15, 2002, 8:43:25 PM9/15/02

Its actually kind of a Guamanian and Malaysian fussion...got
2 very similar recs from friends of said nationalitys...
Never any peanut sauce involved...I originaly thought they
were both and this one too vaugly similar to Japanese
Yakitori....Mmmm now Thai Satay w/ good peanut sauce is to
die for...Hag k

Hag & Stenni

Sep 15, 2002, 8:45:32 PM9/15/02

Chuckle...that would work for me...If anybody feels that
this rose is a petunia then so be it...."Hoosier
Satay"...Chuckle...Hag k