oops

1 view

PENMART10

Feb 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/27/00
In article <38B97526...@mindspring.com>, Goomba <goo...@mindspring.com>
writes:

>Anni McClung wrote:
>>
>> Sorry about the mail sig-
>> Guess I should have been a little more specific on the soup- it wasn't
>> minestrone, not even close. There was no pasta, or beans, and very
>> little tomatoe if any. My guess is she made it up and I will never get
>> the recipe!
>> Tah
>
>Minestrone simply means "Vegetable soup".. so it might as well still
>been minestrone.
>Goomba

Not really. Minestrone refers to a vegetable soup but that's not what the word
'minestrone' actually means... one of the things I remember from Maryanne
Esposito.

minestrone
see MINESTRA

Ookay....

minestra [mih-NAYS-truh]
Italian for "soup", minestra most often describes a soup of medium thickness,
frequently containing meat and vegetables. Minestrina ("little soup") is a thin
broth, while minestrone ("big soup") refers to a thick vegetable soup that
generally contains pasta and sometimes peas or beans. It's usually topped
liberally with grated Parmesan cheese and is hearty enough to be considered a
complete meal.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

MINESTRONE

1/2 pound (about 1 1/4 cups) dried white beans such as Great Northern, picked
over and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 pound pancetta (Italian cured pork belly, available at Italian markets and
specialty foods shops) or sliced lean bacon, chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 large carrot, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 rib of celery, cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 garlic cloves, chopped fine
2 zucchini, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1/4 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/2 pound boiling potatoes
4 cups shredded green cabbage (preferably Savoy)
1/2 pound kale, rinsed, drained, stems discarded, and the leaves chopped (about
6 cups)
a 28-ounce can tomatoes, chopped coarse and drained well
4 1/2 cups chicken broth (preferably low-salt)

freshly grated Parmesan, garlic bruschetta, and dry-cured sausages as
accompaniments

In a large bowl let the white beans soak in enough water to cover them by 2
inches overnight or quick-soak them. Drain the white beans, in a saucepan
combine them with enough water to cover them by 2 inches, and simmer them,
uncovered, adding more water if necessary to keep them barely covered, for 45
minutes to 1 hour, or until they are tender. Add the salt and simmer the white
beans for 5 minutes more. Remove the pan from the heat and let the white beans
stand, uncovered.

In a heavy kettle cook the pancetta in the oil over moderate heat, stirring,
until it is crisp and pale golden, add the onion, and cook the mixture,
stirring, until the onion is softened. Add the carrots, the celery, and the
garlic and cook the mixture, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the zucchini, the
green beans, and the potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice, and cook the
mixture, stirring, for 4 minutes. Add the cabbage and the kale and cook the
mixture, stirring, until the cabbage is wilted. Add the tomatoes and the broth
and simmer the soup, covered, for 1 hour.

Drain the white beans, reserving the liquid, in a blender or food processor
purée half of them with 1 cup of the reserved liquid, and stir the purée and
the remaining white beans into the soup. Simmer the soup, uncovered, for 15
minutes, thin it if desired with some of the remaining reserve liquid, and
season it with salt and pepper. The soup may be made 3 days in advance and kept
covered and chilled. Reheat the soup, thinning it with water as desired. Serve
the soup with the Parmesan, the bruschetta, and the sausages.

Makes about 10 cups, serving 6 to 8.

Gourmet
March 1993

Reviews:

Rachel D'Oro ( rac...@alaska.net ) from Anchorage, AK on 01/23/00
I was craving minestrone soup, but not the recipes I've tried in the past. This
is by far the best minestrone I've ever had. Tried it out on several friends,
and they all want the recipe! I added some small macaroni shells, thyme and
fresh basil. I diced up a pound of smoked sausage, browned it and add that,
too. Also added more liquid than the recipe calls for. And it's still thick and
rich. With crusty garlic bread and a nice merlot, it made a perfect dinner for
a cold Alaskan night........

A Cook from Branson MO on 12/12/99
Excellent minestrone soup. Needs more liquid than called for, unless you like
it very stew like. Also requires your favorite Italian spices. It is much
better on the second day.

A Cook from Cleveland-area, OH on 11/23/99
I made this for my strictly vegetarian and vegetable-selective teen-aged
daughter. It was a hit even with the "strange" vegetables. To keep it truly
vegetarian, I replaced the bacon with ham flavored soup base and used vegetable
instead of chicken broth. It makes ALOT so get ready some freezer space or plan
a casual dinner party!

Thom DeAngelis ( da...@erols.com ) from Baltimore,MD on 11/06/99
This soup was just wonderful.I'm Italian,but I never cared much for minestrone
. Boy, I sure like this one.

A Cook from New Jersey on 10/22/99
Yummy! One warning, do not overdo it on the vegetables, because the soup
becomes a stew - still incredibly delicious but a little thick. I added thyme
and fresh basil for some enhanced sweetness. Great for a dreary autumn evening!

More Reviews . . . .

Sheldon
````````````
On a recent Night Court rerun, Judge Harry Stone had a wonderful line:
"I try to keep an open mind, but not so open that my brains fall out."

Curly Sue

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
penm...@aol.com (PENMART10) wrote:

>>Minestrone simply means "Vegetable soup".. so it might as well still
>>been minestrone.
>>Goomba
>
>Not really. Minestrone refers to a vegetable soup but that's not what the word
>'minestrone' actually means... one of the things I remember from Maryanne
>Esposito.
>
>minestrone
>see MINESTRA
>
>Ookay....
>
>minestra [mih-NAYS-truh]
>Italian for "soup", minestra most often describes a soup of medium thickness,
>frequently containing meat and vegetables. Minestrina ("little soup") is a thin
>broth, while minestrone ("big soup") refers to a thick vegetable soup that
>generally contains pasta and sometimes peas or beans. It's usually topped
>liberally with grated Parmesan cheese and is hearty enough to be considered a
>complete meal.
>
>© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
>based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

What a coincidence- I posted this in another thread ("Hello Group")
earlier today:

Minestra is indeed, "soup."
Minestrone is "big soup."
Minestrina is "cute soup." (or -uccia)
Minestretta is "little soup."
Minestraccia is "bad soup."
Minestrissima is a "lot of soup." ;>

Approximately. (-issima is "very")

You just add the suffix to modify the meaning . Eg. Take your pick:
Sheldon
Sheldonone (big Sheldon)
Sheldonetto (little Sheldon)
Sheldonuccio (cute Sheldon)
Sheldonaccio (bad Sheldon)
Sheldonissimo (Sheldon to the extreme)

Sue(tm)

sue at interport net

PENMART10

Feb 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/28/00
In article <38b9dd07...@news.mindspring.com>, s...@addressin.sig (Curly
Sue) writes:

>Sheldon
>Sheldonone (big Sheldon)
>Sheldonetto (little Sheldon)
>Sheldonuccio (cute Sheldon)
>Sheldonaccio (bad Sheldon)
>Sheldonissimo (Sheldon to the extreme)
>
>Sue(tm)

Thanks Sue!

Gonna save this one... probably print it, frame it and hang it with my other
diplomas

zxc...@aol.com

Mar 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/1/00
s...@addressin.sig wrote:

> You just add the suffix to modify the meaning . Eg. Take your pick:

> Sheldon
> Sheldonone (big Sheldon)
> Sheldonetto (little Sheldon)
> Sheldonuccio (cute Sheldon)