Help - Fajitas ?

Anita Bautsch

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

Tomorrow is my daughter's 18th birthday and she wants me to make some Fajitas for
her. I bought the skirt steak to do it, but don't have a clue as to whether it needs
to be marinated or what?

Can anyone who is familiar with making fajitas give me some advice? Recipe for
marinade and/or seasoning, cooking instructions?

Thanks in advance,
Anita

Dimitri

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00

Anita Bautsch <abau...@ev1.net> wrote in message

Sure, The only essential ingredient in the marinade is lime juice not lemon
juice but lime juice and a little oil.

Optionally, you can add garlic, cilantro, and if you like a touch of cumin.
In addition you can add some pieces of your favorite chile (jalepeno,
serano, poblano etc.) I like to include the pieces of onion and bell peppers
(any color) with the meat to be marinated. If you really want to get fancy
add a shot of tequila to the marinade.

Enjoy,

Dimitri

Young

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Anita Bautsch wrote:

> Can anyone who is familiar with making fajitas give me some advice? Recipe for
> marinade and/or seasoning, cooking instructions?
>

> Thanks in advance,
> Anita

Well, marinate the meat in lime juice and minced garlic, for sure.
Making the guacamole will be tougher, as it's hard to find ripe
avocados. You'll need sour cream and homemade salsa or jarred
salsa. Shredded cheese. I'm not big on refried beans, but that
might be a good addition.

Cut the meat across the grain (the shorter side) thinly and diagonally.

Buy premade guacamole if you can't find ripe avocados. You have to have
guac.

nancy

Alan Boles

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
This is a marinade I use. I don't go the traditional way of grilling the
steak first and then cutting. I cut the steak up and marinate then pan fry.
Either way this marinade will work. You can replace the beer with either
water or more lime juice. I only heat it up to help in dissolving the sugar.
Alan's Fajita Marinade
By: Alan Boles
Mexican

1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Chile powder (ground chipotles work best)
salt & freshly ground pepper or to taste
.25 cup beer; or up to 1/2 cup
2.5 tablespoon juice lime; fresh is best
2 dashes Worchester sauce
2 dashes Tabasco sauce; or to taste
2 cloves garlic , minced; or to taste

Lots of ground black pepper.

Combine all ingredients in a glass bowl and microwave till good and hot
(but not boiling). This removes alcohol and improves flavour.
Steep till cool.
Put Fajita meat strips and marinade in a plastic bag (zip lock style). and
remove excess air .
Marinate 6 hours to overnight.

"Young" <qwe...@mail.monmouth.com> wrote in message

Tom Jones

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
Here's my favorite way to make Fajitas. I think this came from
my Texas Home Cookin' cookbook. They talk about how this woman
named Ninfa came to Houston from Mexico and brought with her what
we know as Fajitas. She opened up a restaurant, called Ninfa's.
People just couldn't get enough fajitas. Notice this
recipe doesn't contain any lime juice or cilantro. Anyway, this
is the easiest and my favorite recipe.

1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder

4 tbsp melted butter

1 skirt steak, about 2lbs

mix the spices together then sprinkle liberally over the steak,
you probably won't use all of the spices, save them
for another time. let marinate in the fridge for a
couple of hours. heat up the grill, when it's ready
dip the steak in the melted butter making sure it's
coated well. toss on the hot grill and stand back.
turn the steak over from time to time. I don't remember
the total time but you want the meat to be medium to
medium well. serve with grilled onions and red/green peppers
on tortillas

Tom

Anita Bautsch wrote:

> Tomorrow is my daughter's 18th birthday and she wants me to make some Fajitas for
> her. I bought the skirt steak to do it, but don't have a clue as to whether it needs
> to be marinated or what?

Zxcvbob

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
> Sure, The only essential ingredient in the marinade is lime juice not lemon
> juice but lime juice and a little oil.
>
> Optionally, you can add garlic, cilantro, and if you like a touch of cumin.
> In addition you can add some pieces of your favorite chile (jalepeno,
> serano, poblano etc.) I like to include the pieces of onion and bell peppers
> (any color) with the meat to be marinated. If you really want to get fancy
> add a shot of tequila to the marinade.

IMHO, the essential ingredient (besides the meat) is *freshly ground*
black pepper. It has a wonderful citrusy smell and complex taste that
you don't get with the preground pepper.

regards,
bob

--
"That boy's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver."
-- Foghorn Leghorn

Anita Bautsch

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
Thanks to everyone who sent me their favorite fajita recipe. They turned out great.

http://hometown.aol.com/recipeoasis

Alan Boles

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
What did you do? Which recipes did you use? Come on now give us the low
down...

"Anita Bautsch" <abau...@ev1.net> wrote in message

Kris Dow

Apr 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/19/00
On Fri, 07 Apr 2000 11:50:52 -0500, Zxcvbob <zxc...@tcw.net> wrote:
>> Sure, The only essential ingredient in the marinade is lime juice not lemon
>> juice but lime juice and a little oil.
>>
>> Optionally, you can add garlic, cilantro, and if you like a touch of cumin.
>> In addition you can add some pieces of your favorite chile (jalepeno,
>> serano, poblano etc.) I like to include the pieces of onion and bell peppers
>> (any color) with the meat to be marinated. If you really want to get fancy
>> add a shot of tequila to the marinade.
>>

>IMHO, the essential ingredient (besides the meat) is *freshly ground*
>black pepper. It has a wonderful citrusy smell and complex taste that
>you don't get with the preground pepper.

People use preground? The only time I use preground is if I'm
trying to recreate the taste of something my grandmother makes- she used
preground when I was younger, and it does change the taste of some things.
For normal cooking, I have one of those salt shaker/pepper grinder combos
that sits by the stove. Very handy.

-Kris